PDA

View Full Version : Declan Gallagher and Stephen o'Donnell

Scooter
12-11-2020, 11:14 PM
Some performances they have put in for Scotland. Especially Gallagher from dundee to livi to Motherwell his last 2 games for scotland have been outstanding.

With O'Donnell I'm sure hes out of contract in Jan and I'f theres any chance of us keeping a back 3 we should try get him in at RWB. Gallagher will cost to much now

murray26
12-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Gallagher was amazing tonight what a performance..

SteveHFC
12-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Would be offering O'Donnell a pre-contract for sure.

How much would Motherwell want Gallagher for.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2020, 11:30 PM
Some performances they have put in for Scotland. Especially Gallagher from dundee to livi to Motherwell his last 2 games for scotland have been outstanding.

With O'Donnell I'm sure hes out of contract in Jan and I'f theres any chance of us keeping a back 3 we should try get him in at RWB. Gallagher will cost to much now

Would take Gallagher in a heartbeat but that ship may have sailed after tonight

Looks like Hearts chose the wrong one between him and Halkett

Not that fussed about O’Donnell tbh played ok but made a couple of basic errors

One of Stevie Clarke’s trusty’s so if it gets results for Scotland who cares?

The 90+2
12-11-2020, 11:30 PM
Would be offering O'Donnell a pre-contract for sure.

How much would Motherwell want Gallagher for.

A million plus. Great defender.

SteveHFC
12-11-2020, 11:31 PM

Time for Ron to splash the cash then. The guy is under-rated.

13-11-2020, 12:02 AM
I like O'Donnell. Delivers a great cross and supports the team going forward. In saying that can push too far forward at times and expose the defence. Would I take him at Hibs ...yes because the way Jack plays we'll always concede goals but as long as we score more than we concede it's a positive.

Since90+2
13-11-2020, 04:57 AM
Absolutely no chance we get Gallagher now. I actually think Celtic will sign him in January.

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2020, 04:59 AM
Should've been all over O'Donnell on a free in the summer

Gmack7
13-11-2020, 06:29 AM
They were both excellent and have been in the last few Scotland games. Quite funny to look at the teams our back 5 played for liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Motherwell, Motherwell. Well played lads

Brightside
13-11-2020, 07:49 AM
O’Donnell isn’t a great defender imo. Good going forward but defensively suspect. Gallagher is excellent. We have a lot of excellent CHs in Scotland now.

Hiber-nation
13-11-2020, 08:17 AM
I remember Gallagher playing for Livi against us in the Championship. Can't believe how far he's come, looked a bit of a bombscare in these days.

He'll not be at Motherwell for long.

JammyDoidger
13-11-2020, 08:19 AM
I had a wee go pre match about O'Donnell as I didn't think he was good enough for that level but he never put a foot wrong all night. Good to see players from our league doing well for Scotland. Filled with pride this morning!!

Since90+2
13-11-2020, 08:20 AM
I remember Gallagher playing for Livi against us in the Championship. Can't believe how far he's come, looked a bit of a bombscare in these days.

His contracts up in the summer so he's in a good position. Celtic fan as a boy and with Celtic looking dreadful at the back I can see him going there in January for a nominal fee.

Sylar
13-11-2020, 08:21 AM

Livi insisted on playing him at RB initially and he wasn't cut out for it. Made such a difference moving him inside to CH. I'm aware I might take pelters for this but him and Halkett were a phenomenal pairing - both read the game very well and the number of goals they both chipped in to Livi in their final season together was impressive.

I tought Halkett would go on to have the more successful career but it's not looking that way now!

Since90+2
13-11-2020, 08:22 AM
If we have any hope of getting out the group we need to find a right back solution. O'Donnell works hard but he's just not an international class defender and against better teams in the final he'll be a liability IMO.

I'm not sure if the Tavernier angle has an legs to it but I think it should be explored.

dchibs
13-11-2020, 08:25 AM
Would take Gallagher in a heartbeat but that ship may have sailed after tonight Looks like Hearts chose the wrong one between him and Halkett Not that fussed about O’Donnell tbh played ok but made a couple of basic errors One of Stevie Clarke’s trusty’s so if it gets results for Scotland who cares?Halket and Gallagher where a great pairing at Livi I was hoping we would go for the two of them, but always feel Hibs are too slow on the uptake Motherwell always seam to recruit well.

Crunchie
13-11-2020, 08:29 AM
Halket and Gallagher where a great pairing at Livi I was hoping we would go for the two of them, but always feel Hibs are too slow on the uptake Motherwell always seam to recruit well.
It probably has something to do with the turnover of managers.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2020, 11:39 AM
It’s great to see players at smaller Scottish clubs, playing well for their country
Clarke is no believer of big reputations, just wants players who play for the team

CloudSquall
13-11-2020, 11:45 AM
If I remember correctly Michael O'Neil´s NI squad that made the Euros was partly made up of SPFL players (wasn´t the keeper not getting a game for Hamilton?), I´m glad to see Clarke´s persistence at doing the same paying off.

Coco Bryce
13-11-2020, 11:46 AM

He has calmed down a lot and is a far more settled player now.

Remember he had just come out of prison when he signed for Livi

B.H.F.C
13-11-2020, 11:58 AM
He has calmed down a lot and is a far more settled player now.

Remember he had just come out of prison when he signed for Livi

Fair to say he’s turned his life round a bit.

CMurdoch
13-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Absolutely no chance we get Gallagher now. I actually think Celtic will sign him in January.

Wonderful defender but not so hot with the ball at his feet. Thought Serbia were deliberately leaving him as the outball last night.
This will probably stop Celtic signing him but he could make himself a lot of money playing in the English Championship. Will be 30 in February so his next contract is important. Out of contract in the summer so nothing stopping him.
Hate to say it but if he stays in Scotland he could end up at Aberdeen where there is a McKenna sized hole which the accident prone Ash Taylor is trying to cover at the moment.

Jones28
13-11-2020, 12:30 PM

If McKenna is worth whatever it was he went for (£3m plus add ons I think?) then Gallagher must be getting close to that.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2020, 12:37 PM
If McKenna is worth whatever it was he went for (£3m plus add ons I think?) then Gallagher must be getting close to that.

Think he’s out of contract at the end of the season, so they won’t get anything like that for him
Rumours Celtic trying to get him on a pre contact

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2020, 12:41 PM
If I remember correctly Michael O'Neil´s NI squad that made the Euros was partly made up of SPFL players (wasn´t the keeper not getting a game for Hamilton?), I´m glad to see Clarke´s persistence at doing the same paying off.

He was at Hamilton but he was first choice. One of the best in the league then. Michael McGovern

Jones28
13-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Think he’s out of contract at the end of the season, so they won’t get anything like that for him
Rumours Celtic trying to get him on a pre contact

Ah well, classic Celtic. If they can offer him the money and he wants it thats fine but how many countless examples do players need to see that development via the old firm route is often a fallacy?

Since90+2
13-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Ah well, classic Celtic. If they can offer him the money and he wants it thats fine but how many countless examples do players need to see that development via the old firm route is often a fallacy?

He's 30 in January so I don't think development will be at the top of his priorities. He won't have made alot of money in the game so he will likely sign for who pays him the most, which could very well be Celtic.

Jones28
13-11-2020, 01:02 PM
He's 30 in January so I don't think development will be at the top of his priorities. He won't have made alot of money in the game so he will likely sign for who pays him the most, which could very well be Celtic.

Oh right, I didnt realise he was as old as that. Fair play then

brog
13-11-2020, 01:26 PM
I think Gallagher has done very well but he's been well suited by his direct opponents. Last night was a perfect example in that Mitrovic is an old fashioned, target man, striker. He's not great on the ball & he would struggle against a nippy striker running off/at him. Plaudits to him but i really don't see him getting a major move unless Celtc take him as a squad player.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2020, 03:14 PM
I think Gallagher has done very well but he's been well suited by his direct opponents. Last night was a perfect example in that Mitrovic is an old fashioned, target man, striker. He's not great on the ball & he would struggle against a nippy striker running off/at him. Plaudits to him but i really don't see him getting a major move unless Celtc take him as a squad player.

He can’t be any worse than £40k per week Shane Duffy

Is It On....
13-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Didn't realise he was 6ft 6. Quite a presence at CB!!

EI255
13-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Gallagher was amazing tonight what a performance..He won't be a Motherwell player next year.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Since452
13-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Just shows this league isn't as bad as Englanders would have you believe

DH1875
13-11-2020, 04:54 PM
How did O'Donnell end up at Motherwell? Available for free in the summer. Would have though us, Aberdeen or even hearts would have took him. Even a championship club down south.

Lancs Harp
13-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Gallagher was MOTM for me. Some feat with the level of performance of the entire team.

Very enjoyable game and a brave performance.

Iggy Pope
13-11-2020, 06:10 PM
How did O'Donnell end up at Motherwell? Available for free in the summer. Would have though us, Aberdeen or even hearts would have took him. Even a championship club down south.

He was interviewed mid lockdown worried seek about not having a club or a deal as the timing of everything had left him without either as Killie had nothing to offer him. Motherwell deserve a lot of credit and some other clubs might ask themselves how they let him slip. He was first class on his debut v us if lacking fitness, and doesn’t appear to have looked back.

brog
13-11-2020, 07:09 PM
He can’t be any worse than £40k per week Shane Duffy

I agree. Funny thing is I saw quite a bit of Duffy at Brighton & he mostly played well. Was far better than Goldson!

Onceinawhile
13-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Him and o'donnell suit Scotland in that they can defend and defend well.

They wouldn't suit Hibs though, as we'd expect them to be able to actually attack or start attacks.

Scooter
13-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Him and o'donnell suit Scotland in that they can defend and defend well.

They wouldn't suit Hibs though, as we'd expect them to be able to actually attack or start attacks.

O'Donnell is better going forward than defending IMO. Also O'Donnell is only contracted to Motherwell until January 2021 so he could be offered terms now

Smartie
13-11-2020, 09:54 PM
I agree. Funny thing is I saw quite a bit of Duffy at Brighton & he mostly played well. Was far better than Goldson!

I think Duffy will do fine if he’s given time to settle.

Scottish football is weird - it gets a bad reputation down South but many high reputation players have bombed here. Some make slow starts but do fine once they’ve figured it out.

He should have everything required to succeed there but the whole 10 in a row obsession might mean they run out of patience quickly.

Clarence
13-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Should've been all over O'Donnell on a free in the summer

Correct.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 08:08 AM
O’Donnell isn’t the answer to our right back issues. He’s steady, but lacks any pace whatsoever, at least two occasions on Thursday when the winger just skipped past him inside. He’s no better or worse than Paul McGinn.

SChibs
14-11-2020, 08:47 AM
O’Donnell isn’t the answer to our right back issues. He’s steady, but lacks any pace whatsoever, at least two occasions on Thursday when the winger just skipped past him inside. He’s no better or worse than Paul McGinn.

If the players switched and we had O'Donnell we would be raving about him and wouldn't care at all about McGinn. Paul is playing very well this season but I think this is as good as he will get whereas I believe O'Donnell has more to give than he has shown for Scotland. He was very very good in that Killie team and I'm surprised he only got a move to Motherwell

lucky
14-11-2020, 09:10 AM
Both O’Donnell and Gallagher played well for Scotland and both doing well for their clubs but are they that much of an upgrade on McGinn and Porteous? Gallagher will be 30 in February next year and Ryan 22. Longer term Porteous will become a much better player and worth more to Hibs.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 09:20 AM
If the players switched and we had O'Donnell we would be raving about him and wouldn't care at all about McGinn. Paul is playing very well this season but I think this is as good as he will get whereas I believe O'Donnell has more to give than he has shown for Scotland. He was very very good in that Killie team and I'm surprised he only got a move to Motherwell

It’s just my opinion, I think he’s easily the weak link in the back 5, he’s extremely slow and has very little defensive positioning sense. There’s obviously reasons no one signed him. He’s nearly 30, hardly going to go on and improve from here. If he wasn’t an ex Steve Clarke player would he be in the team? Doubtful. I’m absolutely delighted but right back is still a big concern, the only concern currently in our squad. Palmer for me currently is a better option playing at a higher level, but long term we really need to try and find a solution, Patterson plays further forward for the 21s but he’s a right back for Rangers and could potentially step up in years to come.

Since90+2
14-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Both O’Donnell and Gallagher played well for Scotland and both doing well for their clubs but are they that much of an upgrade on McGinn and Porteous? Gallagher will be 30 in February next year and Ryan 22. Longer term Porteous will become a much better player and worth more to Hibs.

At this moment I'd say Gallagher is a better player than Porteous by a good margin. 30/31/32 are probably the prime years for centre halfs so id say Gallagher has another couple of years at his prime.

Porteous has potential but he has alot of improving to do. I'd struggle at this moment in time to imagine him handling Mitrovic like Gallagher did.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 09:35 AM
At this moment I'd say Gallagher is a better player than Porteous by a good margin. 30/31/32 are probably the prime years for centre halfs so id say Gallagher has another couple of years at his prime.

Porteous has potential but he has alot of improving to do. I'd struggle at this moment in time to imagine him handling Mitrovic like Gallagher did.

I agree, however if you watched Motherwell last weekend against Celtic then Gallagher would have been nowhere near the squad let alone the first 11. He’s stepped up massively on the international stage, very impressive. There’s no doubting Porteous could do the same but again, there’s no guarantees.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2020, 12:42 PM
It’s just my opinion, I think he’s easily the weak link in the back 5, he’s extremely slow and has very little defensive positioning sense. There’s obviously reasons no one signed him. He’s nearly 30, hardly going to go on and improve from here. If he wasn’t an ex Steve Clarke player would he be in the team? Doubtful. I’m absolutely delighted but right back is still a big concern, the only concern currently in our squad. Palmer for me currently is a better option playing at a higher level, but long term we really need to try and find a solution, Patterson plays further forward for the 21s but he’s a right back for Rangers and could potentially step up in years to come.

The reason no one signed him patter just doesn't work. He is playing every game for Scotland and Motherwell. He is a quality player. He would be a better right wing back option than anyone we have IMO. He had caps before Clarke.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 12:45 PM
The reason no one signed him patter just doesn't work. He is playing every game for Scotland and Motherwell. He is a quality player. He would be a better right wing back option than anyone we have IMO. He had caps before Clarke.

Does it not? If he was that quality, on a free transfer, with no competition, I’m sure someone would have taken him. Like I said, it’s my opinion but he’s easily the weakest player in our team, poor defensively and very slow. He’s decent going forward.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Does it not? If he was that quality, on a free transfer, with no competition, I’m sure someone would have taken him. Like I said, it’s my opinion but he’s easily the weakest player in our team, poor defensively and very slow. He’s decent going forward.

Someone did take him, Motherwell?

Some of the best players to have played for Hibs in the last 20 years have been frees that no one else wanted.

Since90+2
14-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Agreed. He's the weak link in the side and teams at the final will aim to exploit that.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Someone did take him, Motherwell?

Some of the best players to have played for Hibs in the last 20 years have been frees that no one else wanted.

A large number of weeks after he was available, on a contract until January. It was a sideways step from Killie, no one at a higher level took a punt on him.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2020, 01:55 PM
A large number of weeks after he was available, on a contract until January. It was a sideways step from Killie, no one at a higher level took a punt on him.
Again, many, many quality players joined us in exactly the same way.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 02:23 PM
Again, many, many quality players joined us in exactly the same way.

Many have joined on a free, mostly signing pre contracts, or deals very quickly after letting their deal run out or weighing up their options. O’Donnell had to go searching for training facilities and ended up desperately signing a short term deal with Motherwell.

Fair enough if your opinion is that O’Donnell is the answer to our right back issues, and is going to get better. My opinion is he was lucky at least twice on Thursday when players skipped away from him at ease, and that he is already fairly slow, and will only get slower.

Since90+2
14-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Many have joined on a free, mostly signing pre contracts, or deals very quickly after letting their deal run out or weighing up their options. O’Donnell had to go searching for training facilities and ended up desperately signing a short term deal with Motherwell.

Fair enough if your opinion is that O’Donnell is the answer to our right back issues, and is going to get better. My opinion is he was lucky at least twice on Thursday when players skipped away from him at ease, and that he is already fairly slow, and will only get slower.

He's a good SPFL player and would have been a good signing for Hibs. He's not an international standard full back though and against teams like England and Croatia he will get the absolute runaround.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Who says he went desperately seeking anything? Maybe, like most adults, he waited and made his own decision? Maybe he turned down foreign clubs? You've no idea really.

He is a quality player at spl level. He would play for Hibs at right wing back.

Hibs have signed many quality players without clubs for whatever reason.

B.H.F.C
14-11-2020, 02:48 PM
He's a good SPFL player and would have been a good signing for Hibs. He's not an international standard full back though and against teams like England and Croatia he will get the absolute runaround.

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, he wasn’t up against any old mugs the other night and did well (as they all did).

I’m no saying we’re going to reach a semi final, but I don’t think we’re too dissimilar to Wales in 2016. We’ve got a few really top players. Individually, the quality then varies throughout the rest of the squad but sometimes players of lesser quality just fit in to a team, or a way of playing, and it works better. Gallagher the captain of Motherwell keeping Cooper the captain of Leeds out is probably the best example of that.

Since90+2
14-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, he wasn’t up against any old mugs the other night and did well (as they all did).

I’m no saying we’re going to reach a semi final, but I don’t think we’re too dissimilar to Wales in 2016. We’ve got a few really top players. Individually, the quality then varies throughout the rest of the squad but sometimes players of lesser quality just fit in to a team, or a way of playing, and it works better. Gallagher the captain of Motherwell keeping Cooper the captain of Leeds out is probably the best example of that.

I agree with the Wales comparison to a certain extent, unfortunately for us we don't have a Gareth Bale in our side.

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 02:52 PM

I agree, although I don’t think he’d be a whole lot better than McGinn, or than Boyle if we played with a 3.

scoopyboy
14-11-2020, 04:25 PM

I think O'Donnell is good and I would take him at Hibs in a minute.

I do get your point about he was up for grabs for ages in the summer, thing for me is why nobody has signed him up for January as he has been available on a pre since he signed his short deal with Motherwell.

Ignore me if he already has signed one

hibbysam
14-11-2020, 05:01 PM
I think O'Donnell is good and I would take him at Hibs in a minute.

I do get your point about he was up for grabs for ages in the summer, thing for me is why nobody has signed him up for January as he has been available on a pre since he signed his short deal with Motherwell.

Ignore me if he already has signed one

I’d take him at hibs as well, but I don’t think he’d be a massive upgrade on what we have, although I think he would suit our style a bit better than McGinn.

I’m far from saying he’s a poor player, I just don’t feel he’s good enough as our right back long term for Scotland and he’s definitely the weakest player in our current team.

JimBHibees
14-11-2020, 05:06 PM
I’d take him at hibs as well, but I don’t think he’d be a massive upgrade on what we have, although I think he would suit our style a bit better than McGinn.

I’m far from saying he’s a poor player, I just don’t feel he’s good enough as our right back long term for Scotland and he’s definitely the weakest player in our current team.

Don't see that think he has been very good this season

Since90+2
14-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Don't see that think he has been very good this season

I think he means the Scotland team? If so it's hard to argue against.

JimBHibees
15-11-2020, 08:23 AM
I think he means the Scotland team? If so it's hard to argue against.

Yes agree.

Key West
15-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Yes agree.

Id like to think that our scouts were looking at O’Donnell and Gallagher both would have improved the current line up, we presently have 2 youngsters playing in a back 4, the expectations regarding Porteous
are far too high for a lad playing centre back, I like Hanlon but although he is a good footballer for a centre back he is nowhere near as aggressive as McGregor who unfortunately will play less games due to past injuries and the ageing process, Doig is another promising talent who needs guidance. McGinn has done alright but in my opinion O’Donnell is a far superior player and to be honest I was shocked when he went to Motherwell, Gallagher always impressed as being dominant when watching Livingston.

Brooster
15-11-2020, 10:29 AM

I didn't realise we had right back issues. O'Donnell is the best right back available to us at the moment and never lets us down in my opinion.

hibbysam
15-11-2020, 10:42 AM
I didn't realise we had right back issues. O'Donnell is the best right back available to us at the moment and never lets us down in my opinion.

Just my opinion that I don’t think he’s good enough for us to get to the next level. He lacks the pace and defensive awareness. He’s ok going forward but his mobility restricts our movement down that side and, as shown on Thursday, gets beaten by anyone with a yard of pace far easier than he should.

He’s steady enough, I just want better as I feel we need it to be competitive at the top table.

Brooster
15-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Just my opinion that I don’t think he’s good enough for us to get to the next level. He lacks the pace and defensive awareness. He’s ok going forward but his mobility restricts our movement down that side and, as shown on Thursday, gets beaten by anyone with a yard of pace far easier than he should.

He’s steady enough, I just want better as I feel we need it to be competitive at the top table.

Who would you recommend?

hibbysam
15-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Who would you recommend?

Nobody yet, that’s the issue that I’m raising. I’m hopeful that one of McCrorie, Patterson or Harvie will come through and prove to be an upgrade on this position longer term.

Brooster
15-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Nobody yet, that’s the issue that I’m raising. I’m hopeful that one of McCrorie, Patterson or Harvie will come through and prove to be an upgrade on this position longer term.

I think you are trying to raise an issue which doesn't exist. The majority (including the manager) are happy with the current incumbent who played an important part in our greatest achievement in 22 years.

hibbysam
15-11-2020, 11:12 AM
I think you are trying to raise an issue which doesn't exist. The majority (including the manager) are happy with the current incumbent who played an important part in our greatest achievement in 22 years.

So we should stand still and not try and improve? Your question of who can step in shows it’s clear it’s a position we still lack depth and quality in. Our team isn’t a finished article.

Brooster
15-11-2020, 11:25 AM
So we should stand still and not try and improve? Your question of who can step in shows it’s clear it’s a position we still lack depth and quality in. Our team isn’t a finished article.

My question doesn't apply that at all. You said O'Donnell isn't good enough so I asked who you would play at right back instead, you couldn't answer.

hibbysam
15-11-2020, 11:32 AM
My question doesn't apply that at all. You said O'Donnell isn't good enough so I asked who you would play at right back instead, you couldn't answer.

Just because he’s not good enough doesn’t mean we have someone better; although my opinion is that Palmer is a better player but still not good enough. At no point have I said that he shouldn’t be playing, it’s a position that I feel we need to try and find better though. Your opinion is different and that’s fair enough.

Speedy
15-11-2020, 01:12 PM

Hibbysam is spot on, we're definitely weak on the right side

B.H.F.C
15-11-2020, 02:10 PM

We are improving though. The likes of O’Donnell has went up a level in comparison to what he was doing for us a year ago. They deserve the opportunity to see if they can take that on further.

If there are better players they’ll come through and replace the one there.

JimBHibees
17-11-2020, 06:12 AM

Not sure McRorie is any better, Paterson is an awful footballer and Harvie is totally left sided. O'Donnell is probably the bes we have.

CorrieHibs
17-11-2020, 06:32 AM
Ryan Fredericks at West Ham could be an option. I think we have spoke to him in the past. But, players like him were probably waiting to see if we improved under Clarke. Now we are at the Euros, he might reconsider. Although, I would rather players who actually want to play for us no matter what.

hibbysam
17-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Not sure McRorie is any better, Paterson is an awful footballer and Harvie is totally left sided. O'Donnell is probably the bes we have.

Weren’t people saying Harvie has been playing right back for the 21’s? Not seen the lad play, purely going off reviews. Patterson isn’t an awful footballer, will probably be a first teamer for rangers before long.

JimBHibees
19-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Weren’t people saying Harvie has been playing right back for the 21’s? Not seen the lad play, purely going off reviews. Patterson isn’t an awful footballer, will probably be a first teamer for rangers before long.

Mixing up my Patersons :greengrin

Harvie looked good in the bits I saw but was very left footed so would be surprised if he played right back

Fergus52
19-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Hickey could be a shout for right back.

Has been playing well in Serie A this season, albeit at left back but he's completely two-footed so should have no trouble playing on the right.

CMurdoch
19-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Tierney has been much better at left back than Robertson in recent games so would play him there and move Robertson to right back.
Tierney is currently wasted at left centre back. Scotland has limited players of his ability so can't afford to waste them.
Robertson on the right would be an upgrade on SOD & Palmer.

MWHIBBIES
19-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Tierney has been much better at left back than Robertson in recent games so would play him there and move Robertson to right back.
Tierney is currently wasted at left centre back. Scotland has limited players of his ability so can't afford to waste them.
Robertson on the right would be an upgrade on SOD & Palmer.

He plays every week at left centre back at club level. Playing him in that position and Robertson left wing back is surely more natural (and thus, wasting them less) than moving 1 of them to right back?

JimBHibees
19-11-2020, 07:44 PM

Has been playing well in Serie A this season, albeit at left back but he's completely two-footed so should have no trouble playing on the right.

Thought he was quite right footed

CMurdoch
19-11-2020, 08:18 PM
He plays every week at left centre back at club level. Playing him in that position and Robertson left wing back is surely more natural (and thus, wasting them less) than moving 1 of them to right back?

Tierney was dangerous at left back against Slovakia and Robertson has been less effectual for Scotland in the same position.
SOD and Palmer both seem pretty hit and hope in the final third and Robertson playing there instead might give us better quality and decision making.

hibbysam
19-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Tierney was dangerous at left back against Slovakia and Robertson has been less effectual for Scotland in the same position.
SOD and Palmer both seem pretty hit and hope in the final third and Robertson playing there instead might give us better quality and decision making.

So by your reckoning Robertson has been poor at LWB, yet moving him to a position he has never played, on his weaker side, will somehow make him more effective? That’s extremely back to front thinking.

Would I rather have Considine/Tierney as our left side of defence, or Tierney/Robertson? Again, if your answer is the first one then I’d question if you were winding me up. Robertson may not have been on top form, but it’s a different role for Scotland and more emphasis is on defending which he has been fine with.

CMurdoch
20-11-2020, 11:00 AM
So by your reckoning Robertson has been poor at LWB, yet moving him to a position he has never played, on his weaker side, will somehow make him more effective? That’s extremely back to front thinking.

Would I rather have Considine/Tierney as our left side of defence, or Tierney/Robertson? Again, if your answer is the first one then I’d question if you were winding me up. Robertson may not have been on top form, but it’s a different role for Scotland and more emphasis is on defending which he has been fine with.

I didn't say poor, I said less effectual than Tierney
The quality on the right side of the team is an issue and moving Robertson there instead of O Donnell could qive us the quality we currently lack in that position.
Clarke will have considered it and rejected it so I appreciate that it probably wouldn't work.

The problem for most small nations is not having high quality players for all positions and Scotland is no different.
As things stand our biggest problem is scoring goals even when dominating games as we did for the whole game against Slovakia and half the game against Israel.
There are 2 parts to that and the first is getting quality service into the strikers and the current hit and hope approach from our right side is the most obvious weakness.
If I was Clarke I would be moving heaven and earth to get Tavernier in. He meets the UEFA residential requirement but not the current UK agreement but agreements can be worked round or broken. Obviously Tavernier himself would have to want to play but the Euros carrot is there.

This is a discussion forum so we are free to explore any option, however bizarre it may be and as I say I appreciate playing Robertson on his wrong side may not improve the service from the right but it's an option that hasn't been tried so i chucked it in the mixer.

hibbysam
20-11-2020, 12:11 PM
I didn't say poor, I said less effectual than Tierney
The quality on the right side of the team is an issue and moving Robertson there instead of O Donnell could qive us the quality we currently lack in that position.
Clarke will have considered it and rejected it so I appreciate that it probably wouldn't work.

The problem for most small nations is not having high quality players for all positions and Scotland is no different.
As things stand our biggest problem is scoring goals even when dominating games as we did for the whole game against Slovakia and half the game against Israel.
There are 2 parts to that and the first is getting quality service into the strikers and the current hit and hope approach from our right side is the most obvious weakness.
If I was Clarke I would be moving heaven and earth to get Tavernier in. He meets the UEFA residential requirement but not the current UK agreement but agreements can be worked round or broken. Obviously Tavernier himself would have to want to play but the Euros carrot is there.

This is a discussion forum so we are free to explore any option, however bizarre it may be and as I say I appreciate playing Robertson on his wrong side may not improve the service from the right but it's an option that hasn't been tried so i chucked it in the mixer.

I agree with the right back being an issue, and said so myself earlier in the thread. The Israel game again showed that I don’t feel O’Donnell is good enough. He’s solid, ok, but we need better to get better. Tierney as a left sided centre half bombs on anyway, him and Robertson work down the left. No need to change that. On the right side Palmer would be starting every game for me until we find someone better, or he may prove to be that person himself. He’s a better player than O’Donnell, playing at a more competitive level. It’s also a shame that Steven Fletcher has seemingly retired from international football as he is still scoring goals down south and is a better player than Dykes for me.

Brightside
20-11-2020, 01:06 PM

Once he's performed for the u21s maybe.

Since90+2
20-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Once he's performed for the u21s maybe.

If he's playing well and regularly in Seria A, a far higher standard than the Scottish Premiership, then he'd have no reason to have to play u21 first as he'd be doing it at a higher level already.

hibbysam
20-11-2020, 01:42 PM
If he's playing well and regularly in Seria A, a far higher standard than the Scottish Premiership, then he'd have no reason to have to play u21 first as he'd be doing it at a higher level already.

Again, except from playing a young lad who has never played right back in his life, at right back, and expecting him to perform there. There’s a reason we ditched Tierney from right back (a far far better player than Hickey).

Since90+2
20-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Again, except from playing a young lad who has never played right back in his life, at right back, and expecting him to perform there. There’s a reason we ditched Tierney from right back (a far far better player than Hickey).

He is undoubtedly a better player than Hickey. Though I've no doubt that Hickey will improve vastly from playing at a higher level in Seria A. The other thing to consider is Hickey is not nearly as 1 footed as Tierney and seems stronger on his right side.

If Hickey plays well and consistently in Seria A this season I think it's worth a consideration.

hibbysam
20-11-2020, 02:29 PM
He is undoubtedly a better player than Hickey. Though I've no doubt that Hickey will improve vastly from playing at a higher level in Seria A. The other thing to consider is Hickey is not nearly as 1 footed as Tierney and seems stronger on his right side.

If Hickey plays well and consistently in Seria A this season I think it's worth a consideration.

Is he? Must admit I’ve never seen him play much, but apart from one duff against us which took a huge deflection, I’ve barely even seen him use his right foot in the games Ive seen. He’s a left back and predominantly left footed, he’d always be inclined to get it back onto his left foot. The side is just starting to get a bit of balance to it again, I don’t think playing a left sided player at right wing back would be a sensible thing to do.

Since90+2
20-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Is he? Must admit I’ve never seen him play much, but apart from one duff against us which took a huge deflection, I’ve barely even seen him use his right foot in the games Ive seen. He’s a left back and predominantly left footed, he’d always be inclined to get it back onto his left foot. The side is just starting to get a bit of balance to it again, I don’t think playing a left sided player at right wing back would be a sensible thing to do.

He's extremely two footed. According to the article below coaches at Hearts never knew it he was right or left footed at first. He's also played right back previously.

The most two footed player he's ever seen according to Levein. That may or may not be correct but he's clearly very comfortable with either foot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/aaron-hickey-most-two-footed-16627083.amp

Fergus52
20-11-2020, 02:52 PM

That's just not really true.

Games I watched him for hearts he often cut back onto his right before crossing. Levein loves spouting pish but I think for once he was right about not knowing Hickey's strongest foot. He seems genuinely two-footed to me.

basehibby
20-11-2020, 02:59 PM
O’Donnell isn’t a great defender imo. Good going forward but defensively suspect. Gallagher is excellent. We have a lot of excellent CHs in Scotland now.

About time then - it's been a weakspot at international level for zonks