PDA

View Full Version : Nobby Stiles

Tom Hart RIP
30-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Sad to hear that Nobby has passed away.
I remember seeing him play for Middlesbrough in the infamous Bertie Auld game which was Eddie Turnbull's first match in charge.
I read his book a few years back and sadly he almost took his own life due to money problems after he retired.

Iggy Pope
30-10-2020, 06:00 PM
I heard Nobby speak at a dinner at Hibs a few years back, one of Peter Cormack's events. Tommy Smith spoke as well and the two of them were brilliant without having Lamborghinis waiting outside for them, more like someone waiting to bid for their medals. A golden age for football probably the final one as we knew it.

I was at that Middlesbrough game too as an 8 year old. Hearing Nobby Stiles talk about it years later was a thrill and he was just a bloke then entering his autumn years, having a good time in his best suit.

R.I.P. Nobby.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2020, 06:17 PM
I remember attending an event a few years back that Jonny Giles (Stiles brother in law) spoke at. He said Stiles performance in the 66 semi final in which he nulified Eusebio was the performance of the tournament. He went on to say that anyone who thought Claude Makalele was the protype for a footballing defensive midfield was about 4 decades too late.

A guy who lived the dream. Played for his local team and won the biggest prizes the game has to offer.

RIP.

jacomo
30-10-2020, 06:21 PM
Just listening to a tribute to him on 5 live. He sounds like a really genuine, down to earth guy.

Had to sell his medals a few years ago to make ends meet. You’d have thought maybe one of today’s uber wealthy England footballers might have helped him there.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Just listening to a tribute to him on 5 live. He sounds like a really genuine, down to earth guy.

Had to sell his medals a few years ago to make ends meet. You’d have thought maybe one of today’s uber wealthy England footballers might have helped him there.

I think Man Utd stepped in and bought his World Cup and European Cup medals and it was agreed they would display them in the club museum.

HoboHarry
30-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Very sad and I hadn't realised that Martin Peters was gone too......

Lago
30-10-2020, 07:16 PM
I remember attending an event a few years back that Jonny Giles (Stiles brother in law) spoke at. He said Stiles performance in the 66 semi final in which he nulified Eusebio was the performance of the tournament. He went on to say that anyone who thought Claude Makalele was the protype for a footballing defensive midfield was about 4 decades too late.

A guy who lived the dream. Played for his local team and won the biggest prizes the game has to offer.

RIP.
Your right on all counts, a player of my era, a gem of a man, a gem of a player, vastly under rated.

EI255
30-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Very sad when anyone passes.

RIP son.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
30-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Very sad and I hadn't realised that Martin Peters was gone too......

Add some of those iconic stalwarts that Leeds lost this year like Hunter, Charlton, Cherry, Madeley. It’s a passing of an era and we’ve lost a couple ourselves.

Hillsidehibby
30-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Nice words guys. They used to say Archie Gemmil was too wee for football. Nobby was a wee powerhouse. Sadly we will never see a small footballer ever again

jgl07
30-10-2020, 11:42 PM
I recall a lot of matches played by Norbert Styles.

That includes (live) England v Portugal in the the World Cup
SF in 1966. Also I was at the United v Benfica European Cup Final in 1968. OK I admit that I obtained my ticket from Benfica as a Manchester City fan.

He was a whole hearted professional who most supporters would be delighted to play for your team but who you would have hated playing for a rival.

He was a fighter and a battler. He had few skills but exploited them to the full.

RIP Nobby.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-10-2020, 12:19 AM
Nowadays I would wonder if a player who is only 5ft 7 would get a chance.

MagicSwirlingShip
31-10-2020, 12:46 AM
Nowadays I would wonder if a player who is only 5ft 7 would get a chance.

Messi - 5ft 7
Modric - 5ft 8
Ribery - 5ft 7
Xavi - 5ft 7
David Silva - 5ft 8
Sergio Aguero - 5ft 8

Plenty hope for the wee men out there in that list

EdinMike
31-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Messi - 5ft 7
Modric - 5ft 8
Ribery - 5ft 7
Xavi - 5ft 7
David Silva - 5ft 8
Sergio Aguero - 5ft 8

Plenty hope for the wee men out there in that list

Lewis Stevenson is 5ft 7 as well

PeeJay
31-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Sad to hear of the passing of yet another of the England 66 world cup winning team - think I heard that seven have now left us? Nobby Stiles was never the finest of players, but he was a vital part of England's and United's successful teams. By all accounts a decent guy who sadly had some troubled times and a long illness to contend with ...