PDA

View Full Version : Media Northfield: The ghost stadium built for Hibs but never used

Carheenlea
04-11-2020, 09:26 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/northfield-ghost-stadium-built-hibs-never-used-3025564

Interesting short article about how we may well have ended up playing out of Northfield (or even Aberdeen or Motherwell!)

superfurryhibby
04-11-2020, 10:11 PM
I knew about the Northfield stadium, but have never heard of potential moves to Aberdeen or Motherwell. Must check my Lugton for this but I have my doubts.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-11-2020, 10:40 PM
I knew about the Northfield stadium, but have never heard of potential moves to Aberdeen or Motherwell. Must check my Lugton for this but I have my doubts.

Northfield doesn't ring any bells with me, and neither do the potential moves to Aberdeen or Motherwell, I'm highly dubious.

superfurryhibby
04-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Northfield doesn't ring any bells with me, and neither do the potential moves to Aberdeen or Motherwell, I'm highly dubious.

Northfield is well documented.

The rest is spurious.

Renfrew_Hibby
05-11-2020, 06:51 AM
The potential move to Aberdeen is also well documented. Is the not what led to the formation of Aberdeen FC through the merger of local sides.
That's what I have been led to believe for a while now.

lord bunberry
05-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Was it not down to a disagreement with the council that stopped us moving in to the new stadium? I’ve read about it before but I can’t remember the details.

Killiehibbie
05-11-2020, 06:55 AM
Was it not down to a disagreement with the council that stopped us moving in to the new stadium? I’ve read about it before but I can’t remember the details.

That sounds about right from what I remember reading.

weecounty hibby
05-11-2020, 07:16 AM
Never heard about Northfield before. Had definitely heard about the Aberdeen move but the Motherwell one was new to me

05-11-2020, 07:51 AM

Jambo councillors no doubt.

One Day
05-11-2020, 08:03 AM
The potential move to Aberdeen is also well documented. Is the not what led to the formation of Aberdeen FC through the merger of local sides.

Yes. I've known about that for years.

Keith_M
05-11-2020, 08:05 AM

Northfield is actually quite a well known potential move that was scuppered by one of the train companies at the time (LNER?).

They complained to the council that the land used for the stadium was required for an extension of the nearby railway line and the council gave in and stopped Hibs completing it. Incidentally, the rail line extension was never built, so stopping the stadium build was completely unnecessary.

The money wasted on the new stadium scuppered Hibs chance of building on their recent Scottish Cup and League wins.

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 08:07 AM

I’ve just been reading through Lugton and John R McKay’s The Hibees. No mention of any move to anywhere else but Northfield.

The North British Railway Company intervened and apparently received some Parliamentary intervention in order to halt the construction. This was based on joining of two lines in the vicinity, which never happened.

Never heard about Northfield before. Had definitely heard about the Aberdeen move but the Motherwell one was new to me

At the time of the purchase of the land at Northfield Hibs had just become a public limited company in 1905. The club was undergoing change but the links to Leith were considered very strong (Philip Farmer on the board, Dan McMichael also a Leither). Lugton describes constant obstacles being placed in the way of the clubs plans for building works, he also says that the pitch was giving problems. He talks of the club stating the reason for abandoning Northfield as being “ that romantic Irish emotion that identified Hibernian with Easter Road”.

I’d be interested to see a link to any thing that references proposed moves to Motherwell or Aberdeen, I have my doubts though. Until then I’m filing that under the nonsense category ( alongside all the Harry Swan stuff discussed on here recently).

Kato
05-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Haven't heard the Motherwell story before.

The halting of the Northfield stadium is well known. A 50,000 capacity ground for Hibs was more than the Edinburgh Council (Corporation?) would stomach.

I thought the Aberdeen move was an invitation from Hibs fans up there, which the club considered but quickly rejected as three local clubs combined to form Aberdeen as discussions were ongoing.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 08:43 AM
Haven't heard the Motherwell story before.

The halting of the Northfield stadium is well known. A 50,000 capacity ground for Hibs was more than the Edinburgh Council (Corporation?) would stomach.

I thought the Aberdeen move was an invitation from Hibs fans up there, which the club considered but quickly rejected as three local clubs combined to form Aberdeen as discussions were ongoing.

Northfield / Piershill was apparently part of Portobello Council and hadn’t been amalgamated with, ahem, Edinburgh until the municipal expansion which also claimed Leith in the early 1920’s.

As posted above, there was intervention from the railway to stop the development of the ground, it wasn’t to do with any council action.

Keith_M
05-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Northfield / Piershill was apparently part of Portobello Council and hadn’t been amalgamated with Hibs until the municipal expansion which also claimed Leith in the early 1920’s.

As posted above, there was intervention from the railway to stop the development of the ground, it wasn’t to do with any council action.

When did that happen?

:greengrin

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 09:12 AM
When did that happen?

Secret histories.

Carheenlea
05-11-2020, 09:37 AM
The Aberdeen/Lanarkshire story is one I’ve heard before, but can’t recall where I read/heard about it.

As has been pointed out, if true you would assume that Alan Lugton would have had it documented in his trilogy.

EI255
05-11-2020, 10:01 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/northfield-ghost-stadium-built-hibs-never-used-3025564

Interesting short article about how we may well have ended up playing out of Northfield (or even Aberdeen or Motherwell!)The Scottie and Broadfields would have been rammed every home game.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
05-11-2020, 10:06 AM
The Scottie and Broadfields would have been rammed every home game.

The Scottie wasn't a pub in those days. It was my school tuck shop :greengrin

Killiehibbie
05-11-2020, 10:06 AM
The Scottie and Broadfields would have been rammed every home game.

Shock for any Huns thinking the Lodge would be welcoming and then wandering into Pickies!

Killiehibbie
05-11-2020, 10:22 AM
The Scottie wasn't a pub in those days. It was my school tuck shop :greengrin

I used to go past that shop every day and wonder if anybody ever went in.

wookie70
05-11-2020, 10:31 AM
The Scottie wasn't a pub in those days. It was my school tuck shop :greengrin It also sold gold clubs when I was a lad, bought my first half set there. As a Northfield lad I was well aware of the stadium and loved the thought of looking over the railings at Royal High with the Hibs players walking to training. saying that Jim McArthur was my PE teacher so we had a great Hibee already at the school.

CockneyRebel
05-11-2020, 10:35 AM
It also sold gold clubs when I was a lad, bout my first half set there. As a Northfield lad I was well aware of the stadium and loved the thought of looking over the railings at Royal High with the Hibs players walking to training. saying that Jim McArthur was my PE teacher so we had a great Hibee already at the school.

I would have thought you'd gone to a public school if your parents indulged you with 18 carat golf clubs :wink:

Keith_M
05-11-2020, 11:10 AM
I would have thought you'd gone to a public school if your parents indulged you with 18 carat golf clubs :wink:

It's a very posh part of town.

TelaStella
05-11-2020, 11:18 AM
So can we now start singing about the fact if it wasn’t for Hibs there wouldn’t be an Aberdeen? Is there any other league in football where one team has had such an impact on the formation and development of its rivals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdrive
05-11-2020, 11:29 AM
A couple of months ago I was waiting for my order in Pierino’s chippy and noticed they had wallpaper up that was an old map of Leith and Edinburgh. I happened to notice that there were two Hibernian FC stadiums (or parks I think they were called) on the map... Easter Road and Northfield. I wondered what that was all about. Seems odd that they were both on there given one was never built and the other one was built after that one was proposed!

Chorley Hibee
05-11-2020, 11:31 AM
The Aberdeen/Lanarkshire story is one I’ve heard before, but can’t recall where I read/heard about it.

As has been pointed out, if true you would assume that Alan Lugton would have had it documented in his trilogy.

I'm sure he does, as I'm certain that's where I read both these stories originally.

Keith_M
05-11-2020, 11:45 AM
A couple of months ago I was waiting for my order in Pierino’s chippy and noticed they had wallpaper up that was an old map of Leith and Edinburgh. I happened to notice that there were two Hibernian FC stadiums (or parks I think they were called) on the map... Easter Road and Northfield. I wondered what that was all about. Seems odd that they were both on there given one was never built and the other one was built after that one was proposed!

From the EEN Article:

"A lease on Drum Park – on the site of the current Easter Road stadium – was secured in 1892 with the first home game played in 1893."

"By September 1906, work was nearing completion on the ground (Northfield). A 250-yard sprint track; grandstands seating 3,300 persons; a central, covered area with room for 1,000 and space for a further 225 patrons in the pavilion had been created. The total capacity was said to be as much as 50,000."

So both grounds (or parks) were actually in existence at the same time, though the new ground wasn't quite finished.

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 12:19 PM
From the EEN Article:

"A lease on Drum Park – on the site of the current Easter Road stadium – was secured in 1892 with the first home game played in 1893."

"By September 1906, work was nearing completion on the ground (Northfield). A 250-yard sprint track; grandstands seating 3,300 persons; a central, covered area with room for 1,000 and space for a further 225 patrons in the pavilion had been created. The total capacity was said to be as much as 50,000."

So both grounds (or parks) were actually in existence at the same time, though the new ground wasn't quite finished.

The news article isn’t accurate. Check your Lugton for a true reflection of the work that had actually taken place.

wookie70
05-11-2020, 12:43 PM
This is a great resource for old maps. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/329120/674116/12/101066

I like the Aerated Water Factory shown on that map that eventually giving rise to the Dunbar End name. Fascinating to scroll round old Edinburgh

Kato
05-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Northfield / Piershill was apparently part of Portobello Council and hadn’t been amalgamated with, ahem, Edinburgh until the municipal expansion which also claimed Leith in the early 1920’s.

As posted above, there was intervention from the railway to stop the development of the ground, it wasn’t to do with any council action.The council, whichever one, would have had to grant the application for the compulsory purchase of the land Hibs were leasing. We had already lost one ground due to planning being granted on land we leased. A bit of a pattern.

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 01:04 PM
The council, whichever one, would have had to grant the application for the compulsory purchase of the land Hibs were leasing. We had already lost one ground due to planning being granted on land we leased. A bit of a pattern.

Yes, I think the intervention came via a government dept, not council.

Carheenlea
05-11-2020, 05:11 PM
I'm sure he does, as I'm certain that's where I read both these stories originally.

I’ll need to take a look back at the timeline within Luton’s books. Second volume I’d imagine.

Certainly curious to learn more about the Aberdeen and Motherwell relocation thoughts. Probably not serious considerations though I’d imagine and would probably have been brief.

superfurryhibby
05-11-2020, 05:56 PM
I’ll need to take a look back at the timeline within Luton’s books. Second volume I’d imagine.

Certainly curious to learn more about the Aberdeen and Motherwell relocation thoughts. Probably not serious considerations though I’d imagine and would probably have been brief.

Not mentioned ( the move).

EI255
05-11-2020, 06:09 PM
The Scottie wasn't a pub in those days. It was my school tuck shop :greengrinWas Tam McGillivary still around in 1870 odds?

Could have pub crawled from The Golden Gates via The Snooker Centre down to watch Hibs at Northfield.

wookie70
05-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Was Tam McGillivary still around in 1870 odds?

Could have pub crawled from The Golden Gates via The Snooker Centre down to watch Hibs at Northfield.

Gates, Snooks, Crown, Lodge, Porters, Pickies, Abercorn, Scotties and then a nip in Broadfields

Carheenlea
05-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Not mentioned ( the move).

No - had a brief skim through the second volume (of around the timeline in the EN article at least) and while the proposed Northfield move was documented I didn’t notice anything on the Aberdeen or Motherwell story.

I’ve definitely heard it mentioned before but can’t for the life of me recall where. An element of Chinese Whispers perhaps!

Killiehibbie
05-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Gates, Snooks, Crown, Lodge, Porters, Pickies, Abercorn, Scotties and then a nip in Broadfields

Done that one in reverse along with the Marionville and Hoppy a few times.

Hillsidehibby
06-11-2020, 08:07 AM

All after kicking it off at Gordon Smith’s

son of haggart
06-11-2020, 08:11 AM
All after kicking it off at Gordon Smith’s

The Right Wing and Lady Nairne - only 2 real Northfield bars (I was brought up in the Farm Avenue)

One Day
06-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Came across this,

At that point, though no explanation was given for Aberdeen’s failed application, it became clear to all concerned that amalgamation in some form might open doors.

This perception became even sharper in November 1902, when Aberdeen resisted a proposal from Hibernian to relocate from their Easter Road ground in Edinburgh and take over Pittodrie.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/04/14/1903-aberdeen-football-amalgamation/

Hillsidehibby
06-11-2020, 12:13 PM
The Right Wing and Lady Nairne - only 2 real Northfield bars (I was brought up in the Farm Avenue)

A Grove boy myself

tamig
06-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Done that one in reverse along with the Marionville and Hoppy a few times.

The Marionville was a great wee boozer. Another sadly no longer with us.

Killiehibbie
06-11-2020, 01:11 PM
The Marionville was a great wee boozer. Another sadly no longer with us.
Has the reduction in the amount pubs between Duddingston Crossroads and the Hoppy been replicated all over Edinburgh?
Right Wing, Willowbrae, Abercorn, Pickies, and Gates all gone

tamig
06-11-2020, 01:15 PM
Has the reduction in the amount pubs between Duddingston Crossroads and the Hoppy been replicated all over Edinburgh?
Right Wing, Willowbrae, Abercorn, Pickies, and Gates all gone

It probably has in areas away from the city centre. There are a few stalwart pubs that I thought would have disappeared years ago that are still hanging on though. A lot seem to have gone since the smoking ban came in in 2006 and the rise of the likes of Wetherspoon places has killed quite a few others off.

Carheenlea
06-11-2020, 01:28 PM
Came across this,

At that point, though no explanation was given for Aberdeen’s failed application, it became clear to all concerned that amalgamation in some form might open doors.

This perception became even sharper in November 1902, when Aberdeen resisted a proposal from Hibernian to relocate from their Easter Road ground in Edinburgh and take over Pittodrie.

Good find :aok:

superfurryhibby
06-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Came across this,

I wonder as to the Sheep’s source for this?

There were no doubt behind the scenes machinations going on at Hibs. Issues with the lease at ER, the opening up to become a public limited company and the discontent about lack of investment. The club were the Scottish Cup holders and would win the league season 1902-03. However, they would also transfer a key player.

The board still included Philip Farmer, a Leith man and long standing servant of the club, it’s hard to imagine people like him supporting this proposal.

Just referred to Lugton. He says that Hibs season ticket holders opposed the club becoming a limited company. Prior to this they had a vote on the election of the committee and office bearers (p 124, hard back, first print). One meeting ended in “disorder”.

The following season saw Mc Carthey, Atherton, Hogg and Robertson all transferred down south. Gray and Buchan were to follow by the end of the season ( both to Arsenal)

A familiar tale, the dismantling of a great Hibs side. These must have been factors in what looks like a power struggle and fire sale.

superfurryhibby
06-11-2020, 02:04 PM
As an aside, Lugton describes how these years saw significant improvements carried out at ER, following the securing of the ground from Trinity Hospitals.

He also mentions that the English and Scottish FA sanctioned the formation of a North British League, involving Hibs, Hearts, Dundee, Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough. No fixtures were played, due to fixture congestion.

James Stephen
06-11-2020, 10:31 PM
Lugton makes two mentions of the proposed or rumoured move to Aberdeen in his 2nd volume. He doesnt say if it was true or not, but there must have been enough for it to be written down somewhere by someone i suppose.

buktapurple79
06-11-2020, 10:58 PM

And, following a chip toll at Giovannis, up tae the Willowbrae, Right wing and the Lady Nairn, mibbe the Sheipy and Oman’s and hane tae Craigmilllar back in the day! Was always amazed at how many Hertz in those eastern shires of he capital.

Billy McKirdy
06-11-2020, 11:13 PM
As a Piershill lad it was situated in Piershill not Northfield, I think it was in Lugtons early 90s book along with an illustration.
It’s suspected it was a sectarian decision to refuse permission to play at the stadium, the ground was more or less completed when it was refused a certificate because NBR suddenly announced plans to extend the railways yards into the corner area nearest the railway, the decision prompted Hibs to abandon the project and the plans for the railway never happened, the stadium was demolished and much of the land was given over to an extension to Piershill cemetery..
Hibs eventually decided to remain at Easter Road and built the new main stand as well as moving the pitch.

Billy McKirdy
06-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Not sure how to upload image but try this link to an ordinance survey map of the time

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75512958

Killiehibbie
07-11-2020, 09:15 AM
As a Piershill lad it was situated in Piershill not Northfield, I think it was in Lugtons early 90s book along with an illustration.
It’s suspected it was a sectarian decision to refuse permission to play at the stadium, the ground was more or less completed when it was refused a certificate because NBR suddenly announced plans to extend the railways yards into the corner area nearest the railway, the decision prompted Hibs to abandon the project and the plans for the railway never happened, the stadium was demolished and much of the land was given over to an extension to Piershill cemetery..
Hibs eventually decided to remain at Easter Road and built the new main stand as well as moving the pitch.

Not that you Nixie's would've been allowed to travel that far east!

wookie70
07-11-2020, 10:02 AM
The Right Wing and Lady Nairne - only 2 real Northfield bars (I was brought up in the Farm Avenue)Northfield Park for me. Willow Brae on Sundays for a late drink but The Crown was where I drank most along with Grants when it was in its Hayday. Still remember all the Jambos trooping back to Grants from Dundee in 86. Very few Ugly Sister fans back then from what I remember

wallpaperman
07-11-2020, 11:41 AM

I’m also a local and although situated next to Piershill cemetery, the old stadium site is definitely not in Piershill, no matter how much you want it to be. :greengrin

It’s off Northfield Broadway, roughly opposite where the grass park is beside the Northfield community centre. I don’t think anyone would really class that as Piershill.

Billy McKirdy
07-11-2020, 11:57 AM
I’m also a local and although situated next to Piershill cemetery, the old stadium site is definitely not in Piershill, no matter how much you want it to be. :greengrin

It’s off Northfield Broadway, roughly opposite where the grass park is beside the Northfield community centre. I don’t think anyone would really class that as Piershill.

Next to Piershill cemetery is good enough for me 😁 luckily, in my time, Piershill and Northfield were good neighbours.

Billy McKirdy
07-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Not you Nixie's would've been allowed to travel that far east!
If am a nixie you must be a Thomson 🤣

Killiehibbie
08-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Northfield Park for me. Willow Brae on Sundays for a late drink but The Crown was where I drank most along with Grants when it was in its Hayday. Still remember all the Jambos trooping back to Grants from Dundee in 86. Very few Ugly Sister fans back then from what I remember

That was a fun evening, I remember Terry Coyle, Beans and some other Jambo ordering a drink, looking round seeing us and promptly leaving. I asked Terry the next day why they left so quickly and he said they just couldn't handle the look on our faces. But we didn't say a word. He said you didn't need to. Don't know what he meant🤣

son of haggart
08-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Not sure how to upload image but try this link to an ordinance survey map of the time

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75512958

Thanks for that - brings back a few memories of before the prefabs next to the Figgie park were demolished and the Farm at Northfield too.

I remember the Farm closing and for a while travellers moving in (probably around 1964). Remember sitting on the wall next to what must have been a pig pen. It was what is now Northfield park, behind the Spar (which was Hay and Co. back in the day and sold cans of India Pale Ale to people who weren't really 18....)

eezyrider
08-11-2020, 07:16 PM

I'm a Farm Road boy.

EZ

wookie70
08-11-2020, 08:06 PM
That was a fun evening, I remember Terry Coyle, Beans and some other Jambo ordering a drink, looking round seeing us and promptly leaving. I asked Terry the next day why they left so quickly and he said they just couldn't handle the look on our faces. But we didn't say a word. He said you didn't need to. Don't know what he meant🤣

Beans was a Celtic fan was he not. Terry and him were both good mates of mine and played in the Pickies dart team with me. Grants was a brilliant place to drink for a wee while.

Killiehibbie
08-11-2020, 08:56 PM
Beans was a Celtic fan was he not. Terry and him were both good mates of mine and played in the Pickies dart team with me. Grants was a brilliant place to drink for a wee while.
Never really knew him maybe he was just out for the laugh as well. It was good in there until 3 bouncers tried to batter my wee pal, we got barred and they got sacked for lying down on the job.