PDA

View Full Version : Laura Montgomery appointed CEO of Glasgow City

jacomo
01-12-2020, 11:13 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55145133

Good luck to her. Still no idea why we employed her when she was so involved with a competitor though.

H18 SFR
01-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Sounds like she has ben their CEO for a long time anyway, albeit being paid by Hibs.

worcesterhibby
01-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Good luck to her. Still no idea why we employed her when she was so involved with a competitor though.

Does seem odd, I didn't realise she was running Glasgow City and working for us simultaneously, Her heart was obviously more in the Glasgow City job. Hopefully this means we can get someone in whose sole focus will be on improving our income to support the playing side with funds.

green day
01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
"I cannot wait to be able to solely focus on our great club on a daily basis."

Not something I imagine she ever uttered while employed by us.

Even allowing for Lauras tragic personal circumstances, its not one of Dempsters best appointments.

The 90+2
01-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Sounds like she has ben their CEO for a long time anyway, albeit being paid by Hibs.

Not a bad job tbh.

Scott88
01-12-2020, 11:49 AM

100%. She was also involved when our women’s team where at there strongest. She was in charge or sponsorship at our club yet our ladies got nothing. - Glasgow City on the other hand seem to keep popping up with Hibs related businesses (either fans of Hibs with a business or getting contacts of large companies she met through her workplace) - surely any sign of someone willing to invest money into women’s football her role should have been to direct to HLFC or who ever was/is in charge.

Chorley Hibee
01-12-2020, 12:47 PM
A friend's company contacted her with regards a sponsorship initiative (twice) and didn't even receive a reply/acknowledgement.

Not quite sure what it was she brought to the table, it didn't seem to be much.

Rumble de Thump
01-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Did she have any relevant qualifications or experience for her role at Hibs?

Viva_Palmeiras
01-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Looks like her colleagues valued and will miss her but her Twitter feed (and ones personal Twitter feed is just that) would make you think she’s working for Glasgow City rather than Hibs. But if she helped run it for so long you cAn only imagine this association was down with the blessing of Hibs (whom I notice appear to be the “Full Time” job referred to but not named )

Lago
01-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Looks like her colleagues valued and will miss her but her Twitter feed (and ones personal Twitter feed is just that) would make you think she’s working for Glasgow City rather than Hibs. But if she helped run it for so long you cAn only imagine this association was down with the blessing of Hibs (whom I notice appear to be the “Full Time” job referred to but not named )
So Hibs were effectively subsidising another football club. Strange situation.

superfurryhibby
01-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Did she have any relevant qualifications or experience for her role at Hibs?

Her experience at Glasgow City?

On the face of it, this does seem like an odd situation. Not one of Leeann’s better appointments.

hhibs
01-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Good that she has gone.

It would seem there was little or no effective contribution to Hibs and a seemingly obvious conflict of interest with her Glasgow City role.

One has to wonder why she was ever appointed and who made the decision to make that appointment.

The 90+2
01-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Good that she has gone.

It would seem there was little or no effective contribution to Hibs and a seemingly obvious conflict of interest with her Glasgow City role.

One has to wonder why she was ever appointed and who made the decision to make that appointment.

Dempster appointed her, I thought that was common knowledge?

hhibs
01-12-2020, 01:37 PM
A friend's company contacted her with regards a sponsorship initiative (twice) and didn't even receive a reply/acknowledgement.

Not quite sure what it was she brought to the table, it didn't seem to be much.

That is truly shameful, glad the changes are being made.

hhibs
01-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Dempster appointed her, I thought that was common knowledge?

That question was actually rhetorical.

Carheenlea
01-12-2020, 01:43 PM
I’ve not heard of Laura Montgomerie before reading this thread. The article says she was head of sales and sponsorship and no idea if she was any good or not, but the failure to secure a shirt sponsor post Marathon Bet isn’t really a great testimonial.

Smartie
01-12-2020, 01:44 PM
I read a few articles about her personal situation, I think she may have written a couple of blogs herself. It was clear that she was beside herself with grief and it would have been impossible for any human being not to feel heart sorry for her.

Unfortunately that might have masked a situation that was growing increasingly unsatisfactory at Hibs re her performance in role, conflict of interests etc and having read the articles it feels horrifically callous to say something like that.

All that should really be said is that this will undoubtedly be the best solution for everyone to move forward in their own best interests. Laura will be able to devote her full attention to the club that is her main love. I believe that she is someone who has made a massive contribution to the women's game in this country and I expect her to be able to continue to do so happily.

Hibs will be able to appoint someone who will be able to give the role at Hibs the attentions it deserves. Nobody at Hibs will have to feel any awkwardness about how such a situation might have been allowed to develop any more.

We move on.

hhibs
01-12-2020, 02:04 PM
I read a few articles about her personal situation, I think she may have written a couple of blogs herself. It was clear that she was beside herself with grief and it would have been impossible for any human being not to feel heart sorry for her.

Unfortunately that might have masked a situation that was growing increasingly unsatisfactory at Hibs re her performance in role, conflict of interests etc and having read the articles it feels horrifically callous to say something like that.

All that should really be said is that this will undoubtedly be the best solution for everyone to move forward in their own best interests. Laura will be able to devote her full attention to the club that is her main love. I believe that she is someone who has made a massive contribution to the women's game in this country and I expect her to be able to continue to do so happily.

Hibs will be able to appoint someone who will be able to give the role at Hibs the attentions it deserves. Nobody at Hibs will have to feel any awkwardness about how such a situation might have been allowed to develop any more.

We move on.

Are you suggesting or even stating that I am being "horrifically callous" in pointing out the conflict of interest ,which was clear and should have been to our CEO, long before her sad loss.

Smartie
01-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Are you suggesting or even stating that I am being "horrifically callous" in pointing out the conflict of interest ,which was clear and should have been to our CEO, long before her sad loss.

Nope.

I was pointing out that I'd had similar thoughts and when I learned a bit more about her personal situation I felt pretty bad about it.

It's up to you how you want to feel about it all.

I'd like to think that Hibs as an employer and we as a support could cut folk a bit of slack in certain situations, even when they appear to be pretty unsatisfactory.

It's only a game. Do we care that much?

I'm not going to get involved in any bickering about it - especially now we're talking about someone who is no longer at the club and the matter is finished.

If she was still at the club, actively siphoning money off to Ibrox then I might get a bit hot under the collar. But she's not.

hhibs
01-12-2020, 02:33 PM
Nope.

I was pointing out that I'd had similar thoughts and when I learned a bit more about her personal situation I felt pretty bad about it.

It's up to you how you want to feel about it all.

I'd like to think that Hibs as an employer and we as a support could cut folk a bit of slack in certain situations, even when they appear to be pretty unsatisfactory.

It's only a game. Do we care that much?

I'm not going to get involved in any bickering about it - especially now we're talking about someone who is no longer at the club and the matter is finished.

If she was still at the club, actively siphoning money off to Ibrox then I might get a bit hot under the collar. But she's not.

Good

Brightside
01-12-2020, 03:04 PM
I'm not disagreeing with anything on this thread but it may be better if it was closed tbh.

Henderson2Del
01-12-2020, 03:45 PM
I think it’s showing that Ron is looking to run a leaner and far more efficient and results oriented business to support the football side

Edinburgh Green
01-12-2020, 03:47 PM
I'm not disagreeing with anything on this thread but it may be better if it was closed tbh.

Really? Why? There seems to be valid reasons to scrutinize her time at Hibs and the obvious conflict of interest.

Since90+2
01-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Did she not start Glasgow City originally?

JimBHibees
01-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Really? Why? There seems to be valid reasons to scrutinize her time at Hibs and the obvious conflict of interest.

Do people really know enough about the job she did? Personally would have no clue one way or the other. Not sure I really see the conflict of interest either given the women's team were I think self funded

Andy74
01-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Do people really know enough about the job she did? Personally would have no clue one way or the other. Not sure I really see the conflict of interest either given the women's team were I think self funded

Most of us don’t know much about any of the things or people we talk about!

James Stephen
01-12-2020, 04:14 PM
Dempster had quite a specific remit, and major job when she came in.

I think its clear that Gordon wants more emphasis on commercial etc, and given how far Hibs lag behind both dons and hearts in bringing in commercial income, and given Hibs high profile difficulties in bringing in a main sponsor, i think it seems fair to say she wasnt doing anything exceptional. Appreciate she had horrific personal circumstances to cope with too.

Always thought the dual role was weird, and shouldnt have been allowed.

JimBHibees
01-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Most of us don’t know much about any of the things or people we talk about!

Apparently so. :greengrin

Max_Shah
01-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Explain, using primary sources where relevant, why you believe this thread should be closed.

Correct me if I am being an insufferable smart-arse but I must have missed your promotion to moderator and thus chief arbiter of the discursive limits of what can or cannot be known about women’s fitbaw on this forum. :na na:

There is some interesting, and above all, perfectly civil debate going on about a subject/individual I personally know little about which may have relevance to the team[s] I am involved in, so let it play out and let the legit moderators decide whether or not it is appropriate.

Brightside
01-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Constant reference to the woman’s personal tragedy aren’t exactly pleasant. She’s gone now. No need to press this any further. Imagine if she’s looking in? Perhaps just be a bit kinder.

Gerard
01-12-2020, 05:00 PM
It would appear that Mr RJ Gordon wants Hibs to concentrate on increasing its revenue at a time when the economy is heading for a recession .This is a very important requirement if the cub is going to be competitive in the SPL and beyond. The Hearts turnover was much less andthe club is beimng lent money to enable it to survive. They will not be the only club that faces a tough time finacially.
I look forward to the way that Mr Gordon will make our club able to compete in our league and beyond.
If that requires a different staff to achieve this goal, so be it.:wink:

H18 SFR
01-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Constant reference to the woman’s personal tragedy aren’t exactly pleasant. She’s gone now. No need to press this any further. Imagine if she’s looking in? Perhaps just be a bit kinder.

If we closed everything off for discussion after a citizen experienced tragedy, we wouldn’t have very much to talk about.

As the saying goes, life must go on.

Perhaps you need to give this thread a miss rather that decide what is best for everyone else?

Slim Shady
01-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Does seem odd, I didn't realise she was running Glasgow City and working for us simultaneously, Her heart was obviously more in the Glasgow City job. Hopefully this means we can get someone in whose sole focus will be on improving our income to support the playing side with funds.

Laura was out her depth at Hibs and only reason she was in a job was down to her social circles. was eventually moved roles to head of sales with little responsibility.

Had several conversations with her regarding offering sponsorship to the club which got nowhere.
Had some lengthy conversations upon which I’ve left bewildered at the answers given - totally unacceptable.

One current sponsor was invited to a meeting by Laura, he was excited to see what he was going to be offered as has spent £ks per season on the club in sponsorship - to his dismay he was asked if he would be interested in replicating the sponsorship in Glasgow City. No mention of Hibs.

Glad to note the new team which includes Greg McEwan and Murray Milligan have been excellent. Some of the news companies sponsoring the club is great to see. Bringing in extra revenue where possible.

bob12345
01-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Laura was out her depth at Hibs and only reason she was in a job was down to her social circles. was eventually moved roles to head of sales with little responsibility.

Had several conversations with her regarding offering sponsorship to the club which got nowhere.
Had some lengthy conversations upon which I’ve left bewildered at the answers given - totally unacceptable.

One current sponsor was invited to a meeting by Laura, he was excited to see what he was going to be offered as has spent £ks per season on the club in sponsorship - to his dismay he was asked if he would be interested in replicating the sponsorship in Glasgow City. No mention of Hibs.

Glad to note the new team which includes Greg McEwan and Murray Milligan have been excellent. Some of the news companies sponsoring the club is great to see. Bringing in extra revenue where possible.

I’ve worked with Murray in the past and Hibs are onto a winner with that appointment. Extremely driven and ambitious up and coming commercial man. Fingers crossed for good times ahead.

Chorley Hibee
01-12-2020, 07:11 PM

Matches what I heard too.

Concerning that she was ever in the position, and doesn't paint Dempster in too good a light either if it was her who gave her the job.

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2020, 07:41 PM
My own view is we never capitalised off the field on the back of cup win. Too slow with ideas, no sponsorship, and lots just not doing the business. Lets hope we see real progress now

jacomo
01-12-2020, 07:42 PM

I can't comment on the quality of the work she did for Hibs but the conflict of interest is surely undeniable? She was earning her income from Hibs, but devoted to Glasgow City. Hibs Ladies were Glasgow City's biggest rivals and only real challengers until recently.

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2020, 07:44 PM
I can't comment on the quality of the work she did for Hibs but the conflict of interest is surely undeniable? She was earning her income from Hibs, but devoted to Glasgow City. Hibs Ladies were Glasgow City's biggest rivals and only real challengers until recently.

The irony of her smiling away with GC players after beating Hibs at the piggery

Peevemor
01-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Was part of her job to find sponsorship, etc. for Hibs Ladies? My understanding is that they're basically a separate entity, under the wing of the club but run by the Community Foundation.

Are Glasgow City really in competition with Hibernian FC? I honestly don't see it.

I don't know how she got the job at Hibs or how good she was at it (I'm not doubting what people are posting), but some of the accusations and reactions strike me as being a bit OTT and probably unfair when we don't know the whole story and she's not here to defend herself.

AugustaHibs
01-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Thank **** she’s gone.

Scotty Leither
01-12-2020, 08:16 PM
My own view is we never capitalised off the field on the back of cup win. Too slow with ideas, no sponsorship, and lots just not doing the business. Lets hope we see real progress now

Yup...21/05/2016 was a cathartic moment for Hibernian FC, but it's already the thick end of 5 years in the past. We've got to keep improving and progressing and keep our history evolving.

I sometimes think (rightly or wrongly) that there's a few still in positions of influence at ER that think "job done" after the Cup win.

It showed the true potential of the club and should have been a launch pad to a more consistent period of success re league placings in particular, but it hasn't transpired that way.

Our default setting seems to be to retreat into ourselves at times, and I really hope Gordon sees the true potential of the club and appoints a new CEO that gets the club and understands the fans' aspirations and really kicks us on.

It's not difficult: Sign decent players and give us an attractive, bold and aggressive team that we can readily identify with and enjoy watching. Beat Hearts more often; big-up the fixture in the manner that they do. Get the whole club wanting to do them.

Achieve that and the rest will follow.

Oh, and get the club more visibly and actively involved with HSL and get the contributions up.

Andy74
01-12-2020, 09:13 PM

Yep, we should have been raking it in. You could hardly buy a cup winning souvenir afterwards. Bigger item stuff would have flown off shelves like David Gray signed anything...

That’s before you start on the commercial and hospitality stuff which we’ve behind other clubs with.

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2020, 09:23 PM
We are all HIBS

From bottom to top

100%

No conflicts of interest

All or nothing

JimBHibees
01-12-2020, 09:23 PM

Hibs the club are not competing with Glasgow city. Thought that Hibs ladies were self funding so no conflict at all.

Bright_Hibee
01-12-2020, 09:24 PM
She cost us two years worth of sponsorship, no great loss to us. Shame about her personal life, but that's about £500k to us that we've missed out on I'd imagine

Smartie
01-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Hibs the club are not competing with Glasgow city. Thought that Hibs ladies were self funding so no conflict at all.

Depends on which way you look at it.

Hibernian FC and Glasgow City are not direct on-field competitors. There's more than one anecdote on this thread about people interesting in putting money Hibs way being diverted towards giving it to Glasgow City. In that sense they are very much in competition - for the attention and money of prospective sponsors.

When it comes to spending money over the summer Hibs and their season tickets are competing with golf clubs, holidays and other things for people's attention. It's highly unlikely/ impossible that anyone is going to be tempted away from spending money on a season ticket at Hibs to spend money on a season ticket at any of our footballing competitors.

It would be a big concern if anyone on our payroll was behaving in such a way - or to be in a position where a separate commitment might leave them conflicted.

Smartie
01-12-2020, 09:43 PM
She cost us two years worth of sponsorship, no great loss to us. Shame about her personal life, but that's about £500k to us that we've missed out on I'd imagine

A bit harsh and simplistic to lay that at her door entirely.

We'll never know what sorts of sponsorship someone else might have managed to rustle up.

Hopefully we get that sorted from next season onwards though.

Just_Jimmy
01-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Constant reference to the woman’s personal tragedy aren’t exactly pleasant. She’s gone now. No need to press this any further. Imagine if she’s looking in? Perhaps just be a bit kinder.I don't see anyone being insensitive, indeed it's being raised as a legitimate reason her performance may have lacked something. regardless there are legitimate points raised about said performance that were regularly swept under the carpet at the time. she shouldn't have been near the job and it's undoubtedly cost Hibs revenue.

that said Glasgow City are close to her heart and I genuinely wish her well. I hope she finds personal inner peace back at a club she loves.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jacomo
01-12-2020, 09:49 PM

Come on now.

Hibs Ladies is our team. They wear our colours and represent us whether you follow them or not. They are part of our brand. They need to grow but to do that they need to increase their budget. One obvious way to do that is through commercial income and sponsorship.

Brightside
01-12-2020, 10:30 PM
Come on now.

Hibs Ladies is our team. They wear our colours and represent us whether you follow them or not. They are part of our brand. They need to grow but to do that they need to increase their budget. One obvious way to do that is through commercial income and sponsorship.

The sponsorship team at Hibernian do not try and raise any sponsorship for Hibs Women. People that work for the foundation try and do that. Its had nothing at all to do with Laura.

Scott88
02-12-2020, 02:00 AM
The sponsorship team at Hibernian do not try and raise any sponsorship for Hibs Women. People that work for the foundation try and do that. Its had nothing at all to do with Laura.

Your correct to an extent. No one would have expected Laura to go out and generate sponsorship for HLFC but when she’s asking current Hibs based sponsors to do the same for Glasgow city that quite frankly is disgraceful any sign of sponsors willing to invest into the women’s game should have been pointed straight to the direction of HLFC or women as they are now called.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2020, 05:35 AM
Just noticed that Waterman’s Legal also sponsor Glasgow City Women’s Football Club

They do have a Branch in Glasgow

bigwheel
02-12-2020, 06:08 AM

Not a chance that she would be the sole responsible person for our main sponsorship. That would most often have been secured by Petrie in the past and Dempster in recent years...unfair to suggest the lack of sponsor was her doing alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barney McGrew
02-12-2020, 06:09 AM
A bit harsh and simplistic to lay that at her door entirely.

The buck stops with the person in charge.

If your role is head of sponsorship and your department doesn’t deliver the key revenue driver of shirt sponsorship on your watch, then that is 100% your responsibility. And that’s before anyone even looks at some of the other stuff mentioned on this thread.

Since90+2
02-12-2020, 06:21 AM
The buck stops with the person in charge.

If your role is head of sponsorship and your department doesn’t deliver the key revenue driver of shirt sponsorship on your watch, then that is 100% your responsibility. And that’s before anyone even looks at some of the other stuff mentioned on this thread.

If the buck stops with the person in charge then ultimately it lies with the CEO.

Rumble de Thump
02-12-2020, 07:07 AM
If you're job title is head of sales and sponsorship then it's pretty clear which two things you're responsible for.

Peevemor
02-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Does anyone know why we didn't have a commercial shirt sponsor for 19/20? If not can we stop with the lynch mob stuff?

Since90+2
02-12-2020, 07:34 AM
If you're job title is head of sales and sponsorship then it's pretty clear which two things you're responsible for.

For most things yes, for something as fundamental and such a high revenue driver as the clubs main sponsor then that's stops with the CEO imo.

FilipinoHibs
02-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Sorry to hear about her personal situation but sounds like we were too soft with her and she was being protected by Leeann. Worked for two large US companies and they are quick to clear out those that don't deliver.

green day
02-12-2020, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know why we didn't have a commercial shirt sponsor for 19/20? If not can we stop with the lynch mob stuff?

The problem is that we are all Hibs fans, and some of us think that the task of revenue generation for our club has been poorly executed for some time and we appeared not to capitalise on the cup win.................I am being kind with some of these words.

If it were isolated rumours I would discount them, but a few people have posted detail which is identical to what I was told by one of our sponsors and who I have known for 30+ years.

That detail doesnt paint those responsible for securing commercial and sponsorship money for Hibs in a good or professional light.

I feel very sorry for LM personal circumstances, it is perhaps good to draw a line under it now, and move on.

Peevemor
02-12-2020, 08:04 AM
The problem is that we are all Hibs fans, and some of us think that the task of revenue generation for our club has been poorly executed for some time and we appeared not to capitalise on the cup win.................I am being kind with some of these words.

If it were isolated rumours I would discount them, but a few people have posted detail which is identical to what I was told by one of our sponsors and who I have known for 30+ years.

That detail doesnt paint those responsible for securing commercial and sponsorship money for Hibs in a good or professional light.

I feel very sorry for LM personal circumstances, it is perhaps good to draw a line under it now, and move on.

I'm not saying that she doesn't have failings - I honestly don't know, and I'm not suggesting that anyone here is making up stories about her.

But she's being accused of everything ranging from incompetence to dishonesty and these things have a habit of sticking.

jacomo
02-12-2020, 08:15 AM
For most things yes, for something as fundamental and such a high revenue driver as the clubs main sponsor then that's stops with the CEO imo.

Very true, but Laura has her share of responsibility here, no doubt.

Also, people saying that there is no conflict of interest because Hibernian Women are supported by the Community Foundation... well, our shirt 'sponsor' last year WAS the Foundation, so clearly there is a very direct link between sponsorship and the women's team.

As I have said above, I do not know anything the quality of her work for Hibs, but it is entirely legitimate to scrutinise what appeared to be a very obvious conflict of interest. Those trying to shut this down sound like those Jambos who seem to think any questioning of the way their club is run is out of order.

The fact that she appears to refer to us merely as 'her previous day job' and is expressing joy at now being able to devote herself to Glasgow City full time makes me think that we should never have appointed her in the first place.

overdrive
02-12-2020, 08:26 AM
Very true, but Laura has her share of responsibility here, no doubt.

Also, people saying that there is no conflict of interest because Hibernian Women are supported by the Community Foundation... well, our shirt 'sponsor' last year WAS the Foundation, so clearly there is a very direct link between sponsorship and the women's team.

As I have said above, I do not know anything the quality of her work for Hibs, but it is entirely legitimate to scrutinise what appeared to be a very obvious conflict of interest. Those trying to shut this down sound like those Jambos who seem to think any questioning of the way their club is run is out of order.

The fact that she appears to refer to us merely as 'her previous day job' and is expressing joy at now being able to devote herself to Glasgow City full time makes me think that we should never have appointed her in the first place.

Although on the face of it, I'd agree it looks like there were potentially issues with her in the role, I'm not sure I agree with your closing remark. I consider my job my "day job" but I'd be delighted if I got a job doing essentially what is my passion/hobby. You don't have to love your employer so long as you are doing your job professionally.

The Baldmans Comb
02-12-2020, 08:28 AM
A very strange appointment by Dempster from day 1 and it is utterly no surprise that they are both leaving at exactly the same time.

Brightside
02-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Although on the face of it, I'd agree it looks like there were potentially issues with her in the role, I'm not sure I agree with your closing remark. I consider my job my "day job" but I'd be delighted if I got a job doing essentially what is my passion/hobby. You don't have to love your employer so long as you are doing your job professionally.

Exactly the same as almost every footballer.

jacomo
02-12-2020, 08:41 AM

If your passion/hobby is a direct conflict of interest with your day job, your employer has a right to be concerned about it.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2020, 08:46 AM
If not can we stop with the lynch mob stuff?

I don’t think it’s entirely fair to say there’s a lynch mob, more that there are entirely legitimate worries being raised about a high profile (now former) employee of the club.

I don’t believe that’s entirely her fault - IMO appointing someone whose professional background AFAIK was not one of commercial sponsorship or marketing was always going to be a gamble and on the face of it it doesn’t appear to have worked out as well as had been hoped. However, I’m sure there were many positives she brought in as well, and I wish her all the best for the future at Glasgow City, which has always understandably her passion outside her day job.

We’ll move on now, and hopefully we can bring in someone with a strong track record in similar roles that can really drive the income for the club on that front. Whether they’re a Hibs supporter in not is immaterial to me, as long as they are successful.

superfurryhibby
02-12-2020, 08:50 AM
For anyone who knows about her, what was her actual qualification to come to Hibs and become head of sales and sponsorship? Did she have a proven track record at this elsewhere? You would like to think that Hibs only employ people with proven expertise in the role they are recruited for, just like we would for any footballer we sign. Can anyone point to her successes in the role at Hibs?

Bright_Hibee
02-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Not a chance that she would be the sole responsible person for our main sponsorship. That would most often have been secured by Petrie in the past and Dempster in recent years...unfair to suggest the lack of sponsor was her doing alone.

I don't want to sound like I am being rude, but do you really think that Petrie and Dempster sought out sponsorship? There is a sales team that are in that role which Laura headed up and totally failed on. They will sell short sponsorship to fans (I've done this in the past) and things like the ones around the pitch. The amount of times I saw adverts for murder mystery nights was ridiculous, even the club slates them on Twitter - they're obviously not liked. I suspect if she wasn't friends with Dempster she would have been long gone.

I think it was a guy called Greg in that position before and he was very good I think that era was better in terms of Hibs TV content, articles online and advertising. Contrast that to the last 18 months and it has been poor and we are without a major sponsor which is harming the club.

If Petrie and Dempster were solely responsible for negotiating our sponsorship deals then I will eat my hat!

jacomo
02-12-2020, 11:09 AM
I don't want to sound like I am being rude, but do you really think that Petrie and Dempster sought out sponsorship? There is a sales team that are in that role which Laura headed up and totally failed on. They will sell short sponsorship to fans (I've done this in the past) and things like the ones around the pitch. The amount of times I saw adverts for murder mystery nights was ridiculous, even the club slates them on Twitter - they're obviously not liked. I suspect if she wasn't friends with Dempster she would have been long gone.

I think it was a guy called Greg in that position before and he was very good I think that era was better in terms of Hibs TV content, articles online and advertising. Contrast that to the last 18 months and it has been poor and we are without a major sponsor which is harming the club.

If Petrie and Dempster were solely responsible for negotiating our sponsorship deals then I will eat my hat!

It's not an either/or situation.

The sales team will generate leads and fulfil sponsorship commitments from the club side. But of course any major investor or partner will want to seal the deal with the most senior person. Shirt sponsorship probably relies on connections made by the CEO / Chairman. Shared responsibility.

Just look at the SPFL - Neil Doncaster is (rightly) held accountable for failing to secure sponsors, even though there will be others within the organisation working on the details.

Mr. Wonderful
02-12-2020, 06:53 PM
It's not an either/or situation.

The sales team will generate leads and fulfil sponsorship commitments from the club side. But of course any major investor or partner will want to seal the deal with the most senior person. Shirt sponsorship probably relies on connections made by the CEO / Chairman. Shared responsibility.

Just look at the SPFL - Neil Doncaster is (rightly) held accountable for failing to secure sponsors, even though there will be others within the organisation working on the details.

Who takes blame when the sales team fail to generate leads

Ggtth

Beefster
02-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Just noticed that Waterman’s Legal also sponsor Glasgow City Women’s Football Club

They do have a Branch in Glasgow

Yes.

bigwheel
02-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Who takes blame when the sales team fail to generate leads

Ggtth

taking the blame, isn't necessarily the same as "who is to blame"....

The reality is, creating the sponsorship conversations is definitely one of the commercial lead role. In practice, the main sponsorship deals in Hibs have been fronted and concluded by Petrie or Dempster in recent years..

Orchard_Hibs
02-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Probably a bit off topic but I’m more excited by who Ron Gordon brings in to replace the outgoing members. LD was good and probably what we needed when we she started but all of these roles have a shelf life and hers is imo coming to an end with us, as for LM I’m confident Ron will replace with better.

Clarence
02-12-2020, 09:12 PM
Probably a bit off topic but I’m more excited by who Ron Gordon brings in to replace the outgoing members. LD was good and probably what we needed when we she started but all of these roles have a shelf life and hers is imo coming to an end with us, as for LM I’m confident Ron will replace with better.

I’m also excited. We need a tough talking go getter who knows that to make an omelette you gotta smash a few eggs goddammit! Although someone who can sort out a decent sponsor, the turnstiles and the catering would be a start. Ps it’s a metaphoric omelette, I think we should still have pies n that for the catering.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2020, 09:14 PM
I’m also excited. We need a tough talking go getter who knows that to make an omelette you gotta smash a few eggs goddammit! Although someone who can sort out a decent sponsor, the turnstiles and the catering would be a start. Ps it’s a metaphoric omelette, I think we should still have pies n that for the catering.
Chips in the West Upper pretty please :greengrin

Orchard_Hibs
02-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Chips in the West Upper pretty please :greengrin

Personally there isn’t enough lobster rolls kicking about, always sold out.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Strange situation. Probably for the best she is gone. Vital role in clubs these days and needs someone doing everything they can for us.

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2020, 05:31 PM
When our previous commercial guy left, his ‘no 2’ if you like was meant to step up.

He had a great relationship with Marathon Bet etc and fully expected to get promoted.

When Laura got appointed in his place he left to go to Newcastle or Sunderland, can’t remember which.

Story I heard is that she gave MB a take it or leave it offer and they walked away.

Whatever, failing to secure a sponsor is clearly a failure so best that we get someone else in.

James Stephen
04-12-2020, 08:18 AM
For anyone who knows about her, what was her actual qualification to come to Hibs and become head of sales and sponsorship? Did she have a proven track record at this elsewhere? You would like to think that Hibs only employ people with proven expertise in the role they are recruited for, just like we would for any footballer we sign. Can anyone point to her successes in the role at Hibs?

Im sure Dempster appointed a head of comms who had no experience or qualifications for the role too, if memory serves. Might even have been the current one (who is qualified and i think is doing a good job) brother?

Barney McGrew
04-12-2020, 08:48 AM
When our previous commercial guy left, his ‘no 2’ if you like was meant to step up.

He had a great relationship with Marathon Bet etc and fully expected to get promoted.

When Laura got appointed in his place he left to go to Newcastle or Sunderland, can’t remember which.

Story I heard is that she gave MB a take it or leave it offer and they walked away.

Whatever, failing to secure a sponsor is clearly a failure so best that we get someone else in.

It was Newcastle

Bright_Hibee
04-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Im sure Dempster appointed a head of comms who had no experience or qualifications for the role too, if memory serves. Might even have been the current one (who is qualified and i think is doing a good job) brother?

Our current communication offering is mince. I am sure the current head of comms is well intentioned, but probably another in the field of being hired because of a relationship at the club (as per your comment) instead of on merit. Certainly in the past two years the quality of content has deteriorated to red top style content. The programme this year is tripe too, I've stopped looking out for it. I think the club needs a complete overhaul internally.

The only area we are performing well in is design, I like the colour schemes used and think they match our club well as they definitely remind me of bygone days when I could attend games, makes me miss being in Scotland. That's my very uninformed input on it

ekhibee
04-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Whatever her actual responsibilities were she certainly shouldn't have been pointing potential sponsors in the direction of Glasgow City while she was working for Hibs. In most organisations that would surely, at the least, be subject to disciplinary. But I didn't know what her responsibilities were and I would be surprised if many other people on here did.

Saturday Boy
04-12-2020, 07:03 PM
Our current communication offering is mince. I am sure the current head of comms is well intentioned, but probably another in the field of being hired because of a relationship at the club (as per your comment) instead of on merit. Certainly in the past two years the quality of content has deteriorated to red top style content. The programme this year is tripe too, I've stopped looking out for it. I think the club needs a complete overhaul internally.
The
The only area we are performing well in is design, I like the colour schemes used and think they match our club well as they definitely remind me of bygone days when I could attend games, makes me miss being in Scotland. That's my very uninformed input on it

Absolutely nailed it.

With your last sentence.

Bright_Hibee
04-12-2020, 07:07 PM
Absolutely nailed it.

With your last sentence.

As an international fan I am allowed my comment on my main way of keeping connected to the club, son. My uninformed opinion was about design as I know nothing about it, but I do know about quality writing and I just haven't seen it. So you have anything constructive to say or are you just going to be a whiney wee boy about it?

EI255
04-12-2020, 07:42 PM
Wow. This has made my weekend.

[emoji23]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
04-12-2020, 11:16 PM
There is some talk on here that she used contacts made through Hibs to try and source funding for Glasgow City. One even claiming that an existing Hibs sponsor was called into the club to meet her only to find himself presented with a pitch for Glasgow City.

One poster suggested that there wasn't a conflict between her role at Hibs and her role at Glasgow City because the two clubs aren't in competition, I beg to differ. It wouldn't matter if Glasgow City made Jam or Biscuits rather than played football, it's at the very least unethical to:

A) Try and divert a possible sponsor looking to put money into your employers business into putting that money into another business you are involved in.

B) To use the facilities, commercial infrastructure and contacts of the business that employs you, even if you have facilitated those contacts on behalf of the business initially, to carry out work for another business if it is in any way detrimental to the one that employs you. If there is any substance to that it would be a sacking offence on the spot at practically any business you can think of.

When I worked for the Civil Service the rules were incredibly strict against using contacts you had made in your capacity as a government employee to promote or drum up trade for any outside business. For different reasons commercial business applies rules that are just as strict, even to the point that you can end up in court if you aren't careful.

It seems to me that Laura Montgomery had a massive conflict of interest that impacted on her work for the club and it's as well for Hibs and her that she is no longer involved with us. I don't know what the rules are in America, but I'll bet a pound to a penny Ron Gordon would have no truck with such goings on. From my point of view as a fan who sinks a considerable amount of money ( for me ) into Hibs every year I do not want to see the money I give used to employ someone who isn't 100% committed to the job they are paid to do for the club.

On or off the pitch.

BILLYHIBS
05-12-2020, 04:40 AM
There is some talk on here that she used contacts made through Hibs to try and source funding for Glasgow City. One even claiming that an existing Hibs sponsor was called into the club to meet her only to find himself presented with a pitch for Glasgow City.

One poster suggested that there wasn't a conflict between her role at Hibs and her role at Glasgow City because the two clubs aren't in competition, I beg to differ. It wouldn't matter if Glasgow City made Jam or Biscuits rather than played football, it's at the very least unethical to:

A) Try and divert a possible sponsor looking to put money into your employers business into putting that money into another business you are involved in.

B) To use the facilities, commercial infrastructure and contacts of the business that employs you, even if you have facilitated those contacts on behalf of the business initially, to carry out work for another business if it is in any way detrimental to the one that employs you. If there is any substance to that it would be a sacking offence on the spot at practically any business you can think of.

When I worked for the Civil Service the rules were incredibly strict against using contacts you had made in your capacity as a government employee to promote or drum up trade for any outside business. For different reasons commercial business applies rules that are just as strict, even to the point that you can end up in court if you aren't careful.

It seems to me that Laura Montgomery had a massive conflict of interest that impacted on her work for the club and it's as well for Hibs and her that she is no longer involved with us. I don't know what the rules are in America, but I'll bet a pound to a penny Ron Gordon would have no truck with such goings on. From my point of view as a fan who sinks a considerable amount of money ( for me ) into Hibs every year I do not want to see the money I give used to employ someone who isn't 100% committed to the job they are paid to do for the club.

On or off the pitch.

:top marks

FilipinoHibs
05-12-2020, 04:57 AM

On or off the pitch.

Rules for this very struct for US corporations. Not allowed to do any in your own time that conflicts with the interest if your employer. Would have been a sacking offence if she had worked for a US company. Unless of course you are a member of the Trump family.

bigwheel
05-12-2020, 05:06 AM

On or off the pitch.

These points may all be true ..but it feels there’s quite a few who want to hold this person guilty of crimes against out club, on the mere rumours and suggestions of improper behaviour on here.

There’s every chance that she worked very hard to do well in her role and it just didn’t work out ..It seems the relationship with Glasgow City has cast her as a “baddie” .

Seems well out of proportion to me

The Baldmans Comb
05-12-2020, 06:54 AM

I can't say I followed your train of thought here but are you saying that Dempster employed a second person into a very senior position
who had no qualifications or experience.🤔🤔

James Stephen
05-12-2020, 07:39 AM
I can't say I followed your train of thought here but are you saying that Dempster employed a second person into a very senior position
who had no qualifications or experience.🤔🤔

Sorry, i didnt word that very well!

I think the last but one head of communications had no background in communications (i remember thinking this was an odd move at the time).He then moved to another role in the club, and was replaced by his brother (former journalist and SFA comms person) who is the current person in the job.

Obviously we dont know the circumstances of this or Laura Montgomery's appointments, and it may have been they were doing the club a turn by helping out while a more permanent person was identified, or that Dempster just wanted to make appointments quickly of people she knew and trusted.

green day
05-12-2020, 07:41 AM
These points may all be true ..but it feels there’s quite a few who want to hold this person guilty of crimes against out club, on the mere rumours and suggestions of improper behaviour on here.

There’s every chance that she worked very hard to do well in her role and it just didn’t work out ..It seems the relationship with Glasgow City has cast her as a “baddie” .

Seems well out of proportion to me

Sure there are some who just dont like that she was constantly banging on about City when working for us. It certainly grated with me but I guess could be badged as "outside of work interests"

But there are also people who have posted - info that is identical to that I have had from a Hibs sponsor - which suggests that she was also asking businesses for City sponsorship while doing that very role for Hibs - that to me is totally unacceptable.

The detail has been circulating privately for some time, I guess that her departure has just precipitated some of these stories onto here.

Beefster
05-12-2020, 08:02 AM

On or off the pitch.

Maybe it’s just me but large swathes of this thread seem on extremely shaky ground. I’ve just picked on this post as it’s the latest one presenting speculation as 100% fact.

If I was Montgomery and there’s even the slightest falsehood about all the fishwives gossip, I’m not sure I’d be letting it lie tbh.

PaulSmith
05-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Maybe it’s just me but large swathes of this thread seem on extremely shaky ground. I’ve just picked on this post as it’s the latest one presenting speculation as 100% fact.

If I was Montgomery and there’s even the slightest falsehood about all the fishwives gossip, I’m not sure I’d be letting it lie tbh.

So we’re allowed to speculate on every Tom, Dick and Harry in Scottish football but when it comes to someone who worked for Hibs we’ve got to be worried about litigation or whatever it is that you’re suggesting?

AugustaHibs
05-12-2020, 08:22 AM

What’s she gonna do like?

Beefster
05-12-2020, 08:23 AM
So we’re allowed to speculate on every Tom, Dick and Harry in Scottish football but when it comes to someone who worked for Hibs we’ve got to be worried about litigation or whatever it is that you’re suggesting?

Depends on what you’re speculating on, I suppose.

Keith_M
05-12-2020, 08:32 AM
I heard that she had a photo of Craig Levein in her office and once kicked a kitten.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 08:49 AM

She'd have to prove the claim is false. And she'd probably be taking about 30 folk to court. I think we'll be okay. It's not something to worry about. There has been more than a couple of suggestions that she wasn't 100% commited to Hibs.

Personally I have no real idea but at best it's a strange situation and I don't think there is too much wrong in the posts discussing it.

Peevemor
05-12-2020, 08:55 AM
She'd have to prove the claim is false. And she'd probably be taking about 30 folk to court. I think we'll be okay. It's not something to worry about. There has been more than a couple of suggestions that she wasn't 100% commited to Hibs.

Personally I have no real idea but at best it's a strange situation and I don't think there is too much wrong in the posts discussing it.Except people who don't know her and know basically nothing about what exactly she did at Hibs (like myself) will get the impression that she was basically a wage thief (worse even) who was 100% ineffective.

Maybe that doesn't bother some folk, but it doesn't sit well with me at all.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Except people who don't know her and know basically nothing about what exactly she did at Hibs (like myself) will get the impression that she was basically a wage thief (worse even) who was 100% ineffective.

It’s the modern way - spout off about something which you don’t have the full facts about and present it as truth.

BSEJVT
05-12-2020, 09:45 AM
What I would say is that I found the constant Glasgow City love in completely disrespectful to her then current employers and am happy she is no longer employed by the club.

I have no knowledge of whether she did or didn't do some of the things she has been accused of, and should therefore make no comment on those aspects.

What I do know though is that she failed to deliver shirt sponsorship 2 years in a row and that some of the deals she did get over the line IMO cheapened the club's commercial appeal for what I would expect were marginal gains.

Having spent 30 odd years in Sales it is a cut throat environment where you are only as good as your last figures.

IMO these were never acceptable from start to finish and she needed replaced, it is to the club's credit that they retained her as long as they did given her circumstances and have allowed her to paint her leaving in the manner she has, when they could easily have publicly dismissed her

We move on and I hope she is allowed to as well, she is a woman clearly broken by her personal circumstances and I wish her every success and happiness going forward, it won't be easy, I fear as like Hibs Ladies, I expect Glasgow City to be consigned to also ran status by the Old Firm, as long as they don't get bored with women's football soon.

I hope she doesn't take the fallow years which are certain to follow personally.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Except people who don't know her and know basically nothing about what exactly she did at Hibs (like myself) will get the impression that she was basically a wage thief (worse even) who was 100% ineffective.

I mean, even the facts we do know, like no main sponsor for 2 years, tell me she wasn't exactly doing a brilliant job.

superfurryhibby
05-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Tbf, the only person using those terms are you. If you didn’t know anything about her ( like me) and you read the thread then you will be better informed.

I now know she was a founder of Glasgow City. A law graduate with no sales background who was appointed to a senior position in the Hibs sales and marketing operation and who seemingly didn’t do a good job at it.

People are posting their views and experiences of someone who worked at Hibs. Good or bad, that’s always going to happen. Of course it leads to conjecture, like I’m seeing that Dempster and Montgomery going indicate a shift in the power dynamic at the club. Gordon wants the club run his way and marketed successfully. By all accounts Montgomery hasn’t done that. I trust someone with the requisite background will do a better job.

NAE NOOKIE
05-12-2020, 11:16 AM

I did say there was 'talk on here' which is hardly presenting it as a fact. I also said 'if there is any substance to that' a phrase which obviously implies an element of doubt.

But, there does seem to be reasonable grounds to at least speculate on how she carried out her job for Hibs and to express an opinion on the impact if she had indeed allowed her connections with Glasgow City to intrude on the job she was being paid to do. Someone had speculated on her qualifications for the job, so being a nosy bugger I had a look at her 'Linkdin' page. She is clearly highly experienced in business and, academically at least, highly intelligent.

Someone suggested jealousy at Glasgow City's success being a motivating factor for this thread. From my point of view I have nothing but admiration for their achievements as a club with no connections to any large professional team, they are a credit to the women's game and the folk who founded and run them, including Laura Montgomery. Unfortunately their glory days, just like Hibs Ladies, could well end up in the rear view mirror as the Bigot Brothers now appear to be getting serious about the women's game.

As for our right to speculate about employees of the club. We are not talking about somebody who works somewhere we go shopping, many of us are shareholders in the business being discussed here, many of us have paid hundreds of pounds up front for a product we knew we couldn't use through loyalty and sentiment, many of us give free money that business every month. Thousand's of us still pay to watch when the product on offer would turn you away from any normal business.

If anybody has a right to discuss a subject like this it's us, we expect the loyalty we show the club to be at least reciprocated by the people our money goes towards paying to work for it.

That's one of the reasons Colin Calderwood remains one of the most reviled managers Hibs have had, not simply because of his shaky record but because of the utter disrespect he showed it when his sole focus, at least in public, should have been on the job he was being paid to do.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Looks like a number of roles handed out, like an old pals act.

Glad she is away.

AugustaHibs
05-12-2020, 11:33 AM
I did say there was 'talk on here' which is hardly presenting it as a fact. I also said 'if there is any substance to that' a phrase which obviously implies an element of doubt.

But, there does seem to be reasonable grounds to at least speculate on how she carried out her job for Hibs and to express an opinion on the impact if she had indeed allowed her connections with Glasgow City to intrude on the job she was being paid to do. Someone had speculated on her qualifications for the job, so being a nosy bugger I had a look at her 'Linkdin' page. She is clearly highly experienced in business and, academically at least, highly intelligent.

Someone suggested jealousy at Glasgow City's success being a motivating factor for this thread. From my point of view I have nothing but admiration for their achievements as a club with no connections to any large professional team, they are a credit to the women's game and the folk who founded and run them, including Laura Montgomery. Unfortunately their glory days, just like Hibs Ladies, could well end up in the rear view mirror as the Bigot Brothers now appear to be getting serious about the women's game.

As for our right to speculate about employees of the club. We are not talking about somebody who works somewhere we go shopping, many of us are shareholders in the business being discussed here, many of us have paid hundreds of pounds up front for a product we knew we couldn't use through loyalty and sentiment, many of us give free money that business every month. Thousand's of us still pay to watch when the product on offer would turn you away from any normal business.

If anybody has a right to discuss a subject like this it's us, we expect the loyalty we show the club to be at least reciprocated by the people our money goes towards paying to work for it.

That's one of the reasons Colin Calderwood remains one of the most reviled managers Hibs have had, not simply because of his shaky record but because of the utter disrespect he showed it when his sole focus, at least in public, should have been on the job he was being paid to do.

Good post.

In regards to your last paragraph, what’s the story with Calderwood?

Since90+2
05-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Good post.

Bag of sweets.

NAE NOOKIE
05-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Good post.

Quite simply there was speculation around him going to another club as assistant manager while Hibs manager and instead of the correct and stock answer of 'I'm here to talk about Hibs' or I'm just concentrating on my job here' he made some crass reference to 'a bag of sweeties' basically tipping the wink that he wanted to leave. Leaving folk to wonder why he applied for the job in the first place when he saw his role as an assistant manager and why he thought it was a good idea to disrespect the club and it's fans by leaving nobody in any doubt that his heart wasn't in it.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Quite simply there was speculation around him going to another club as assistant manager while Hibs manager and instead of the correct and stock answer of 'I'm here to talk about Hibs' or I'm just concentrating on my job here' he made some crass reference to 'a bag of sweeties' basically tipping the wink that he wanted to leave. Leaving folk to wonder why he applied for the job in the first place when he saw his role as an assistant manager and why he thought it was a good idea to disrespect the club and it's fans by leaving nobody in any doubt that his heart wasn't in it.

I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2020, 01:08 PM
I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.

Don't understand, surely we never head hunted him?

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Don't understand, surely we never head hunted him?

I believe so. Might be wrong but I think we went after him.

Lago
05-12-2020, 01:15 PM
QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;6372739]I don't think Calderwood ever applied for the Hibs job.[/QUOTE]
He certainly didn't look in his proverbial sweety bag before accepting it.