PDA

View Full Version : Doidge

DownInAlbion
31-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Terrible result tonight but what a shift from the big man. :flag:

thegaffer12
31-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Can you imagine if that overhead kick had gone in?

Glory Lurker
31-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Agree.

DownInAlbion
31-10-2020, 06:57 PM

a yard off the history books 🙈

danhibees1875
31-10-2020, 06:59 PM

He done similar against Motherwell (?) a couple months back - it's the most un-doidge like move I can imagine. Would have been absolute sensation.

jeffers
31-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Thought he was honking the goal and that shot aside. Seems working hard is the main criteria though.

CapitalGreen
31-10-2020, 07:02 PM
His general play was woeful. Anytime he has time to think about what he wants to do he invariably takes the wrong option or fluffs the pass.

jeffers
31-10-2020, 07:04 PM
His general play was woeful. Anytime he has time to think about what he wants to do he invariably takes the wrong option or fluffs the pass.

Glad it’s not just me.

BILLYHIBS
31-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Did not realise he had that bicycle kick in his locker and he did what no other HIBS player managed to do tonight he put the ball in the net

You cannot afford to miss penalties at our level

Simples!

cabbage_88
31-10-2020, 07:10 PM

Completely agree, goal and overhead kick attempt aside, he was horrendous and has been for the majority of the season so far imo

7heaven
31-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Completely agree, goal and overhead kick attempt aside, he was horrendous and has been for the majority of the season so far imo

Scottish referees seem to have a vendetta against Doidge.
He works his socks off.
Think again mate.

Hiber-nation
31-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Great overhead kick, scored a goal. But still a disappointing performance for me.

cabbage_88
31-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Scottish referees seem to have a vendetta against Doidge.
He works his socks off.
Think again mate.

Thought he looked like he was towing a truck from 10 minutes in.

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 07:31 PM
thought he looked like he was towing a truck from 10 minutes in.ffs.

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Doidge is a terrible footballer whose goals last season gained him kudos his play wouldn’t.

Can’t argue with the goals and no-one can doubt his effort but sadly he is an awful footballer with the ball at his feet.

Crab apple
31-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Terrible result tonight but what a shift from the big man. :flag:

Although not great I thought he was one of our better performers tonight.

hibee_girl
31-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Doidge is a terrible footballer whose goals last season gained him kudos his play wouldn’t.

Can’t argue with the goals and no-one can doubt his effort but sadly he is an awful footballer with the ball at his feet.

A terrible footballer who scores lots of goals :faf:

gaz1875
31-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Haha hilarious comment.

jeffers
31-10-2020, 07:36 PM

Totally agree. We are forced into playing two strikers due to his lack of pace and poor play with the ball at his feet. Had a great chance to play Boyle in tonight and blew it.

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:39 PM
A terrible footballer who scores lots of goals :faf:

I did reference the goals but if you think there is a good footballer in Doidge you are beyond help.

He is slow as a week in jail, has the touch of an elephant and couldnt pass water

Feel free to demonstrate the inaccuracy of those last 3 points

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Haha hilarious comment.

You think he’s not

His effort is great but he is totally hopeless with the ball at his feet

The Harp Awakes
31-10-2020, 07:40 PM

Disagree. He's decent on the ground, very good in the air, scores goals and works his socks off. If the rest of the Hibs team had put in half the effort Doidge put in tonight, we would have won the game.

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 07:42 PM

Can’t argue with the goals and no-one can doubt his effort but sadly he is an awful footballer with the ball at his feet.We've now entered the twilight zone.

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Disagree. He's decent on the ground, very good in the air, scores goals and works his socks off. If the rest of the Hibs team had put in half the effort Doidge put in tonight, we would have won the game.

Wouldn’t disagree on points 2,3& 4 but he is no way decent on the ground.

I don’t hold him at all responsible for tonight but he is extremely limited

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Disagree. He's decent on the ground, very good in the air, scores goals and works his socks off. If the rest of the Hibs team had put in half the effort Doidge put in tonight, we would have won the game.He's not far off being my player of the season so far.

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:48 PM
He's not far off being my player of the season so far.

And in that one comment you demonstrate you know little about football.

Off the top of my head

Marciano

McGinn

Hanlon

Porteous

Gogic

Nisbet

All have immeasurably better claims to that accolade then Doidge

gaz1875
31-10-2020, 07:52 PM
You think he’s not

His effort is great but he is totally hopeless with the ball at his feet

His best attribute as posted on here after numerous matches is his holding up of the ball. You obviously see something else, maybe you are mixing him up with Porteous or Boyle?

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Off the top of my head

Marciano

McGinn

Hanlon

Porteous

Gogic

Nisbet

All have immeasurably better claims to that accolade then DoidgeAnd in that one comment you demonstrate incredible arrogance.

There's a thread on here saying that Gogic isn't very good.

Opinions eh...

The Harp Awakes
31-10-2020, 07:55 PM
He's not far off being my player of the season so far.

Agreed. Love the big guy. If Nsbet can learn to play off him better we'd score stacks more goals.

gaz1875
31-10-2020, 07:55 PM

Off the top of my head

Marciano

McGinn

Hanlon

Porteous

Gogic

Nisbet

All have immeasurably better claims to that accolade then Doidge

Seriously Porteous is on your list :confused: he's up there with the rest TBH

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 07:59 PM
His best attribute as posted on here after numerous matches is his holding up of the ball. You obviously see something else, maybe you are mixing him up with Porteous or Boyle?

I don’t hate Doidge

There are things he does well

His goals record although relatively poor this season is okay ish

No one can doubt he is a trier and puts a good shift in

He is good/decent in the air

But can’t pass water

I don’t believe I referenced his hold up play but I am not that impressed by it.

He fights his ground but balls break off him far too often for me

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 08:02 PM
We've now entered the twilight zone.

Pot Kettle Black?

Doidge is limited

Considering his player of the season so far is asinine and pure hyperbole on your part

I doubt very much even Mrs Doidge think that

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Asinine? Away and do one!

I consider Doidge as one of my players of the season so far.

Football fans have their own reasons for preferring certain players.

Maybe ours are different.

That doesn't give you the right to insult me.

BSEJVT
31-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Asinine? Away and do one!

I consider Doidge as one of my players of the season so far.

Football fans have their own reasons for preferring certain players.

Maybe ours are different.

That doesn't give you the right to insult me.

But conversely gives you the right to do just that

It is an absolute joke of an opinion and you haven’t enjoyed being called out on it

Get over it

Peevemor
31-10-2020, 08:14 PM
But conversely gives you the right to do just that

It is an absolute joke of an opinion and you haven’t enjoyed being called out on it

Get over itI stand by my opinion, it's your arrogance that I haven't enjoyed.

Centre Hawf
31-10-2020, 11:57 PM
Goal aside he was woeful. He’s a limited player who can be a nuisance at times. If we didn’t have such a small squad he wouldn’t be starting for me.

MikeyS
01-11-2020, 12:05 AM
I don’t hate Doidge

There are things he does well

His goals record although relatively poor this season is okay ish

No one can doubt he is a trier and puts a good shift in

He is good/decent in the air

But can’t pass water

I don’t believe I referenced his hold up play but I am not that impressed by it.

He fights his ground but balls break off him far too often for me

Totally agree, a touch like a bouncy castle and his heading is atrocious. Always wins the battle but it could end up anywhere! He holds the ball in very well against his chest but other than that he offers very little. Almost as bad as Gogic in the technical ability stakes!

davy67 +
01-11-2020, 07:04 AM
I don't think anyone could doubt his work rate , he puts in a great shift and draws defenders away to make spaces for others, but strikers are judged on goals and if they're not scoring they'll always be subject to criticism especially if the team loses . Can't just blame him for last nights defeat there were others who underperformed as well

danhibees1875
01-11-2020, 07:21 AM
I stand by my opinion, it's your arrogance that I haven't enjoyed.

I'm with you on that opinion. :agree:

Doidge plays a good game, his control and ability to bring others into the game as well as his movement off the ball are much better than you'd expect from someone who falls into more of the "big man" category. He does indeed work hard, although the way that's used you'd think it was a bad quality, and of course scores goals.

TheGreenMan
01-11-2020, 07:49 AM
Doidge is the least of our problems. His hold up play is miles better than we had in Kamberi before him. Huge improvement in competing for the ball when Kamberi used to just back in and absolutely nothing would stick.

Add to that, in pure numbers:

55 games 23 goals for Hibs. Doidge will do for me.

bigwheel
01-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Doidge is the least of our problems. His hold up play is miles better than we had in Kamberi before him. Huge improvement in competing for the ball when Kamberi used to just back in and absolutely nothing would stick.

This ..good analysis

Heisenberg
01-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Spot on.

hibee_girl
01-11-2020, 09:04 AM

Absolutely :agree:

Since452
01-11-2020, 09:05 AM
If it wasn't for Doidge they'd have beaten us in normal time. Slightly more embarrassing

wookie70
01-11-2020, 09:09 AM
He had a few great moments but was poor overall and not helped by a referee who seems incapable of letting a game flow and who seems to view fouls differently depending what colour you wear

Pretty Boy
01-11-2020, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't call Doidge a terrible footballer but his touch and decision making issues can be costly.

Twice against Killie last week a heavy touch and an inability to take the ball in stride saw breaks fizzle out. Last night we had a fantastic opportunity and a poor pass from Doidge saw the move break down. I'd put Boyle in the same bracket. Not by any means a bad player but repeating the same mistakes time after time.

Our inability to punish teams when we are in good positions is going to costs us this season. We dropped points at Ross County because of it, we lost last night because of it, we were less comfortable than we should have been last week because of it and we were punished against Celtic because of it.

Centre Hawf
01-11-2020, 02:29 PM

His record on paper looks great. But if you look deeper the guy is not doing it this season. At the moment he has about 4 goals in 16 games (although it could be 5 in 17 but I don't know what section last nights goal actually falls into when looking at his stats so far, but I think we can all agree it's a goal for this seasons tally). I'm not asking for the guy to be sitting on 10 goals already but he's no where near the form that seen the term "Doidgeball" get coined.

Until he scored last night it has felt like if we don't get Kevin Nisbet to score then its not coming from anyone else, including the other striker that plays every game. I want to see more from Doidge, pure and simple.

jeffers
01-11-2020, 04:13 PM
I think he’s getting an easier ride due to his goals from last season. Watching him this season he looks more like the huddy I originally thought he was. He scored a really good goal yesterday and the overhead kick was a great effort but that aside I thought he was poor and I rarely remember him winning a challenge in the air against Halkett. Add in his simple chance to play Boyle in.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2020, 04:20 PM
I think he’s getting an easier ride due to his goals from last season. Watching him this season he looks more like the huddy I originally thought he was. He scored a really good goal yesterday and the overhead kick was a great effort but that aside I thought he was poor and I rarely remember him winning a challenge in the air against Halkett. Add in his simple chance to play Boyle in.

When was the chance to play Boyle in? I’ve saw it mentioned a few times but have completely forgotten it. I remember Boyle making a mess of playing Nisbet in right on the edge of their box in the second half. I think we broke from a their corner but can’t recall the Doidge one.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2020, 04:24 PM
His record on paper looks great. But if you look deeper the guy is not doing it this season. At the moment he has about 4 goals in 16 games (although it could be 5 in 17 but I don't know what section last nights goal actually falls into when looking at his stats so far, but I think we can all agree it's a goal for this seasons tally). I'm not asking for the guy to be sitting on 10 goals already but he's no where near the form that seen the term "Doidgeball" get coined.

Until he scored last night it has felt like if we don't get Kevin Nisbet to score then its not coming from anyone else, including the other striker that plays every game. I want to see more from Doidge, pure and simple.

Agree with this. He’s not been enough of a goal threat this season. It’s a problem for most of our team though, there is no goal threat throughout the team. Newell has one, Gogic will never get one. Boyle is off form, Murphy needs to get fit. Zero from the fullbacks and little threat from centre halves at set pieces. Nisbet has an off night, like last night, we’re toiling.

Bostonhibby
01-11-2020, 04:27 PM

Doidge isn't a problem, he's an asset.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

jeffers
01-11-2020, 04:36 PM
When was the chance to play Boyle in? I’ve saw it mentioned a few times but have completely forgotten it. I remember Boyle making a mess of playing Nisbet in right on the edge of their box in the second half. I think we broke from a their corner but can’t recall the Doidge one.

I can’t remember when, not even if it was in 90 minutes or extra time, just the actual chance. Easy pass to make but hit it straight at their defender.

thegaffer12
01-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Hopefully that's his dry spell over at least

eastmainsmsh
01-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Like the big man if he could put all his game together he would get a move and Welsh caps

The 90+2
01-11-2020, 04:53 PM
He’s a good player, my only issue or real issue with him is we revert to hoofing it loads with him up top.

Alfred E Newman
01-11-2020, 05:23 PM
I can’t remember when, not even if it was in 90 minutes or extra time, just the actual chance. Easy pass to make but hit it straight at their defender.
It was a 3 v 2 on the edge of the box with Boyle on the overlap. He had the option of trying to catch Gordon out by hitting it early or slipping Boyle in for a 1 on 1. He did neither, hitting it tamely against the Hearts defender. Dreadful stuff.

Iggy Pope
01-11-2020, 05:40 PM

He failed to put Boyle in (or go himself) when Hibs were loaded up, hit the defender instead. They broke up the park right away and Boyce put it just past Marcianos right hand post. Awful stuff really, game should be over right there with Hibs well on top.

truehibernian
01-11-2020, 05:43 PM
Doidge has proved not only what a good player he is but how a player can fight his way back into the supporters minds by being gritty, hard working, unselfish and scoring goals. He's tireless in a game and that often goes unnoticed and unappreciated as strikers are solely judged on goals by many. Just wish a few more of our players had his desire and workrate :aok:

jeffers
01-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Doidge has proved not only what a good player he is but how a player can fight his way back into the supporters minds by being gritty, hard working, unselfish and scoring goals. He's tireless in a game and that often goes unnoticed and unappreciated as strikers are solely judged on goals by many. Just wish a few more of our players had his desire and workrate :aok:

I get what you are saying but not for me. He’s getting a lot of credit for working hard which is the minimum I expect from every player who pulls on a Hibs shirt, though granted it’s not something they all do. He’s far from the worst striker I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt but I’m not a fan.

truehibernian
01-11-2020, 06:01 PM
I get what you are saying but not for me. He’s getting a lot of credit for working hard which is the minimum I expect from every player who pulls on a Hibs shirt, though granted it’s not something they all do. He’s far from the worst striker I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt but I’m not a fan.

Totally agree about minimum standards, but Doidge plays to his strengths and has weighed in with important goals. Where he's limited on the deck, he makes up for with the physical aspect of his game and workrate. He's in my first eleven every day of the week.

jeffers
01-11-2020, 06:06 PM
Totally agree about minimum standards, but Doidge plays to his strengths and has weighed in with important goals. Where he's limited on the deck, he makes up for with the physical aspect of his game and workrate. He's in my first eleven every day of the week.

Again I get what you are saying but for me Nisbet is the better striker. Even JR admits we are giving up or at least putting pressure on the midfield by playing two up front. Until we get the midfield sorted I’d look to go Nisbet up front only against the better sides.

truehibernian
01-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Again I get what you are saying but for me Nisbet is the better striker. Even JR admits we are giving up or at least putting pressure on the midfield by playing two up front. Until we get the midfield sorted I’d look to go Nisbet up front only against the better sides.

I'd drop Boyle and play Murphy to be honest. MB has been abject the last few games. I'd play both KN and CD with Murphy free reign to switch flanks.

jeffers
01-11-2020, 06:13 PM
I'd drop Boyle and play Murphy to be honest. MB has been abject the last few games. I'd play both KN and CD with Murphy free reign to switch flanks.

Yes Boyle couldn’t argue if he was dropped. Although if we’d scored from the two great crosses he put in last night I’d probably be congratulating him.

Stevie Reid
01-11-2020, 06:17 PM
I really like Doidge, and think we’d be a lot worse off without him.

Bobby's Cinema
01-11-2020, 07:24 PM
I like him, no doubting his effort up there but we need more in all honesty.

His failure to find Boyle with the pass which almost resulted in Boyce punishing at the end was quite incredible. Typified our sloppyness and lack of clinical edge that has crept in about us in the final third in recent weeks.

Happy he got his goal and hope he goes on another run from here.

erin go bragh
01-11-2020, 09:05 PM
I like him, no doubting his effort up there but we need more in all honesty.

His failure to find Boyle with the pass which almost resulted in Boyce punishing at the end was quite incredible. Typified our sloppyness and lack of clinical edge that has crept in about us in the final third in recent weeks.

Happy he got his goal and hope he goes on another run from here.

Was it no Boyle who was short with the pass mate ..

jeffers
01-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Was it no Boyle who was short with the pass mate ..

That was a different chance, my recollection was Boyle had a chance to play in Nisbet and overhit it. Doidge had an easy pass to play in Boyle and hit it straight at a Hearts defender.

JimBHibees
02-11-2020, 06:09 AM
That was a different chance, my recollection was Boyle had a chance to play in Nisbet and overhit it. Doidge had an easy pass to play in Boyle and hit it straight at a Hearts defender.

Boyle also could have played in Nisbet in the first half near the halfway line but hit it off a Hearts player. He did do some decent things put two brilliant crosses in which Nisbet and Doidge should have scored and also picked out Murphy. Does seem reluctant to take a man on had a chance against Popescu who was already carded but pulled out possibly carrying an injury. Personally think Halliday might have walked for the knee high kick he was allowed to get away with. Boyle also missed a great chance when miscontrolling a superb Newell pass in the box when in loads of space.

jeffers
02-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Boyle also could have played in Nisbet in the first half near the halfway line but hit it off a Hearts player. He did do some decent things put two brilliant crosses in which Nisbet and Doidge should have scored and also picked out Murphy. Does seem reluctant to take a man on had a chance against Popescu who was already carded but pulled out possibly carrying an injury. Personally think Halliday might have walked for the knee high kick he was allowed to get away with. Boyle also missed a great chance when miscontrolling a superb Newell pass in the box when in loads of space.

A fair summation. Boyle is very frustrating just now and his decision making is really bad at times. I feel he’s regressed this season from the heights he’d achieved under Lennon.

MWHIBBIES
02-11-2020, 08:38 AM
A fair summation. Boyle is very frustrating just now and his decision making is really bad at times. I feel he’s regressed this season from the heights he’d achieved under Lennon.

Boyles best spell with Hibs was under Ross when he first came in. Doubles against Aberdeen and Hearts.

jeffers
02-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Boyles best spell with Hibs was under Ross when he first came in. Doubles against Aberdeen and Hearts.

I thought he reached a higher level under Lennon (not saying it was down to Lennon) and his overall game awareness and decision making was better, which he carried on into the start of Ross’ earlier games.

hibsmad
02-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Have to say that I find it quite funny when these sort of debates start between Hibs fans. Its okay to point out a players weaknesses. Almost every Hibs player will have elements of their game that are not going to be strong. If they didn't then they wouldn't be here.

Doidge has been a great signing. Scores lots of goals, holds the ball up, works non stop and is a constant nuisance for opposition defenders.

On the downside, he isn't great with the ball at his feet and breakaway moves can break down when he receives the ball and has space and time.

As always its down to the manager to determine whether the good outweighs the bad.

Hermit Crab
02-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Doidge misses far too many easy chances. Cove Rangers a prime example. He canny play a simple pass to put Boyle in on Saturday, gets caught offside a lot and his control is woeful. Can't fault his effort but Forest Green must have been laughing all the way to the bank when we came in for him.

easty
02-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Doidge misses far too many easy chances. Cove Rangers a prime example. He canny play a simple pass to put Boyle in on Saturday, gets caught offside a lot and his control is woeful. Can't fault his effort but Forest Green must have been laughing all the way to the bank when we came in for him.

And scored a good header and almost an overhead kick tae. Aye he’s brutal.

Magpie
02-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Only Edouard and Defoe scored more than him last season.

JimBHibees
02-11-2020, 10:44 AM

What about the goal he did score fantastic header

Peevemor
02-11-2020, 10:46 AM
And scored a good header and almost an overhead kick tae. Aye he’s brutal.

HC's last 3 posts (no stalking, just easy to spot on iSpy)

"We were shown up, dress it up how you want we were beaten by a team from a lower league..."

"Doidge misses far too many easy chances. Cove Rangers a prime example. He canny play a simple pass to put Boyle in on Saturday, gets caught offside a lot and his control is woeful..."

"Our record up there is absolutely abysmal...."

Forever our little ray of sunshine. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
02-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Only Edouard and Defoe scored more than him last season.

That was last season, this season he has been murder. You think he's been good enough this season?

Hermit Crab
02-11-2020, 11:02 AM

What about it? What about his shocking pass when we were 3 v 2.

jeffers
02-11-2020, 11:03 AM

It was and he’s rightly getting praise for it and his overhead kick, doesn’t mean a lot of what HC has said about him isn’t valid though.

JimBHibees
02-11-2020, 11:07 AM

It was a great header that's what. Thought he had one of his better games on Saturday and was also criminally robbed of a blatant penalty in injury time which Collum was petrified to give. He is a good foil for our other attacking players not perfect but good player for us.

JimBHibees
02-11-2020, 11:08 AM
It was and he’s rightly getting praise for it and his overhead kick, doesn’t mean a lot of what HC has said about him isn’t valid though.

Think he hasnt been great this season but thought he was better Saturday

Heisenberg
02-11-2020, 11:11 AM

If you are going to pick apart what he did wrong it’s only right to praise him for his great finish. That doesn’t seem to be something you do very often for any Hibs players right enough.

jeffers
02-11-2020, 11:12 AM
It was a great header that's what. Thought he had one of his better games on Saturday and was also criminally robbed of a blatant penalty in injury time which Collum was petrified to give. He is a good foil for our other attacking players not perfect but good player for us.

It’s always interesting how we as fans see things differently. I thought the two incidents I mentioned aside, he was poor on Saturday. His attempt to play Boyle in particularly was woeful. I thought the ball didn’t stick to him and he barely won an aerial duel with Halkett all night.

Callum_62
02-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Forest Green must have been laughing all the way to the bank when we came in for him.

How much did we pay for him?

3rd top scorer behind OF main men last yesr

I know who I think will be laughing and it's certainly not Forest Green

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
02-11-2020, 11:38 AM
That was last season, this season he has been murder. You think he's been good enough this season?

He’s not been brilliant but he’s been nowhere near as bad as you’d have us believe.

We need competition up there. Running with just the two strikers isn’t enough.

Magpie
02-11-2020, 01:41 PM

Wouldn’t say that he has performed up to standard he can, certainly don’t think he’s a bad player though.

We could easily have sold him for more than we paid for him this summer I reckon.

JimBHibees
02-11-2020, 02:12 PM
It’s always interesting how we as fans see things differently. I thought the two incidents I mentioned aside, he was poor on Saturday. His attempt to play Boyle in particularly was woeful. I thought the ball didn’t stick to him and he barely won an aerial duel with Halkett all night.

We do seem to have an issue with attacking decision making. Killie game and Saturday we had 3 on 2 or 3 on 3 and more times than not we fail to take advantage or at minimum get a shot on target. Hopefully something we are working on to improve.

jacomo
02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

That was just awful.