PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Battery

Ozyhibby
10-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Anyone know if they are any good? Always wary of these type of link ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
10-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Dont think there is anything to be wary off, but i also wouldnt place too much importance on it.

St Pauli Hibee
10-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Well they are in the USL (2nd Tier) of US Soccer League behind the MLS. I posted something on the other thread about MLS trialists & a strategic partnership like what Aberdeen have with Atlanta United. This looks very similar to what we have just announced albeit with a not so glamorous club.

matty_f
10-11-2020, 01:25 PM
I thought it was a corporate sponsorship at first, took a moment to realise this was one of the partnerships being established.

Looks like both clubs have a clear idea of what they want to gain, so hopefully it’s as beneficial as they think it’ll be.

nonshinyfinish
10-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Well they are in the USL (2nd Tier) of US Soccer League behind the MLS

Based on the name I assumed they're NCAA.

CockneyRebel
10-11-2020, 01:39 PM
Based on the name I assumed they're NCAA.

Saw what you did there :wink:

neil7908
10-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Bit disappointed that it's not an MLS side nut hopefully still create some good opportunities for us.

number9dream
10-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Is Ian Gordon the son of Ron?

I'm not sure Robbie Crawford is the answer but we'll wait and see...

SouthMoroccoStu
10-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Bit disappointed that it's not an MLS side nut hopefully still create some good opportunities for us.

That's how I see it

chippy
10-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Almost as underwhelming as our last 2 risky signings

St Pauli Hibee
10-11-2020, 02:02 PM
I agree that i was hoping for a MLS team as opposed to a USL outfit, but the US soccer system is completely mental with a team like Inter Miami (David Beckham's team) just forming & immediately jumping into the MLS as a new franchise as opposed to working their way up through the ranks. If you have money in the US you can do anything you want in the "soccer world"

In saying that not excited by Robbie Crawford in the slightest as iv'e seen him in the flesh & we have better midfielders in our squad. Thomas Roberts & Leland Archer however look exciting talents

Billy Whizz
10-11-2020, 02:02 PM
Would make a nice pre season training camp/games, when we’re allowed back to travel

plhibs
10-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Did the The rangers not play them in a wee pre season jaunt over there ?

Brightside
10-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Rangers have the same thing with Orange County. Good experience for the young players etc but of almost no importance to the majority of the fan base.

DaveF
10-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Great for golfers with Kiawah Island and Augusta not too far away.

Hakim Sar
10-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Underwhelmed by this, particularly the obscure Crawford announcement. Trust us to invite over our first player as a Scottish journeyman never-has-been never-will-be.

We will get zero exposure over there operating at such a low level.

Might be nice for our youth players to have the experience of new surroundings, but for the costs of transportation, accommodation and insurance I am extremely wary over any prospective benefits.

Poor announcement imho. No glamour friendly either. We will also get ripped for linking up with such a crappy team.

Brightside
10-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Underwhelmed by this, particularly the obscure Crawford announcement. Trust us to invite over our first player as a Scottish journeyman never-has-been never-will-be.

Might be nice for our youth players to have the experience of new surroundings, but for the costs of transportation, accommodation and insurance I am extremely wary over any prospective benefits.

Poor announcement imho. No glamour friendly either. We will also get ripped for linking up with such a crappy team.

Ripped by who? Are Orange County a good team?

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Sounds like an American Footballer.

Hakim Sar
10-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Ripped by who? Are Orange County a good team?

I believe we will get ripped of our rivals for this. I am not an Orange County or a Kentucky Derby fan. If hearts announced a link up with Shawshank Redemption in the US 3rd tier or whatever I think we would be sticking the boot in.

Hope for the positives but I’m expecting nothing.

Billy Whizz
10-11-2020, 02:28 PM
I believe we will get ripped of our rivals for this. I am not an Orange County or a Kentucky Derby fan. If hearts announced a link up with Shawshank Redemption in the US 3rd tier or whatever I think we would be sticking the boot in.

We were never going to get near the Big clubs

Let’s just give this a chance, instead of knocking it before we find out a bit more

Hakim Sar
10-11-2020, 02:32 PM

Let’s just give this a chance, instead of knocking it before we find out a bit more

Agreed. Hoping we at the very least expand the scouting network and have a base over there to hopefully find a cracking player. I just have my doubts.

Bristolhibby
10-11-2020, 02:55 PM
I agree that i was hoping for a MLS team as opposed to a USL outfit, but the US soccer system is completely mental with a team like Inter Miami (David Beckham's team) just forming & immediately jumping into the MLS as a new franchise as opposed to working their way up through the ranks. If you have money in the US you can do anything you want in the "soccer world"

In saying that not excited by Robbie Crawford in the slightest as iv'e seen him in the flesh & we have better midfielders in our squad. Thomas Roberts & Leland Archer however look exciting talents

IIRC Beckhams move to the MLS also got him first dibs on an expansion franchise.

Miami Dade (as we all know from the US Elections) is massive. Huge market. Also

Miami is a nice place to be based, very agreeable climate.

J

hibee_nation
10-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Wonder if Battery.net will be full of moaning faced gits crying they wish they had teamed up with a big club in Europe.

Lendo
10-11-2020, 03:03 PM

Jesus wept, what does this even mean? :rolleyes: Ripped by who or what reason?

JimBHibees
10-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Sounds a good initiative and a bit if innovation. Makes sense and nothing really to lose.

JimBHibees
10-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Jesus wept, what does this even mean? :rolleyes:

Some pubs are still opening :greengrin

CapitalGreen
10-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Why do you care what our rivals think/say? Do you covet their approval?

Iain G
10-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Christ you are a happy camper aren't you!

I think this is a positive initiative by Hibs as part of a wider strategy of partnering with clubs and building a network which is good for sharing ideas as well as to look at potential signings / providing opportunity for our players to learn from new surroundings.

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Jesus wept, what does this even mean? :rolleyes: Ripped by who or what reason?
We won't, there are positives as well as negatives with the American club......

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 03:33 PM
We won't, there are positives and negatives with the American club......

I wondered how long it would take. :greengrin

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 03:36 PM
Sorry mate, puns are irresistible :greengrin

Billy Whizz
10-11-2020, 03:40 PM
26 degrees in Charleston today, only saying like

Iain G
10-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Guilty as charged! :wink:

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 03:51 PM
26 degrees in Charleston today, only saying like
Currently 25 degrees ootside my hoose rising to 27 by 3pm. Nice to have some cooler weather to be honest :greengrin

Billy Whizz
10-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Currently 25 degrees ootside my hoose rising to 27 by 3pm. Nice to have some cooler weather to be honest :greengrin

You’re obviously not in Edinburgh

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 03:56 PM
You’re obviously not in Edinburgh
I don't miss cold weather much :greengrin

Unseen work
10-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Who?

Thank god Ron used his connections to get such a good club to partner with, if not the likes of Robbie Crawford would have slipped through the net.

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Saving up for the summer 2021 friendly out there.

The Captain....
10-11-2020, 04:14 PM
Meh...neither excited or disappointed with this news. I doubt it will make any real difference to the quality of the squad while it lasts.

Stuart93
10-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Who?

Thank god Ron used his connections to get such a good club to partner with, if not the likes of Robbie Crawford would have slipped through the net.

I’m imagining this is purely to give them the experience and that’s it

Diclonius
10-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Meh

bingo70
10-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Aberdeen have a link up with an MLS side.

Looks to me like this partnership will be more beneficial for them than us. Not sure what we can learn from such a small club in terms of off field commercial activity.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 04:26 PM
I’m imagining this is purely to give them the experience and that’s it

He played for Rangers before jobbing. It makes little sense unless he’s wanting back home to the UK and we are letting him train because of connections.

Andy74
10-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Did you bother reading it?

Clearly the ‘Crawford announcement’ is that he’s one of the players we are letting them send to train with us as part of the arrangement. There’s no suggestion it is in any way a trial.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Aberdeen have a link up with an MLS side.

Looks to me like this partnership will be more beneficial for them than us. Not sure what we can learn from such a small club in terms of off field commercial activity.

Yeah I’m failing to see many positives with this like. Have they got a tie in with a bigger club in the mls even?

I think we all got excited thinking it was going to be Atalanta esq so a pub team isn’t the greatest of announcements. There must be benefits though? Maybe getting our young players used to plastic pitches?

Rumble de Thump
10-11-2020, 04:30 PM
All the reasons for the link up were mentioned in Hibs' statement on it. There are only positives that can come from it.

Billy Whizz
10-11-2020, 04:30 PM
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/charleston-battery-sold-to-new-owner-after-3-tumultuous-years-under-former-leadership/article_31a69d94-fa8d-11e9-befd-8315d8114ee5.html

New owner like Hibs, and lots of history too

Since452
10-11-2020, 04:32 PM

They'd probably take us to extra time right now

Andy74
10-11-2020, 04:36 PM
Yeah I’m failing to see many positives with this like. Have they got a tie in with a bigger club in the mls even?

I think we all got excited thinking it was going to be Atalanta esq so a pub team isn’t the greatest of announcements. There must be benefits though? Maybe getting our young players used to plastic pitches?

I do wonder why some of you bother ‘supporting’ Hibs.

If it’s such hard work go and do something else that gives you some pleasure.

Brightside
10-11-2020, 04:37 PM

Whats the benefit of Rangers & Orange County? Have you seen anything come out of the Aberdeen one? People are over playing the importance of this stuff.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 04:38 PM

It’s not hard work at all. Supporting the club isn’t just accepting every decision is for the best and making every situation a positive while slagging off others thinking your some kind of better supporter Andy.

Does the US scene have a Scottish cup style tournament? Be interesting to follow them if so.

Vault Boy
10-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Mon the Battery.

Mr. Wonderful
10-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Weren't we rumoured to be setting up links with more than one US club?

Billy Whizz
Weren't we rumoured to be setting up links with more than one US club?

Thought it was one US and one Scottish club?

The 90+2
Whats the benefit of Rangers & Orange County? Have you seen anything come out of the Aberdeen one? People are over playing the importance of this stuff.

Aberdeen got a decent player on loan. I’ve no idea why or who the huns teamed up with Orange County.

If it’s not important why do so in the first place? I’m merely asking the benefits of this link up? Don’t say we weren’t all hoping for a major link up with an mls club either then backtrack and say it was never going to happen.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Mon the Battery.

Let’s hope it energises us.

Unseen work
10-11-2020, 04:45 PM
In all seriousness it’s a little bit underwhelming as I was expecting an MLS team like FC Dallas, similar to what Aberdeen have with Atlanta.

Charleston Battery probably won’t be able to provide us much in return and they’re probably getting the better end of the deal by using our scouting network and potentially a couple of youngsters.

Id be surprised if any of their players were good enough for us, at least it will hopefully expand our global fan base even a little bit and make us a bit better known over there.

Nothing negative about it but just not as exciting as some had hoped for.

I know they were speaking about a few clubs so I’m still hopeful there will be an MLS team announced and a big European club.

Lago
10-11-2020, 04:59 PM
All the reasons for the link up were mentioned in Hibs' statement on it. There are only positives that can come from it.
Some can't wait to be disappointed.

Heisenberg
10-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Leland Archer was voted their MVP for last season so it looks like we’re getting the best they’ve got to offer and a wee Scottish guy wanting home for Christmas in for some training :greengrin

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 05:01 PM
In all seriousness it’s a little bit underwhelming as I was expecting an MLS team like FC Dallas, similar to what Aberdeen have with Atlanta.

Charleston Battery probably won’t be able to provide us much in return and they’re probably getting the better end of the deal by using our scouting network and potentially a couple of youngsters.

Id be surprised if any of their players were good enough for us, at least it will hopefully expand our global fan base even a little bit and make us a bit better known over there.

Nothing negative about it but just not as exciting as some had hoped for.

I know they were speaking about a few clubs so I’m still hopeful there will be an MLS team announced and a big European club.

Spot on.

CA Hibby
10-11-2020, 05:06 PM
It’s not hard work at all. Supporting the club isn’t just accepting every decision is for the best and making every situation a positive while slagging off others thinking your some kind of better supporter Andy.

Does the US scene have a Scottish cup style tournament? Be interesting to follow them if so.

Yes..The US Open Cup

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Yes..The US Open Cup

Excellent. When does it begin? Will love to see them charge towards the later rounds.

Haymaker
10-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Excellent. When does it begin? Will love to see them charge towards the later rounds.

Our boys made the final in 2008.

Keith_M
10-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Anybody mentioned this guy yet?

https://nathanbullenmarketing.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/duracell-one.jpg?w=640

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Our boys made the final in 2008.

Good to know. Any idea when it starts again?

Dmas
10-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Did you bother reading it?

Clearly the ‘Crawford announcement’ is that he’s one of the players we are letting them send to train with us as part of the arrangement. There’s no suggestion it is in any way a trial.

I think Crawford coming over is to help the other lad, Leland archer won the clubs best defender award and was also in the leagues team of the year he comes over for the club to have a look at with a guy he knows and that guys knows the city/country be a decent benefit for him early on.

truehibernian
10-11-2020, 06:14 PM
I think it's a great move by Hibs for a variety of reasons. The fact we are sending players across there to learn new sporting culture and in a very progressive footballing country is to be applauded. The coaching, facilities, and 'climate' are way above anything Scottish football offers in my opinion. Requires a mindset change which many young footballers need in this country.

I'd like us to similarly explore options in the Scandic countries, particularly Sweden, Norway and Denmark. The Euro ties we have played in recent times, v Malmo and Molde has shown that they have players technically better, fitter, and stronger. With a far better overall mentality.

Really good move by the club :aok:

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Let’s hope it energises us.
Will depend on how good a connection there is. We'll know as soon as he either signs or goes ohm.......

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Like many I'm a wee bit underwhelmed. For a club who have been on the go for such a long period in US terms they clearly have not enthused the locals in a metropolitan area of over 800,000 people if the size of their stadium is anything to go by, it looks like a slightly upmarket version of ICT's gaff, with their highest attendance in 2019 being less than 4,000. They don't have a major sports team within the state to compete with either.

I'm sure there are many benefits to our link up with them, but clearly lessons on how to grow our fanbase isn't going to be one of them :greengrin

Bronson
10-11-2020, 06:32 PM
I have to say I’m really struggling to understand the benefits of this one. They’re clearly miles below the level we play at, sending our players there to train could hamper their development and equally taking nobodies like robbie crawford on to train with us is a waste of time and resources.

I just don’t get it. Rubbish.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2020, 06:39 PM

He’s on a roll 90+2.

Big_Franck
10-11-2020, 06:41 PM
I have to say I’m really struggling to understand the benefits of this one. They’re clearly miles below the level we play at, sending our players there to train could hamper their development and equally taking nobodies like robbie crawford on to train with us is a waste of time and resources.

Have to say I agree with this. When Ron released that video saying that we were looking to link up with a club in the US it sounded quite exciting and the benefits of linking up with a decent side over there would be significant.

I really can't see any benefits to us whatsoever to linking up with a club at that level though. This sounds like a total waste of time to me.

Haymaker
10-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Good to know. Any idea when it starts again?

It didn't run this year so I imagine next March/April when (if) the new season starts

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 06:43 PM

I just don’t get it. Rubbish.I'm not meaning to have a go at you, but your last line is a prime example of why this place can be so infuriating.

Haymaker
10-11-2020, 06:44 PM
Will depend on how good a connection there is. We'll know as soon as he either signs or goes ohm.......

I've got a good friend in Charleston, cheeky trip for a pre season friendly H?

Eyrie
10-11-2020, 06:45 PM
The announcement doesn't bother me either way. We're unlikely to pick up any players but there is a possibility of our own youngsters gettting a change of scenery to hep them develop.

Your comments are shocking :na na:

truehibernian
10-11-2020, 06:58 PM

If there's not a Le Monde, Tiger Lily, Copper Blossom, or Candy Bar equivalent there then trust me, it won't hamper the youth players (or senior pros) development :cb we talk about Scottish players mindsets and mentality, it's a completely different environment there - it's to be applauded :aok:

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:00 PM

Aye, my feeling is it will just all go flat.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:00 PM
It didn't run this year so I imagine next March/April when (if) the new season starts

Thanks pal 👍

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:01 PM
He’s on a roll 90+2.

Yeah. It’s shocking form tbh. Got a feeling it will run and run though mate.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:02 PM

Andy on your back in 5,4,3....

Brightside
10-11-2020, 07:14 PM

Tbf you spend much more time being critical of Hibs than saying anything positive. A few seasons back Andy was like that. Now he’s a breath of fresh air.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Lets's all do the charleston
Lets's all do the charleston
na na na na, na na na na

i'm all for cheerleaders at HT, summer footy please

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Tbf you spend much more time being critical of Hibs than saying anything positive. A few seasons back Andy was like that. Now he’s a breath of fresh air.

What have I said critically today?

wallpaperman
10-11-2020, 07:22 PM
All I can add is that Charleston is a fine city to visit, full of history, beautiful part of the States.

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 07:30 PM
I've got a good friend in Charleston, cheeky trip for a pre season friendly H?
Oh hell yes - if Hibs are in the US I'll be there, Mrs Hobo too probably. Fat guy in a Hibs jersey ought to wreck any goodwill between the teams mind you..... :greengrin

HoboHarry
10-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Where's CWG at? The old goat probably still thinks the Charleston is the latest dance craze...... :greengrin

neil7908
10-11-2020, 07:38 PM

You haven't even commented on the topic. The first thing you've done is take to task other posters for daring to voice some scepticism about a link with a club you've probably never heard of.

If you find other Hibs fans and opposing opinions such hard work maybe you should avoid Hibs.net and find something else that gives you pleasure.

Aldo
10-11-2020, 07:39 PM
I might be in the minority here but I think it’s a positive move by the club and it gets us known across the pond.

America is huge and you never know what other connections this club may have!

We have secured quite a few deals over the last few months and this just promotes our club even further!

Well done Hibs and keep up the good work.

Smartie
10-11-2020, 07:43 PM
I have to say my initial reaction to the news was to look up “Charleston Battery” on urban dictionary rather than to google it. Who knew that they’d be a football team?

Whilst there is no exact entry for our new pals in that dictionary, there are certainly a few very interesting acts on there with “Charleston” in the title.

jacomo
10-11-2020, 07:45 PM
I think it's a great move by Hibs for a variety of reasons. The fact we are sending players across there to learn new sporting culture and in a very progressive footballing country is to be applauded. The coaching, facilities, and 'climate' are way above anything Scottish football offers in my opinion. Requires a mindset change which many young footballers need in this country.

I'd like us to similarly explore options in the Scandic countries, particularly Sweden, Norway and Denmark. The Euro ties we have played in recent times, v Malmo and Molde has shown that they have players technically better, fitter, and stronger. With a far better overall mentality.

Really good move by the club :aok:

Which other Scandi nations did you have in mind?

:wink:

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:50 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣

truehibernian
10-11-2020, 07:51 PM

I was including Iceland, Finland, etc. :greengrin but I do think we should be looking at players in that region.

Bronson
10-11-2020, 07:57 PM
I'm not meaning to have a go at you, but your last line is a prime example of why this place can be so infuriating.

I’d like to think I’m a (relatively) level-headed poster on here so I’m curious as to why you think that?

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 07:59 PM
I’d like to think I’m a (relatively) level-headed poster on here so I’m curious as to why you think that?

Don’t take it personally. There’s about four or five posters recently that are using absolutely any chance to rip into other posters. It doesn’t matter what you post, and it won’t be discussed or debated, just put down for the sake of it.

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Don’t take it personally. There’s about four or five posters recently that are using absolutely any chance to rip into other posters. It doesn’t matter what you post, and it won’t be discussed or debated, just put down for the sake of it.You don't need to answer for me thanks.

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 08:37 PM
I’d like to think I’m a (relatively) level-headed poster on here so I’m curious as to why you think that?"I just don’t get it. Rubbish."

You don't understand, but instead of giving the benefit of doubt it's "rubbish".

Again, not aimed at you but it seems to be the default position of many.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 09:03 PM
You don't need to answer for me thanks.

Sorry, chief. Why the aggression all the time the last month?

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 09:04 PM
"I just don’t get it. Rubbish."

You don't understand, but instead of giving the benefit of doubt it's "rubbish".

Have you given an opinion why it’s rubbish?

It’s like when you call opinions all the time without even giving any constructive argument against.

Explain why the poster saying he doesn’t understand it, and it’s rubbish is wrong and negative instead of just empty words?

If you where to write “perfect, brilliant” and someone replied belittling your comments without explanation you would feel agitated, no?

Moulin Yarns
10-11-2020, 09:09 PM
If not already done

Ya dancer 😉

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 09:17 PM

It’s like when you call opinions all the time without even giving any constructive argument against.

Explain why the poster saying he doesn’t understand it, and it’s rubbish is wrong and negative instead of just empty words?

If you where to write “perfect, brilliant” and someone replied belittling your comments without explanation you would feel agitated, no?Are you familiar with quotation marks? Google them then you can apologise.

Brightside
10-11-2020, 09:41 PM

If you where to write “perfect, brilliant” and someone replied belittling your comments without explanation you would feel agitated, no?

In what way is it rubbish? There is a level between rubbish and brilliant. Hibs aren’t claiming anything brilliant here yet some people are just negative. Look at any Player thread on here, most match threads, jack ross threads. Lots of very negative points just for the sake of being negative.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Are you familiar with quotation marks? Google them then you can apologise.

Again, why be so condescending?

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 09:51 PM
In what way is it rubbish? There is a level between rubbish and brilliant. Hibs aren’t claiming anything brilliant here yet some people are just negative. Look at any Player thread on here, most match threads, jack ross threads. Lots of very negative points just for the sake of being negative.

What are you on about? I lead talking about other posters comments being called rubbish and I agree.

No it’s not negative for the sake of it either. It’s people giving opinions on a message board mate. Why take so much personal offence?

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 09:52 PM
Again, why be so condescending?Two posts in a row you had a pop at me but I'm being condescending?

I never said anything was rubbish. I was quoting Bronson, but you pulled me up for it anyway.

Bronson
10-11-2020, 09:57 PM
"I just don’t get it. Rubbish."

I explained in my original post why I felt it was rubbish. They’re a club operating at a far lower level than us and we seem to gain next to nothing from swapping players to each training camp. Robbie Crawford, a guy who fell down the Scottish ladder to junior level 3 years ago joining us for training, it just makes no sense to me. That’s what I don’t get, if anyone can tell me the plus side to that I’d be delighted to listen.

Brightside
10-11-2020, 10:03 PM
What are you on about? I lead talking about other posters comments being called rubbish and I agree.

No it’s not negative for the sake of it either. It’s people giving opinions on a message board mate. Why take so much personal offence?

I’m not personally offended in the slightest. Would be good to have a few more positive threads tho.

Iain G
10-11-2020, 10:04 PM
I explained in my original post why I felt it was rubbish. They’re a club operating at a far lower level than us and we seem to gain next to nothing from swapping players to each training camp. Robbie Crawford, a guy who fell down the Scottish ladder to junior level 3 years ago joining us for training, it just makes no sense to me. That’s what I don’t get, if anyone can tell me the plus side to that I’d be delighted to listen.

So there is one bit your don't understand and that taints the whole link up and the very clear positive reasons in the original story as rubbish?

Plenty of potential positives could come from this and it's good to see Hibs trying new ideas to broaden horizons and make connections.

A 6ft 4 centre half with a good last season under his belt sounds an interesting prospect?

Magpie
10-11-2020, 10:12 PM
Terrible team name 😂

Rumble de Thump
10-11-2020, 10:17 PM
The benefits of the partnership were detailed in Hibs' statement. For anyone who can't imagine the benefits and has formed an opinion without reading the statment, you can check it out here: https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-fc-seal-strategic-partnership-with-charleston-battery

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Two posts in a row you had a pop at me but I'm being condescending?

I never said anything was rubbish. I was quoting Bronson, but you pulled me up for it anyway.

Check your replies. No need mate.

The 90+2
10-11-2020, 11:17 PM
I’m not personally offended in the slightest. Would be good to have a few more positive threads tho.

Why not just tell the truth instead of being a cheerleader? Makes no sense.

Peevemor
10-11-2020, 11:34 PM
Check your replies. No need mate.No need for what? Away and pester someone else - I've no idea what you're on about.

hibee_nation
10-11-2020, 11:51 PM
No need for what? Away and pester someone else - I've no idea what you're on about.

He made an arse of it but is too thick to see it mate.

Haymaker
11-11-2020, 02:04 AM
Oh hell yes - if Hibs are in the US I'll be there, Mrs Hobo too probably. Fat guy in a Hibs jersey ought to wreck any goodwill between the teams mind you..... :greengrin

Imagine all us Hibs fans rolling into Charleston boozer...

Bronson
11-11-2020, 07:29 AM
So there is one bit your don't understand and that taints the whole link up and the very clear positive reasons in the original story as rubbish?

Plenty of potential positives could come from this and it's good to see Hibs trying new ideas to broaden horizons and make connections.

A 6ft 4 centre half with a good last season under his belt sounds an interesting prospect?

The player development angle is the main focus of the hibs statement hence why I’m mainly talking about that.

They also mention scouting networks and sharing best practices, which sounds great for Charleston Battery but what can we honestly learn from them? I don’t mean that to sound arrogant, but when they operate at a far lower standard I find it difficult to get excited about things we can learn from them.

If anyone is in doubt that the operate at a far lower standard, again just look at where Robbie Crawford’s career path took him before he crossed the pond - junior level.

If this was an MLS side I would get it.

nonshinyfinish
11-11-2020, 07:42 AM
Unusually, I think it's a good thing that this thread is so polarised. Without both positives and negatives we'll never have a successful Battery link-up.

Since452
11-11-2020, 07:53 AM
Unusually, I think it's a good thing that this thread is so polarised. Without both positives and negatives we'll never have a successful Battery link-up.

Hopefully we can give it a right good jump start

Rumble de Thump
11-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Robbie Crawford played three games for East Kilbride so there's nothing good that can come from this.

Since452
11-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Robbie Crawford played three games for East Kilbride so there's nothing good that can come from this.

I don't see the point of diluting the squad with sub standard players. Seems strange

Rumble de Thump
11-11-2020, 08:08 AM
I don't see the point of diluting the squad with sub standard players. Seems strange

The point is that their players will be able to train with our development squad while their own club is having a break. Then some of our youth players will get to train with them.

Iain G
11-11-2020, 08:51 AM
The player development angle is the main focus of the hibs statement hence why I’m mainly talking about that.

They also mention scouting networks and sharing best practices, which sounds great for Charleston Battery but what can we honestly learn from them? I don’t mean that to sound arrogant, but when they operate at a far lower standard I find it difficult to get excited about things we can learn from them.

If anyone is in doubt that the operate at a far lower standard, again just look at where Robbie Crawford’s career path took him before he crossed the pond - junior level.

If this was an MLS side I would get it.

It does sound a little arrogant and closed minded to be honest, they operate in a different market from us and will have different approaches and ways of attacking a number of things (commercially, youth development, scouting, training, health etc) that could very much assist us.

Personally I think it is very positive that we are open to understanding how other clubs operate and what lessons have been learned and how we can apply some of that new thinking to what we do and not sticking to the set in stone, traditional norms that prevail in Scottish football.

Am sure the Charleston Battery support are questioning why they are linking up with a piddly wee mid table Scottish club and not someone from the English Premier league :greengrin:agree:

The 90+2
11-11-2020, 08:54 AM
The point is that their players will be able to train with our development squad while their own club is having a break. Then some of our youth players will get to train with them.

Who does it benefit? Random jobber players? We aren’t a charity.

I’m gathering the manager has no say in this either. “Hi jack this is Robbie, you’ll be training him alongside the squad” “”why?” “Because he’s on holiday back in Scotland now do as you’re told, cheers”.

500miles
11-11-2020, 09:20 AM

I’m gathering the manager has no say in this either. “Hi jack this is Robbie, you’ll be training him alongside the squad” “”why?” “Because he’s on holiday back in Scotland now do as you’re told, cheers”.

Id imagine it would benefit our youth players who may go over there for some competitive football.

Iain G
11-11-2020, 09:21 AM

If they are any good then it could benefit Hibs!

Why assume its going to be random "jobbing" players every time? The centre half who is also over sounds promising for example.

The Modfather
11-11-2020, 09:29 AM
I’m sure the benefits will be understood in time (maybe it’s an inroad to scouting the American market and players that Charleston Battery identify but have no realistic chance of signing). At the moment I’m a bit, meh, towards the link up. A bit underwhelmed it’s not an MLS side but as long as there’s no financial downside to this something that will sit in the background that I forget about 99% of the time.

Aldo
11-11-2020, 10:23 AM

I think you have a bit of tunnel vision here 90+2. There is a bigger picture to all this.

I get that they are not a MLS team however as I mentioned in my other post, America is huge and this just maybe an in road to something other than players. This could be an in road to other investment/investors. Getting our brand out there.

This has been shot down before the inks even dry (if there is a contract)

Players have to start somewhere and there may just be a gem or 2 to be had.

More than happy with our latest venture to go along with a number of others recently added.

Hiber-nation
11-11-2020, 10:34 AM
What a stushie about very little. This doesn't really sound like a big deal so I'm not sure why some folk are so negative. Might benefit Charleston more, we shall see. But nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

A Hi-Bee
11-11-2020, 10:36 AM
I just happen to think this will be a big benefit to Hibs moving forward, I also happen to think that Ron Gordon has a wee bit more smarts on what he wants to do with Hibs than the vast majority on .net. Charleston Battery now is that a great name or not, wonderful City as well.
Americans are so far ahead of Scotland on all levels and in sports of all types, so what’s not to be positive about.
Some comments on here just make me wonder!!!!!!!

:flag::flag::flag:

JimBHibees
11-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Id imagine it would benefit our youth players who may go over there for some competitive football.

Absolutely open their horizons and live and work in a country with a more positive mindset to sports. Nothing to lose and seems a very innovative idea.

matty_f
11-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Surely we’re not at the stage where we’re writing off a partnership like this at the very first sight of it?

Time will tell if it’s a good thing or otherwise, but give it a chance, ffs.

SaulGoodman
11-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Reading this thread has gave me a sare heed.

Oscar T Grouch
11-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Surely we’re not at the stage where we’re writing off a partnership like this at the very first sight of it?

Time will tell if it’s a good thing or otherwise, but give it a chance, ffs.

C'mon Matty, this is classic .net behaviour, do we not remember people writing off David Grey before he arrived, we need to remember that everything Hibs do will upset at least one Hibs fan who knows better. I bet if we signed Messi in the last year before he retired we would have some .net experts saying he is too wee, too old and not good enough for Hibs, that Hibs have no ambition signing an old player, that that is not the way forward.

Personally I think this is a great link up, it gives our youngsters a chance to play in another country and we will get to look at a whole new marketplace for players, something we need to do to get the edge on teams we are competing against {cough, Aberdeen, cough}. Even if the league is a lower standard than the SPL, it gets our youngsters into a different culture and will get them playing time which will make them better people and players.

superfurryhibby
11-11-2020, 01:13 PM
C'mon Matty, this is classic .net behaviour, do we not remember people writing off David Grey before he arrived, we need to remember that everything Hibs do will upset at least one Hibs fan who knows better. I bet if we signed Messi in the last year before he retired we would have some .net experts saying he is too wee, too old and not good enough for Hibs, that Hibs have no ambition signing an old player, that that is not the way forward.

Personally I think this is a great link up, it gives our youngsters a chance to play in another country and we will get to look at a whole new marketplace for players, something we need to do to get the edge on teams we are competing against {cough, Aberdeen, cough}. Even if the league is a lower standard than the SPL, it gets our youngsters into a different culture and will get them playing time which will make them better people and players.

Agree with all of this.

A.Pedant has asked me to point out though that the name is Gray, Sir David Gray :na na:

Ozyhibby
11-11-2020, 01:17 PM
I’m struggling to see what the benefits of this are too be honest? It’s not the level of club that Charleston are, more that I haven’t seen any of these club link ups really work before. I’m not sure what we can learn from them that couldn’t be learn more informally from other organisations? If it’s about scouting then we should start to see players from that market heading here reasonably quickly, and not to train with the development squad.
I have no idea how much this is all costing but it will be interesting to see what return we get on our investment. It’s not costing nothing.
I think within two years it will be quietly dropped after having a few reserve players swapping locations for a few months and no player signed for our first team.

Liberal Hibby
11-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Interesting thread. I hope there are sporting benefits from the tie up and assume that if there weren't we wouldn't have done it.

However the name Charleston Batteries has been bugging me - I guess it's a reference to Battery (or Fort) Wagner - a US civil war battle where Federal black troops eventually overcame the Condederate - slave supporting - defenders.

Given Hibs are strongly supporting Black Lives Matter - so I'd hope we are clear on the derivation and intentions behind the name. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wagner

The Modfather
11-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Interesting thread. I hope there are sporting benefits from the tie up and assume that if there weren't we wouldn't have done it.

However the name Charleston Batteries has been bugging me - I guess it's a reference to Battery (or Fort) Wagner - a US civil war battle where Federal black troops eventually overcame the Condederate - slave supporting - defenders.

Given Hibs are strongly supporting Black Lives Matter - so I'd hope we are clear on the derivation and intentions behind the name. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wagner

This is a footballing decision (we’ll find out in time of it’s a good or a bad one). I think it’s looking into things far too forensically if Hibs need to clear anything up in terms of the name of a club we’ve made ties to.

Oscar T Grouch
11-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Agree with all of this.

A.Pedant has asked me to point out though that the name is Gray, Sir David Gray :na na:

I'm gonna blame my spellchecker on that one :wink:

A Hi-Bee
11-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Why would you just pick out Fort Wagner when there are a number of Forts (batteries) around Charlestown

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Sumter
where the war started, all of them full of history, right or wrong we cannot change that.

Liberal Hibby
11-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Why would you just pick out Fort Wagner when there are a number of Forts (batteries) around Charlestown

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Sumter
where the war started, all of them full of history, right or wrong we cannot change that.

Because it was the first one that came up on Google :wink:

We of course can't change history but we should be aware of it and South Carolina was one of the prime movers in the US civil war (on the wrong side).

Ozyhibby
11-11-2020, 07:56 PM

We of course can't change history but we should be aware of it and South Carolina was one of the prime movers in the US civil war (on the wrong side).

150 years ago.[emoji23]

HoboHarry
11-11-2020, 08:17 PM

There were a number of people started to complain about some of the street names close to where I live, Robert E. Lee, Jubal Early etc etc. but this is Texas and those greeting faces got told where to get off pretty quick :faf::faf:

sleeping giant
11-11-2020, 08:24 PM

Do you just constantly troll posters ?

Is It On....
11-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Rangers have the same thing with Orange County. Good experience for the young players etc but of almost no importance to the majority of the fan base.

Wonder how the chose Orange County 😂

ozhibs
11-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Some of the posters sound like Alex Miller, Fred Legget of the Australian hibs supporters recommended some Australian player to him he just dismissed him. Not all would have worked out but we might have got a few jems. Keenan not being one of them :-)

GGTTH

Vault Boy
11-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Leland Archer:

https://twitter.com/socawarriors/status/1326636938166751232?s=19

MagicSwirlingShip
12-11-2020, 01:19 AM
The boy Crawford will be a good chaperone for the real talent they are sending over :)

Forza Fred
12-11-2020, 01:35 AM
What a stushie about very little. This doesn't really sound like a big deal so I'm not sure why some folk are so negative. Might benefit Charleston more, we shall see. But nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Yep, dunno if anything good comes out of it, but certainly can’t see anything bad.

Hmm..Have I just failed the Hibsnet entry test.😂

The 90+2
12-11-2020, 02:00 AM
Do you just constantly troll posters ?

Name two posters I’ve trolled? If not I’ll accept your apology:

jacomo
12-11-2020, 09:59 AM

I don’t know anything about Charleston Battery, but Ron says the two clubs have ‘shared values’ so that will do for me. I don’t think it’s very likely that we are linking up with the proud boys here!

Liberal Hibby
12-11-2020, 06:09 PM
I don’t know anything about Charleston Battery, but Ron says the two clubs have ‘shared values’ so that will do for me. I don’t think it’s very likely that we are linking up with the proud boys here!

Indeed - but it's important to know your history as it were.

I think the link up could be a very good thing and I'm slightly intrigued why we went for Charleston when I can imagine there would have been opportunities at the the next level up.

chippy
13-11-2020, 06:30 AM
I’d find this partnership less strange if RG / Hibs could clarify what the priorities are? Is this to help Hibs get better players for the Scottish- potentially European scene and grow the club Or is it to grow Charleston for the American scene? On the surface the latter market is huge and under exploited. Tying your emerging club to one of the oldest brands in World football is no bad thing. But what do Hibs get?

Rumble de Thump
13-11-2020, 07:35 AM
I’d find this partnership less strange if RG / Hibs could clarify what the priorities are? Is this to help Hibs get better players for the Scottish- potentially European scene and grow the club Or is it to grow Charleston for the American scene? On the surface the latter market is huge and under exploited. Tying your emerging club to one of the oldest brands in World football is no bad thing. But what do Hibs get?

What Hibs get out of it was detailed in the announcement: https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-fc-seal-strategic-partnership-with-charleston-battery

chippy
13-11-2020, 08:49 AM
What Hibs get out of it was detailed in the announcement: https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-fc-seal-strategic-partnership-with-charleston-battery

Yep I’ve read that a few times now and still don’t see in the midst of all the self congratulatory spin how this takes Hibs forward , improves our players, brings better players to ER, grows our fan base, gets us regular Euro football , wins us cups, gets us closer to top 3, beats Hearts regularly. What exactly is the mechanisms in this plan that will do that? If anything one could argue that prioritising this partnership is diverting resources and focus away from what I’m sure is most Hibs fans priorities .

Aldo
13-11-2020, 08:56 AM
Yep I’ve read that a few times now and still don’t see in the midst of all the self congratulatory spin how this takes Hibs forward , improves our players, brings better players to ER, grows our fan base, gets us regular Euro football , wins us cups, gets us closer to top 3, beats Hearts regularly. What exactly is the mechanisms in this plan that will do that? If anything one could argue that prioritising this partnership is diverting resources and focus away from what I’m sure is most Hibs fans priorities .

So what if this venture gets our product noticed by possible investors and this allows us to move forward as a club! It’s not just about players imho it’s about getting ourselves noticed in one of the biggest countries in the world.

O and what has beating Hearts regularly got to do with it?? It’s about finishing top 4 minimum in the league, getting to Europe and winning Silverware.Beating Hearts (in the bigger scheme of things) should not be a priority imho. Would be nice along they way but shouldn’t be a priority. I’ll leave that sort of mentality to Hearts fans.

Rumble de Thump
13-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Sorry. You were asking what Hibs get so I thought you hadn't read the statement because the info is in that.

chippy
13-11-2020, 10:03 AM
So what if this venture gets our product noticed by possible investors and this allows us to move forward as a club! It’s not just about players imho it’s about getting ourselves noticed in one of the biggest countries in the world.

O and what has beating Hearts regularly got to do with it?? It’s about finishing top 4 minimum in the league, getting to Europe and winning Silverware.Beating Hearts (in the bigger scheme of things) should not be a priority imho. Would be nice along they way but shouldn’t be a priority. I’ll leave that sort of mentality to Hearts fans.

Interesting response. Re your para 1. You know for sure that is the clubs / RGs strategy to use this partnership to attract US investors to Hibs ? How do you know this or is it a guess?. Wow a Hibs fan who doesn’t care about beating Hearts regularly, think your in a small minority.

Aldo
13-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Interesting response. Re your para 1. You know for sure that is the clubs / RGs strategy to use this partnership to attract US investors to Hibs ? How do you know this or is it a guess?. Wow a Hibs fan who doesn’t care about beating Hearts regularly, think your in a small minority.

Eh! Why would I know this for sure? I’m trying to look outside the box and I’m sure given RG is a successful businessman he will be looking at the bigger picture too! We have already 3 or 4 different companies linked into so I would suggest we are always looking for investment. The US is a massive place!

I do care about Hibs winning and beating hearts but I wonder if I said to you we would only beat them once a season but regularly finished above them, got into Europe and won silverware?? Would I be in the minority then?? No so sure I would be.

By your response you would be more than happy if we beat them but didn’t do well throughout the season. That’s their mentality and what they live for!

Our season is not defined by beating hearts it’s about Hibs and how well we do over the season not the 3 or 4 games against them.

Scotty Leither
13-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Silverware/regular top 4 finishes & beating that mob regularly aren't mutually exclusive are they? Can we not have both?

If we were consistent top 4, & winning cups then beating them would be an intrinsic part of that.

As for "mentality", I'll venture that semi-final win will spur them onto skooshing that league that they're in, while we've already had one negative reaction to it in the shape of a meek defeat in our next vital league game - the opposite might have happened had we beat them, so i'd say winning the semi-final should have been "priority" at Easter Road, but as usual it's not (or outwardly doesn't appear to be).

One last point, do you think Ron Gordon was sat down by someone at Hibs after he took over and had it drummed into him the importance of beating them?

Nah, me neither.

chippy
13-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Eh! Why would I know this for sure? I’m trying to look outside the box and I’m sure given RG is a successful businessman he will be looking at the bigger picture too! We have already 3 or 4 different companies linked into so I would suggest we are always looking for investment. The US is a massive place!

I do care about Hibs winning and beating hearts but I wonder if I said to you we would only beat them once a season but regularly finished above them, got into Europe and won silverware?? Would I be in the minority then?? No so sure I would be.

By your response you would be more than happy if we beat them but didn’t do well throughout the season. That’s their mentality and what they live for!

Our season is not defined by beating hearts it’s about Hibs and how well we do over the season not the 3 or 4 games against them.

Para 1. Ok you’re speculating
Para 2. When I say beating them regularly I mean 3 times a season at least and defeat them in our biggest ever games like semis and finals for an extended period of time. You’re all over the place
Para 3 yes beat them 4 times a season that’s 12 points not happy but I’ll settle for finishing below them - unlikely though if we’re stuffing them 3/4 times
Para 4 Your wrong, our seasons and our club are partly defined by our how well we do against them season after season . Are you sure you know what colours Hibs play in and where they play?

Aldo
13-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Para 1. Ok you’re speculating
Para 2. When I say beating them regularly I mean 3 times a season at least and defeat them in our biggest ever games like semis and finals for an extended period of time. You’re all over the place
Para 3 yes beat them 4 times a season that’s 12 points not happy but I’ll settle for finishing below them - unlikely though if we’re stuffing them 3/4 times
Para 4 Your wrong, our seasons and our club are partly defined by our how well we do against them season after season . Are you sure you know what colours Hibs play in and where they play?

Why is it speculating. Why else would we link up with a team in US... well apart from players? It allows us to network.

So you would be happy to beat them 4 times a season and finish below them. You would be happy with that?? Beating them should not define us as a club unlike them.

All over the place [emoji848] and after more than 23,000 posts and a PM for countless years you’ve finally outed me as an undercover Hearts fan!!

Btw I think you’ll need to be a bit more subtle in your responses and you maybe have to take your maroon coloured specks off!

HoboHarry
13-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Why is it speculating. Why else would we link up with a team in US... well apart from players? It allows us to network.

So you would be happy to beat them 4 times a season and finish below them. You would be happy with that?? Beating them should not define us as a club unlike them.

All over the place [emoji848] and after more than 23,000 posts and a PM for countless years you’ve finally outed me as an undercover Hearts fan!!

Btw I think you’ll need to be a bit more subtle in your responses and you maybe have to take your maroon coloured specks off!

He must be trolling, I can't get my head around beating Hearts is more important than finishing higher than them in the league. Always disappointing to lose to them but finishing below them is ok? Seriously?

weecounty hibby
13-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Is this going to cost Hibs money? If not, no problem. Are we going to lose players because if this? If not then no problem. Are we going to lose anything out of this? If not then no problem. Are there opportunities coming from this? Probably, so no problem. Is there a chance of picking up talented players? Possibly, so no problem. Is there a chance that we send our young players there for a new experience? Probably so no problem. Is there a chance that Hibs widen their appeal to a new audience? Probably so no problem.
So in short I can't see why folk are getting worked up about this

Aldo
13-11-2020, 03:36 PM
He must be trolling, I can't get my head around beating Hearts is more important than finishing higher than them in the league. Always disappointing to lose to them but finishing below them is ok? Seriously?

You would think but what do I know....I’m an undercover Hearts fan!

w pilton hibby
18-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Some more details about this

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/charleston-battery-chief-mike-kelleher-speaks-partnership-selling-hibs-gear-south-carolina-and-what-usl-side-hopes-learn-3039658

neil7908
19-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Some more details about this

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/charleston-battery-chief-mike-kelleher-speaks-partnership-selling-hibs-gear-south-carolina-and-what-usl-side-hopes-learn-3039658

An interesting read and we'll need to see how things pan out.

But the below is a bit disconcerting given their links with Aberdeen:

"I have good connections with a number of clubs but there would be no point looking at an English Premier League side – it would be like going to see how Atlanta United is run, which is a level or three above where we're at."

Brightside
19-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Its all Hearts fans care about.

bingo70
19-11-2020, 09:54 AM

"I have good connections with a number of clubs but there would be no point looking at an English Premier League side – it would be like going to see how Atlanta United is run, which is a level or three above where we're at."

That concerned me a bit as well to be honest.

I still don’t see what we can learn from a club like that off the park.

I suppose if this boy from Trinidad is any good then it’s made it worth while but seems to be a much better deal for them than us.

Hopefully other link ups with bigger clubs on the way as well.

scoopyboy
19-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Is this going to cost Hibs money? If not, no problem. Are we going to lose players because if this? If not then no problem. Are we going to lose anything out of this? If not then no problem. Are there opportunities coming from this? Probably, so no problem. Is there a chance of picking up talented players? Possibly, so no problem. Is there a chance that we send our young players there for a new experience? Probably so no problem. Is there a chance that Hibs widen their appeal to a new audience? Probably so no problem.
So in short I can't see why folk are getting worked up about this

What if all your if not answers to your own questions turn out to be yes as opposed to if not though?

So in short can you see why people would get worked up?

The Count
19-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Would of thought a tie up in a part of USA with a historic Irish population would of been better for selling merchanice etc.Green strip and our name would be a selling point.As regards players i hope it works out time will tell but i have my doubts.Anyway on a positive note atleast Ron is trying something different and i hope its successfull.

superfurryhibby
19-11-2020, 12:46 PM
I’m not getting the negativity from some on this. Why and what would this be costing Hibs and why are Charleston Battery getting a better deal? That’s a rhetorical question btw, save your energy.

Having read through the thread, the poor response just seems a bit like having a moan for the sake of it ( well apart from the obvious undercover posting, and I’m not meaning you Aldo, lol).

Deep down, I don’t really care either way, but I suspect little - big Ron has a bit more a clue than us, so speculate away, but for me it’s a positive story until it isn’t.

easty
19-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Would of thought a tie up in a part of USA with a historic Irish population would of been better for selling merchanice etc.Green strip and our name would be a selling point.As regards players i hope it works out time will tell but i have my doubts.Anyway on a positive note atleast Ron is trying something different and i hope its successfull.

I wouldn’t want us to try to build anything through any kind of Irish connection. We’re a Scottish team.

Iain G
19-11-2020, 12:51 PM
I’m not getting the negativity from some on this. Why and what would this be costing Hibs and why are Charleston Battery getting a better deal? That’s a rhetorical question btw, save your energy.

Having read through the thread, the poor response just seems a bit like having a moan for the sake of it ( well apart from the obvious undercover posting, and I’m not meaning you Aldo, lol).

Deep down, I don’t really care either way, but I suspect little - big Ron has a bit more a clue than us, so speculate away, but for me it’s a positive story until it isn’t.

Some people just want to find the negative in thingw and to have a good moan, and they don't like new ideas or change, it's a very Scottish trait!

Ozyhibby
19-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Some people just want to find the negative in thingw and to have a good moan, and they don't like new ideas or change, it's a very Scottish trait!

I’m very much open to change. The benefits of this escape me though.
And it’s not cost free. I would have thought that money would be very tight just now.

Ringothedog
19-11-2020, 01:02 PM
I wouldn’t want us to try to build anything through any kind of Irish connection. We’re a Scottish team.

We already do that by calling ourselves Hibernian, playing in green and white with a harp on our crest. We have evolved over the last 145 years to become a Scottish team but we should never be ashamed of where we came from as this is what makes us the club we are today.

Rumble de Thump
19-11-2020, 01:05 PM
I’m very much open to change. The benefits of this escape me though.
And it’s not cost free. I would have thought that money would be very tight just now.

The benefits were detailed in the announcement.

Iggy Pope
19-11-2020, 01:07 PM

The pre seasons we had in Ireland were great and at the time we were actively trying to build on the Irish connection, or so we said.
Why wouldn’t we do that Easty, what’s the problem?

bingo70
19-11-2020, 01:12 PM
The benefits were detailed in the announcement.

Not in any great detail though.

I don’t see the problem with people questioning things. It’s healthy to question things.

Nobody is protesting, nobody is going overboard, it’s a Hibs forum where a link up with a small club thousands of miles away has been announced. Of course people are going to discuss the merits of that.

I really like Ron Gordon, I think he seems a good bloke and I think his motives are sound. I don’t really get this link up though, imo they’re too small a club for us to get anything out of it. I can see why it’s great for them though.

Rumble de Thump
19-11-2020, 01:16 PM

I don’t see the problem with people questioning things. It’s healthy to question things.

Nobody is protesting, nobody is going overboard, it’s a Hibs forum where a link up with a small club thousands of miles away has been announced. Of course people are going to discuss the merits of that.

I really like Ron Gordon, I think he seems a good bloke and I think his motives are sound. I don’t really get this link up though, imo they’re too small a club for us to get anything out of it. I can see why it’s great for them though.

People are saying they can't see what the benefits are or what the point of it is when it was stated very clearly in the announcement. Time will tell exactly how much the club benefits from it but if people read the announcement and then say they don't understand what the point of it is then they've chosen to ignore everything that's in the statement.

Andy74
19-11-2020, 01:23 PM

They are a smallish team but in a huge market and one where sport is part of their way of living.

Even High School sport there has a lot of interest and a link to community and local business. If we can get any insight and resource to help us to learn from that then that is one benefit.

The other benefit is that they are a smaller team but in that big market. The likelihood of them ever being able to both identity and keep a big talent is limited. If they can help identity players in the US then the link with us gives us the opportunity to give that talent a pathway into higher level football.

A link with someone like Atlanta I'm sure sounds great instead but what would we really get or learn from? They play in a huge state of the art stadium. They have a TV deal with Fox and they are operating in a commercial space that we just aren't. If they identify good players they will want them to end up with them. Perhaps the only real difference would be getting players on loan from them at a higher level - but then again we can get players on loan from anywhere we like just now.

weecounty hibby
19-11-2020, 02:53 PM
What if all your if not answers to your own questions turn out to be yes as opposed to if not though?

So in short can you see why people would get worked up?
Not really to be honest as I think it unlike, in fact highly unlikely, that the answers will be yes. Maybe I just don't want to get worked up/annoyed/outraged (delete as appropriate) about everything

beensaidbefore
19-11-2020, 08:54 PM
They are a smallish team but in a huge market and one where sport is part of their way of living.

Even High School sport there has a lot of interest and a link to community and local business. If we can get any insight and resource to help us to learn from that then that is one benefit.

The other benefit is that they are a smaller team but in that big market. The likelihood of them ever being able to both identity and keep a big talent is limited. If they can help identity players in the US then the link with us gives us the opportunity to give that talent a pathway into higher level football.

A link with someone like Atlanta I'm sure sounds great instead but what would we really get or learn from? They play in a huge state of the art stadium. They have a TV deal with Fox and they are operating in a commercial space that we just aren't. If they identify good players they will want them to end up with them. Perhaps the only real difference would be getting players on loan from them at a higher level - but then again we can get players on loan from anywhere we like just now.

Stop talking sense! :greengrin

H18 SFR
25-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Likelihood of pre-season friendly over there in the coming years?

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2020, 12:49 AM

In a way with that statement the guy has done to us what a lot of folk are doing to his club on here. Atlanta United are about two years old but in his mind are already one or two levels above Hibs. Having said that, in those two years Atlanta have been an absolute phenomenon, especially their attendances which are mind blowing for a new club, I think they average close on 50,000

That's what I don't get though. Atlanta United have shown how to be a huge success from a standing start in the environment Charleston Battery must have ambitions of operating in, if they don't have MLS aspirations then they lack ambition. That being the case surely Atlanta United are exactly the type of club Charleston need to be learning from, not a mid table, mid sized in European terms, club operating in one of the financially poorest leagues in Europe.

If I was a Charleston Battery fan I would be wondering what they have to learn from Hibs in all honesty :greengrin

Haymaker
26-11-2020, 01:49 AM

Here's hoping! :hyper

Haymaker
26-11-2020, 01:51 AM
Atlanta United have shown how to be a huge success from a standing start in the environment Charleston Battery must have ambitions of operating in, if they don't have MLS aspirations then they lack ambition.

Unless you can pay the MLS franchise fee it doesn't matter what your ambition is.

So maybe learning from a club how to develop and grow outside a market you cannot enter, might be quite useful.

Andy74
26-11-2020, 08:16 AM
In a way with that statement the guy has done to us what a lot of folk are doing to his club on here. Atlanta United are about two years old but in his mind are already one or two levels above Hibs. Having said that, in those two years Atlanta have been an absolute phenomenon, especially their attendances which are mind blowing for a new club, I think they average close on 50,000

That's what I don't get though. Atlanta United have shown how to be a huge success from a standing start in the environment Charleston Battery must have ambitions of operating in, if they don't have MLS aspirations then they lack ambition. That being the case surely Atlanta United are exactly the type of club Charleston need to be learning from, not a mid table, mid sized in European terms, club operating in one of the financially poorest leagues in Europe.

If I was a Charleston Battery fan I would be wondering what they have to learn from Hibs in all honesty :greengrin

There's not much to learn from Atlanta really. The franchise system is totally different to any usual way of growing a club. They are massively backed and owned by the same guy that owns the Atlanta Falcons and founded Home Depot. I think their stadium can hold up to 70,000 and regularly gets over 50,000 and they have a direct TV right deal with Fox.

California-Hibs
26-11-2020, 09:11 AM
So here's my two cents worth regarding the link up, what I feel it means, can achieve etc.

Firstly a bit of background about myself. I'm an Edinburgh guy that's lived in Sacramento California for going on 9 years now. I have a side job as a 'Statistical Reporter' in which I cover various teams and various leagues, however it is predominantly Sacramento Republic that I cover, so I've basically up until Covid, been to all of their home games for around 5 years. They play in the 'USL' which is the league Charleston Battery play in.

So having seen Charleston play quite a lot and believing I have a pretty good handle on the league itself, here's my take on it.

This deal is much better for Charleston than it is us. However if it goes in a certain direction it could certainly prove very good for us. We'll get back to that in a little bit.

The quality of the teams throughout the whole league is poor. Absolutely no getting away from it. This isn't a case of having the blinkers on, or a Scot pridefully sticking up for his own SPFL, or anything like that. Our top fight teams would wipe the floor with all of them, even the likes of Hamilton. Theres a few, and I mean a few, 'fairly decent' players in the league, but on a whole, nah, very poor quality.

That is why I think this will more greatly enhance the development of the Charleston players coming our way, then it will our youngsters going that way (although there will be some good things that no doubt will come from that as they'll likely go straight into their 1st team whereas Charleston players in particular wouldn't get anywhere near ours).

Charleston like many USL teams, haven't been around for long and are still emerging. They only have an average following of 2,424, the leagues average wage for a 7 month period is $12k, so to put that into perspective, the average player is believed to be on around $400 (£300) a week.

So the idea of the link up player standard wise, doesn't excite me at all. I would have much rather had a link up with an MLS club as there is undeniable talent in there (I cover alot of San Jose Earthquake games so have a good idea of the MLS quality).

However! Where i think it could be interesting is the marketing. US fans are veeeeery different from Scottish fans. Many of the cliches are true. Its more of a social thing for them, drinking a beer while the games going on, taking to their neighbor facing each other and often not too focused on the game. Don't dream of shouting out anything negative towards one of your own players etc No booing or reactions of anger and disappointments after the games spilling into social media etc, its always very positive (and can actually get very annoying).

Well, with this comes a community, a social aspect of following, the team. Take their Facebook page for example - 23K Likes. Compared to ours - 77K Likes. And while our numbers bigger the point I'm trying to make is we have a thirst for football in Scotland, and have a long history etc yet Charleston have only been on the go since 1993 and play in a population of just 133K, vs 500K in Edinburgh, and while yes we also have Hearts, that basically is our big and only 2 Sports teams in the city, while in South Carolina from American Football, Basketball, Baseball etc teams have huge followings. So with that all said 23K Facebook Likes with only an average attendance of 1,424, shows that people have a sense of following/representing their team. Its the end here for Sacramento Republic FC, however their page actually has 92K likes!....Not that Facebook likes is the be all and end all, but still an example.

Its got me thinking about certain commercial opportunities (probably won't happen but you never know). A Hibs shop/ section within their stadium? Or perhaps within South Carolina with the branding heavily towards 'Charleston Battery FC association Scottish team Hibernian' (Throw 'Scotland' in a title and watch them grow in exciting. Seriously i should know. Every time I open my mouth in a grocery store etc How often they hold Scottish Games all across the country. Their interest in Clans, tartan etc. Heck, go onto their Facebook page with the video announcement they put out regarding us as their new association and read all the comments from their fans claiming us as their new found team, wanting to now go to Edinburgh, pleading the club for an organized game in Scotland so they can see our Stadium, etc.

I definitely think commercially, if some right and in a certain diction, Hibs could do very VERY well, and have the better deal from the whole situation.

bingo70
26-11-2020, 09:26 AM
So here's my two cents worth regarding the link up, what I feel it means, can achieve etc.

Firstly a bit of background about myself. I'm an Edinburgh guy that's lived in Sacramento California for going on 9 years now. I have a side job as a 'Statistical Reporter' in which I cover various teams and various leagues, however it is predominantly Sacramento Republic that I cover, so I've basically up until Covid, been to all of their home games for around 5 years. They play in the 'USL' which is the league Charleston Battery play in.

So having seen Charleston play quite a lot and believing I have a pretty good handle on the league itself, here's my take on it.

This deal is much better for Charleston than it is us. However if it goes in a certain direction it could certainly prove very good for us. We'll get back to that in a little bit.

The quality of the teams throughout the whole league is poor. Absolutely no getting away from it. This isn't a case of having the blinkers on, or a Scot pridefully sticking up for his own SPFL, or anything like that. Our top fight teams would wipe the floor with all of them, even the likes of Hamilton. Theres a few, and I mean a few, 'fairly decent' players in the league, but on a whole, nah, very poor quality.

That is why I think this will more greatly enhance the development of the Charleston players coming our way, then it will our youngsters going that way (although there will be some good things that no doubt will come from that as they'll likely go straight into their 1st team whereas Charleston players in particular wouldn't get anywhere near ours).

Charleston like many USL teams, haven't been around for long and are still emerging. They only have an average following of 2,424, the leagues average wage for a 7 month period is $12k, so to put that into perspective, the average player is believed to be on around $400 (£300) a week.

So the idea of the link up player standard wise, doesn't excite me at all. I would have much rather had a link up with an MLS club as there is undeniable talent in there (I cover alot of San Jose Earthquake games so have a good idea of the MLS quality).

However! Where i think it could be interesting is the marketing. US fans are veeeeery different from Scottish fans. Many of the cliches are true. Its more of a social thing for them, drinking a beer while the games going on, taking to their neighbor facing each other and often not too focused on the game. Don't dream of shouting out anything negative towards one of your own players etc No booing or reactions of anger and disappointments after the games spilling into social media etc, its always very positive (and can actually get very annoying).

Well, with this comes a community, a social aspect of following, the team. Take their Facebook page for example - 23K Likes. Compared to ours - 77K Likes. And while our numbers bigger the point I'm trying to make is we have a thirst for football in Scotland, and have a long history etc yet Charleston have only been on the go since 1993 and play in a population of just 133K, vs 500K in Edinburgh, and while yes we also have Hearts, that basically is our big and only 2 Sports teams in the city, while in South Carolina from American Football, Basketball, Baseball etc teams have huge followings. So with that all said 23K Facebook Likes with only an average attendance of 1,424, shows that people have a sense of following/representing their team. Its the end here for Sacramento Republic FC, however their page actually has 92K likes!....Not that Facebook likes is the be all and end all, but still an example.

Its got me thinking about certain commercial opportunities (probably won't happen but you never know). A Hibs shop/ section within their stadium? Or perhaps within South Carolina with the branding heavily towards 'Charleston Battery FC association Scottish team Hibernian' (Throw 'Scotland' in a title and watch them grow in exciting. Seriously i should know. Every time I open my mouth in a grocery store etc How often they hold Scottish Games all across the country. Their interest in Clans, tartan etc. Heck, go onto their Facebook page with the video announcement they put out regarding us as their new association and read all the comments from their fans claiming us as their new found team, wanting to now go to Edinburgh, pleading the club for an organized game in Scotland so they can see our Stadium, etc.

I definitely think commercially, if some right and in a certain diction, Hibs could do very VERY well, and have the better deal from the whole situation.

That’s interesting, cheers.

Don’t suppose you know much about the guys training with us? Not so much about Robbie Crawford but Leyland Archer and the young guy from FC Dallas? (Sorry, forget his name). Any chance of getting deals you think?

Is it one level below the MLS, Charleston play?

Andy74
26-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Don’t suppose you know much about the guys training with us? Not so much about Robbie Crawford but Leyland Archer and the young guy from FC Dallas? (Sorry, forget his name). Any chance of getting deals you think?

The thing I had mentioned previously and so did the Charleston guy, was that the link up could be beneficial for both of us in securing good players initially. Charleston will now be able to offer a kid they identify a start with them but also a pathway to Hibs.

If we linked with say an Atlanta we might get half decent players on loan (which we can from anyone anyway) but any good players they would ultimately want. Charleston look like they are getting local players but also from the Caribeean area and having first call on those types of players could certainly be good.

bingo70
26-11-2020, 10:09 AM
The thing I had mentioned previously and so did the Charleston guy, was that the link up could be beneficial for both of us in securing good players initially. Charleston will now be able to offer a kid they identify a start with them but also a pathway to Hibs.

If we linked with say an Atlanta we might get half decent players on loan (which we can from anyone anyway) but any good players they would ultimately want. Charleston look like they are getting local players but also from the Caribeean area and having first call on those types of players could certainly be good.

You’ve made some really good points on this thread tbf. I tried not to acknowledge them previously as they made my post look a bit stupid so I kind of hoped by not replying to you we could just move on and forget I said anything.

Having access to the Caribbean market sounds terrific though.

I wonder how it’ll work with work permits now? Same as before or have things changed now we’re leaving the EU and trying to get relationships with the rest of the world and not just European countries?

California-Hibs
26-11-2020, 10:12 AM

So yeah, its one level below MLS. There's no relegation/promotion in the US. There's two conferences within the USl, East and West, both with 18 teams. They finished 9th last season. Archer and Crawford are pretty much mainstays in the team, although from memory and highlights I couldn't tell you much about either of them.

The FC Dallas player on trial with us is Thomas Roberts. No knowledge of him as he's been playing the majority of his time for 'North Texas SC' which is actually in the league BELOW USL - USL League One, and I couldn't tell you anything about that league to be honest, although I wouldn't imagine its much to write home about. He does have 6 MLS appearances to his name though and is only 19, so perhaps a good prospect? Left midfielder, and played in a North Texas team that won the league last year and got him noticed by FC Dallas to promote to their 1st team. Sorry, wish I could tell you more

superfurryhibby
26-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Excellent posts on this thread from California Hibs and Andy 74. Nice also to see the Bingo 70 fellae acknowledge a change of heart from his initial stance (very mature :wink:).

A progressive link up for Hibs by all accounts. It's good to see the club taking the initiative and hopefully there will be more of this kind of thing. There are potential opportunities to be had for a forward thinking club and other football markets to explore too (I'm thinking of South America and Ron's contacts there?).

Viva_Palmeiras
26-11-2020, 01:18 PM
From the Caribbean to Arbroath on a cold Tuesday night for cup duty in December..... ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
26-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Excellent posts on this thread from California Hibs and Andy 74. Nice also to see the Bingo 70 fellae acknowledge a change of heart from his initial stance (very mature :wink:).

A progressive link up for Hibs by all accounts. It's good to see the club taking the initiative and hopefully there will be more of this kind of thing. There are potential opportunities to be had for a forward thinking club and other football markets to explore too (I'm thinking of South America and Ron's contacts there?).

I’m gonna keep on asking until I get confirmation - surely as half Peruvian he has to be “Ronaldo”?

Viva_Palmeiras
26-11-2020, 01:20 PM
If Ian Gordon wasn’t there would we still have the link up I wonder?

ancient hibee
26-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Spectator/fan involvement in sport in the USA is on a different level to here.A few years ago I spent3/4 days in Knoxville,the State Capital of Tennessee.I took a trip around the University of Tennessee and was amazed t see that they had three sports stadia the biggest one holding 50,000.I mentioned this to a local in the hotel and he told me this was purely for the Uni and that there was a football game there in a couple of days which would pack the 50000 stadium .I said that this must be exceptional and he told me it was normal as there was a waiting list for season tickets.Knoxville is a relatively small place but at the weekend the place was mobbed with people(all in orange the Uni colours)and the freeways were busy with fans coming from all over the state.Quite a few of them were staying in our hotel and said that they did this every couple of weeks.They spent far more on Uni/team stuff that the cost of the season ticket.It’s a big country with a big population and people are proud of their college connections but to see this for sport at a level below the top was an eye opener.

Stairway 2 7
26-11-2020, 02:46 PM
There's usually only 1 2 professional sports teams per state. The equivalent would be 60 odd thousand going to watch the national team at Murrayfield or 50 at hampden, and that's squewed against us as our pop of 5 million dwarfed by there state's

Ozyhibby
26-11-2020, 02:58 PM
I’m pretty sure Michigan Uni haven’t had a crowd below 100,000 for more than 30 years.

Stuart93
26-11-2020, 03:00 PM
I’m pretty sure Michigan Uni haven’t had a crowd below 100,000 for more than 30 years.

Performs tricks at parties pulls rabbits out a hat?

davhibby
26-11-2020, 04:33 PM
You’ve made some really good points on this thread tbf. I tried not to acknowledge them previously as they made my post look a bit stupid so I kind of hoped by not replying to you we could just move on and forget I said anything.

Having access to the Caribbean market sounds terrific though.

I wonder how it’ll work with work permits now? Same as before or have things changed now we’re leaving the EU and trying to get relationships with the rest of the world and not just European countries?

I’d guess that work permits from that part of the world won’t be changing, just that players from EU countries will be held to the same rules as non EU ones now

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Very interesting, thanks for that CH :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Unless you can pay the MLS franchise fee it doesn't matter what your ambition is.

So maybe learning from a club how to develop and grow outside a market you cannot enter, might be quite useful.

Well, does that not make the ambition to find a way to attract the folk with bottomless pockets it takes to ante up the 100 million or so it takes to purchase a franchise? It's not a market they cannot enter, its just a market their current situation means they cannot enter. You might as well say it's impossible for Hibs to make the Champions league group stages, it's not ... If I chucked a few hundred million at the club I'm sure we could A) win the Scottish premiership and B) swat aside a few minnows and a big name to get there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually having a go at you I understand where you are coming from, but at the end of the day 'ambition' costs nothing no matter how outlandish that ambition might seem at the time :greengrin

Besides that and possibly a glimmer of hope for the likes of Charleston. MLS is growing with a number of clubs looking for a franchise that can't get one. How long before they start either a 2nd division ( time the Yanks learned the delights of relegation ) or a system like the NFL which can accommodate more teams without them having to play each other home and away every season. I'm lead to believe the NY Jets and NY Giants have barely faced each other in their history even though they both play in the NFL.

Duke of Currie
26-11-2020, 06:50 PM
By having a relationship with another club , is there scope for sending multiple players across there for loan periods instead of farming them out to lower division Scottish clubs. Also , if you wanted players to gain coaching badges but stay within the club , am thinking about guys like David Gray or Darren McGregor , could part of the coaching development plan be that you are loaned as a coach to Charleston as part of the development plan.

Was looking at the Man City strategy , and am not trying to say we are competition to Man City , but the benefits from their network was they had a wider scouting network and collection of data cross multiple areas, also they had wider commercial benefits from being involved in different countries.

From what Ron Gordon has said when he mentioned the clubs being looked at, I dont think this will be the only partnership and what is gained will be seen behind the scenes rather than immediately on the pitch. This is just a hunch , but I think there will be a link up to another Scottish club which might be more beneficial/cost efficient than running a development team and possibly even a set up with a continental team which will widen the scouting/player information network and expand commercial opportunities.

I think these are seeds to help the club to grow financially as much off the pitch , increased commercial revenue and identifying younger players to sell on after a few years

Viva_Palmeiras
27-11-2020, 06:45 AM
Well if we’re supposed to be modelling ourselves on Southampton then perhaps the tiered approach to international partnership give a hint. I’m guessing the language used (“package”) indicates we’d be getting some dosh for this link up. I almost see it as a pilot for testing things out, Refining & improving before potential expansion.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/saints-global/sfc_global_development_brochure_06_digital.pdf

I suppose it’s also a way of attracting and retaining staff - giving opportunities in the off season for coaches and players. Maybe instead of letting folks go there is a pathway for them in the US?

Brightside
27-11-2020, 07:07 AM

What are their numbers for Insta? It’s only old people like us that use FB.

Glory Lurker
27-11-2020, 07:42 AM

Sorry to jump in, but it gives me the chance to show I am young and, er, with it - 14,100.

Their merch range is pretty cool (that's what the young team would say, right?), smarter than ours! Although who knows what a game day eye stick is? Don't like the sound of that, whatever it is.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Is actively engaging not a more telling stat - people can passively "like" or "follow" - its an illusion IMO and part of the problem with how kids view the world.

Konte34
27-11-2020, 02:57 PM

Certainly suggests so here: https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-charleston-battery-partnership-kelleher-19312535

04Sauzee
23-03-2021, 05:24 PM
I see Dundee Utd have just announced a strategic partnership with Northern Virginia UTD fc who are currently owned by Brian Welsh

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6797/TERRORS-PARTNER-WITH-NORTHERN-VIRGINIA-IN-EXCITING-UNITED-FUTURE.html?key=dufc&utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dundeeunitedfc

Peevemor
24-03-2021, 07:43 AM
I see Dundee Utd have just announced a strategic partnership with Northern Virginia UTD fc who are currently owned by Brian Welsh

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6797/TERRORS-PARTNER-WITH-NORTHERN-VIRGINIA-IN-EXCITING-UNITED-FUTURE.html?key=dufc&utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dundeeunitedfc

Looks like quite a set up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Virginia_United_FC

04Sauzee
24-03-2021, 08:14 AM

It certainly is 😁
This is their 1500 capacity ground

https://i.ibb.co/HGhzmsJ/1280px-Evergreen-Sportsplex-Aerial-View.jpg (https://ibb.co/1RzqH5S)

Lendo
24-03-2021, 08:52 AM
It certainly is 😁
This is their 1500 capacity ground

https://i.ibb.co/HGhzmsJ/1280px-Evergreen-Sportsplex-Aerial-View.jpg (https://ibb.co/1RzqH5S)

Bigger attendances than Hamilton then.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2021, 08:57 AM
And Brora. :wink:

Renfrew_Hibby
24-03-2021, 08:59 AM

Looks like its a family affair...

PS I know soccer has exploded in America in recent times, you are just as likely to see kids in inner city Queens cutting about in Barca tops or having a kick about in 5 aside 'cages' as you are to see them playing basketball. That's the north east inner cities though but why is it that in the deep south, the part of the US where soccer is least popular, does football seem to be the preserve of the wealthy and club set ups like the one shown resemble some sort of country polo club?

04Sauzee
24-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Not sure what the average of both clubs is?

Since452
24-03-2021, 09:05 AM
I noticed that they're way ahead of Stephen Glass's Atlanta B team in their league.

Smartie
24-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Looks like ita family affair...

PS I know soccer has exploded in America in recent times, you are just as likely to see kids in inner city Queens cutting about in Barca tops or having a kick about in 5 aside 'cages' as you are to see them playing basketball. That's the north east inner cities though but why is it that in the deep south, the part of the US where soccer is least popular, does football seem to be the preserve of the wealthy and club set ups like the one shown resemble some sort of country polo club?

My other half's brother lives with his family in Houston and his sons play "soccer".

It costs an awful lot of money to play football regularly there - matches, training, kit etc. I know it's expensive here, especially relative to average wage etc but I don't know how poorer families in the US would be able to keep football up for a talented kid through their teenage years.

I have a hunch that one of my nephews is actually really good and may have a decent future in the game though so they are keen to support him.

Haymaker
24-03-2021, 11:08 AM
Looks like its a family affair...

It's a rich kids sport here. People lower down the chain are priced out. It's amazing what some of these "elite" youth teams charge parents, $3-5,000 a year plus travel, tournaments, "specialist training camps" etc. Wouldn't surprise me if it runs into $10,000+ for some of the teams in my area.

Diclonius
24-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Chris and Daniel Welsh are also part of the first-team squad.

Peevemor
24-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Chris and Daniel Welsh are also part of the first-team squad.

That's a lot of different hats!

LEaston87
24-09-2023, 06:10 PM
That 17 year old mexican we had over last year is looking like some prospect. Scored two crackers this weekend. Fidel Barajas. Hope we are still keeping tabs on him

TrinityHFC
24-09-2023, 07:58 PM
That 17 year old mexican we had over last year is looking like some prospect. Scored two crackers this weekend. Fidel Barajas. Hope we are still keeping tabs on him

Not a partnership that we hear anything about these days.

Ozyhibby
25-09-2023, 08:07 AM
I’m struggling to see what the benefits of this are too be honest? It’s not the level of club that Charleston are, more that I haven’t seen any of these club link ups really work before. I’m not sure what we can learn from them that couldn’t be learn more informally from other organisations? If it’s about scouting then we should start to see players from that market heading here reasonably quickly, and not to train with the development squad.
I have no idea how much this is all costing but it will be interesting to see what return we get on our investment. It’s not costing nothing.
I think within two years it will be quietly dropped after having a few reserve players swapping locations for a few months and no player signed for our first team.

[emoji6]

LEaston87
11-10-2023, 08:55 PM

Named in the top 60 best youngsters in world football now

Fuzzywuzzy
11-10-2023, 09:17 PM

Always good to see a clerry lad do well

Seafield Scott
12-10-2023, 07:49 AM
Always good to see a clerry lad do well
..... even though he grew up supporting Hearts !!!

His sister was pretty nice mind !!

Fuzzywuzzy
12-10-2023, 07:51 AM
..... even though he grew up supporting Hearts !!!

His sister was pretty nice mind !!

Oh aye. Jane

Seafield Scott
12-10-2023, 07:53 AM
Oh aye. Jane
I was quite envious - my pal went out with her for a while