PDA

View Full Version : Norway v Israel Game Cancelled

Keith_M
11-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Game off because one of the Israeli squad tested positive for Covid (https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18863214.four-celtic-players-caught-coronavirus-chaos-two-forced-self-isolate/). The article mentions two Celtc players in the Israeli team might now have to go into isolation.

Was Marciano called up for this match?

Oscar T Grouch
11-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Game off because one of the Israeli squad tested positive for Covid (https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18863214.four-celtic-players-caught-coronavirus-chaos-two-forced-self-isolate/). The article mentions two Celtc players in the Israeli team might now have to go into isolation.

Was Marciano called up for this match?

Yeah Ofir was called into the squad with two other keepers, Harush and Nitzan.

Scott Allan Key
11-11-2020, 02:24 PM

Was Marciano called up for this match?Is this UEFA procedure? Can Israel not just play other players?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
11-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Is this UEFA procedure? Can Israel not just play other players?

It was cancelled at Norway's request.

I just hope Marciano wasn't in contact with the player who tested positive and now has to go into isolation.

500miles
11-11-2020, 02:35 PM
International football during a pandemic is ridiculous.

SJNB Hibby
11-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Especially friendlies

JimBHibees
11-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Scotland are due to play them next week in Israel

calumhibee1
11-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Especially friendlies

:agree:

Friendlies that involve travel between countries are a farce at this stage.

Speedy
11-11-2020, 04:03 PM
Scotland are due to play them next week in Israel

Fingers crossed it'll be another B team :greengrin

Magpie
11-11-2020, 04:39 PM

Every international break it seems to get worse.

hibbydog
11-11-2020, 05:32 PM

100%

It’s been proven and the cases just keep getting worse. Can’t believe they’ve shown such disregard for players health.

Not worth it at all tbh

EI255
11-11-2020, 05:40 PM

Was Marciano called up for this match?So, if several players now have to self isloste then why don't Livingston players have to?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
11-11-2020, 05:45 PM
So, if several players now have to self isloste then why don't Livingston players have to?

I give in. Why are Livingston involved?

Keith_M
11-11-2020, 06:01 PM
I give in. Why are Livingston involved?

Livingston played a friendly with Israel?

:dunno:

Clarence
11-11-2020, 07:00 PM
So, if several players now have to self isloste then why don't Livingston players have to?

Was Gary Holt training Mossad agents or Israeli special forces?

Scott Allan Key
11-11-2020, 07:07 PM
Was Gary Holt training Mossad agents or Israeli special forces?It's a conspiracy.

ancient hibee
11-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Was Gary Holt training Mossad agents or Israeli special forces?

Livingston played a friendly with Israel?

:dunno:

I think the Gary Holt connection is more likely.Don’t tell the Arabs in Dundee.

hibbysam
11-11-2020, 07:50 PM
100%

It’s been proven and the cases just keep getting worse. Can’t believe they’ve shown such disregard for players health.

Not worth it at all tbh

These players would’ve had the virus whether on international duty or not. How many players test positive their first week back at their clubs after internationals? Not very many I’d imagine. That to me says the issue is at club level rather than international level.

StarMan10
12-11-2020, 10:05 AM
These players would’ve had the virus whether on international duty or not. How many players test positive their first week back at their clubs after internationals? Not very many I’d imagine. That to me says the issue is at club level rather than international level.

You seem to be completely missing the point. We’re in a worldwide health pandemic. Players travelling from various countries with varying degrees of restrictions etc. and congregating together and then playing another team in a pointless international friendly is ridiculous.

If you can’t see how the above increase chance of exposure then I don’t what else to say. Add in the fact that a couple players testing positive can mean whole teams having to isolate, resulting in further needless pressure on domestic clubs who are trying to thread a needle to successfully complete a league campaign without it getting shut down again.

Hibernian Verse
12-11-2020, 10:21 AM
You seem to be completely missing the point. We’re in a worldwide health pandemic. Players travelling from various countries with varying degrees of restrictions etc. and congregating together and then playing another team in a pointless international friendly is ridiculous.

If you can’t see how the above increase chance of exposure then I don’t what else to say. Add in the fact that a couple players testing positive can mean whole teams having to isolate, resulting in further needless pressure on domestic clubs who are trying to thread a needle to successfully complete a league campaign without it getting shut down again.

Not anywhere near as ridiculous as those that went on holidays abroad because they couldn't sit on their hands for a summer. Footballers get special dispensation (whether that's right or not) and their travel is safer than Joe Bloggs'.

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Not anywhere near as ridiculous as those that went on holidays abroad because they couldn't sit on their hands for a summer. Footballers get special dispensation (whether that's right or not) and their travel is safer than Joe Bloggs'.

You think people doing something that could be what they work towards all year, every year as the main thing that they enjoy doing in their lives/something which is massively beneficial for peoples mental health is more ridiculous than footballers being flown all around the world to play in utterly pointless games?

Hibernian Verse
12-11-2020, 11:03 AM
You think people doing something that could be what they work towards all year, every year as the main thing that they enjoy doing in their lives/something which is massively beneficial for peoples mental health is more ridiculous than footballers being flown all around the world to play in utterly pointless games?Yeah, actually. I think it's completely selfish and know people that have come back with Covid and they regret their choice.

Are you seriously going to tell me that going on holiday is something people do for mental health grounds? I know plenty of people who go on holiday and its not to sort out clinical depression.

Sorry to have triggered you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Yeah, actually. I think it's completely selfish and know people that have come back with Covid and they regret their choice.

Each to their own. I know I’d value peoples mental health over international friendly games where half the players would rather not turn up anyway.

Following on from your edit, if you don’t think a holiday is good for peoples mental health then bash on.

Of course folk travelling from probably about 15 different countries to Norway to congregate together for a meaningless game of football is so much more sensible.

Hibernian Verse
12-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Each to their own. I know I’d value peoples mental health over international friendly games where half the players would rather not turn up anyway.

Following on from your edit, if you don’t think a holiday is good for peoples mental health then bash on.Its quite something that you've turned my post which, I feel, clearly referenced covid health issues into a mental health debate. I lone worked every day in an office whilst most of the country got weeks off work so please don't try and get on your high horse about mental health to me. I didnt resort to putting peoples physical health at risk because I was desperate for a pint on the beach in Spain when I finally got some time off.

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Its quite something that you've turned my post which, I feel, clearly referenced covid health issues into a mental health debate. I lone worked every day in an office whilst most of the country got weeks off work so please don't try and get on your high horse about mental health to me. I didnt resort to putting peoples physical health at risk because I was desperate for a pint on the beach in Spain when I finally got some time off.

Sure thing pal.

StarMan10
12-11-2020, 11:18 AM

I understand where you’re coming from but you seem to be excusing point A by bringing in an irrelevant point Z.

Question - does international football in the current climate result in players contracting COVID and/or result in disruption through isolation of players whom were closely exposed?

Answer - Yes

Now obviously I’m sure there plenty reasons it is still continuing (mainly £ and € imo) but it is what it is.

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 11:22 AM
I understand where you’re coming from but you seem to be excusing point A by bringing in an irrelevant point Z.

Question - does international football in the current climate result in players contracting COVID and/or result in disruption through isolation of players whom were closely exposed?

Answer - Yes

Now obviously I’m sure there plenty reasons it is still continuing (mainly £ and € imo) but it is what it is.

Exactly. There can be very little argument for international friendlies just now given the amount of players and staff congregating from so many different countries to then head back to whatever countries they work in for the sake of a meaningless 90 minutes of football.

Hibernian Verse
12-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Exactly. There can be very little argument for international friendlies just now given the amount of players and staff congregating from so many different countries to then head back to whatever countries they work in for the sake of a meaningless 90 minutes of football.Calum, I agree that its likely unnecessary. I just feel that there are other things deemed necessary that are more ridiculous, which was the word I picked up on.

hibbysam
12-11-2020, 12:24 PM

Answer - Yes

What about European football? What about domestic football, players travelling tens and hundreds of miles into higher prevalence areas to play a game. Shall we just close football down completely again? Like I said the players that tested positive now had the virus when they were at their clubs. It wasn’t international football that resulted in them getting it, the only downside is the couple of close contacts have to isolate.

StarMan10
12-11-2020, 01:14 PM
What about European football? What about domestic football, players travelling tens and hundreds of miles into higher prevalence areas to play a game. Shall we just close football down completely again? Like I said the players that tested positive now had the virus when they were at their clubs. It wasn’t international football that resulted in them getting it, the only downside is the couple of close contacts have to isolate.

Each iteration increases the scale of things, and therefore the dangers and problems that come with it.

Domestic football - clubs from the same nation adhering to the same rules at all times.

European football - 2 clubs playing from different nations following their own nation/association’s rules and then UEFA’s protocols.

International football - Players playing in several different nations meeting up and playing another team of the same situation.

From a purely risk based assessment POV, there can be no argument that International football is the most dangerous/complex iteration when dealing with a contagious virus.

hibbysam
12-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Each iteration increases the scale of things, and therefore the dangers and problems that come with it.

Domestic football - clubs from the same nation adhering to the same rules at all times.

European football - 2 clubs playing from different nations following their own nation/association’s rules and then UEFA’s protocols.

International football - Players playing in several different nations meeting up and playing another team of the same situation.

From a purely risk based assessment POV, there can be no argument that International football is the most dangerous/complex iteration when dealing with a contagious virus.

But they’re all big risks. Clubs domestically aren’t following the same rules. Motherwell for example in Lanarkshire could play Ross county, one is basically in tier 4, the other is in tier 1.

There are mitigation’s for all risks, regardless of how many there are. If we aren’t allowed to travel outwith our council area just now, then the argument given for stopping international football should then stop domestic football.

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 03:06 PM
But they’re all big risks. Clubs domestically aren’t following the same rules. Motherwell for example in Lanarkshire could play Ross county, one is basically in tier 4, the other is in tier 1.

There are mitigation’s for all risks, regardless of how many there are. If we aren’t allowed to travel outwith our council area just now, then the argument given for stopping international football should then stop domestic football.

They’re also competitive and worthwhile though. International friendlies are a waste of time at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic. Competitive international football I can accept there’s a point behind it. Teams playing friendlies is a nonsense.

hibbysam
12-11-2020, 07:11 PM
They’re also competitive and worthwhile though. International friendlies are a waste of time at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic. Competitive international football I can accept there’s a point behind it. Teams playing friendlies is a nonsense.

Again does that go for all friendlies or just international ones? These teams have competitive games next week, this friendly wouldn’t have been any different to those.

calumhibee1
12-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Again does that go for all friendlies or just international ones? These teams have competitive games next week, this friendly wouldn’t have been any different to those.

What other friendlies are being played at this stage of the pandemic? Vast majority of friendlies in the summer were kept fairly local and that was at a point when the virus was much more under control.

It’s also one ‘bubble’ facing another ‘bubble’. International friendlies see about 20 bubbles come together from tens of different countries.

hibbysam
12-11-2020, 08:07 PM
What other friendlies are being played at this stage of the pandemic? Vast majority of friendlies in the summer were kept fairly local and that was at a point when the virus was much more under control.

It’s also one ‘bubble’ facing another ‘bubble’. International friendlies see about 20 bubbles come together from tens of different countries.

There are friendlies happening all over the place. Secondly apart from the very top teams, we don’t have bubbles. The players go about their normal routines every day. Funnily enough they do have real bubbles when they go with internationals. Locked inside a hotel, training facility and private planes. Far safer.