PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ross Report Card - 1 Year in

Pages : [1] 2

basehibby
27-11-2020, 12:13 AM
I haven't noticed any other threads on this but Jack Ross passed his 1st anniversary as Hibs Manager on 15th November - congratulations Jack! So seems like a good time to look back and take stock.

His league record last season was an encouraging 7-4-7 (WDL) - taking a side flirting with the relegation spots into a comfortable mid-table position. He's built on that this season making us harder to beat it seems with 7-5-3 the record so far.

In Cup competitions despite the recent misery of losing to Hearts at Hamden (FFS!) in the cold light of day his record is decent so far - having got us through to Hamdump for the semi in the first place and cruised out of the LC Groups so far.

On the transfer front the signs are positive with Nisbet, Murphy, McGinn and Gogic in particular having slotted into their roles to make us a stronger side and hopes high that Magennis might have a similar impact.

In terms of style and tactics opinions seem a bit split among the fans right now but for me we are definitely playing a more attractive and winning brand of football than when Ross took up the reins a year ago.

On the whole I would give him a B+ so far - would have been a solid A but for some disappointing results against the Yams and the sheep.

Steve20
27-11-2020, 06:06 AM
I haven't noticed any other threads on this but Jack Ross passed his 1st anniversary as Hibs Manager on 15th November - congratulations Jack! So seems like a good time to look back and take stock.

His league record last season was an encouraging 7-4-7 (WDL) - taking a side flirting with the relegation spots into a comfortable mid-table position. He's built on that this season making us harder to beat it seems with 7-5-3 the record so far.

In Cup competitions despite the recent misery of losing to Hearts at Hamden (FFS!) in the cold light of day his record is decent so far - having got us through to Hamdump for the semi in the first place and cruised out of the LC Groups so far.

On the transfer front the signs are positive with Nisbet, Murphy, McGinn and Gogic in particular having slotted into their roles to make us a stronger side and hopes high that Magennis might have a similar impact.

In terms of style and tactics opinions seem a bit split among the fans right now but for me we are definitely playing a more attractive and winning brand of football than when Ross took up the reins a year ago.

On the whole I would give him a B+ so far - would have been a solid A but for some disappointing results against the Yams and the sheep.

We really need to get that sort of mentality pushed aside. Losing as many games as winning is not encouraging. We're meant to be one of the biggest clubs in the country. We should be winning the majority of our games.

Gatecrasher
27-11-2020, 07:13 AM
We really need to get that sort of mentality pushed aside. Losing as many games as winning is not encouraging. We're meant to be one of the biggest clubs in the country. We should be winning the majority of our games.

compared to the start of the season we had it is.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2020, 07:23 AM
compared to the start of the season we had it is.

Dunno about that. We lost to ross county, hearts and livi in that run. Dreadful defeats.

Kaff
27-11-2020, 07:35 AM

Good summary.
I'm 100% in support of Jack but also want to avoid the Derek MacInnes route of success where he just puts together a team of spoilers with the odd flair player chucked in.
Having the players is important but also need to come up with a fluid style of exciting football. It came easily to Mowbray, Collins and Stubbs no matter if they were classed as their own squad or what they inherited, Jack's issue so far for me is the stifled form of Scott Allan and Martin Boyle, he doesn't seem able to get things moving dynamically and make the most of talent at his disposal.

All said though, we're sitting in 4th having played well in patches and from where Heckingbottom had us then that's great improvement and much better to develop a better style from this position of strength, he has said it himself but next 4 games are very important for this season and losing 4th spot from where we were would be a major failing.
Hopefully here for a good while and we can build on a solid start.

Key West
27-11-2020, 07:43 AM
A very good start from Jack Ross, he’s still trying to find the balance between producing a team which is entertaining and pretty solid defensively, from a statistical point of view being 4th and having a bit of daylight between us and our rivals as well as being on the coat tails of Aberdeen is encouraging.

I hope he recruits a centre back in January to supplement Porteous and Hanlon where we are very thin on the ground.

I think he will be boosted by players returning to the form they are capable of.

I would rather be in our position with some of our failings and weaknesses than the rest of the teams who sit currently lower in the table or be in the championship.

Lancs Harp
27-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Odd as it may seem after a year Im still making my mind up about Jack. A 7-5-3 record is no less than I would expect, we do seem harder to beat but we do lack a bit of flair creativity and dynamism, We are work in progress but then when are we not? We have solved some issues for instance the forward line looking a little more cohesive and the post 2016 issue of replacing our aging fullbacks/wingbacks but we are still struggling to find the balance and answers in midfield.

A steady averageish C+ from me.

Gatecrasher
27-11-2020, 07:56 AM
Dunno about that. We lost to ross county, hearts and livi in that run. Dreadful defeats.

We were relegation fodder before he took over.

Northernhibee
27-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Also Livi were excellent last season.

The Modfather
27-11-2020, 08:35 AM

In isolation, yes. However that stat is in the context of what he inherited and the fact we weren’t far off being pulled into the relegation battle when he arrived.

I think he has done a good job so far, but with much room from improvement. I just hope he isn’t stuck on playing two in the middle of the park (at least until he signs two players capable of those specific roles) as that’s what did it for Mixu and his insistence on a diamond IMO. He’s built a platform to kick on, but kicking on is possibly harder than the good work he’s done so far.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2020, 08:38 AM
I think that our expectations have also gone up since he came in and that's fair IMO given the way that he has been backed within the context of tyhe league and our competitors. The leagcy that he has from the Sunderland days, is too many draws and not making the big games count. He will know that is an easy comparison to point to.

hibsbollah
27-11-2020, 08:42 AM
7.5/10.
B+.

A solid, acceptable start.

jeffers
27-11-2020, 08:42 AM
Not convinced by him and not enjoying watching his team play. Certainly not suggesting we get rid of him, but I don’t think he’s a great manager or one we will worry about being poached by a bigger club.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2020, 08:43 AM
I'd probably grade him around a B. Steady progress whilst not really being spectacular.

He has us on course for a 4th place finish. If he does better than that by a place then he's arguably overachieved, worse and he's underachieved.

Greenbeard
27-11-2020, 08:46 AM
A very good start from Jack Ross, he’s still trying to find the balance between producing a team which is entertaining and pretty solid defensively, from a statistical point of view being 4th and having a bit of daylight between us and our rivals as well as being on the coat tails of Aberdeen is encouraging.

I hope he recruits a centre back in January to supplement Porteous and Hanlon where we are very thin on the ground.

I think he will be boosted by players returning to the form they are capable of.

I would rather be in our position with some of our failings and weaknesses than the rest of the teams who sit currently lower in the table or be in the championship.
Don't disagree but when SPM was signed he was touted as cover for central defence was he not? If we see him there while Hanlon is out (latest?) and he does ok then I'd rather we were looking for an young adventurous right back before another central defender.

Up The Bracket
27-11-2020, 08:49 AM
C for me, last season he got us out a relegation battle but ultimately failed by finishing in the bottom 6.

This season we are where we should be but the football is brutal to watch at times, derby results being a major blot on his copybook, hopefully it improves but I’m not totally convinced that it will.

4th place isn’t to be sniffed at but I really haven’t enjoyed watching my team very often under his stewardship.

The Spaceman
27-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Solid B+ from me.

He has undoubtedly improved us and I like that he is moving us away from a "quick turnover" model into a longer-term "prospects" model so that we can build a stable and consistent team. He comes across well, is very likeable and has an excellent knowledge/experience base from both the Scottish and English league systems.

Two wins from the recent games against Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen would have had him sitting on an A-. Fine margins in this game.

No doubt in my mind though that he is the man to take us forward as a long-term project. Aberdeen have had a colossal period over the past 10 years to build a tough old team to shift, it will not just happen over night for us. People need to accept that. 4th this season is a good result.

hibsbollah
27-11-2020, 08:53 AM
Solid B+ from me.

He has undoubtedly improved us and I like that he is moving us away from a "quick turnover" model into a longer-term "prospects" model so that we can build a stable and consistent team. He comes across well, is very likeable and has an excellent knowledge/experience base from both the Scottish and English league systems.

Two wins from the recent games against Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen would have had him sitting on an A-. Fine margins in this game.

No doubt in my mind though that he is the man to take us forward as a long-term project. Aberdeen have had a colossal period over the past 10 years to build a tough old team to shift, it will not just happen over night for us. People need to accept that. 4th this season is a good result.

I always thought A- and B+ were the same thing :greengrin

calumhibee1
27-11-2020, 08:58 AM
I'd probably grade him around a B. Steady progress whilst not really being spectacular.

He has us on course for a 4th place finish. If he does better than that by a place then he's arguably overachieved, worse and he's underachieved.

:agree:

Pretty much how I see it.

Solid but unspectacular and doing enough. He’s close to doing a very good job - a win in the semi final would probably have nudged him up to a B+ and probably into the very good job bracket for me - but he’s also close to underachieving with recent results, especially the semi final, dragging him down towards that.

Hopefully we can put a run together over the next month or two. In a league where we are by a mile the fourth biggest spenders and we’ve also managed to splash a bit of cash whilst everyone else is toiling then 4th is the absolute minimum we should be expecting.

Sammy7nil
27-11-2020, 09:04 AM

Agree with this, fourth is good however it should be the minimum we expect in a league without Hearts where clubs are struggling financially. Anything less would be a major disappointment.

I like Jack talking and he seems a good guy I hope he goes on to achieve great things here but he has a way to go yet.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2020, 09:12 AM

I don't think we were ever really in any danger of going down. Team was far too good.

Jones28
27-11-2020, 09:12 AM
6.5/10 for me. Some poor results, some excellent results and definitely more good than bad, including the lesser spotted wins against Aberdeen and at Tynecastle. For some losing to Hearts is unforgivable but I the sem final was unfortunate. The loss in the league last season is more disappointing but his record against the old firm this season is more than acceptable.

Recruitment has been good, especially given the circumstances. Would like to see more from the recruitment department in January and I think he will want to move some on and bring one or two in. I can see Hallberg, Mallan, S McGinn and maybe McGregor and SDG moving off the books, with jobs for the latter 2 when circumstances allow.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2020, 09:14 AM
Solid, unspectacular.

Fourth place would be an improvement so couldn’t argue. It’s also minimum requirement this year. Do something in one of the cups to make up for that semi final.

Scottie
27-11-2020, 09:29 AM
'Could do better' like my old report cards used to say.

We are exactly where I expect us to be in the league with the finances JR has been given. Too many draws and bad results in the big games. Unfortunately I don't see JR as the man to take us to the next level, I hope I'm wrong but only time will tell.

Keith_M
27-11-2020, 09:35 AM

Last season under Heckingbottom, our league record was W1-D6-L4... Under Ross, it was W7-D4-L7.

It's not exactly great but I think the point was that at least it was an improvement, and with basically the same players.

We then started this season with W6-D3-L2, from our first round of games. giving us 21 points. That's the highest amount we've achieved since the premier league was switched to it's current format of 38 games with the top/bottom six split (even more than Lennon achieved in our first year after promotion).

So yes, we're getting there.

Leitherhibs
27-11-2020, 09:43 AM
I don't think we were ever really in any danger of going down. Team was far too good.

Lol. Many, many Hearts fans said the same last season. We would've been relegated under PH IMO.

J-C
27-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Improved Heccky's team but tbh that wasn't hard.

Decent start this season with performances a bit all over the place, I wish he'd pick a formation and stick to it, this 442 352 451 433 every game. I'll give him a C.

H18S NX
27-11-2020, 09:54 AM

On the whole I would give him a B+ so far - would have been a solid A but for some disappointing results against the Yams and the sheep....Cannot agree with that m8,I'd give him "C".

wookie70
27-11-2020, 09:56 AM
B- for me. He is doing the job he needs to be doing but it is fairly uninspiring stuff and we are failing in games we shouldn't, particularly that semi final. We definitely got the bounce when he arrived but to me the biggest impact was Boyle's return and Doidge starting to hit a barn door. Both those things may have happened without a change of manager. Signings are promising which is a plus but we don't have a style of play and are very inconsistent in performance. No doubt he is getting pass marks and I think the team isn't far away from clicking but we do need a fit Magennis or a signing or two

Keith_M
27-11-2020, 09:57 AM
To put the A, B and C into context, what's the available marks?

e.g. is it A-E? Or A-Z?

:dunno:

basehibby
27-11-2020, 10:07 AM

Can you not read? My post clearly makes reference to the reality that Ross took over a team that was flirting with relegation. In that context, the 7-4-7 league record was 100% encouraging IMO. Not brilliant, not amazing, not wonderful but definitely ENCOURAGING - ie moving in the right direction.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Lol. Many, many Hearts fans said the same last season. We would've been relegated under PH IMO.

I doubt it but it was never going to happen anyway. Hecky was never going to finish the season.

Hearts didn't have quality like Marciano, Allan, Doidge. They had no creativity, no decent keeper, no decent centre backs and no goalscorers. Our squad was much better than theirs. Their best players were injured all season or in positions that didn't make THAT much of a difference (they had decent fullbacks for example).

Hecky wasn't good but not everything was bad under him. We were generally decent at taking leads in games. Pretty much every game we were scoring first. We weren't doing everything wrong. The signs were there that some small changes, a bit of luck etc and we would start winning.

ScottB
27-11-2020, 10:15 AM
I think he’s done alright, pretty middle of the road. We don’t look in any sort of danger under him, but nor does it feel like we’re going to kick on and genuinely be in the mix for 3rd (or even 2nd if Celtic implode) or win Cups.

My main concern is our lack of performance in the big games. His record against the ‘lesser’ clubs is very good, his record against the Old Firm, Aberdeen and especially Hearts is very poor. That Hampden semi sums it up really, we didn’t turn up for a big game. That’s something Jack really needs to work on.

So for now, a C. I suspect we’ll finish 4th this season which is pretty much the minimum in terms of budget spent we should be getting as a return. Any lower and I think it would be fair to start asking questions.

Magpie
27-11-2020, 10:35 AM
B-

The manner of the defeats to Hearts was unacceptable.

basehibby
27-11-2020, 10:42 AM

I reckon you could have said exactly the same for the Yams - but they made the wrong managerial appointment and look what happened.

basehibby
27-11-2020, 10:47 AM
To put the A, B and C into context, what's the available marks?

e.g. is it A-E? Or A-Z?

:dunno:

As the OP I was thinking of the old skool A-E lols

basehibby
27-11-2020, 10:50 AM
...Cannot agree with that m8,I'd give him "C".

Fair dos - it's a thread that invites opinions - but I reckon if Ross had managed to reverse that one result at Hamden he'd be skooshing an A from the vast majority on here. Fine margins and all that.

basehibby
27-11-2020, 10:56 AM
B-

The manner of the defeats to Hearts was unacceptable.

:agree: Painful and definitely in the must do better category. Unlikely he'll get another chance this season though (and fingers crossed next as well lols).

NB - we should remember that he has managed a victory at Tynie. Our record against them is terrible though and one mark of a successful Hibs manager should be improving that record.

CMurdoch
27-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Improved Heccky's team but tbh that wasn't hard.

Decent start this season with performances a bit all over the place, I wish he'd pick a formation and stick to it, this 442 352 451 433 every game. I'll give him a C.

Played Doidge in a 2 up front and Newell in his correct position and it was sorted last season.
Not perfect but a functioning stop gap till summer.

Then covid arrived and Ron Gordon rightly put us into a holding budget strategy.
Still 4th biggest budget but I suspect a mile off Aberdeen for this season only.
Ross small squad budget further hampered by the playing contracts of McGregor and SDG.

It will be easier to judge Ross next season and I am sure we will continue to improve if he can retain Marciano & Newell and switch out a few for well chosen new recruits. McGregor, SDG, Stevenson (if Mackie & Doig are considered good enough to cover left back), James & S McGinn could be moved on with little detriment to the team.

Diclonius
27-11-2020, 10:59 AM
League performance: Pretty good
Cup performance: Ok
Games against the OF/Aberdeen: Not great
Games against Hearts: No

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2020, 10:59 AM
Not convinced

B

Keith_M
27-11-2020, 11:04 AM
As the OP I was thinking of the old skool A-E lols

Cheers.

So a 'C', as given by a number of people, means bang average.

TBH, I would have thought he was above average, given we're fourth in the league, but I think a lot of people's viewpoint is (understandably) coloured by the last two games against Hearts.

JimBHibees
27-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Think he has been very good. Steadily building a better team and by and large winning the games he should do two or three games aside. The derbies are big and to that end he has imo been very unlucky not to have beaten both Hearts (stick on pen in injury time) and Celtic horror show goal at the end of the game both from things very much out of his control. Think he has also won the most points outside the OF since here which is an excellent achievement.

B+

lord bunberry
27-11-2020, 01:21 PM
He seems to constantly sit on the verge of being really good and then we have a few bad results and he falls back into the doing ok category. He probably needs a couple of big wins to convince us that he can take us to the next level.

calumhibee1
27-11-2020, 01:23 PM
He seems to constantly sit on the verge of being really good and then we have a few bad results and he falls back into the doing ok category. He probably needs a couple of big wins to convince us that he can take us to the next level.

Absolutely. Just as we seem to be getting ahead of steam we then have an absolute stinker of a result and it seems to set us back a bit.

Northernhibee
27-11-2020, 01:56 PM
I think if we didn’t have such an enforced period of being cautious with the cash we’d have had a more complete transfer window. The only signing that I’d say might not work out is Drey Wright who on paper looked a good signing, but he’s been very adept at spotting a chasm in the team and finding the right player to fill it - Gogic, Paul McGinn, Kevin Nisbet.

Results have been decent - the times we’ve had a bad time have unfortunately come at a time to allow a narrative of “Jack Ross can’t do big games” to form when actually games against the likes of Rangers have seen us do well. The footballs been decent but nothing to write home about on the eye but again this isn’t helped with injuries to Allan and Macgennis.

In a word Id describe him as pragmatic. A B from me.

Bobby's Cinema
27-11-2020, 02:22 PM
I honestly don't know what people expect at times.

In difficult uncertain times we are a solid 4th place in the league.
My view is that we are making a good fist of trying to emulate what Aberdeen have done. By beating the teams below us and there are also similarities in our recent transfer policy.

Give the manager a chance to build something here. In my lifetime we have never had a Hibs team consistently finishing in European places year after year.
Even the best Hibs teams I have seen.

I back the manager fully to aim to be the first to achieve just that. IMO I am seeing a few bad parallels in the support for me from when Yogi had us right up there - and this is before Ross has even had any kind of slump. Negativity needs dialled right down.

calumhibee1
27-11-2020, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't know what people expect at times.

In difficult uncertain times we are a solid 4th place in the league.
My view is that we are making a good fist of trying to emulate what Aberdeen have done. By beating the teams below us and there are also similarities in our recent transfer policy.

Give the manager a chance to build something here. In my lifetime we have never had a Hibs team consistently finishing in European places year after year.
Even the best Hibs teams I have seen.

I back the manager fully to aim to be the first to achieve just that. IMO I am seeing a few bad parallels in the support for me from when Yogi had us right up there - and this is before Ross has even had any kind of slump. Negativity needs dialled right down.

In these difficult and uncertain times we have been able to spend considerable sums of money on players while others are struggling to make ends meet. Difficult and uncertain times cannot be used as an excuse this season. If anything they should be used to demand we finish well clear in 4th.

Unseen work
27-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Really happy with his appointment and how we’ve been since he came in.

I like his signings and the type of player he goes for - knows the Scottish leagues well etc.

Its too easy saying “4th is where he should be” - Well for the past 20 years we’ve hardly done it and he has us on track for doing it.

We’re 1 point behind Aberdeen who have a game in hand, potentially stretching the lead to 4 points. Considering we lost our 2 games to them it shows how well we’ve done this season.

Aberdeen have got lots of plaudits this year yet in the 2 games we’ve played them we’ve conceded awful goals.

1 - Boyle clumsy pen
2 - Murphy losing possession edge of own box
3 - Porteous thinking he’s Sauzee

Take the 2 games against them out of it and we would be higher than them with a better points tally.

We’ve got good at beating the teams below us, it’s about doing that consistently, building on it and trying to get points against your Aberdeen’s, Rangers and Celtic’s (We’ve drawn against both the old firm already this season).

I keep hearing we’re bad in ‘big games’. Is Rangers and Celtic a big game for us? I mean for the fans it absolutely is, however Dundee United is probably a bigger game as they’re behind us and it’s a “6 pointer”. At the end of the day every game is 3 points at stake, some fans just view them differently.

Im unsure how many have played football in Scotland at any level that’s on this forum, however in my experience you have 1 or 2 that beat the majority and win all the leagues and trophies, 1 or 2 that lose most weeks and other than that there’s not too much of a difference.

I think that’s the case with the SPFL and people can’t underestimate how difficult it is against the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United etc. Every game is an absolute battle and you need to earn the right to play, if you can’t find a way to play beautiful football then find a way to win the game which is the most important thing.

Very few teams in Scotland play amazing football and win most weeks - it’s a huge demand. If players are winning most weeks and rarely losing then you best believe the confidence is building and they won’t care how they get the job done.

As the famous quote goes “Strikers win games, defenders win leagues”.

Now im not saying we’ll win the league, however it shows how important and impressive the first 7 games was for us defensively, as a team and where we are in the table. Let’s get back being hard to score against and it will stand us in good stead going forward.

Ross has my complete backing and I’m sure he’ll make further good signings in January.

Lets not forget, this season Boyle had been non existent, Doidge quiet and Allan unwell. Once those 3 get firing along with Murphy, Nisbet and Magennis we’ll be flying.

Mon the Hibees :flag:

Jim44
27-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Really happy with his appointment and how we’ve been since he came in.

I like his signings and the type of player he goes for - knows the Scottish leagues well etc.

Its too easy saying “4th is where he should be” - Well for the past 20 years we’ve hardly done it and he has us on track for doing it.

We’re 1 point behind Aberdeen who have a game in hand, potentially stretching the lead to 4 points. Considering we lost our 2 games to them it shows how well we’ve done this season.

Aberdeen have got lots of plaudits this year yet in the 2 games we’ve played them we’ve conceded awful goals.

1 - Boyle clumsy pen
2 - Murphy losing possession edge of own box
3 - Porteous thinking he’s Sauzee

Take the 2 games against them out of it and we would be higher than them with a better points tally.

We’ve got good at beating the teams below us, it’s about doing that consistently, building on it and trying to get points against your Aberdeen’s, Rangers and Celtic’s (We’ve drawn against both the old firm already this season).

I keep hearing we’re bad in ‘big games’. Is Rangers and Celtic a big game for us? I mean for the fans it absolutely is, however Dundee United is probably a bigger game as they’re behind us and it’s a “6 pointer”. At the end of the day every game is 3 points at stake, some fans just view them differently.

Im unsure how many have played football in Scotland at any level that’s on this forum, however in my experience you have 1 or 2 that beat the majority and win all the leagues and trophies, 1 or 2 that lose most weeks and other than that there’s not too much of a difference.

I think that’s the case with the SPFL and people can’t underestimate how difficult it is against the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United etc. Every game is an absolute battle and you need to earn the right to play, if you can’t find a way to play beautiful football then find a way to win the game which is the most important thing.

Very few teams in Scotland play amazing football and win most weeks - it’s a huge demand. If players are winning most weeks and rarely losing then you best believe the confidence is building and they won’t care how they get the job done.

As the famous quote goes “Strikers win games, defenders win leagues”.

Now im not saying we’ll win the league, however it shows how important and impressive the first 7 games was for us defensively, as a team and where we are in the table. Let’s get back being hard to score against and it will stand us in good stead going forward.

Ross has my complete backing and I’m sure he’ll make further good signings in January.

Lets not forget, this season Boyle had been non existent, Doidge quiet and Allan unwell. Once those 3 get firing along with Murphy, Nisbet and Magennis we’ll be flying.

Mon the Hibees :flag:

Excellent post. My thoughts exactly.l:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Hibs are the 4th / 5th take you're pick, biggest club in Scotland. In view of that this is what I expect from a Hibs manager:

To win regularly at home against anybody outside of Celtc and The Rangers.

To win at least 50% of our away games outside of Glasgow and Aberdeen and draw more than we lose of the other 50% including against Aberdeen.

To win at least 3 of every 10 games we play against the uglies, I don't think that's unreasonable.

To make the semi final of at least one cup competition every season.

To make a European qualifying spot at least once every 3 seasons as a minimum.

Because JR hasn't actually had a full season it's hard to judge him just now, He made a semi final last season, so that's a box ticked and we have negotiated our LC group without any dramas, box ticked.

Our away league record is very good with our only two negative results being at two of the hardest venues in the league, where better Hibs managers with better teams than Jack Ross has have historically struggled.

Our home record isn't so impressive with a loss to Aberdeen ( an unlucky one to be fair ) and two disappointing draws against Motherwell and St Johnstone .... but most seasons draws with Celtic and Sevco even at home wouldn't be sniffed at, so that's a plus for him.

But ..... The same old same old of a defeat to Hearts doesn't help him, especially in a semi final, and the feeling that our early season's results weren't quite a reflection of how we were actually playing at the time now returning, except that this time that feeling isn't being negated by positive results. You get the feeling that things are on the cusp just now, we could either improve and start winning again, or we could continue on this apparent slump and the results wont get better, at the moment the latter looks the more likely I'm sorry to say.... though I expect us to win tomorrow.

Anyway ... blah, blah, blah ...... the next 10 games will give us a better idea, if we have more in the negative column than the positive one the fans will get restless as they say.

basehibby
02-12-2020, 06:23 PM
Hibs are the 4th / 5th take you're pick, biggest club in Scotland. In view of that this is what I expect from a Hibs manager:

To win regularly at home against anybody outside of Celtc and The Rangers.

To win at least 50% of our away games outside of Glasgow and Aberdeen and draw more than we lose of the other 50% including against Aberdeen.

To win at least 3 of every 10 games we play against the uglies, I don't think that's unreasonable.

To make the semi final of at least one cup competition every season.

To make a European qualifying spot at least once every 3 seasons as a minimum.

Because JR hasn't actually had a full season it's hard to judge him just now, He made a semi final last season, so that's a box ticked and we have negotiated our LC group without any dramas, box ticked.

Our away league record is very good with our only two negative results being at two of the hardest venues in the league, where better Hibs managers with better teams than Jack Ross has have historically struggled.

Our home record isn't so impressive with a loss to Aberdeen ( an unlucky one to be fair ) and two disappointing draws against Motherwell and St Johnstone .... but most seasons draws with Celtic and Sevco even at home wouldn't be sniffed at, so that's a plus for him.

But ..... The same old same old of a defeat to Hearts doesn't help him, especially in a semi final, and the feeling that our early season's results weren't quite a reflection of how we were actually playing at the time now returning, except that this time that feeling isn't being negated by positive results. You get the feeling that things are on the cusp just now, we could either improve and start winning again, or we could continue on this apparent slump and the results wont get better, at the moment the latter looks the more likely I'm sorry to say.... though I expect us to win tomorrow.

Anyway ... blah, blah, blah ...... the next 10 games will give us a better idea, if we have more in the negative column than the positive one the fans will get restless as they say.

I'd love to see your expectations delivered upon - it's basically league championship form - bring it on :cb

Bronson
02-12-2020, 08:04 PM
He’s improved on what he inherited and has us where we expect to be, so on that basis he gets pass marks.

Football is boring 80% of the time which i can tolerate if we’re getting results but not so much when we’re not. I want to win but i do want to be entertained too. As mentioned previously the defeats to hearts weren’t good enough.

Recruitment has been a mixed bag.

6/10

matty_f
02-12-2020, 08:58 PM
I think a B is a fair reflection on what he's done so far - some good, some bad and some inbetween. The semi final was a big black mark against him, that was one we really had to win.

I like the squad he's building - the approach of signing emerging talent (Magennis and Nisbet) is definitely a route I'd like to see us continue on, and I like that he's not afraid to play youth players, even if that's borne out of necessity as much as anything else, we've seen other managers play an older player out of position in similar circumstances, so it's good to see him taking the development of our youth players seriously.

I really like him in general and I have high hopes for him if he gets the time to build at Hibs.

eastmainsmsh
02-12-2020, 09:15 PM
Straight swap for Lennon 😂🚕

Greenio
03-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Not convinced by him and not enjoying watching his team play. Certainly not suggesting we get rid of him, but I don’t think he’s a great manager or one we will worry about being poached by a bigger club.

Who do you think we're great Hibs managers?

Genuine q.

Onion
03-12-2020, 05:20 AM
Really good start to JR's tenure. He carried that progress on to the start of the new season making us hard to beat and scoring goals. But his results / performances in bigger games has been disappointing and signs of fragility have crept in recent games.

Saint Hibee
03-12-2020, 06:53 AM
It’s a meh from me. We’re harder to beat (unless you’re Hearts) but rather uninspiring to watch. C.

green day
03-12-2020, 06:57 AM
Jack Ross has been poor. Bang average manager who has us where we should be at minimum and that's with no Hearts in the league too as we'd have dropped more points to them. Jack Ross record in big games is a big concern and he has already lost the biggest game of the season. Talk of him going to Celtic is laughable.

So is he poor or average?

JimBHibees
03-12-2020, 06:59 AM
Jack Ross has been poor. Bang average manager who has us where we should be at minimum and that's with no Hearts in the league too as we'd have dropped more points to them. Jack Ross record in big games is a big concern and he has already lost the biggest game of the season. Talk of him going to Celtic is laughable.

Poor is 7th or 8th in the league not 4th near 3rd.

GRA
03-12-2020, 07:15 AM
It's a B for me.

Taking a team bereft of confidence and in danger of slipping down to the relegation spots to comfortable mid-table obscurity suited us fine given the start last season. Cup semi was also a bonus but should have been a final given the draw placed us against sub-SPL ranked teams so losing to Hearts was obviously a blow.

This season has been a case of largely beating the teams we should be beating and largely struggling against our benchmark of where we would wish to be (OF/Aberdeen). That said, we are the only team this season to take points off both the OF. Some of the performances haven't been great but its a results driven business at the end of the day.

As a previous poster said, its progress. Though anything less than 4th this season will be a disappointment in my eyes (unless we win a cup!). The next step would be challenging for that 3rd spot and getting to at least one cup final. Depending on the draw for the LC, the latter is a real possibility this season.

:flag:

Northernhibee
03-12-2020, 07:29 AM

There's differences of opinions and all that but considering how he's balanced the team and has us on course for equalling our best finish in years, to call him "poor" is absolute bollocks.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2020, 07:38 AM
Not really sure how anyone could describe a manager who has us in a European spot poor?

Although i shouldn't be surprised? :faf:

bingo70
03-12-2020, 08:08 AM
So is he poor or average?

Think he’s saying he’s a bang average manager doing a poor job so far.

Fwiw I’d give him a C if we’re still going with the report card theme.

When he was appointed I thought it was a bit of a boring, safe appointment that would definitely steer us clear of relegation trouble, make us a top 6 team but wouldn’t be brilliant.

When you saw what happened with Stendel at Hearts, a boring, safe appointment all of a sudden looked like a wise move.

Overall I think he’s doing alright, my expectations going forward are pretty low. I don’t think we’ll ever be able to out Aberdeen Aberdeen so fourth is the best we’ll achieve this season which is fine. I suspect Hearts will come back stronger next season and the league will become a bit harder and I wouldn’t fancy us to be top 4 again.

I’d be quite happy if another club came in for him.

worcesterhibby
03-12-2020, 08:26 AM
money isn't everything and if it was as simple as being the 4th biggest spenders = 4th place, football across all leagues and countries would be pretty boring and pointless. Every team has injuries, inherited squad members, losses of form and 1000 and one other issues that mean it's not a simple case of money = position. Years and years of much higher income eventually lead to dominance, but Hibs extra spending over our competitors for 4th place is nothing like the gap that Celtic/Rangers have over us.

Jack Ross has done a pretty good job so far. If Kevin Nisbet scores that penalty in the Semi...or if the Ref gives the penalty for the push on Squirrel then we win the semi and many people's perception of Jack Ross's first year is very different. It's fine margins. I like JR, I think he is very capable and makes more good decisions than bad ones. If we keep him for and three of four years I think it will pay real dividends.

Sioux
03-12-2020, 08:57 AM
money isn't everything and if it was as simple as being the 4th biggest spenders = 4th place, football across all leagues and countries would be pretty boring and pointless. Every team has injuries, inherited squad members, losses of form and 1000 and one other issues that mean it's not a simple case of money = position. Years and years of much higher income eventually lead to dominance, but Hibs extra spending over our competitors for 4th place is nothing like the gap that Celtic/Rangers have over us.

Jack Ross has done a pretty good job so far. If Kevin Nisbet scores that penalty in the Semi...or if the Ref gives the penalty for the push on Squirrel then we win the semi and many people's perception of Jack Ross's first year is very different. It's fine margins. I like JR, I think he is very capable and makes more good decisions than bad ones. If we keep him for and three of four years I think it will pay real dividends.

Far too sensible for some on here.

As regards spending = position in league, why not count up the money at the start of the season and not bother playing any games at all? We'd be 5th every year and therefore not underperforming.

That way people can't go over the edge, because we won't ever lose to hertz.

We seem to judge managers on the basis that we should always beat Motherwell, Killie, St J etc etc, but when it comes to those teams who have more money than us, we can't accept that. Surely fans of clubs who have more money than we do must also think that they should be beating Hibs, or at worst shouldn't lose.

bingo70
03-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Far too sensible for some on here.

As regards spending = position in league, why not count up the money at the start of the season and not bother playing any games at all? We'd be 5th every year and therefore not underperforming.

That way people can't go over the edge, because we won't ever lose to hertz.

We seem to judge managers on the basis that we should always beat Motherwell, Killie, St J etc etc, but when it comes to those teams who have more money than us, we can't accept that. Surely fans of clubs who have more money than we do must also think that they should be beating Hibs, or at worst shouldn't lose.

Just to pick up on your last sentence. They do think that and they do beat us most of the time?

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I don't think we're as bad to watch as people think. I think a lot of it comes from missing a real quality player that can move the ball around constantly. A midfield of that player, Gogic and Newall would be pretty good. If Newall gets marked by 2 guys then it often falls to Hanlon to make the passes out of the defence. That can go either way.

Ross does struggle in big games, I was probably one of the first ones to notice that. But generally his record against lesser sides is very good, something that should be enough to get us a comfortable 4th place, which, with covid causing all kinds of problems, would be very good.

Just_Jimmy
03-12-2020, 10:18 AM
B+

harder to beat
assembled a decent side with some decent players
well dressed*
well spoken*

dull to watch often

*I know people won't care but I think it's important but I obviously wouldn't grade someone on it solely. it's just a plus

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
03-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Whilst we may not have the same budget difference as the old firm do to us we do have a huge advantage over at least half the league. Let’s not dress this up as if weve got 5-10% more. St J finished above us last season with a turnover of around half of ours. That’s unacceptable regardless of the variables. Our budget is huge compared to everyone other than the OF and Aberdeen in the top league and there’s no excuse for our league position not to reflect that.

Budget wise we’re talking about half the teams in this league signing players who could potentially earn just as much money working as an electrician or something whilst we can go out and sign 2 of the hottest prospects in the country on 4 and 5 year deals where we’ll probably end up paying them around £1m in wages. Half the league are worried about keeping the lights on while we do that.

That’s a huge difference and something that should be reflected season after season in our performances. And if you don’t agree with that then surely questions could then be asked of why we can’t lay a glove on Aberdeen every single season in the league and also in the majority of individual games against them.

To say money isn’t everything is true to an extent. But generally speaking the richer teams finish highest. We’ve woefully underperformed for years compared to most others and that woeful underperformance shouldn’t be used as a benchmark for how we go in the future.

bingo70
03-12-2020, 10:28 AM
B+

harder to beat
assembled a decent side with some decent players
well dressed*
well spoken*

dull to watch often

*I know people won't care but I think it's important but I obviously wouldn't grade someone on it solely. it's just a plus

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The well spoken thing is an interesting one. He’s certainly very articulate and always very calm and measured.

I don’t always want that from a manager though, I like seeing the emotional side of them. Like to see them with a bit fire in their belly, if that gets them in trouble sometimes then so be it, I think I can relate to people like that better. When I hear Ross speaking, it’s almost like listening to a robot saying all the sound bites a manager should be saying. I personally find it all very dull and not engaging at all.

Only exception to that is after the Aberdeen game, it’s the first time I’ve heard him let his guard down a bit and I loved it.

Weir07
03-12-2020, 10:45 AM
The well spoken thing is an interesting one. He’s certainly very articulate and always very calm and measured.

I don’t always want that from a manager though, I like seeing the emotional side of them. Like to see them with a bit fire in their belly, if that gets them in trouble sometimes then so be it, I think I can relate to people like that better. When I hear Ross speaking, it’s almost like listening to a robot saying all the sound bites a manager should be saying. I personally find it all very dull and not engaging at all.

Only exception to that is after the Aberdeen game, it’s the first time I’ve heard him let his guard down a bit and I loved it.

I think you're on to something there, it's probably the reason people can often seem polorised in their opinions when it comes to Jack Ross and managers in general, I'm quite a calm and considered person and I look for that trait in others, so I really like Jack, think he comes across really well and is, overall, a good decision maker, be that player choice or game plans. If you're a person that likes to see a more passionate manager (not saying it's wrong by the way), then maybe Jack Ross isn't your cup of tea and maybe a Neil Lennon type is.

Basically we let our personal likes (or prejudices) get in the way of a proper assement.

Sir David Gray
03-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Results - B
Performances - C

If we improve results in the bigger games then we'll be an A. Many of our performances leave a lot to be desired.

Hibs1969
03-12-2020, 11:43 AM
C for me, last season he got us out a relegation battle but ultimately failed by finishing in the bottom 6.

This season we are where we should be but the football is brutal to watch at times, derby results being a major blot on his copybook, hopefully it improves but I’m not totally convinced that it will.

4th place isn’t to be sniffed at but I really haven’t enjoyed watching my team very often under his stewardship.

We only finished in the bottom 6 because of the artificial way the season was ended, and even then it was only by a bawhair. For the most part he has made us harder to beat and while some of our play has been decent, it’s not always the most eye catching. I’m still not convinced he knows our best formation or line up but he has been badly hamstrung by the long term absence of Scott Allan. Overall it’s a B- from me.

superfurryhibby
03-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Given what he inherited, Ross has done a decent job. I think that is undeniable. As many have said, his record in big matches hasn’t been so good. It takes time to build a side though. He’s had two windows and has made his mark.

As often seems the case, we’re a couple of quality players away from being a very good side. I would like to see more tactical flexibility and more resilience when trying to hold onto a lead. Defensive minded substitutions haven't served us all that well.

I hope we see some movement in January, fringe players moved on and some starters coming in. Money will no doubt be very tight so departures will be necessary for that to happen. We also have the Magennis laddie who’s had no impact thus far. Ross has placed a lot of faith in him. Hopefully a five year deal and substantial fee will be merited and he becomes the lynchpin of our midfield.

For me Ross gets a B. Solid performance, some very good results, but not enough of them.

hibbydog
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM

I think that's pretty fair. The budget is probably the greatest thing that infuences our position. So on average we should be 4th every season. Hibs in general havent lived up to that and it doesnt sit well with me. Given the other factors and randomness (which is what keeps things interesting as you say) then we ought to be out performing our budget sometimes too, but that rarely happens.

Overall, Jack Ross has done fine, solid, competent, decent, without any fireworks. Much improvement needed against the old firm/ Aberdeen and derbies.

H18S NX
03-12-2020, 12:01 PM
"c" for me.i would like to see a lot more passion from the sidelines,but that's just me.

bingo70
03-12-2020, 12:18 PM
I think you're on to something there, it's probably the reason people can often seem polorised in their opinions when it comes to Jack Ross and managers in general, I'm quite a calm and considered person and I look for that trait in others, so I really like Jack, think he comes across really well and is, overall, a good decision maker, be that player choice or game plans. If you're a person that likes to see a more passionate manager (not saying it's wrong by the way), then maybe Jack Ross isn't your cup of tea and maybe a Neil Lennon type is.

Basically we let our personal likes (or prejudices) get in the way of a proper assement.

Funny, like you, I consider myself a pretty calm kind of guy. Not necessarily on here after we get beat as I enjoy a tantrum as much as anyone, in real life though I tend not to get emotional or excitable easy. I think I’d be a crap manager though, I want someone almost the complete opposite to me.

Being calm and methodical is fine, there’s no question there’s a time and a place for that. I would say being like that all the time isn’t any good though, there needs to be a different side to Ross and I’d personally like to see that more often. Like with most things in life there’s a balance to be had, my own view is that I’m not sure he’s got that balance right in terms of his public perception, too robot like for me, you’re right in that it’s possibly why I’ve just never taken to him despite him having a more than acceptable points return for where we are.

Northernhibee
03-12-2020, 12:18 PM
I think that's pretty fair. The budget is probably the greatest thing that infuences our position. So on average we should be 4th every season. Hibs in general havent lived up to that and it doesnt sit well with me. Given the other factors and randomness (which is what keeps things interesting as you say) then we ought to be out performing our budget sometimes too, but that rarely happens.

Overall, Jack Ross has done fine, solid, competent, decent, without any fireworks. Much improvement needed against the old firm/ Aberdeen and derbies.

The old firm thing puzzles me. We’ve been one of two teams to get anything off of Rangers this season full stop and we’ve extended our unbeaten run at ER against Celtic. The derby hurt, there’s no question but I think we’ve done well considering against the OF.

calumhibee1
03-12-2020, 12:38 PM
The old firm thing puzzles me. We’ve been one of two teams to get anything off of Rangers this season full stop and we’ve extended our unbeaten run at ER against Celtic. The derby hurt, there’s no question but I think we’ve done well considering against the OF.

What is his record against the OF? Off the top of my head I don’t think we’ve won so I presume it’s 2 or 3 draws and 4 or 5 defeats?

Northernhibee
03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
What is his record against the OF? Off the top of my head I don’t think we’ve won so I presume it’s 2 or 3 draws and 4 or 5 defeats?
In context of the other teams in the league (which is as good a judge of the OF’s relative strength as any) we stand up pretty well though. There is progress for us which is tangible.

B.H.F.C
03-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Two draws, four defeats.

His first two games against them, back to back before Christmas last year were shockers. We then did all right in a 2-1 defeat at ibrox but it was pretty much backs to the wall.

General feeling seemed to be that we did well at Parkhead this season, but it was as comfortable as they’ve been all year.

Two draws this year were credible results but I thought the Celtic one was an odd game as I didn’t think either team was good. The draw against Rangers was the only really good performance he’s had against either, IMO.

Keith_M
03-12-2020, 01:18 PM
We're unbeaten in our last two games against the OF, if that means anything.

:wink:

Edit: I actually meant last time we played each of them, though that probably makes less sense...

hibbydog
03-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Ach maybe it’s a frustration about the old firm in general. They’re so far ahead of everyone else it’s become boring. I really enjoyed the banter years when The Rangers were pants and we rolled them over regularly.

Similarly there have been good Hibs teams in the past where I always fancied us against anyone at Easter Road.

Changed days IMO

BoltonHibee
03-12-2020, 08:19 PM
I was happy enough when he took over, but I can’t stand watching Hibs these days.

I wouldn’t care if he got turfed out tomorrow. His football bores me senseless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
03-12-2020, 08:28 PM
I was happy enough when he took over, but I can’t stand watching Hibs these days.

I wouldn’t care if he got turfed out tomorrow. His football bores me senseless

Football in general has been boring without the fans' being there. Hibs are certainly no exception.

B.H.F.C
03-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Football in general has been boring without the fans' being there. Hibs are certainly no exception.

I keep reading this but don’t agree. I’ve not noticed much difference to normal in most game I’ve watched. Even watching the Europa League games tonight, good games.

Not being able to go to watch Hibs definitely contributes to any apathy I have towards them. But I do feel a bit meh watching us under Ross.

calumhibee1
03-12-2020, 08:40 PM
I keep reading this but don’t agree. I’ve not noticed much difference to normal in most game I’ve watched. Even watching the Europa League games tonight, good games.

Not being able to go to watch Hibs definitely contributes to any apathy I have towards them. But I do feel a bit meh watching us under Ross.

Definitely. The The Rangers game tonight has been a very good watch.

There’s no doubting it is more boring without fans but our style of play is also a huge contributing factor.

Snedz
03-12-2020, 09:47 PM
I have to applaud Jack for trying to play football how it should be played and that's on the deck. Its the misplaced passes or the tendency to slow the tempo down that bitty too much that can hurt us. Never ever boring for me as I'll never tire of watching the Hi bees play and willing them on to win.

Centre Hawf
03-12-2020, 10:24 PM
I think it's around a C for me. Which is a pass on the whole. But there's more that can be done in terms of working on our patterns of play to be more a enjoyable watch as a spectator, and actually give us a chance in some games where we have looked pretty hopeless. But missing Scott Allan has certainly effected that.

I do think this season the standard of the league is pretty poor which has helped us. But we can only beat what is in front of us and we've managed to get a draw against both Celtic and Rangers which is good. But on the whole our results in 'big' games have left a bit to be desired. Results against Aberdeen haven't been great considering we compete with them directly really, our results against Hearts bar the Boxing day derby have been poor, and the performances against the old firm outside of our two draws have been pretty lacklustre.

At the moment he's doing fine, but that's all it is really. There's stuff to be happy with, and there's still stuff to work on. Talk of him going to Celtic is just as daft as anyone suggesting he should go.

neil7908
04-12-2020, 05:59 AM
Not really sure how anyone could describe a manager who has us in a European spot poor?

Although i shouldn't be surprised? :faf:

Because they don't think we'll be there for long. Motherwell will only be 2 behind us if they win at the weekend. Dundee Utd are 6 behind.

I have to say the Hearts result and our subsequent form has rattled me.

Gets a C+ for me but as it stands I don't think we'll finish in the top 4. Football isn't great to watch either, with our defence looking suspect again after a promising start to the season.

Feels like the criticism of his time at Sunderland is relevant here - dull football and far too many draws.

calumhibee1
04-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Because they don't think we'll be there for long. Motherwell will only be 2 behind us if they win at the weekend. Dundee Utd are 6 behind.

Gets a C+ for me but as it stands I don't think we'll finish in the top 4. Football isn't great to watch either, with our defence looking suspect again after a promising start to the season.

Feels like the criticism of his time at Sunderland is relevant here - dull football and far too many draws.

Exactly.

I’m not even one who thinks Ross has been poor. I think he’s been decent and depending on how the next few games go could see what side of decent he eventually lands on but at the end of the day, headlines for his tenure are:

- Delivered a bottom 6 finish

- A cup semi final derby defeat to a lower league Hearts

- A home league defeat to a bottom of the league Hearts where we got absolutely leathered

- No wins against the OF

- Really struggling to lay a glove on Aberdeen with the exception of one game

- A good start to this season result wise with some very dull football where the results have started to dry up a bit and teams with budgets about half of ours are closing in on us.

Having us in the top 4 after 15 games is obviously better than not being there but plenty other managers have started a season well with us and collapsed which is what we’re threatening to do again. Other than a win away against Hearts there’s not really been any huge positives over his tenure so far but there’s been a few really bad ones.

Keith_M
04-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Ross took over Hibs in 9th place, took us into the top half of the league and, if the season had finished, based on the fact we were third best side form wise since he took over, would most likely have led us to a 4th or 5th place finish.... despite being hampered by the poor start to the season under Hecky

...and somebody interprets that us 'delivered a bottom six finish'!

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read some people's comments on here

:faf:

Northernhibee
04-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Ross took over Hibs in 9th place, took us into the top half of the league and, if the season had finished, based on the fact we were third best side form wise since he took over, would most likely have led us to a 4th or 5th place finish.... despite being hampered by the poor start to the season under Hecky

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read some people's comments on here

It’s mental. Equally the headlines could be the highest number of international call ups in recent times, balancing the squad with good signings, signing one of the most promising young strikers in Scotland, high up in the form table and one of only two domestic teams to take points off of Rangers.

B.H.F.C
04-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Last season isn’t what he should be judged on. But I don’t think we’d have finished as high as you’re suggesting. We’d been pumped in our last couple of games prior to the break so we weren’t exactly in great form for the run in, especially given his record against Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen who would have accounted for 4 of our 8 remaining games.

HibeeJude
04-12-2020, 09:59 AM
To anyone going on about the 7th place finish - we were due to play a poor St Johnstone team 12 hours after the league was cancelled, they were placed above us on points per game which is fair enough however their game in hand was a totally unwinnable one at Ibrox before travelling to Parkhead a week later. Had the season continued we would have finished 5th minimum IMO

Keith_M
04-12-2020, 10:01 AM
To anyone going on about the 7th place finish - we were due to play a poor St Johnstone team 12 hours after the league was cancelled, they were placed above us on points per game which is fair enough however their game in hand was a totally unwinnable one at Ibrox before travelling to Parkhead a week later. Had the season continued we would have finished 5th minimum IMO

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2020, 10:05 AM

And we'll be miles ahead of Motherwell if we win, despite the gifts they've recieved.

flash
04-12-2020, 10:12 AM
Exactly.

I’m not even one who thinks Ross has been poor. I think he’s been decent and depending on how the next few games go could see what side of decent he eventually lands on but at the end of the day, headlines for his tenure are:

- A home league defeat to a bottom of the league Hearts where we got absolutely leathered

- No wins against the OF

- A good start to this season result wise with some very dull football where the results have started to dry up a bit and teams with budgets about half of ours are closing in on us.

Having us in the top 4 after 15 games is obviously better than not being there but plenty other managers have started a season well with us and collapsed which is what we’re threatening to do again. Other than a win away against Hearts there’s not really been any huge positives over his tenure so far but there’s been a few really bad ones.

Posts like this really do act as positivity vacuums. The worst possible take on his tenure at every opportunity.

superfurryhibby
04-12-2020, 10:16 AM

I agree, 4th or 5th was the likely finish.

Some people need to try and look on the bright side of life a bit more, or stop watching football because it can't be great for one's state of mind to feel so negative about something you're meant to enjoy.

I agree, 4th or 5th was the likely finish.

Some people need to try and look on the bright side of life a bit more, or stop watching football because it can't be great for one's state of mind to feel so negative about something you're meant to enjoy.

It’s mental. Equally the headlines could be the highest number of international call ups in recent times, balancing the squad with good signings, signing one of the most promising young strikers in Scotland, high up in the form table and one of only two domestic teams to take points off of Rangers.

Booooooooo .

Key West
04-12-2020, 10:49 AM
I think that Jack has made a good start and when you are going through yet another transitional period there will be periods of inconsistency, the virus has been a predominant issue in football as it has been in life and it really has been an unsettling and distressing situation in many ways.

There are several players who have either performed below their standards, needing games after nasty injuries or having to adapt in a positional sense to get the best out of the balance of the team. The squad which has been streamlined is probably not what it should be and we seem to be stretched in the centre back and wing back areas.

For me the manager has tried to put out a positive line up in all the games and when the players cross the line is up to them to cut out basic errors at the back or take reasonably good chances when they come our way, Jack Ross cannot legislate for these factors and progress in general has been steady.

Even when we had McGinn and co fans were still impatient and critical that never goes away, the fans have high expectations, if we are competing around the top 4 slot year after year that would be a massive boost and it would go along way to fulfilling our aspirations of becoming the best.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Ah right, you are basing it on what might happen not what has happened?:confused:

calumhibee1
04-12-2020, 11:04 AM

In the 15 games before the season was called we won 4, drew 3, lost 8. 15 points in 15 games. If you want to shorten that period to the generally accepted time frame for form of 6 games we were 7 points in they 6 games. St Johnstone had 18 over that 15 period, and even more telling they had 11 over the 6 game period.

If you think that kind of form over that length of time says 4th or 5th place finish then quite simply you’re wrong. That’s heading for 9th, 10th or 11th place in the league over quite a sustained period of time

On that form we were by a mile more likely to finish bottom 6 than we were to finish top 4 or 5.

And at the end of the day that run contributed massively to us ending up bottom 6 and claiming we absolutely would have got top 6 is about as laughable as Hearts claiming they would absolutely have survived. So yes, Jack Ross did indeed deliver a bottom six finish. Was it all his fault? Of course not. Does he have to take a large portion of the blame considering that run of form? Absolutely.

As I said in my original post, I’m not even in the Jack Ross is doing poor camp but when it comes down to the big moments - cup semi finals against your lower league rivals, OF games, other derby games, Aberdeen games, getting into the top 6, we’ve more often than not fell short. As such, whilst I don’t necessarily agree with it I don’t think it’s that difficult to see why folk expect him to be doing better

calumhibee1
04-12-2020, 11:25 AM

The same St Johnstone who were in significantly better form than us?

Claiming we were guaranteed top 5 when we were picking up a point per game over a 15 game period is hearts levels of delusion. We might well have finished top 5, but there’s little to actually suggest we would have and we never.

JimBHibees
04-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Exactly.

- No wins against the OF

Cheer up bud. :greengrin

calumhibee1
04-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Cheer up bud. :greengrin

I know, I have pointed out that I’m not even on that side of the argument :greengrin

But to suggest that it’s impossible to fathom why some might think that way is pretty blinkered - when it’s come to the big moments there’s been more lows than highs :agree:

Inconsequential
04-12-2020, 01:09 PM
:agree: Yes but Hibs form was poor when the league was curtailed having lost to Hearts and Aberdeen. One point from these games would probably have secured a top six place. Sevco were in poor form too, dropping points regularly. Hibs record up to the early end of the season wasn't good enough to reach the top six. No buts! :wink:

Keith_M
05-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Ahem...

:greengrin

Since452
05-12-2020, 04:15 PM
I see Sunderland continue to sink without a trace

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2020, 04:21 PM
And we'll be miles ahead of Motherwell if we win, despite the gifts they've recieved.

5, 12, 16, 24, 37 and the bonus ball is 18

Keith_M
05-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Since452
05-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Last year I saw us turn in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Hibs side at Motherwell under Heckingbottom. A year on we very very good at the same venue. He's doing a good job.

superfurryhibby
05-12-2020, 04:30 PM

:top marks

Made me smile.

ABZHFC
05-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Last year I saw us turn in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Hibs side at Motherwell under Heckingbottom. A year on we very very good at the same venue. He's doing a good job.

Yep, beaten by a 3-0 scoreline that day as well. It was a truly turgid 'performance', as it was in Lennon's final game in charge of Hibs, a 1-0 defeat where we never laid a glove on them.

Think Ross is doing a good job, the more we win games like today, the higher up the table we'll go, even if we don't do as well in the 'bigger' games.

End of the day, I just want to see us qualify for Europe, imagine having that to look forward to when we're (hopefully) allowed back into grounds come next season!

Jim44
05-12-2020, 04:37 PM
I hope today’s result and performance will cut JR a bit slack. Folk calling for his resignation are out of order, in my opinion, and, while performances have not been ideal, I think he’s the guy for us for at least a couple of seasons. :hibees

J-C
05-12-2020, 04:45 PM
I hope today’s result and performance will cut JR a bit slack. Folk calling for his resignation are out of order, in my opinion, and, while performances have not been ideal, I think he’s the guy for us for at least a couple of seasons. :hibees

TBF I have never seen anyone on here call for his resignation, a few have questioned his managerial abilities but not for him to be sacked. We've had some good results, some poor results and some bang average boring results but nothing in there to want him to go, we are 3rd after all.

Silversand
05-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Ahem...

We're not first! Petrie! :faf:

Jim44
05-12-2020, 04:52 PM
TBF I have never seen anyone on here call for his resignation, a few have questioned his managerial abilities but not for him to be sacked. We've had some good results, some poor results and some bang average boring results but nothing in there to want him to go, we are 3rd after all.

I think you’re being kind, ‘cos a few punters definitely wanted shot of him. Anyway, I’m not going waste my time searching for evidence. Let’s get behind JR and enjoy the journey.

Peevemor
05-12-2020, 05:03 PM
I think you’re being kind, ‘cos a few punters definitely wanted shot of him. Anyway, I’m not going waste my time searching for evidence. Let’s get behind JR and enjoy the journey.There have definitely been plenty of "get him to f***" and "he's not up to it" posts.

bingo70
05-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Has anyone been calling for his resignation?

I think there’s signs knives were starting to be sharpened but I don’t think anybody was wanting him sacked yet.

I’ve been quite critical of him myself but wasn’t wanting him sacked. I understand why some people felt he was above criticism given the league position but I just haven’t completely taken to him.

That was a terrific second half today though, keep playing like that and it won’t take long to win me round.

WestCoastHibby
05-12-2020, 05:06 PM
We sit in 3rd place tonight.
It's a B++ from me.
Solid manager and I totally agree with him re' harsh punishment handed to teams. Lose the points maybe but three goals is taking the proverbial

Jim44
05-12-2020, 05:07 PM

I think there’s signs knives were starting to be sharpened but I don’t think anybody was wanting him sacked yet.

I’ve been quite critical of him myself but wasn’t wanting him sacked. I understand why some people felt he was above criticism given the league position but I just haven’t completely taken to him.

That was a terrific second half today though, keep playing like that and it won’t take long to win me round.

See above and, yes, we’re getting back in the right direction.

The Spaceman
05-12-2020, 05:09 PM
If you’d told me in the summer by now we’d be above Aberdeen in third, miles clear in the Top 6, and one point behind Celtic, I’d have been fairly happy 😂

He’s doing a great job. Just needs to start picking up results in the “big games”, but he seems to have sorted us out against the “smaller teams” which was always a major weakness for us.

KingPat4
05-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Another home defeat for Sunderland today. I wonder what their fans think of Jack right now?

KingPat4
05-12-2020, 05:28 PM
If you’d told me in the summer by now we’d be above Aberdeen in third, miles clear in the Top 6, and one point behind Celtic, I’d have been fairly happy 😂

He’s doing a great job. Just needs to start picking up results in the “big games”, but he seems to have sorted us out against the “smaller teams” which was always a major weakness for us.

If we had held on v Celtic, we'd be 2 points clear in second.

Magpie
05-12-2020, 05:29 PM

If we had taken our chances at Dingwall and saw off the game at home to Celtic we would be 4 points clear in 2nd of Celtic and 5 points clear of Aberdeen! But I’ll take our current position and build from here.

lord bunberry
05-12-2020, 05:39 PM

What will it take for you to warm to him? The football hasn’t always been great, but there’s no manager in my lifetime that has achieved great football every week. He’s constantly got results since he’s came in and I would imagine his win percentage is up there with the best managers in our history. I honestly don’t know what some people are expecting from him.

jacomo
05-12-2020, 05:50 PM
Another home defeat for Sunderland today. I wonder what their fans think of Jack right now?

From what I recall, they were annoyed with Jack Ross' Sunderland team getting too many draws.

Now that he's been in charge of Hibs a year, you can see this tendency. He's a very tactics-orientated manager who seems to prioritise avoiding loss above attacking swagger. But overall he's done a fine job for us so far and by building a squad and a system that is hard to beat, there is hope can we can kick on from here and continue to improve.

We are in good shape imo.

calumhibee1
05-12-2020, 05:53 PM
There have definitely been plenty of "get him to f***" and "he's not up to it" posts.

I would love to see that.

bingo70
05-12-2020, 06:00 PM
What will it take for you to warm to him? The football hasn’t always been great, but there’s no manager in my lifetime that has achieved great football every week. He’s constantly got results since he’s came in and I would imagine his win percentage is up there with the best managers in our history. I honestly don’t know what some people are expecting from him.

Honestly mate, I’m not sure.

All stats and league performance suggests it’s ridiculous I’m not a huge fan of his as he’s done a good job.

I just find him quite boring and I’ve found his team boring up to now, with the odd exception of course. Before the hearts game I was desperate to convince myself to like him but since then I’ve just not really been interested in doing that and just accepted it is what it is. I don’t want him sacked and I know my opinion of him doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

I thought we were outstanding in the second half today, keep playing like that and I’m sure I’ll change my mind before too long though.

Tambo
05-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Looked much better first 15 minutes and then all the second half than we have so far playing football wise, question is now can they do it again next week.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2020, 06:15 PM

All stats and league performance suggests it’s ridiculous I’m not a huge fan of his as he’s done a good job.

I just find him quite boring and I’ve found his team boring up to now, with the odd exception of course. Before the hearts game I was desperate to convince myself to like him but since then I’ve just not really been interested in doing that and just accepted it is what it is. I don’t want him sacked and I know my opinion of him doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

I thought we were outstanding in the second half today, keep playing like that and I’m sure I’ll change my mind before too long though.

FWIW, I feel pretty much the same.

There is just something that I’ve never warmed to, right from the start. At the same time, I don’t think he should really be getting questioned.

If we can finish where we are then I’ll be more than happy. The two cups are big. Can’t have another Hearts type result though.

Second half today was really good.

calumhibee1
05-12-2020, 06:16 PM

Pretty much where I am.

Doing a decent job, don’t want him replaced but find the football very boring. More performances like today’s second half and were onto a winner.

lord bunberry
05-12-2020, 06:22 PM

I kind of get what your saying, but I think we just need to look at his record and not get to caught up in how he’s got those results. He inherited a decent team that was seriously underperforming and he got them winning games again, this season he’s achieved what we all expected us to achieve and for a hibs manager that’s a rare thing. We’ve underachieved almost all my life and now we’re living up to expectations there’s doubt in the manager. The second half performance today shows that his teams can be exciting to watch, but it’s not going to happen every week.

Jim44
05-12-2020, 06:39 PM
I would love to see that.

Well go and find them ..... they’re out there. I don’t know what this crap is about. I’m trying to defend against the anti - JR posts but, somehow, I’m being accused of inventing them. Gie’s a break.

bingo70
05-12-2020, 06:40 PM
I kind of get what your saying, but I think we just need to look at his record and not get to caught up in how he’s got those results. He inherited a decent team that was seriously underperforming and he got them winning games again, this season he’s achieved what we all expected us to achieve and for a hibs manager that’s a rare thing. We’ve underachieved almost all my life and now we’re living up to expectations there’s doubt in the manager. The second half performance today shows that his teams can be exciting to watch, but it’s not going to happen every week.

He’s going to get time, there’s no question of that. That result puts us 8 points clear of 5th I think so he’s not getting sacked any times soon and neither he should.

I think he’ll get plenty time to implement his own style of football, whatever that may be so he’ll get judged over a fair period of time.

Unseen work
05-12-2020, 06:49 PM
I’m really confused how I’m reading this thread and seeing anything about him being sacked.

Where does that even come from? We’re 3rd.

If everyone wants really good football and high energy all game I heard this German manager is really good at it, Stendel or something like that. Aw wait a second....

bingo70
05-12-2020, 06:50 PM
I’m really confused how I’m reading this thread and seeing anything about him being sacked.

Where does that even come from? We’re 3rd.

If everyone wants really good football and high energy all game I heard this German manager is really good at it, Stendel or something like that. Aw wait a second....

Is anybody wanting him sacked?

The Modfather
05-12-2020, 07:04 PM

I think it’s the same kind of hyperbole as the posters complaining about folk saying “we’re not a top 6 side” and “we don’t have any top 6 players”, which wasn’t actually what anyone was saying. Same with posters complaining about folk wanting him sacked, I’ve not seen those posts, but if there is it will be less than a handful of posters so not really representative of anything.

eezyrider
05-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Given the resources that the ugly sisters have I'm surprised no one is giving him a 10/10. To put it into perspective:

Name Win%
Jack Ross 52.27
Paul Heckingbottom 34.38
Neil Lennon 47.97

theonlywayisup
05-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Very happy with Ross.

I think we are work in progress and I'm happy that it's Ross that is taking us forward.

I still think we're weak in midfield. I'm convinced that in a years time we'll be in a stronger position.

Stevie Reid
05-12-2020, 07:27 PM
In the 15 games before the season was called we won 4, drew 3, lost 8. 15 points in 15 games. If you want to shorten that period to the generally accepted time frame for form of 6 games we were 7 points in they 6 games. St Johnstone had 18 over that 15 period, and even more telling they had 11 over the 6 game period.

If you think that kind of form over that length of time says 4th or 5th place finish then quite simply you’re wrong. That’s heading for 9th, 10th or 11th place in the league over quite a sustained period of time

On that form we were by a mile more likely to finish bottom 6 than we were to finish top 4 or 5.

And at the end of the day that run contributed massively to us ending up bottom 6 and claiming we absolutely would have got top 6 is about as laughable as Hearts claiming they would absolutely have survived. So yes, Jack Ross did indeed deliver a bottom six finish. Was it all his fault? Of course not. Does he have to take a large portion of the blame considering that run of form? Absolutely.

As I said in my original post, I’m not even in the Jack Ross is doing poor camp but when it comes down to the big moments - cup semi finals against your lower league rivals, OF games, other derby games, Aberdeen games, getting into the top 6, we’ve more often than not fell short. As such, whilst I don’t necessarily agree with it I don’t think it’s that difficult to see why folk expect him to be doing better

From what I can see we lost 7 of those 15 games before the season was called, the record was W 5 D 3 L 7, so we took 18 points.

Why did you pick such an arbitrary number anyway? He was only in charge for 18 league games, and the first of the 15 that you have gone from was his first defeat - the three games before that we won two and had drawn one.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2020, 07:43 PM

Certainly haven’t seen many folk say anything like that. Even miserable folk like me.

calumhibee1
05-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Well go and find them ..... they’re out there. I don’t know what this crap is about. I’m trying to defend against the anti - JR posts but, somehow, I’m being accused of inventing them. Gie’s a break.

I’ve looked. It didn’t happen and you are inventing it. You’re about the only person who reckons they’ve seen anyone wanting him sacked, never mind numerous folk wanting him sacked.

calumhibee1
05-12-2020, 08:21 PM
From what I can see we lost 7 of those 15 games before the season was called, the record was W 5 D 3 L 7, so we took 18 points.

Why did you pick such an arbitrary number anyway? He was only in charge for 18 league games, and the first of the 15 that you have gone from was his first defeat - the three games before that we won two and had drawn one.

Apologies, you are correct, it’s 5 wins and not 4.

Still, point still stands. He absolutely contributed to our bottom six finish with a run like that. Not all his fault as I said but to point blank to refuse he contributed to it or claim we were guaranteed top 6 and looking good to get top 4 or 5 just isn’t really true.

superfurryhibby
05-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Apologies, you are correct, it’s 5 wins and not 4.

Still, point still stands. He absolutely contributed to our bottom six finish with a run like that. Not all his fault as I said but to point blank to refuse he contributed to it or claim we were guaranteed top 6 and looking good to get top 4 or 5 just isn’t really true.

So you were basing your argument on wrong stats and never answered the bit about why you ignored the two wins and a draw for his first three games....but your point still stands :confused:

calumhibee1
05-12-2020, 09:41 PM
So you were basing your argument on wrong stats and never answered the bit about why you ignored the two wins and a draw for his first three games....but your point still stands :confused:

The argument doesn’t change much whether it’s 18 points from 15 games or 15 from 15, it’s still a poor return that contributed to our bottom six finish. So yes, the point still stands.

I ignored them because the point was about the bad run we were on. 7 points from 3 games isn’t a part of a poor run, so it’s not relevant when discussing the length of the poor run. If you were wanting to say we’d won 4 in a row you wouldn’t say we’d won 4 in 7 if we had went 3 before hand without winning because like above, it wouldn’t be relevant to the fact we’d won 4 in a row.

Do you really find that so hard to comprehend?

Magpie
05-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Given the resources that the ugly sisters have I'm surprised no one is giving him a 10/10. To put it into perspective:

Name Win%
Jack Ross 52.27
Paul Heckingbottom 34.38
Neil Lennon 47.97

If we didn’t lose to Hearts and managed to get something off Aberdeen then it would be top marks from me.

Nevi_SOL
05-12-2020, 10:17 PM
To sum it up.

If you’d offered me a point of second place by December back at the start of. The season i’d Have bitten your hand off

Alex Trager
05-12-2020, 10:18 PM

I think this is a really good point and one to not be missed.

We finally have a manager taking us to where we all think we should be, without much glamour it must be said, but we are there none the less.

How often has that happened in everyone’s time watching hibs?

I’d be willing to bet around about 5-10% of seasons max.

Sometimes it needs to be done ugly.

All that matters is we are there.

Would folk rather we were playing the football we did under Stubbs -which I’m not convinced was excellent btw- but losing late goals or losing 0-3 to Morton at home?

I suppose it depends from person to person. I think to be a 3rd/4th force in this country you’ve got to play football to not lose.

Due to budgets I doubt we’ll ever go out and blow teams apart weekly and finish third or higher.

However maybe we will. We need to remember Jr has been here for a year. Lets see where we are in another year.

Magpie
05-12-2020, 10:26 PM
To sum it up.

If you’d offered me a point of second place by December back at the start of. The season i’d Have bitten your hand off

Definitely, but I would have preferred a win over Hearts.

coco22
05-12-2020, 10:31 PM
The argument doesn’t change much whether it’s 18 points from 15 games or 15 from 15, it’s still a poor return that contributed to our bottom six finish. So yes, the point still stands.

I ignored them because the point was about the bad run we were on. 7 points from 3 games isn’t a part of a poor run, so it’s not relevant when discussing the length of the poor run. If you were wanting to say we’d won 4 in a row you wouldn’t say we’d won 4 in 7 if we had went 3 before hand without winning because like above, it wouldn’t be relevant to the fact we’d won 4 in a row.

You seem like you are up for arguing with anyone tonight Callum. Good result today....I’ll not list all the other positives at the moment as you clearly do your research and scrutinise the data to suit your angle of negativity..

Get your big, green positive pants on and cheer up pal 💚

superfurryhibby
05-12-2020, 10:49 PM

I just find your logic very flawed. Selectively choosing the evidence, getting basic facts wrong, only focusing on the bad run, which wasn’t really as bad as you made out, especially when you consider the good run and the overall progress made after Ross came in. Aye, to be fair quite hard to comprehend

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 07:15 AM
I just find your logic very flawed. Selectively choosing the evidence, getting basic facts wrong, only focusing on the bad run, which wasn’t really as bad as you made out, especially when you consider the good run and the overall progress made after Ross came in. Aye, to be fair quite hard to comprehend

I find it hard to believe you can’t actually comprehend the fact you would use the start of the bad run to point out a bad run.

Are you just as confused when someone tells you a player has scored in 4 games a row? Do you question why they didn’t mention the 3 games previous where they didn’t score and so it’s actually 4 goals in 7?

With regards to the fact I got it wrong, I apologised to the poster who pointed it out but 18 points from 15 is still crap and again, it doesn’t really change the general point being made at all. The 15 game period where we were on quite a poor run contributed to us finishing bottom half.

Anyway, good result yesterday and not really worth arguing about.

stantonhibby
06-12-2020, 08:29 AM
I’ve looked. It didn’t happen and you are inventing it. You’re about the only person who reckons they’ve seen anyone wanting him sacked, never mind numerous folk wanting him sacked.

You didn't look very hard then.....

Jack Ross has put together another team of bottlers. They can GTF and him first. No scrappy league win will make up for that garbage today.

From one of the numerous threads after the semi final defeat

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 08:31 AM

Jack Ross has put together another team of bottlers. They can GTF and him first. No scrappy league win will make up for that garbage today.

Ok, That’s one. There’s apparently at least a few, so I’m sure there’ll be plenty more.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Fake news 😁

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 08:35 AM
I find it hard to believe you can’t actually comprehend the fact you would use the start of the bad run to point out a bad run.

Are you just as confused when someone tells you a player has scored in 4 games a row? Do you question why they didn’t mention the 3 games previous where they didn’t score and so it’s actually 4 goals in 7?

With regards to the fact I got it wrong, I apologised to the poster who pointed it out but 18 points from 15 is still crap and again, it doesn’t really change the general point being made at all. The 15 game period where we were on quite a poor run contributed to us finishing bottom half.

However the simple reason we finished 7th was due to St Johnstone effectively gaining out of a missed trip to Ibrox. His overall record for us is outstanding, and the fact the biggest criticism that I can find on this thread is ‘I’m not really sure why I can’t take to him, and I know I should like him due to his record, but I can’t’ tells me he’s doing a very good job.

The sooner people realise that Celtic and Rangers aren’t ‘big games’ in the context of our season, they’re free hits and with a smidgen of luck we’d have two wins instead of two draws against them this season.

His record against Aberdeen and hearts can improve but folk would have you believe we get pumped every game against them. 1 win in 4 against Aberdeen, 1 in 3 against hearts. He’s turned us into a good side very quickly, but turning us into a really good side will take time, I’ve no doubt our consistency will continue as is though, beating the sides we should be beating most weeks.

Peevemor
06-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Ok, That’s one. There’s apparently at least a few, so I’m sure there’ll be plenty more.Calum, honestly I've seen stuff like that a few times. I'm not going to waste my Sunday trawling old threads to find proof. If you don't believe that's fine.

superfurryhibby
06-12-2020, 08:38 AM

The language of hysteria.

I’m not even reading the bit about scoring goals or whatever. Cannae be bothered.

Selectively using the evidence to portray a more negative take on things is shan. Getting it actually wrong is very shan and also quite funny, apology or not.

Here’s something for you to comprehend. I look at Ross’s overall performance, he’s managed us for enough games for that to tell you us something meaningful. My conclusion is that he’s done well.

bingo70
06-12-2020, 08:41 AM
However the simple reason we finished 7th was due to St Johnstone effectively gaining out of a missed trip to Ibrox. His overall record for us is outstanding, and the fact the biggest criticism that I can find on this thread is ‘I’m not really sure why I can’t take to him, and I know I should like him due to his record, but I can’t’ tells me he’s doing a very good job.

The sooner people realise that Celtic and Rangers aren’t ‘big games’ in the context of our season, they’re free hits and with a smidgen of luck we’d have two wins instead of two draws against them this season.

His record against Aberdeen and hearts can improve but folk would have you believe we get pumped every game against them. 1 win in 4 against Aberdeen, 1 in 3 against hearts. He’s turned us into a good side very quickly, but turning us into a really good side will take time, I’ve no doubt our consistency will continue as is though, beating the sides we should be beating most weeks.

Disagree about the games against the old firm, so did Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs, I suspect that’s why we beat them sometimes.

I think the wins against the old firm are the ones where we create memories. Yesterday for example was a big game on the context of the season but it’ll be forgotten about in 6 months time. Wins in the big games against the old firm and Hearts are remembered for years and years, they’re the games that’ll ultimately create memories and go a long way to making the manager popular.

Slow and steady progress, whilst not a bad thing, isn’t going to have the same impact on the support and just screams Alex Miller who wasn’t a particularly popular manager despite winning a cup and producing what were good teams on paper.

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 08:46 AM
Disagree about the games against the old firm, so did Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs, I suspect that’s why we beat them sometimes.

I think the wins against the old firm are the ones where we create memories. Yesterday for example was a big game on the context of the season but it’ll be forgotten about in 6 months time. Wins in the big games against the old firm and Hearts are remembered for years and years, they’re the games that’ll ultimately create memories and go a long way to making the manager popular.

Slow and steady progress, whilst not a bad thing, isn’t going to have the same impact on the support and just screams Alex Miller who wasn’t a particularly popular manager despite winning a cup and producing what were good teams on paper.

Lennon and Stubbs beat the worst Rangers sides in living memory, Jack Ross is playing arguably the best. A bit of context. We create memories in them as fans as it’s such a huge win if we do it. Wouldn’t matter what manager we have in right now, with our budget we are going to lose 7 times out of 10 against them. We will sneak results against them and he’s been very unlucky not to turn those two draws into two wins against them.

B.H.F.C
06-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Totally agree on the games against Rangers and Celtic and don’t think anything should ever be considered a free hit.

If you perform well against them it builds confidence. Last time we qualified for Europe via the league we regularly got results against them. If we hadn’t taken a couple of points from them this year, we’d be a position lower than we are. They don’t define our season on their own but they’re definitely a defining factor.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2020, 09:08 AM
If you believe some of the flat earthers, the Rangers are the best team they've ever had in their history, and celtic the worst. We've drawn 2-2 against both. We were sheite against celtic and very good against the huns. Neil Lennon manages one of them. He is an awful manager despite winning countless more trophies than slippy. I'm struggling to understand who we should beat in this league, and why we are making good progress as a club,but it's still clearly not good enough for some?

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Totally agree on the games against Rangers and Celtic and don’t think anything should ever be considered a free hit.

If you perform well against them it builds confidence. Last time we qualified for Europe via the league we regularly got results against them. If we hadn’t taken a couple of points from them this year, we’d be a position lower than we are. They don’t define our season on their own but they’re definitely a defining factor.

Expecting wins against them just because we regularly beat the worst Rangers side there has ever been for 3/4 years isn’t really an objective way of looking at things though. In reality, they are light years ahead of us. We will get the odd result against them as it’s football. Just like we won’t beat every single side from 5th to 12th every time. But the expectation that we need to win x amount of games against the old firm for Ross to be successful is insane.

Northernhibee
06-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Calum, honestly I've seen stuff like that a few times. I'm not going to waste my Sunday trawling old threads to find proof. If you don't believe that's fine.

I’ve also seen a handful of posts like that. No more than a handful but they did exist.

Similarly not going to waste hours trawling through threads to find them.

PaulSmith
06-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Considering where we’ve came from under Hecky to where we are now how anyone can even suggest that there’s not been a significant improvement defies all logic.

Only Aberdeen and Celtic have beat us in the league over a period of 16 games, that’s almost half a season, and I think we perhaps need to recognise that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neil7908
06-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Are we honestly saying those comments in anger at a derby loss in the heat of the moment are akin to actually wanting him sacked? Have you never said or posted something online or in anger that you've then rolled back on?

I've seen this on here before and it's total nonsense. Should every boo, groan, angry shout etc at a football game be taken as gospel? Fans were annoyed that we lost in such a massive game to our rivals.

No one actually wants him sacked. There is no one on this thread saying that, no polls on here asking the question.

Second half yesterday is huge for me - not only us winning but the style. I actually enjoyed watching us, felt energised and positive about the team. I still have a few concerns but performances like that and I'll be well into the happy clapper, Jack Ross can do no wrong camp.

makaveli1875
06-12-2020, 09:48 AM
I think he's done well. Better than I expected considering the **** show he took over from. He's made us hard to beat, only the Huns and Celtic have scored more and conceded less goals so far.
Cup game against hearts was a sore 1 but really but for a penalty hitting the bar and a wonder save from Gordon we'd be in the final.
Some say his football is boring but to be honest it's not that bad to watch, folk want all out attack gung ho but how many managers have the balls to play that way, Brendan Rodgers did but he had a massive budget to get the right players

J-C
06-12-2020, 10:03 AM

TBF you're always going to get a huge over reaction to a defeat to you main rivals in a cup semi, emotions run very high and people say many things in the heat they regret afterwards, that cup defeat to Hearts was as insipid a performance I've seen from any Hibs team and they deserved all the slagging they got afterwards.

Onion
06-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Astonished to hear JR is in the running to take over from Lennon at Celtic, but suppose the MSM and Celtic just can't help themselves. So far, Ross has little more than stabilise the ship and coming up short in the games that really matter.

stantonhibby
06-12-2020, 10:07 AM
TBF you're always going to get a huge over reaction to a defeat to you main rivals in a cup semi, emotions run very high and people say many things in the heat they regret afterwards, that cup defeat to Hearts was as insipid a performance I've seen from any Hibs team and they deserved all the slagging they got afterwards.

Absolutely....after the semi, this place was mental but kind of understandable as you say due to emotions running high.

I was merely pointing out that there was some JR gtf stuff going on which calum said Jim44 had invented. Not sure why I bothered as I'm sure he can defend himself.

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 10:15 AM

I’ve seen far worse hibs performances and I’m only in my mid twenties. We could, and should have won that game and fairly comfortably.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 10:32 AM
The language of hysteria.

I’m not even reading the bit about scoring goals or whatever. Cannae be bothered.

Selectively using the evidence to portray a more negative take on things is shan. Getting it actually wrong is very shan and also quite funny, apology or not.

Here’s something for you to comprehend. I look at Ross’s overall performance, he’s managed us for enough games for that to tell you us something meaningful. My conclusion is that he’s done well.

Of course you can’t be bothered because it makes an utter nonsense of your weird claim that to show a run of poor form you need to include games before the run of poor games started - games which aren’t part of the poor run of form.

Saint Hibee
06-12-2020, 10:34 AM
I think no matter what our league position is, many of us won’t truly warm to Ross until he can consistently beat Hearts. And there may not be any opportunities for that to happen for quite a while. Although I understand that many see it differently, for me, dominating our local rivals is pretty high up the list of criteria for a successful Hibs manager.

superfurryhibby
06-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Absolutely....after the semi, this place was mental but kind of understandable as you say due to emotions running high.

I was merely pointing out that there was some JR gtf stuff going on which calum said Jim44 had invented. Not sure why I bothered as I'm sure he can defend himself.

There was loads of it. Even on the first page of this thread, there’s plenty of nonsense. You bothered because someone was spraffing rubbish and trying to belittle another poster at the same time.

Northernhibee
06-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Astonished to hear JR is in the running to take over from Lennon at Celtic, but suppose the MSM and Celtic just can't help themselves. So far, Ross has little more than stabilise the ship and coming up short in the games that really matter.

He’s taken a team in a relegation fight, balanced the squad and gotten them to third in the league.

With all respect, what the hell are you talking about?

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 10:36 AM

The simple reason we finished 7th is because we didn’t pick up nearly enough points to get us into the top 6 or else we would have been in the top 6.

Blaming one St Johnstone fixture that we weren’t even involved in rather than looking at a combination of a very poor start to the season and a fairly poor 15 game run of our own as to why we finished where we did in the league is laughable. Heckingbottom and Ross both contributed to us finishing in the bottom 6 and the reason this whole debate started is because someone claimed that you can’t blame JR at all for us being bottom 6. Yet a 15 game period picking up 18 points is a hugely contributing factor to it.

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 10:38 AM
The simple reason we finished 7th is because we didn’t pick up nearly enough points to get us into the top 6 or else we would have been in the top 6.

Blaming one St Johnstone fixture that we weren’t even involved in rather than looking at a fairly poor 15 game run of our own as to why we finished where we did in the league is laughable.

We were in the top 6, we only got turfed out because of that game that never got played 😂 St Johnstone finished in a position that they never once occupied throughout a 30 game season. That’s laughable.

superfurryhibby
06-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Of course you can’t be bothered because it makes an utter nonsense of your weird claim that to show a run of poor form you need to include games before the run of poor games started - games which aren’t part of the poor run of form.

No I cannae be bothered with your selective take on things. The only thing weird on here are posters who want to always portray Hibs in a negative light and invent things in order to do that.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 10:41 AM
No I cannae be bothered with your selective take on things. The only thing weird on here are posters who want to always portray Hibs in a negative light and invent things in order to do that.

Again, it’s a selective take because it’s a poor run of form, the poor run has to start somewhere and it doesn’t start during a decent run of form 😂 it’s really not hard to comprehend although you’re doing a cracking job of making it look that way.

I await your brain combusting when you hear of winning runs, losing runs etc in future.

superfurryhibby
06-12-2020, 10:41 AM
We were in the top 6, we only got turfed out because of that game that never got played 😂 St Johnstone finished in a position that they never once occupied throughout a 30 game season. That’s laughable.

Ignoringp Ross’s first three games, where we took from 7 from 9 points is also quite bizarre. If I were finger pointing, I’d be taking into account the run under Heckingbottom that preceded Ross’s tenure. That was the reason why we finished 7th, not Ross’s run of 25 points from 18 games.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 10:42 AM

And we got turfed out because we didn’t pick up enough points where as St Johnstone did. If we hadn’t picked up so few points over such a big chunk of the season then we’d have been top 6. Quite simple really.

Borderhibbie76
06-12-2020, 10:49 AM
He’s going to get time, there’s no question of that. That result puts us 8 points clear of 5th I think so he’s not getting sacked any times soon and neither he should.

I think he’ll get plenty time to implement his own style of football, whatever that may be so he’ll get judged over a fair period of time.

Its only posts on here and social media that are starting this utter nonsense. Remember when Hearts sacked Neilson when they were 3rd. Be very careful what you wish for mate...we can easily slip back to the days if Fenlon, Coco and Butcher

Borderhibbie76
06-12-2020, 10:50 AM
And we got turfed out because we didn’t pick up enough points where as St Johnstone did. If we hadn’t picked up so few points over such a big chunk of the season then we’d have been top 6. Quite simple really.

And it wasn't JR that didn't pick up enough of those points kast season it was Hecky

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 10:56 AM
And it wasn't JR that didn't pick up enough of those points kast season it was Hecky

It was both - more so Heckingbottom but to suggest Ross didn’t contribute to it which is where all this has come from is nonsense.

Borderhibbie76
06-12-2020, 10:58 AM
It was both - more so Heckingbottom but to suggest Ross didn’t contribute to it is nonsense.

U seem to be a sole dissenting voice tbh mate on this subject so you xrack on convincing yourself your correct and everyone else is wrong

04Sauzee
06-12-2020, 11:02 AM
List of Hibs managers and their win % (jack ross is now on 52%)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

superfurryhibby
06-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Correct. If Ross took 25 points from 18 games and you extrapolate that across a season , we would have been comfortably top six.

Maybe a better gauge would be to look at Ross’s combined points tally from all his games, this season and last, that would be a reasonable sample?

54 points from 34 games by my calculation. Not bad really.

As has been stated before. It takes more than two transfer windows to build a side, esoecially when your starting point was so weak.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 11:05 AM
U seem to be a sole dissenting voice tbh mate on this subject so you xrack on convincing yourself your correct and everyone else is wrong

I don’t need to convince myself. We went on a 15 game running of picking up on average 1.2 points per game. That’s a bottom 6 run of form over pretty much 40% of the season and as such it contributed to us being bottom 6.

To claim it never is quite simply ridiculous.

Fergus52
06-12-2020, 11:09 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a Venn diagram of the posters in the summer that were saying our squad wasn't good enough to get into the top 6, and the posters who recently have been saying jack Ross isn't good enough (despite us having been in the top 4 all season with a supposedly bottom 6 squad).

I'd imagine there'd be a big overlap.

JimBHibees
06-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Thought we were the better team in the semi to be honest should clearly have won imo.

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Thought we were the better team in the semi to be honest should clearly have won imo.

Indeed. It wasn't clinical enough but as bad a performance as any Hibs side? We probably average 10 worse a season.

jacomo
06-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Wait til I tell you the US election was a giant fraud and Trump actually won 'by a lot'.

You can find anything you want on the internet, doesn't make it true. If Celtc are looking to make a change, I would suggest that they will either appoint a club legend or a manager who has already won a trophy or two. JR is neither.

Keith_M
06-12-2020, 02:39 PM
I don’t need to convince myself. We went on a 15 game running of picking up on average 1.2 points per game. That’s a bottom 6 run of form over pretty much 40% of the season and as such it contributed to us being bottom 6.

To claim it never is quite simply ridiculous.

Bit different to stating that...

He delivered a bottom six finish.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Bit different to stating that...

He delivered a bottom six finish.

It’s not really, he was manager for over half the season - infact that 15 game run accounted for half the season - and that’s where we ended up.

B.H.F.C
06-12-2020, 04:10 PM
It’s not really, he was manager for over half the season - infact that 15 game run accounted for half the season - and that’s where we ended up.

We were only two points off the top six when he was appointed.

We did improve but it’s not as if we jumped miles up the table from where he picked us up.

Can’t really argue with results this season with the one obvious exception.

wookie70
06-12-2020, 04:50 PM
When Jack Ross came in we were level on points with St Johnstone and played the same amount of games. At the end of that curtailed season Saints were one point behind us with a game in hand. Ross isn't to blame for a bottom six last season but our form wasn't that great either taken over all the games he was in charge of last season. That is in the past now though and we should be focussing on trying to finish second this year as one this is crystal clear, he is a far better manager than Lennon

wookie70
06-12-2020, 04:52 PM

We did improve but it’s not as if we jumped miles up the table from where he picked us up.

Two points off top six with a game in hand over the team in sixth and a better goal difference.

calumhibee1
06-12-2020, 06:29 PM

Absolutely.

There’s no complaints from me regarding this season.

But absolving him of any blame for finishing bottom six last season when he was in charge for 60% of our games played last season and we were on a pretty pish run for over 80% of they games he managed is quite simply ridiculous.

He delivered a bottom six finish with the not insignificant help of Paul Heckingbottom.

Northernhibee
06-12-2020, 06:34 PM
Absolutely.

But absolving him of any blame for finishing bottom six last season when he was in charge for 60% of our games played last season and we were on a pretty pish run for over 80% of they games he managed is quite simply ridiculous.

He delivered a bottom six finish with the not insignificant help of Paul Heckingbottom.

A big part of that problem too was that Heckingbottom expected Josh Vela to be the defensive midfielder that we needed to bring the team together and for whatever reason he flopped with us. We had a hideously unbalanced team for one, and he needed to get the confidence into the likes of Doidge and Newell who are now important players for us but looked lost when he came in.

hibbysam
06-12-2020, 10:18 PM
Absolutely.

You’re blaming Ross for finishing bottom 6, which we did so by 0.01 point per game, in other words not even 1 point. Ross had a 7/4/7 record, his predecessor had a 1/6/4 record. It’s fairly clear who caused the final outcome. If your not willing to blame an anomaly in regards to St Johnstone not having to travel to Ibrox at all (a place we had to go twice), then the blame would solely lie at the feet of Heckingbottom.

Ross steadied the ship in what was fast turning into a disastrous year, and has us well on track to deliver the goals that we expect this season. His tenure has overall been a success until now, and we seem to be getting stronger and stronger as we go on.

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 07:04 AM
You’re blaming Ross for finishing bottom 6, which we did so by 0.01 point per game, in other words not even 1 point. Ross had a 7/4/7 record, his predecessor had a 1/6/4 record. It’s fairly clear who caused the final outcome. If your not willing to blame an anomaly in regards to St Johnstone not having to travel to Ibrox at all (a place we had to go twice), then the blame would solely lie at the feet of Heckingbottom.

Ross steadied the ship in what was fast turning into a disastrous year, and has us well on track to deliver the goals that we expect this season. His tenure has overall been a success until now, and we seem to be getting stronger and stronger as we go on.

I’m apportioning some of the blame for him finishing bottom 6. I’ve said numerous times on the thread that Heckingbottom contributed.

If you want to absolve him of any then bash on but when you’re in charge for 60% of the season and go on a run befitting of a bottom 6 team for half the games that were played last season then that to me says you’re also partly culpable. I’m toiling to see how you can’t be tbh.

As someone said above, he came in two points off the top 6 and level on points with St Johnstone. It’s not like he came in with an absolute mountain to climb. In an 18 game period he never managed to pull away enough from St Johnstone. That to me is a Jack Ross issue, how can it be painted as a Heckingbottom issue when he was already gone?

Not looking at our own results over the last half of the season and blaming one game that St Johnstone didn’t have to play that we weren’t involved in is a cop out imo.

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2020, 07:13 AM
Much better on Saturday

Did not feel that way at half-time

Pitchfork and torch put back in the Garage for now :greengrin

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 07:34 AM
I’m apportioning some of the blame for him finishing bottom 6. If you want to absolve him of any then bash on but when you’re in charge for over half the season and go on a run befitting of a bottom 6 team for half the games that were played last season then that to me says you’re also curable.

Not looking at our own results over the last half of the season and blaming one game that St Johnston didn’t have to play that we weren’t involved in is a cop out imo.

Why was the run ‘befitting of a bottom 6 team’ when we literally finished the season in 6th and were moved down a place due to that game that wasn’t played. Completely ignoring the fact that we had to travel to ibrox twice when the side that jumped above us didn’t have to go once is the cop out.

Out of the 7 games he lost, 3 were against the old firm and 1 away to aberdeen. With a squad that he inherited. If you can’t look at it objectively then fair enough. Stats can be turned to suit any argument, last 11 games we were on course for a top 5 finish, last two games we were on relegation form. In reality we were in the top 6 every week of his time last season barring one week.

You’ve already said you can’t take to him and you don’t know why, you’ve listed a load of bullet points of his time so far and it couldn’t be more negative if you tried 😂 best manager we’ve had in recent times.

green day
07-12-2020, 07:42 AM
I’m apportioning some of the blame for him finishing bottom 6.

And I am sure JR agrees with that assessment, after all he is the manager so he takes the rough with the smooth.

He has had another window in the summer, and we are already performing at a higher and more consistent level than his results for last season.

We are in 3rd spot close to 2nd and with a very good chance of remaining there in the run up to the year end.

That is progress, in the league certainly.

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 07:47 AM
Why was the run ‘befitting of a bottom 6 team’ when we literally finished the season in 6th and were moved down a place due to that game that wasn’t played. Completely ignoring the fact that we had to travel to ibrox twice when the side that jumped above us didn’t have to go once is the cop out.

Out of the 7 games he lost, 3 were against the old firm and 1 away to aberdeen. With a squad that he inherited. If you can’t look at it objectively then fair enough. Stats can be turned to suit any argument, last 11 games we were on course for a top 5 finish, last two games we were on relegation form. In reality we were in the top 6 every week of his time last season barring one week.

You’ve already said you can’t take to him and you don’t know why, you’ve listed a load of bullet points of his time so far and it couldn’t be more negative if you tried 😂 best manager we’ve had in recent times.

We literally finished 6th? We literally finished the season in 7th. It’s in the final league table.

Also, Rangers had only won 3 of their 5 home games after the winter break. They lost their last home league game to Hamilton. Your argument revolves around an impossibility of a St Johnstone team in good form being unable to get anything from a Rangers side who had only won half their league games since returning from the winter break and had lost twice to relegated Hearts and also to Hamilton.

End of the day, whether you want to argue he got us into the top 6, he didn’t, that’s a fact. It’s almost as ridiculous as arguing Hearts didn’t get relegated.

Whether I’ve been able to massively take to him is neither here nor there. This debate is about whether he took us to a bottom six finish. Being in charge 18 of the 30 games and only been a couple points off the top 6 when he took us over but still not finishing in it is delivering a bottom 6 finish. It’s really that simple, even if you want to somehow claim we actually finished top 6.

It’s pretty impossible to debate the point with you when you have it in your head we finished in a league position that we didn’t finish in.

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 08:13 AM
We literally finished 6th? We literally finished the season in 7th. It’s in the final league table.

Also, Rangers had only won 3 of their 5 home games after the winter break. They lost their last home league game to Hamilton. Your argument revolves around an impossibility of a St Johnstone team in good form being unable to get anything from a Rangers side who had only won half their league games since returning from the winter break and had lost twice to relegated Hearts and also to Hamilton.

End of the day, whether you want to argue he got us into the top 6, he didn’t, that’s a fact. It’s almost as ridiculous as arguing Hearts didn’t get relegated.

Whether I’ve been able to massively take to him is neither here nor there. This debate is about whether he took us to a bottom six finish. Being in charge 18 of the 30 games and only been a couple points off the top 6 when he took us over but still not finishing in it is delivering a bottom 6 finish. It’s really that simple, even if you want to somehow claim we actually finished top 6.

It’s pretty impossible to debate the point with you when you have it in your head we finished in a league position that we didn’t finish in.

When the football stopped (ie finished) we were in 6th place, like we were for every single game bar one of Ross’ season. I’m not even sure you could have seen what would happen. You argue Rangers’ form after the winter break, however the St Johnstone game should’ve been played long before that. It was postponed at the start of November.

At no point did I say it was impossible, but it was far more likely them taking 0 or 1 points from ibrox, than them winning that game, they benefited massively from not playing that game for 6 months.

Also; the fact there was no split then I’m not overly sure why finishing 6th or 7th after 30 games would make a whole lot of difference either way. He had a specific job of steadying a rapidly sinking ship, and putting the wheels in motion for this season.

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 08:24 AM
When the football stopped (ie finished) we were in 6th place, like we were for every single game bar one of Ross’ season. I’m not even sure you could have seen what would happen. You argue Rangers’ form after the winter break, however the St Johnstone game should’ve been played long before that. It was postponed at the start of November.

At no point did I say it was impossible, but it was far more likely them taking 0 or 1 points from ibrox, than them winning that game, they benefited massively from not playing that game for 6 months.

Also; the fact there was no split then I’m not overly sure why finishing 6th or 7th after 30 games would make a whole lot of difference either way. He had a specific job of steadying a rapidly sinking ship, and putting the wheels in motion for this season.

I’m out.

If it’s now unfair to say Hibs finished bottom six because a Rangers V St Johnstone game was postponed in November when Rangers were in better form then I’ve nothing left to say :faf:

Also, not a chance when he came in 2 points off top 6 after 12 games that his job was to steady the ship. It was get top 6. When he came in he had 21 games to get there starting from 2 points off it. His job when he came in wasn’t to just steady the ship and build for this season.

jacomo
07-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Absolutely.

We were absolutely floundering under Hecky, who was given significant leeway to reshape the squad as he saw fit.

Our poor start is surely the main reason for our shortcomings last season.

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 08:36 AM
We were absolutely floundering under Hecky, who was given significant leeway to reshape the squad as he saw fit.

Our poor start is surely the main reason for our shortcomings last season.

Of course we were. And it definitely contributed to where we finished, I’ve said that a few times already.

But they 12 games that Hecky got aren’t the sole reason we finished where we did after 30.

hibbysam
07-12-2020, 08:42 AM
I’m out.

If it’s now unfair to say Hibs finished bottom six because a Rangers V St Johnstone game was postponed in November when Rangers were in better form then I’ve nothing left to say :faf:

Also, not a chance when he came in 2 points off top 6 after 12 games that his job was to steady the ship. It was get top 6. When he came in he had 21 games to get there starting from 2 points off it. His job when he came in wasn’t to just steady the ship and build for this season.

He came into a squad that was unbalanced, had players extremely out of form, and we had won 2 games in our opening 12. He was also 2 points above relegation.

flash
07-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Of course we were. And it definitely contributed to where we finished, I’ve said that a few times already.

But they 12 games that Hecky got aren’t the sole reason we finished where we did after 30.
Not sure the most rabid Jambo would defend their position as vehemently as you have the last few days.
A quite extraordinary performance.

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 09:16 AM
Not sure the most rabid Jambo would defend their position as vehemently as you have the last few days.

Cool story bro, thanks for sharing

Keith_M
07-12-2020, 09:17 AM

In the context of this thread, Calumn gets a B+ from me.

:wink:

flash
07-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Cool story bro, thanks for sharing

Three minutes you are slipping.

Andy74
07-12-2020, 10:17 AM
I’m out.

You’d already awarded a league title this November. Now 21 games is actually enough time to transform a team?

calumhibee1
07-12-2020, 10:19 AM
You’d already awarded a league title this November. Now 21 games is actually enough time to transform a team?

Did I? I must have missed the part where I gave Rangers the trophy.

I also missed the part where I said he should have transformed the team

I also missed the part where Rangers form this season is relevant to this entire discussion

In fact your whole post seems to be irrelevant nonsense - are you on the right thread? :confused:

I'm Spartacus
07-12-2020, 11:57 AM
See when you sit and look around us and the some of the absolute carnage going on, I feel we are as stable as any with JR in charge. Ok, Rangers are having a blinder, Celtic are a mess, Aberdeen have a predictable and expensive McInnes, Livi were doing grand and he walks? Motherwell have been handed 6 free points, Utd have won 5 in like 14 games, then our neighbours cannot stop signing dross!

A safe pair of hands and an 8/10 for me.

Northernhibee
11-12-2020, 11:20 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-aware-jack-ross-celtic-rumours-hope-contingency-plans-are-not-required-3064427

I'd let Celtic have him and we can get someone better. We'll take Stephen Robinson?

If Hibs seriously think Celtic would appoint Jack Ross who hasnt won a major trophy they are very naive.

I don't understand the constant manufacturing of hype from the club. Oli Shaw, Martin Boyle, Paul McGinn and now Jack Ross.

Can we just focus on winning football matches and trying to win trophies please.

Wait, you think we're not focusing on winning football matches? Far as I can see the hype around Jack Ross is coming from the media (and I know for a fact he's very well thought of behind the scenes at Celtic), and the hype for Boyle and McGinn have come from international call ups. The comment about Oli Shaw being one of the best young strikers in Europe was wide of the mark but from what I can see we have highly regarded members of staff at the club and we're answering honestly questions put to us about them.

Keith_M
11-12-2020, 11:28 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-aware-jack-ross-celtic-rumours-hope-contingency-plans-are-not-required-3064427

I'd let Celtic have him and we can get someone better. We'll take Stephen Robinson?

If Hibs seriously think Celtic would appoint Jack Ross who hasnt won a major trophy they are very naive.

I don't understand the constant manufacturing of hype from the club. Oli Shaw, Martin Boyle, Paul McGinn and now Jack Ross.

Can we just focus on winning football matches and trying to win trophies please.

All Hibs have done is respond to newspaper speculation.

TBH, I think you're just a troll whose sole purpose is to come on here and slag off Hibs.

CropleyWasGod
11-12-2020, 11:31 AM

You think the club have manufactured this?

Heisenberg
11-12-2020, 11:34 AM

The club haven’t manufactured any hype about Jack Ross whatsoever 😂

As for your comment about focusing on winning football matches? Well it looks like the club are doing that pretty well this season.

If you don’t rate our football under Jack Ross you’d be outraged at what Stephen Robinson would produce.

EI255
11-12-2020, 03:22 PM
Jack Ross going nowhere.

I'm sorry, he's a great boss for us, but, Celtic fans won't accept it. They'll definitely want a much, much bigger fish. They won't accept anything less.

Says a lot about JR and Hibs though.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hibs90
11-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Just me that finds these rumours absolutely bonkers?

Geo_1875
11-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Jack Ross going nowhere.

I'm sorry, he's a great boss for us, but, Celtic fans won't accept it. They'll definitely want a much, much bigger fish. They won't accept anything less.

Says a lot about JR and Hibs though.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Celtc have two choices. They can splash out, get a big name coach and try to rein in The Rangers. Or they can go for the cheap option and let their rivals disappear over the horizon. The last time that happened they did rebuild some of their stadium. Maybe it's time it was finished.

B.H.F.C
11-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Just me that finds these rumours absolutely bonkers?

Naw. This isn’t really meant as a criticism of JR, but I can believe anyone would think Celtic would be eying him as a replacement for Lennon.

He’s doing a decent enough job with us but their support would go bonkers if he got the job there any time soon.

chrisski33
12-12-2020, 12:00 AM
Maybe its just typical Celtic trying to unsettle us as we are close to them in the league now

Greenio
12-12-2020, 12:08 AM
Given the options, I know at least 3 Celtic fans that want Ross.

There's obviously something in it, given the reassurance of 'contingency plans' etc

Hope he doesnt go. I think he's shown himself to be a very good manager for Hibs and will only get better.

heretoday
12-12-2020, 12:14 AM
Ross has done great in a strange old year.

Onion
12-12-2020, 05:23 AM
Maybe its just typical Celtic trying to unsettle us as we are close to them in the league now

They do know we got beat in the Cup semi ???

Libby Hibby
12-12-2020, 06:27 AM
For me it’s just media speculation and as someone else says, perhaps unsettling tactics as we are close to Celtc but if he does go, I would love to see Yogi back

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2020, 08:42 AM
For me it’s just media speculation and as someone else says, perhaps unsettling tactics as we are close to Celtc but if he does go, I would love to see Yogi back

Me too, maybe Lennon in as his number 2?

Jones28
12-12-2020, 08:49 AM
It’s not as mad a suggestion as first thought. He’s had a steady progression through the leagues going from team to team, did well at Sunderland despite not actually achieving anything. He’s done well with us, more than adequately steadied the ship. Celtic might seem him as a steady-hand-on-the-tiller kind of option.

JimBHibees
12-12-2020, 08:53 AM
All Hibs have done is respond to newspaper speculation.

TBH, I think you're just a troll whose sole purpose is to come on here and slag off Hibs.

:agree: Pretty much I think.

Keith_M
12-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Me too, maybe Lennon in as his number 2?

Plus John Collins as Youth Team coach and Mixu as kit man

Eyrie
12-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Plus John Collins as Youth Team coach and Mixu as kit man

Collins' role on this dream team would be Director of Scouting.

Calderwood has to be a shoe in.

Since452
12-12-2020, 11:22 AM
For me it’s just media speculation and as someone elsye says, perhaps unsettling tactics as we are close to Celtc but if he does go, I would love to see Yogi back

Yogi? Dear god

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Yogi? Dear god

I know Jambos who wouldn't wish that on us.

Keith_M
12-12-2020, 04:49 PM
Anybody like to re-assess their previous votes?

green day
12-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Anybody like to re-assess their previous votes?

I doubt those trolls will be on Hibs net this evening, their faves won 6-1...........................

calumhibee1
12-12-2020, 05:43 PM

Pretty much how I see it.

Solid but unspectacular and doing enough. He’s close to doing a very good job - a win in the semi final would probably have nudged him up to a B+ and probably into the very good job bracket for me - but he’s also close to underachieving with recent results, especially the semi final, dragging him down towards that.

Hopefully we can put a run together over the next month or two. In a league where we are by a mile the fourth biggest spenders and we’ve also managed to splash a bit of cash whilst everyone else is toiling then 4th is the absolute minimum we should be expecting.

With our results since then I’d say he’s pushed himself into the very good job bradket now. :agree:

Jim44
12-12-2020, 05:49 PM
With our results since then I’d say he’s pushed himself into the very good job bradket now. :agree:

Glad to see you warming to JR, Calumhibee1. :aok:

Hiber-nation
12-12-2020, 05:53 PM
He keeps mentioning how he needs to keep telling the players how good they actually are. I really like that and they are growing in confidence.

hibby rae
12-12-2020, 05:56 PM
How many more games until we reach the half way point?

We have 32 points so far and in our best ever top level finish, points wise, we gained 67 points. So our games to points average must be ahead of that season by quite a bit right now.

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2020, 06:01 PM
How many more games until we reach the half way point?

We have 32 points so far and in our best ever top level finish, points wise, we gained 67 points. So our games to points average must be ahead of that season by quite a bit right now.

Well based on PPG we’re currently looking at 71-72 points over 38 games.

We’re 5 points away from our TOTAL points last season, which was over 30 games. On that trending we were looking at 46.8pts over 38 games.

We’re currently 2pts better off than that season under Lennon and our goal difference is 5 better.

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 06:25 PM

We’re 5 points away from our TOTAL points last season, which was over 30 games. On that trending we were looking at 46.8pts over 38 games.

We’re currently 2pts better off than that season under Lennon and our goal difference is 5 better.

Interesting.....Didn’t Lennon go on quite an incredible second half of that season though ? Would that not have made quite a difference

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Interesting.....Didn’t Lennon go on quite an incredible second half of that season though ? Would that not have made quite a difference

He did indeed once he brought in Kamberi, Allan and MacLaren

houstonhibbee
12-12-2020, 06:26 PM

Were unlikely to maintain that average after the split though so maybe a bit overstated. Maybe 68-70 might be more accurate

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Were unlikely to maintain that average after the split though so maybe a bit overstated. Maybe 68-70 might be more accurate

Yeah I’m more impressed by the fact that we can beat last seasons tally after 19 games.