PDA

View Full Version : Any reason matches need to be played at 'traditional' times these days?

G B Young
24-10-2020, 12:58 PM
With crowds unlikely to return this season I was wondering whether there might be more TV money to be made by playing matches at different times/days of the week rather than sticking them all together on Saturday/Sunday afternoons and midweek evenings?

I'm not talking about 9am on a Monday morning (though there's no logistical reason they couldn't be played then in the current circumstances), more along the lines of spreading the games across the week, maybe including afternoons. There are plenty of people still working from home who would likely tune in for some diversion.

We could also have late night games, similar to the US Open tennis.

Onceinawhile
24-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Thats what they're doing in England. Not sure too many others in would watch games in Scotland other than their own team though.

calumhibee1
24-10-2020, 03:53 PM
No chance they should be between 9-5 Monday - Friday.

Andy74
24-10-2020, 03:59 PM
With crowds unlikely to return this season I was wondering whether there might be more TV money to be made by playing matches at different times/days of the week rather than sticking them all together on Saturday/Sunday afternoons and midweek evenings?

I'm not talking about 9am on a Monday morning (though there's no logistical reason they couldn't be played then in the current circumstances), more along the lines of spreading the games across the week, maybe including afternoons. There are plenty of people still working from home who would likely tune in for some diversion.

Most folk are actually still doing work so 9 to 5 would be out of the question.

Billy Whizz
24-10-2020, 03:59 PM
I agree with the OP, if we’re not getting in, why wait until
3pm on a Saturday, could be anytime around 1pm or so

Bobby's Cinema
24-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Personally the English games kicking off one game at a time throughout the game bores me abit and takes away the excitement of several games on at once goals flying in affecting league tables, fantasy premierleague, bets if you are in to that.

A bit of normality is needed and the promise of it returning is important, keep it as is.

davy67 +
24-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Guess it's all down to the broadcasters and the demand or lack of it for that matter , if they thought there were enough fans who wanted to watch a Staggies v Accies or Well v Saints im sure they'd stick it on

Keith_M
24-10-2020, 05:48 PM
No chance they should be between 9-5 Monday - Friday.

Yeah that would p1ss me off. I wouldn't be able to watch it.

green&left
24-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Realistically who's going to watch it other than season ticket holders of that team plus a few away fans who have ppv options. Guessing that's why we won't see County v Hamilton live on Sky at half 1 on a Tuesday afternoon.

CMurdoch
24-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Not quite what you are getting at but teams outwith the old firm should be playing their Covid postponed games on Tuesday and Wednesday Champions League nights. Otherwise a horrendous backlog is going to build up. Not usually allowed by UEFA but these are not usual times.

SuperAllyMcleod
24-10-2020, 05:56 PM
I thought about this the other day. With every penny very precious at the moment, fixtures should be brought forward to 1pm on a Saturday to give teams a chance of completing the game without having to switch the floodlights on.

The other week we had 4 Premiership games kicking off at 7:45 on a Friday night? Why? I know it was leading up to International matches but the ugly sisters still played their games on the Sunday so it should have been possible for the other teams to play on the Saturday.

danhibees1875
24-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Not a fan of the idea of having games during the week instead of the weekend, don't think there's much to be gained for anyone with that.

Carheenlea
24-10-2020, 08:14 PM
For an armchair audience, I feel a Friday night is the premier time to play matches and maximise income through PPV.

I`ve thought similar with the OP as to why we are still sticking to the traditional KO times without fans, which effectively became traditional on the back of being the times that most enabled fans to attend.

1875godsgift
24-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Not quite what you are getting at but teams outwith the old firm should be playing their Covid postponed games on Tuesday and Wednesday Champions League nights. Otherwise a horrendous backlog is going to build up. Not usually allowed by UEFA but these are not usual times.

That's a good point, get as many postponed games out the way as soon as possible.

B.H.F.C
24-10-2020, 11:19 PM
Friday night is decent.

But even watching, as opposed to being there, I find it much better when it’s a Saturday at 3pm.

I think the more traditional times will still maximise the amount of folk viewing.

Forza Fred
25-10-2020, 01:50 AM
In the Oz A League...admittedly a smaller league of ten, kick off times have been arranged so that subscribers to Foxtel can see every game live.

Keith_M
25-10-2020, 08:46 AM
For an armchair audience, I feel a Friday night is the premier time to play matches and maximise income through PPV.

I`ve thought similar with the OP as to why we are still sticking to the traditional KO times without fans, which effectively became traditional on the back of being the times that most enabled fans to attend.

:agree:

I think Saturday afternoon was originally chosen because a lot of people worked a 5-1/2 day week, with their half-day shift finishing at lunchtime on Saturday. They then had to finish the match before it got dark (there were no floodlights) so not much chance of an evening game

Sundays also weren't an option because people were much more religious than they are now.

Hence the 3pm on a Saturday (which used to often be 2pm in Scotland, due to the shorter days in winter).

neil7908
25-10-2020, 08:47 AM
I'd love to see this. England Premiership is going down this route and it definitely makes it a more interesting weekend.

And I'm a big fan in general of a 3pm Saturday kick off. This is exceptional times though.

Jones28
25-10-2020, 09:08 AM
In the Oz A League...admittedly a smaller league of ten, kick off times have been arranged so that subscribers to Foxtel can see every game live.

I like that.

G B Young
25-10-2020, 09:49 AM

I just meant why would they need to be played during what are normally regarded as established 'slots' - especially as you say if a Covid-related backlog was to build up. For example, with no crowds to cater for there's no logistical reason that the postponed St Mirren v Hamilton game yesterday couldn't be played on, say, a Monday afternoon, prior to floodlights being required.

green with envy
25-10-2020, 10:43 AM
I just meant why would they need to be played during what are normally regarded as established 'slots' - especially as you say if a Covid-related backlog was to build up. For example, with no crowds to cater for there's no logistical reason that the postponed St Mirren v Hamilton game yesterday couldn't be played on, say, a Monday afternoon, prior to floodlights being required.

How times have changed when games on a Saturday started at 3.00 and ended at 20 to 5 and 7.30 till 10 past 9 on a Wednesday. 😂😂

H18 SFR
25-10-2020, 10:48 AM
The match at 3pm on a Saturday is the only ‘normal’ thing in my life just now albeit remotely.

Work is horrendously different. Home life is horrendously different. I can’t see my mates.

All I have is Hibs at 3pm on a Saturday. It’s allowed me to follow my Saturday routine without a drive to wherever we are playing.

Long live the 3pm kick off on a Saturday.