PDA

View Full Version : Is this unsporting behaviour?

Billy Whizz
07-12-2020, 12:11 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55214584

He was booked for walking this in!

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:14 PM
As piers Morgan would say, the world's gone nuts.

Northernhibee
07-12-2020, 12:15 PM
By the letter of the laws of the game, it's not a booking but I'm glad the referee has given that as a yellow. There's literally no need for him to do that, the look over his shoulder says it all.

Seveno
07-12-2020, 12:16 PM
It showed a total lack of respect for their opponents and deserved censure.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:16 PM
By the letter of the laws of the game, it's not a booking but I'm glad the referee has given that as a yellow. There's literally no need for him to do that, the look over his shoulder says it all.

Nah not for me , they will be booking players who nutmeg opposition players next.

Northernhibee
07-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Nah not for me , they will be booking players who nutmeg opposition players next.

They won't.

Northernhibee
07-12-2020, 12:18 PM

The most similar thing I can think of is Balotelli for Man City spinning round in the penalty box and trying to backheel it in during a pre-season friendly and being hooked immediately by the manager.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:21 PM
They won't.

Well they have started booking players for walking the ball into an empty net, and only because one of the opposition was angry. He was the one who should have been booked for unnecessary aggression to an opponent.

judas
07-12-2020, 12:22 PM
I hear the ref is a big Millwall fan.

Peevemor
07-12-2020, 12:24 PM
With 2 minutes of time added on still to play, I think it was more to run down the clock than to wind up the other team so undeserved booking IMO.

Northernhibee
07-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Well they have started booking players for walking the ball into an empty net, and only because one of the opposition was angry. He was the one who should have been booked for unnecessary aggression to an opponent.

They won't. For your logic to work the "they'll start doing x next" the outcome has to be realistic, or it has to be relevant to the original action, which it isn't.

Nutmegging an opponent is getting the ball past them and getting away from them. That wasn't a booking for "walking the ball into the net", it was time wasting and an obvious sign of disrespect.

If they start booking the opposition player for "unneccessary aggression to an opponent" they'll start booking fans for buying a pie at half time soon.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:27 PM
They won't. For your logic to work the "they'll start doing x next" the outcome has to be realistic, which it isn't.

I used to think it was unrealistic to walk a ball into an empty net and be booked for it.

Keith_M
07-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Taking the p1ss.

No idea if that's under the official yellow card criteria, though.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2020, 12:31 PM
To be booked for that is mental. So what if he was winding the opposition up, all part of the game. He’d probably been booted up and down the place for the previous 90 minutes.

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 12:31 PM
i guess it was for time wasting, not un-gentlemanly conduct.

matty_f
07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
I think it's the waiting until the keeper is nearly there before scoring that is the issue, if that's the case though, keepers should be booked for letting a striker closing in on them get near before they pick the ball up.

I don't think he should have been booked for it, poor decision from the ref, IMHO.

Magpie
07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
You don’t get booked for holding onto the ball by the corner flag to waste time so what’s wrong with this?

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Never a booking in a million years.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Can't see it being for time wasting, watch the ref, he's not booking the player until the opposition player gets involved.

I'm Spartacus
07-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Never a booking for me BUT could it be classed as inciting the opposition? Any rage should be directed at the defender and keeper for not communicating

superfurryhibby
07-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Shan patter, but never a booking.

McSwanky
07-12-2020, 12:40 PM
I used to think it was unrealistic to walk a ball into an empty net and be booked for it.

So you actually think that they might start booking a player that nutmegs the opposition? Aye, right!

Anyway, that aside, I agree with you. It's a farce of a booking - whether it's to wind the clock down or wind the opposition up, he's perfectly entitled to do it, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm disappointed with the guy though. He should, of course, have got down on all 4s and headed it into the net.

easty
07-12-2020, 12:41 PM
If anyone should’ve been booked it’s the boy who ran over and squared up to him.

Nothing wrong with what the boys done here. It’s not like he lay down to header it in, he’s under no obligation to rush, no more than a keeper who waits for someone to close him down before picking the ball up.

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Time wasting? The ball is in play, no different to taking it to the corner. He could’ve turned around and played a few passes if he really wanted to. Running the clock down when the ball is in play is legal, it’s down to the opposition to get the ball back, no different to a goalkeeper keeping the ball at his feet before picking it up when a player eventually charges it down. Disrespectful for not putting the ball into the net in as quick a time as he could and having the temerity to look over his shoulder 😂 ref should be binned for not having a scooby about the rules.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2020, 12:43 PM
I'm quite often finding myself holding an opposing point of view to many on here and sometimes I wonder if my view on certain issues is unusual.

Today's one of those times.

That is never a booking in a month of Sundays and I'm amazed that anyone could think otherwise. He's scored a perfectly good goal. So what if he was showboating a bit? If the other team's defending wasn't so bad, he wouldn't have had the opportunity.

McSwanky
07-12-2020, 12:45 PM
I'm quite often finding myself holding an opposing point of view to many on here and sometimes I wonder if my view on certain issues is unusual.

That is never a booking in a month of Sundays and I'm amazed that anyone could think otherwise. He's scored a perfectly good goal. So what if he was showboating a bit? If the other team's defending wasn't so bad, he wouldn't have had the opportunity.

Eh? I think the vast majority on this thread are saying it was never a booking?

jacomo

Why? What?

Not his fault if the opposition made a total hash of it.

Guys done nothing wrong from a legal or moral point of view. The booking is a total joke.

Sir David Gray

Time wasting is only a thing when a player delays the restart of play. The ball was in play the full time that he dribbled the ball up to the goal line so it cannot be deemed to be time wasting.

Peevemor
07-12-2020, 12:46 PM

I haven't counted, but opinions seem to be split about 50/50 on this one.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Eh? I think the vast majority on this thread are saying it was never a booking?

The fact that anyone can think it was a booking has me bewildered to be honest.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2020, 12:48 PM
I haven't counted, but opinions seem to be split about 50/50 on this one.

Yes my point is it I really don't think it should be so split.

It's so not a booking that I'm struggling to understand how anyone could think that it was.

James Stephen
07-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Unsporting?

He should be booked for not getting down on his hands and knees and heading it in, 3-and-in style.

In all seriousness, I think the big choob getting in his face got him booked. Don't see what's wrong with a bit of showboating and running the clock down. If you don't like it as the opposition, then do better and don't give them the opportunity to take the mick out of you.

Jones28
07-12-2020, 12:50 PM
If I’d read the thread I would have said it’s ridiculous he got booked, but having watched the clip I can kind of see why the referee has booked him. Probably still come down on the side of no booking though.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2020, 12:51 PM
So you actually think that they might start booking a player that nutmegs the opposition? Aye, right!

Anyway, that aside, I agree with you. It's a farce of a booking - whether it's to wind the clock down or wind the opposition up, he's perfectly entitled to do it, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm disappointed with the guy though. He should, of course, have got down on all 4s and headed it into the net.

Showboating has now been booked, is it to far fetched now to see players booked for playing keepy uppy, or nutmegging, it's a slippy slope that's started here.

The 90+2
07-12-2020, 12:55 PM
I can see why he was booked. Deliberately winding up the opposition. Still a **** thing for the ref to do.

Magpie
07-12-2020, 12:57 PM
I can see why he was booked. Deliberately winding up the opposition. Still a **** thing for the ref to do.

Players deliberately wind up opposition players by shielding the ball by the corner flag regularly, never a booking.

McSwanky
07-12-2020, 12:59 PM
is it to far fetched now to see players booked for playing keepy uppy, or nutmegging

Yes.

Scouse Hibee
07-12-2020, 01:04 PM

A ridiculous booking regardless.

JimBHibees
07-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong what he did. Only got booked because a Bremen player was having a go at him

The 90+2
07-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Players deliberately wind up opposition players by shielding the ball by the corner flag regularly, never a booking.

Aye didn’t say I agreed with it. Gives the ref an opportunity though when you have all the opposition players surrounding them.

h185forever
07-12-2020, 01:07 PM
The ref turns away after he scores, so its not a booking up to that point. ....opposition player squares up to him and the camera cuts away to the booking. It also stops as the ref turns to go after the opposition player after booking the scorer.

For me ....booking was for what happened during the squaring up.

Almost BBC like in showing joined clips to make a story out of nothing.

Unseen work
07-12-2020, 01:08 PM
How can people say it’s time wasting? The ball is in play.

No different from taking the ball to the corner or slowly passing about at the back to wind down the clock.

Its wound up the opposition but it is not a booking. They should be more concerned about their mistake that caused the goal.

Clarence
07-12-2020, 01:08 PM
If someone did that at fives you’d think he was a prick but it’s not a booking.

Broken Gnome
07-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Never a booking.

More disappointingly, a few opportunities missed in this thread for debate on in-play time wasting to move onto graver historical injustices. I'm deeply concerned that some seem to be over the Celtic Tennents Sixes fiasco.

Magpie
07-12-2020, 01:15 PM
The ref turns away after he scores, so its not a booking up to that point. ....opposition player squares up to him and the camera cuts away to the booking. It also stops as the ref turns to go after the opposition player after booking the scorer.

He puts his hands up and tries to get away from the opposing player and seems to not do anything worth getting booked after scoring the goal.

h185forever
07-12-2020, 01:16 PM
He puts his hands up and tries to get away from the opposing player and seems to not do anything worth getting booked after scoring the goal.
just checked on livescore ..both players booked in the 90+1 minute ....same minute as the goal

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Never a booking.

More disappointingly, a few opportunities missed in this thread for debate on in-play time wasting to move onto graver historical injustices. I'm deeply concerned that some seem to be over the Celtic Tennents Sixes fiasco.

Main thing I’m thinking of as I read this thread tbh. One of the worst ever decisions. Total coincidence it was against half of the OF in Glasgow of course [emoji1781]

This is never a booking either. Total nonsense

Greenbeard
07-12-2020, 01:19 PM
You don’t get booked for holding onto the ball by the corner flag to waste time so what’s wrong with this?
Beat me to it. There is no netball 3-second rule in football last time I looked. If you are in possession of the ball you are under no obligation to pass it or shoot quickly.

Peevemor
07-12-2020, 01:20 PM
Main thing I’m thinking of as I read this thread tbh. One of the worst ever decisions. Total coincidence it was against half of the OF in Glasgow of course [emoji1781]

This is never a booking either. Total nonsense

The Tennents Sixes one is appropriate because it was also running down the clock, but Gascoigne being booked for "booking" the ref is probably the worst I've seen.

Magpie
07-12-2020, 01:22 PM
just checked on livescore ..both players booked in the 90+1 minute ....same minute as the goal

Yeah they both got booked but I don’t see why the goalscorer got booked because he did nothing wrong and avoided confrontation with the player who was kicking off.

h185forever
07-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Yeah they both got booked but I don’t see why the goalscorer got booked because he did nothing wrong and avoided confrontation with the player who was kicking off.

Im not disputing that and it does appear he did nothing wrong....although the full squaring up incident isnt shown , just selected bits.

Refs in Scotland book both players quite frequently even when its obvious one has done nothing.

I still dont think his booking was for scoring in the manner he did, as there is no offence there.

Sergio sledge
07-12-2020, 01:39 PM
They won't. For your logic to work the "they'll start doing x next" the outcome has to be realistic, or it has to be relevant to the original action, which it isn't.

Nutmegging an opponent is getting the ball past them and getting away from them. That wasn't a booking for "walking the ball into the net", it was time wasting and an obvious sign of disrespect.

If they start booking the opposition player for "unneccessary aggression to an opponent" they'll start booking fans for buying a pie at half time soon.

I hope Jim Baxter got booked for this "obvious sign of disrespect".... https://tinyurl.com/y2bx9yyw

There was literally no need for him to do the keepy-uppies but it's heralded in Scottish Football as genius.

This guy tries to waste a few seconds by slowing down the play when they are 1-0 up in the 91st minute, something he's perfectly entitled to do. I'm glad the number 9 for the other team got a booking, his reaction was ridiculous.

Anyway, why do footballers get so angry about stuff like this? If you watch rugby sevens this happens on a lot of the scores as the try scorer walks the ball under the posts to make the conversion easier and run out the clock a bit. No-one is disrespected, no-one gets angry and no-one cares.

Slim Shady
07-12-2020, 01:54 PM

The first part of your post says it all.

By letter of the law.

Although it’s referee interpretation, he can’t make up laws that don’t exist.
There is nothing in the laws of the game that permits a caution for his actions here.

CropleyWasGod
07-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Old timers might remember Jock Stein berating Bertie Auld for sitting on the ball during a game. His take on it was that it was disrespectful to his fellow professionals.

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2020, 02:08 PM
this is normal in rugby union/sevens/league when a player makes it over the line it's common practise if he has time he will give every player/referee a few extra seconds to get their breaths back, then touch down, what a palaver

WhileTheChief..
07-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Did nothing wrong.

It’s hardly showing disrespect, more taking the pis* a bit, which the opposition deserved!

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2020, 02:22 PM
No and yes

Taking the piss and showing disrespect to a fellow professional

KDY Hibs
07-12-2020, 02:24 PM
How can people say it’s time wasting? The ball is in play.

No different from taking the ball to the corner or slowly passing about at the back to wind down the clock.

Its wound up the opposition but it is not a booking. They should be more concerned about their mistake that caused the goal.

This.

neil7908
07-12-2020, 02:41 PM
I'm really torn on this. It's clearly a big FU to the opposition, and no different imo to getting in their face when celebrating a goal.

Can't say it sat very well with me but don't see how he can be booked, unless under some vague unsporting conduct term. But that is very open to interpretation and wildly inconsistent.

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 02:45 PM
I'm really torn on this. It's clearly a big FU to the opposition, and no different imo to getting in their face when celebrating a goal.

Can't say it sat very well with me but don't see how he can be booked, unless under some vague unsporting conduct term. But that is very open to interpretation and wildly inconsistent.

Of course it’s a FU to the opposition, he’s scoring against them, he’s hardly going to be apologising as he puts the ball in the net. He walks up and kicks it into the net, no different to a no look pass or a rainbow flick over the head. Worthy of someone going up and booting him the next time he gets the ball? Probably, worthy of any action from the ref? No chance.

Brooster
07-12-2020, 02:57 PM
The big baby in green needs to have a serious word with himself. The scorer does nothing wrong. The baws burst if thats a booking.

The_Exile
07-12-2020, 02:58 PM
Absolute joke of a booking, a player can score a goal however they like as far as I’m concerned, the authorities won’t be happy until they’ve got 22 robots on the pitch and showing no emotions.

The NFL took utter dogs abuse for clamping down on excessive celebrations and got designated the No Fun League.

wookie70
07-12-2020, 03:24 PM
The only thing I can see that this could be a booking is "shows a lack of respect for the game". Not a booking for me as he can take as long as he wants and he wasn't doing anything untoward imo. The player who charged over and got in his face deserved the booking more. Jim Baxter sitting on the ball wouldn't be allowed by that ref.

The dalmeny
07-12-2020, 03:35 PM
With 2 minutes of time added on still to play, I think it was more to run down the clock than to wind up the other team so undeserved booking IMO.

just like taking the ball into the corner

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Good points regarding my earlier suggestion that it was for time wasting. Your are all right..the ball was in play so he can do what he wants. I have no idea why he would be booked...poor decision by the ref.

jacomo
07-12-2020, 04:01 PM

I hope this is the case.

PeeJay
07-12-2020, 04:04 PM
If anyone should’ve been booked it’s the boy who ran over and squared up to him.

Nothing wrong with what the boys done here. It’s not like he lay down to header it in, he’s under no obligation to rush, no more than a keeper who waits for someone to close him down before picking the ball up.

The "boy" David Selke was booked, they both were, Selke and Wamangituka, Selke for saying nasty things and Stuttgart player Wamangituka (apparently) for provoking said action in the first place (in the ref's opinion): nothing to do with how the ball crossed the line, which I personally found unnecessary/unsporting ... Selke deserved the booking, Wamangituka didn't ...

brianmc
07-12-2020, 04:21 PM
If he committed an 'unsporting act' before the ball was kicked into the net why wasn't play stopped and a free kick awarded to Bremen?

Bonkers decision from the ref.

easty
07-12-2020, 04:25 PM
The "boy" David Selke was booked, they both were, Selke and Wamangituka, Selke for saying nasty things and Stuttgart player Wamangituka (apparently) for provoking said action in the first place (in the ref's opinion): nothing to do with how the ball crossed the line, which I personally found unnecessary/unsporting ... Selke deserved the booking, Wamangituka didn't ...

Not sure why you’ve put boy in inverted commas...

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 04:29 PM

thanks for clarifying what actually happened. :agree:

PeeJay
07-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Not sure why you’ve put boy in inverted commas...

Just being pedantic sorry - the boy has a name ... :greengrin

Centre Hawf
07-12-2020, 05:37 PM

This is how I saw it. Same as the keeper waiting till the striker comes right over to him before picking the ball up. It was all a time wasting tactic for me. Even if you think it's disrespectful somehow then I still don't see how you can ask the referee to enforce a punishment on him for it. Pathetic from the referee imo.

greenlex
07-12-2020, 06:09 PM
I think it's the waiting until the keeper is nearly there before scoring that is the issue, if that's the case though, keepers should be booked for letting a striker closing in on them get near before they pick the ball up.

I don't think he should have been booked for it, poor decision from the ref, IMHO.
This 100%

Radge70
07-12-2020, 06:31 PM

Could well be as the boy didn't seem to have any complaints about being booked, which he also probably would have done if time wasting was his thing.

Iggy Pope
07-12-2020, 06:54 PM

Ungentlemanly conduct doesn’t appear to be a modern offence, it could only be “unsporting behaviour “ based on this lack of respect note below.
The player couldn’t be guilty of delaying a restart if the ball is still in play.
Crap decision by the referee really.

Cut and paste from the FA website.

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:
delaying the restart of play
dissent by word or action
entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a dropped ball, corner kick, free kick or throw-in
persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes “persistent”)
unsporting behaviour
entering the referee review area (RRA)
excessively using the 'review' (TV screen) signal

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission (see Law 3)
commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
commits any other offence which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick
handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal
makes unauthorised marks on the field of play
plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave
shows a lack of respect for the game
uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands
verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

Eyrie
07-12-2020, 06:58 PM
I've got no issue with Wamangituka walking the ball into the net.

The only bookable offence is when the Bremen player confronts him afterwards.

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Ungentlemanly conduct doesn’t appear to be a modern offence, it could only be “unsporting behaviour “ based on this lack of respect note below.
The player couldn’t be guilty of delaying a restart if the ball is still in play.
Crap decision by the referee really.

I had already withdrawn my original view....read the whole thread.....your worshipful Pontiff :greengrin

Iggy Pope
07-12-2020, 07:26 PM
I had already withdrawn my original view....read the whole thread.....your worshipful Pontiff :greengrin

Sorry my son, I was quoting too early. Still makes the Ref look a bit of a twat though!

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 07:32 PM
Sorry my son, I was quoting too early. Still makes the Ref look a bit of a twat though!

it's not often they look like anything else :greengrin

EdinMike
07-12-2020, 07:50 PM
It’s awffy pedantic. Was it for time wasting or unsporting behaviour ?! Only the ref will know.

Radium
07-12-2020, 09:32 PM
https://youtu.be/O_dKUq_Z0ag

The BT coverage, even the commentator interpreted it as running down the clock.

From the clock, no breaks in the coverage and can’t see any ‘afters’ that could lead to a booking.

Poor decision by the referee, no booking required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB_NO3
07-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Horrendous decision. Never a booking. Assume the ref was crap at football as a kid

Aim Here
07-12-2020, 09:50 PM

Timewasting is not any kind of infringement, bookable or otherwise, when the ball is in play.

WeeRussell
07-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Benji done something a little similar for us against lower league opposition (I think?) in a cup game. Had the keeper beat and slowly stepped the ball to the line with a swagger before blasting it in.

Of course it’s not a booking and I don’t see why people get upset by this sort of thing. Almost as bad as people playing the ‘’lack of respect’ card when a flair player does something exciting to beat someone with a trick.

What I can say is it’s impossible that it was for ‘time wasting’ and find it baffling that any football fan could genuinely believe that a player would be booked for wasting time when on the ball, in play.

SChibs
07-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Benji done something a little similar for us against lower league opposition (I think?) in a cup game. Had the keeper beat and slowly stepped the ball to the line with a swagger before blasting it in.

Of course it’s not a booking and I don’t see why people get upset by this sort of thing. Almost as bad as people playing the ‘’lack of respect’ card when a flair player does something exciting to beat someone with a trick.

What I can say is it’s impossible that it was for ‘time wasting’ and find it baffling that any football fan could genuinely believe that a player would be booked for wasting time when on the ball, in play.

St Johnstone in the CIS cup semi and Tynecastle. The defender barged through the back of him too.

Would the people saying this is a booking be saying the same if this was Nesbitt vs Hearts. I think we'd be celebrating him doing it rather than complaining about a lack of respect for the opposition

BILLYHIBS
08-12-2020, 06:17 AM
https://youtu.be/O_dKUq_Z0ag

The BT coverage, even the commentator interpreted it as running down the clock.

From the clock, no breaks in the coverage and can’t see any ‘afters’ that could lead to a booking.

Poor decision by the referee, no booking required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree:

Looking at this whole segment never a booking

hibbycraig
08-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Hopefully see keepers booked now for standing with the ball at their feet and waiting for a striker to get close before picking the ball up.

heretoday
08-12-2020, 07:20 AM
It's winding up the opposition in a cheeky way. I suppose this could lead to crowd trouble like when players "hush" the home fans after scoring. I don't like that personally but it's all part of the show for some folk.

Hibrandenburg
08-12-2020, 07:35 AM

Can't be time wasting, the ball is in play.

overdrive
08-12-2020, 08:11 AM
It surely can only be an example of where the referee books the innocent party as well as the instigator at a square go. If it is for unsporting behaviour, it is no different to taking the ball into the corner.

Either way, the referee should be taken to task about it.

HibsGW
08-12-2020, 08:17 AM

You can’t waste time whilst the ball is in play and nutmegging someone could be seen as disrepectful, it’s an unnecessarily showy way to get the ball past someone but I for one would never ever argue that it shouldn’t be allowed because it’s great to watch. Flair should never be discouraged. I agree you can’t book someone for this, otherwise do you book Scott Allan the day he was running the show against Ian Black because he mugged him off so badly that day? I would hate to see the day come that a player like Ronaldinho was discouraged from doing the outrageous tricks he did because he’d be constantly getting booked.

hibby rae
08-12-2020, 10:27 AM
My take is it's a bit of banter which we like to see in the game.

If one of our boys did that against Hearts, Celtic or Rangers we would be loving it.

Imo if anyone should have been booked, or at least a talking to, it was the defender who got right in his face. Not the goalscorers fault he ****ed up.

jgl07
08-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Anyone else remember the Tennents Sixes.

I recall Hibs were winning a match (against Celtic?) going into the last minute or so and passed the ball between themselves to run down the clock. The referee blew his whistle and awarded Celtic a free kick from which they scored. This was for unsporting behaviour!

Rumble de Thump
08-12-2020, 10:47 AM
You can’t waste time whilst the ball is in play and nutmegging someone could be seen as disrepectful, it’s an unnecessarily showy way to get the ball past someone but I for one would never ever argue that it shouldn’t be allowed because it’s great to watch. Flair should never be discouraged. I agree you can’t book someone for this, otherwise do you book Scott Allan the day he was running the show against Ian Black because he mugged him off so badly that day? I would hate to see the day come that a player like Ronaldinho was discouraged from doing the outrageous tricks he did because he’d be constantly getting booked.

Nutmegging someone is a practical way of beating an opponent.

JimBHibees
08-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Anyone else remember the Tennents Sixes.

I recall Hibs were winning a match (against Celtic?) going into the last minute or so and passed the ball between themselves to run down the clock. The referee blew his whistle and awarded Celtic a free kick from which they scored. This was for unsporting behaviour!

No that was because the ref was a hertz cant. :greengrin

Incredible decision what was stopping Celtic trying harder to try and win the ball back.

hibbysam
08-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Nutmegging someone is a practical way of beating an opponent.

Just like walking the ball into the net is a practical way of scoring a goal. I think the point being made is that even just weeks ago no one would’ve hypothetically said that it would be a booking, therefore it might not sound ridiculous that they would try and book someone for another legitimate action on the pitch.

WeeRussell
08-12-2020, 11:16 PM
St Johnstone in the CIS cup semi and Tynecastle. The defender barged through the back of him too.

Would the people saying this is a booking be saying the same if this was Nesbitt vs Hearts. I think we'd be celebrating him doing it rather than complaining about a lack of respect for the opposition

Is that right? In that case I’d totally forgotten it was at tynecastle.

And yeah I distinctly remember the defender shoving into Benji and giving it the “there’s nae need for that you disrespectful c***t” gesturing after.

It wasn’t even that much of a piss-take, just a classy finish with a hint of arrogance :)

PeckythePenguin
09-12-2020, 06:46 AM
I always thought Benji got shoved in the back because he clipped the boys heels on his way towards goal and got away with it.
https://youtu.be/njpMZEYJRag (3:38)

Keith_M
09-12-2020, 07:41 AM
I always thought Benji got shoved in the back because he clipped the boys heels on his way towards goal and got away with it.

Benji's goal isn't similar to the goal in the OP in any way.

basehibby
09-12-2020, 09:30 AM

Complete rubbish!

If his opponents wanted more respect they should try not defending like schoolkids.

What he did was no worse than a goalkeeper making an opponent close him down to force him to pick the ball up - or a team taking the ball into the corner flag to waste time. Entirely within the rules of the game and a ridiculous booking. He should appeal it.

basehibby
09-12-2020, 09:31 AM
well they have started booking players for walking the ball into an empty net, and only because one of the opposition was angry. He was the one who should have been booked for unnecessary aggression to an opponent.

this

WeeRussell
11-12-2020, 12:17 AM

Do you know I’ve never noticed that all the times I’ve seen that goal! But you may be absolutely right.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2020, 05:26 PM
I miss Benji. Looking at those clips, what a composed player he could be.

erin go bragh
11-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Is that right? In that case I’d totally forgotten it was at tynecastle.

And yeah I distinctly remember the defender shoving into Benji and giving it the “there’s nae need for that you disrespectful c***t” gesturing after.

It wasn’t even that much of a piss-take, just a classy finish with a hint of arrogance :)
Only done the three step overs, then rammed it in the net 😁