PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye jam tarts (7-0 song)

Mr. Wonderful
01-12-2020, 09:39 AM
No, this isn't about an admin2.. Sorry to get your hopes up..

Anyone know the lyrics to this old ditty?

Heard it once on the way to hampden in 2007 and never have again.

Thanks in advance ggtth

Sprouleflyer
01-12-2020, 09:45 AM
This is the lyrics I know, there are some variations out there.

Jim O'rourke broke no sweat when he put the ball in the jamtarts net, bye bye jamtarts
Alan Gordon running through, hammered home number two, bye bye jamtarts
Bobby seith thought he was only dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number three in
The Hibees choir sang for more, Alex Cropley made it four, jamtarts bye bye
Arthur Duncan took a dive, headed home number five, bye bye jamtarts
Paddy Stanton showed his tricks, as Jim O'rourke made it six, bye bye jamtarts
The Hibs support were in their seventh heaven, when Alan Gordon headed number seven,
The Hibs support had their fill, the final score was seven nil, jamtarts bye bye

Mr. Wonderful
01-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Jim O'rourke broke no sweat when he put the ball in the jamtarts net, bye bye jamtarts
Bobby seith thought he was only dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number three in
The Hibs support were in their seventh heaven, when Alan Gordon headed number seven,
The Hibs support had their fill, the final score was seven nil, jamtarts bye bye

Hibs class thank you ggtth

jonny
01-12-2020, 10:27 AM

I remember my old man singing this one to me when I was wee.
Great memories.

Golden Bear
01-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Ah memories!

It was a privilege for me to witness that glorious gubbing at Tynie even although it was already 0-4 before I managed to get in.

:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2020, 11:18 AM
I also remember coming back from a defeat in the late 1960s early 70s in the Supporters Bus:

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

The Boys will see you through

The Boys will beat the Rangers and the Glasgow Celtic too

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

The Boys will see you right

The Boys who wear the colours

The colours green and white

Oh I don’t know why the Rangers say they have always hated green

For green’s the finest colour that I have ever seen

Like many songs around about that time might have been stolen from Celtic :greengrin

oldbutdim
01-12-2020, 11:23 AM
I also remember coming back from a defeat in the late 1960s early 70s in the Supporters Bus:

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Like many songs around about that time might have been stolen from Celtic :greengrin

It's not as if they haven't stolen anything from us though.
:cb

green.oracle
01-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Cheer up!

Billy that song finished as follows;

You can talk about your ralphie brand and your Jimmy Millar do

But we've got Paddy Stanton he's a Bobby dazzler too!!

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2020, 11:27 AM

GGTTH
:thumbsup:

Ringothedog
01-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Not that it matters but a couple of changes -

The Hibees fans thought they were all in heaven when Alan Gordon headed number seven, the jam tarts fans had had their fill the final score was 7-0 jamtarts bye bye

DIXIHIBS
01-12-2020, 12:19 PM

GGTTH
Always used to sing 'you can talk about your alfie conn'..but maybe that was just me lol.

brog
01-12-2020, 03:38 PM

As you say there were a few variations. The original 1st line I heard was , Erich Schaedler took a shy, Jim O'Rourke hit it in high & my favourite last line was, The Jam Tart fans were out the gate before the Hibees made it eight. I remember us singing it in The Windsor Buffet on Jan 2 1973!

calumhibee1
01-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Outstanding. Never heard that before.

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2020, 04:42 PM
The iconic song line for me was on 21st May 2016 when Hector Nicol belted out from the Hampden tannoy

“ I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag!”

As the tears ran down my face thinking of those long passed that did not live to see it

:cup:

G B Young
01-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Not that it matters but a couple of changes -

The Hibees fans thought they were all in heaven when Alan Gordon headed number seven, the jam tarts fans had had their fill the final score was 7-0 jamtarts bye bye

Hard to imagine there were any Hearts fans left in the ground by the time number seven went in! I'd imagine most left at half time.

gbhibby
01-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Some people sang, Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number seven

Mr. Wonderful
01-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Some people sang, Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number seven

I remembered this line from the version I heard the oldies on the bus singing that day it was very odd to hear this beautifully worded song amongst the other more common and colourfully worded tribal chants

Really was hibs class. I went to the rugby at Murray field a few years ago now and the fans there singing the flower of scotland just below a shout remembered me of it. Ggtth

Ringothedog
01-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Hard to imagine there were any Hearts fans left in the ground by the time number seven went in! I'd imagine most left at half time.

There were still quite a few left, probably that pished that they didn’t know the score. I was in the school end and as a 12 year old it was mental

Orourke73
01-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Slight variation to first goal.
New years day had just begun when Jim O'Rourke he made it one. Rest pretty much the same til last verse Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when alan gordon headed number seven. 🍾

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2020, 07:56 PM
I got there early but I remember my Auld Boy was standing outside the Gorgie Road end in huge queues waiting to get in as the goals started to fly in

Once it got to 2-0 Jambos were about turning as there was no segregation that day and Jambos that were inside were trying to get oot :greengrin

gbhibby
01-12-2020, 09:59 PM
Slight variation to first goal.
New years day had just begun when Jim O'Rourke he made it one. Rest pretty much the same til last verse Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when alan gordon headed number seven. 🍾
Heard that first line sung sometimes as well. Remember that day and Hearts fans complaining that they wouldn't open the gates at half time to let them out.

Iggy Pope
01-12-2020, 10:26 PM

That’s the penultimate line I recognise.

Sung solo and masterfully by one Jimmy Egan esq (never seen him since) to a responsive “Hibernian Bar” after the friendly in Cork. Followed by the Sauzee “That’s Amore” number. Those are the tunes!

Bushwoof
02-12-2020, 03:22 PM
Heard that sung in Milnes the evening of the Rob Jones League Cup win, with a solitary Jambo sat on a stool in the middle the floor surrounded by joyous Hibees.

Whenever the singing died off a bit the jambo would pipe up with h-e-a-r-t-s, which got us all going again, fair play to him.

One of my favourite ever Hibs memories.

brog
02-12-2020, 04:59 PM
There were still quite a few left, probably that pished that they didn’t know the score. I was in the school end and as a 12 year old it was mental

Yes, it was strange, a few were still there. We left the ground heading to a pal's house in Polwarth singing Hibs songs on the way. We came upon an older, well dressed Hearts fan sitting by the side of the road. Boys, he said, can you please confirm I'm drunk & I didn't really see my team lose 7 0 today. When we confirmed the score he said in a very gentlemanly manner, would you be so kind as to direct me to the canal. Instead we gave him a couple of nips & saw him on his way home. Still makes me smile nearly 50 years later.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Yes, it was strange, a few were still there. We left the ground heading to a pal's house in Polwarth singing Hibs songs on the way. We came upon an older, well dressed Hearts fan sitting by the side of the road. Boys, he said, can you please confirm I'm drunk & I didn't really see my team lose 7 0 today. When we confirmed the score he said in a very gentlemanly manner, would you be so kind as to direct me to the canal. Instead we gave him a couple of nips & saw him on his way home. Still makes me smile nearly 50 years later.
:top marks

Remember at the game there was a guy wearing an overcoat and a big HIBS Dr Who green and white bar scarf he was ringing a bell that would attract friends and family members who would approach him wish him a guid New Year and receive a nip from a gallon of whisky he had up his jooks

Different times

greenlad
02-12-2020, 05:34 PM

GGTTH

Rather unusually too (for a Hibs song) that end part was sung to the tune of the Sash. Was still sung regularly when I started going on a supporters bus in the mid 1990s. Can't remember it being sung in the ground.

Few other old ones from then I've not heard in years

"If I had the Wings of an Eagle"
"Hibernian, Hibernian rah rah rah"
"The Hibs are coming over there"
"As I was walking down the Copeland Road..I met a total stranger"

brog
02-12-2020, 06:49 PM
My fav was the legendary Wattie Robb's tribute to the Famous 5. Sung to the tune of Galway Bay the 1st verse was;

I'll go back again to dear old Glasgow,
Even though I have to walk it all the way,
Just again to see the Hibs defeat the Rangers
And to show the Glasgow people how to play.

There were probably 5 verses.

DIXIHIBS
02-12-2020, 07:04 PM
My fav was the legendary Wattie Robb's tribute to the Famous 5. Sung to the tune of Galway Bay the 1st verse was;

There were probably 5 verses.
Ive heard wattie sing that....i think there is about 10 verses!! All the words are on the wall in the hibs club.

andudare2
02-12-2020, 08:04 PM

There were probably 5 verses.Heard my Da singing it a few times think there was also Gordon Smith song he enjoyed singing as well 😁

Hiber-nation
02-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Rather unusually too (for a Hibs song) that end part was sung to the tune of the Sash. Was still sung regularly when I started going on a supporters bus in the mid 1990s. Can't remember it being sung in the ground.

Few other old ones from then I've not heard in years

"If I had the Wings of an Eagle"
"Hibernian, Hibernian rah rah rah"
"The Hibs are coming over there"
"As I was walking down the Copeland Road..I met a total stranger"

It's a long way from Easter Road is another not heard for a while.

brog
02-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Ive heard wattie sing that....i think there is about 10 verses!! All the words are on the wall in the hibs club.

Thanks! I got words from Wattie many years ago & IIRC we included them in a London Hibs fanzine. Good to know his memory marches on!