PDA

View Full Version : Scotland squad for the euro finals

Speedy
13-11-2020, 06:13 PM
A couple of threads have touched on it so thought I'd start a new one.

What's your prediction for the squad?

Most likely:
Marshall Gordon McLaughlin

O'Donnell Palmer McTominay Gallagher McKenna Considine Cooper Tierney Robertson

McGinn McGregor Jack Christie Armstrong Fraser Forrest

Dykes Griffiths McBurnie* Paterson

Up and comers / Contenders / Injury Cover:
Bain
Hanley Porteous Taylor
Fleck Gilmour McLean
Nisbet Hornby Burke*

*Personally wouldn't have these 2 anywhere near the squad but they'll be in with a shout unfortunately

B.H.F.C
13-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Kenny McLean will definitely be in there. He’s played quite a big part for Clarke.

bingo70
13-11-2020, 06:42 PM
A couple of youngsters will be taken along as well so they can experience it snd help out.

Not suggesting they’ll be part of the playing squad but I’d imagine Billy Gilmore will be one.

murray26
13-11-2020, 06:49 PM
I would like to see Gilmore go he should be a big part of future Scotland squads.

B.H.F.C
13-11-2020, 06:51 PM
I would like to see Gilmore go he should be a big part of future Scotland squads.

Depends if he can be a big part of the Chelsea squad this year.

Clarke definitely won’t take him if he’s not.

SteveHFC
13-11-2020, 06:57 PM
A couple of threads have touched on it so thought I'd start a new one.

What's your prediction for the squad?

Most likely:
Marshall Gordon McLaughlin

O'Donnell Palmer McTominay Gallagher McKenna Considine Cooper Tierney Robertson

McGinn McGregor Jack Christie Armstrong Fraser Forrest

Dykes Griffiths McBurnie* Paterson

Up and comers / Contenders / Injury Cover:
Bain
Hanley Porteous Taylor
Fleck Gilmour McLean
Nisbet Hornby Burke*

*Personally wouldn't have these 2 anywhere near the squad but they'll be in with a shout unfortunately

Paterson out for McLean and McBurnie out for someone like Nisbet/Shankland.

Nicho87
13-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Paterson, McBurnie, Burke should be no where near the squad. All offer nothing.

Diclonius
13-11-2020, 07:15 PM
Paterson, McBurnie, Burke should be no where near the squad. All offer nothing.

Paterson is good backup for a lot of positions. The two Olis, agree.

bingo70
13-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Whether people like it or not Scotland play route one football and for that you need a big guy up front. Lyndon Dykes was outstanding last night but we need a back up for him. Mcburnie is of a similar mould, even if he did have a shocker when he came on last night.

I’m not Mcburnies biggest fan, far from it but if it’s not him it needs to be someone of a similar style and I don’t see too many other candidates. If Doidge was Scottish he’d be ideal but I don’t see anyone else?

Who else can play the big target man role? And I do recognise how poor Mcburnie was when he came on last night.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2020, 07:25 PM
How many can you include in the squad

B.H.F.C
13-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Whether people like it or not Scotland play route one football and for that you need a big guy up front. Lyndon Dykes was outstanding last night but we need a back up for him. Mcburnie is of a similar mould, even if he did have a shocker when he came on last night.

I’m not Mcburnies biggest fan, far from it but if it’s not him it needs to be someone of a similar style and I don’t see too many other candidates. If Doidge was Scottish he’d be ideal but I don’t see anyone else?

Who else can play the big target man role? And I do recognise how poor Mcburnie was when he came on last night.

Scotland have the option to play route one football. But there are plenty of footballers in there. We played some good stuff last night, certainly wouldn’t call it route one football. But with Dykes, it adds that dimension.

bingo70
13-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Scotland have the option to play route one football. But there are plenty of footballers in there. We played some good stuff last night, certainly wouldn’t call it route one football. But with Dykes, it adds that dimension.

We’re at our best with a big man up front though.

We’ve got some good players who can play football but up against better sides we’re most effective when we have the option to get it forward quickly and it sticks

Sir David Gray
13-11-2020, 07:34 PM
How many can you include in the squad

23 I think.

B.H.F.C
13-11-2020, 07:53 PM
We’re at our best with a big man up front though.

We’ve got some good players who can play football but up against better sides we’re most effective when we have the option to get it forward quickly and it sticks

At the moment I think we’re best with Dykes up front, who just happens to be a big lad. When you look through that team though, even with McTominay and Tierney in a back three it’s mainly players that want to pass the ball.

Having that option is definitely good but I don’t think that’s all we are. Dykes has been massive for us but I don’t think that’s just on the basis of being route one.

The 90+2
13-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Has Fletcher officially quit Scotland?

bingo70
13-11-2020, 08:10 PM

He’s certainly a better player than Mcburnie but I’m not sure I’d drop him for Fletcher.

The current squad have done a great job for the manager and the country, why the urgency to bin someone that’s played a part in that?

Let’s just go with what’s served us well to date.

Speedy
13-11-2020, 08:13 PM

Does anyone know if Hornby is a genuine contender? I don't know much about him other than he's really tall, plays abroad and scored a lot of goals for the under 21s

CMurdoch
13-11-2020, 08:14 PM

Will be 34 soon so father time is catching up fast

The 90+2
13-11-2020, 08:15 PM
He’s certainly a better player than Mcburnie but I’m not sure I’d drop him for Fletcher.

The current squad have done a great job for the manager and the country, why the urgency to bin someone that’s played a part in that?

Let’s just go with what’s served us well to date.

All true mate 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The 90+2
Will be 34 soon so father time is catching up fast

He’s on fire the now. I agree with Bingo though.

CMurdoch
Does anyone know if Hornby is a genuine contender? I don't know much about him other than he's really tall, plays abroad and scored a lot of goals for the under 21s

No chance.
He is big and strong but can't get a game at his club.

CMurdoch
13-11-2020, 08:18 PM
He’s on fire the now. I agree with Bingo though.

Haven't watched Championship football this season so didn't know that.
He has always had wonderful technique and that remains long after heart and lungs start to go backwards.
Scored a great goal against Poland in one of his last internationals

The Modfather
13-11-2020, 10:03 PM
Depends if he can be a big part of the Chelsea squad this year.

Clarke definitely won’t take him if he’s not.

I do agree with you in general, but Wales have had some recent success playing their talented youngsters despite them not getting games at their clubs.

badabing67
13-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Kenny McLean will definitely be in there. He’s played quite a big part for Clarke.

I Think Billy Gilmour at Chelsea will make the cut as well

neil7908
13-11-2020, 11:25 PM
Surely Gilmour. Even if he doesn't start he's the future of Scotland and it'll be a great experience for him.

The 90+2
13-11-2020, 11:42 PM
Haven't watched Championship football this season so didn't know that.
He has always had wonderful technique and that remains long after heart and lungs start to go backwards.
Scored a great goal against Poland in one of his last internationals

🍺

Since452
14-11-2020, 05:35 AM
We've got three world class players in the squad in Robertson, Tierney and McGinn. That's a phenomenal starting point for any side. McTominay is only going to get better, Christie will be absolutely buzzing then you've got the likes of Armstrong, Griffiths and Fraser waiting in the wings and young Gilmour and Nisbet coming through. We should be excited. A potential golden generation for Scotland.

Andy74
14-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Bit early to be worrying about the squad for the summer.

Hiber-nation
14-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Bit early to be worrying about the squad for the summer.

Is anyone worrying??

Andy74
14-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Is anyone worrying??

I think you understand what the phrase means.

Hiber-nation
14-11-2020, 10:07 AM
I think you understand what the phrase means.

Yeah but I'm not sure why it's too early to discuss it. A lot of us are quite excited you know.

chrisski33
14-11-2020, 11:29 AM
I just hope alot of self retired players dont suddenly want to reignite their international career!

Andy74
14-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Yeah but I'm not sure why it's too early to discuss it. A lot of us are quite excited you know.

It’s too early because we’ve no idea who will be available in six or seven months time, who might have had good or bad seasons or played or not for their teams. Nothing wrong with being excited but picking a squad at this point is a bit pointless.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 11:35 AM
It’s too early because we’ve no idea who will be available in six or seven months time, who might have had good or bad seasons or played or not for their teams. Nothing wrong with being excited but picking a squad at this point is a bit pointless.

You do know the fans don’t pick the squad? A bit of fun/football chat to keep the excitement going. Nothing wrong whatsoever with chatting about potential squad makers, who from the current squad may not make it, which young players may step up.

Hiber-nation
14-11-2020, 12:00 PM

You should probably have ignored the thread then!

Andy74
14-11-2020, 12:22 PM
You should probably have ignored the thread then!

And you could have ignored my point and cracked on but that’s not really how it works is it? If you have an opinion on something you tend to say it.

There’s so much football to be played we could be looking at some very different options in a few months time. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a premature conversation on a squad selection and there’s generally a good reason for that.

The Modfather
14-11-2020, 12:39 PM
And you could have ignored my point and cracked on but that’s not really how it works is it? If you have an opinion on something you tend to say it.

There’s so much football to be played we could be looking at some very different options in a few months time. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a premature conversation on a squad selection and there’s generally a good reason for that.

Is it not a fluid debate? A discussion that will evolve over time as players get injured or come into/out of form etc. We’re not setting any hypothetical squads in stone at this point.

SJNB Hibby
14-11-2020, 06:22 PM
I think it's very much recognised that Clarke is playing a system, and that system is working. Many people complained early about his use of McTominay, and have been proven wrong. There are very few automatic choices in this squad...Robertson, McTominay Mcginn, Tierney, Marshall. Others that have earned likely automatic selection...Dykes, Gallacher, Christie, O'Donnell, Mclean, etc and others likely in, if they stay healthy ...Griffitths etc.
But you can easily play youre way in, and that allows somebody like Hanlon a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to be somebody who called off due to a suspicious injury early in Steve Clarkes reign.
One question though...when do the WC qualifiiers start, must be in the spring...somebody goes in and scores a bucketload of goals and theyre in the mix

B.H.F.C
14-11-2020, 07:01 PM
I think it's very much recognised that Clarke is playing a system, and that system is working. Many people complained early about his use of McTominay, and have been proven wrong. There are very few automatic choices in this squad...Robertson, McTominay Mcginn, Tierney, Marshall. Others that have earned likely automatic selection...Dykes, Gallacher, Christie, O'Donnell, Mclean, etc and others likely in, if they stay healthy ...Griffitths etc.
But you can easily play youre way in, and that allows somebody like Hanlon a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to be somebody who called off due to a suspicious injury early in Steve Clarkes reign.
One question though...when do the WC qualifiiers start, must be in the spring...somebody goes in and scores a bucketload of goals and theyre in the mix

There is a couple of qualifiers in March.

Without any injuries, I can’t see there being too many spaces available in the squad. He picked 27 for this set of fixtures, sure a tournament squad is normally about 23/24? Think it’ll be difficult for anyone to break in, that isn’t already established in the squad.

Speedy
15-11-2020, 08:58 AM

:greengrin