PDA

View Full Version : January Transfer Window

Souter96Mac
03-12-2020, 10:26 AM
I appreciate, again with the current economic situation due to the pandemic, that the January transfer window might not be as busy as usual - not specifically for Hibs but more the wider, football in general. But do we see Hibs doing much/any business in January?

For me, the priorities would be tying down certain players to new contracts: Rocky, Newell, Paul McGinn and Stevenson.

But there's some interesting rival players that have expiring contracts:
Allan Campbell
Liam Polworth
Eamonn Brophy
Greg Stewart
Stewart Findlay
Stephen O'Donnell (Think his contract expires in Jan)
Declan Gallagher
Ross Stewart
Greg Kiltie
Efe 👀
Scott Wright

Now I've taken this from the Transfermarkt website so not sure how accurate it is, but there's a good bunch of players in that list I'd take at Hibs.

The Modfather
03-12-2020, 10:49 AM
I appreciate, again with the current economic situation due to the pandemic, that the January transfer window might not be as busy as usual - not specifically for Hibs but more the wider, football in general. But do we see Hibs doing much/any business in January?

For me, the priorities would be tying down certain players to new contracts: Rocky, Newell, Paul McGinn and Stevenson.

Allan Campbell
Liam Polworth
Eamonn Brophy
Greg Stewart
Stewart Findlay
Declan Gallagher
Ross Stewart
Greg Kiltie
Efe 👀
Scott Wright

Now I've taken this from the Transfermarkt website so not sure how accurate it is, but there's a good bunch of players in that list I'd take at Hibs.

Cambell is the obvious one but I’d take the following:

Campbell
Brophy
Findlay
O’Donnell
Gallagher
Stewart

I get we can’t sign them all and funds are tight and will be so for a long time, but those are the kind of signings that would either improve our starting 11 or go some way to matching the kind of strength in depth Aberdeen have IMO

Magpie
03-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Would like another left midfielder for rotation with Murphy.

SteveHFC
03-12-2020, 11:11 AM
O’Donnell and Gallagher for me.

04Sauzee
03-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Few decent players who are out of contract at the end of the season who could definitely do a job.

Aaron Tshibola
Stuart Findlay
Ross Stuart
Allan Campbell

A couple of guys who have always looked decent but may not olay in positions we'd look to fill

Paul McMullen
Scott Tanser

Saint Hibee
03-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Leigh Griffiths?:pray:

HibeeJude
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Jackson Irvine still somehow without a club

c31
03-12-2020, 12:08 PM
I think Celtic will be loaning players to anyone in the hope they can take points of the other mob..

Ozyhibby
03-12-2020, 12:15 PM
A fit centre mid to cover for Magennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
03-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Jackson Irvine still somehow without a club

That’s a strange one as the boy has a bit of quality about him .

Magpie
03-12-2020, 12:35 PM
I think Celtic will be loaning players to anyone in the hope they can take points of the other mob..

More than happy to take Griffiths.

Andy74
03-12-2020, 12:53 PM
That’s a strange one as the boy has a bit of quality about him .

He seems to have been holding out for top half of the Championship level and didn’t get what he was after.

The 90+2
03-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Irvine would add something to the Celtic side.

jeffers
03-12-2020, 01:00 PM
I’d love us to sign Campbell but can’t see it after having signed Magennis.

The 90+2
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM
I’d love us to sign Campbell but can’t see it after having signed Magennis.

He is well out our transfer budget.

davhibby
03-12-2020, 01:13 PM
I’d be trying to get SOD signed up now, unless I’ve missed it he’s not extended at Motherwell yet so would be available on a pre contract now for January

Halmyre Hibee
03-12-2020, 01:13 PM
We need competition for places and a stronger squad so as long as they are better than we have the more the merrier.

The 90+2
03-12-2020, 01:18 PM
I’d be trying to get SOD signed up now, unless I’ve missed it he’s not extended at Motherwell yet so would be available on a pre contract now for January

He’s available in January for zip. We could pre contract now.

Sign now, he has an amazing Euros and sell in the summer for £1m plus. What’s not to like?

Greenbeard
03-12-2020, 01:27 PM
If we are looking to improve the starting XI, rather than just signing cover, then whoever we sign, if anyone given financial constraints, has got to be a significant improvement on whoever currently plays their position. In that respect we have got to prioritise the midfield.
Griffiths on loan would potentially be exciting but short sighted IMO with the risk that it would reduce game time for Nisbet, Doidge, Gullan and potentially piss them off. Likewise signing O'Donnell would very likely mean bumping McGinn when that is not necessary.

The 90+2
03-12-2020, 01:36 PM
If we are looking to improve the starting XI, rather than just signing cover, then whoever we sign, if anyone given financial constraints, has got to be a significant improvement on whoever currently plays their position. In that respect we have got to prioritise the midfield.
Griffiths on loan would potentially be exciting but short sighted IMO with the risk that it would reduce game time for Nisbet, Doidge, Gullan and potentially piss them off. Likewise signing O'Donnell would very likely mean bumping McGinn when that is not necessary.

You’re being serious in not signing Griffiths so Doidge or Gullan get more game time? O’Donnell is better than McGinn too and is sellable.

davhibby
03-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Both those players would improve the team though. It’s then up to the guys here already to keep their place in the team by playing well. Currently if McGinn was to get injured it would be a disaster, likewise one of the strikers

chippy
03-12-2020, 01:59 PM
A fit centre mid to cover for Magennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Hibs, cover required for key target of last window who’s played about 1.5 games

Greenbeard
03-12-2020, 02:09 PM
You’re being serious in not signing Griffiths so Doidge or Gullan get more game time? O’Donnell is better than McGinn too and is sellable.
I'm talking priorities. We are not going to be splashing the cash on loads of signings so whatever is spent must address the top priority and that is the midfield. We are very well covered up front with the three aforementioned.

we are hibs
03-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Still lacking that 3rd midfielder.

Id also try and bring in a centre back.

Theres also a few id be moving on asap if we get the chance.

Jones28
03-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Allan Campbell
Liam Polworth
Eamonn Brophy
Greg Stewart
Stewart Findlay
Declan Gallagher
Ross Stewart
Greg Kiltie
Efe 👀
Scott Wright

I'd take the ones in bold definitely, but add a goalkeeper and you've near enough got a full team there.

DetroitHibs
03-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Louis Moult please. Lad knows the league and where the net is. Him and Nissie with Doidge off the bench.

04Sauzee
03-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Louis Moult please. Lad knows the league and where the net is. Him and Nissie with Doidge off the bench.

I know he has had a few injuries since.leaving for Preston, not sure if he's fit but doesn't look to be getting game time.
He's played 40 times for PNE scoring 8 goals since leaving Motherwell.

Great player for Motherwell

Unseen work
03-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Greg Stewart - So far out the picture at Rangers and has real quality in the final third. Would score and create for fun imo, only thing is he might want to be part of rangers winning the league as he’s a die hard.

Ross Stewart - Holds the ball up very well, good touch and doesn’t give defenders a seconds rest. Would have resale value too if he kicked on as only 24 I think.

Alan Campbell - More than likely out of our budget or has better options, Aberdeen will almost certainly be desperate to sign him too. If not him someone of that ilk in the middle of the pitch that can single handedly dominate a game. Maybe offer Mallan as a bargaining chip but not sure he’s a Robinson type of player.

Stephen O’Donnell- One of the best right backs in Scotland. He’s 28 though and not sure he’s got much better moves in him so could happen. Only thing is McGinn has been brilliant this season, consistent and seems like he rarely gets injured so I can’t see us wasting a wage there.

Declan Gallagher - Same boat as O’Donnell although his international performances may give him more interested clubs however I’m not too convinced. Would be a great addition.

Stuart Findlay - Always quite liked the look of him at centre half, still young too and again would have value to sell again

Eamon Brophy - Reminds me a bit of Cummings with his swagger and build, also knows where the back of the net is.

Tshibola - Was disappointed we never tried for him in the summer but I think he must have a love for Kilmarnock, the players and staff there since he returned. He’s a centre mid that has a bit of everything about him.

For me those are the sort of players we should be going for and look like we will be based on the summer and who we were linked with. Out with Greg Stewart I imagine we would be able to beat their current wage, it’s about what other offers they have and if they fancy a move.

Theres other like

Ali McCann
Jackson Irvine
Louis Moult

But I just can’t see it.

Hibiza
03-12-2020, 04:16 PM
O'Donnell .

offshorehibby
03-12-2020, 04:25 PM
I can see us going back in for Ross Stewart, i like Doidge but he's blowing hot and cold again. Stewart would be a good addition. Can also see a cheeky bid for Alan Campbell.

bingo70
03-12-2020, 07:21 PM
I like the look of the guy Kebamba at Kilmarnock.

He’s out of contract in the summer I think.

HendoDelivered
03-12-2020, 07:24 PM
I can see us going back in for Ross Stewart, i like Doidge but he's blowing hot and cold again. Stewart would be a good addition. Can also see a cheeky bid for Alan Campbell.

Where we getting the money for they 2??

erin go bragh
03-12-2020, 07:47 PM
I know he has had a few injuries since.leaving for Preston, not sure if he's fit but doesn't look to be getting game time.
He's played 40 times for PNE scoring 8 goals since leaving Motherwell.

Great player for Motherwell

And Boyce was a great player for County. I’d rather we keep developing Gullan. Just my opinion.

04Sauzee
03-12-2020, 08:04 PM
And Boyce was a great player for County. I’d rather we keep developing Gullan. Just my opinion.

I wasn't suggesting we shouldn't, somebody through his name in and i was just saying he was good dor Motherwell butnhe hasn't played much or scored many goals since moving down south.

offshorehibby
03-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Where we getting the money for they 2??

Both contracts up in May. In these times nothing is out of ordinary

Eyrie
03-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Both contracts up in May. In these times nothing is out of ordinary

I thought Campbell was still young enough that there would be a development fee?

keep the faith
03-12-2020, 10:15 PM

Doidge is a better player than Stewart IMO and thats the reason why I wouldnt bother with that one when money is tight.

Brooster
04-12-2020, 07:01 AM
I like the look of the guy Kebamba at Kilmarnock.

He’s out of contract in the summer I think.

The gaffer likes the look of him too by all accounts.

04Sauzee
09-12-2020, 12:20 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-take-part-transfer-speed-dating-clubs-including-psg-and-man-city-ahead-january-window-3062220

JohnMcM
09-12-2020, 12:27 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-take-part-transfer-speed-dating-clubs-including-psg-and-man-city-ahead-january-window-3062220

Has McInnes hacked into our account yet?:greengrin

maturehibby
09-12-2020, 02:39 PM
Think Aberdeen should pay Mathie's wages having used all his Scouting acumen to their advantage

Souter96Mac
09-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Doidge is a better player than Stewart IMO and thats the reason why I wouldnt bother with that one when money is tight.

I would agree, however what Stewart has that Doidge doesn't, is versatility. I think he's been played in a variety of positions and roles for County, like right wing/wingback at times. I think he's an exciting prospect that could offer us a lot.

Reckon Aberdeen will snap him up though

EVENTUALLY
09-12-2020, 04:19 PM
I would agree, however what Stewart has that Doidge doesn't, is versatility. I think he's been played in a variety of positions and roles for County, like right wing/wingback at times. I think he's an exciting prospect that could offer us a lot.

Reckon Aberdeen will snap him up though

Hope not although it may depend whether or not they sell Cosgrove.

I prefer Stewart to Doidge who's poor touch, control and general lack of football nous frustrates me. Stewart would be an improvement at centre forward and you're right he can play wider to good effect. I'd sign him, sell Doidge and leave it at that while we encourage Gullan to push on for a starting place out wide or through the middle.

Brightside
09-12-2020, 04:21 PM
Signed a new kit man.

Peevemor
09-12-2020, 04:22 PM

I prefer Stewart to Doidge who's poor touch, control and general lack of football nous frustrates me. Stewart would be an improvement at centre forward and you're right he can play wider to good effect. I'd sign him, sell Doidge and leave it at that while we encourage Gullan to push on for a starting place out wide or through the middle.I couldn't disagree more with your criticisms of Doidge. Opinions eh...

Andy74
09-12-2020, 04:23 PM

I prefer Stewart to Doidge who's poor touch, control and general lack of football nous frustrates me. Stewart would be an improvement at centre forward and you're right he can play wider to good effect. I'd sign him, sell Doidge and leave it at that while we encourage Gullan to push on for a starting place out wide or through the middle.

Eh, no.

Doidge is as good as we’ve had in that role in a long time. Better than Stewart.

04Sauzee
09-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Signed a new kit man.

Dont know much about him or the role he's been givenat ER but seen he was the current St Mirren kit man??. Seems to have been a gew new roles and promotions at ER, all good.

EVENTUALLY
09-12-2020, 04:34 PM
I couldn't disagree more with your criticisms of Doidge. Opinions eh...

That's all it is. No problem.

I've never rated Doidge. Wish him well and hope he performs well and scores every game but I think we could do better.

brog
09-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Eh, no.

Doidge is as good as we’ve had in that role in a long time. Better than Stewart.

Agreed. Oli Shaw has scored more (2) open play SPL goals for Ross C this season.

Clarence
10-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Signed a new kit man.

Has Tam been promoted to Director of detergents?

CMurdoch
10-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Źź

dchibs
10-12-2020, 02:55 PM
Źź

Are we signing Zidane? could still do a job for us.:thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
10-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Dont know much about him or the role he's been givenat ER but seen he was the current St Mirren kit man??. Seems to have been a gew new roles and promotions at ER, all good.
Guy I work beside has a laddie who plays for St Mirren youths and the chat is that this guy is a big loss to their whole football structure. Don't know much about him or what he does but that sounds positive.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2020, 04:28 PM

Surely if we were replacing Doidge we'd actually want someone who scores more goals?

The 90+2
10-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Are we signing Zidane? could still do a job for us.:thumbsup:

🤣🤣

badabing67
10-12-2020, 04:39 PM
I was kind of hoping that the Charleston trialist Thomas Roberts was gonna be a find, he should be training with the squad but i have not heard much since he joined has anyone got any info on him.

offshorehibby
10-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Surely if we were replacing Doidge we'd actually want someone who scores more goals?

I like Doidge and i never relay said said we were replacing him but he has had the odd quite spell with scoring. We've been in for Ross Stewart before and if we were to get him relatively cheap he might be an option is all i'm saying.

whiskyhibby
10-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Think Aberdeen should pay Mathie's wages having used all his Scouting acumen to their advantage

so true.....🤣🤣🤣

JammyDoidger
10-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Doidge is superb.

1875Sean
10-12-2020, 06:41 PM
I see shanley is away to Kelty Hearts

J-C
10-12-2020, 07:20 PM

Sensible, there's no reserves/Dev games and he's not going to get any game time right now.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2020, 07:22 PM

This was rumoured in the summer
What a waste for Ryan, 5 months of next to no football for him

Iggy Pope
10-12-2020, 07:27 PM
Sensible, there's no reserves/Dev games and he's not going to get any game time right now.

Cover feature to himself on the home match programme after his debut. The programme v Rangers indeed. And now he’s off to Kelty Hearts.... the season keeps getting stranger.

J-C
10-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Cover feature to himself on the home match programme after his debut. The programme v Rangers indeed. And now he’s off to Kelty Hearts.... the season keeps getting stranger.

Something like this should've been organised at the start of the season, as Billy says he's hardly kicked a ball.

Wheat Hound
10-12-2020, 07:47 PM
Were probably hanging onto Shanley as striking cover but maybe have designs on signing a striker in January?

Billy Whizz
10-12-2020, 07:48 PM

Think he was kept on for cover, but it’s not helping Ryan’s long term prospects. We sometimes ask why our players don’t developed?

I thought he could have gone to a higher level than Kelty though, but the main thing is Ryan plays every week!

chippy
11-12-2020, 05:38 AM
Greg Stewart - So far out the picture at Rangers and has real quality in the final third. Would score and create for fun imo, only thing is he might want to be part of rangers winning the league as he’s a die hard.

Ross Stewart - Holds the ball up very well, good touch and doesn’t give defenders a seconds rest. Would have resale value too if he kicked on as only 24 I think.

Alan Campbell - More than likely out of our budget or has better options, Aberdeen will almost certainly be desperate to sign him too. If not him someone of that ilk in the middle of the pitch that can single handedly dominate a game. Maybe offer Mallan as a bargaining chip but not sure he’s a Robinson type of player.

Stephen O’Donnell- One of the best right backs in Scotland. He’s 28 though and not sure he’s got much better moves in him so could happen. Only thing is McGinn has been brilliant this season, consistent and seems like he rarely gets injured so I can’t see us wasting a wage there.

Declan Gallagher - Same boat as O’Donnell although his international performances may give him more interested clubs however I’m not too convinced. Would be a great addition.

Stuart Findlay - Always quite liked the look of him at centre half, still young too and again would have value to sell again

Eamon Brophy - Reminds me a bit of Cummings with his swagger and build, also knows where the back of the net is.

Tshibola - Was disappointed we never tried for him in the summer but I think he must have a love for Kilmarnock, the players and staff there since he returned. He’s a centre mid that has a bit of everything about him.

For me those are the sort of players we should be going for and look like we will be based on the summer and who we were linked with. Out with Greg Stewart I imagine we would be able to beat their current wage, it’s about what other offers they have and if they fancy a move.

Theres other like

Ali McCann
Jackson Irvine
Louis Moult

But I just can’t see it.

McCann and Irvine would transform our team/squad. That would be enough for 3/4 th

JimBHibees
11-12-2020, 05:55 AM
Something like this should've been organised at the start of the season, as Billy says he's hardly kicked a ball.

Think consideration needs to be given to the circumstances in the summer. Has he been injured as he did seem to go missing after playing in Paisley. Probably kept as cover in case of injuries. Thought he might have got more of a run in league cup however most of the games were tight. Good opportunity now for him to hopefully play every week. Must have been good for him to be in and around the first team squad but agree now needs to play.

JimBHibees
11-12-2020, 06:00 AM
McCann and Irvine would transform our team/squad. That would be enough for 3/4 th

I think you must assume there is an issue with Irvine maybe injury related as very strange no club has picked him up. Think I prefer McCann to Campbell but given he is now getting games for Northern Ireland his profile will have increased and probably out of our potential signings economically

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2020, 06:23 AM

We're 8 clear of 5th after skelping them 3-0 at their own place. I definitely think we currently have enough for 3rd or 4th.

Brightside
11-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Not a hope we will sign McCann.

Berwickhibby
11-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Rumour from my Dunfermline supporting mate that Hibs made enquiries for Euan Murray, Dunfermline Centre Half and their top scorer, his contract apparently is up at the end of the season.

easty
11-12-2020, 07:47 AM
Rumour from my Dunfermline supporting mate that Hibs made enquiries for Euan Murray, Dunfermline Centre Half and their top scorer, his contract apparently is up at the end of the season.

Is he a good defender? I’ve never seen him play I don’t think, but I always see hes scoring goals, it’s no what I look for in a centre half!

Berwickhibby
11-12-2020, 07:54 AM

Is he a good defender? I’ve never seen him play I don’t think, but I always see hes scoring goals, it’s no what I look for in a centre half!

Can only recall him playing once and that was a couple of weeks ago against the ****bos. He played well and scored, I don't know if there is anything in this rumour, I am not in the know.

hhibs
11-12-2020, 09:29 AM
I think we might be surprisingly busy over the forthcoming window, just a feeling that Ron Gordon may see this financial crises as an opportunity to score some potential bargains.

I also wonder if some more money might have come through on the John McGinn front{the gift that keeps giving !)one of the add on clauses eg Games played for Villa.

we are hibs
11-12-2020, 05:44 PM
McGinn has signed a new contract at aston villa until 2025

Billy Whizz
11-12-2020, 05:46 PM
McGinn has signed a new contract at aston villa until 2025

He deserves it, just means he gets more money just now, and if Villa sell him, they get a bigger fee

badabing67
11-12-2020, 09:52 PM

Think that would be a good move

Greenbeard
12-12-2020, 07:28 AM
JR asked if he expects to be busy during the Jan window.
Says he will be active to some extent as he looks to strengthen depth in a couple of areas and keep the squad fresh but not overly busy and it will also depend on what moves out.

SteveHFC
12-12-2020, 07:34 AM
JR asked if he expects to be busy during the Jan window.
Says he will be active to some extent as he looks to strengthen depth in a couple of areas and keep the squad fresh but not overly busy and it will also depend on what moves out.

Another centre-back and a striker is my guess.