PDA

View Full Version : Home Form

Hibees1973
05-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Away from home in the league this season Hibs have been great. No problems here so far. Hope it continues.

However, if we want a serious push for 3rd, or better this season, Hibs need to grind out more wins at home. Particularly turning draws into wins.

Some analysts have us down as a fast, counter attacking side which may explain our good away form. While at home, when we are normally dominating possession of the ball we find it difficult to win games comfortably. For example, our home win against Hamilton had us cruising but hanging on at the end. Kilmarnock was similar.

Any opinions out there the issue with our home form. We have lost only once to home but it needs to improve.

ac1
05-12-2020, 08:37 PM
It's funny cause some people say that having no fans at home means less pressure on the players. I am not sure either way if it's a positive or a negative

greenlex
05-12-2020, 08:46 PM
Only Aberdeen have beat us at home and that was a penalty. It’s not as good as our away firm but it’s not a disaster. Performances have been average both hone and away at times yet we find ourselves in third place.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-12-2020, 08:50 PM
I have no real evidence of this but pretty sure that since lockdown there have been more away wins than home wins. Certainly with no fans there is little home advantage for any team.

ScottB
05-12-2020, 08:54 PM
I have no real evidence of this but pretty sure that since lockdown there have been more away wins than home wins. Certainly with no fans there is little home advantage for any team.

I wonder if ER counts against us in the current circumstances. It’s one of the best environments in the league to play a match, I imagine the facilities are above average too, so could largely be quite an enjoyment experience for some teams compared to playing in their own grounds, with the fan factor removed...

greenlex
05-12-2020, 08:57 PM
I wonder if ER counts against us in the current circumstances. It’s one of the best environments in the league to play a match, I imagine the facilities are above average too, so could largely be quite an enjoyment experience for some teams compared to playing in their own grounds, with the fan factor removed...
I’m sure the away teams changing rooms are makeshift in the South stand. Maybe not that luxurious.

Mainstandman
05-12-2020, 09:53 PM
We have the best away form in the league. 12 points behind rangers and the have 14 more home points than us. Fixtures are skewed as well after we play hamilton away next we’ve played 10’away and 7 at home

Magpie
05-12-2020, 09:55 PM
We have the best away form in the league. 12 points behind rangers and the have 14 more home points than us. Fixtures are skewed as well after we play hamilton away next we’ve played 10’away and 7 at home

I think our home record would be even better with fans there. Hopefully we can get some in after New Year.

Dumfrieshibs
06-12-2020, 08:13 AM

I`m sure on one of the midweek gas last week the pundits had said that thru (if I remember correctly) 100 EPL games this season there had been 43 away wins compared to 7 away wins over roughly the same amount of games last season . Figures may not be exact but it was in that region

Borderhibbie76
06-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Away from home in the league this season Hibs have been great. No problems here so far. Hope it continues.

However, if we want a serious push for 3rd, or better this season, Hibs need to grind out more wins at home. Particularly turning draws into wins.

Some analysts have us down as a fast, counter attacking side which may explain our good away form. While at home, when we are normally dominating possession of the ball we find it difficult to win games comfortably. For example, our home win against Hamilton had us cruising but hanging on at the end. Kilmarnock was similar.

Any opinions out there the issue with our home form. We have lost only once to home but it needs to improve.

Dunnonif you've noticed but we are seriously pushing for 3rd...in fact we are currently 3rd

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-12-2020, 11:09 AM
I`m sure on one of the midweek gas last week the pundits had said that thru (if I remember correctly) 100 EPL games this season there had been 43 away wins compared to 7 away wins over roughly the same amount of games last season . Figures may not be exact but it was in that region

I'd be surprised if 7 is correct for the same time last season.

Peevemor
06-12-2020, 11:21 AM
I’m sure the away teams changing rooms are makeshift in the South stand. Maybe not that luxurious.I think even the Hibs players are changing in the West stand concourse.

allezsauzee
06-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Looking at the evidence there is little difference between home and away records although it would seem natural to come to the conclusion that there have been more away wins because there have been more of those than usual. I find it interesting that the clubs with plastic pitches don't seem to be any different to those with grass pitches. I don't like plastic pitches but it would seem to point to the conclusion that either players are coming to terms with playing on them or players from clubs with plastic pitches dislike them just as much.

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd be surprised if 7 is correct for the same time last season.

Yeah, no way. Liverpool probably would've had about that on their own over a 100 game period early in the season

Dumfrieshibs
06-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Yeah, no way. Liverpool probably would've had about that on their own over a 100 game period early in the season
You are probably right and as I said in my post I wasn't sure of the exact numbers but there was a staggering difference between this season and last

roo62
06-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Dunnonif you've noticed but we are seriously pushing for 3rd...in fact we are currently 3rd

Yeah we just need to break the Aberdeen hoodoo for me.I think now fourth should be our worst position and a couple of wins against Aberdeen should get us a very respectable third. Our squad is working better for us now with everyone making a good contribution when called upon. So far so good I say.

NAE NOOKIE
07-12-2020, 12:46 AM
Our away form is very very good. Our home form isn't too bad, but the fact that we lost 2 goal leads against St Johnstone and Celtic makes it feel worse as does a loss to Aberdeen after what was actually a pretty decent performance.

Whatever the case things have kind of evened out for us in my opinion, we have picked up decent results in games where we didn't play very well and dropped points in games where we didn't play too badly. It's a funny Hibs team this one, I can't honestly say I've seen us be utterly rubbish for 90 minutes in any game, though I didn't see the Aberdeen or Celtic away games, but even in games where we have had good results we haven't had an utterly dominant 90 minute performance either.

Even now I don't think anybody looks at our next game no matter who it's against thinking it's a banker. But conversely you always feel that we can beat anybody in this league if we click and carry a bit of luck. That's the thing with this team, you are never sure what you are going to get.

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 06:52 AM
Our away form is very very good. Our home form isn't too bad, but the fact that we lost 2 goal leads against St Johnstone and Celtic makes it feel worse as does a loss to Aberdeen after what was actually a pretty decent performance.

Whatever the case things have kind of evened out for us in my opinion, we have picked up decent results in games where we didn't play very well and dropped points in games where we didn't play too badly. It's a funny Hibs team this one, I can't honestly say I've seen us be utterly rubbish for 90 minutes in any game, though I didn't see the Aberdeen or Celtic away games, but even in games where we have had good results we haven't had an utterly dominant 90 minute performance either.

Even now I don't think anybody looks at our next game no matter who it's against thinking it's a banker. But conversely you always feel that we can beat anybody in this league if we click and carry a bit of luck. That's the thing with this team, you are never sure what you are going to get.

We were behind twice to St Johnstone?

Hibees1973
19-12-2020, 05:17 PM
I started this thread a couple of weeks ago.

The last couple of weeks away results have been great, as they have been so far this season so far.

Today was another annoying 2 points dropped at home. That makes 4 points thrown away in total so far at home when you include the injury time goal conceded to Celtic. I’m not counting other insipid home performances so far this season.

We should be clear in second place.

What is concerning me more is us not showing a ruthless streak in big games when we are within touching distance of some success.

Lets be honest, we should be in the cup final tomorrow and we should be clear in second place in the league.

It this going to become a ‘should have’ season for us. Its all well cruising to big victories away to the Accies and Motherwell, teams we should be beating anyway. To win something this season we should be winning more of these big tight games when the pressure is on us.

We have been found wanting in the big games so far this season when they have been close. The semi, the game against Celtic and today when we should now be in second.

We must improve our home form sharpish. The league cup semi.....the whole squad and manager need to grow a pair for us to win that.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2020, 05:19 PM

The last couple of weeks away results have been great, as they have been so far this season so far.

Today was another annoying 2 points dropped at home. That makes 4 points thrown away in total so far at home when you include the injury time goal conceded to Celtic. I’m not counting other insipid home performances so far this season.

What is concerning me more is us not showing a ruthless streak in big games when we are within touching distance of some success.

Lets be honest, we should be in the cup final tomorrow and we should be clear in second place in the league.

It this going to become a ‘should have’ season for us. Its all well cruising to big victories away to the Accies and Motherwell, teams we should be beating anyway. To win something this season we should be winning more of these big tight games when the pressure is on us.

We have been found wanting in the big games so far this season when they have been close. The semi, the game against Celtic and today when we should now be in second.

We must improve our home form sharpish. The league cup semi.....the whole squad and manager need to grow a pair for us to win that.

Yep the home form's really not good enough to be honest.

hibbysam
19-12-2020, 05:22 PM

I agree with the general point, but what do we class as a big game? If today was a big game, then surely the away game was as well which we won? The Motherwell game was a big game as they had a chance to close the gap and we pumped them. Every game is a big game for me and we win most of them.

Keith_M
19-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Maybe we should arrange to play all our games away from home.

allezsauzee
19-12-2020, 06:17 PM
There have been slightly more points won away from home than at home in the premier league this season which would suggest that there is no home advantage or disadvantage with no fans and our brilliant away record and average home record may owe more to randomness rather than anything the players are doing.

gaz1875
19-12-2020, 07:12 PM
There have been slightly more points won away from home than at home in the premier league this season which would suggest that there is no home advantage or disadvantage with no fans and our brilliant away record and average home record may owe more to randomness rather than anything the players are doing.

I wonder if its down to concentration. As strange as it sounds we lose a lot of late goals at home, and score a few late goals away from home.

HibeeHibernian4
19-12-2020, 07:32 PM
I think the mentality changes when teams come to us. They're very happy to sit in and try and pick us off on the counter. Which is exactly how we like to play and is why we're doing so well on the road.

SChibs
19-12-2020, 09:05 PM
We're the 4the best team in the league at home this season. There have been a few disappointing results and theres definitely things to work on but barring Aberdeen we aren't getting beat at home, just drawing too many. Maybe we are missing the fans urging the team on for the last 10 minutes

Hermit Crab
19-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Only Hamilton and Ross county have a worse home league win records this season winning only 1 home game each. Us only winning two home games in the first half of the season is shocking. Far too many dropped points for us.

EI255
19-12-2020, 09:08 PM
It's getting to the point where I'm a lot more confident of a win on the road. Easter Road is not a happy hunting ground for Hibs.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
19-12-2020, 10:28 PM
It's frustrating because we are quite evidently a good side and our away record is enviable.

If we could tune a few of these draws into wins we'd be in an even better position than the very good one we are already in. I suppose we are a bit of a scalp now so teams will raise their game coming to ER whilst being happy to sit in and frustrate us. We need to find a way to counteract that and on days like today we need to take our chances when we get them.

hibbysam
19-12-2020, 10:32 PM
It's frustrating because we are quite evidently a good side and our away record is enviable.

If we could tune a few of these draws into wins we'd be in an even better position than the very good one we are already in. I suppose we are a bit of a scalp now so teams will raise their game coming to ER whilst being happy to sit in and frustrate us. We need to find a way to counteract that and on days like today we need to take our chances when we get them.

To be fair, our record is probably about where our performances have deserved. We should’ve won a few more points at home (Celtic, today) but could easily have dropped points away (Dundee United, st Johnstone). Just need the ball to start dropping in at home. Performances are becoming far more consistent.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-12-2020, 10:37 PM
Under Covid I'm not sure if home advantage is a big thing tbh. I'm more disappointed if we lose a lead whether home or away but not sure if home or away is really a big advantage the now.

Juniper Greens
19-12-2020, 11:41 PM
I wonder if it's maybe the fake crowd noise putting the team off? Seem to play better at grounds that don't have it

HH81
20-12-2020, 03:45 AM
Only Hamilton and Ross county have a worse home league win records this season winning only 1 home game each. Us only winning two home games in the first half of the season is shocking. Far too many dropped points for us.

Hibs have the 4th best home record in the league.

Yes two wins in disappointing but in regards to the whole league it is actually not the end of the world.

Hibees1973
30-12-2020, 06:04 PM
After watching that first half performance thought I would resurrect this thread I started at the beginning of the month.

What are the chances of us turning this around in the second half?.....less than 10% I would think. Hope I’m wrong.

Our home form is seriously damaging our season.

Beginning to really piss me off.

WhileTheChief..
30-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Sportsound saying we've not had back to back home league wins for 2 years.

neil7908
30-12-2020, 06:48 PM

And can't even blame the fans anymore.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2020, 06:52 PM
4 points from the 3 home game run we have just had is a really poor return. 7 or 9 should have been realistic. Ironically we probably won the game that was the toughest on paper.

It's been a bad few weeks with 8 points dropped in the last 4 games. Not good enough by a distance.

Sir David Gray
30-12-2020, 06:57 PM
4 points from the 3 home game run we have just had is a really poor return. 7 or 9 should have been realistic. Ironically we probably won the game that was the toughest on paper.

It's been a bad few weeks with 8 points dropped in the last 4 games. Not good enough by a distance.

Yeah 4 points from our last 3 home games is really not good enough I'm afraid.

Vault Boy
30-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Definitely needs to be addressed in the second half of the season. Here's hoping we can replicate our new year runs of recent seasons.

GreenCastle
30-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Haven’t won by more than 2 goals since Feb 2020 in the league !!

Basically teams know a goal or 2 and they have a good chance of picking up points against us.

Mr. Wonderful
30-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Definitely needs to be addressed in the second half of the season. Here's hoping we can replicate our new year runs of recent seasons.

Did JR have issues with Sunderland at home too?

Hibs90
30-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Did JR have issues with Sunderland at home too?

Lost 1 game in the league at home in the 18/19 season

Iggy Pope
30-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Did they say how many games that was?

Sir David Gray
30-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Did they say how many games that was?

40 I believe.

Iggy Pope
30-12-2020, 07:40 PM
40 I believe.

Thanks. I see our resident Norman Wisdom has started a thread on the subject elsewhere. so I expect much hilarity to follow on the back of this bog awful statistic apparently being unearthed by a gloating sparryheid.

WhileTheChief..
30-12-2020, 08:14 PM
Gloating sparryheid??

Ffs, I just found it interesting when I heard it on the radio and posted it on a thread about our home form. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Iggy Pope
30-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Gloating sparryheid??

Ffs, I just found it interesting when I heard it on the radio and posted it on a thread about our home form. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Don’t jump, stay steady. The gloating sparryheid I was referring to is yer BBC man. I’d have quoted you if I thought anything else.

Mr. Wonderful
31-12-2020, 05:25 AM
Lost 1 game in the league at home in the 18/19 season

Weren't the Sunderland fans complaining about home draws a lot though

Heisenberg
31-12-2020, 06:12 AM
We certainly won’t get an easy time of it against Livi on Saturday either. Our recent home record against them has been very poor, not sure we’ve beaten them since both being back in the Premiership.

I’m don’t know what the answers are but it appears something needs to change about how we approach home matches.