I mean how boring was the first half. Boring, boring... boring.🙈🤣

Stuart93
05-12-2020, 06:09 PM
I mean how boring was the first half. Boring, boring... boring.🙈🤣

It was?

green with envy
05-12-2020, 06:15 PM
It was?

Hopefully, he'll take notice and play the 90 min next week attacking from the off.😱💚

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 06:29 PM
It's amazing how people cant understand or take criticism. That first half was absolutely brutal. And yes, boring.

Was the second half? Absolutely not! We bossed it and created so many good chances.

Which is why folk get so frustrated with the first half effort. No one doubts the quality we have in our team. Its getting that second half performance more consistently.

judas
05-12-2020, 06:43 PM
It's amazing how people cant understand or take criticism. That first half was absolutely brutal. And yes, boring.

Was the second half? Absolutely not! We bossed it and created so many good chances.

Which is why folk get so frustrated with the first half effort. No one doubts the quality we have in our team. Its getting that second half performance more consistently.

Yes. But the main story is our convincing win.

There. I took your bait and you got some attention.

👋

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Yes. But the main story is our convincing win.

There. I took your bait and you got some attention.

👋

What bait? Why can't there be criticism for things that are poor?

And you're spot on. An emphatic and deserved win! Second half we were fantastic. Doesn't mean we weren't bad the first half. A sitter from Watt and a disallowed goal for what, I'm not sure.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 06:50 PM

How is 0-0 away from home absolutely brutal? Nothing of the sort. We done fine first half.

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 06:52 PM
How is 0-0 away from home absolutely brutal? Nothing of the sort. We done fine first half.

Tony Watt sitter and a disallowed goal for absolutely nothing.

If we played the same as we did first half there's absolutely no chance we win 0-3

So credit where its due. We changed it up and were fantastic second half. And fully deserved the win. Just wish we started games like we played the second half.

eezyrider
05-12-2020, 06:54 PM
If the first half is boring, and we win 3-0 in the second half, I will take that every day of the week.

EZ

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 06:56 PM
If the first half is boring, and we win 3-0 in the second half, I will take that every day of the week.

EZ

Without a shadow of a doubt. As would anyone.

That doesn't mean the first half performance can't be criticised though.

greenlex
05-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt. As would anyone.

That doesn't mean the first half performance can't be criticised though.
We defended solidly the first half without being brilliant and kept them to a couple of chances. Disallowed goal aside Rocky had one save to make. That doesn’t need criticism IMO. There is no need for criticism.

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 07:04 PM
We defended solidly the first half without being brilliant and kept them to a couple of chances. Disallowed goal aside Rocky had one save to make. That doesn’t need criticism IMO. There is no need for criticism.

There's always need for criticism when it's merited.

You can guarantee the management will review the first half and talk through with the players where things went wrong and what we can do better. Equally they'll praise the things we did well.

It just bothers me when folk act like because we won that there were no negatives.

Greenbeard
05-12-2020, 07:05 PM
To answer the title. He did.
In the Brutal stakes that first half isn't near top of the tree.
It wasn't great but neither was it brutal.

wookie70
05-12-2020, 07:12 PM
If the second half had been similar to the first them the best we could realistically have hoped for was a point with a defeat more likely imo. Fortunately it wasn't and we played a far more expansive game and looked a proper side. Most importantly we actually took a decent number of our chances which has been a big issue lately. Ross can clearly see there is a good side when we click and he sounds as frustrated as many of us that we seem to go into our shell for long chunks of games. Hopefully a couple of signing can bring the missing pieces but the last few weeks have made me think there is more depth in the squad than I thought. Mackie and Gullan look right at home and Hallberg, who I have always liked, is striating to get a chance. Even the much maligned Wright is starting to have flashes of talent in games and may be starting a Joe Newall like Phoenix from the ashes career at Hibs.

Lots of good signs and to me confidence seems to be our biggest issue. Today will surely give us a big lift and both Doidge and Squirrel will really benefit from their goals.

greenlex
05-12-2020, 07:15 PM
There's always need for criticism when it's merited.

You can guarantee the management will review the first half and talk through with the players where things went wrong and what we can do better. Equally they'll praise the things we did well.

It just bothers me when folk act like because we won that there were no negatives.
I’m sure the ms agent will. Riss said he had words at half time. It was 0-0. It’s not like we were 2 down and struggling. We were defending well and the first 29 mins or so were arguably the better team. Criticism when it’s due is fair enough but to single out that first half for criticism is way OTT.

Vault Boy
05-12-2020, 07:15 PM
To answer the title. He did.

Exactly.

JohnM1875
05-12-2020, 07:20 PM
I’m sure the ms agent will. Riss said he had words at half time. It was 0-0. It’s not like we were 2 down and struggling. We were defending well and the first 29 mins or so were arguably the better team. Criticism when it’s due is fair enough but to single out that first half for criticism is way OTT.

I said the first half was brutal earlier on. And on reflection that is probably OTT from me.

But we created nothing and could easily have been one or two behind at HT.

But, half time is onlf half a match. We came out second half and looked fantastic and fully worth third position in the league, which we are! Just wish we started games as well as that. Cause we're a real capable team

Northernhibee
05-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Yes, the first half wasn't very good. It was mentioned many, many times in the match thread.

But the game finished 0-3, three good goals and an excellent second half performance and the main takeaway lesson from it is "get it sorted Jack Ross"?

Really? I mean, I can understand that people find the football a bit pragmatic and we've not been in the best run of form, but fgs pick your timing to make an argument.

green with envy
05-12-2020, 08:11 PM

Absolutely brutal - Wow. Thankfully we won in a manner that was quite comfortable. Only god knows how you'd be feeling right now if we had lost.🤣

JimBHibees
05-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Couldn't agree more, no way it was anywhere near brutal. Did ok to about 30 yards out but didn't threaten. It was an away game the home team are going to have opportunities to score.

green with envy
05-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Couldn't agree more, no way it was anywhere near brutal. Did ok to about 30 yards out but didn't threaten. It was an away game the home team are going to have opportunities to score.

Where I'm at too.

J-C
05-12-2020, 08:42 PM
1st half was not brutal, not the best but not that bad, we were a bit slow and toothless but thankfully Ross's bollocking worked at half time. 2nd half was exactly what I want to see from Hibs for the full 90 mins.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2020, 08:59 PM
1st half was not brutal, not the best but not that bad, we were a bit slow and toothless but thankfully Ross's bollocking worked at half time. 2nd half was exactly what I want to see from Hibs for the full 90 mins.

I think the first half was awful, and it was on a par with some of our recent performances. The 2nd half was terrific, as good as weve played this season. Whatever Jack said worked. 😁

Carheenlea
05-12-2020, 09:03 PM
If we played like we did in the second half for the first we would have won 6-0. The minimum acceptable winning margin is about 4.

Not a bad result today, but file under should do better.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 09:21 PM
Tony Watt sitter and a disallowed goal for absolutely nothing.

If we played the same as we did first half there's absolutely no chance we win 0-3

So credit where its due. We changed it up and were fantastic second half. And fully deserved the win. Just wish we started games like we played the second half.
Pretty sure we do. We've started well in many games this season

twiceinathens
05-12-2020, 09:30 PM
Thought the first half was frustrating rather than boring. Ball retention was poor with attempted one twos ending up in touch and clearances aimless. Looked much sharper in the second half.

Andy74
05-12-2020, 10:09 PM
We win 3-0 away from home against a pretty decent team to go third.

We now have threads about our home form and now one about a first half.

green with envy
05-12-2020, 10:12 PM

How ironic eh.😉

FilipinoHibs
05-12-2020, 10:17 PM
I thought we were on top for first 15 minutes of first half. We faded and then Motherwell dominated after that and we spent our time trying to nullifying them.This was the balanced view of the Motherwell commentators. After a half like that you are always disappointed and write the whole half off forgetting the good start.

Iggy Pope
05-12-2020, 10:25 PM

:greengrin

JohnM1875
06-12-2020, 12:07 AM
Of course a 3-0 win away from home against Motherwell is a good result. As was the second half performance. We looked every bit as good as our starting XI should.

That doesn't mean the first half performance can't be criticised. Watt missed a sitter and they had a goal wrongly disallowed and we were lucky to go in 0-0. Our own performance was pedestrian and we had no urgency at all and we looked bang average.

Then second half we were class.

Brooster
06-12-2020, 12:55 AM
Of course a 3-0 win away from home against Motherwell is a good result. As was the second half performance. We looked every bit as good as our starting XI.

That doesn't mean the first half performance can't be criticised. Watt missed a sitter and they had a goal wrongly disallowed and we were lucky to go in 0-0. Our own performance was pedestrian and we had no urgency at all and we looked bang average.

Then second half we were class.

Haha....criticise all you want, then we can laugh at you.

JohnM1875
06-12-2020, 01:02 AM
Haha....criticise all you want, then we can laugh at you.

Aye. Crack on.

JohnM1875
06-12-2020, 01:10 AM
Jack Ross said himself "first half we weren't that great" "we asked a lot of questions of the players at half time"

He also said that the players answered those questions second half. Which they totally did. We were excellent second half.

jacomo
06-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Jack Ross said himself "first half we weren't that great" "we asked a lot of questions of the players at half time"

He also said that the players answered those questions second half. Which they totally did. We were excellent second half.

Hairdryer and teacups at half time it seems. Did the job.

Northernhibee
06-12-2020, 06:56 PM
The massive irony and elephant in the room in this entire thread is that Jack Ross did get it sorted, and we blew them away 3-0 in the second half.

Keith_M
06-12-2020, 06:57 PM
I remember us going to Ibrox for a league game under Mowbray and we concentrated on defending for the first 45 minutes, as that was when Rangers were at their most dangerous. We barely left our own half for the first half of the game.

We went on to win 3-0, all goals scored in the last quarter, and nobody moaned about the first half being poor or suggested that we would have to start playing the full 90 at the same tempo if we ever wanted to achieve anything.

We then did exactly the same in the Scottish Cup six months later, another 3-0 win, and have fondly remembered both games ever since.

Funny how times... and expectations... have changed.

Greenbeard
07-12-2020, 07:00 AM

Did he really say that about the first half?
I presumed from the thread that he must have said "first half we were absolutely brutal. I need to get it sorted, even if we did go on to win 3-0 away from home."

RyeSloan
07-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Did he really say that about the first half?
I presumed from the thread that he must have said "first half we were absolutely brutal. I need to get it sorted, even if we did go on to win 3-0 away from home."

He actually said there was anger at half time but the players answered every question asked of them second half.

So it sounds like Jack was less than impressed with the first half as well.

This thread is a bit odd. I think it’s absolutely fair to criticise the first half (just as Jack did) yet be pleased with response and the win. It’s also absolutely fair to ask why a half time bollocking was needed in the first place.

We clearly still have a bit to go in terms of playing consistently at a high level for 90 minutes. Thankfully Jack seems to understand that as well and will be working hard to mould a team that can do that.

lucky
07-12-2020, 09:21 AM
What is getting boring is people looking to pick faults all the time in Hibs performance or what JR does. In football you very rarely dominate a whole game. In parts you defend and hang on in there and when your on top you take your chances. Hibs did this at the weekend and ran out convincing winners to go third in the table, a league position which we very rarely hold.

JimBHibees
07-12-2020, 10:25 AM
The massive irony and elephant in the room in this entire thread is that Jack Ross did get it sorted, and we blew them away 3-0 in the second half.

Yeah but that doesn't count. :greengrin

JimBHibees
07-12-2020, 10:26 AM
What is getting boring is people looking to pick faults all the time in Hibs performance or what JR does. In football you very rarely dominate a whole game. In parts you defend and hang on in there and when your on top you take your chances. Hibs did this at the weekend and ran out convincing winners to go third in the table, a league position which we very rarely hold.

Couldn't agree more. Let's enjoy a frankly brilliant result and performance.

Stuart93
07-12-2020, 10:31 AM

You might want to let JR know then because he wasn’t happy with our 1st half performance either

I find the fact we aren’t allowed to criticise our first half performance a little odd considering we went on to show how we can play in the second half

Picking holes in our performance in the first half doesn’t mean people aren’t delighted we went on to win the game convincingly or that people aren’t happy we’re sitting third. The first & second half performances were night & day and people are questioning why we can’t perform like that for 90 minutes & why it should take a rollicking from the manager at half time to bring it out

green with envy
07-12-2020, 10:44 AM
You might want to let JR know then because he wasn’t happy with our 1st half performance either

I find the fact we aren’t allowed to criticise our first half performance a little odd considering we went on to show how we can play in the second half

Picking holes in our performance in the first half doesn’t mean people aren’t delighted we went on to win the game convincingly or that people aren’t happy we’re sitting third. The first & second half performances were night & day and people are questioning why we can’t perform like that for 90 minutes & why it should take a rollicking from the manager at half time to bring it out

You criticise all you like, but you won't get me criticising the team during any part of a 3-0 away victory. After all the game does last for 90 minutes and not 45.

Peevemor
07-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Picking holes in our performance in the first half doesn’t mean people aren’t delighted we went on to win the game convincingly or that people aren’t happy we’re sitting third. The first & second half performances were night & day and people are questioning why we can’t perform like that for 90 minutes & why it should take a rollicking from the manager at half time to bring it outIt's not only about the first half on Saturday. I know the football isn't always scintillating, but there's been OTT negativity from some for ages.

Hibrandenburg
07-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Unfair criticism, instead Ross should be getting praise for adjusting team and tactics after seeing how the opposition set up.

green with envy
07-12-2020, 10:55 AM
It's not only about the first half on Saturday. I know the football isn't always scintillating, but there's been OTT negativity from some for ages.

Spot - On.

Keith_M
07-12-2020, 11:04 AM
It's funny how the OP created this thread to highlight how over the top the criticism of the first half was, given the result, but the usual negative posters have hijacked it to demand the right to concentrate on what they see as negatives.

Yes, we played better in the 2nd half than in the 1st... and we actually weren't bad for the whole of the 1st half anyway... and then we went on to beat a stuffy Motherwell side 3-0.

Can't you miserable sods just concentrate on that?

:confused:

Victor
07-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Good job they don’t support Tottenham. 2-0 win, good in the first half, defending and hanging on for the second half. Think some people forget that there are two teams on the park, both trying to get a result. Yes, the first half, on Saturday, was not pretty, but they defended and hung on, which set Hibs up for a good second half and an excellent away result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart93
07-12-2020, 12:23 PM
I feel there’s been an OTT reaction towards people criticising our first half display whilst also highlighting how good we were in the second half and what a great result it was & wanting us to play like that for 90mins not just 45.

I don’t see the massive problem with it

I'm Spartacus
07-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Where does the critisism end?! "In the 22nd 3 minute period we are always dreadful"

Next the OP will be at ER fighting with the Police horses

green with envy
07-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Where does the critisism end?! "In the 22nd 3 minute period we are always dreadful"

Next the OP will be at ER fighting with the Police horses

What are you slavering about?

worcesterhibby
07-12-2020, 03:47 PM
If only we still hade Neil Lennon in charge...he would never have allowed any of our underperforming no goods back on the pitch in the second half. He would have gone out and bravely won the game for us on his own, with Scott Parker in goals looking like a vagrant...born winners ! :greengrin

BSEJVT
07-12-2020, 04:15 PM
As someone who was very critical of Jack Ross after the hearts game and still harbours reservations about his timing and use of substitutions I find the criticism of Saturday a bit mad.

You always need to win the right to show your stuff by first winning the battle and that we did.

With the possible exception of the Rangers game and only then because hardly anyone else has laid a glove on them, Saturday's win was the best result of the season for me by a distance.

If we didn't have bad luck with injuries we would have no luck at all.

Motherwell must have been buzzing after the 2 covid results and have as decent a squad as we do and probably more depth.

Saturday went a long way for Ross redeeming himself to me. I am sure he will be relieved by that:-)

Jonnyboy
07-12-2020, 05:20 PM
I think the problem is that some are being more than harsh about our first half performance. We were marginally better in the first twenty odd minutes and then they were marginally better for the rest of that half. As others have said, there’s two teams on the park and at the end of 90 minutes we came out the better of the two.

All positive in my opinion

HibeeJude
07-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Think folk are forgetting that we were away to the team who finished 3rd last season and have two Scotland internationals in their starting XI alongside Alan Campbell who won’t be far away. Motherwell are no mugs but we just beat them 3-0 at Fir Park, let’s try and enjoy it

I'm Spartacus
08-12-2020, 12:45 PM

I'm slavering about folk moaning about small things.

Northernhibee
08-12-2020, 01:24 PM

What are you slavering about posting "Get is sorted" (spelling not corrected) after we win 3-0 away from home?

green with envy
08-12-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm slavering about folk moaning about small things.

At least you acknowledged, that you were indeed slavering.:agree:

Keith_M
08-12-2020, 04:44 PM
What are you slavering about posting "Get is sorted" (spelling not corrected) after we win 3-0 away from home?

I actually took that as sarcasm on his part towards the people that actually were complaining, despite us winning 3-0.

I could be wrong.

Northernhibee
08-12-2020, 05:22 PM
I actually took that as sarcasm on his part towards the people that actually were complaining, despite us winning 3-0.

I could be wrong.

I hope so. The constant negativity on here is really draining. Saturday evening was spent with relative cheer and enjoyment :)

green with envy
08-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Wow! Don't you do irony? If you had bothered reading through my other posts on this thread, you would have realised it was a reaction to all the negative posts that's been posted on here recently.

green with envy
08-12-2020, 05:48 PM

I could be wrong.

You were not wrong.👍

Northernhibee
08-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Wow! Don't you do irony? If you had bothered reading through my other posts on this thread, you would have realised it was a reaction to all the negative posts that's been posted on here recently.

Fair enough, but couldn't be arsed reading through another thread of people looking for reasons to moan about half of a game so didn't read most of the posts in the end. TBF it's a bad sign of things when even an ironic thread can easily blend in with way too many posters on here.

green with envy
08-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Fair enough, but couldn't be arsed reading through another thread of people looking for reasons to moan about half of a game so didn't read most of the posts in the end. TBF it's a bad sign of things when even an ironic thread can easily blend in with way too many posters on here.

I thought by posting the two emojis in the opening comment would have been enough to realise that my post was indeed sarcastic. Or did you not even bother to read that?🙈😁

Keith_M
08-12-2020, 06:17 PM
You were not wrong.👍

:aok: