PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Play off Final Squad

Billy Whizz
03-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Griffiths back in, but no place for McGinn or Hanlon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54798016

The 90+2
03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Delighted Griffiths is back. Shame on Paul who’s done nothing wrong.

jeffers
03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
From a purely selfish point of view I’m glad none of them have been selected, thought how Paterson has been called up again ahead of Nisbet is a puzzler.

Billy Whizz
03-11-2020, 02:02 PM
From a purely selfish point of view I’m glad none of them have been selected, thought how Paterson has been called up again ahead of Nisbet is a puzzler.

Means we have a decent squad to play Dundee, apart from Rocky, Porteous and Mcgennis

jeffers
03-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Means we have a decent squad to play Dundee, apart from Rocky, Porteous and Mcgennis

Yes, was exactly what I was thinking.

Spike Mandela
03-11-2020, 02:06 PM

It will be down to experience I imagine. Nisbet’s time will come.

hibee-boys
03-11-2020, 02:12 PM
What on earth does he see in Oliver Burke🙈

The 90+2
03-11-2020, 02:16 PM
What on earth does he see in Oliver Burke🙈

A Premiership footballer?

Gloucester Hibs
03-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Gallagher and Considine probably deserve to start against Serbia based on their performances in the last round of fixtures. Wonder if Clark will go five at the back to enable both Robertson and Tierney to start? Guessing we'll be looking to counter attack the Serbs so Fraser will likely start as he is rapid. Dykes hasn't let us down at all so he probably gets the nod up front with Griffiths a good option to have from the bench.

The 90+2
03-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Gallagher and Considine probably deserve to start against Serbia based on their performances in the last round of fixtures. Wonder if Clark will go five at the back to enable both Robertson and Tierney to start? Guessing we'll be looking to counter attack the Serbs so Fraser will likely start as he is rapid. Dykes hasn't let us down at all so he probably gets the nod up front with Griffiths a good option to have from the bench.

We need to play Cooper.

Brightside
03-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Hanley in. Hanlon out. :rolleyes:

Gloucester Hibs
03-11-2020, 02:30 PM
We need to play Cooper.

Wouldn't be against that tbh but would likely be at the expense of Considine who played so well in those 1-0 wins over Slovakia and the Czechs. As long as McKenna doesn't come back in..

hibee-boys
03-11-2020, 02:32 PM
A Premiership footballer?

I assumed it would be based on the quality of the player not the league his team is in. From what I’ve seen of him at club and international level I’d rather have Chris Burke!

B.H.F.C
03-11-2020, 02:35 PM
We need to play Cooper.

It’s a big call for Clarke.

Does he choose a team based on reputation or based on the players who did very well last month.

Cooper hasn’t ever really done anything for Scotland. I know he’s captain of Leeds but they’re not exactly defensively sound.

Billy Whizz
03-11-2020, 02:43 PM
It’s a big call for Clarke.

Does he choose a team based on reputation or based on the players who did very well last month.

Cooper hasn’t ever really done anything for Scotland. I know he’s captain of Leeds but they’re not exactly defensively sound.

It’s a squad for 3 games, I’m sure a few of them will get a run out

Mikey_1875
03-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Really hope this one goes well for us. Normally don’t care too much for the national team but think the country could do with a lift!

Would definitely be tempted to start with the same side that beat Israel but imagine Tierney will come in for Considine which is unlucky for him. Griff gives us a much improved option coming off the bench as well as Christie being back in the fold.

JXM73
03-11-2020, 02:58 PM
No hibs players, no interest...

B.H.F.C
03-11-2020, 03:03 PM
It’s a squad for 3 games, I’m sure a few of them will get a run out

Aye of course but the first one is the big one, obviously. That’s where the big decisions are for Clarke.

darwenhibby
03-11-2020, 03:09 PM

Maybe it was a slip of the keyboard and Scotland are stuck with it!
Any way would be great if Scotland can qualify

erin go bragh
03-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Two slips 😉😀Would be brilliant if we did qualify.
Nisbet can’t be far away from a call up

Spike Mandela
03-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Hanlon misses out because of autocorrect.:greengrin

calumhibee1
03-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Shankland ahead of Nisbet...

Only excuse there would be if Nisbet is just getting a bit of time to himself after the last week.

neil7908
03-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Shankland ahead of Nisbet...

Only excuse there would be if Nisbet is just getting a bit of time to himself after the last week.

Agreed. Understand why Nisbet might not feature given what he's been through but on ability alone there should be no doubt about who is in the squad.

Magpie
03-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Clarke needs players with a strong mentality for this game.

h1bs4life
03-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Unlucky for them but from a selfish point of view it means they are available for the Betfred Cup.
No point them being in the squad to sit on the bench and maybe get 10 mins .

Speedy
03-11-2020, 06:55 PM
I assumed it would be based on the quality of the player not the league his team is in. From what I’ve seen of him at club and international level I’d rather have Chris Burke!

I'd rather have Kathy Burke.

Oli is murder.

Speedy
03-11-2020, 06:57 PM

Different side of the pitch. It's more Hanley in for Porteous, Tierney/McKenna in for Hanlon.

Cooper & Considine also competing with Hanlon for a place.

CMurdoch
03-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Decent looking squad other than Patterson.
Nothing to do with his Hearts connection.
Just looked like a big clumsy oaf when he came on in the last 2 games.

Biggest miss is Forrest. Not bothered by the absence of Fleck.

Hopefully they can all avoid any Covid issues. As we have seen one guy gets it and the kicker is a load more have to isolate

Of the Hibs players only Hanlon would have been worth a place in the squad.
Young Nisbet has more than enough on his plate at the moment. He needs to be near his family.
His time will come.

one day maybe...
03-11-2020, 09:47 PM
So any thoughts on the line-up, if every one is fit from the squad.

My formation would be 5 - 3 - 1 - 1 with McTominey holding and Fraser playing a free role just behind Dykes

Marshall

Tierney
Cooper
McTominey
Gallagher
Robertson

McGregor
Christie
McGinn

Fraser

Dykes

CMurdoch
03-11-2020, 09:51 PM
So any thoughts on the line-up, if every one is fit from the squad.

My formation would be 5 - 3 - 1 - 1 with McTominey holding and Fraser playing a free role just behind Dykes

Marshall

Tierney
Cooper
McTominey
Gallagher
Robertson

McGregor
Christie
McGinn

Fraser

Dykes

That looks about as good as we could muster. Fingers crossed it gets to the start line.

Since452
04-11-2020, 05:58 AM
Gordon should be starting

JimBHibees
04-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Gordon should be starting

Disagree Marshall has done really well and wouldn't deserve to be dropped. Gordon was pretty poor in some of his latter games England being an example plus the away game to Slovenia.

bod
04-11-2020, 06:47 AM
Marshall doesn’t deserve to be dropped.Gordon does for his desisions against ingerlund

EI255
04-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Really, really difficult to get excited about Scotland. I'd rather see Hibs do better than worry about Scotland.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Fergus52
04-11-2020, 09:58 AM

Tierney will play left centre back in the 3 ahead of Considine and rightly so.

Maybe a bit harsh but it's Scotland's biggest game in 20 years, the best players need to play. Clarke needs to be ruthless.

SteveHFC
06-11-2020, 11:03 PM
Fraser out of the squad next week due to injury. Shame we need him.

davhibby
06-11-2020, 11:08 PM
Fraser out of the squad next week due to injury. Shame we need him.

Hopefully Sparky can come in and replace him, think he should be able to offer a similar threat

1875Sean
06-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Glowing Fraser is a big blow, nobody else in the squad with his pace

TheHarpy76
07-11-2020, 12:27 AM
Gordon is technically better than Marshall.

Marshall has done nothing to deserve to be dropped though.

The 90+2
07-11-2020, 12:35 AM
Gordon is technically better than Marshall.

Marshall has done nothing to deserve to be dropped though.

No he’s not. Marshall is well better.

California-Hibs
07-11-2020, 02:06 AM
Ryan Fraser being injured is a massive blow for us. This is our biggest game in a long long time. If you're not interested in the National team then why feel the need to simply come on here and only add that. Some of us are very much interested in the national team!

Still think we have a team more than capable, although Serbia are a good team. I'm excited for this one with our good recent form!

California-Hibs
07-11-2020, 02:09 AM

Craig Gordon is an utterly fantastic keeper and one of, if not thee, best Scottish keepers we've had for years. Marshall has done well recently, but I'd still go with Gordon. Some of his saves in recent weeks are up there with the best of best, even if he is a Jambo and we'd be in the Cup Final if it wasn't for him.

TheHarpy76
07-11-2020, 02:35 AM

Are you saying that because you believe it. Or because Gordon is a Hearts player?

As I said. I don’t think Marshall has done anything to be dropped and he should start against Serbia.
Technically though, Gordon is a better keeper.

Hulk1875
07-11-2020, 02:39 AM
Glowing Fraser is a big blow, nobody else in the squad with his pace

Yeah exciting player with his pace

Hulk1875
07-11-2020, 02:40 AM
I’m 32 and can only mind Scotland in World Cup 98 I was 10 surely about time I see us in tournament again, one off game against good team but having no fans there will help us you never know

Hulk1875
07-11-2020, 02:42 AM
Are you saying that because you believe it. Or because Gordon is a Hearts player?

As I said. I don’t think Marshall has done anything to be dropped and he should start against Serbia.
Technically though, Gordon is a better keeper.

Gordon a his age brillant great signing for hearts I’d stick with Marshall as done nothing wrong but Gordon could step up if needed

TheHarpy76
07-11-2020, 02:44 AM
We’ve got a chance:
We might not be pretty to watch. But Clarke has made us bloody hard to beat.

TheHarpy76
07-11-2020, 02:45 AM
Gordon a his age brillant great signing for hearts I’d stick with Marshall as done nothing wrong but Gordon could step up if needed

I completely agree. Marshall has done nothing to deserve being dropped and should keep his place.
It’ll do him the world of good knowing that an on form keeper is snapping at his heels.

The dalmeny
07-11-2020, 07:30 AM
I completely agree. Marshall has done nothing to deserve being dropped and should keep his place.
It’ll do him the world of good knowing that an on form keeper is snapping at his heels.

spot on, worked for the shirt

1875Sean
07-11-2020, 09:08 AM
See Sky are making the game free to watch on sky pick for those that don’t have sky sports

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 07:50 AM
I'd like to see Mctominay McGinn Armstrong and christie as the 4 in midfield

Dmas
08-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Yeah exciting player with his pace

Has anyone been called up to replace Fraser yet? I can’t think of anyone that could come in now in the same position, maybe the guy Wright at aberdeen not quite sure he’s ready for international be another squad filling exercise

hibbysam
08-11-2020, 08:15 AM

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter how well McTominay plays for United in midfield, he’ll be kept at centre half for Scotland because 1) he’s been decent there, 2) we don’t have anyone else to play there, and 3) it helps Clarke keep the likes of McGregor in the team.

McTominay Mcginn and Armstrong should be our three, the three players playing at the top of their game, in their right positions. Christie would be on the bench as he’s not a centre forward. If McTominay does have to play centre half then it should be Jack that plays deep in midfield, again his natural position and one he’s been performing at a very high level at for both Scotland and rangers.

Tyler Durden
08-11-2020, 08:16 AM

McTominay will stay in the back 3. Tierney in for Considine.

I think the only doubt is whether Christie or Armstrong replace Fraser.

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 08:21 AM
McTominay will stay in the back 3. Tierney in for Considine.

I think the only doubt is whether Christie or Armstrong replace Fraser.

I think McKenna is back playing so wouldn't be surprised to see him back in with Tierney and Gallagher as the 3 CBs. Which would allow Mctominay to play centre midfield

Tyler Durden
08-11-2020, 08:30 AM
I think McKenna is back playing so wouldn't be surprised to see him back in with Tierney and Gallagher as the 3 CBs. Which would allow Mctominay to play centre midfield

Could be that he goes with McKenna to help combat Mitrovic. But he does seem set on Jack, McGregor and McGinn as the central 3.

B.H.F.C
08-11-2020, 08:36 AM
Could be that he goes with McKenna to help combat Mitrovic. But he does seem set on Jack, McGregor and McGinn as the central 3.

Think Armstrong will play, but a bit further forward. Agree he’s set on that midfield three and they’ll play. Would have Armstrong in the middle of the park ahead of McGregor all day long.

danhibees1875
08-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Gordon
Cooper McKenna Gallagher
Tierney..... Mctominay ..... Robertson
McGinn McGregor
Dykes Griffiths

Maybe Armstrong for Griffiths and flood the midfield but with a reasonable number of midfielders able to get up and support Dykes.
Caveat: I don't know much about the Scotland set up. :greengrin

JimBHibees
08-11-2020, 09:01 AM

I think that will be the central 3 and probably fair enough. Tierney will come in left CBC in a 3 and other decision will be whether Gallagher keeps his place or Cooper comes in not sure if McKenna will start. Personally would keep Gallagher in with Mctominay and tierney. Think Christie might play off dykes to replace Fraser. A lot of options and hopefully we get through, Serbia are good but imo lack of fans will help us over there. Nick first goal and they might implode as temperament isn't the best imo.

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Marshall
.... Gallagher McKenna Tierney.......
O'Donnell....,,,,,...............Robertson
.............. Mctominay..................
..... Armstrong ....... McGinn ....... .................Dykes

JimBHibees
08-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Marshall
.... Gallagher McKenna Tierney.......
O'Donnell....,,,,,...............Robertson
.............. Mctominay..................
..... Armstrong ....... McGinn ....... .................Dykes

No chance if only playing 10 players. :greengrin

danhibees1875
08-11-2020, 09:10 AM

9, Dykes is still in the changing rooms there. :greengrin

JimBHibees
08-11-2020, 09:10 AM
9, Dykes is still in the changing rooms there. :greengrin

:greengrin or selling pies at the side of the pitch.

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Oops
I had Christie in behind Dykes ( still a bit early)
541 formation

Daniel 1875
08-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Clarke won’t shift from the 3-5-2 which returned three good results last time. Also can’t see him moving away from McTominay at the back which would give us something like:

Marshall

McTominay
Gallagher
Tierney

O’Donnell/Palmer
Jack
McGinn
McGregor/Armstrong
Robertson

Christie
Dykes

I’d like to see Armstrong in from the start ahead of McGregor who I feel is very rarely as good as he is for Celtic when he wears a Scotland shirt. O’Donnell doesn't deserve to be dropped after decent performances in the last three games - he’s not the most technically able footballer but he seems to fit into what Clarke is looking for.

Fraser would have started so I think Christie comes in to play a similar role, with Griffiths on the bench to make an impact.

The 90+2
08-11-2020, 09:40 AM
You have to play Armstrong who is arguably the form player in the Premiership at the moment - in the same position he plays for Southampton.

B.H.F.C
08-11-2020, 10:07 AM
You have to play Armstrong who is arguably the form player in the Premiership at the moment - in the same position he plays for Southampton.

Was just about to post exactly that. He’s in brilliant form just now.

The 90+2
08-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Was just about to post exactly that. He’s in brilliant form just now.

100%. If he’s left out then it can never be claimed players are picked on form (when they are playing well for the old firm and pressured into playing).

1875Sean
08-11-2020, 03:14 PM
I think he will go with

Marshall

McTominay
McKenna
Tierney

Palmer
Jack
McGinn
McGregor
Robertson

Christie
Dykes

I hope he goes with

Marshall

McTominay
Cooper
Tierney

Palmer
Christie
McGinn
McGregor
Robertson

Griffihs
Dykes

The Modfather
08-11-2020, 03:29 PM
100%. If he’s left out then it can never be claimed players are picked on form (when they are playing well for the old firm and pressured into playing).

I like Armstrong and would like to see him in the team. However if Clarke was to keep faith with the team that has seen a mini revival the last few games I’d not use Armstrong as a stick to beat him with.

JimBHibees
08-11-2020, 03:35 PM

Not sure can't remember ever playing that well for Scotland his main contribution was in not seeing out a win v England. Don't think he deserves to play in a team that has done well recently and midfield is an area of strength. Useful option from the bench

Col2
08-11-2020, 05:13 PM
Looks like Serbia have some quarantine constraints.

https://twitter.com/timomouse/status/1325495876727558145?s=21

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 05:34 PM

This would be big bonus for us. Unlucky for the serbs but thems the breaks

Billy Whizz
08-11-2020, 05:37 PM
This would be big bonus for us. Unlucky for the serbs but thems the breaks

It would, but remember we lost 3 of our own players before the Israel game

Gmack7
08-11-2020, 05:54 PM
It would, but remember we lost 3 of our own players before the Israel game
Yip i appreciate that. I just feel we'll need to be good and lucky on Thursday to get the right result. If these procedures weaken the serb team then so be it. We'll need all the help we can get

CMurdoch
08-11-2020, 08:28 PM

Update on this - According to local media, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic was already in Serbia by the time Italy announced this so looks like he will be available to face Scotland.

Robbo6-2
08-11-2020, 08:44 PM
He was playing for Lazio today vs Juvey

CMurdoch
08-11-2020, 09:12 PM
He was playing for Lazio today vs Juvey

Nice one. He is the main guy 6'4" and useful at both ends of the pitch.
That's what I get for quoting from Richard Wilson's twitter account.
I shouldn't have believed it!

Moulin Yarns
08-11-2020, 09:17 PM
I see sky have made Thursday's game free to view. Any idea if it's possible to get it on freeview or freesat?

Sir David Gray
08-11-2020, 09:20 PM
I see sky have made Thursday's game free to view. Any idea if it's possible to get it on freeview or freesat?

It will be on Pick which is available on Freeview.

The 90+2
08-11-2020, 10:03 PM

Yeah it’s on freeview.

The 90+2
08-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Not sure can't remember ever playing that well for Scotland his main contribution was in not seeing out a win v England. Don't think he deserves to play in a team that has done well recently and midfield is an area of strength. Useful option from the bench

I’ve not seen Messi have his best games for Argentina every single football tournament but I’m sure the players around him want to play with the best footballer playing at the highest level of their group
Armstrong is ripping it, was Celtics best player. You don’t play Armstrong or Tierney if you don’t play Armstrong?

JimBHibees
09-11-2020, 06:22 AM
I’ve not seen Messi have his best games for Argentina every single football tournament but I’m sure the players around him want to play with the best footballer playing at the highest level of their group
Armstrong is ripping it, was Celtics best player. You don’t play Armstrong or Tierney if you don’t play Armstrong?

You are comparing Stuart Armstrong to Messi. :greengrin Agree he is a good player however we have a lot of good players in midfield

Moulin Yarns
09-11-2020, 07:53 AM
It will be on Pick which is available on Freeview.

I live in an area with limited freeview channels, I can’t get sky arts for example.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2020, 12:22 PM
I live in an area with limited freeview channels, I can’t get sky arts for example.

Ah right sorry not too sure then.

The 90+2
09-11-2020, 12:45 PM
You are comparing Stuart Armstrong to Messi. :greengrin Agree he is a good player however we have a lot of good players in midfield

A posher (not a miss-spell, honest) Messi, aye :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
11-11-2020, 12:00 AM

Sky Pick is freeview channel 11.

Frazerbob
11-11-2020, 08:05 AM

It’ll be on YouTube

Moulin Yarns
12-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Sky arts is supposed to be on channel 11 on freeview, Where I live there is no channel 11, or 12, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, need I go on? What do people not understand about only getting 43 channels and NONE of the premium channels?

Mr Grieves
12-11-2020, 10:09 AM

Freeview channel 35 on my TV.

Mr Grieves
12-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Sky arts is supposed to be on channel 11 on freeview, Where I live there is no channel 11, or 12, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, need I go on? What do people not understand about only getting 43 channels and NONE of the premium channels?

It's also on sky one which is available on Now TV. You can get a free 7 day trial so you could stream it through your laptop, tablet, smart TV,

oneone73
12-11-2020, 11:57 AM

Some Freeview channels have moved in the last week. Try a full retune of your set? You might get Pick on Channel 35 if you're lucky.
Out of interest, is your Freesat any better?

Moulin Yarns
12-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Some Freeview channels have moved in the last week. Try a full retune of your set? You might get Pick on Channel 35 if you're lucky.
Out of interest, is your Freesat any better?

Freesat has loads more channels. I am limited by the channels on freeview because of the transmitter I'm on.

oneone73
12-11-2020, 12:35 PM
Freesat has loads more channels. I am limited by the channels on freeview because of the transmitter I'm on.

Sorry, I thought you said earlier you had Freesat. My bad.