PDA

View Full Version : Today's Substitutions

Keith_M
15-11-2020, 06:21 PM
I've felt we've failed to make needed changes in a couple of games recently, especially in the Semi Final, but the substitutions today were (literal) game changers.

Well done JR.

:aok:

JohnM1875
15-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Totallg agree!

Spot on from JR on the subs front.

Really wish we'd give Gullan a run of games to show what he's capable of. Think there's definitely a player there.

Smartie
15-11-2020, 06:34 PM
It was really impressive to see tbh.

Often you look at the bench and feel a bit underwhelmed at the options.

The subs today lifted us to a different level.

Speed of thought, directness, pace - really good.

We were toiling when the equaliser went in and they changed the game.

Good stuff really, and something we've been crying out to see.

B.H.F.C
15-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Twice in the group stage Gullan has come on and pretty much made an instant impact.

Hard for him to do much more than he has with the limited game time he’s had. I know folk talk about him playing wide but that was a proper strikers goal he scored.

Smartie
15-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Twice in the group stage Gullan has come on and pretty much made an instant impact.

Hard for him to do much more than he has with the limited game time he’s had. I know folk talk about him playing wide but that was a proper strikers goal he scored.

It was a brilliant bit of movement, and it was a lovely team goal in a lot of different ways.

bingo70
15-11-2020, 06:51 PM
It was really impressive to see tbh.

Often you look at the bench and feel a bit underwhelmed at the options.

The subs today lifted us to a different level.

Speed of thought, directness, pace - really good.

We were toiling when the equaliser went in and they changed the game.

Good stuff really, and something we've been crying out to see.

Impressive to see is a bit much surely?

I know I’m being a grumpy ******* but Dundee are an awful side. Pleased we won and we can only beat whats in front of us but I think gushing over the substitutions are a bit much in a game like this.

Good professional job done so well done to the team, no more or no less than that though IMO.

Hakim Sar
15-11-2020, 06:52 PM
I think, ultimately, when you take a player off you’ve, ideally, got to put another player on, so it was great to see JR take advantage of this and to our benefit. Dundee will be kicking themselves.

Thankfully it worked in our favour this time, but we will have to be vigilant in the future.

Smartie
15-11-2020, 07:03 PM
Impressive to see is a bit much surely?

I know I’m being a grumpy ******* but Dundee are an awful side. Pleased we won and we can only beat whats in front of us but I think gushing over the substitutions are a bit much in a game like this.

Good professional job done so well done to the team, no more or no less than that though IMO.

Nah, I thought it was a big positive.

We were toiling there, in a bit of a spot. It was a game we needed to win, it was game that we'd been on top of and failed to press home the advantage and we'd been pegged back with a goal that had been coming for a bit.

I'd accept your point if the bench was brimming with recognisable quality but we're talking about players who have an awful lot to prove, and not ones you'd immediately back to turn a game that was in the balance in our favour. In situations like this I've seen managers play out games with what they might have thought was the strongest team on the park and seen games fizzle out into disappointing results.

The changes were made, the subs did their part.

I think I'm chuffed mainly because these were players who were given opportunities in earlier LC games and didn't take them - but today they dug us out of a hole and got us comfortably into the next round.

Mackie, Hallberg, Gullan - they've all had a bit of criticism on here, they all did well today.

Our squad doesn't have much depth but a few of the more peripheral figures really pulled their weight today and I see that as a big positive.

Whilst we have question marks over several positions - LB, the middle of the park and up front, it was good to see these players stake some sort of claim. If nothing else it keeps the first team on their toes, which can only be a good thing.

brog
15-11-2020, 09:29 PM
I thought Sean Mackie just looked stronger, faster & more athletic than Josh Doig tonight. Josh will be a top player for us but he's lost a bit of confidence. I expect Sean to start on Sat. I'd love to see Jamie start as well but the return of Doidge will probably rule that out. Even if it means a reshuffle though Jamie has to be ahead of Drey Wright for future selection.

BILLYHIBS
15-11-2020, 09:52 PM
I felt in the Cup Semi looking at our bench it did not fill me with hope but Hearts were able to make four changes all of them decent that ultimately swung the game their way

B.H.F.C
15-11-2020, 09:55 PM
I thought Sean Mackie just looked stronger, faster & more athletic than Josh Doig tonight. Josh will be a top player for us but he's lost a bit of confidence. I expect Sean to start on Sat. I'd love to see Jamie start as well but the return of Doidge will probably rule that out. Even if it means a reshuffle though Jamie has to be ahead of Drey Wright for future selection.

Agree with this. I’m no really sure Doig was totally at fault for the goal, but I just didn’t think he was good. Touch was a bit slack and didn’t really get anything in to the box.

I think Doidge will probably come back in but, for me, it’d be Gogic in for Wright and play with the extra man in midfield. If we persist with the flat 442 I don’t think it’ll go well next week.

500miles
15-11-2020, 11:45 PM
We should have been 5 up at half time, and I think our string of missed chances brought the players on the park down as the game went on. When we took Wright off, we changed to a more fluid 433 with fresh impetus, and thier defence couldn't cope. Despite his finishing, I thought Nisbet's link up play was excellent and he got a lot more space with Gullan and Boyle supporting him high up the park.

wookie70
16-11-2020, 12:02 AM
The subs worked well but I wish Ross would make them earlier. Why wait when it is obvious we are completely flat. Wright and Doig were obvious choices to be hooked and Murphy hasn't played much. Ross is a bit like Lennon in making subs later than they should be made imo

Up The Bracket
16-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Good choice of subs but as mentioned above, why wait until we concede to make them? Everyone could see we were about to concede.

Don’t understand why our substitutions are constantly firefighting rather than being pro-active, spotting an issue and fixing it before the problem arises.

Not the first time Jack Ross has been guilty of this.

green day
16-11-2020, 10:40 AM
The subs worked well but I wish Ross would make them earlier. Why wait when it is obvious we are completely flat. Wright and Doig were obvious choices to be hooked and Murphy hasn't played much. Ross is a bit like Lennon in making subs later than they should be made imo

Good choice of subs but as mentioned above, why wait until we concede to make them? Everyone could see we were about to concede.

Don’t understand why our substitutions are constantly firefighting rather than being pro-active, spotting an issue and fixing it before the problem arises.

Not the first time Jack Ross has been guilty of this.

Without being disrespectful to Dundee, we were never likely to be losing this tie, there were players on the park who needed fitness and it was ideal - the more minutes the better.

The management cant win really, he would be slaughtered if he didnt give slightly unfit / returning from injury players badly needed match fitness...................

BSEJVT
17-11-2020, 06:47 AM

Totally agree

We had fallen out the game and were crying out for changes to be made long before they were.

As it happens we scored again and again immediately after they were made so Ross deserves credit, but we gave ourselves a more difficult task than we ought to have and if those goals hadn't came so quickly more stress than was required.