PDA

View Full Version : Which lasts longer? A good mood after winning a derby or a bad mood after losing one?

G B Young
03-11-2020, 03:42 PM
As I've mentioned on another thread, I've had a look at our derby record in the years since Hearts came out of administration and were compelled to compete against us on something more like a level financial playing field. In the last 20 derbies Hibs have won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6.

By that token, you might be entitled to conclude that these games can go either way and that even if we lose we should quickly be able to shrug it off because we'll win another one in the not distant future. However, in the wake of last Saturday it seems to me that the rage/depression among our supporters following a defeat dwarfs the joy of winning a derby. That's certainly the case for me. When we win a derby it puts a spring in my step, makes me feel all's right with the world and I basically just get on with my life. A defeat on the other hand can find me, days later, still struggling to shake it off. That can't be a healthy thing and it's made me wonder for some time now why the derby is regarded as a fixture we claim to relish.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2020, 03:45 PM
I mean, the good mood is more than that. It is a good memory. I still watch highlights of old derby wins.

Tyler Durden
03-11-2020, 03:47 PM
7 losses from 20 doesn’t sound too bad but it must be about 5 defeats in last 10 which also doesn’t help.

Lago
03-11-2020, 04:28 PM
I mean, the good mood is more than that. It is a good memory. I still watch highlights of old derby wins.
Exactly you don't revisit the day the result in a bad mood, you do for the day that resulted in the good mood.

Wilson
03-11-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm over it quite quickly either way these days. On to the next game - you're only ever as good as your last result.

In terms of dealing with the loss I think it helps that I feel generally positive about the direction the club is heading. We're signing the right type and age of player for building the club and our league form is positive. It is a project for the longer term.

If we were losing and I felt the club was going nowhere I'd likely be more frustrated.

G B Young
03-11-2020, 05:30 PM
I'm over it quite quickly either way these days. On to the next game - you're only ever as good as your last result.

In terms of dealing with the loss I think it helps that I feel generally positive about the direction the club is heading. We're signing the right type and age of player for building the club and our league form is positive. It is a project for the longer term.

If we were losing and I felt the club was going nowhere I'd likely be more frustrated.

I admire your level-headed perspective. However, the nature of the derby means it comes with a vast amount of additional baggage compared to other games, baggage that can really weigh you down and can skew any sort of rational perspective for most fans. Take Hearts losing to us in Robbie's 'money-spinning replay' the year we won the cup. It effectively cost Neilson his job such was the blood-letting among their fans - even though IIRC they were sitting third in the league.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Depends which stage of Hibbiedom you’re at...

Stonewall
03-11-2020, 05:46 PM
I admire your level-headed perspective. However, the nature of the derby means it comes with a vast amount of additional baggage compared to other games, baggage that can really weigh you down and can skew any sort of rational perspective for most fans. Take Hearts losing to us in Robbie's 'money-spinning replay' the year we won the cup. It effectively cost Neilson his job such was the blood-letting among their fans - even though IIRC they were sitting third in the league.

Sacking him worked out well for them didn’t it.

Relegation and he got re-employred.

Bob1875
03-11-2020, 05:53 PM
This one hurts to be honest. To have a pen in 107 minutes, I’d be confident of us seeing it out.

danhibees1875
03-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Sacking him worked out well for them didn’t it.

Relegation and he got re-employred.

It doesn't sound like a model to follow given we're also in that position of sitting 3rd, does it?

The good mood lasts longer than the bad moods do. :agree:

hibee-boys
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
You can’t compare a run of the mill derby league game with a Scottish Cup semi, that hurts more, particularly with the memories of the recent other Hampden games.

Eyrie
03-11-2020, 06:09 PM
When we got relegated in 1998 I got so drunk that I was blacking out on the train home.

Now I'm a lot older, wiser and busier so I can get over a bad result very quickly by focusing on something else.

Sir David Gray
03-11-2020, 06:19 PM
7 losses from 20 doesn’t sound too bad but it must be about 5 defeats in last 10 which also doesn’t help.

Yeah the last 10 is;

W - 3
D - 2
L - 5

Pretty Boy
03-11-2020, 06:55 PM
It sounds like the kind of thing people just say but I was over Saturday night pretty quickly. That certainly wasn't the case the last couple of times they beat us at Hampden.

I'm usually pretty irrational when it comes to football and can lose the rag with the best of them. After a bit of venting on Sunday morning I found myself increasingly bemused by how mental people were going; not because I didn't get it but I just wasn't feeling it myself. Being totally honest it was done and dusted for me on Saturday night. It was a new and inventive way to **** up in a derby but an hour after the game I was laughing and joking in my mates garden and we had a decent night. I feel totally disconnected from Hibs right now, watching a team on a screen doesn't create the same depth of feeling as being there, and my mood is far less dictated by the Hibs result this season.

On the more general point then the good mood lasts longer. Some of my best memories in football are as a result of derby wins, the defeats barely register after a period of time.

matty_f
03-11-2020, 06:59 PM
I was in a stinking mood through to yesterday, when a coffee with someone who’s had an infinitely worse weekend than me put things into perspective.

That said, recording longbangers tonight so I’m going to have to talk about it again, so fully expect to be raging again by about 10pm.

Jones28
03-11-2020, 07:16 PM
I was over it within minutes tbh, I don’t think I ever thought we would win it though so I didn’t get too worked up about it. The way it happened was **** but that can be football.

EI255
03-11-2020, 08:13 PM
As I've mentioned on another thread, I've had a look at our derby record in the years since Hearts came out of administration and were compelled to compete against us on something more like a level financial playing field. In the last 20 derbies Hibs have won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6.

By that token, you might be entitled to conclude that these games can go either way and that even if we lose we should quickly be able to shrug it off because we'll win another one in the not distant future. However, in the wake of last Saturday it seems to me that the rage/depression among our supporters following a defeat dwarfs the joy of winning a derby. That's certainly the case for me. When we win a derby it puts a spring in my step, makes me feel all's right with the world and I basically just get on with my life. A defeat on the other hand can find me, days later, still struggling to shake it off. That can't be a healthy thing and it's made me wonder for some time now why the derby is regarded as a fixture we claim to relish.Well over Saturday. Too many important things to be getting on with and thinking about. Football always comes second.

We'll have our time again. No question about that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
03-11-2020, 08:22 PM
The pain of this derby defeat lasted 2 days and that’s standard for me.

when we win one I’ve still got a warm glow a week later

Killiehibbie
03-11-2020, 08:44 PM
A victory good mood will always last longer. A defeat is forgotten about far quicker. It helps that I don't meet any of them very often and have no contact with any either.

thegaffer12
03-11-2020, 08:52 PM
If we win Friday my mood will be sky high. Right now the derby still feels a bit raw.

Roxyhibee
03-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Good question this. Normally a derby victory would last longer and everyday until the next game, but this was a painful disaster and I’m still angry at some of our players and Jack Ross. Not even thinking about Friday yet - I think I’ll still be thinking about our derby defeat then too.

kaimendhibs
03-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Good mood.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JammyDoidger
04-11-2020, 01:46 AM
I'm just used to it now If I'm honest.

Since452
04-11-2020, 05:52 AM
This derby humiliation is hurting slightly less than the last derby humiliation. The next one probably even less. Slowly becoming hardened to them sadly.

Not So Young
04-11-2020, 12:39 PM
I think a bad one

A good one can be disrupted by losing our next game when it's all " there's no point wining the derby to get beat by X"

A bad one is only slightly relieved by winning the next game when it's " why could they not play like that last week" and if you lose the game after losing a derby it's meltdown

Brightside
04-11-2020, 12:54 PM
It sounds like the kind of thing people just say but I was over Saturday night pretty quickly. That certainly wasn't the case the last couple of times they beat us at Hampden.

I'm usually pretty irrational when it comes to football and can lose the rag with the best of them. After a bit of venting on Sunday morning I found myself increasingly bemused by how mental people were going; not because I didn't get it but I just wasn't feeling it myself. Being totally honest it was done and dusted for me on Saturday night. It was a new and inventive way to **** up in a derby but an hour after the game I was laughing and joking in my mates garden and we had a decent night. I feel totally disconnected from Hibs right now, watching a team on a screen doesn't create the same depth of feeling as being there, and my mood is far less dictated by the Hibs result this season.

On the more general point then the good mood lasts longer. Some of my best memories in football are as a result of derby wins, the defeats barely register after a period of time.

I was over it 2 hrs after the game. Its just another game.

G B Young
04-11-2020, 01:29 PM
I think a bad one

A good one can be disrupted by losing our next game when it's all " there's no point wining the derby to get beat by X"

A bad one is only slightly relieved by winning the next game when it's " why could they not play like that last week" and if you lose the game after losing a derby it's meltdown

That's well summed up. Losing the next game after winning a derby (or perhaps a win at places like Ibrox) is maddening.

Hope I'm wrong, but I fear we're heading towards the meltdown you mention this Friday...

Brightside
04-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Forums really aren't a good indication of the general feeling of an over all support. A meltdown on here doesn't play out with the majority of fans.

G B Young
04-11-2020, 01:41 PM
I was over it 2 hrs after the game. Its just another game.

I wish it was, but it isn't. There's no other fixture we play where the knowledge that our opposition counterparts (ie the Hearts fans) are wallowing as much in our angst as they are celebrating their side's win. That's what really sets derby defeats apart. When we beat pretty much anyone else our celebrations are primarily focused around Hibs doing well, while the defeated side are by and large just disappointed by their own team's result rather than seething with hatred for Hibs. With a derby the other side's gloom plays pretty much an equal part of the celebration. It's not healthy and adds a horrible layer of pressure/tension to the fixture.

where'stheslope
04-11-2020, 01:45 PM
I think what makes this one worse, is nearly everyone on this forum thought we just needed to turn up to win by 3,4,5 goals, after all they were a championship team with hardly any match fitness!
Then at the game we don't turn up, and they run out winners?
That is what makes it all the harder for most fans on here to take it.
Others who say that they were over it in hours, were the ones who probably are still hurting from our other Hampden debacles!!!

Brightside
04-11-2020, 01:49 PM
I wish it was, but it isn't. There's no other fixture we play where the knowledge that our opposition counterparts (ie the Hearts fans) are wallowing as much in our angst as they are celebrating their side's win. That's what really sets derby defeats apart. When we beat pretty much anyone else our celebrations are primarily focused around Hibs doing well, while the defeated side are by and large just disappointed by their own team's result rather than seething with hatred for Hibs. With a derby the other side's gloom plays pretty much an equal part of the celebration. It's not healthy and adds a horrible layer of pressure/tension to the fixture.

Spoken to half a dozen Hibs pals in the last few days. Initially massively pissed off but a day later just thinking about the next game. Its a pretty horrible cycle to get yourself in if you sit and worry what some hearts fans think......and here is the thing..... the majority dont care in the same way the majority of Hibs fans dont care about them. Forums bring out people who have those extremes of emotions about the games - otherwise they wouldn't post. The majority aren't that bothered.

B.H.F.C
04-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Spoken to half a dozen Hibs pals in the last few days. Initially massively pissed off but a day later just thinking about the next game. Its a pretty horrible cycle to get yourself in if you sit and worry what some hearts fans think......and here is the thing..... the majority dont care in the same way the majority of Hibs fans dont care about them. Forums bring out people who have those extremes of emotions about the games - otherwise they wouldn't post. The majority aren't that bothered.

Funny, the folk I’ve spoken to are bothered by it. All season ticket holders as well. By the time Aberdeen comes round we’ll all pay our money for PPV and watch it. But the derby result will take a while for a lot of folk to get over (in the context of football).

G B Young
04-11-2020, 01:56 PM
I think what makes this one worse, is nearly everyone on this forum thought we just needed to turn up to win by 3,4,5 goals, after all they were a championship team with hardly any match fitness!
Others who say that they were over it in hours, were the ones who probably are still hurting from our other Hampden debacles!!!

I didn't think we'd win by several goals, but I was certainly confident we'd win - so yes, losing came as a particularly unpleasant shock.

Is it really fair to say we didn't turn up though? We had the better chances, fought back from a goal down and ended up being just a penalty kick away from most likely winning it. To me that doesn't compare with the derby defeat at ER just before lockdown which was one of the poorest Hibs performances I've ever seen, not just in derbies.

G B Young
04-11-2020, 02:00 PM

I agree it's a horrible thing but I don't agree it's only forum posters who think that way. Most Hibs fans I know certainly seethe about the yams. Back in the day we used to imagine hurling grenades into the celebrating hordes behind the goal at ER if Hearts scored in a derby!

Iggy Pope
04-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Funny, the folk I’ve spoken to are bothered by it. All season ticket holders as well. By the time Aberdeen comes round we’ll all pay our money for PPV and watch it. But the derby result will take a while for a lot of folk to get over (in the context of football).

A fraction of our ST holders would have travelled to Pittodrie for a night game so more Hibbies will be paying to watch on Friday than normal. Even after that result.
Hampden would’ve been a sell out too, so probably a twentieth of that in number (or less) would be at the sheep.......

B.H.F.C
04-11-2020, 02:19 PM
A fraction of our ST holders would have travelled to Pittodrie for a night game so more Hibbies will be paying to watch on Friday than normal. Even after that result.
Hampden would’ve been a sell out too, so probably a twentieth of that in number (or less) would be at the sheep.......

No sure many more will pay to watch it than would attend, but that’s a different argument.

My point was that, yes, folk will get on with things and watch the next game when it comes round. Doesn’t mean the Hearts game will be forgotten though. And if we don’t happen to get a positive result and you combine that with the lingering feeling from last week, that would lead to and interesting reaction.

Pagan Hibernia
04-11-2020, 02:43 PM

there were just as many of us cautioning against over confidence as there were people predicting a pumping.

most of us are all too familiar with how these derbys tend to pan out.

Iggy Pope
04-11-2020, 05:05 PM
No sure many more will pay to watch it than would attend, but that’s a different argument.

My point was that, yes, folk will get on with things and watch the next game when it comes round. Doesn’t mean the Hearts game will be forgotten though. And if we don’t happen to get a positive result and you combine that with the lingering feeling from last week, that would lead to and interesting reaction.

I’m 100% sure.

B.H.F.C
04-11-2020, 05:11 PM
I’m 100% sure.

You think a thousand plus folk will pay to watch? There will certainly be more than that watching, not sure about paying though.

wookie70
04-11-2020, 05:19 PM
The good mood lasts longer for me and I'm typically a half empty type. The good news is a defeat doesn't feel as bad if you aren't there and it is years since I missed a Derby before the C19 defeat

One Day
05-11-2020, 08:00 AM
The good mood after winning lasts longer

lyonhibs
05-11-2020, 08:08 AM
I'm mostly blasé either way these days tbh. Different priorities and living abroad meant I didn't get to watch the game and there was only a mild case of "oh FFS Hibs when we missed our penalty.
It's a new iteration on the age old "Hibs **** up at Hampden" story, life goes on and there's a lot more to life than Hibs, or indeed football full stop.

If I'd been at the game, or even regularly attending Hibs games in general, the disappointment would lonely be more acute but not much more longer lasting.