PDA

View Full Version : McCann and McNamara

Ozyhibby
24-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Two players that I definitely think we should be looking at. McCann looks like a decent tackler and puts himself about and McNamara looks a great prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
24-11-2020, 08:44 PM
I mentioned McCann in the summer but the replies seemed to swing from not proven enough to out of our reach already.

He's a quality player imo.

weecounty hibby
24-11-2020, 08:45 PM
No chance for either. Bigot twins both looking at McCann and McNamara will head back to Millwall. Both do look good players though

Brightside
24-11-2020, 08:49 PM
Two players that I definitely think we should be looking at. McCann looks like a decent tackler and puts himself about and McNamara looks a great prospect.

McCann is a seven figure player. Not coming to us.

jonny
24-11-2020, 08:51 PM
I think I might be in the minority in relation to McCann but I just don't see the hype surrounding him.
I think he's a decent young player but no more than that. Admittedly I've only ever seen him properly when playing against us but I've never felt like he's dominated the midfield or been a particular thorn in our side.
I think the lad Campbell at Motherwell is a far better player.
Agree that young McNamara looks the part, although Jamie Murphy gave him a rough night.

Tyler Durden
24-11-2020, 08:53 PM
McNamara looks neat and tidy but nothing special IMO. Didn’t excel tonight.

McCann is a good player but similar to Greg Docherty - might make it down south to the Championship at some point but has a long way to go.

CMurdoch
24-11-2020, 08:55 PM
No chance for either. Bigot twins both looking at McCann and McNamara will head back to Millwall. Both do look good players though

Yeah, Millwall will be delighted at how well McNamara is developing but not surprised. He wasn't just a shot in the dark by Davidson. He was previously coached by him at the club and they have obviously done him a favour by letting him have the kid on loan. It has worked out for all parties.

Re McCann, not sure what level he is at. Hibs and Aberdeen are a step up from St Johnstone, the English Championship a step up from that, the Old Firm a step up from that with the EPL at the top of the pile.

matty_f
24-11-2020, 08:57 PM
I thought they were both decent tonight.

CMurdoch
24-11-2020, 08:59 PM
McNamara looks neat and tidy but nothing special IMO. Didn’t excel tonight.

McCann is a good player but similar to Greg Docherty - might make it down south to the Championship at some point but has a long way to go.

McCann doesn't have the power of Docherty but is 3 years younger so has time to bulk up a bit.

CMurdoch
24-11-2020, 09:05 PM
I think I might be in the minority in relation to McCann but I just don't see the hype surrounding him.
I think he's a decent young player but no more than that. Admittedly I've only ever seen him properly when playing against us but I've never felt like he's dominated the midfield or been a particular thorn in our side.
I think the lad Campbell at Motherwell is a far better player.
Agree that young McNamara looks the part, although Jamie Murphy gave him a rough night.

I agree with you. He obviously has ability but not sufficient that he immediately sticks out when you watch him in a game.
He has 18 months on Campbell so could improve significantly in that time.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Plenty nuggets out there just now

We just need an Alan Stubbs # 2 to unearth them

Dunfermline look to have a few decent prospects as well

Diclonius
25-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Are either related to Neil/Jackie?

easty
25-11-2020, 08:46 AM
McCann is a seven figure player. Not coming to us.

They won’t get seven figures for him.

easty
25-11-2020, 08:50 AM

McCann wouldn’t be a good signing for Rangers or Celtc. I don’t even see why they’d be interested. He doesn’t get into either of those teams just now, and if Celtc are looking to close the gap and win the league this season, he’s definitely not the kind of signing that’ll help.

Brightside
25-11-2020, 08:53 AM
They won’t get seven figures for him.

I expect him to go down to the Eng championship. I agree its pointless him going to the Old Firm.

lucky
25-11-2020, 09:14 AM
McCann is nowhere near a million pound player, if St Johnstone got offered £250k they’d more than likely deal.

Leitherhibs
25-11-2020, 09:41 AM
McCann is nowhere near a million pound player, if St Johnstone got offered £250k they’d more than likely deal.

I can absolutely, categorically confirm they wouldn't take that deal. I'm not saying I believe he's worth a million but St J would look for something in the region of that for him.

McNamara is a possibility if Milwall don't fancy keeping him, but I suspect he'll be good enough for their first team soon, if not already.

weecounty hibby
25-11-2020, 10:27 AM
McCann wouldn’t be a good signing for Rangers or Celtc. I don’t even see why they’d be interested. He doesn’t get into either of those teams just now, and if Celtc are looking to close the gap and win the league this season, he’s definitely not the kind of signing that’ll help.
Getting into their teams has never stopped any if them signing players in the past. It's what they do. Sign decent players for little cash. As long as it weakens other teams

chippy
25-11-2020, 10:40 AM

Those 2 plus Alan Campbell and we’ve got ourselves a team

Lago
25-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Yeah, Millwall will be delighted at how well McNamara is developing but not surprised. He wasn't just a shot in the dark by Davidson. He was previously coached by him at the club and they have obviously done him a favour by letting him have the kid on loan. It has worked out for all parties.

Re McCann, not sure what level he is at. Hibs and Aberdeen are a step up from St Johnstone, the English Championship a step up from that, the Old Firm a step up from that with the EPL at the top of the pile.
Hibs didn't look a step up last night that's for sure.

Since90+2
25-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Those 2 plus Alan Campbell and we’ve got ourselves a team

Never happening.

scoopyboy
25-11-2020, 11:23 AM
I expect him to go down to the Eng championship. I agree its pointless him going to the Old Firm.

He would never survive in the English Championship, far too physical for him.

Not aimed at you but I sometimes shake my head when people think players who aren't good enough for the Premiership will play in the Championship instead. It's not as easy as that, not many lightweights in that division. Six foot plus and built like a brick ****house and you have half a chance.

Hiber-nation
25-11-2020, 11:42 AM
He would never survive in the English Championship, far too physical for him.

Not aimed at you but I sometimes shake my head when people think players who aren't good enough for the Premiership will play in the Championship instead. It's not as easy as that, not many lightweights in that division. Six foot plus and built like a brick ****house and you have half a chance.

Yep we see quite a few highly rated laddies going down South to the Championship and within a few months maybe punted out on loan to a lower league then ending up back here.

If he goes for 7 figures I'd be absolutely amazed. It's not that difficult to get a cap for N Ireland.

aljo7-0
25-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Are either related to Neil/Jackie?

Don't know about McNamara but Ali McCann is not related to Neil.

His Dad is a Rangers fan, from Northern Ireland, who was happy for his boys to support a local team. Ali and his brother Lewis (striker at the Pars) both supported Hibs as kids.

scoopyboy
25-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Yep we see quite a few highly rated laddies going down South to the Championship and within a few months maybe punted out on loan to a lower league then ending up back here.

If he goes for 7 figures I'd be absolutely amazed. It's not that difficult to get a cap for N Ireland.

They will get nowhere near a million for him.

Transfer fees for Scottish clubs almost appear directly proportional to crowd size.

Rangers and Celtic get more than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen who in turn get more than say Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Killie.

Couldn't hazard a guess at SJ's record sale but thinking it can't be that high.

scoopyboy
25-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Don't know about McNamara but Ali McCann is not related to Neil.

His Dad is a Rangers fan, from Northern Ireland, who was happy for his boys to support a local team. Ali and his brother Lewis (striker at the Pars) both supported Hibs as kids.

I think McNamara is Irish so certainly not a direct relation to Jackie.

Unseen work
25-11-2020, 03:05 PM
Both are good players but neither really stood out for me last night to be honest.

McCann is a good centre mid that gets between the lines, breaks forward and scores goals. Not sure how good he is when the opposition have the ball.

Is he the type we need? Magennis sounds like he will be similar but with the added physical element and aggression. Don’t get me wrong he’d be a good signing by st Johnstone would try hold on to a big fee for him which I can’t see us playing.

I really like McNamara as a right wing back, but that’s where we play Boyle in a 352. Would he be good enough defensively at right back? I imagine he would or if not would improve into the role.

Would really like to see us go for Cammy Kerr.

Iggy Pope
25-11-2020, 06:20 PM
I think McNamara is Irish so certainly not a direct relation to Jackie.

He’s got the same looks and gait though. A throwback!

allmodcons
25-11-2020, 06:33 PM
I thought they were both average last night.

McCann wasn't a standout and McNamara, whilst decent, got skinned by Murphy on a number occasions.