PDA

View Full Version : How much have we improved since 2016?

Magpie
31-10-2020, 07:33 PM
How would the Scottish Cup winning team get on against the team that played today? Hanlon the only player to have played both games.

vahibbie
31-10-2020, 07:38 PM
The 2016 team would be in another final....and probably win it.

neil7908
31-10-2020, 07:39 PM
The 2016 team would be in another final....and probably win it.

This.

supermcginn
31-10-2020, 07:41 PM
A team that finished behind falkirk then lost to them in the playoffs but I must admit I'd swap them I'm a minute for the current team.

wookie70
31-10-2020, 08:45 PM
2016 team would have walked that game. We were second to the ball countless times, gave them the freedom of the pitch and lacked a bit of bottle. We have went backwards from 2016 and 2017 imo

Magpie
31-10-2020, 08:47 PM
2016 team would have walked that game. We were second to the ball countless times, gave them the freedom of the pitch and lacked a bit of bottle. We have went backwards from 2016 and 2017 imo

Downhill since McGinn left imo, although we have started this season well. Still unconvinced by some of our performances though and today was a reality check.

The Wireless
31-10-2020, 08:48 PM
A team that finished behind falkirk then lost to them in the playoffs but I must admit I'd swap them I'm a minute for the current team.

Not a chance

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2020, 08:50 PM

Is that genuinely how you remember that side?

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Our midfield showed today that they are all worse players than the 2016 team, Gogic Newell and Boyle are poor compared to Fyvie McGeouch and McGinn, the jury is out on McGennis and Murphy.

Magpie
31-10-2020, 08:52 PM

To be fair the poster could probably include league cup losers to Ross County. Still legends though.

Magpie
31-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Our midfield showed today that they are all worse players than the 2016 team, Gogic Newell and Boyle are poor compared to Fyvie McGeouch and McGinn, the jury is out on McGennis and Murphy.

Boyle couldn’t even get an appearance that day, neither could Bartley who is arguably better or just as good as Gogic.

J-C
31-10-2020, 08:55 PM
We haven't improved in my opinion, the players in that final were and are better by a long way. There were more leaders in that team, better all round quality and seemed closer knit as a team.

Smartie
31-10-2020, 08:58 PM
The 2016 side was a cracking one and we’re still in the process of rebuilding that one after it inevitably broke up.

The transitional period has taken too long and by the looks of things we’ve got a bit to go yet.

We have some good players but we’re still lacking a good bit of what that side had - they could play but they could also battle. They had different things to draw upon to win big games. If anything they were set up too much for the big games and underperformed in the smaller games, whereas this mob are half-decent flat track bullies.

In all honesty, it’s what we have that should get us top 4 but we need something extra if we’re ever to go further ie win trophies, top 3 or regularly win derbies.

Our squad horribly lacks depth (very few options for Ross to change a game in which we’re struggling) yet I don’t think there’s a formation that comfortably accommodates all of our best players.

Hard work, tough choices, and some soul searching from certain figures about how they approach certain situations lie ahead.

We have a few pieces that might be part of a team as good as the 2016 one but in my opinion we’re still miles short of that level.

supermcginn
31-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Have I to forget their bad side?

supermcginn
31-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Boyle couldn’t even get an appearance that day, neither could Bartley who is arguably better or just as good as Gogic.

Bartley is miles better than gogic and I like gogic.

supermcginn
31-10-2020, 09:09 PM
To be fair the poster could probably include league cup losers to Ross County. Still legends though.

Correct. Flawed but legends. No shame in that.

supermcginn
31-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Not a chance

Please. Who from the team just now would get a game.

wookie70
31-10-2020, 09:31 PM
Please. Who from the team just now would get a game.

Marciano, struggling after that. Nisbet and Cummings are equal and Stubbs didn't favour the long ball so no need for Doidge

Unseen work
31-10-2020, 10:32 PM
People have very short memories it appears.

That SC final team were 3rd in the Championship and lost a cup final to Ross County.

Im not saying they weren’t a very good team, but it’s not like they weren’t capable of losing a game we should win.

neil7908
31-10-2020, 10:52 PM
SJM by himself could have beaten that lot tonight. It's games like this you remember what a player he was for us.

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2020, 10:56 PM
People have very short memories it appears.

That SC final team were 3rd in the Championship and lost a cup final to Ross County.

Im not saying they weren’t a very good team, but it’s not like they weren’t capable of losing a game we should win.

They got promoted a year later and pished the spl, finishing nearly 20 above Hearts. Quality side. They got to both cup finals in a season, no other Hibs side has ever done that.

hibee62
31-10-2020, 11:05 PM
They got promoted a year later and pished the spl, finishing nearly 20 above Hearts. Quality side. They got to both cup finals in a season, no other Hibs side has ever done that.

That team peaked in summer 2018, Lennon had taken them as far as he could and it was heading downhill because Lennon didn’t know how to operate on a budget. He was used to spending what was needed and while he had Mcginn that wasn’t much.

The heckingbottom year was stagnant, before Ross made us better. Ross is still making us better and deserves time until he too stagnates, hopefully leaving us in at least 3rd place! It’s cyclic, and it always will be. Even McCinnes is under pressure since Aberdeen haven’t improved in years, but I’d bet when he goes Aberdeen will spend a couple of years going backwards.

B.H.F.C
31-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Don’t think we have.

danhibees1875
01-11-2020, 06:52 AM
How would the Scottish Cup winning team get on against the team that played today? Hanlon the only player to have played both games.

Specifically the cup winning starting 11, but not exclusively the way they performed on that day, just that time period...

It would be quite a close game I think - 2016 team would edge it, perhaps to be kind it would be on penalties, they seem better at them.

Marciano is better than Logan.

The 2016 defence were a bit more solid as a balanced 5 compared to the current 4.

2016 take the midfield battle too - mostly because of SJM. Newall seems to have found his feet now and along with Gogic and Magennis look like they could bring as much as Fyvie or McGeoch (maybe not quite actually).

Up front I'd rather have Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet consistently than Stokes and Cummings. Although stokes exploits on 21516 will struggle to be matched.

James Stephen
01-11-2020, 06:54 AM

Hibs did improve after 2016, id say 2018 was that sides peak.

We are definitely weaker now though, although at an earlier point in the cycle of this team under Ross.

Onion
01-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Cup Winning team would have walked into the final. They had a winning attitude, steely determination and some exceptional players. This current team can pretty pretty football but lack leadership, characters and true winners. I thought Nisbet might be a different and go much further in the game but now not so sure. Missing the target from the pen spot in a national cup semi-final is criminal. Suspect Craig Gordon spooked him.

bigwheel
01-11-2020, 07:05 AM
Cup Winning team would have walked into the final. They had a winning attitude, steely determination and some exceptional players. This current team can pretty pretty football but lack leadership, characters and true winners. I thought Nisbet might be a different and go much further in the game but now not so sure. Missing the target from the pen spot in a national cup semi-final is criminal. Suspect Craig Gordon spooked him.

Are you forgetting that the cup winning team narrowly squeezed through their semi final with an almost identical performance...underwhelming and missing a penalty against a Dundee Utd team that actually had better chances than yesterday with only a heroic goalkeeping performance saving us that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
01-11-2020, 07:26 AM
2016 side would comfortably beat this one, but that’s because they were a very good side, not cause this one is pish.

Blaster
01-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Need to remember the mess Ross is still picking up from the last manager and to some extent Lennon. We’re a reasonable side and the correct additions over the next two windows will make us better

Heisenberg
01-11-2020, 07:43 AM
Need to remember the mess Ross is still picking up from the last manager and to some extent Lennon. We’re a reasonable side and the correct additions over the next two windows will make us better

No that just won’t do at all. He must be instantly sacked so we can rebuild everything all over again.

Blaster
01-11-2020, 07:46 AM
No that just won’t do at all. He must be instantly sacked so we can rebuild everything all over again.

Oh yeah forgot about that.

Booked4Being-Ugly
01-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Lennon left a terrible legacy player-wise. There’s only Mallan and Rocky left from his signings that I can think of.

Stubbs left Lennon with - McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie, Bartley, Boyle, SDG, McGregor, Fontaine.

Hakim Sar
01-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Depends if the game was at Hampden. In which case Hibs would lose.

Blaster
01-11-2020, 08:11 AM
Lennon left a terrible legacy player-wise. There’s only Mallan and Rocky left from his signings that I can think of.

Stubbs left Lennon with - McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie, Bartley, Boyle, SDG, McGregor, Fontaine.

Yeah I agree. Our last 2 managers left Ross with a rebuilding job and he’s only part way there. I think he’ll have his proper squad after next summer transfer window

The Captain....
01-11-2020, 08:24 AM

So would I, if you go thru that team man for man I'd swap nearly every one other than Marciano I think. I don't think the current team has any leaders either and mentality wise isnt the strongest.

Brightside
01-11-2020, 08:25 AM
Marciano, struggling after that. Nisbet and Cummings are equal and Stubbs didn't favour the long ball so no need for Doidge

What a load of nonsense.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Can't beat a bit of revisionism! That team flopped much worse than yesterday only a week before the cup final - losing to Falkirk in the play-off. Many wanted Stubbs out, me included, after that failure. Read back the threads on here at that time if you can face it.

Barman Stanton
01-11-2020, 11:01 AM
I loved Stubbs side and would have loved to have him back. But let’s not pretend that team wasn’t also capable of losing like yesterday. Actually similar semi final to the United one, only we got the luck that day.

Huge difference between this team and Stubbs is McGinn though. No one in Scotland has a player as good as McGinn.

Steve20
01-11-2020, 11:12 AM
We’ve not. The 2016 team are legends. The team yesterday disgraced the club.

thegaffer12
01-11-2020, 11:20 AM
We've been very good this season, and our league place is testament to that. And that's why yesterday hurt so much more. Easy to forget how we'll we've done with our consistency when we lose one of our more important games.