PDA

View Full Version : European Premier League.

JohnM1875
20-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Being talked about again.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

matty_f
20-10-2020, 01:24 PM
I presume they'll wait for Hearts to be back in the top flight, or do you think they'll just invite them anyway because they're special and that?

Lago
20-10-2020, 01:24 PM
All about money, money, money. It's a rich clubs world.

JohnM1875
20-10-2020, 01:25 PM
I presume they'll wait for Hearts to be back in the top flight, or do you think they'll just invite them anyway because they're special and that?

Spot on. Couldn't start it without 'The Famous'

Green Reaper
20-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Explains why they were trying to reduce the number of clubs in the EPL as thst would have msde it easier to fit in the Euro Prem Lge fixtures

Halmyre Hibee
20-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Everything that’s wrong about modern day football. Greed and only a few elite or mega rich clubs wanting even more. Prefer to watch Hibs any day of the week.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Completely inevitable. Why else would Sky enable richer clubs to get richer whilst others go to the wall?

All fed through the greed and craving of the precious TV deal dosh...

Clubs go to the wall leaving Sky (ever the King-makers as we know in Scotland and they have multiple fingers in multiple pies) to be waiting in the wings to dictate the setup that suits them... less clubs = bigger share for those remaining.

I’ve long argued that football authorities have been asleep at the wheel - favouring increased income whilst neglecting the very sustainability of the game (which should be at the forefront) warning signs constantly ignored.

Pagan Hibernia
20-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Consolidation of power and wealth permanently in the hands of a handful of clubs.

delbert
20-10-2020, 01:37 PM

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

The irony of this rearing it’s head again less than a week after ‘Operation Big Picture’ gets bulleted won’t be lost on many, or perhaps its just pure coincidence ! 😉

Monts
20-10-2020, 01:37 PM
So are they suggesting that the teams would only compete in a european league, or would it be midweek european games, and domestic games at weekends?

murray26
20-10-2020, 01:40 PM
The greed is sickening

weecounty hibby
20-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Modern football is absolutely ***** and all about the handful of clubs in each country making sure they are the richest clubs and **** the rest of us. Only a matter of time before the big clubs tell uefa and FIFA to boot and set up their own league playing each other and no longer playing in their home association. Far fetched? Not to my mind. May take a few years but that will happen

gbhibby
20-10-2020, 02:05 PM
Once again the rich get richer. FIFA are backing this. Like the champions league teams who fail are getting free money. A European Premier league should be for champions not teams finishing 4th in their league. They are also saying that certain clubs will have a protected status and not be relegated. Count me out.

Bishop Hibee
20-10-2020, 02:09 PM
I’ve posted on here many times about the inevitability of this. The greed of the owners of Real, Man Utd etc knows no bounds. The only twist is the involvement of FIFA who will be delighted to get control of this cash cow from UEFA who they have been envious of for years.

nonshinyfinish
20-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know more about the FIFA vs UEFA angle on this?

Is it a power move by FIFA to get more control over club football?

bingo70
20-10-2020, 02:15 PM
i presume they'll wait for hearts to be back in the top flight, or do you think they'll just invite them anyway because they're special and that?

maroon pound

bringbackbenny
20-10-2020, 02:49 PM
maroon pound

Ignore at your peril 🤭

superfurryhibby
20-10-2020, 03:00 PM
I’ve posted on here many times about the inevitability of this. The greed of the owners of Real, Man Utd etc knows no bounds. The only twist is the involvement of FIFA who will be delighted to get control of this cash cow from UEFA who they have been envious of for years.

A breakaway is inevitable and the only surprise for me is that it hasn't happened yet.

Bostonhibby
20-10-2020, 03:03 PM
I presume they'll wait for Hearts to be back in the top flight, or do you think they'll just invite them anyway because they're special and that?It's at times like this that "special relationships" come into their own. Having a self proclaimed one with liverpool at the same time as stiffing them by listing them on your very own creditors list counts for something.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
20-10-2020, 03:06 PM
maroon poundMacaroon pound surely? Pleasant taste, bad for you by the pound, it actually exists and has some relevance in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
20-10-2020, 03:07 PM
I’d love to see a massive backlash from fans of clubs not involved in this, a campaign to not watch any games. Starve the tv companies of subscribers, cancel existing subscriptions etc.

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2020, 03:09 PM
I’d love to see a massive backlash from fans of clubs not involved in this, a campaign to not watch any games. Starve the tv companies of subscribers, cancel existing subscriptions etc.

Wouldn't matter. They'll play them in the middle of the night and make twice as much from US and China.

lord bunberry
20-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't matter. They'll play them in the middle of the night and make twice as much from US and China.
Probably.

The Spaceman
20-10-2020, 03:20 PM
All of the excluded clubs in these leagues should sign a pact to refuse to do any transfer dealings etc with these clubs from now on - a complete embargo. What a sickening level of greed and honestly wish for every single one of those teams who sign up to go to the wall.

Luckily, we in Scottish Football can sit back with the popcorn and watch the whole thing kick off, but this must be super worrying if you are e.g. a Wolves, Newcastle, Everton or Valencia fan...! Would completely kill a lot of these big-money leagues and take the bloated upper-middle market crashing out of existence.

Hibs to pick up the likes of James Rodriguez and Traore when it all does? :greengrin

DH1875
20-10-2020, 04:08 PM

And who exactly owns Real Madrid. They are run by a president who is chosen by the fans who own most of the shares in the club. Completely different to clubs like Inter, PSG, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc...

Lendo
20-10-2020, 04:12 PM
Very much looking forward to the rage and anger when the bigot twins find out they’re not being invited to play.

Since452
20-10-2020, 04:12 PM
Sounds hideous

HoboHarry
20-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Very much looking forward to the rage and anger when the bigot twins find out they’re not being invited to play.

I don't like either of them particularly but Sevco are especially loathsome. I'd love to see Celtic invited and Sevco not. The rage would immense to see......

Billy Whizz
20-10-2020, 05:01 PM
So is this league instead of the Champions League, cause there’s no way there are enough dates in the Calendar for both

ScottB
20-10-2020, 05:49 PM
May as well, create an almost NFL style super league to sit at the top and maybe the national leagues underneath return to more of an even keel.

From a Scottish point of view, what they get up to is almost irrelevant, but it would presumably lead to less daft money artificially flowing through the English pyramid, might stop us being outbid for players by clubs in League 1 etc, as all the crazy money is concentrated on the 18 super clubs, with no incentive to buy random English clubs, unable to break into the cartel at the top.

Renfrew_Hibby
20-10-2020, 06:06 PM
May as well, create an almost NFL style super league to sit at the top and maybe the national leagues underneath return to more of an even keel.

From a Scottish point of view, what they get up to is almost irrelevant, but it would presumably lead to less daft money artificially flowing through the English pyramid, might stop us being outbid for players by clubs in League 1 etc, as all the crazy money is concentrated on the 18 super clubs, with no incentive to buy random English clubs, unable to break into the cartel at the top.

I think an NFL style set up is the way it could go.
All the money from commercial deals and merchandise sales pooled and split fairly equally.
What could this mean for the rest of us? A slow painful death? But then if we look to America, their college football draws bigger crowds than the NFL, and TV viewing figures aren't too shabby.
There will always be a place for clubs and leagues to survive and thrive, it's just the pinnacle of the sport would be closed off to 99% of clubs, but then it is anyway as it is.

Eyrie
20-10-2020, 06:25 PM

I'd prefer that both get invited.

The rest of us can then enjoy our football in a competitive league. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts aren't that much larger than the next tier of clubs, so there will always be plenty of competition.

Since452
20-10-2020, 06:32 PM
Is a European Premier League not really what the "Champions" League is? Same teams every season and very rarely do other teams get a look in.

DetroitHibs
20-10-2020, 06:43 PM
I used to follow 4-5 leagues around the world when I was younger. Knew most players and loved the game. Nowadays 20 years later, I have lost interest. I watch Hibs and will stick on the odd EPL game, but I have zero interest outside Hibs any more. Money has ruined the game and it's not coming back.

Green Reaper
20-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Is a European Premier League not really what the "Champions" League is? Same teams every season and very rarely do other teams get a look in.

More or less but they plan to play 18 fixtures in Euro Prem lge. Staying in domestic leagues too so a lot of games to fit in but the money spoken of is crazy

LancsHibs
20-10-2020, 07:10 PM
The greed is sickening

Agree with this. And Manchester United have a brass neck! It’s a good job for them it’s not the best 18 football teams as they wouldn’t even be close to being invited.

Scott Allan Key
20-10-2020, 07:12 PM
I can see fans revolting. Grassroots supporters of big clubs will still want the joy of winning domestic league. Bragging rights with their derby wins more important than rolling over to the machinations of a bunch of evil bankers who will happily asset strip the poorer clubs going to the wall.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
20-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I really feel quite sorry for the many genuine lifelong supporters of Liverpool, United etc.

i mean no club is whiter than white, but it can’t be easy reconciling your love for the team with the knowledge that your club is a greedy dishonourable piece of s***e

obviously a lot of them won’t care as long as the success continues, but for the old school fan, they must realise they’ve lost something precious

DetroitHibs
20-10-2020, 07:23 PM
It's an opportunity for the lower league clubs to market themselves to the REAL fans. Get back to basics, introduce terracing again and get an atmosphere back in the grounds. Crystal Palace fans and atmosphere show it's still part of the game. You don't get that at the big clubs, just the prawn sandwich brigade.

Renfrew_Hibby
20-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Now we know why Man City were floating the idea of 'B' teams in the lower leagues last week.

This is exactly what the Daily Record ect were prattling on about years ago... How great it would be to see the old firm join the EPL, but don't worry plebs, they will still have 'B' teams left up here so your diddy teams will still have the privilege of seeing the mighty old firm and being regularly gubbed by them.

murray26
20-10-2020, 07:34 PM
So will this be the same 18 clubs year in year out no matter what..?

gaz1875
20-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Can't think of anything more boring. I used to look forward to the champions league games because they were one off's. Having a league where they play each other twice a season with no relegation could back fire big time. And Man Utd :faf: they struggle in the Premiership these days.

Scorrie
20-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Sounds pretty horrendous to be honest. Football at that level is going to disappear up its own erse. The thing with getting more money is that you end up paying more for players so you’re not really that better off ...

Hulk1875
20-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Modern football is absolutely ***** and all about the handful of clubs in each country making sure they are the richest clubs and **** the rest of us. Only a matter of time before the big clubs tell uefa and FIFA to boot and set up their own league playing each other and no longer playing in their home association. Far fetched? Not to my mind. May take a few years but that will happen

It’s a joke why any fans would want to be part of that I don’t know surely playing rivals in a league in your own country means more than playing the “bigger” clubs . But I suppose it’s not the fans that want it. It’s the business men that own the richest clubs that want it

Hulk1875
20-10-2020, 08:48 PM
I’m 32 now as young lad and teenager I watched all football and loved it, now I can only get up for a hibs game because it’s something close to my heart it runs through my blood, English football and that is getting boing overpaid players

Ozyhibby
20-10-2020, 08:50 PM
This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.
There will be lots of moaning and complaining, talk of boycotts etc but as soon as it hits TV screens everyone will be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
20-10-2020, 08:54 PM
This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.
There will be lots of moaning and complaining, talk of boycotts etc but as soon as it hits TV screens everyone will be watching.

not everyone. I, categorically, will not be watching.

Killiehibbie
20-10-2020, 08:54 PM

I've boycotted sky since day 1. I hope it catches on

Killiehibbie
20-10-2020, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6332805]This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

They can ram it.

Glory Lurker
20-10-2020, 09:04 PM

Um, er.....

:-0

Lendo
20-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Um, er.....

It all makes sense now

Duke of Currie
20-10-2020, 09:10 PM
If the NFL is the model , then like American sports they will have feeder teams in the domestic leagues and the star players in this elite league.
They might be B teams or they might just buy another club, either way its the the next stage of the demise of the game because too much money, non European owners and commercial/TV demand from outside Europe will drive this.
If the top 36 clubs clubs are slected on commercial benefit alone , would expect Celtic to be part of this. And if you think Scottish football gets the scraps just now , wait until it loses its biggest earner

Ozyhibby
20-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Um, er.....

I have no doubt that Ron Gordon will want a return on his investment as well. Don’t kid yourself that he’s here because he loves Hibs. As things get shaken up at the top of the game it will filter down and there will be changes at our level as well.
No idea how it will all pan out but I’m certain things won’t stay how they are.

weecounty hibby
20-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.

Ozyhibby
20-10-2020, 09:25 PM
Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.

I’m in the same boat but I suspect I’m not their target market. They are thinking of a global audience who don’t have traditional attachments.

Glory Lurker
20-10-2020, 09:27 PM
I have no doubt that Ron Gordon will want a return on his investment as well. Don’t kid yourself that he’s here because he loves Hibs. As things get shaken up at the top of the game it will filter down and there will be changes at our level as well.
No idea how it will all pan out but I’m certain things won’t stay how they are.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the "American owners" mention.

I too am sure RG is looking for a return. Of course he is. I'm confident he will do it while keeping the spirit of the club in tact. I expect we're both of the same view.

Pagan Hibernia
20-10-2020, 09:28 PM

exactly. It’s weighted towards wealth. The romance is long gone.

Irish_Steve
20-10-2020, 09:32 PM
All about money, money, money. It's a rich clubs world.

Can't stand this "the winner takes it all" attitude

Ozyhibby
20-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Sorry, just couldn't resist the "American owners" mention.

I too am sure RG is looking for a return. Of course he is. I'm confident he will do it while keeping the spirit of the club in tact. I expect we're both of the same view.

I’ve no problem with it. I’ve long expected change to come. Whether I like it when it arrives is another thing. RG looks like a more dynamic owner that Farmer was and does appear willing to try new things. I’m ok with that for now.

Glory Lurker
20-10-2020, 09:47 PM
I’ve no problem with it. I’ve long expected change to come. Whether I like it when it arrives is another thing. RG looks like a more dynamic owner that Farmer was and does appear willing to try new things. I’m ok with that for now.

Agreed.

HoboHarry
20-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Can't stand this "the winner takes it all" attitude
They'll either be shouting Money, Money, Money or sending out an SOS......

Eyrie
20-10-2020, 10:34 PM
They'll either be shouting Money, Money, Money or sending out an SOS......

The sooner this proposal meets its Waterloo the better.

Scott Allan Key
21-10-2020, 01:21 AM
Sounds pretty horrendous to be honest. Football at that level is going to disappear up its own erse. The thing with getting more money is that you end up paying more for players so you’re not really that better off ...

That's it, the only people benefitting are the banker ****.

Scott Allan Key
21-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.Bayern had TV rights usurped when Aberdeen beat them in ECWC in '83. Wee club wasn't meant to do so and this was a genuine factor in changes that led to Champions League and freezing out of smaller clubs.

AgentDaleCooper
21-10-2020, 02:27 AM

If this went through, an atlantic league would be an absolute stick on.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 07:21 AM

They will salary cap the new league. The players will still be paid more than any other league could manage but they will operate like a cartel to protect the owners investment.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 07:22 AM

Almost certainly.

hibbysam
21-10-2020, 07:26 AM

Can I ask why? The teams that would be involved would barely come from the nations involved in an ‘Atlantic league’... If Hibs ended up in some super duper multi nations league and cutting off our ties to the rest of Scotland then that would be that for me. Thankfully it won’t happen.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Can I ask why? The teams that would be involved would barely come from the nations involved in an ‘Atlantic league’... If Hibs ended up in some super duper multi nations league and cutting off our ties to the rest of Scotland then that would be that for me. Thankfully it won’t happen.

I think you are kidding yourself. And if we didn’t and Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts went off to join it and we stayed behind, would you be happier?
The Atlantic league would have happened by now but for UEFA opposition to cross border leagues. That’s gone now so there will be movement soon. RG will be making sure we are part of it. That’s how he makes a big return on his investment.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 08:40 AM
I think you are kidding yourself. And if we didn’t and Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts went off to join it and we stayed behind, would you be happier?
The Atlantic league would have happened by now but for UEFA opposition to cross border leagues. That’s gone now so there will be movement soon. RG will be making sure we are part of it. That’s how he makes a big return on his investment.

I've no interest or desire in an Atlantic league. Even if it did happen, your being quite presumptuous. Would we even been in it? How many teams are gonna be involved, 18/20 and five of them are gonna be from Scotland :confused: Be lucky if it's 3 at most. But let's say for arguments sake your right and all nations involved do get 5 teams. Do you know what's less appealing than an Atlantic league, playing in the 2nd division of an Atlantic league against the 4th/5th best teams from leagues like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Belgium.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 08:43 AM
14 teams proposed in the original Atlantic league and guess what, we were and still would be nowhere close to being one of them.

lucky
21-10-2020, 08:46 AM
I've no interest or desire in an Atlantic league. Even if it did happen, your being quite presumptuous. Would we even been in it? How many teams are gonna be involved, 18/20 and five of them are gonna be from Scotland :confused: Be lucky if it's 3 at most. But let's say for arguments sake your right and all nations involved do get 5 teams. Do you know what's less appealing than an Atlantic league, playing in the 2nd division of an Atlantic league against the 4th/5th best teams from leagues like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Belgium.

Unfortunately that’s where we would end up, if Euro leagues come in fruition then we’ve got to be part of it otherwise we end up playing in a league against the OF colts and probably Aberdeen colts and Hearts colts. If the Euro leagues come we’ve got to be in it regardless of the level. But I hope they don’t as this nothing more than Americanising of European football.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Anything but an Atlantic league or some garbage. I'd rather watch a part time Hibs play at meadowbank or something.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league. In fact, you could add the Dutch and we would still make the top 18 best supported teams.

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Anything but an Atlantic league or some garbage. I'd rather watch a part time Hibs play at meadowbank or something.

same for me mate, and for many others I imagine.

it would be the end of my interest in football, which would be truly heartbreaking but there it is.

nonshinyfinish
21-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league.

That assumes there would be standard promotion and relegation between the divisions, which might not be true in the brave new world of US-style 'franchises'.

superfurryhibby
21-10-2020, 09:24 AM
No chance I'll be paying to watch Hibs v Rosenberg or whoever.

I can't see any of this ever coming to pass anyway. Even if it did, would there really be any greater interest for tv subscribers when comparing an Atlantic League to watching the SPL or whatever it's called these days?

Steve-O
21-10-2020, 09:25 AM
The current Champions League is long-winded guff and a European League would be even worse. No thanks

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 09:43 AM
The choice will not be between what we have now and an Atlantic league. The choice will be between being left behind after Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts move on or going with them.

JohnM1875
21-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league. In fact, you could add the Dutch and we would still make the top 18 best supported teams.

Why on earth would they base it on crowd size when they have a coefficient system?

I've not checked, but I'd assume we'd definitely not be in the top 18 if they were to use that.

Also, why would an Atlantic League be a stick on if this were to happen?

As far as I can see, this European Premier League will likely take over the Champions League place. They'll still be playing in their domestic leagues?

Genuinely can't see the appeal of an Atlantic League.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 10:43 AM

It's not just based on crowd sizes though is it. If it was, why would Celtic and rangers be desperate to leave. I'm sure clubs like HJK Helsinki are looking at the prospect of an Atlantic league and thinking to themselves, know what would be good, if they set up this league and gave Scotland 5 teams in it that all start in the top league while we start in the 2nd division with all the other teams from the Finland and teams like Viking FK, FC Midtjylland, IFK Norrkoping who I'm sure are all of a similar opinion.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure of actual crowds in any of these leagues but if we were going by stadium capacity and including the Dutch, I'm not sure we would be top 18. Maybe but would be at a push. Other than Finland all the other leagues have teams with bigger stadiums than ER.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 11:25 AM
So out of curiosity and going buy who I think would be top 5 teams from the Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Finnish leagues the following teams have bigger stadiums than ER.
Celtic.
Rangers.
Aberdeen.
AIK.
Djurgardens.
Hammarby.
Malmo.
Rosenborg.
Ajax.
Feyenoord.
PSV.
FC Twente.
*Heerenveen.
Club Bruge.
Standard Liege.
Genk.
Anderlecht.
Brondby.
Aarhus.
FC Copenhagen.
* Not sure Heerenveen would be one of the top 5 Dutch clubs but a few other Dutch clubs have bigger stadiums than ER anyway.
HJK Helsinki are currently trying to get their capacity extended to 25000 so that would be another club to add to the list.

No chance we'd be in the top division to start off with.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 11:34 AM
So out of curiosity and going buy who I think would be top 5 teams from the Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Finnish leagues the following teams have bigger stadiums than ER.
Celtic.
Rangers.
Aberdeen.
AIK.
Djurgardens.
Hammarby.
Malmo.
Rosenborg.
Ajax.
Feyenoord.
PSV.
FC Twente.
*Heerenveen.
Club Bruge.
Standard Liege.
Genk.
Anderlecht.
Brondby.
Aarhus.
FC Copenhagen.
* Not sure Heerenveen would be one of the top 5 Dutch clubs but a few other Dutch clubs have bigger stadiums than ER anyway.
HJK Helsinki are currently trying to get their capacity extended to 25000 so that would be another club to add to the list.

No chance we'd be in the top division to start off with.

This was compiled in 2018 when Hibs crowds were higher due to cup win bounce.

Atlantic league
2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
Feyenoord 45,419
Celtic 44,849
New Rangers 45,415
PSV 32,465
FC Twente 28,518
Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
Club Brugge (Belguim) 24,430
Herenveen 24,314
AIK (Sweden) 20,983
Anderlecht 20,675
Genk (Belguim) 20,590
Standard Liege (Belguim) 20,415
Groningen 20,193
NAC Breda 18,112
Rosenborg (Norway) 18,039
Hibs 18,000
Hearts 18,000
Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
Vitesse 17,212
Utrecht 16,646
AZ Alkmaar 15,512
Djurgardens IF (Sweden) 15,484
FC Copenhagen (Denmark) 15,448
Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
IFK Gothenborg (Sweden) 14,350
Aberdeen 13,094
PEC Zwolle 12,213
Willem II 12,099
ADO Den Haag 11,976
IFK Norkoping (Sweden) 10,296
Viking FK (Norway) 10,272
SK Brann (Norway) 10,124
KV Mechelan (Belguim)10,160
Valerenga IF (Norway) 10,099
KAA Gent (Belguim) 10,090

Tv market
Holland 17m
Belguim 11m
Sweden 10m
Denmark 5.6m
Scotland 5.5m
Norway 5.1m
Total 52mi

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2020, 11:36 AM
The choice will not be between what we have now and an Atlantic league. The choice will be between being left behind after Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts move on or going with them.

back to the meadows it is then for AFC Hibernian against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC.

150 odd years of tradition and heritage thrown on the scrap heap for some crap sterile Euro League against teams we have zero connection with... no thanks

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 11:37 AM
I think the Dutch and the Belgians will go their own way anyway. I think it will be us and the Scandinavians or we will merge with what’s left of the English leagues.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 11:38 AM
back to the meadows it is then for AFC Hibernian against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC.

150 odd years of tradition and heritage thrown on the scrap heap for some crap sterile Euro League against teams we have zero connection with... no thanks

Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

matty_f
21-10-2020, 11:50 AM
I'd happily see us participate in an Euro league of some description so long as it wasn't at the expense of the domestic game - that said, I'd rather see us playing decent sized European opposition than going through the group stages of the league cup (maybe that is an opportunity to play a Colts team for their development etc?).

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

im not certain supporters (of all clubs involved) will be as compliant or easily led as you think.

superfurryhibby
21-10-2020, 11:51 AM
I think the Dutch and the Belgians will go their own way anyway. I think it will be us and the Scandinavians or we will merge with what’s left of the English leagues.

What makes you so certain this will happen?

Billy Whizz
21-10-2020, 11:53 AM

Scandinavian’s play in a summer league don’t they?

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2020, 12:00 PM

No, they won't. No one is going to Norway on a Wednesday night. Away days are a huge huge part of supporting a club. This would kill it dead. That and ultimately passionless games, no away fans at ER, all games being on TV. Club might be rich but it would be dead on the surface. No thanks.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 12:05 PM
im not certain supporters (of all clubs involved) will be as compliant or easily led as you think.

Football fans will eat whatever **** sandwich they are served. Always have done.
Champions league becomes more of a closed shop every year but fans just shrug their shoulders. Rangers cheat the whole Scottish game for 8 years and nobody says boo.
The minute RG says this is good for Hibs, 90% of fans will start agreeing with him.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 12:06 PM
What makes you so certain this will happen?

There is serious money involved.

Duke of Currie
21-10-2020, 12:12 PM

Thing is a lot of current football fans wil think the same, just in the same way 25 years ago the Premiership was exciting to watch on Sky TV. These decisions about setting up new leagues are made for future generations to come , and whilst you might not be interested , the legions of young supporters who would rather watch English football rather than Scottish football will just as quickly be replaced by new fans wanting to watch a European league.
Many overseas fans support a brand, not a team , so if they move from a domestic league to a pan european league , they wont care , as long as they can watch their team on the tv and buy the merchandise, and that is where the money is and thats what will drive this or an Atlantic league or any other variation.
Are Hibs a strong enough brand ? No , so if these leagues take off, a decreasing number of fans will watch Hibs until they get bored at the standard and then Hibs and many other clubs will slowly disappear while the rich get richer

Bishop Hibee
21-10-2020, 12:22 PM
Thing is a lot of current football fans wil think the same, just in the same way 25 years ago the Premiership was exciting to watch on Sky TV. These decisions about setting up new leagues are made for future generations to come , and whilst you might not be interested , the legions of young supporters who would rather watch English football rather than Scottish football will just as quickly be replaced by new fans wanting to watch a European league.
Many overseas fans support a brand, not a team , so if they move from a domestic league to a pan european league , they wont care , as long as they can watch their team on the tv and buy the merchandise, and that is where the money is and thats what will drive this or an Atlantic league or any other variation.
Are Hibs a strong enough brand ? No , so if these leagues take off, a decreasing number of fans will watch Hibs until they get bored at the standard and then Hibs and many other clubs will slowly disappear while the rich get richer

Hibs will never disappear because of a Euro League. Our crowds have increased in spite of the EPL. People will always enjoy seeing games in the raw not the sterilised Sky TV tourist version.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 12:38 PM
Hibs will never disappear because of a Euro League. Our crowds have increased in spite of the EPL. People will always enjoy seeing games in the raw not the sterilised Sky TV tourist version.

The quality of player we watch now has decreased since I started watching. It used to be that we could compete for players with championship level clubs in England. Lately we have been losing out to league 1 teams( their new salary cap may help).
People enjoy watching live football and Hibs have a value but we should aim to maximise it. Standing still will really mean moving backwards.
I think if we are not in there shaping our destiny then other clubs will choose it for us.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 01:05 PM
This was compiled in 2018 when Hibs crowds were higher due to cup win bounce.

Atlantic league
2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
Feyenoord 45,419
Celtic 44,849
New Rangers 45,415
PSV 32,465
FC Twente 28,518
Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
Club Brugge (Belguim) 24,430
Herenveen 24,314
AIK (Sweden) 20,983
Anderlecht 20,675
Genk (Belguim) 20,590
Standard Liege (Belguim) 20,415
Groningen 20,193
NAC Breda 18,112
Rosenborg (Norway) 18,039
Hibs 18,000
Hearts 18,000
Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
Vitesse 17,212
Utrecht 16,646
AZ Alkmaar 15,512
Djurgardens IF (Sweden) 15,484
FC Copenhagen (Denmark) 15,448
Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
IFK Gothenborg (Sweden) 14,350
Aberdeen 13,094
PEC Zwolle 12,213
Willem II 12,099
ADO Den Haag 11,976
IFK Norkoping (Sweden) 10,296
Viking FK (Norway) 10,272
SK Brann (Norway) 10,124
KV Mechelan (Belguim)10,160
Valerenga IF (Norway) 10,099
KAA Gent (Belguim) 10,090

Tv market
Holland 17m
Belguim 11m
Sweden 10m
Denmark 5.6m
Scotland 5.5m
Norway 5.1m
Total 52mi

Complied by who? HJK HELSINKI aren't on that list and they've been part of the plans/talk of an Atlantic league since the start. Also teams like Molde are missing out and there is way to many Dutch teams.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 01:08 PM
Complied by who? HJK HELSINKI aren't on that list and they've been part of the plans/talk of an Atlantic league since the start. Also teams like Molde are missing out and there is way to many Dutch teams.

Both those teams average attendance is below 10k

Since90+2
21-10-2020, 01:09 PM
No, they won't. No one is going to Norway on a Wednesday night. Away days are a huge huge part of supporting a club. This would kill it dead. That and ultimately passionless games, no away fans at ER, all games being on TV. Club might be rich but it would be dead on the surface. No thanks.

Away days are a huge part of supporting the club but for a small percentage of supporters.

Hibs average attendance is in the region of 16/17000 and our away attendance is around 10% of that. Meaning for around 90% of the support away days are either something that only happens once or twice a season or never at all.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Away days are a huge part of supporting the club but for a small percentage of supporters.

Hibs average attendance is in the region of 16/17000 and our away attendance is around 10% of that. Meaning for around 90% of the support away days are either something that only happens once or twice a season or never at all.

Correct. Vast majority of fans would happily sacrifice away days to watch a better standard of football.

hibbysam
21-10-2020, 01:36 PM
The quality of player we watch now has decreased since I started watching. It used to be that we could compete for players with championship level clubs in England. Lately we have been losing out to league 1 teams( their new salary cap may help).
People enjoy watching live football and Hibs have a value but we should aim to maximise it. Standing still will really mean moving backwards.
I think if we are not in there shaping our destiny then other clubs will choose it for us.

A closed shop ‘Atlantic league’ does nothing for us. Might make us money, I disagree and don’t think it will, however it would be a pointless exercise lacking excitement and for what? Us to be richer than we are now, making folk money but ultimately costing the paying punter far more. No idea why anyone would want us to be franchised like the Americans just so we are richer than we are now. It wouldn’t bring us any new fans, and it would lose us thousands, and would kill the domestic game as it is now.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 01:37 PM
A closed shop ‘Atlantic league’ does nothing for us. Might make us money, I disagree and don’t think it will, however it would be a pointless exercise lacking excitement and for what? Us to be richer than we are now, making folk money but ultimately costing the paying punter far more. No idea why anyone would want us to be franchised like the Americans just so we are richer than we are now. It wouldn’t bring us any new fans, and it would lose us thousands, and would kill the domestic game as it is now.

There are loads of assumptions in there that people could disagree with.

hibbysam
21-10-2020, 01:42 PM
There are loads of assumptions in there that people could disagree with.

Exactly like the stance you take. You assume hibs would jump at leaving Scotland, you assume fans would swallow it, you assume (as per previous post on this topic) that we would still compete in a Scottish cup, you assume we would even be welcome. It would be the end of Hibs as it is now, no doubt about that.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Both those teams average attendance is below 10k

HJK have been involved in Atlantic league talks and would 100% be in. Like I said earlier, their trying to get their capacity extended to 25,000. They are the biggest team in Finland and I'm sure that Celtic, Ajax, Anderlecht, AIK would rather have them in the league and therefore opening up the Finnish TV market as opposed to us or Aberdeen. Their still gonna get the Scottish tv money either way
Molde are just an example of a descent well run successful club. Your looking at their crowd levels and just dismissing them there and then. Basically your doing to them what rangers and celtic have done to us for years.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Exactly like the stance you take. You assume hibs would jump at leaving Scotland, you assume fans would swallow it, you assume (as per previous post on this topic) that we would still compete in a Scottish cup, you assume we would even be welcome. It would be the end of Hibs as it is now, no doubt about that.

Were/have we ever been invited to take part in any of these talks? As far as im aware we haven't. Thats alright though because we are still going. Forget about clubs like HJK who have actually held talks with the other clubs involved. They don't mater cause we get bigger crowds than them.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 01:57 PM
HJK have been involved in Atlantic league talks and would 100% be in. Like I said earlier, their trying to get their capacity extended to 25,000. They are the biggest team in Finland and I'm sure that Celtic, Ajax, Anderlecht, AIK would rather have them in the league and therefore opening up the Finnish TV market as opposed to us or Aberdeen. Their still gonna get the Scottish tv money either way
Molde are just an example of a descent well run successful club. Your looking at their crowd levels and just dismissing them there and then. Basically your doing to them what rangers and celtic have done to us for years.

It’s not me dismissing them. This will be about money. It will be about clubs with the biggest fan bases. HJK Helsinki average less than 5k per game. I just don’t think they would be involved.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 01:58 PM

The end of Hibs? No doubt about it?[emoji23]

DH1875
21-10-2020, 02:04 PM
My understanding of it is that at the last round of talks there were 14 teams involved. Those teams were;
Rangers.
Celtic.
PSV.
Ajax.
Feyenoord.
Anderlecht.
Standard Liege.
Club Brugge.
FC Copenhagen.
Brondby.
Malmo.
AIK.
HJK.
Rosenborg.

Some big teams missing there and no sign of us or Aberdeen or Hearts yet alone all 3 of us.

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2020, 02:10 PM
My understanding of it is that at the last round of talks there were 14 teams involved. Those teams were;
Rangers.
Celtic.
PSV.
Ajax.
Feyenoord.
Anderlecht.
Standard Liege.
Club Brugge.
FC Copenhagen.
Brondby.
Malmo.
AIK.
HJK.
Rosenborg.

Some big teams missing there and no sign of us or Aberdeen or Hearts yet alone all 3 of us.

hard to believe a massive club and brand like Ajax wouldn’t be in the European Premier league or whatever they want to call it. Even harder to believe Hibs would be included in a league with some of those big names.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 02:11 PM
It’s not me dismissing them. This will be about money. It will be about clubs with the biggest fan bases. HJK Helsinki average less than 5k per game. I just don’t think they would be involved.

It is you dismissing them though. They have already been part of the talks for the Atlantic league. If the other clubs didn't want them, why have they ALREADY been invited to the table?Like I said earlier, have we ever been invited to the table? It's not just about home gates. By having them there you open up another whole TV market. People from all Finland would watch their games.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 02:12 PM
Rangers.
Celtic.
PSV.
Ajax.
Feyenoord.
Anderlecht.
Standard Liege.
Club Brugge.
FC Copenhagen.
Brondby.
Malmo.
AIK.
HJK.
Rosenborg.

I’m not saying that we will def be involved, just that if it goes ahead and we are not then I think it will be very bad for Hibs.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 02:16 PM
It is you dismissing them though. They have already been part of the talks for the Atlantic league. If the other clubs didn't want them, why have they ALREADY been invited to the table?Like I said earlier, have we ever been invited to the table? It's not just about home gates. By having them there you open up another whole TV market. People from all Finland would watch their games.

And that is a very good point. If they show they can bring money to the table then they will get in.
I don’t know if any of this will happen. I think it’s more likely the Dutch and Belgians go and do their own thing.
I am certain that when moves start to happen that Celtic and Rangers will make a move. Aberdeen will quickly follow and that Hibs and Hearts will have a decision to make.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 02:16 PM
hard to believe a massive club and brand like Ajax wouldn’t be in the European Premier league or whatever they want to call it. Even harder to believe Hibs would be included in a league with some of those big names.

Messed up isn't it. Just shows how ridiculous European football has become that Ajax would have to be part of this. Not from a top 5 league and not seen as being in top 18 clubs despite being bigger than the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 02:27 PM
One thing about HJK is if they only get 5k fans at games then it will be taken into account how that looks on TV. There will be presentational criteria.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2020, 02:44 PM

The average amount of Hibs fans in attendance is significantly less than 17k. Nearer 14k for most games. We'd have a lower attendance straight off the bat, with no guarantee of this being a success.

Thankfully, it's not happening.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 02:52 PM
The average amount of Hibs fans in attendance is significantly less than 17k. Nearer 14k for most games. We'd have a lower attendance straight off the bat, with no guarantee of this being a success.

Thankfully, it's not happening.

Why would we have a lower attendance?

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2020, 02:53 PM

No away fans? And plenty won't be for this.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 03:00 PM
No away fans? And plenty won't be for this.

Pretty sure with the right marketing we could replace the 250 St. Mirren fans with home fans for a visit from Malmo or Ajax.

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2020, 03:04 PM
Pretty sure with the right marketing we could replace the 250 St. Mirren fans with home fans for a visit from Malmo or Ajax.

it’s only a handful of years since there were thousands of empty seats for derby matches against hearts...

and I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to suggest several thousand Hibs fans might want nothing to do with this.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2020, 03:10 PM

I'm sure Ajax will be ****ing buzzing to partner up with Hibs :faf:

Nae chance. It's just not happening and rightly so.

The Spaceman
21-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Our home crowds would be consistent sell-outs if we played in a league of such quality. Hibs would attract better quality footballers, have more money and play against exotic/well-known sides, so would definitely boost the commercial product.

I would rather we didn't abandon our Scottish roots though and maybe pursued this "Euro League" as more of a new cup competition? Would kill Scottish Football if any teams went for this sort of thing as a replacement for the current league set-ups.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Our home crowds would be consistent sell-outs if we played in a league of such quality. Hibs would attract better quality footballers, have more money and play against exotic/well-known sides, so would definitely boost the commercial product.

I would rather we didn't abandon our Scottish roots though and maybe pursued this "Euro League" as more of a new cup competition? Would kill Scottish Football if any teams went for this sort of thing as a replacement for the current league set-ups.

There is truth in that second paragraph but I just can’t see it not happening.
The big clubs in the big countries will get what they want and at that point the rest will be looking for solutions for themselves. Celtic, Rangers, Ajax etc will jump as soon as they get a chance. Whether there will be room for Hibs when they do jump is another matter. Can’t see it not happening though so it’s better to be looking to shape the future rather than just let it happen to us.

Since90+2
21-10-2020, 03:24 PM
There is truth in that second paragraph but I just can’t see it not happening.
The big clubs in the big countries will get what they want and at that point the rest will be looking for solutions for themselves. Celtic, Rangers, Ajax etc will jump as soon as they get a chance. Whether there will be room for Hibs when they do jump is another matter. Can’t see it not happening though so it’s better to be looking to shape the future rather than just let it happen to us.

You are assuming the Dutch teams would be interested. I don't think they would be as it would make more sense for then to join with Belgium.

Take out the Dutch and Belgiun sides and suddenly it doesn't look anywhere near as exciting. Travel costs alone to parts of Scandinavia would be high for the club let alone fans.

If teams like Ajax, PSV , Anderlecht and Standard Liege were in it I think alot of fans would buy into it. I don't think they would be in it though and it's then a completely different proposition.

EI255
21-10-2020, 03:27 PM

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournamentThe CL is dull enough without this!

Please no.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

hibbysam
21-10-2020, 03:42 PM
The end of Hibs? No doubt about it?[emoji23]

As we are just now, absolutely. Even if some bought into it, it would divide a fan base massively. We wouldn’t be competing in Scotland, we would effectively ending our community club stuff. I’m glad you ignored all the other points. It’s a complete fantasy and you’ve turned full circle from hibs will be involved, to there’s no guarantee we’ll be involved. You’ve also cut out the biggest market by saying the Dutch and Belgians won’t be involved and you still think it’ll be some super duper massive league. Anything that kills the domestic game in Scotland is a massive no from me, and many others.

We want salary caps and ***** brought in to bring us closer to the top, yet want to abandon those below us as soon as the first opportunity of more money arrives 😂

Hate rangers as they’ve cheated us for years and want them binned, but want them involved in this new league as it maximises our revenues!

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 03:43 PM
You are assuming the Dutch teams would be interested. I don't think they would be as it would make more sense for then to join with Belgium.

Take out the Dutch and Belgiun sides and suddenly it doesn't look anywhere near as exciting. Travel costs alone to parts of Scandinavia would be high for the club let alone fans.

If teams like Ajax, PSV , Anderlecht and Standard Liege were in it I think alot of fans would buy into it. I don't think they would be in it though and it's then a completely different proposition.

I’m not assuming anything. I’ve already said I think the Dutch will go their own way but who knows? Maybe we do it just with Dutch and the Belgians?
I’ve no idea how this ends up but I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t carry on like it is now.

Since90+2
21-10-2020, 03:55 PM
I’m not assuming anything. I’ve already said I think the Dutch will go their own way but who knows? Maybe we do it just with Dutch and the Belgians?
I’ve no idea how this ends up but I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t carry on like it is now.

I mentioned the Dutch as Ajax was one of two teams who you said would bring big crowds hence I thought your point was Dutch teams would be involved.

Malthibby
21-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Capitalism likes to pretend it is built on competition - this whole CL thing demonstrates it's nothing of the sort, just a cartel of the richest trying to make sure they get richer without even bothering with the competitive bit.
Sanctioned corruption. Me no like.

DH1875
21-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Why do the Dutch teams want to be part of an Atlantic league? Erm........money. I'm completely against the idea and don't think It'll happen. Either way we won't be part of it.
The Dutch clubs; PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord are like Rangers and Celtic, they dont care about other clubs in their country/league. Their proposal is ONE DIVISION of 16/18 teams of which these 3 clubs would be part of it. The Dutch league currently gets around £65million a year from TV money which they have to share with with everyone else. It's not even in the top 10 TV deals and is behind countries like Turkey, Brazil and even Belgium. I've no idea how they come about these figures but they reckon that an Atlantic league of 16/18 teams will make over £400million per season in TV revenue. If that's true then you see why they and the likes of rangers and celtic want to go for it. £400million might seem a lot but it's only the same as what the likes of Turkey are getting each season (who knew).
In short, stay in Holland and split £65million between 18 or join Atlantic league and share £400million between 18.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Capitalism likes to pretend it is built on competition - this whole CL thing demonstrates it's nothing of the sort, just a cartel of the richest trying to make sure they get richer without even bothering with the competitive bit.
Sanctioned corruption. Me no like.

Thats exactly what they want to do. They want to be guaranteed the money every year. Man Utd hate having to qualify for top 4 every year. The want a Euro league as a closed shop. As soon as it happens they will likely agree a salary cap as well to ensure more money goes to the owners.
When you see big investment bank under writing £6bn of start up costs you know it’s going to happen one way or another. Most likely by UEFA giving the clubs everything they ask for in a closed champions league. They can’t afford to lose them.
After that happens then there will be all sorts of goings on underneath that level. Maybe it will be uefa who set up regional leagues?
There is so much money available that it’s hard not to see something happening.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2020, 07:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201027/da6a5733711819c5771476ae7febd816.jpg

Pagan Hibernia
27-10-2020, 10:27 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201027/da6a5733711819c5771476ae7febd816.jpg

I imagine Barcelona’s members will have to approve such a move and that’s nowhere near a foregone conclusion.

Jones28
28-10-2020, 08:06 AM
The CL is dull enough without this!

Please no.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What is it's purpose? To replace the champions league? Or is it to save the big teams from playing the less glamorous ties and just playing other behemoths?

Jones28
28-10-2020, 08:09 AM
This is all nonsense. For a start, the Atlantic doesn't have anything to do with it. It should be called the North Sea Super Cup.

Then would it be a closed format? So no relegations or promotions? The biggest teams from five of europes relative diddy leagues have an annual dick measuring contest without the prospect of dropping back in to their own countries league?

Keith_M
28-10-2020, 08:51 AM
The Dutch league currently gets around £65million a year from TV money which they have to share with with everyone else. It's not even in the top 10 TV deals and is behind countries like Turkey, Brazil and even Belgium. ...

It's not really that much of a surprise for the first two, as Turkey's population is 83 million and Brazil's over 300 million (the Netherlands is 17 million)

Both countries are crazy about football.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2020, 09:28 AM

You can count me out, I never even knew there was European games on TV last night until I saw the reporting of it on here.

Ozyhibby
29-10-2020, 10:22 AM
I imagine Barcelona’s members will have to approve such a move and that’s nowhere near a foregone conclusion.

You have more faith in Barca fans loyalty to Spain than me.

jgl07
29-10-2020, 04:50 PM
There will be a massive backlash from fans of clubs who are supposed to be involved in such a venture.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 11:24 AM
So the Champions League is moving towards an NFL style Conference fixture schedule where there are 36 teams who each play 10 games where a league table is then formed on the back of each teams 10 games.

The top 8 then go through with the next 16 teams playing a knockout round to reach the last 16 proper where it is knockout.

Strength of schedule will be a big factor in this new format.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Will the other European Tournaments follow the same format?

04Sauzee
30-03-2021, 01:16 PM
So the Champions League is moving towards an NFL style Conference fixture schedule where there are 36 teams who each play 10 games where a league table is then formed on the back of each teams 10 games.

The top 8 then go through with the next 16 teams playing a knockout round to reach the last 16 proper where it is knockout.

Not a big fan tbh

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1376813111961923585?s=19

Ozyhibby
30-03-2021, 02:25 PM
https://www.footballcritic.com/amp/article.php?uid=3306&__twitter_impression=true

.Sean.
30-03-2021, 03:28 PM

What a load of pish

Eyrie
30-03-2021, 06:28 PM
The main impact for the real football world is that UEFA are demanding another four exclusive midweeks for their bloated moneyfest.

jgl07
31-03-2021, 02:36 AM
The Group Stages of the Champions' League are long enough at six matches. Expanding this to ten matches will make it even more tedious.

The competition only comes to life at the knock-out stages.

jacomo
31-03-2021, 11:11 AM
https://www.footballcritic.com/amp/article.php?uid=3306&__twitter_impression=true

Urgh.

The relentless amoral logic of capitalism continues.

Even if - and it’s a big if - a powerful new American or Asian championship develops, why is it inevitable that Europe must follow suit?

jgl07
01-04-2021, 12:42 AM
Urgh.

The relentless amoral logic of capitalism continues.

Even if - and it’s a big if - a powerful new American or Asian championship develops, why is it inevitable that Europe must follow suit?
A bit far fetched? I don’t see anything emerging from North America or Asia in the next ten to fifteen years.

There is no demand from supporters, certainly not in England, to replace National Competitions with any European wide entity.

Clarence
01-04-2021, 05:54 AM
The draw of this competition has diminished steadily over the years for me as the games just become more and more repetitive. This format will just make that worse but it must be appealing to millions of armchair fans otherwise they wouldn’t do it.