PDA

View Full Version : Celtic supporter on Hibs

Pagan Hibernia
20-11-2020, 05:37 PM
https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-hibs-and-hibs-supporters-david-potter/

interesting. The guy can’t even get our year of formation correct mind you.

Bostonhibby
20-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Lesser greens, I'm amazed they managed to remember to spell Celtc with an I.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

oneone73
20-11-2020, 05:53 PM
What a load of pish. No wonder we hate those ********s.

Scottie
20-11-2020, 05:53 PM
Just another deluded fud, nothing to see here move along.

hibsbollah
20-11-2020, 06:00 PM
We are ‘defined by an obsession with Hearts’. That won’t go down well :faf:

Its actually quite well written and researched, but then goes off and becomes about his opinions. Harry Swan a dictator? I think he needs some evidence there.

Jamesconnolly
20-11-2020, 06:07 PM
What a lot of bollocks.

we are hibs
20-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Seems like its written by a typical weegie with a chip on his shoulder towards the capital.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Pishy article. Lightweight guff.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Its actually quite well written and researched, but then goes off and becomes about his opinions. Harry Swan a dictator? I think he needs some evidence there.

It’s not really well researched. Have you read what he has to say about the demise of the first Hibs. That is utter gash. Sharing a rebel song, songbook, nah. Cliched, partizan pish. What you would expect from a motivated, semi literate football fan :greengrin

Pretty Boy
20-11-2020, 06:27 PM
It's good to see the 'we were first to wear the green' song annoys them. The attempt to dismiss it just proves that.

Truth be told I probably am jealous of Celtic's success, as I am that of Rangers, Liverpool or Real Madrid. Their sense of insecurity and annoyance that they are irrevocably unoriginal outweighs that tenfold though.

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-11-2020, 06:27 PM
I met David potter once. He’s a retired teacher who lives in Kirkcaldy. Obviously written for the Celtic gallery, but he’s a decent and civilised bloke.

Kato
20-11-2020, 06:40 PM
I met David potter once. He’s a retired teacher who lives in Kirkcaldy. Obviously written for the Celtic gallery, but he’s a decent and civilised bloke.

....who imagines loads of stuff about Hibs that isn't actually true.

Carheenlea
20-11-2020, 06:48 PM
That essay is embarrassingly bad, even by condescending and glory hunting Celtic fans already low standards.

An earlier poster says this guy is a retired teacher? Christ almighty :hilarious

The Count
20-11-2020, 06:49 PM
I thought our first teams contained Catholic Highlanders who also lived in the Cowgate.Did one of our first Presidents not come from Morar which is certainly not in Ireland

superfurryhibby
20-11-2020, 06:49 PM
It's good to see the 'we were first to wear the green' song annoys them. The attempt to dismiss it just proves that.

Truth be told I probably am jealous of Celtic's success, as I am that of Rangers, Liverpool or Real Madrid. Their sense of insecurity and annoyance that they are irrevocably unoriginal outweighs that tenfold though.

I doubt their fans care about being unoriginal tbh. As I read that, I imagined what Hibs might have evolved into, a parallel universe scenario where Hibs turned pro and became the Edinburgh based main rival to the Hun. It could have all been so different.

Maybe all those titles and cup wins would have become boring after a while though. Hibs have won 4 trophies in my 50 years of going to matches, and I can name the dates, teams, scorers from every one of them.

I’m being serious when I say this, but the only Celtic triumph that perhaps comes close in terms of sheer emotion to 21.5.16 is the European Cup. In fact, that is probably when Glasgow saw it’s last football based mass street gathering related to football.

James Stephen
20-11-2020, 06:53 PM
People will obviously dismiss lots of it because it isnt flattering to us, but some of it does ring true.

Lots of the rest of it is pish, but lets face it when it comes to football supporters, there are lots of different versions of the truth, and pish is often used to describe truths we just dont like about our club.

Since90+2
20-11-2020, 07:05 PM
People will obviously dismiss lots of it because it isnt flattering to us, but some of it does ring true.

Lots of the rest of it is pish, but lets face it when it comes to football supporters, there are lots of different versions of the truth, and pish is often used to describe truths we just dont like about our club.

Which parts do you think ring true?

EI255
20-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Read this stuff 100 times. Patronising crap. Least he admits we were the first to wear the green and also have the best songs. And James Connolly loved Hibernian. Not Celtic.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

SaulGoodman
20-11-2020, 07:35 PM

I’m going to take him at face value and assume he’s a fud.

Steve20
20-11-2020, 07:38 PM
That was nothing but a piece of crap. Typical Celtic drivel.

James Stephen
20-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Which parts do you think ring true?

Lots.

Hibs have been consistently and frustratingly plundered for players and managers by celtic.

What could / would have Jock Stein achieved had he stayed at Hibs?

Celtic werent really to blame for Hibs problems in 1890, although they certainly contributed, and were a major factor.

Hibs have suffered in cup finals more at the hands of Celtic than any other team.

Hibs should have won the Coronation Cup, and its one that really wrankles with me actually.

The 1914 and 23 finals were very much 'irish' affairs, with a sense of camaraderie between the clubs and fans, not to mention that the two managers were brothers (alec and willie maley).

I would say he is wrong on the year of Hibs founding (obviously), wrong on his geography of Edinburgh being where Hibs support comes from and his point about James Connolly is just stupid and without foundation completely.

Harry swann may well have been a dictator, i dont know - but as the discussion on here showed a few weeks back, he was not an uncontroversial character, and as was shown by the same discussion, there were Hibs fans who didnt like him. That obviously doesnt diminish his enormous achievements at Hibs, but i can understand why Celtic fans were/are annoyed or at least puzzled by his behaviour towards their flying of the Tricolour at Parkhead.

I also think he misrepresents the inspiration that Hibs gave to their Glasgow brethren in setting Celtic up.

So like i say, plenty rings true, some is pish - imo.

Kato
20-11-2020, 08:17 PM
Lots.

Hibs have been consistently and frustratingly plundered for players and managers by celtic.

Celtic werent really to blame for Hibs problems in 1890, although they certainly contributed, and were a major factor.

Hibs have suffered in cup finals more at the hands of Celtic than any other team.

Hibs should have won the Coronation Cup, and its one that really wrankles with me actually.

The 1914 and 23 finals were very much 'irish' affairs, with a sense of camaraderie between the clubs and fans, not to mention that the two managers were brothers (alec and willie maley).

I would say he is wrong on the year of Hibs founding (obviously), wrong on his geography of Edinburgh being where Hibs support comes from and his point about James Connolly is just stupid and without foundation completely.

Harry swann may well have been a dictator, i dont know - but as the discussion on here showed a few weeks back, he was not an uncontroversial character, and as was shown by the same discussion, there were Hibs fans who didnt like him. That obviously doesnt diminish his enormous achievements at Hibs, but i can understand why Celtic fans were/are annoyed or at least puzzled by his behaviour towards their flying of the Tricolour at Parkhead.

I also think he misrepresents the inspiration that Hibs gave to their Glasgow brethren in setting Celtic up.

I agree with everything you say other than Swan and the flag thing. Swan was in charge on the day the vote was passed to ratify a decision made by the Referees Committee, which they had arrived at via a request from the Glasgow Magistrates. Swan was only overseeing a meeting rubber stamping a decision outwith his hands. Remember the decision also covered Rangers flying the Union Flag at Ibrox as well.

James Stephen
20-11-2020, 08:27 PM
I agree with everything you say other than Swan and the flag thing. Swan was in charge on the day the vote was passed to ratify a decision made by the Referees Committee, which they had arrived at via a request from the Glasgow Magistrates. Swan was only overseeing a meeting rubber stamping a decision outwith his hands. Remember the decision also covered Rangers flying the Union Flag at Ibrox as well.

No problem, i bow to your superior knowledge on that one. But given the common story, i can understand why celtic fans - albeit ignorantly - react they way they do.

But yeah, i accept youre right and he is wrong on that one. Convenient for Glasgow press to have an Edinburgh bogeyman to blame.

Kato
20-11-2020, 08:31 PM
No problem, i bow to your superior knowledge on that one. But given the common story, i can understand why celtic fans - albeit ignorantly - react they way they do.

But yeah, i accept youre right and he is wrong on that one. Convenient for Glasgow press to have an Edinburgh bogeyman to blame.

....just to add - the whole thing was kicked off as Celtic fans had a few pitch invasions in the previous months. During an OF game at Parkhead with the old Rangers winning 0-4 their fans invaded the park with a linesman being assaulted and attacked by more than one of the invaders.

The fact that that aspect is rarely spoken about, whereas Swan is regularly portrayed as "leading a campaign to stop Celtic flying the tricolour" speaks volumes about the character of some of their fans.

Pagan Hibernia
20-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Lots.

on the geography of Hibs support, I know it’s lazy but is there not an element of truth in it. I’ve always felt the north and east of the city is Hibs territory

James Stephen
20-11-2020, 09:12 PM
on the geography of Hibs support, I know it’s lazy but is there not an element of truth in it. I’ve always felt the north and east of the city is Hibs territory

I dont know that there is a right answer as such, particularly now where people move around a lot more, but i always think of Leith (and overspill in north Edinburgh) and the southside (and its overspill) as being where Hibs support was concentrated, traditionally.

And of course, Hibs support for the first 50 - 75 years of the clubs existence was very concetrated in the old town and southside, and in Leith (basically where the irish immigrants had settled in the 19th century).

Winston Ingram
20-11-2020, 09:28 PM

From a club who’s attendances halved when Rangers died🥳

Stuart93
21-11-2020, 11:16 AM

That a strange one eh. If anything we aren’t obsessed enough with them

A Hi-Bee
21-11-2020, 11:17 AM
**** ra celic

:agree:

overdrive
21-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Condescending weegie guff. “Hibs supporters came out in their masses from the grim Leith tenements”... a bit rich considering the state of a lot of Celtic fans.

LaMotta
21-11-2020, 12:31 PM

"Well researched" is not a phrase that should be attributed to that article.:greengrin

A quick skim read and its riddled with inaccuracies, from 1874 reference, to claiming they stole Mowbray from us ( they got him from West Brom), to claiming Hibs fans have ever sung about dead cats or that we currently share rebel songs with them.:cb

Jones28
21-11-2020, 12:57 PM
I’ve never read so much *****. Complete and utter ****ing nonsense.

superfurryhibby
21-11-2020, 12:57 PM
To save anyone reading this gash. Here’s a flavour of how much rubbish is in it.

Gets the date of our formation wrong, saying 1874.

Dismisses the story about Celtic poaching our players and mentions this taking place in 1890-91.
In fact Celtic’s first ever league game in 1888, they fielded 5 players poached from Hibs and were soon to be joined by another group, including the Maley bothers. All Induced by the money on offer.

He talks about Edinburgh being far from a football city.

Hibs fans are jealous of Celtic’s success .

Hibs share Celtic’s anti establishment stance ( ignoring of the current ownership of CFC) and we share some of their paranoia.

Some ridic anecdote about having dinner with posh Hibs family from Granton they don’t really like football but they seem to be Hibs fans and react to Mercer’s takeover with the cry of “that man shall never have our club” comparing this the more profane reaction had they been weegies.

Hibs banned the tv cameras from ER when Celtic won the league there in 1977, out of spite because we’ve always been bitter ( ignoring the ongoing Bukta row with the BBC and Tom Hart).

We share some of their rebel songs...funny that because I’ve not heard on at ER since the 80’s.

We are the poor man’s Celtic.

We sing a song about them eating dead CATS and raking buckets and that would affront the memory of James Connolly ( who in his over stimulated imaginings can converted ( his word) to being a Celtic supporter- he does admit this was made up, lol).

We are bitter about our regular failed ventures into the transfer market, bottle cup finals and semi finals, and are characterised by mediocrity.

In summary, the article is a loadae poorly informed, cliche ridden, stinking pish. The patronising haverings of a deluded weegie glory hunting fud who probably doesn’t even go to matches.

How any Hibs fan on her can seriously give any credibility to this kind of pish is even weirder than the article itself:shocked:

Eyrie
21-11-2020, 01:40 PM
I've never sung about Celtc fans eating dead cats. I've always sung about them eating dead rats because they think it's a treat.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Even the fact that (according to him) we are their “second favourite team” makes me feel a wee bit dirty

Fanforlife
21-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Regarding the Connelly, Irish,Swan flag illusion this has been done to death and every time has been proven to be a load of Celtic nonsense, perhaps one of these days one of them will get it right,wont hold my breath for that happening though.GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Oh so typical from the Celtc angle. Self entitled patronising crap which as usual comes from a mindset which can't comprehend the idea that dislike of Celtic can be held for any other reason other than jealousy ... so if our friend dips in here for a look at his feedback from a Hibs angle, here's mine:

Getting a clubs foundation date wrong is not the best start to a piece about any club.

Fans of other clubs don't like Celtic because:

A) ... They buy their best players, which is fine, but then follow that up by moaning about a lack of competition.
B) ... They outspend their rivals by 100/1 both in transfer fees and wages and then moan about teams playing defensively against them.
C) ... They claim to have 'the best fans in the world' who we all watch drift away whenever they hit an infrequent bad patch, EG and heaven forbid, a whole season without a trophy.
D) ... Half of their 'support' is drawn from towns around Scotland with their own professional clubs and they have the cheek to claim their away support 'subsidise' the clubs they pinch that support from.
E) ... They are the biggest copycats in football .... Copied our colours, adopted as their own an anthem that belongs to a bigger and better club, copied an idea from a Polish club with 'the Poznan' and even stole Barcelona's tag line of 'more than just a club' .... none of that is unusual in football, but hardly backs their claim to be special in any way.
F) ... They make great play of their bitter rivalry with Rangers, but that never stops them teaming up with them when it comes to carving up the financial spoils to the detriment of everybody else.

You could maybe forgive all that, but if you are a Hibby, but what trumps all of it, the cherry on the cake, what makes them so unlikable from a Hibby's point of view is the way they patronise us. We are not their 'wee brothers' ... second clubs are either the club from your home town, or a club in another country, not another club in the same league you like because you have some half baked idea about a shared identity that stopped being relevant decades ago, if it ever really was ... and 99.9% of Hibbies would never tolerate our club tweeting a good luck message to 'both teams' before a vital international qualifier, even if the other team was the Republic of Ireland.

So if you are reading this dear author I can honestly say, from the very bottom of my heart, you and Celtc can both kiss my arse :aok:

brog
21-11-2020, 05:50 PM

We were first to wear the green/hoops undoubtedly annoys them but I prefer the unequivocal, 'if it wasn't for the Hibees you'd be Huns'. That guarantees apoplexy!!

Kato
21-11-2020, 06:02 PM
F) ... They make great play of their bitter rivalry with Rangers, but that never stops them teaming up with them when it comes to carving up the financial spoils to the detriment of everybody else.

:agree:

They aren't called The Old Firm by accident. Always in cahoots.

Both clubs have consciously used sectarianism to financially dope their way through decades of Scottish football.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Oh so typical from the Celtc angle. Self entitled patronising crap which as usual comes from a mindset which can't comprehend the idea that dislike of Celtic can be held for any other reason other than jealousy ... so if our friend dips in here for a look at his feedback from a Hibs angle, here's mine:

Getting a clubs foundation date wrong is not the best start to a piece about any club.

Fans of other clubs don't like Celtic because:

A) ... They buy their best players, which is fine, but then follow that up by moaning about a lack of competition.
B) ... They outspend their rivals by 100/1 both in transfer fees and wages and then moan about teams playing defensively against them.
C) ... They claim to have 'the best fans in the world' who we all watch drift away whenever they hit an infrequent bad patch, EG and heaven forbid, a whole season without a trophy.
D) ... Half of their 'support' is drawn from towns around Scotland with their own professional clubs and they have the cheek to claim their away support 'subsidise' the clubs they pinch that support from.
E) ... They are the biggest copycats in football .... Copied our colours, adopted as their own an anthem that belongs to a bigger and better club, copied an idea from a Polish club with 'the Poznan' and even stole Barcelona's tag line of 'more than just a club' .... none of that is unusual in football, but hardly backs their claim to be special in any way.

You could maybe forgive all that, but if you are a Hibby, but what trumps all of it, the cherry on the cake, what makes them so unlikable from a Hibby's point of view is the way they patronise us. We are not their 'wee brothers' ... second clubs are either the club from your home town, or a club in another country, not another club in the same league you like because you have some half baked idea about a shared identity that stopped being relevant decades ago, if it ever really was ... and 99.9% of Hibbies would never tolerate our club tweeting a good luck message to 'both teams' before a vital international qualifier, even if the other team was the Republic of Ireland.

So if you are reading this dear author I can honestly say, from the very bottom of my heart, you and Celtc can both kiss my arse :aok:

they copied more than our colours from us

Carheenlea
21-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Celtic fans can`t seem to understand the difference between people hating their club and people simply not caring about their club.

I dont hate them, but have no interest and care little for them. Same goes for pretty much every other club other than Hibs. Not going to lie though - I do hate Hearts.

vercol36
21-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Surely, if anything, they are our wee brothers...seeing as they're younger?

Davy Mac
21-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Aye, jealousy is a terrible thing.

We no who we are and where we came from, they can never take away our history so tough titties.

Hillsidehibby
21-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Celtic fans can`t seem to understand the difference between people hating their club and people simply not caring about their club.

I dont hate them, but have no interest and care little for them. Same goes for pretty much every other club other than Hibs. Not going to lie though - I do hate Hearts.
Me too.
I have to say I have spent a lot of time in Glasgow working and socialising with a lot of Celtic men. They do only see things from their side of the fence but they do really like Hibs

weecounty hibby
21-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Me too.
I have to say I have spent a lot of time in Glasgow working and socialising with a lot of Celtic men. They do only see things from their side of the fence but they do really like Hibs
I would rather they didn't! I do t like celtic or their fans as a group. Would rather not be patronised by them. So much that is fake about them but they firmly believe it's all true. Not an original idea has ever come from that club

EI255
21-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Condescending weegie guff. “Hibs supporters came out in their masses from the grim Leith tenements”... a bit rich considering the state of a lot of Celtic fans.If Leith is grim then what the hell is Gallowgate?!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hillsidehibby
21-11-2020, 07:23 PM
I would rather they didn't! I do t like celtic or their fans as a group. Would rather not be patronised by them. So much that is fake about them but they firmly believe it's all true. Not an original idea has ever come from that club
I hear you but we all like what we like. As I said I spent quite a while in there world. Never once did I feel patronised or was called a fenian barsteward

ABZHFC
21-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Pure dead brilliant article from that Weegie fud

NAE NOOKIE
22-11-2020, 01:20 AM

That's the biggest bugbear for me ..... The 2013 cup final was the bloody worst, on the way out of Hampden at least twice I had Celtic fans going 'never mind wee man, you'll win it next year' .... bloody infuriating, give me the honesty of a piss taking Hun than a patronising Tim any day of the week.

superfurryhibby
22-11-2020, 07:21 AM
That's the biggest bugbear for me ..... The 2013 cup final was the bloody worst, on the way out of Hampden at least twice I had Celtic fans going 'never mind wee man, you'll win it next year' .... bloody infuriating, give me the honesty of a piss taking Hun than a patronising Tim any day of the week.

The difference is that the piss taking Hun will also want tae rip yer jaw.

weecounty hibby
22-11-2020, 08:54 AM
The difference is that the piss taking Hun will also want tae rip yer jaw.

I honestly don't get where this myth has come from that there has never been any bother between Hibs and Celtic fans. I have seen loads of trouble both at Easter Road and in Glasgow. The hun are worse but the don't think Celtic are too far behind

Keith_M
22-11-2020, 08:55 AM
Honestly, why does anybody even care?

:confused:

Brizo
22-11-2020, 09:47 AM
I dont know that there is a right answer as such, particularly now where people move around a lot more, but i always think of Leith (and overspill in north Edinburgh) and the southside (and its overspill) as being where Hibs support was concentrated, traditionally.

And of course, Hibs support for the first 50 - 75 years of the clubs existence was very concetrated in the old town and southside, and in Leith (basically where the irish immigrants had settled in the 19th century).

My own experience of growing up Southside in the 60s and 70s was that even then it was mainly Hibs and then lesser greens. When we were moved to Inch more of a 50/50 with a lot of Celtc having Irish parents. All changed now of course as people are far more socially mobile than they were even a couple of generations ago.

As for the article same old same old. Read it all before. Poorly researched with the usual inaccuracies, false assumptions, and stereotyping.

jacomo
22-11-2020, 10:47 AM
As others have said, it’s glib, condescending rubbish. A ludicrous waste of time for anyone who read it, let alone the moron who wrote it.

Good luck with 10IAR, losers.

brog
22-11-2020, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Brizo;6361730]My own experience of growing up Southside in the 60s and 70s was that even then it was mainly Hibs and then lesser greens. When we were moved to Inch more of a 50/50 with a lot of Celtc having Irish parents. All changed now of course as people are far more socially mobile than they were even a couple of generations ago.

Agree with all, especially about Southside. The Southern Branch bus used to leave from Prestonfield Ave & King Pat wasn't nicknamed Niddrie by accident. As for many a Celtc supporter, their arrogance is closely matched by their

Since90+2
22-11-2020, 06:02 PM
When people say the soutside what areas are you they refering to?

superfurryhibby
22-11-2020, 06:13 PM
I honestly don't get where this myth has come from that there has never been any bother between Hibs and Celtic fans. I have seen loads of trouble both at Easter Road and in Glasgow. The hun are worse but the don't think Celtic are too far behind

The few times I’ve had bother before or after the football have all been with the Hun, in Edinburgh and in the Weege. So it’s based on my experience.

Brightside
22-11-2020, 06:29 PM
When people say the soutside what areas are you they refering to?

South side is bruntsfield. I’ve never been aware of a big footballing population up there!

superbam
22-11-2020, 06:40 PM
It's tedious pish at the stage, been recycled so many times with the same tired tropes and ahistorical cliches that the more enlightened among their support have long disowned. The giveaway about the type of celtic fan that writes this pish is the characterizing of Edinburgh (Granton in this case) as "genteel", a bizarre stereotype I've only encountered among the most self reverential middle class Glaswegians.

The Count
22-11-2020, 06:53 PM
South side is bruntsfield. I’ve never been aware of a big footballing population up there!

Dont get mixed up with that cretin Kitchen calling his Bruntsfield restaurant Southside.Bruntsfield aint the Southside of Edinburgh.

Since90+2
22-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Dont get mixed up with that cretin Kitchen calling his Bruntsfield restaurant Southside.Bruntsfield aint the Southside of Edinburgh.

I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life and have heard the term southside previously but being from the North I'm not actually sure where it is. I originally thought it was the area around where the old Odeon cinema was down to around Cameron Toll and the areas around there.

I am not sure if people are meaning the areas further south like Moredun and Gracemount ect.

Ringothedog
22-11-2020, 07:10 PM

The southside is not and never has been Bruntsfield, it’s the area South of the Royal Mile and the Cowgate up to Causewayside.

James Stephen
22-11-2020, 07:13 PM

Tom Kitchin has a lot to answer for 🤣

James Stephen
22-11-2020, 07:16 PM
I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life and have heard the term southside previously but being from the North I'm not actually sure where it is. I originally thought it was the area around where the old Odeon cinema was down to around Cameron Toll and the areas around there.

I am not sure if people are meaning the areas further south like Moredun and Gracemount ect.

Youre right - st leonards, pleasance, dumbiedykes, down that way.

Areas like inch, prestonfield, mordeun, gilmerton arent the southside, but they were largely populated by people who moved out of the Southside, and they are to the south, so that may be where the confusion comes from?

Ringothedog
22-11-2020, 07:17 PM

The areas you mention ie moredun, the inch are the south of Edinburgh but not the southside, my post above explains where the southside is roughly.

hibsbollah
22-11-2020, 07:21 PM

Areas like inch, prestonfield, mordeun, gilmerton arent the southside, but they were largely populated by people who moved out of the Southside, and they are to the south, so that may be where the confusion comes from?

Id also probably include most of Newington as the southside.

Betty Boop
22-11-2020, 07:26 PM
The southside is not and never has been Bruntsfield, it’s the area South of the Royal Mile and the Cowgate up to Causewayside.

Always thought St Leonards and the Pleasance up to Preston Street was the Southside.

Iggy Pope
22-11-2020, 07:37 PM

You’re just not aware full stop. South side is anywhere South of the Royal Mile or even the old GPO. Take a walk down St Mary’s Street to where we came from at the Cowgate, the Pleasance, South Bridge, Newington, Causewayside, Tollcross, teeming with Hibbies.

Brizo
23-11-2020, 07:53 AM

You’re just not aware full stop. South side is anywhere South of the Royal Mile or even the old GPO. Take a walk down St Mary’s Street to where we came from at the Cowgate, the Pleasance, South Bridge, Newington, Causewayside, Tollcross, teeming with Hibbies.

Didn't realise my use of Southside would generate such a geographical debate :greengrin:

Agree with Iggy that the Southside is south of the High Street and I'd say up to the Commy pool and east of the Meadows. Not sure I'd class Newington as the Southside myself but can see why some folk do, but certainly not Bruntsfield :faf:

Like you Iggy I also remember growing up that Tollcross and around about Morrison Street was full of Hibbies in those days even though it was a lot nearer enemy territory

As James says loads of Southsiders were moved out to places further south (but not the Southside :greengrin ) like Inch and Gilmerton and a lot of them were Hibbies. When I was growing up Inch was mainly Hibs and lesser greens, Gilmerton much the same. It's all changed now of course as people are a lot more socially mobile than forty or fifty years ago.

Peevemor
23-11-2020, 08:01 AM
Didn't realise my use of Southside would generate such a geographical debate :greengrin:

Agree with Iggy that the Southside is south of the High Street and I'd say up to the Commy pool and east of the Meadows. Not sure I'd class Newington as the Southside myself but can see why some folk do, but certainly not Bruntsfield :faf:

Like you Iggy I also remember growing up that Tollcross and around about Morrison Street was full of Hibbies in those days even though it was a lot nearer enemy territory

As James says loads of Southsiders were moved out to places further south (but not the Southside :greengrin ) like Inch and Gilmerton and a lot of them were Hibbies. When I was growing up Inch was mainly Hibs and lesser greens, Gilmerton much the same. It's all changed now of course as people are a lot more socially mobile than forty or fifty years ago.

For me the Southside is exactly as you describe - how far South it goes may be open to debate, but definitely nothing West of the Meadows.

Killiehibbie
23-11-2020, 09:32 AM
For me the Southside is exactly as you describe - how far South it goes may be open to debate, but definitely nothing West of the Meadows.

It probably depends on what era we're talking about. 150 years ago Edinburgh stopped a few streets south of High St and as the city expanded southwards more people considered themselves part of the southside. The Meadows definitely the west boundary.

Brightside
23-11-2020, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the geography lesson, with the usual added slur. I have friends that live in the Bruntsfield area and they call it Southside. I didnt say that was the complete area of southside. I'm really not that fussed and its hardly important. Have a lovely day.

https://edinburgh.org/discover/explore-areas/south-side/

hibee-boys
23-11-2020, 10:35 AM
Even the smallest suggestion, from either side, of some brotherhood between us and Celtic makes me want to vomit. I feel as much connection to them as I do the other side of Glasgow.....that’ll be none then.

HFC93
23-11-2020, 10:50 AM
**** Celtic.

malcolm
23-11-2020, 12:09 PM

Agree. Bruntsfield is not southside if you’d want to label it with a ‘side’ then morningside would do nicely! The old police station at causewayside was not called southside police station for nothing, nor I think the electoral ward called southside/newington by accident.

https://sites.google.com/site/southsideheritagegroup/home/ssgallery. Some cracking old pictures there.

superfurryhibby
23-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the geography lesson, with the usual added slur. I have friends that live in the Bruntsfield area and they call it Southside. I didnt say that was the complete area of southside. I'm really not that fussed and its hardly important. Have a lovely day.

Just read a wee bit of that link and thought, that’s written by someone who hasn’t got a clue about Edinburgh, then saw that it’s from the City of Edinburgh council. Says it all really. Mixing up south Edinburgh with the Southside.

I’ve personally never heard anyone refer to Bruntsfield as the Southside and wonder if those pals might be incomers to the city?

The Southside for me is as many have described. I would include Causewayside and parts of Newington.

However, nae need for any **** to cum the **** aboot it though, grant ye that. :wink:

James Stephen
23-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Just read a wee bit of that link and thought, that’s written by someone who hasn’t got a clue about Edinburgh, then saw that it’s from the City of Edinburgh council. Says it all really. Mixing up south Edinburgh with the Southside.

I’ve personally never heard anyone refer to Bruntsfield as the Southside and wonder if those pals might be incomers to the city?

The Southside for me is as many have described. I would Causewayside and parts of Newington.

However, nae need for any **** to cum the **** aboot it though, grant ye that. :wink:

I think its a Glasgow thing - they call anything and everything south of the Clyde the Southside. Whereas in Edinburgh it is a very distinctive, and historic area.

No way on earth is Bruntsfield in the Southside - i went to school in Marchmont and we never classed that as the Southside, agree with others it starts to the East of the Meadows and probably has Causewayside as its boundary to the west, and the park to the east.

This thread has taken a funny turn, but i suppose its the equivalent to people from North Edinburgh and Leith as calling Lochend and Granton as Leith.

superfurryhibby
23-11-2020, 04:13 PM
I think its a Glasgow thing - they call anything and everything south of the Clyde the Southside. Whereas in Edinburgh it is a very distinctive, and historic area.

No way on earth is Bruntsfield in the Southside - i went to school in Marchmont and we never classed that as the Southside, agree with others it starts to the East of the Meadows and probably has Causewayside as its boundary to the west, and the park to the east.

This thread has taken a funny turn, but i suppose its the equivalent to people from North Edinburgh and Leith as calling Lochend and Granton as Leith.

TBF, having grown up in Leith, I've never heard anyone calling Granton or Lochend Leith either :confused: The Holy Ground is technically in the EH7 postcode area but as a few astute hibs. netters have pointed out, the actual pitch is in Leith:wink:

Pagan Hibernia
23-11-2020, 04:47 PM
TBF, having grown up in Leith, I've never heard anyone calling Granton or Lochend Leith either :confused: The Holy Ground is technically in the EH7 postcode area but as a few astute hibs. netters have pointed out, the actual pitch is in Leith:wink:

as an outsider, what is the situation with Easter Road Football Stadium? Leith or no?

hibsbollah
23-11-2020, 04:48 PM
as an outsider, what is the situation with Easter Road Football Stadium? Leith or no?

Naw. Lochend.

Peevemor
23-11-2020, 04:49 PM
as an outsider, what is the situation with Easter Road Football Stadium? Leith or no?When Leith and Edinburgh were separate entities, the Stadium was definitely part of Leith.

Pagan Hibernia
23-11-2020, 04:55 PM
When Leith and Edinburgh were separate entities, the Stadium was definitely part of Leith.

so we used to be in Leith but not in Edinburgh. And we’re now in Edinburgh but not in Leith?

Ringothedog
23-11-2020, 05:21 PM
so we used to be in Leith but not in Edinburgh. And we’re now in Edinburgh but not in Leith?

http://www.grantonhistory.org/maps/boundaries/leith_boundary_map.htm

superfurryhibby
23-11-2020, 05:21 PM

The pitch is in Leith, always, the West Stand is Edinburgh’s

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2020, 05:31 PM
If it wisnae for the Hibees they’d be Huns !

Kato
23-11-2020, 05:53 PM
The giveaway about the type of celtic fan that writes this pish is the characterizing of Edinburgh (Granton in this case) as "genteel"

The sign of an ignorant trumpet.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
25-11-2020, 06:35 PM

Slur? Bit precious. You really don’t like being wrong. That link is bollox though. It will be Oxgangs, Southside before we know it.

Peevemor
25-11-2020, 07:07 PM
Slur? Bit precious. You really don’t like being wrong. That link is bollox though. It will be Oxgangs, Southside before we know it.Are the Filmhouse and the Traverse Theatre not in the Southside like? [emoji848]

Killiehibbie
26-11-2020, 07:20 AM
Slur? Bit precious. You really don’t like being wrong. That link is bollox though. It will be Oxgangs, Southside before we know it.

If I didn't know better anywhere that isn't north of Princes St sounds like south to me. To a visitor that doesn't know any better that might then become The Southside. Can we stop the expansion when we get to the bypass?

Iggy Pope
26-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Are the Filmhouse and the Traverse Theatre not in the Southside like? [emoji848]

Have they moved to Bruntsfield or Morningside like? 🧐

Max_Shah
26-11-2020, 04:57 PM

No. You are categorically wrong and Iggy is right. Suck it up and have a lovely day. :rolleyes:

Although you pair did spark an interesting and somewhat heated debate at the RIE. :aok:

When I am not effort-posting on my break, I think I’ll start a Freddie in the Holy/General about apropos boundaries of various Edinburgh areas/schemes.

On topic:

Who cares what some fart-huffing Lesser Green is blog-posting about us.

In my experience there is nothing more demoralizing than an Edinburgh born fan of the ugly sisters and they should be pointed at, laughed at and treated with the contempt they deserve. Fans of Hibernian FC are arguably one of the most inclusive, welcoming and grounded in the UK. YMMV.

**** them. Let them eat their Paris Buns.