PDA

View Full Version : New deals

Ozyhibby
20-11-2020, 04:55 PM
https://news.stv.tv/sport/ross-reveals-hibs-contract-talks-with-marciano-and-newell?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Happy enough to keep Marciano, Newall not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CmoantheHibs
20-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Both important players for us. Hopefully get them both signed up on new deals quickly.

1875Sean
20-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Not so much for Newalll? Been one of our most consistent performers

linlithgowhibbie
20-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Not so much for Newalll? Been one of our most consistent performers

Definitely want to keep both if financially possible imho:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Spaceman
20-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Absolute nonsense OP about Newall. He’s been brilliant 80% of this season and you clearly know nothing about football.

B.H.F.C
20-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Absolute nonsense OP about Newall. He’s been brilliant 80% of this season and you clearly know nothing about football.

I disagree about him being brilliant so I obviously know nothing about football either. Wouldn’t be upset if he signs, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t.

Would definitely want Marciano to sign though.

JimBHibees
20-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Joe has been excellent this year and would love him to stay, will only get better imo.

Andy74
20-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Joe has been excellent this year and would love him to stay, will only get better imo.

Yep, this is crazy talk.

Greenbeard
20-11-2020, 05:25 PM
The rise and rise of Joe Newell seems to have taken a dip the last couple of games but def would want him on board esp with Allan seemingly out long term.

keep the faith
20-11-2020, 05:27 PM
https://news.stv.tv/sport/ross-reveals-hibs-contract-talks-with-marciano-and-newell?amp&__twitter_impression=true

What?? Newell is a terrific player and key for us right now

BlackSheep
20-11-2020, 05:28 PM

Wow!

Newell has been one of the top players this season and I think he is only just finding his stride in Scottish football... we would be insane not to secure him for longer...!

The Modfather
20-11-2020, 05:30 PM
I’d be happy enough with Newell signing a new deal but I think he’s far from irreplaceable. He’s been good this season but also still has question marks for me in the bigger games. Taken off twice around the hour mark against Aberdeen and yet to see him take a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck. A third player of real quality and drive in the midfield would definitely help him but descriptions of him being good when things are going well and less so when they aren’t is a fair summary for me.

jeffers
20-11-2020, 05:32 PM
I disagree about him being brilliant so I obviously know nothing about football either. Wouldn’t be upset if he signs, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t.

Would definitely want Marciano to sign though.

Pretty much where I’m at.

JohnMcM
20-11-2020, 05:33 PM
My foot is firmly in the keep them both camp. :agree:

wookie70
20-11-2020, 06:12 PM
I liked Newell before this season so hope he signs. I wouldn't have bothered about Rocky at the end of last season but he has changed my mind this year. Hope we get both for another year or two. The constant rebuilding is one of the reasons we struggle to be consistent.

Shrekko
20-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't have been too fussed about Rocky last season but would like him to stay now.

Also, not sure what Newall has to do to win some folk over- seems that being very good most weeks isn't enough. There's a strange tone to some of the criticism he gets- all this "not as good as he thinks he is" nonsense. Remember him being told to get 'back to Love Island' early on as well... all smacks of a bit of jealousy to be honest!

Ozyhibby
20-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Newall is good with the ball at his feet but is a dream to play against. Doesn’t work hard enough to stop the other team playing.
Our midfield was nowhere near good enough against Hearts and Aberdeen this year so I’m not really interested in keeping the same players.

B.H.F.C
20-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't have been too fussed about Rocky last season but would like him to stay now.

Also, not sure what Newall has to do to win some folk over- seems that being very good most weeks isn't enough. There's a strange tone to some of the criticism he gets- all this "not as good as he thinks he is" nonsense. Remember him being told to get 'back to Love Island' early on as well... all smacks of a bit of jealousy to be honest!

I don’t see any of that criticism on this thread. It’s just simply a case that some folk don’t think he’s as good as others do.

I think he’s been good at times. Just not ‘very good’ most weeks.

Tyler Durden
20-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Newall is good with the ball at his feet but is a dream to play against. Doesn’t work hard enough to stop the other team playing.
Our midfield was nowhere near good enough against Hearts and Aberdeen this year so I’m not really interested in keeping the same players.

Usual nonsense from you on Newall.

Suppose you needed a new target when Whittaker left.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2020, 06:26 PM
I’d be happy enough with Newell signing a new deal but I think he’s far from irreplaceable. He’s been good this season but also still has question marks for me in the bigger games. Taken off twice around the hour mark against Aberdeen and yet to see him take a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck. A third player of real quality and drive in the midfield would definitely help him but descriptions of him being good when things are going well and less so when they aren’t is a fair summary for me.

The voice of reason.

Newell, ffs. Decent enough, but not really good enough as a regular pick in the engine room of the team, if we aspire to more.

Capable of a good game, particularly against the weaker sides. Not really up for the job against the stronger teams.

I’ve seen far worse, but I won’t be troubled if he doesn’t sign up.

Rocky, despite flaws, is probably the best keeper at Hibs since Leighton. Him resigning would be very good news.

Pretty Boy
20-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Rocky would be harder to replace than Newell. The number of bad goalkeepers we have had over the years and the over the top lauding of decent ones simply for not being bad proves how rare a genuinely good one like Rocky is.

I'd be more than happy to see both extend their stays.

Onceinawhile
20-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Suspect one of two things.

Either they're both close enough to signing that Hibs have mentioned it, or they're nowhere near and Hibs are trying to convince us they're doing all they can.

Would like to keep both, but rocky definitely the priority.

Tyler Durden
20-11-2020, 06:35 PM

Look at the game against Rangers at home. Newell was instrumental in getting us back in the game and scoring the equaliser. Won the ball in Rangers half. Same in the semi final. Wins a penalty by winning the ball back high up the park.

Does that regularly - has averaged more tackles per game than Gogic.

In any objective rundown of players of the season to date, Newell is right up there in top 2/3 outwith the OF players

USAHibee
20-11-2020, 06:50 PM
Look at the game against Rangers at home. Newell was instrumental in getting us back in the game and scoring the equaliser. Won the ball in Rangers half. Same in the semi final. Wins a penalty by winning the ball back high up the park.

In any objective rundown of players of the season to date, Newell is right up there in top 2/3 outwith the OF players

Newell has been excellent this season,a class act.. Marciano is at the peak of his career and a fantastic shot stopper. Great news all round if they extend...

B.H.F.C
20-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Think we could all pick out stats, or isolated examples, to suit what we want. Could talk about the games, generally against better teams, where he’s been ineffectual. How there is a lack of goals and assists to his game. So I think it depends on what makes up your objective rundown.

As I’ve said previous, I don’t think he’s hopeless or anything like that. Equally just don’t think he’s one of the top two or three performers from ten teams in the league.

Andy74
20-11-2020, 07:01 PM

John McGinn played in Hibs midfields that were nowhere near good enough against the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa. Glad we are well shot of him.

bingo70
20-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Think we could all pick out stats, or isolated examples, to suit what we want. Could talk about the games, generally against better teams, where he’s been ineffectual. How there is a lack of goals and assists to his game. So I think it depends on what makes up your objective rundown.

As I’ve said previous, I don’t think he’s hopeless or anything like that. Equally just don’t think he’s one of the top two or three performers from ten teams in the league.

Fwiw I agree completely about Newell. I think he’s looked really good in spells and has proven me wrong for the most part as I certainly never rated him last year. That said, I still think he looks like he lacks urgency at times.

I think he’s a player capable of great things rather than a great player if that makes sense.

Interesting how popular he is now, it wasn’t long ago everybody was crying out for a new midfielder and at the time he was the obvious player to be replaced.

I’d be happy if he stayed but he’s replaceable if he does leave imo.

Tyler Durden
20-11-2020, 07:11 PM

Well I was responding to a specific claim that he hasn’t influenced a game that was going against us.

For midfielders it’s about key passes per game, passes forward, recovering the ball. In all those metrics Newell is right up there along with likes of Ryan Hedges as the most effective midfielders this year outside the OF.

B.H.F.C
20-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Well I was responding to a specific claim that he hasn’t influenced a game that was going against us.

For midfielders it’s about key passes per game, passes forward, recovering the ball. In all those metrics Newell is right up there along with likes of Ryan Hedges as the most effective midfielders this year outside the OF.

As I say, I think you can pick stats to suit any argument. I don’t think it’s the best way to judge. If you take our last game at Aberdeen for example, we had all the ball and he probably had it more than anyone. There would have been plenty passes completed, plenty forward but generally all completely ineffectual.

From what I’ve watched I’ve seen some good (Livi, Killie, StMirren, Hamilton and Rangers come to mind) and some not so good (Celtic, Sheep x2, Motherwell come to mind). All in all, I think he’s somewhere in between being brilliant and poor.

HendoDelivered
20-11-2020, 07:35 PM

It’s Newell btw :aok:

hibbysam
20-11-2020, 07:39 PM

Especially when played in a midfield two, unless you want Gogic under a whole heap of pressure then he’s not going to be bombing forward constantly and scoring and assisting.

I’m sorry but anyone that doesn’t want Newell here post 2020/21 is away with the fairies in my book. Our most important player, makes us tick and he will have off days, problem is when he’s off it then nobody steps up to the plate. Class act!

danhibees1875
20-11-2020, 08:19 PM
Would be great to get them both signed up. :agree:

Greenbeard
21-11-2020, 07:10 AM
My foot is firmly in the keep them both camp. :agree:
Never noticed either of them being camp tbh. Whatever floats your boat though. :wink:

Peevemor
21-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Never noticed either of them being camp tbh. Whatever floats your boat though. :wink:He might have something though, with Rocky's pink strips & Joe's floppy hair
... [emoji848]

we are hibs
21-11-2020, 08:28 AM
I like Newell but i would like to see him put in a big performance in a big game. He is capable of it. Like Gogic i think they are both suffering from the lack of a 3rd midfielder who is full of energy and mobility. Neither are blessed with pace but if we get something today we need Newell to be at it because we wont have a lot of the ball and hes very good at keeping the ball and dictating the tempo of our game.

Stuart93
21-11-2020, 08:33 AM
I like Newell but i would like to see him put in a big performance in a big game. He is capable of it. Like Gogic i think they are both suffering from the lack of a 3rd midfielder who is full of energy and mobility. Neither are blessed with pace but if we get something today we need Newell to be at it because we wont have a lot of the ball and hes very good at keeping the ball and dictating the tempo of our game.

Thought he was our best player on the park against hearts to be honest

we are hibs
21-11-2020, 08:42 AM
Thought he was our best player on the park against hearts to be honest

Thats a very low bar to be set.

Stuart93
21-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Thats a very low bar to be set.

I’m not saying it isn’t but I replied to your post that said you wanted him to put in a big performance in a big game and I feel he did in that game but was let down by others round about him

Heisenberg
21-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Newell has certainly been good this season and an improvement on his form when he first arrived. Has he had some games where he hasn’t been at his best? Yes. Most players will.

hibbysam
21-11-2020, 08:54 AM
I’m not saying it isn’t but I replied to your post that said you wanted him to put in a big performance in a big game and I feel he did in that game but was let down by others round about him

Along with the rangers game. The sooner we move to a midfield three the better though, we aren’t dominant enough with the ball to give teams an extra man in the middle of the park and still compete.

Smartie
21-11-2020, 08:59 AM
The midfield is still not right and if he happened to be the sacrifice then I probably wouldn’t be too upset. I remember Mowbray making a big call with Brebner that worked out for us.

I like Newell though. He has imperfections and is, I think, closer to being part of the midfield solution than the midfield problem. He’s also been much better against stronger teams this season, excellent against a very good Rangers side earlier this season.

We could do with him turning up today.

Stuart93
21-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Along with the rangers game. The sooner we move to a midfield three the better though, we aren’t dominant enough with the ball to give teams an extra man in the middle of the park and still compete.

I agree.

Think a midfield 3 of Gogic, newell & mallan, Gogic newell & magennis or Gogic newell & Murphy could work

hibbysam
21-11-2020, 09:16 AM
I agree.

Think a midfield 3 of Gogic, newell & mallan, Gogic newell & magennis or Gogic newell & Murphy could work

Agree with the first two. Think Magennis is obviously the long term option. While he’s out I’d like to see Mallan, Murphy out on the left as he commits players one on one. 4-2-3-1 with Nisbet up front and Boyle/Murphy either side is the way forward for me. Harsh on Doidge but we aren’t good enough to go two up top against the top sides.