PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

alihibs1
24-10-2020, 04:20 PM
What a player. Technically fantastic and has a bit of bite about him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
24-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Sexual footballer. :agree:

darwenhibby
24-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Brilliant today

one day maybe...
24-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Hopefully a big player for us next week. I’m hoping Gogic doesn’t get caught dwelling in the ball in the middle of the park next week. Win it move it on big man, that’s all you have to do..

lord bunberry
24-10-2020, 04:23 PM
He was excellent, I thought he linked well with Mallan in the middle on a pitch that pretty much stops any football being played.

HH81
24-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Class today. Let's hope he is next week too.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Just over 2 months and he can speak to other clubs and leave for free. Need to be proactive or its another midfield rebuild next summer.

HibbyAndy
24-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Superb player

Sioux
24-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Just over 2 months and he can speak to other clubs and leave for free. Need to be proactive or its another midfield rebuild next summer.

Yip. I'm sure the staff at ER are totally unaware and sitting on their hands doing nothing right enough. Is there anything of relevance that you want to criticise?

hibbysam
24-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Our most important player. Makes us tick. First half hour was probably his worst in regards to pass completion this season, but kept getting on it and kept it moving, then goes through the gears. Would’ve been a goal of the season contender had his, or Hallberg’s gone in.

Bobby's Cinema
24-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Great performance today, enjoyed watching him :aok:

Sean1875
24-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Struggling to think of a player that’s turned it around as much as Joe Newell has in terms of first impressions after arriving at the club. Absolutely fantastic player, just need to hope we can get a contract extension agreed.

Since452
24-10-2020, 04:31 PM
New contract please

Crab apple
24-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Very assured performance especially in the second half.

Vault Boy
24-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Hopefully he wants to stay, because he's turned out to be an absolutely integral part of the team, very classy player.

Stuart93
24-10-2020, 04:34 PM
One of our best players on his game

Hibs4185
24-10-2020, 04:44 PM
I’ve never been his biggest fan but I watched the second half today and he was easily our best player.

Few silky skills and beat a few men.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Yip. I'm sure the staff at ER are totally unaware and sitting on their hands doing nothing right enough. Is there anything of relevance that you want to criticise?

I just pointed it out, mate. Many times before we have let quality players get to close to the end of their deals. Hopefully we can get on top of this one as he is quality. No need for the ****ty reply.

bingo70
24-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Not always been a big fan of his but thought he was excellent today.

jeffers
24-10-2020, 04:54 PM
I’ve never been his biggest fan but I watched the second half today and he was easily our best player.

Same with me, my issue with him this season was consistency but he’s now showing that too. Wasn’t too fussed before but I’d like to see him sign an extension.

Alex Trager
24-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Haha calm doon mate.

Alex Trager
24-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Struggling to think of a player that’s turned it around as much as Joe Newell has in terms of first impressions after arriving at the club. Absolutely fantastic player, just need to hope we can get a contract extension agreed.

Doidge?

Green-Hibee-7
24-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Guy made a valid and reasonable post. Did not even sense a hint of criticism in the post.

Since90+2
24-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Guy made a valid and reasonable post. Did not even sense a hint of criticism in the post.

Agreed. Seems the poster he quoted is being needlessly hounded now.

Billy Whizz
24-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Think Jack has asked him to sign a contract, so it seems he’s been offered one

Onceinawhile
24-10-2020, 05:55 PM
He's a lot better now than he was last season, that's for sure.

B.H.F.C
24-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Became an important player. If he could just add that wee bit in the final third, it’s the difference between being good and very good.

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Newell was class today

Dazzjw1875
24-10-2020, 06:25 PM
100% needs ties down to a new long term deal

Northernhibee
24-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Christian Doidge as well, he looked an absolute huddy for a while but again won everything in the air today and unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

villahibs
24-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Offt... strange reply to a factually relevant post.

Gloucester Hibs
24-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Superb today, never set a foot wrong. Probably the only player that didn’t seem to struggle with the surface at some point.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-10-2020, 06:54 PM
Glided across the pitch today. A lovely footballer when he’s on song.

matty_f
24-10-2020, 06:56 PM
There’s an article in The Athletic with an interview with Porteous, and one quote from him about the standard of training under Jack Ross, was that Newell of the best trainer and is on it every day.

You can see that in Newell’s performances now, he’s been terrific.

B.H.F.C
24-10-2020, 06:57 PM

Agree about the second half. Was very, very good in the last 20 minutes. Could have about seen the game out himself.

whiskyhibby
24-10-2020, 07:26 PM
He had a fantastic game today.......3y deal please 👍

rotherhamrob
24-10-2020, 07:34 PM
I think he turned his clock back last night, vision ,awareness, time.
Streets ahead of anyone on the pitch today.

whiskyhibby
24-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Fantastic player

Since452
24-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Mind blowing Hecky played him as a winger even though he said he didn't see himself as a winger

Souter96Mac
24-10-2020, 07:55 PM
He's been excellent all season imo, but I wonder if the signing of Magennis has really spurred him on to show what he can do in that midfield.

Maybe all the fan fare about KM, and the long term nature of the deal has made Joe want to show the club how much of a valuable player he is

Blaster
24-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Excellent today. Nice and calm in possession and driving us forward 👍

Smartie
24-10-2020, 08:39 PM
There’s an article in The Athletic with an interview with Porteous, and one quote from him about the standard of training under Jack Ross, was that Newell of the best trainer and is on it every day.

I remember a player making the point about Newell in training quite early last season. At that point he was a bit of a joke figure and it was interesting to hear someone (iirc someone who would have the respect of the fans) saying they just couldn’t get the ball off him.

He was superb today and is one of our most important players. When he plays well we tend to pick up results. Hearts will boot the absolute F*** out of him for the first 20 minutes or so next week.

neil7908
24-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Need to get him tied down on a new deal stat

Hibee Mac
24-10-2020, 09:56 PM
He's one of the few players we have in our side who will take the ball under pressure, keep it and then try to drive forward with it to make something happen.

Far too many players these days seem content to receive the ball, take one or two touches whilst remaining static and then picking a sideways pass. 11 of them in a side and you're screwed.

Newell has really grown on me over the last year, when he plays well we tend to get results. Good player and seems a real genuine lad, hopefully we get him tied down for longer!

Iggy Pope
24-10-2020, 10:01 PM
He is a tidy footballer and reminds me very much of Ally McLeod. Slimmer but seems to have the same nous. I like him and opponents seem to dislike him which is a good thing.

Iggy Pope
24-10-2020, 10:03 PM

What’s The Athletic?

Hibs90
25-10-2020, 12:32 AM
I've given him a fair bit of stick on here in the past and at times it has felt justified but he's clearly a very gifted footballer when he's on it. If he played at the top of his game every week he probably would stil be doen south.

It's the consistency that lets him down usually but for the most part this season he's had more good games than bad. I'd like to see him notch a few more goals too.

SMAXXA
25-10-2020, 01:36 AM
Guys been class credit where it’s due even from those fans who made their mind up nearly doors and still say I’m no convinced.

For me the manager nailed it he needs to keep on at him to deliver the consistency we need, yet another example of having a manager who actually sees what most fans do

matty_f
25-10-2020, 02:11 AM
What’s The Athletic?

It’s an online football magazine. You need a subscription for it but the articles are very good.

davy67 +
25-10-2020, 05:57 AM
Yesterday is probably the best game I've seen play for us , hopefully moves will be going on behind the scenes to get him tied down on a new deal . I'd hate to see him leave for free especially if he was to go to one of our rivals

18Craig75
25-10-2020, 06:52 AM
After our Ibrox embarrassment last year I honestly thought he would never make it with us and was an awful signing.

Huge credit to him for turning it around. And to Jack Ross for giving him half a chance to show his best football.

Just another example of how utterly clueless Hecky was.

Brightside
25-10-2020, 07:06 AM
He’s an excellent player and one I hope we get on another deal. He won’t also be as good as yesterday but I’ve no problem with that. A very good footballer and exactly the level of player we need.

superfurryhibby
25-10-2020, 07:08 AM
The guy has really turned his Hibs career around. I have had my doubts about him, but playing in a much more balanced midfield has really helped him shine. He’s got to be signed up on a long term deal, having become a pivotal figure in the side.

Iggy Pope
25-10-2020, 07:49 AM
It’s an online football magazine. You need a subscription for it but the articles are very good.

👍

Greenbeard
25-10-2020, 08:07 AM

To look back and think that after a few months at the club so many, including yours truly, filed him alongside Vela and James as another anonymous lower league non-entity. Now his improvement seems to be exponential each week!

Keith_M
25-10-2020, 08:24 AM
Seeing as Newell has had such a turnaround in performances and won over so many doubters, what's the chances Hallberg might do the same?

MWHIBBIES
25-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Seeing as Newell has had such a turnaround in performances and won over so many doubters, what's the chances Hallberg might do the same?

The thing is, Newall was judged immediately, on about 3 games, as being gash. He actually was never anywhere near as bad as folk said. He actually had some decent games under Hecky. Hallberg has actually played more games than Newall and has shown much less.

dchibs
25-10-2020, 08:34 AM
Superb today, never set a foot wrong. Probably the only player that didn’t seem to struggle with the surface at some point.

Im sure when he first came to us under PH he got a MoM plying on a plastic pitch, cant remember what game though perhaps somebody on here can remember.

Michael
25-10-2020, 08:36 AM
The thing is, Newall was judged immediately, on about 3 games, as being gash. He actually was never anywhere near as bad as folk said. He actually had some decent games under Hecky. Hallberg has actually played more games than Newall and has shown much less.

Yeah I agree, Hallberg would have done something by now if he was going to be any good.

The Modfather
25-10-2020, 08:39 AM

I’d say none unfortunately. He’s has had more than enough time and opportunities to work his way into the team but hasn’t taken any of those chances.

On Newell, he’s definitely changed my opinion and an important player now. Although I do think he needs to do more without the ball as we still don’t dominate the midfield as much as we should IMO, but we’re also still searching for that 3rd midfielder to compliment him & Gogic.

Since452
25-10-2020, 08:39 AM

Hallberg is what he is. He's never going to be first choice but we'll need him throughout the season. We need players like him in the squad.

oneone73
25-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Hallberg is what he is. He's never going to be first choice but we'll need him throughout the season. We need players like him in the squad.

Agreed. Thought he was decent off the bench yesterday

hibsbollah
25-10-2020, 08:45 AM
I liked Newell from day one. I also think that he’s become more consistent when he’s had Gogic behind him to do the dirty work.

Aldo
25-10-2020, 08:47 AM
Before his injury at Killie last season I thought he had found his position at LB/LWB however it shows we he doesn’t play how much we actually miss him.

Gogic is the perfect foil for him.
Hopefully turns on a show next weekend!

hibsbollah
25-10-2020, 08:48 AM

The Athletic seem to be hoovering up all the best sports writers, not sure if I like the way they are putting all this content I want to read behind a paywall. I suppose it’s the way it is these days :dunno:

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-10-2020, 08:49 AM
I liked Newell from day one. I also think that he’s become more consistent when he’s had Gogic behind him to do the dirty work.

Puts me in mind of Miller and McBride

neil7908
25-10-2020, 08:50 AM

This 100%. For some there is no middle ground. A player is either an imposter who needs emptied or brilliant.

We need guys like Hallberg. I think he's a decent player and whilst he's not as good as Newell or Gogic, he's more than adequate cover.

hibbysam
25-10-2020, 08:53 AM
I’d say none unfortunately. He’s has had more than enough time and opportunities to work his way into the team but hasn’t taken any of those chances.

On Newell, he’s definitely changed my opinion and an important player now. Although I do think he needs to do more without the ball as we still don’t dominate the midfield as much as we should IMO, but we’re also still searching for that 3rd midfielder to compliment him & Gogic.

We don’t dominate the midfield because we either give up a man when we go 442 (one of which is Gogic), and when we go with a three we have one player well up the park, Gogic who struggles with the ball and Newell.

oneone73
25-10-2020, 09:11 AM
The Athletic seem to be hoovering up all the best sports writers, not sure if I like the way they are putting all this content I want to read behind a paywall. I suppose it’s the way it is these days :dunno:

Sad how people, not necessarily you, are uncomfortable about having to pay for good writing. Doesn't happen to any other professions.

Smartie
25-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Me too.

I reckon he was very hot and cold under Hecky early on - I happened to be at his good games and didn’t recognise the player I’d seen with my own eyes as the one described on here.

I fully accept that he had a few shockers, they were just the games I wasn’t at, such as Ibrox.

He’s been good all this season, although whilst he doesn’t have shockers any more he has the odd quiet game (not for a few weeks now though).

He’ll be identified as the player who makes us tick next week and closed down very quickly.

davy67 +
25-10-2020, 09:15 AM
Sad how people, not necessarily you, are uncomfortable about having to pay for good writing. Doesn't happen to any other professions.

I think it's probably because people have become used to not paying for online content. If newspapers and magazines had used a paywall from day one then there would've been no problem

jacomo
25-10-2020, 12:45 PM

The Athletic are making an aggressive move to dominate sports reporting. I don’t like it.

You are right about the crisis facing journalism though - people just don’t want to pay for it and it’s making our world worse. Propaganda, disinformation and outright lies are running out of control.

Greenbeard
25-10-2020, 12:59 PM
The Athletic are making an aggressive move to dominate sports reporting. I don’t like it.

You are right about the crisis facing journalism though - people just don’t want to pay for it and it’s making our world worse. Propaganda, disinformation and outright lies are running out of control.
Tom English?

Tambo
25-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Will never forget the Ross County game in October when Hecky played him out on the left, the pelters he got from the east but to be fair Joe didn't excatly look like he bothered that day but so happy Joe has turned it around when played in his preferred position.

oneone73
25-10-2020, 02:03 PM
I think it's probably because people have become used to not paying for online content. If newspapers and magazines had used a paywall from day one then there would've been no problem

Agreed

Centre Hawf
25-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Don't think I've seen a player turn around the opinion of him so drastically as Joe Newell has managed. He was hopeless in his first 6 months out at left wing and if he had left in January I don't think anyone would have cared, then when Jack Ross popped him into CM he's been a totally different player.

When he's on it he is a fantastic player and thankfully this season he's been on it more often than not.

hibsbollah
25-10-2020, 02:05 PM

That’s a fair point. It’s maybe more that the Athletic seems to be ubiquitous at the moment that is worrying me, that all the good content is being monopolised in one place.

Iggy Pope
25-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Following Mattys note I looked it up as I’d never heard of it. £1 per month subscription for a six month introduction.
I buy hard copies of things like Mundial and Nutmeg. Is a paywall such a bad thing at that price?

California-Hibs
25-10-2020, 02:12 PM
Thought it was his best game yet. Played extremely well!

jacomo
25-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Tom English?

Yeah fair comment, but this is part of the problem imo. Tom English wants to say controversial things and burnish his brand online, rather than taking a sober assessment.

EDIT: sorry for dragging us off topic. Newell is a baller and I like him. I do wonder if we should be moving to a 4-3-3, with Boyle wide right and Nisbet either central or wide left. We could then accommodate Newell, Gogic plus one more in midfield.

hibsbollah
25-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Following Mattys note I looked it up as I’d never heard of it. £1 per month subscription for a six month introduction.
I buy hard copies of things like Mundial and Nutmeg. Is a paywall such a bad thing at that price?

It was like £8 a month until they introduced that introductory rate, which I wasn’t willing to pay on top of all the other media stuff I buy. But I probably worded it wrong, it’s the monopoly of talent that yanks my chain, not the price.

Sorry for hijack

Wheat Hound
25-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Yeah fair comment, but this is part of the problem imo. Tom English wants to say controversial things and burnish his brand online, rather than taking a sober assessment.

EDIT: sorry for dragging us off topic. Newell is a baller and I like him. I do wonder if we should be moving to a 4-3-3, with Boyle wide right and Nisbet either central or wide left. We could then accommodate Newell, Gogic plus one more in midfield.

433 is what I'd like to see tried with Magennis tried alkng with Newell and Gogic in the middle 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet.

Keith_M
25-10-2020, 04:55 PM

That's a fair assessment.

Northernhibee
25-10-2020, 04:57 PM
433 is what I'd like to see tried with Magennis tried alkng with Newell and Gogic in the middle 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet.

I don’t think we really play that well in a 4-3-3 formation. Would rather go 3-5-2, win the midfield battle and play from there.

Northernhibee
25-10-2020, 05:03 PM

I don’t think we really play that well in a 4-3-3 formation. Would rather go 3-5-2, win the midfield battle and play from there.

Robbo6-2
25-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Be interesting to know if he has been offered a new deal.

MrRobot
25-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Newell is pure class.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-10-2020, 01:51 PM

I think understanding is that as a subscriber / reader of free stuff, you are the product - your continued readership is sold in the form of advertising - and boy to they not bombard you with wall-to-wall advertising.

All this is not helped when globally, the media companies tend to be controlled by rich owners with an agenda.

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 01:57 PM
I think understanding is that as a subscriber / reader of free stuff, you are the product - your continued readership is sold in the form of advertising - and boy to they not bombard you with wall-to-wall advertising.

All this is not helped when globally, the media companies tend to be controlled by rich owners with an agenda.

Even when you subscribe to a site or buy something, your details are likely to be sold on at some point in any case.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Even when you subscribe to a site or buy something, your details are likely to be sold on at some point in any case.

Yup it’s a racket.

26-10-2020, 03:16 PM

I certainly didn’t. I was at Stirling Albion’s ground for the opening league cup tie and I couldn’t believe how poor he was (along with a lot of other Hibs fans on the day). I couldn’t believe we had signed such a dud - along with one one or two others that day - Tom James springs to mind.
I would gladly have punted both in their first six months at the club.
Just shows how wrong you can be. A proper manager arrives at the club, recognises what the player is capable of if allowed to play to his strengths and is property motivated. Now he is one of the first picks on the team sheet and deservedly so.

EI255
26-10-2020, 06:03 PM
I've always been a fan. Hopefully we can hold on to him. The more he excels the more a English team will try and come in for him.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Robbo6-2
26-10-2020, 06:34 PM
First name on the team sheet this season.

Always been a fan and would be delighted if he signed a new contract.

Keyser Sauzee
26-10-2020, 06:46 PM
One of the most important players in this squad. My opinion of him changed when he came on at half time against Hamilton in the midweek 2-1 game last season, felt he changed the game for us and showed a lot of dig when he came on. Would love him to sign an extension but I have a feeling he won’t.

Northernhibee
26-10-2020, 06:52 PM
One of the most important players in this squad. My opinion of him changed when he came on at half time against Hamilton in the midweek 2-1 game last season, felt he changed the game for us and showed a lot of dig when he came on. Would love him to sign an extension but I have a feeling he won’t.

I think he’ll leave as well. Just a hunch.

Greenbeard
27-10-2020, 07:08 AM
I think he’ll leave as well. Just a hunch.
Not so sure. He looks very happy with life - on the park at least - with a squad that is gelling. No knowledge of his situation off the park eg if he has family and if they are settled/unsettled.
He has def put himself in a better position in the shop window but if he keeps playing as he is for the full season he could be in the front row of the SPL shop window and more in demand. So here's hoping he signs an extension, even for one year so we can let him go at the end of 20-21 for a wee profit.

hibsbollah
27-10-2020, 10:21 AM
I certainly didn’t. I was at Stirling Albion’s ground for the opening league cup tie and I couldn’t believe how poor he was (along with a lot of other Hibs fans on the day). I couldn’t believe we had signed such a dud - along with one one or two others that day - Tom James springs to mind.
I would gladly have punted both in their first six months at the club.
Just shows how wrong you can be. A proper manager arrives at the club, recognises what the player is capable of if allowed to play to his strengths and is property motivated. Now he is one of the first picks on the team sheet and deservedly so.

You’ll remember from that game that he was being played in an advanced role, almost like a false #9. A few weeks later he’s playing wide, also ineffective. I don’t know where he played for most of his career but it’s clear that at Hibs he’s a central midfielder, that what he is, and pissing about with him as some sort of Swiss Army knife utility role was why he looked like a ‘dud’, as you say.

Once Scott Allan stopped being part of the picture and Gogic arrived, Newell became the player he was supposed to be.

Since452
27-10-2020, 10:39 AM
The lad is really enjoying his football at the moment. He'll love it on the big stage at Hampden. We really missed him back in March. Oozes quality.

Unseen work
27-10-2020, 02:02 PM
I thought he was good on Saturday, not as brilliant as everyone else seemed to think. Except the last 10 minutes or so when he had a couple of brilliant bits of play;

Cut in from right and hit a shot
Skill at corner flag with Boyle then cross to Hallberg
Gliding past 2 players then reverse to Doidge who’s shot was blocked.

He can be a brilliant player in that role and he will be if he can dominate games for their entirety and really dominate against the better teams.

This Saturday is a massive game for him and we need him to dictate it from the off.

JimBHibees
27-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Bit of class we really need, has been excellent this season.

The Modfather
07-11-2020, 12:57 PM
I see there’s a thread discussing Gogic, which I think there’s a constructive debate to be had. So thought Newell was as worthy of (another) constructive debate. I didn’t watch the game last night, but the general consensus was we were poor and not many got pass marks, individually or collectively.

Like the point I made on the Gogic thread, I don’t think playing Gogic & Newell as a 2 helps them as they aren’t good enough not to have another body in there against all but the poorer sides. That’s two big games in a week where we‘ve not won the midfield (although don’t think we lost it either against Hearts) and the second game this season against Aberdeen Newell has been subbed after an hour or so in an ineffective performance. I’m still waiting to see Newell grab a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck . I’ve seen a few folk make the point that Newell is good when things are going for well, but less so when things aren’t going well. I think that’s fair.

I think both Newell & Gogic have helped us improve, but need another body in with them against the better teams, and both need upgraded in the mid-long term if we’re to challenge for more than 4th and on a consistent basis IMO.

lord bunberry
07-11-2020, 01:23 PM
I see there’s a thread discussing Gogic, which I think there’s a constructive debate to be had. So thought Newell was as worthy of (another) constructive debate. I didn’t watch the game last night, but the general consensus was we were poor and not many got pass marks, individually or collectively.

Like the point I made on the Gogic thread, I don’t think playing Gogic & Newell as a 2 helps them as they aren’t good enough not to have another body in there against all but the poorer sides. That’s two big games in a week where we‘ve not won the midfield (although don’t think we lost it either against Hearts) and the second game this season against Aberdeen Newell has been subbed after an hour or so in an ineffective performance. I’m still waiting to see Newell grab a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck . I’ve seen a few folk make the point that Newell is good when things are going for well, but less so when things aren’t going well. I think that’s fair.

I think both Newell & Gogic have helped us improve, but need another body in with them against the better teams, and both need upgraded in the mid-long term if we’re to challenge for more than 4th and on a consistent basis IMO.
He’s a frustrating player to watch, when he’s on it he looks a cracking player, but on occasions like last night he’s anonymous. He wasn’t any worse than anyone else, but we need players like him stepping up when the games not going our way and he didn’t do that. I wouldn’t be overly critical of him on last nights performance as apart from young Doig no one got pass marks.

Brightside
07-11-2020, 01:36 PM
27/10 people want him long term deal. 10 days later he’s pish.

tamig
07-11-2020, 01:40 PM
27/10 people want him long term deal. 10 days later he’s pish.

I don’t think you’ve read today’s posts on this thread if that’s your take on it. Nonsense.

I agree we need to have three in the middle. I was hoping Magennis would be that guy but him not being available last night scuppered that.

JohnM1875
07-11-2020, 01:41 PM
He plays far too deep for me.

We need creativity from the middle of the pitch. And Newell has shown he has that in him. But he's not going to do it from inside our own half.

jeffers
07-11-2020, 01:58 PM
He’s a frustrating player to watch, when he’s on it he looks a cracking player, but on occasions like last night he’s anonymous. He wasn’t any worse than anyone else, but we need players like him stepping up when the games not going our way and he didn’t do that. I wouldn’t be overly critical of him on last nights performance as apart from young Doig no one got pass marks.

Reminds me a bit of Milligan in that he looks good against the “lesser” teams. Give him time and space he looks a player, close him down/put him under pressure and he invariably disappears.

LeithMike
07-11-2020, 02:23 PM
There is definitely something missing in midfield. Drive. That has been readily identifiable in our good run as well as in the last couple of games.. Hopefully Magennis can provide that but its asking a lot of him.

Newell is a tidy player but goes missing in the bigger games. If we're going to play a flat 4 in midfield then we need someone with a more all round game than both Gogic and Newell. Both should work in a 3 with someone with a bit more dynamism.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
07-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Both Joe and Gogic need another player in beside them. Both them do not a lot with two wingers to the left and right and they can’t do their actual job. I don’t blame either of them.

SChibs
07-11-2020, 04:09 PM
I think Magennis would be the player to play in the 3 with Newell and Gogic.

Bostonhibby
07-11-2020, 04:12 PM
He plays far too deep for me.

We need creativity from the middle of the pitch. And Newell has shown he has that in him. But he's not going to do it from inside our own half.This, he's a square peg in a round hole when played deeper or on the wing.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
07-11-2020, 06:32 PM

Well last week we were losing and he set up a goal and won a penalty. He also laid on some great passes, which Boyle in particular failed to capitalise on.

I agree through that against the better teams we need 3 in the middle. We need to sacrifice Murphy in those games IMO.

ahibby
07-11-2020, 08:53 PM

We didnt have an idea on how to break them down. Only Boyle and Gullane managed to get behind them but they always had big numbers in their box and they r a physical bunch so wont be bossed in their box. Celtic got ahead with a special curler from edge of box Christie. We dont have that level of talent but thats what it takes.

tamig
07-11-2020, 09:26 PM
We didnt have an idea on how to break them down. Only Boyle and Gullane managed to get behind them but they always had big numbers in their box and they r a physical bunch so wont be bossed in their box. Celtic got ahead with a special curler from edge of box Christie. We dont have that level of talent but thats what it takes.

I thought Jamie Gullan did well last night. I’d be tempted to give him a run of games to see if he can seize the opportunity. I like him on the left up front.

JimBHibees
08-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Both Joe and Gogic need another player in beside them. Both them do not a lot with two wingers to the left and right and they can’t do their actual job. I don’t blame either of them.

Agree actually thought we shouldn't have taken Newell off on Friday, his set piece delivery wasn't great but he was at least trying to get on the ball and play. Think he has been very good this season.

ahibby
08-11-2020, 09:19 AM
I thought Jamie Gullan did well last night. I’d be tempted to give him a run of games to see if he can seize the opportunity. I like him on the left up front.

I agree he should be used more. He seems to have Wright and Murphy ahead of him for that left spot and probs only got on bcos of Kevin coming off. So he had a role further up in attack than those other two. Still he is more likely to get in behind. So tweaks needed to get him involved. It might come down to him or Boyle to allow a mid of Magennis Gigic and Newell.

Clarence
08-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Jack Ross’s skill of being able to get kinda average players to play above themselves in most games is also his downfall as their kinda averageness gets laid bare every time they are tested against quality opposition.

jacomo
08-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Jack Ross’s skill of being able to get kinda average players to play above themselves in most games is also his downfall as their kinda averageness gets laid bare every time they are tested against quality opposition.

I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.

Mr. Wonderful
08-11-2020, 12:58 PM

There's no real superstars in the squad, they work well as a balanced unit in most games but come up short when we meet other well balanced units with more talented individuals within that unit.

Mr. Wonderful
08-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Basically we're not as good as we think we are

The 90+2
08-11-2020, 02:02 PM
Basically we're not as good as we think we are

Doesn’t every teams fans do similar?

Look at the hearts fans thinking all they needed was that German piss heid to come in and take over and they had a top 4 team and squad. They ended up even ****ter and got relegated.

Centre Hawf
08-11-2020, 03:13 PM
I don't really like 4-4-2 in modern football. I'm not sure theres a lot of midfielders, especially at our level, that can go box to box and do the jobs you need from a 2. It's even harder to get 2 of them at once.

Gogic is a CDM, he sits and protects behind 2 people and lets them go play, Newell is a facilitator or even as far as a number 10. He moves the ball around and he has lovely feet to keep the game calm or get us forward when options present themselves. Playing them both as a 2 is just lunacy, especially against an Aberdeen team that for about 5+ years has always had a hard working industrious midfield that you need to be on top of your game to get the better of.

As far as the opinions on Gogic and Newell go both have improved us on players we've had in recent years, but only as part of a specific package can we get the results from that. Whether thats 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 etc then so be it. 4-4-2, and this weird lopsided system we sometimes play to shoe horn Boyle with the two strikers, hasn't worked this season at all and Jack Ross needs to wake up and see that or I fear a lot of the hard and good work from the first round of fixtures could be completely undone.

Mr. Wonderful
08-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Doesn’t every teams fans do similar?

Look at the hearts fans thinking all they needed was that German piss heid to come in and take over and they had a top 4 team and squad. They ended up even ****ter and got relegated.

Yer probs right but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.

ahibby
08-11-2020, 04:29 PM
I don't really like 4-4-2 in modern football. I'm not sure theres a lot of midfielders, especially at our level, that can go box to box and do the jobs you need from a 2. It's even harder to get 2 of them at once.

Gogic is a CDM, he sits and protects behind 2 people and lets them go play, Newell is a facilitator or even as far as a number 10. He moves the ball around and he has lovely feet to keep the game calm or get us forward when options present themselves. Playing them both as a 2 is just lunacy, especially against an Aberdeen team that for about 5+ years has always had a hard working industrious midfield that you need to be on top of your game to get the better of.

As far as the opinions on Gogic and Newell go both have improved us on players we've had in recent years, but only as part of a specific package can we get the results from that. Whether thats 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 etc then so be it. 4-4-2, and this weird lopsided system we sometimes play to shoe horn Boyle with the two strikers, hasn't worked this season at all and Jack Ross needs to wake up and see that or I fear a lot of the hard and good work from the first round of fixtures could be completely undone.

I dont read much into 352 451 and so on. In any game a team has to adapt according to swings in any game. We see that with Doidge or Nisbet dropping into mid esp Nisbet but lets not forget that at ER Doidge chased and beat McRorie in a race to our by line. Not just a box to box player but a by line to by line player.

hibbysam
08-11-2020, 04:35 PM
I dont read much into 352 451 and so on. In any game a team has to adapt according to swings in any game. We see that with Doidge or Nisbet dropping into mid esp Nisbet but lets not forget that at ER Doidge chased and beat McRorie in a race to our by line. Not just a box to box player but a by line to by line player.

Whether you read much into it or not is up to you, the fact we play 2 against a strong, mobile 3 is a massive reason to how we struggle. Especially when our two strikers are told to play high and stay up top. We could easily have matched Aberdeen up on Friday, 3 at the back, Boyle at right wing back and Murphy going more central.

Centre Hawf
08-11-2020, 05:14 PM

You're right that a team has to adapt to swings in any game but you also have to pick the best players in the best system to make that happen. We aren't at the moment. Doidge chasing McRorie to our byline doesn't really help prove an argument either way?

ahibby
08-11-2020, 05:26 PM
You're right that a team has to adapt to swings in any game but you also have to pick the best players in the best system to make that happen. We aren't at the moment. Doidge chasing McRorie to our byline doesn't really help prove an argument either way?

My point is some players not only play box to box but can play byline to byline. To answer an another quwry. When u find youselve outnumbered 3 to 2 in mid u dont get ur goalie to drop the ball on the half way line u play longer and if their backs get it then its not just your defence they have to get thru but ur whole team r facing them.However I advocate a midfield of Magennis Newell and Gogic. Starting from there our width can come from behind them beside them or in front of them depending on what the game calls for at any given time. So I like a strong back 3 a strong mid 3 and the rest should or can be flexible depending on how the opposition play n change.

Centre Hawf
08-11-2020, 08:58 PM
My point is some players not only play box to box but can play byline to byline. To answer an another quwry. When u find youselve outnumbered 3 to 2 in mid u dont get ur goalie to drop the ball on the half way line u play longer and if their backs get it then its not just your defence they have to get thru but ur whole team r facing them.However I advocate a midfield of Magennis Newell and Gogic. Starting from there our width can come from behind them beside them or in front of them depending on what the game calls for at any given time. So I like a strong back 3 a strong mid 3 and the rest should or can be flexible depending on how the opposition play n change.

Absolutely agree with this.

Clarence
08-11-2020, 09:01 PM

Appreciate your honesty.

FitbaFolkKen
08-11-2020, 09:11 PM

There was an interview with Jack Ross where he described his tactical approach. Giving up the middle of the park is an expected outcome which should allow us to overload in wider areas when we counter attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lago
08-11-2020, 09:36 PM
:greengrin👍
Appreciate your honesty.

The Modfather
08-11-2020, 09:43 PM
There was an interview with Jack Ross where he described his tactical approach. Giving up the middle of the park is an expected outcome which should allow us to overload in wider areas when we counter attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The middle of the park is the most important area of the pitch IMO. I’d have big reservations if that’s how Ross sees things and is his long term plan.

FitbaFolkKen
08-11-2020, 11:59 PM
The middle of the park is the most important area of the pitch IMO. I’d have big reservations if that’s how Ross sees things and is his long term plan.

I can't find the interview where he said it but it is definitely a conscious decision to focus on other areas of the pitch. I'll keep having a look.

offshorehibby
09-11-2020, 06:30 AM
I can't find the interview where he said it but it is definitely a conscious decision to focus on other areas of the pitch. I'll keep having a look.

Did he not say something along the lines of 'by playing 2 up front all the time he has to give up something in midfield' before the hearts game.

lord bunberry
09-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Did he not say something along the lines of 'by playing 2 up front all the time he has to give up something in midfield' before the hearts game.
He’s mentioned it a few times in interviews.

Smartie
09-11-2020, 07:14 AM
I’ve very rarely seen Hibs play well with one up front, that’s over several managers. Not saying there’s anything wrong with it - many clubs play it well - I just don’t think it suits us.

So if we have to play 2 up front, what do we sacrifice, and from where?

I’ve probably seen Hibs at their most comfortable in a 352 over the years, it seems to be what ticks most boxes. It poses a question as to how we accommodate Boyle and Murphy but I still think it’s the strongest we have. You also then have the 3 CB’s plus Gogic conundrum.

442 might be fine against weaker teams but it was never going to work against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, although who knows what might have happened if we hadn’t effectively chucked the game within 13 minutes.

Brightside
09-11-2020, 07:48 AM
There is no reason for us to always play 2 up top. We could easily change to 4231. Nisbet can play very well on the left of the 3 behind. Plenty options for Jack - hopefully we will try something out against Dundee...... Mind you they have Charlie Adam so we wont need that much energy in the middle for that game.

Gogic is at his best when he plays as a DM. In the flat 4 he isnt doing that as he has to press all over the middle of the park....on many occasions pushing right up to the opponents box, that leaves huge gaps behind. It works ok in a Diamond but not in a flat 4. Its Jack's insistence to place with wingers in the 442 that is causing us to be overrun in midfield at the moment.

ahibby
09-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Me too, especially now that we are leaking goals which means teams then sit in and there is little if any chance to break thereafter. Neither do I understand when Rocky receives a pass back he aims for the half way line, if JR concedes that midfield area, it just doesn't make sense to play that way, and it's counter to what he thinks he's trying to do. It would explain the pressure our backs are under during games these days, as I said we need a strong 3 in mid and a strong back 3. I don't think we have a strong enough back 3 yet and we could be doing with another CB, in my view. I presume a strong mid 3 of Magennis, Gogic and Newell when Magennis is fully fit.

Peevemor
09-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Me too, especially now that we are leaking goals which means teams then sit in and there is little if any chance to break thereafter. Neither do I understand when Rocky receives a pass back he aims for the half way line, if JR concedes that midfield area, it just doesn't make sense to play that way, and it's counter to what he thinks he's trying to do. It would explain the pressure our backs are under during games these days, as I said we need a strong 3 in mid and a strong back 3. I don't think we have a strong enough back 3 yet and we could be doing with another CB, in my view. I presume a strong mid 3 of Magennis, Gogic and Newell when Magennis is fully fit.

"Now that we are leaking goals" - really?

Smartie
09-11-2020, 08:43 AM

We're leaking more than we were.

The defence started the season brilliantly, the last few games haven't been quite as good.

It may have a shade of hyperbole about it but it's not an entirely unreasonable comment.

Friday was that horrible combination of giving away poor goals, creating nothing and taking no chances. Nothing really worked, no part of the team looked good. It all needs to be a lot better if we're to pick up anything in Aberdeen.

Brightside
09-11-2020, 09:04 AM
We're leaking more than we were.

The defence started the season brilliantly, the last few games haven't been quite as good.

It may have a shade of hyperbole about it but it's not an entirely unreasonable comment.

Friday was that horrible combination of giving away poor goals, creating nothing and taking no chances. Nothing really worked, no part of the team looked good. It all needs to be a lot better if we're to pick up anything in Aberdeen.

We aren't really though. What we are doing is putting ourselves under a lot more pressure than we were previously.

One goal v Hearts. and 2 daft errors in the Aberdeen game that were nothing to do with formation. I do agree though that we are not defending as a team as well as we were earlier. If it continues someone is going to pump us soon.

The 90+2
09-11-2020, 11:39 AM
I’ve very rarely seen Hibs play well with one up front, that’s over several managers. Not saying there’s anything wrong with it - many clubs play it well - I just don’t think it suits us.

So if we have to play 2 up front, what do we sacrifice, and from where?

I’ve probably seen Hibs at their most comfortable in a 352 over the years, it seems to be what ticks most boxes. It poses a question as to how we accommodate Boyle and Murphy but I still think it’s the strongest we have. You also then have the 3 CB’s plus Gogic conundrum.

442 might be fine against weaker teams but it was never going to work against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, although who knows what might have happened if we hadn’t effectively chucked the game within 13 minutes.

Ibrox. Ivan 👌

I agree but I’m glad that sprung to mind.

LeithMike
09-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Agree. 4-4-2 is actually my favourite formation but you need the right players - certainly if you are up against 5 in the midfield. I loved Man United with Giggs and Kancheskis on the wings but in order to accommodate them Man Utd had Keane and Ince in their Prime patrolling the middle of the park - not two players with limited roles like Gogic and Newell.

Our wingers are also prone to losing the ball a lot meaning we need a strong pressing game to get it back- not exactly what Gogic and Newell are cut out for.

With the present squad, to challenge in the big games, it probably needs to be 4-5-1 or 3-5-2. Given Boyle, is decent as a RWB, 3-5-2 prob suits usbest.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
09-11-2020, 12:44 PM
We aren't really though. What we are doing is putting ourselves under a lot more pressure than we were previously.

One goal v Hearts. and 2 daft errors in the Aberdeen game that were nothing to do with formation. I do agree though that we are not defending as a team as well as we were earlier. If it continues someone is going to pump us soon.

There was the two against Hamilton and the three against Celtic also. Both goals and their other penalty could have been avoided and the defending was shocking against Celtic. We are more defensively solid than previous years though.

ahibby
09-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Yep four in the last two matches si compared to early un the season we now have a leak.

The Modfather
25-11-2020, 08:47 AM
I think last night was another example of the enigma that is Newell. He wasn’t bad, but certainly wasn’t good. Not being bad isn’t good enough if we want to ever finish 3rd and on a consistent basis. We need him to take games like last night by the scruff of the neck not just drift through the game along with his fellow midfielders.

I think he had a real purple patch earlier in the season but has also had too many poorer games like last night. Not a priority to replace but not a guy to build a midfield round either IMO. He strikes me as the kind of excellent squad player that we eventually need to get to, to match Aberdeen’s strength in depth. He (and Gogic) have improved us, but he won’t dictate a game the way McGeough could nor drive us on and take a game by scruff of the neck like McGinn. A nice to have player but we need more IMO.

calumhibee1
25-11-2020, 08:48 AM
I think last night was another example of the enigma that is Newell. He wasn’t bad, but certainly wasn’t good. Not being bad isn’t good enough if we want to ever finish 3rd and on a consistent basis. We need him to take games like last night by the scruff of the neck not just drift through the game along with his fellow midfielders.

I think he had a real purple patch earlier in the season but has also had too many poorer games like last night. Not a priority to replace but not a guy to build a midfield round either IMO. He strikes me as the kind of excellent squad player that we eventually need to get to, to match Aberdeen’s strength in depth. He (and Gogic) have improved us, but he won’t dictate a game the way McGeough could nor drive us on and take a game by scruff of the neck like McGinn. A nice to have player but we need more IMO.

:agree:

A not bad player. That’s about it. If we want to be consistently top 4 then we need better.

Smartie
25-11-2020, 09:26 AM
There were too many times last night where the man on the ball had too few options - this affected Newell more than anyone.

He coped better than others by at least managing to retain possession under pressure but because his impact was poor going forward his performance overall was only ok.

His shot from Mackie’s ball in was weak and poor, and if it hadn’t been it would have been a very different game.

I like him and he’s not where I would start reshaping the side, but the blend in the middle is all wrong and at the moment he’s part of that.

500miles
25-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Newell needs to find an extra gear. His close control is excellent, and his ability to come away from a ruck of defenders by switching the ball between his feet is simple but so difficult for defenders to deal with.

If he can add an athletic element to his game, he'll be challenging Nisbet for our best player.

Hiber-nation
25-11-2020, 11:45 AM
At times last night it was a bit like watching Liam Craig when he played for us. Not taking responsibility, safe option every time. He only comes to life when we're holding a lead and then he shows he's got great ability. Just needs to get involved more.

Smartie
25-11-2020, 11:50 AM
At times last night it was a bit like watching Liam Craig when he played for us. Not taking responsibility, safe option every time. He only comes to life when we're holding a lead and then he shows he's got great ability. Just needs to get involved more.

I was happy with him taking the safe option when there was rarely any other option for him when in his position, losing it would have piled pressure onto us via the counter attack.

Taking Gogic off and putting Doidge up front should have given us more options going forward but it didn't really work out that way all that often.

Newell looked stuck on the ball a lot, that was mainly down to St Johnstone being strong and disciplined defensively and us lacking the players to adequately move them out of position and create space.

The Modfather
25-11-2020, 11:55 AM
I was happy with him taking the safe option when there was rarely any other option for him when in his position, losing it would have piled pressure onto us via the counter attack.

Taking Gogic off and putting Doidge up front should have given us more options going forward but it didn't really work out that way all that often.

Newell looked stuck on the ball a lot, that was mainly down to St Johnstone being strong and disciplined defensively and us lacking the players to adequately move them out of position and create space.

Maybe it’s under instruction, but in games like last night we need the likes of Newell to drive with the ball. Pick it up on the half way line and drive 10 or 15 yards into their half before releasing it to the likes of Murphy. Most of his work last night was in our own half, he’s as much a part of our lack of drive, movement and intensity in the middle as anyone IMO.

Alfred E Newman
25-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Maybe it’s under instruction, but in games like last night we need the likes of Newell to drive with the ball. Pick it up on the half way line and drive 10 or 15 yards into their half before releasing it to the likes of Murphy. Most of his work last night was in our own half, he’s as much a part of our lack of drive, movement and intensity in the middle as anyone IMO.
An example of our lack of drive was the fact that from the kick off it took us almost 2 mins to get out of our own half.

Tyler Durden
25-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Poor game last night but still our best CM this season by a distance.

Really need Magennis or a new signing to come into Mallans place and excel if we’re playing a central 3.

Andy74
25-11-2020, 03:03 PM
An example of our lack of drive was the fact that from the kick off it took us almost 2 mins to get out of our own half.

Last night we had 2 shots on goal within the first 2 minutes.

hibbysam
25-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Sometimes better to make stuff up to suit an argument though. ‘Drive forward 10-15 yards’ is all fine and well, until two players are standing in front of you, not sure what folk expect from him.

Peevemor
25-11-2020, 03:09 PM

From our own half? And people say we're not entertaining enough. :greengrin