PDA

View Full Version : Positives and negatives from today

matty_f
21-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Now that the disappointment of losing a late equaliser has subsidised a bit, what can we take from today?

Positives:
Kevin Nisbet again showed what he’s all about with a terrific goal and some great movement throughout the game
We found ways to trouble Celtic, and with a bit more composure could have added more goals
Took a two goal lead at home to the champions
Didn’t look much like conceding for most of the match
The majority of the second half we were comfortable
We defended well for the vast majority of the game
Marciano

Negatives:
Didn’t think we were nearly aggressive enough in the first half (improved after half time)
Not composed enough on the ball throughout - would argue this contributed to both Celtic’s goals
Basic errors were punished, as you’d expect but we contributed massively to dropping the points

The game was there to be won, obviously the referee gifted them a penalty and a route back into the game but that wouldn’t have mattered if we cleared our lines properly. Ultimately that’s the frustration from today, we should really be sitting back reflecting on a good performance and a great result.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2020, 05:42 PM
They still haven’t beaten us in the league at ER since 2014

Mikey_1875
21-11-2020, 05:43 PM
Agree with all that especially the last part, would have been a fantastic lift for everyone after recent disappointments. Would add Mackie to the positives think he is a certainty to start midweek.

Pretty Boy
21-11-2020, 05:47 PM
I'd have bitten your hand off for a point before the game so to get that is a positive. Having observed the level of performance Celtic gave it's a negative to have dropped 2 points.

That was there for the taking and a combination of factors prevented us doing so. There were several good performances but a lack of composure and a bit of panic late on cost us. I said repeatedly on the match thread that we were frantic every time we had the ball and that's contributed to a shanked clearance when there was time to show a bit composure and get it right.

Frustrated more than angry sums it up for me. Plenty positives to take and plenty to work on as well.

matty_f
21-11-2020, 05:59 PM
I'd have bitten your hand off for a point before the game so to get that is a positive. Having observed the level of performance Celtic gave it's a negative to have dropped 2 points.

That was there for the taking and a combination of factors prevented us doing so. There were several good performances but a lack of composure and a bit of panic late on cost us. I said repeatedly on the match thread that we were frantic every time we had the ball and that's contributed to a shanked clearance when there was time to show a bit composure and get it right.

Frustrated more than angry sums it up for me. Plenty positives to take and plenty to work on as well.
Agree with that.

neil7908
21-11-2020, 06:06 PM
After the initial extreme frustration of dropping 2 points, it's a plus in the managers column for me.

But we really need to sort ourselves out in the big games. That's Hearts, Aberdeen and now Celtic that we've let ourselves down.

We won't win every game against our rivals but we need to get much better at seeing ourselves games.

04Sauzee
21-11-2020, 06:09 PM
Positively need Newell to sign an extension to his contract.

Thought Mallan was a positive today, actually had a but dig about him

matty_f
21-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Positively need Newell to sign an extension to his contract.

Thought Mallan was a positive today, actually had a but dig about him

Mallan had a good game, he’s been in good form this season.

ancient hibee
21-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Biggest frustration was that we had a gilt-edged chance to win it at the end but lack of composure did for us again.A tale of two left backs in the opposing penalty areas. One bangs it into the net and the other one skies it over the bag.Pity.

Peevemor
21-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Mallan had a good game, he’s been in good form this season.Nonsense. He's pish. I read it on here.

18Craig75
21-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Positive was our tightness during open play. It looked like Celtic could’ve played all day without scoring until we gifted them two.

Negative - we lack players to put their foot on the ball and control the tempo and flow of the game.

Also thought today showed how valuable Doidge is to us, nothing was sticking first half.

We’re a Declan Gallagher (nasty centre half) and Alan Campbell (all action, energetic centre midfielder) away from properly challenging aberdeen.

vercol36
21-11-2020, 06:29 PM
One of the external positives from the game is that it is quite clear Celtic are not going to win 10 in a row.

Of course, the main negative from this outcome is that it will probably be Rangers winning it instead.

hibbysam
21-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Positive was our tightness during open play. It looked like Celtic could’ve played all day without scoring until we gifted them two.

Negative - we lack players to put their foot on the ball and control the tempo and flow of the game.

Also thought today showed how valuable Doidge is to us, nothing was sticking first half.

We’re a Declan Gallagher (nasty centre half) and Alan Campbell (all action, energetic centre midfielder) away from properly challenging aberdeen.

Gallagher was hopeless against Celtic before the break and motherwells defensive record is worse than ours. He’s not the messiah.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2020, 06:37 PM
The positive for me was the performance level and the acceptance that to get anything from the game, everyone has to be on it. The negative is why we can't do that week in and week out against "lesser " opposition.

A Hi-Bee
21-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Sometimes there will just be more questions than answers!
:greengrin

Scorrie
21-11-2020, 07:22 PM
Sean Mackie was a big positive. Looks a real prospect and didn’t look out of place against the champions

matty_f
21-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Sean Mackie was a big positive. Looks a real prospect and didn’t look out of place against the champions

Yeah , I should have listed him in the positives category. I had him as my man of the match, thought he was excellent.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2020, 07:24 PM
Still pretty annoyed at throwing two points away today. I feel we lost the two points rather than Celtic gaining the point, they were garbage in the second half until the last 10 minutes.

I would have taken a point before the game though but the circumstances of how that draw's come about isn't great.

hibsbollah
21-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Everything I’d been thinking has already been said, I’d also add that Murphy was very good throughout in addition to the goal. Definitely more positives than negatives today.

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Mackie was our best player for me.

Murphy getting off the mark was also positive.

Negative for me is just general, it just feels like there is something missing. There are obvious gaps in quality but I don’t think we really play with any freedom or enjoyment. Was an odd game because I couldn’t believe we were 2-0 up. But then I couldn’t believe we threw it away once we were!

h1bs4life
21-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Positives thought we set up ok , Celtic with the amount money they spend on players are always going to have the bulk of possession.
Murphy getting sharper took his goal well. Nisbet back on the score sheet although he missed penalty took his goal well .Very good performance from Mackie.

Negatives loosing 2 goals due to lack of concentration from the 2 centre backs. One a youngster which has happened couple of times recently and one who should know better.
Six what I would class as big games this season and no wins.
Celtic P2 D1 L1 . Rangers P1 D1 . Aberdeen P2 L2. Hertz P1 L1 according to the Uber poster crew no Hibs supporter should still be annoyed about getting beat in the Semi final.

gaz1875
21-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Nonsense. He's pish. I read it on here.

Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different.

Nicho87
21-11-2020, 08:36 PM
With Mackie performance gives us an argument for using Stevenson in midfield

04Sauzee
21-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different.
Closed people down all game, you obviously see it different.
He definitely wasn't pish

kaimendhibs
21-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different.[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102] He played very well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 09:11 PM

His booking was a ‘good’ foul. Absolutely the right thing to do. Something we don’t usually do!

gaz1875
21-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Closed people down all game, you obviously see it different.
He definitely wasn't pish

He closes players down after they've passed the ball, I must see it differently.

wookie70
22-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Mallan was pish, I thought he was miles of the pace never closes anyone down and when he does make tackles he gets booked, He scores the odd great goal but needs to get some speed into his play. You obviously see it different. First half particularly, Mallan was the only midfielder to rush opposition players. The rest of our midfield watched from a distance allowing Celtc to get into our final third before closing. Looked to be planned so Ross was at fault there but it did work as Celtc couldn't finish any of the good shooting opportunities we gifted them. Mackie didn't get the memo as he pressed and harried the whole game breaking up countless attacks and also being a threat too.

Bobby's Cinema
22-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Nisbet getting back in the goals the biggest positive for me.

You start to worry for him slightly after the pen miss but then one chance BANG goal. What a bonus having a striker like that.

The goalie also had a fine game looked full of confidence after his performance with the national team.

In terms of negatives - for me we were on top having a great spell in the game around the 70 minute mark. There were a few occasions on the break Boyle sticks in my mind where we were on the break and pretty much stood on the ball and tried to retain possession. OK after long periods without the ball - but I really felt at that stage we had it in us to go for a third that would have killed it. They looked totally out of ideas and we gave them encouragement slightly to get back it, however ludicrous the pen award may have been.

Positives to take but Scratching my head at how we managed to throw that away and I am sure JR will be looking at all of that.

easty
22-11-2020, 09:51 AM

I’d take Gallagher as a back up to Hanlon and Porteous. I don’t think he’s a better player though.

Allan Campbell would be a great addition, but I’m pretty sure we’ve missed the boat there.

Not So Young
22-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Thats my take on it

JimBHibees
22-11-2020, 11:33 AM
I’d take Gallagher as a back up to Hanlon and Porteous. I don’t think he’s a better player though.

Allan Campbell would be a great addition, but I’m pretty sure we’ve missed the boat there.

Difficult to argue that Gallacher an excellent performer for the national team isn't better than the u21 player in that position.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 11:35 AM
Difficult to argue that Gallacher an excellent performer for the national team isn't better than the u21 player in that position.

He isn’t doing it week in week out though. Would you take Shankland over Nisbet based on that logic? I certainly wouldn’t.

JimBHibees
22-11-2020, 11:38 AM
He isn’t doing it week in week out though. Would you take Shankland over Nisbet based on that logic? I certainly wouldn’t.

Shankland isn't an excellent performer at national level.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Shankland isn't an excellent performer at national level.

He’s in the squad ahead of Nisbet though, just like Gallagher with Porteous. That’s not a way to measure someone’s ability. Watching Gallagher weekly and especially at home to Celtic, and watching our defensive unit week in week out, including for 90% of yesterday’s game, then I wouldn’t be in a rush to swap him over.

neil7908
22-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Another positive for me is that I think we've found a formation that suits us.

Magennis to come into side and Doidge an option from the bench as well.

Andy74
22-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Another positive for me is that I think we've found a formation that suits us.

Magennis to come into side and Doidge an option from the bench as well.

No danger Doidge should be benched.

B.H.F.C
22-11-2020, 01:56 PM
No danger Doidge should be benched.

Why? We had a better shape yesterday even if our quality on the ball was poor. Doidge, on this seasons form, certainly isn’t undroppable.

Peevemor
22-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Why? We had a better shape yesterday even if our quality on the ball was poor. Doidge, on this seasons form, certainly isn’t undroppable.Yet others were accusing Hibs of being too timid going forward, something Doidge can't be accused of.

wookie70
22-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Why? We had a better shape yesterday even if our quality on the ball was poor. Doidge, on this seasons form, certainly isn’t undroppable.

I agree with that. Doidge looks to me that he is playing injured or suffering from a bit of a lack of confidence recently. It gives us more options having one up top given how short we are on strikers.

B.H.F.C
22-11-2020, 02:10 PM
I agree with that. Doidge looks to me that he is playing injured or suffering from a bit of a lack of confidence recently. It gives us more options having one up top given how short we are on strikers.

I hope we go with the same again on Tuesday, even if Doidge is available.

Murphy and Boyle aren’t going to spend nearly as much time running back the way so it’ll be more 433 than 451. Even allowing for that, Boyle won the penalty, Murphy got a goal and an assist and Nisbet scored. Not a bad return from them.

18Craig75
22-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Just mentioned him as a steady centre half that has a nasty streak. I think we should be playing 3 at the back and there’s a space for someone like him alongside Hanlon and Porto.

We’re too nice.

H18 SFR
22-11-2020, 02:39 PM
You’ve got to remember that we’ve just watched Gallagher play the middle of a three that included a Manchester Utd player and an Arsenal player. If he came to us he’d be playing between Porteous and Hanlon. Ryan would still be as rash and raw and Paul would still have the ability to sclaff clearances straight to an opponent.

Gallagher wouldn’t revolutionise our defence.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 04:23 PM
I hope we go with the same again on Tuesday, even if Doidge is available.

Murphy and Boyle aren’t going to spend nearly as much time running back the way so it’ll be more 433 than 451. Even allowing for that, Boyle won the penalty, Murphy got a goal and an assist and Nisbet scored. Not a bad return from them.

Far better balance than 4-4-2. Unfortunately someone is going to have to miss out, but when Celtic can drop Edouard, Rangers Morelos, Aberdeen Cosgrove then I’ve no doubt we should be able to drop Doidge if it means we are better balanced.