PDA

View Full Version : Europa Conference League

Magpie
03-12-2020, 03:57 PM
Everything you need to know is here-

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0264-10fe90612aa3-37b2bc77f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/?iv=true

Billy Whizz
03-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Can you fix the link please

offshorehibby
03-12-2020, 03:59 PM
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0264-10fe90612aa3-37b2bc77f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/?iv=true

Magpie
03-12-2020, 04:00 PM

Thanks

Clarence
03-12-2020, 04:02 PM
So is this for all the Shan teams?

Billy Whizz
03-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Thanks

SteveHFC
03-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Party in Tirana it is. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
First qualifying round: 8 & 15 July
Second qualifying round: 22 & 29 July

we need summer football :)

offshorehibby
03-12-2020, 04:10 PM
If i'm reading right, 3rd & 4th in league would enter at Q2 on 22 & 29 July needing 6 games to get into group stages.

Magpie
03-12-2020, 04:11 PM
If i'm reading right, 3rd & 4th in league would enter at Q2 on 22 & 29 July needing 6 games to get into group stages.

That’s right 👍🏻

Magpie
03-12-2020, 04:14 PM
Scottish Cup winners would only be two games away from reaching the Group Stages of this competition as they would enter the regular Europa League in the 3rd qualifying round which means even if they lost the Play Off they would be guaranteed entry into the Europa Conference League group stages.

danhibees1875
03-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Realistically that'll usually be 4th and 5th unless someone outside of the top 3 win the Scottish cup.

I'm not too sure of the financial advantage of these competitions when you take into account all the associated costs of travel and extra games, or what the standard is likely be and therefore how far we could realistically progress but this could be quite a key tournament for Hibs.

We should be looking to qualify for this as a minimum quite regularly as our fundamental target, and potentially progressing into the group stages on a semi-regular basis...

I look forward to it anyway.

Magpie
03-12-2020, 04:21 PM
Scottish Cup winners would only be two games away from reaching the Group Stages of this competition as they would enter the regular Europa League in the 3rd qualifying round which means even if they lost the Play Off they would be guaranteed entry into the Europa Conference League group stages.

If Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup does that Europa League 3rd qualifying spot go to 3rd place? Assuming they both finish in the top two of course.

Wakeyhibee
03-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Not impressed with the format. 18 teams from the Europa league get a second bite of the cherry.

Theres been at least 8 winners of the Europa league that have come from the Champions league.

Magpie
03-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Not impressed with the format. 18 teams from the Europa league get a second bite of the cherry.

Theres been at least 8 winners of the Europa league that have come from the Champions league.

Definitely seems to be in favour of the ‘bigger’ teams, it would be great to reach the group stages of this tournament though. Would love to see us up against some decent sides from across Europe, would create some fantastic trips too.

Max_Shah
03-12-2020, 04:50 PM

I fear I am doing this forum wrong but I am truly excited about the prospect of going abroad with my pals, flying our flags/banners, seeing us actually ****ing competing on a European stage and, dare I say it, even winning the ****ing thing. If it raises our European/Global profile then I am all for it.

For some reason I am cautiously optimistic about this. :hyper:hyper:hyper Then again, I am a fairly optimistic dude who tries to find the best in everything.

I know I'm doing this wrong and will shortly be brought back down to earth [Curiosity Killed the Cat style!!] by some nitpicking doomer-post pointing out how having fun abroad with your mates and having the chance to win a Continental trophy is morally repugnant.

I, for one, am looking forward to the future.

Jones28
03-12-2020, 05:29 PM

You’ve just precluded yourself from final tickets with that comment

Wakeyhibee
03-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Definitely seems to be in favour of the ‘bigger’ teams, it would be great to reach the group stages of this tournament though. Would love to see us up against some decent sides from across Europe, would create some fantastic trips too.

Agree love to see Hibs in Europe. Just feel all UEFAs comps are weighted towards the better off.

Since90+2
03-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Like the sound of that.

Let's be honest without considerable investment and a series of lucky draws its unlikely we'll reach the Europa League group stage.

It would be good for the club and add something abit different. Great away trips for the fans potentially too.

Not sure why anyone would be against it.

Since90+2
03-12-2020, 05:43 PM
If Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup does that Europa League 3rd qualifying spot go to 3rd place? Assuming they both finish in the top two of course.

Yes.

Magpie
03-12-2020, 05:54 PM
Yes.

Makes finishing 3rd even bigger in regards to playing regular European football then.

Since452
03-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Sounds a bit diddy

davhibby
03-12-2020, 06:41 PM
I fear I am doing this forum wrong but I am truly excited about the prospect of going abroad with my pals, flying our flags/banners, seeing us actually ****ing competing on a European stage and, dare I say it, even winning the ****ing thing. If it raises our European/Global profile then I am all for it.

For some reason I am cautiously optimistic about this. :hyper:hyper:hyper Then again, I am a fairly optimistic dude who tries to find the best in everything.

I know I'm doing this wrong and will shortly be brought back down to earth [Curiosity Killed the Cat style!!] by some nitpicking doomer-post pointing out how having fun abroad with your mates and having the chance to win a Continental trophy is morally repugnant.

We’ve got absolutely no chance of winning it. However if we’re serious about being the 3rd force in Scotland etc then we should be making the groups every year which would be great to have regular european football

Since90+2
03-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Sounds a bit diddy

The harsh reality is that this is ehere we are in terms of European standing. So it's either this tournament or nothing.

A Hi-Bee
03-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Yahoo bring it on we were first into Europe in 1955 with the European Cup, so why not now.
:agree:

calumhibee1
03-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Like the sound of that.

Let's be honest without considerable investment and a series of lucky draws its unlikely we'll reach the Europa League group stage.

It would be good for the club and add something abit different. Great away trips for the fans potentially too.

Likewise. I’m not even massively interested in the actual tournament. I just want some away trips with Hibs to decent places rather than the usual places Scottish teams end up going :agree:

Would love to get a game against someone like Real Betis, Fiorentina, Espanyol etc.

Centre Hawf
03-12-2020, 10:15 PM
I'm excited for this. I absolutely enjoyed our last run in the Europa and the beauty of it was we were winning games and competing in all the ties because they were all teams about our level. Playing against teams we know or players we've watched on the tele is great for a one off spectacle, but once we likely lose it's over and we're back to square one trying to get back into the party again.

But I want Hibs to win games. And I'll gladly watch us in a 'lesser' tournament to play against folk from Belarus, Estonia, and Georgia in a group while actually having away trips with memorable results. When we completed the comeback against Asteras at Easter Road it was absolutely fantastic, I would love more nights at Easter Road like that, and if the Conference will provide that for me then the tournament will have served it's purpose.

mim
03-12-2020, 11:05 PM
Likewise. I’m not even massively interested in the actual tournament. I just want some away trips with Hibs to decent places rather than the usual places Scottish teams end up going :agree:

Would love to get a game against someone like Real Betis, Fiorentina, Espanyol etc.
Spot on :agree:

I'm excited for this. I absolutely enjoyed our last run in the Europa and the beauty of it was we were winning games and competing in all the ties because they were all teams about our level. Playing against teams we know or players we've watched on the tele is great for a one off spectacle, but once we likely lose it's over and we're back to square one trying to get back into the party again.

But I want Hibs to win games. And I'll gladly watch us in a 'lesser' tournament to play against folk from Belarus, Estonia, and Georgia in a group while actually having away trips with memorable results. When we completed the comeback against Asteras at Easter Road it was absolutely fantastic, I would love more nights at Easter Road like that, and if the Conference will provide that for me then the tournament will have served it's purpose.
It was fantastic, but the away match in Tripoli was even more fantastic.
Bring on the away trips to sunshine and football :flag:

davhibby
03-12-2020, 11:59 PM
Been having a look at this and have stumbled across the fact that our spot for the Scottish Cup winner/3rd place from this season will go straight into the Europa League playoff round next year, which would guarantee group stage football even if you lost it. What an opportunity that is

Centre Hawf
04-12-2020, 12:21 AM

I wasn't there sadly but the pub was brilliant too. More nights like them are what we're after.

B.H.F.C
04-12-2020, 06:11 AM

Don’t know about the sunshine in Tripoli.

I left home at midday on the Wednesday and it took a bus, a train, another bus, a plane, another plane, another train and finally another bus down from Athens to get there. The moment we arrived in Tripoli it started absolutely pishing down!

.Sean.
04-12-2020, 11:57 AM

And Brondby was even better.

The competition is in no way diddy, it’s set up for clubs our size to give us the European football we deserve. There are clubs who are far bigger historically - bigger than plenty teams who participate in the football tourist, tele pandering champions league will ever be - competing in leagues from all over the continent (even from the so-called big 5) who merit European football on a regular basis that don’t purely due to not having the financial muscle of their domestic competitors. I’m all for this.

Max_Shah
04-12-2020, 02:28 PM

The competition is in no way diddy, it’s set up for clubs our size to give us the European football we deserve. There are clubs who are far bigger historically - bigger than plenty teams who participate in the football tourist, tele pandering champions league will ever be - competing in leagues from all over the continent (even from the so-called big 5) who merit European football on a regular basis that don’t purely due to not having the financial muscle of their domestic competitors. I’m all for this.

Cracking post mate, well said, I totally agree with every word.

I wish there was some kind of reward or internet sticker system built into the forum software as this is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.

:top marks:aok: :top marks

Speedy
05-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Like the sound of that.

It's a shame because as things were Scotland were close to getting an automatic place in the Europa League group stage. But not to be. Shame to miss the huge ties but at least someone will get game in a competition we'll be a bit more competitive in.

Speedy
05-12-2020, 08:16 AM

The cynic in me would say the whole new set up is made to guarantee the big team stays in Europe for longer and to make the Europa League more elite.

We'll see I suppose

Keith_M
05-12-2020, 08:21 AM

Yep, like Hibs.

hibbie02
05-12-2020, 09:09 AM
I don't know why they don't just call it the UEFA Cup. I has a ring to it...

ChrissyG1875
06-12-2020, 08:12 AM
I'm absolutely buzzing for it. I'm of the generation where European football means a couple of qualifiers so I'm just desperate to be able to have some good away trips and hopefully have a decent run in it.

Think this could be perfect for hibs and aberdeen to be honest, obviously the ultimate aim has to be the europa league groups but being used to regularly playing European football can only help that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
06-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Would be great, a few trips to European cities every year. All for this.

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 08:40 AM
I'm absolutely buzzing for it. I'm of the generation where European football means a couple of qualifiers so I'm just desperate to be able to have some good away trips and hopefully have a decent run in it.

Think this could be perfect for hibs and aberdeen to be honest, obviously the ultimate aim has to be the europa league groups but being used to regularly playing European football can only help that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yeah, not sure what impact getting to the new competitions groups would have but id imagine only positive on the clubs coefficient, which would help us if we got into the Europa league qualifiers.

Finishing third is huge this year as we’d (providing rangers or Celtic win the cup) go into the third qualifying round of the Europa League, even if we lost that we’d go into the playoff round for the conference league. We’d only have to win one of our two ties to get group stage football.

Juniper Greens
06-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Yeah, not sure what impact getting to the new competitions groups would have but id imagine only positive on the clubs coefficient, which would help us if we got into the Europa league qualifiers.

Finishing third is huge this year as we’d (providing rangers or Celtic win the cup) go into the third qualifying round of the Europa League, even if we lost that we’d go into the playoff round for the conference league. We’d only have to win one of our two ties to get group stage football.

It's better than that. Because there will be no reigning champion of the conference, Scotland will actually go into the playoff for the EL, so even losing the game parachutes straight into the conference

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 09:23 AM
It's better than that. Because there will be no reigning champion of the conference, Scotland will actually go into the playoff for the EL, so even losing the game parachutes straight into the conference

I had read that (possibly on here) but when checking the SFA news bulletin about European places for next season it says the cup winner enters the third qualifying round? Would be outstanding if that isn’t the case, one game away from the Europa league groups and guaranteed at worst the Conference league groups.

Albanian Hibs
06-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Party in Tirana it is. :greengrin

😁

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 12:49 PM
Would be great, a few trips to European cities every year. All for this.

That’s pretty much all I care about when it comes to Europe.

This tournament gives us a much better chance of going somewhere like Seville, Barcelona, Palermo, Rome, Nice, Monaco etc with Hibs where as Europa League were much more likely to go to a far flung city in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia etc.

This tournament can only be a good thing from a fans perspective, whether it’s any good financially etc is for the club to worry about.

chippy
06-12-2020, 01:54 PM
I had read that (possibly on here) but when checking the SFA news bulletin about European places for next season it says the cup winner enters the third qualifying round? Would be outstanding if that isn’t the case, one game away from the Europa league groups and guaranteed at worst the Conference league groups.

Even if we have to play qualifying games to get to group stages I think we’d still have a great chance to qualify. are the group stages home and away- anyone know plus how big are groups? 3 qualifying rounds plus between 4 to 8 group matches gives you between 5 and 7 home games. Very good gate money and tv income .... bring it on

davhibby
06-12-2020, 02:53 PM

It won’t be confirmed until the end of the season because depending on the Europa League and Champions League winners there might be some movement in the access list elsewhere but there is a spot in the Europa League groups reserved for the Conference League winner and obviously there isn’t one this season so our 3rd place spot will definitely move up into the playoffs

Juniper Greens
06-12-2020, 09:19 PM
It won’t be confirmed until the end of the season because depending on the Europa League and Champions League winners there might be some movement in the access list elsewhere but there is a spot in the Europa League groups reserved for the Conference League winner and obviously there isn’t one this season so our 3rd place spot will definitely move up into the playoffs

Exactly, just to be clear, for any doubters, there is an agreed system in place, which means the SC winners will get into the playoff round of the EL, which means at worst getting the groups of the conference league. However I fear over the season, aberdeen will have too much for us for third, so just need to make sure we win the cup

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Even if we have to play qualifying games to get to group stages I think we’d still have a great chance to qualify. are the group stages home and away- anyone know plus how big are groups? 3 qualifying rounds plus between 4 to 8 group matches gives you between 5 and 7 home games. Very good gate money and tv income .... bring it on

Groups are home and away. Groups of 4. 6 games played.

mjhibby
07-12-2020, 03:43 AM
Exactly, just to be clear, for any doubters, there is an agreed system in place, which means the SC winners will get into the playoff round of the EL, which means at worst getting the groups of the conference league. However I fear over the season, aberdeen will have too much for us for third, so just need to make sure we win the cup

The dons are looking vulnerable just now. Yes they have injuries but so have we and are getting results. Knocked out the cup by St Mirren and drawing away to the bottom two clubs isn’t third place form.