PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to name the stands?

JGS56
22-10-2020, 07:41 PM
When I saw that it was 20 years since the 6-2 game and we already had the new stands behind the goals, I realised that they had been up longer than I had realised. In fact it is 25 years since the South and North/Famous Five, 19 years since the West/Main and 10 years since the East stands were constructed. I was wondering what people thought about naming the 3 stands and whether it was a good time to think about it.
With a new owner in place and various plans (currently on hold due to the pandemic) in the pipeline it might be a useful time to think about this. Imagine what it would be like to welcome back full crowds into newly named stands.

To kick things off I would propose names along the following lines.

West/Main - "Sir Tom Farmer Stand".
East - "a famous player* Stand" or "Persevered Stand" * = a worthy player.
South - "Dunbar End Stand" (the older ones amongst you will know" or "21st May Stand" (this would wind up certain clubs).

MKHIBEE
22-10-2020, 08:02 PM
The south stand should be the ‘Sir David Gray 90 + 2’ stand

CentreLine
22-10-2020, 08:04 PM
For me it makes as much sense as naming the weather. Storm this or weather system that. So it’s a no from me. People turn up at “Easter Road Stadium” and that works just fine for me.

The Modfather
22-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Sell the names each stand and also the overall name for the stadium. Free money and the majority will just continue to call it East, West etc and Easter Road.

EI255
22-10-2020, 08:15 PM
How about 1,2,3 and 4?

Or

A,B,C and D?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

easty
22-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Sell the names each stand and also the overall name for the stadium. Free money and the majority will just continue to call it East, West etc and Easter Road.

Definitely

The Count
22-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Names of stands apart from The Famous Five very unispiring.However you would have to look over our whole history in naming stands and not just modern times.Hence some of the names might be too Irish for some of our fans.Although personally i do think we should acknowledge in some way our founders.However " The1875 Stand" for one stand should meet with approval and may cover our early years without controversy.

Mick O'Rourke
22-10-2020, 08:17 PM
For me it makes as much sense as naming the weather. Storm this or weather system that. So it’s a no from me. People turn up at “Easter Road Stadium” and that works just fine for me.

Tornadoes Stand :greengrin

CMurdoch
22-10-2020, 08:18 PM
They should name stands after Tom Farmer and Pat Stanton before they pass.
Both have played massively important roles for the club.

The Modfather
22-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Names of stands apart from The Famous Five very unispiring.However you would have to look over our whole history in naming stands and not just modern times.Hence some of the names might be too Irish for some of our fans.Although personally i do think we should acknowledge in some way our founders.However " The1875 Stand" for one stand should meet with approval and may cover our early years without controversy.

Think our name, Hibernian, and harp on our badge is enough of a nod to our foundation and early years. Could maybe be sold on naming a stand after our founders but would prefer to see the names more related to the football.

JGS56
Good idea, I was just putting thoughts out in the open to find possible basic principles for the naming of the 3 unnamed stands.

RitchieHibs

I agree that Sir Tom deserves a long lasting legacy with the West Stand named in honour of the big man who saved us from probable extinction. However, I'm certain Pat would settle for being included within a stand named after another legendary status team in our history the Tornadoes. It only leaves the other stand to be named after the 2016 'Time for Heroes' legends. Done and dusted :greengrin

JGS56
22-10-2020, 08:26 PM

Their ancestors helped found the club in 1875.

The Harp
22-10-2020, 08:31 PM
I'm with you 100% on this CM. It would be a fitting tribute to Sir Tom to name the West Stand after him. And surely the East should be the Pat Stanton Stand, hopefully while they are still with us.

CMurdoch
22-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Their ancestors helped found the club in 1875.

They tie the whole thing together

Vini1875
22-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Not so sure that any person really stands out above others from our history to be have a stand named after them. The Famous Five was a very clear choice with no competition from any other team from another period of our history. There are many individuals throughout our history from Canon Hannon to Harry Swan to Tom Farmer who could easily merit their name being on the stand, but no clear candid above any other.

CMurdoch
22-10-2020, 09:04 PM
I'm with you 100% on this CM. It would be a fitting tribute to Sir Tom to name the West Stand after him. And surely the East should be the Pat Stanton Stand, hopefully while they are still with us.

That leaves the South which could be called Standy McStandface

superfurryhibby
22-10-2020, 09:11 PM
We should name a stand after Pat Stanton. One of the greatest ever Hibernians and a man who is respected by everyone of a certain generation, regardless of whom they support. He has connected to our support in a way no other Hibernian has, epitomising everything good about the club. Beyond that I would suggest a Tornadoes Stand ( the East).

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Don’t forget our most successful Manager ever Hugh Shaw

RitchieHibs
22-10-2020, 09:22 PM
We should name a stand after Pat Stanton. One of the greatest ever Hibernians and a man who is respected by everyone of a certain generation, regardless of whom they support. He has connected to our support in a way no other Hibernian has, epitomising everything good about the club. Beyond that I would suggest a Tornadoes Stand ( the East).

I certainly wouldn't be against a Pat Stanton stand, however, having spent a wee bit of time in the great gentleman's company I suspect he'd rather he was honored in the whole within Turnbull's Tornadoes legendary team, imo. Personally I couldn't think of a more fitting tribute to a magnificent team that tore apart a Jambo team 0-7 on their own turf.
''

The Count
22-10-2020, 09:34 PM
There have been many great individuals over our history from 1875 so i would keep clear of picking just one,two or there as it does a diservice to others not picked.Yes King Paddy deserves in our lifetime it but i dare say our club historian can come up with other deserving names from years gone by.Personally would prefer names like "Cowgate Stand" "Tornado Stand" "1875 Stand" or names along these lines.

kaimendhibs
22-10-2020, 09:37 PM
Both have played massively important roles for the club.[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
22-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Don’t think naming a stand after a team that played excellent football for a couple of seasons and won one trophy is justified.

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Don’t think naming a stand after a team that played excellent football for a couple of seasons and won one trophy is justified.

So having seen the Famous Five and Turnbull’s Tornadoes who was the better team in your opinion?
( Serious question )

kaimendhibs
22-10-2020, 09:47 PM
Don’t think naming a stand after a team that played excellent football for a couple of seasons and won one trophy is justified.Jeez. Thought I had seen everything but well done, top trumps [emoji87][emoji87][emoji87]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

wookie70
22-10-2020, 09:48 PM

Same for me. Take the money if anyone is offering. The East, West and Dunbar End will always be that to me. The timing isn't right given the pandemic but I hope we look into this after it is over.

RitchieHibs
22-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Same for me. Take the money if anyone is offering. The East, West and Dunbar End will always be that to me. The timing isn't right given the pandemic but I hope we look into this after it is over.

When I and thousands of others were attending back in the day there were many other names for both the East and West and the Famous Five. I was born a hibby in the old North Stand section of what is now known as the West. I have zero problem naming stands after our heroes and teams of yesteryear instead.

Sir Tam deserves a legacy as does Pat and Turnbull's Tornadoes. No problem either naming a stand after the most recent time for heroes historical legends tbf.

ancient hibee
22-10-2020, 09:59 PM
So having seen the Famous Five and Turnbull’s Tornadoes who was the better team in your opinion?
( Serious question )

While I know your boyhood heroes are the ones you stick with a comparison of their records shows that the Famous Five period was unsurpassed in the history of the club and they did it by playing a brand of football that people all over the UK wanted to see as can be seen by the number of friendlies that they played and had such a record that even though past their best were chosen to take part in the first European competition.The Tornadoes played excellent football over a relatively short period and did not win the number of trophies that a great team should.The 11 players that we usually think of as the best team only played together twenty odd times.

The_Exile
22-10-2020, 10:00 PM
Sentiment won’t keep the lights on, sell the naming of whatever we can get, nobody will give a toss a few weeks later.

hibsbollah
22-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Sentiment won’t keep the lights on, sell the naming of whatever we can get, nobody will give a toss a few weeks later.

I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with any post more.

History matters, sentiment undoubtedly DOES keep the lights on.Without sentiment, why not go and watch any old *****?

Eyrie
22-10-2020, 10:10 PM

History matters, sentiment undoubtedly DOES keep the lights on.Without sentiment, why not go and watch any old *****?

There's a lot of old ***** I could have missed out on at Easter Road if sentiment didn't keep drawing me back.

Scott Allan Key
22-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Famous Five, Tornadoes 90+ 2, Sir Tom Farmer. 3 legacy teams inclusive of Stanton and many other successful players and a saviour and descendant of our originators.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RitchieHibs
22-10-2020, 10:23 PM

You're completely wrong. Try telling that to the many very angry swarms of Hi bees that descended upon Easter Road when the news broke that Wallet Mercenary was about to take us over. The vast majority had left their place of work awol and were ready to riot. You're way off track sunbeam.

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2020, 10:39 PM
While I know your boyhood heroes are the ones you stick with a comparison of their records shows that the Famous Five period was unsurpassed in the history of the club and they did it by playing a brand of football that people all over the UK wanted to see as can be seen by the number of friendlies that they played and had such a record that even though past their best were chosen to take part in the first European competition.The Tornadoes played excellent football over a relatively short period and did not win the number of trophies that a great team should.The 11 players that we usually think of as the best team only played together twenty odd times.
The reason I asked the question was nothing to do with naming Stands I was interested in your thoughts as an eye witness to the Famous Five
My Dad used to rave about the Famous Five and I used to rave at him about how well the TT’s had played and he would just laugh -as he had long since stopped going-and say the only thing guaranteed in life is the HIBS will always let you down.
His all time heroes were Joe Baker and John McNamee but if you asked him the BEST player he ever saw it was always - like so many of his generation- Gordon Smith.
I feel privileged to have watched the Tornadoes they were a joy to watch
I did not see the Famous Five so my question was genuine
Sadly my Dad did not see the Holy Grail but as others have said we have a fantastic history of many great teams, players, administrators and Managers and you are correct we need to make sure that if we start naming Stands after teams or individuals they are the most deserving cases or if substantial finance is involved name your price?

The_Exile
23-10-2020, 12:10 AM

I’m specifically talking about the here and now given the current climate and the potential for the club to earn a few quid.

Stuart93
23-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Every other suggestion is all good and well but the Sir David Gray Arena can’t be far off.

HoboHarry
23-10-2020, 12:22 AM
Can we build a hotel and call it the Hobo Harry Hilton? I'll donate 10 bucks and tell the press I am an American investor :)

Clarence
23-10-2020, 04:14 AM
The east could be the Persevere Stand in honour of the great cup win.

Tom Hart RIP
23-10-2020, 04:30 AM

👍

Since452
23-10-2020, 05:34 AM
It's time to sell the naming rights for the whole stadium.

Keith_M
23-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Not so sure that any person really stands out above others from our history to be have a stand named after them. The Famous Five was a very clear choice with no competition from any other team from another period of our history. There are many individuals throughout our history from Canon Hannon to Harry Swan to Tom Farmer who could easily merit their name being on the stand, but no clear candid above any other.

I would have thought Canon Hannon stood out a bit more.

:dunno:

Phil MaGlass
23-10-2020, 07:36 AM
It might sound strange, but, since we are coming up with so many names to call the stands, how about we name each section, instead of numbering them. Of course the Stands should be named after the big names ie, Main, Sir Tom Farmer, East The Tornado/Pat Stanton, etc
Just an idea.

The Count
23-10-2020, 07:49 AM
Had a dream last night that the South Stand was renamed depending on who we were playing.Jambo games it was called the 7-0 Stand,Hun games Stand 2016 and Celtic games First to wear the green Stand.Then i woke up !!!

.Sean.
23-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Main Stand - The Sir Tom Farmer Stand

East - The Pat Stanton Stand

South - The Persevere End

superfurryhibby
23-10-2020, 08:01 AM

In terms of our history, he’s obviously a pivotal figure.

In terms of connection to the fans, I reckon Pat Stanton is the man. He made his debut nearly 60 years ago and he’s still revered. I suppose the fact that a good number of us remember him playing helps a lot with that, and the way he’s become so visible as a statesman for the club.

Over the decades most of us have met Pat and shared a few words with him. The fact that he is so approachable, with such a charisma and humility about him. As someone pointed out, he’d be a bit mortified at the idea of honouring him in such a way, but he also knows he was the fulcrum of the Tornadoes. They (Tornadoes) all love the guy and everyone of them I’ve heard interviewed (Blackley, Cropley, O’Rourke) describe him as the best player they played with. Honouring Pat would be so meaningful and should be done whilst we can do it.

Greenbeard
23-10-2020, 09:09 AM
There have been many great individuals over our history from 1875 so i would keep clear of picking just one,two or there as it does a diservice to others not picked.Yes King Paddy deserves in our lifetime it but i dare say our club historian can come up with other deserving names from years gone by.Personally would prefer names like "Cowgate Stand" "Tornado Stand" "1875 Stand" or names along these lines.
Aye, and there eventually would be the problem of what you would do in 50 years time to honour Ryan Porteous for spending his whole career at Hibs, captaining the club to the league title and three Scottish Cup wins, then surpassing these feats as Hibs manager, not forgetting his 70 caps for Scotland and being the first Scotland captain to lead the national side to the latter stages of a World Cup. Would he just get a car park named after him? That's if we still have cars in 50 years time and not an automatic interlinked taxi network of super-fast suspended monorail trainpods covering every street in the city. Ah, maybe I've taken that too far.

Keith_M
23-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Aye, and there eventually would be the problem of what you would do in 50 years time to honour Ryan Porteous for spending his whole career at Hibs, captaining the club to the league title and three Scottish Cup wins, then surpassing these feats as Hibs manager, not forgetting his 70 caps for Scotland and being the first Scotland captain to lead the national side to the latter stages of a World Cup. Would he just get a car park named after him? That's if we still have cars in 50 years time and not an automatic interlinked taxi network of super-fast suspended monorail trainpods covering every street in the city. Ah, maybe I've taken that too far.

We'll have moved to our out of town 70,000 capacity 'Porteous Arena' by then.

Ryan will have already been given Nobel prizes for finding cures for AIDS, Baldness and Irritating Nose Hair.

Hakim Sar
23-10-2020, 09:37 AM
I’d personally go for the Hakim Sar Temsoury Arena. It’s just got a ring to it eh?

CockneyRebel
23-10-2020, 09:45 AM

Get's my vote. Why not have a poll?

Renfrew_Hibby
23-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Get's my vote. Why not have a poll?

Probably been mentioned a couple of million times but the south should always be the Bell-End stand. I mean he was before my time but how good was Dougie Bell?

James Stephen
23-10-2020, 09:52 AM
In terms of our history, he’s obviously a pivotal figure.

In terms of connection to the fans, I reckon Pat Stanton is the man. He made his debut nearly 60 years ago and he’s still revered. I suppose the fact that a good number of us remember him playing helps a lot with that, and the way he’s become so visible as a statesman for the club.

Over the decades most of us have met Pat and shared a few words with him. The fact that he is so approachable, with such a charisma and humility about him. As someone pointed out, he’d be a bit mortified at the idea of honouring him in such a way, but he also knows he was the fulcrum of the Tornadoes. They (Tornadoes) all love the guy and everyone of them I’ve heard interviewed (Blackley, Cropley, O’Rourke) describe him as the best player they played with. Honouring Pat would be so meaningful and should be done whilst we can do it.

Certainly not against the Stanton idea, despite being too young to have seen him play.

What about this for an idea - the Whelahan Stanton stand. Honours our first captain (and one of our founders) alongside our greatest captain, draws the link through our history and of course they were related, so its a nice sense of continuity.

Might be a bit unwieldy though?

I definitely think the Farmer stand, and again this could just be the Farmer stand, to honour both Tom and also Philip and his brother (apologies, his name escapes me) who helped rescue and resuscitate the club, and also played a large part in firmly rooting the club into its Leith community. Again it highlights the continuity and family links, which i think are a really nice aspect of the club's history.

Topographic Hibby
23-10-2020, 11:56 AM

South - The Persevere EndNothing much wrong with these three. Persevere End must have lots of images, banners with historic matches eg 6-2 game, SCF win, lots of pictures of SDG, Lewis, Hanlon scoring an equaliser, *THAT* picture of The Rangers players demoralised on the pitch with not a Hibs player in sight while pandemonium erupts on the terraces behind them.

A very welcoming experience for away fans. Well, two clubs anyway....:greengrin

erin go bragh
23-10-2020, 12:00 PM
No . Should name some different parts inside the ground after some players / managers . Would like us to name some food stuff ie , The David Gray burger . Stokes ( on fire ) spicy chicken burger . Which you can order by the Henderson to deliver app on your phone . Get it sorted Ron 😁😁

HoboHarry
23-10-2020, 12:29 PM
No . Should name some different parts inside the ground after some players / managers . Would like us to name some food stuff ie , The David Gray burger . Stokes ( on fire ) spicy chicken burger . Which you can order by the Henderson to deliver app on your phone . Get it sorted Ron 😁😁
For faster delivery they could offer express delivery called the Ivan Sproule option :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
23-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't name any of them, and definitely not after any one person. Looks and sounds naff.

Easter Road, East Mains, East Stand - I like the continuity.

Oscar T Grouch
23-10-2020, 01:17 PM
I'd name the main stand the Farmer stand but I would leave the others as is at the moment, STF brought us back from the dead, turned us from a financial basket case to a well run club and rebuilt the stadium and delivered the Scottish Cup all in around 30 years. We have history yet made to come, let's save the East for that.

gbhibby
23-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Why not name the different sections of each stand after players. Could be interesting in South Stand.

The Modfather
23-10-2020, 04:59 PM
I'd name the main stand the Farmer stand but I would leave the others as is at the moment, STF brought us back from the dead, turned us from a financial basket case to a well run club and rebuilt the stadium and delivered the Scottish Cup all in around 30 years. We have history yet made to come, let's save the East for that.

Get Farmer to buy the naming rights for Farmers Autocare, everyone wins 😀

Pagan Hibernia
23-10-2020, 05:28 PM
It's time to sell the naming rights for the whole stadium.

nah.

Pagan Hibernia
23-10-2020, 05:28 PM
The Albert Kidd Stand?

Iggy Pope
23-10-2020, 05:36 PM

We’d look daft if we got the spelling wrong though.

zitelli62
23-10-2020, 05:42 PM

Spot on perfect get it done hibs.

hibbyfraelibby
23-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Careful consideration should be given to naming the stands. I would suggest a conservative approach to naming so we dont upset groups by naming a stand controversially.

I would suggest the following

Cowshed End - North Stand
Dunbar End - South Stand
Main Terracing - East Stand
Main Stand/Enclosures - West Stand

😊😊😊

superfurryhibby
23-10-2020, 10:11 PM

A clear winner.

We’d look daft if we got the spelling wrong though.

:top marks

Wakeyhibee
24-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Can rename the 4 stands and Stadium and get as much sponsorship as they can. It will always be E/W/S/N stands and ER to me

Juniper Greens
24-10-2020, 10:09 AM
I'd sell the naming rights for the stands definitely. And if I'm honest, would be tempted to do the stadium too. I was dead against it for long enough, but not overly bothered now. If anything raises funds for the club and doesn't screw over fans, it has to be good.

Pagan Hibernia
24-10-2020, 10:11 AM
I'd sell the naming rights for the stands definitely. And if I'm honest, would be tempted to do the stadium too. I was dead against it for long enough, but not overly bothered now. If anything raises funds for the club and doesn't screw over fans, it has to be good.

thin end of the wedge. Some things shouldnt be for sale.