PDA

View Full Version : The Anxiety Involved With Hibs On The Telly

Iggy Pope
25-10-2020, 11:07 AM
At the start of all this, I didn’t know how I was going to get through watching Hibs on the telly. I posted on an earlier thread that I do not know how the overseas subscribers manage it.
Sounds a daft thing to say but when attending the game I somehow believe I have a bearing on it, just being there is a contribution. Like I said, daft.
Watching streams and live telly takes that imaginary control away though and I get awful tense, irritable and become much more animated than I ever do watching a game in person.
In saying that, I’m getting accustomed to it, feet up and gradually it’s got easier the more I (we) have all been subjected to it.

Now we’ve got the semi coming up though and I know that anxiety will return. I’ve had to watch derbies on the TV before and hated it, but never a game like this.

S4uzee
25-10-2020, 11:13 AM
At the start of all this, I didn’t know how I was going to get through watching Hibs on the telly. I posted on an earlier thread that I do not know how the overseas subscribers manage it.
Sounds a daft thing to say but when attending the game I somehow believe I have a bearing on it, just being there is a contribution. Like I said, daft.
Watching streams and live telly takes that imaginary control away though and I get awful tense, irritable and become much more animated than I ever do watching a game in person.
In saying that, I’m getting accustomed to it, feet up and gradually it’s got easier the more I (we) have all been subjected to it.

Now we’ve got the semi coming up though and I know that anxiety will return. I’ve had to watch derbies on the TV before and hated it, but never a game like this.

I’m similar, don’t like watching us on the tele.

Next week is a funny one, lose and you’re glad we’ve not had a disappointing trip though, win and we’re delighted but slightly gutted we’ve missed it

Since452
25-10-2020, 11:15 AM
When I was a nipper I remember listening to live commentary of Hibs games on the radio. Think it's why I jump at loud noises all the time now. Made me a nervous wreck.

hibee-boys
25-10-2020, 11:15 AM

I've found being able to watch most of the games a big relief....listening to Hibs games on the radio though!🙈

vercol36
25-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Having been overseas for a number of years, I get the sense of control when I'm watching the telly, but lose it completely when I'm having to follow the game using BBC live text!!

aljo7-0
25-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Fully agree. when I've not been able to get to a game before but know it is on TV I've made all sorts of arrangements to get to watch it but have then really struggled to sit and watch it - !'m so anxious and have never really enjoyed it. Never going to admit that to my wife but many timers I'd rather not have seen it and just caught the result.

However with no choice now I'm really quite enjoying watch from home. We are getting results which helps I guess. I am much less nervous about us conceding a goal (again probably more to do with how we are playing) but I suspect, bit like the team I am not getting caught up in the wave of nervous anxiety that washes down from the stands at times

Having sad all that a Cup Semi against them is not something I expect to sit and watch comfortably and would so so much rather being there but what can you do?

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Not great with IT

I get stressed worrying if my PPV stream is going to work ok I always seem to have an issue

Yesterday it would not accept my user name and password but I just kept entering it and eventually it came up

Much prefer when it is on terrestrial or cable

No buffering or faffing about

Victor Meldrew

Peevemor
25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
I think that for the majority of overseas viewers (like myself) we're just delighted to be able to watch at all.

When I moved to France 16 years ago there was nothing like the same access to live matches as there is now so I honestly count myself lucky to get what's currently available.

Hiber-nation
25-10-2020, 11:32 AM

I am exactly the same S, it's torture and I've been told that I'm watching the semi in the spare room.

G B Young
25-10-2020, 11:40 AM
I am exactly the same S, it's torture and I've been told that I'm watching the semi in the spare room.

The older I get the more I find watching games on TV or, worse, listening to radio commentary, almost intolerable. Most often these days I just wait and check the full time score. It's strange because I'd have thought getting older would make you less uptight about such things.

I won't be watching the derby. Not because I don't think we'll win but because I know I'll be too tense to do so.

Diclonius
25-10-2020, 12:02 PM
I'm fairly relaxed when Hibs are on TV as I feel as though I'm detached from the game. Winning is less enjoyable and losing is less painful. If we're getting pumped I can just switch the TV off whereas I've never left a live game before injury time (with one exception) due to a sort of sense of duty to see the result out.

There's one exception, though - Edinburgh derbies.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-10-2020, 12:07 PM

I often got sent to the spare room with a semi 🥴

jacomo
25-10-2020, 12:42 PM
I feel the opposite.

I am much more emotionally invested in a match I attend in person, which accentuates both the highs and the lows.

Next level down is watching the game in a pub or any kind of group, where you create your own atmosphere.

Watching Hibs on TV is welcome in these times, but I’m just not as involved. Yesterday’s match was on while I was doing some sorting and a couple of jobs round the house.

NthCarolinaHibs
25-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Any date been given for our game against St Johnstone,that was scheduled for this Saturday..

Keith_M
25-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Why is it that one of the best runs of results we've had in my lifetime (All Comps - W-10, D3, L-2), I've not been able to attend a single game?

That makes it even worse for me.

Hiber-nation
25-10-2020, 01:21 PM

😂👍😂

jacomo
25-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Hard luck story if ever I heard one.

BSEJVT
25-10-2020, 03:37 PM
I will treat it exactly as I used treat Dr Who and the Daleks when I was a wee boy.

The minute the theme music comes on I will hide behind the settee until the end credits have rolled.

I will then spend the next 10 minutes asking everyone what happened

Hiber-nation
25-10-2020, 04:22 PM
I will treat it exactly as I used treat Dr Who and the Daleks when I was a wee boy.

The minute the theme music comes on I will hide behind the settee until the end credits have rolled.

You have a job to do G in keeping my laddie under control :greengrin

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 04:27 PM
I feel the opposite.

I am much more emotionally invested in a match I attend in person, which accentuates both the highs and the lows.

Next level down is watching the game in a pub or any kind of group, where you create your own atmosphere.

Watching Hibs on TV is welcome in these times, but I’m just not as involved. Yesterday’s match was on while I was doing some sorting and a couple of jobs round the house.

Know what you mean. It feels totally different. It’s not that I feel more anxious, I just don’t like it as much. Also, you’re doing well to get through a game without some kind of interruption to the stream which is particularly annoying.

NAE NOOKIE
25-10-2020, 05:03 PM
I'm a nervous wreck watching the games on telly, it's far worse than being at the game. I've discovered that if I watch it without commentary for some reason I cope much better :greengrin

Because I'm either at the game or watching in the pub or a mates house who has sports channels I don't think I've ever watched a derby match in my own house. I've been trying to warn my partner what it's going to be like and will continue to do so all week, but I just don't think I can prepare her properly ... she thinks I go over the top watching Hibs in a normal game on TV

The poor woman :confused:

Halmyre Hibee
25-10-2020, 05:18 PM

That’s exactly what I did when I was a wee boy **** scared of that music. Went to London in the 60’s and there was a Dr Who & Daleks exhibition possibly at Madame Tussaud’s and was never scared again as they were only pimped up dustbins 😂

aljo7-0
25-10-2020, 05:18 PM
I have been watching the games on my laptop with headphones. Scared the bejesus out of the kids a few times screaming when we have scored - with them having no warning. I've warned them for Saturday!

Sean1875
25-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Nerves are already kicking in for next week. Going to be a long week at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
25-10-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm going to be watching the Derby alone in my house. I don't think that's ever happened before.

BSEJVT
25-10-2020, 06:31 PM
You have a job to do G in keeping my laddie under control :greengrin

He is a prince amongst men J

BSEJVT
25-10-2020, 06:32 PM
That’s exactly what I did when I was a wee boy **** scared of that music. Went to London in the 60’s and there was a Dr Who & Daleks exhibition possibly at Madame Tussaud’s and was never scared again as they were only pimped up dustbins 😂

I really wish you had told me that 50 years ago :-)

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2020, 06:53 PM
I get sooooo nervous late on in games we are winning. I tend to go out the room for a few minutes and walk round the house thinking the minutes will go quicker and the game will end if I don't look at the telly. 😂

matty_f
25-10-2020, 07:56 PM
I get sooooo nervous late on in games we are winning. I tend to go out the room for a few minutes and walk round the house thinking the minutes will go quicker and the game will end if I don't look at the telly. 😂

Sounds familiar. :agree:

Much better being at the game, definitely.

Bishop Hibee
25-10-2020, 09:49 PM
First semi final I’ll have missed since 1980. Not looking forward to watching on TV at home but I’ll still be celebrating big style if we win.

25-10-2020, 10:17 PM
The only game I have not been at home or away in the 00s was the last minute Gary O goal think it was 2009. I ain’t looking forward to watching on TV and feel far more relaxed live. Probably watch it from behind the sofa.

MWHIBBIES
26-10-2020, 06:12 AM
Always struggled to watch Hibs on Tele. I'm not alone in my group either. Something about being together with many others feeling the same way definitely makes things easier. Next week will be a tough watch.

Broken Gnome
26-10-2020, 06:49 AM

Same, especially at the moment when we're not exactly crusing games late on.

Radio's worse, was driving on Saturday and had to turn it off with 25 left. Think it's the nerves of having something to hold on to and potentially losing it, and not having the normal vocal behaviour of being at a game to deal with the emotions of it.

danhibees1875
26-10-2020, 06:55 AM
I feel the opposite.

:agree:

I've found watching on the TV to be quite stale and unenjoyable really. I don't think next weekend will have that problem but on the whole I'm no where near as nervous as I would be in normal times.

PatHead
26-10-2020, 07:09 AM
My daughter and her useless **** of a Jambo ******* partnerare staying with us. Really not looking forward to next weekend as we have everything to lose. After all we are playing a mid table lower league side.

Don't know how I will get through the weekend if the unthinkable happens. Will anyone else be watching it with one of them?

What is the sentence for pre-meditated murder these days and should I do it before or after the game?

Keith_M
26-10-2020, 07:41 AM
My daughter and her useless **** of a Jambo ******* partnerare staying with us. Really not looking forward to next weekend as we have everything to lose. After all we are playing a mid table lower league side.

Don't know how I will get through the weekend if the unthinkable happens. Will anyone else be watching it with one of them?

What is the sentence for pre-meditated murder these days and should I do it before or after the game?

It would only be pre-meditated if you did it before the game.

If we lose, he starts taking the p1ss and you then murder him, that would be in the heat of the moment and the extenuating circumstances would be taken into account.

...from Big K, Bar-L

danhibees1875
26-10-2020, 07:47 AM
It would only be pre-meditated if you did it before the game.

If we lose, he starts taking the p1ss and you then murder him, that would be in the heat of the moment and the extenuating circumstances would be taken into account.

...from Big K, Bar-L

Maybe not if he's posted about doing it in the build up to the game. :greengrin

Since452
26-10-2020, 07:48 AM
I'll struggle to even watch the game on Saturday. Bag of nerves already and only Monday. Might do something else and fleetingly check the score.

Keith_M
26-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Maybe not if he's posted about doing it in the build up to the game. :greengrin

Perhaps, but I'm sure he could make it look like an accident... if he really tried.

"I'll forgive all your cheek if you clean the windaes now. "

"...Oh dear, who spilt butter all over the windae ledge."

:wink:

147lothian
26-10-2020, 08:17 AM
On Friday night I must have been thinking about the game so much that I had a strange dream, I wasn't even at the game in my dream, I was in the Hibs club before the game having a pint and banter with the guys I only see on match days, guys who like me are getting away from the partners for a while and talking about something we all have in common.

It was a strange feeling wakening up and realizing that I wasn't really in the Hibs club before the game that it was just a dream, disappointing, but that is what I am looking forward to most not just seeing the game but meeting up with the guys that I see on match days.

During the game I was so frustrated the buffering on the service was so bad during the first half that I felt like walking away from the screen, then during the second half the service was better, but watching a match that had so much importance being played in an empty stadium felt surreal. I don't think I'll ever get used to watching matches like this, football without fan's is pretty meaningless IMO

FilipinoHibs
26-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Been living away from Edinburgh for 5 years with occasional trip home. So been a Hibs TV international subscriber for over 5 years.
It has been a nerve wracking experience often watching from under the sheets - we are 7/8 hours ahead. Derbies are bad but the most nerve racking was cup semi versus Dundee U. At full time I could not watch anymore. Went to the corner pub to listen to a live band. Watched the score and penalty shoot out through a text feed and got throughly blutered.

The 2-2 at Tynie. I put my pajamas on when we went 2-0 down. At 2-1 I got a text from a friend: "Yaaas". Knew what was coming. Put clothes back on and off to the pub again.

This Saturday game kicks off at 1am here. So another viewing under the sheets😳.

Carheenlea
26-10-2020, 11:20 AM
It’s going to be strange viewing a semi final and a derby from a deserted Hampden this Saturday. Not really given the game much thought, but had we been going the travel plans will have been made, the meet up with friends arranged and generally will already be excited about the occasion and counting the days and hours before the big day.
Instead, it will be tuning in 5 minutes before kick off and probably open a beer, but right now it’s hard to get too worked up about it. Sure that will change as the game kicks off but so far I’ve not got into too much stress viewing on TV. Actually fell asleep for 10 minutes during an earlier game broadcast on Hibs pass which has never happened at a live game (yet). Can’t see a repeat of that though on Saturday.

Latapy'sVolley
26-10-2020, 11:43 AM
It's nuts that, considering his record so far, Jack Ross still hasn't had the full Sunshine on Leith treatment. Saturday could've been that day :I'm waiti.

Keith_M
26-10-2020, 11:54 AM
It's nuts that, considering his record so far, Jack Ross still hasn't had the full Sunshine on Leith treatment. Saturday could've been that day :I'm waiti.

If we win on Saturday, I'll be standing outside Hampden singing SoL (on my own) at the end of the game.

Vault Boy
26-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Well, this weekend is sure to be anxiety inducing... 🙃

I'm unfortunately used to watching Hibs on TV/live streams, so I'd say I find it more nerve racking going through to the game. I always feel like a lot is riding on it because it's not often I get to see us in person, making the result all that much more important to me.

During lockdown I got a call from Darren McGregor, which he ended by saying he'd like to get me up to the semi final and put a face to the name. What I'd give to be at Hampden next weekend, getting the VIP treatment from Daz. Instead I'll be in my wee gaff, shouting at a TV like a lunatic, whilst my girlfriend looks on bemused.

Ah well, such is life. 😭

Tambo
26-10-2020, 02:33 PM
It's just not the same, even when we score I don't celebrate like I would at Easter Road but that will change Saturday.

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 02:37 PM
It's just not the same, even when we score I don't celebrate like I would at Easter Road but that will change Saturday.

Do you not even go under the stairs for a singsong at half time?

blackpoolhibs
26-10-2020, 03:31 PM
One thing that is much better :greengrin when viewing at home, you can abuse the opposition much worse than you ever could sitting in the stadium.

To be fair, that's only happened when we played the huns, and i'd have been given many life bans for things i shouted at the telly that game.:lolrangers:

I feel Saturday's game may top that a few times over. :jamboclow

hibbie02
26-10-2020, 04:11 PM
I hate watching Hibs on TV, but after over 30 years in Engurlund, I don't get to go to games that often. I end up tense and over Stella'd. If things are going well it is fine, but I've seen so many crap or close games, I had to find a coping therapy.

It is the same one I use when Engurlund are in the later stages of tournaments. I go hide in the loo and sure enough, when I come out England have lost or Hibs have won.

I even had my wedding reception on May 21 2016.....

This time I am in Lanzarote and hoping not to find anywhere showing the game. Should be an easy win for the Hibs then!!!

jacomo
26-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Do you not even go under the stairs for a singsong at half time?

Sneak into the toilet for a crafty half time gasper.

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Sneak into the toilet for a crafty half time gasper.I don't smoke in the house so I used to nip outside for a fag or two at half time (I managed to stop smoking almost a year ago).

The Harp
26-10-2020, 04:47 PM
I'll struggle to even watch the game on Saturday. Bag of nerves already and only Monday. Might do something else and fleetingly check the score.

I never handle watching Hibs on tv, well. I'll spend more time pacing up and down the floor, yelling at the tele, willing us to keep them out, than sitting doon.
Can't even contemplate losing this one.

hibbydog
26-10-2020, 05:59 PM
Ach, Hibs on telly leaves me feeling a bit cold. You can never beat the experience of excitement of being at a game. There’s little or no connection to the players and other supporters when your watching on telly.

And behind closed doors games make it even worse

Even if we cuff them on Saturday, I will probably feel a bit cheated that we didn’t get the chance to lord it over them.

Ach weel

Irish_Steve
26-10-2020, 06:06 PM
I'm that bad, if I'm watching a stream, I'll end up watching the "in-play" page of a bookies site as the stream will be a minute behind the bookies

Jones28
26-10-2020, 06:28 PM
I can’t stand derbies on the telly. At least at the game you can share your angst with other folk.

My 18 month old daughter and wife just don’t share it.

SonOfDavidFrancey
26-10-2020, 06:36 PM
finding this thread strangely comforting. I find watching Hibs on TV painful; i watch lots of football and enjoy watching almost any other team. Somehow watching Hibs is too tense.