PDA

View Full Version : Var

PatHead
17-10-2020, 10:39 PM
Watching the highlights of the Everton match and it reminds me why I am against VAR.

Imagine us scoring a winning goal in injury time in a derby and it being disallowed by a bawhair.

The whole setup has left more questions than answers.

Is anyone still in favour of it?

Sammy7nil
17-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Lots of people are in favour. It needs work but surely getting more decisions correct is a food thing and taking the decision away from one man helps with corruption.

Glory Lurker
17-10-2020, 10:49 PM
France's penalty in the world cup final was never a penalty. It's a flawed system because it still comes down to human judgement, and humans are, well, human.

Paul1642
17-10-2020, 10:49 PM
For me it should only be used for hugely wrong decisions. Disallowing a goal because the striker was 0.1 inches offside may technically be correct but it’s killing the game, just like the stupid hand ball rule.

DH1875
17-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Don't like var and wouldn't thank you for it.

Ryan91
17-10-2020, 11:04 PM
For me it should only be used for hugely wrong decisions. Disallowing a goal because the striker was 0.1 inches offside may technically be correct but it’s killing the game, just like the stupid hand ball rule.

If you're having to draw lines and look where peoples elbows, toes, nose, hair etc. are to determine if it's offside, it's not offside.

If you're going to be ruling out goals etc, it needs to be CLEAR evidence for overturning the decision.

PatHead
17-10-2020, 11:27 PM
If you're having to draw lines and look where peoples elbows, toes, nose, hair etc. are to determine if it's offside, it's not offside.

If you're going to be ruling out goals etc, it needs to be CLEAR evidence for overturning the decision.

That is where I am with it but leads to the problem of what is clear.

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-10-2020, 11:35 PM

Yep. Obvious decisions fair enough, but if your talking about having to replay several times to determine whether a a player was a fraction of an inch offside that could never have been seen by the naked eye, nah. It takes away all the raw emotion of enjoying a goal when its been scored. Glad we dont have it here, even if he does go against us.

Hibee Mac
17-10-2020, 11:38 PM
VAR is a mess on all fronts, fan experience, accuracy of decisions (offsides at least) and it simply creates more controversy than we had before.

Now we just talk about VAR after a game rather than the referees decisions in real time (right or wrong). It's exactly the same as before haha

HoboHarry
18-10-2020, 12:02 AM
Liverpool should ask for a still shot of the image(s) that led to the offside decision today. I'd like to see it myself.....

pontius pilate
18-10-2020, 05:00 AM
Would I be correct in saying that it was Henderson's elbow that was in an offside position? If so then the goal should have stood as I thought the rule was you are offside if any part of your body from which you can score a goal with is offside however you cant score a goal with your elbow because then it would be handball and not offside, again I may be completely wrong on all points

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Future17
18-10-2020, 06:17 AM
Would I be correct in saying that it was Henderson's elbow that was in an offside position? If so then the goal should have stood as I thought the rule was you are offside if any part of your body from which you can score a goal with is offside however you cant score a goal with your elbow because then it would be handball and not offside, again I may be completely wrong on all points

It wasn't Henderson who was classed as offside.

pontius pilate
18-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Yeah I've since read it was made, the point still stands he couldn't have been offside because of his elbow as you cant score with your arm

pontius pilate
18-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Yeah I've since read it was mane, the point still stands he couldn't have been offside because of his elbow as you cant score with your arm

at last 61
18-10-2020, 06:38 AM
Leighs goal against hearts all for var if its used the right way

Tyler Durden
18-10-2020, 07:00 AM
Other countries don’t seem to have the problems England do. Germany and Italy seem to use it more for “clear and obvious errors” which I believe is what the rules dictated. So that Liverpool goal would stand in those leagues

In the EPL their approach is bizarre and leads to all these goals being disallowed that nobody would even claim are offside.

How has Mane gained any advantage yesterday? Is there even any explicit proof that any part of him was offside? What is the margin for error there? It’s ruining the game in England

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2020, 07:23 AM
Yes, very much in favour of it. VAR doesn't make decisions, the refs operating it do. Been very few problems in other countries with it.

J-C
18-10-2020, 07:50 AM
Offsides should be more clear cut and like yesterday's it should've been a goal, when it's so marginal the decision should go to the attacker.

Magpie
18-10-2020, 08:10 AM
I have been in favour of it from the very beginning but they are causing so much controversy from being inconsistent with decisions that I’m starting to get fed up of it. Hopefully they can come up with a solution to cover the cracks and it can be a good addition to the game.

If it was to be abolished you can just guarantee that a clear offside will cost a team a cup final or something major and then the calls to have it reintroduced will be there.

Bristolhibby
18-10-2020, 08:10 AM
That is where I am with it but leads to the problem of what is clear.

Also, offside is digital. It’s off or it’s not.

There can be no margins. If there is, what would the margin be? 5cm, clear light?

It’s a tough one.

J

Bristolhibby
18-10-2020, 08:12 AM

The double Handball v Falkirk at home in the Championship playoffs.

Clear VAR Penalty.

J

Magpie
18-10-2020, 08:15 AM
Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd last season the ball was clearly over the line for all to see but goal line technology wasn’t working.. VAR official could easily have told the ref it was a goal within seconds. I know that VAR doesn’t cover this but if it’s there to help the referee with clear and obvious mistakes why not get involved? That ultimately cost Bournemouth relegation.

Another small thing, yesterday it was a clear corner to Arsenal in the last minute of injury time, we could all see it from the replay within seconds. VAR could have again put a whisper into the ref’s ear to let him know it was a corner by the time the goalkeeper even put the ball down for a goal kick.

These are of course just my views on how it could be more helpful.

Eyrie
18-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Cricket, rugby and the NFL all have something similar without the same issues that football has.

The solution is to limit the time spent and number of times each angle can be viewed, because that way any decision which is clearly wrong will be identified and the marginal decisions will stay with the call on the pitch.

None of this "the player was offside because, on the thirty seventh viewing and at 200x magnification, the wind blew the player's hair forward to the extent that it obscures a pixel of a line drawn where a computer thinks a line should be". Meanwhile half the fans have left to catch the last bus/train home.

JimBHibees
18-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Offsides should be more clear cut and like yesterday's it should've been a goal, when it's so marginal the decision should go to the attacker.

Yep there should be some sort of tolerance built into the system offside by millimetres is nonsense.

HibbyAndy
18-10-2020, 08:30 AM
The double Handball v Falkirk at home in the Championship playoffs.

Clear VAR Penalty.

J

Oli Shaw goal at tinpotcastle tae

Sioux
18-10-2020, 08:31 AM
Also, offside is digital. It’s off or it’s not.

There can be no margins. If there is, what would the margin be? 5cm, clear light?

It’s a tough one.

J

Surely the main problem is that when a goal is scored, the VAR folks are automatically looking for a reason to disallow it. That cannot be right. Not only for an offside decision, but for anything that can be used to rule that the goal shouldn't stand, hand ball, a push or a shove, a foul tackle in the build up etc etc

But we never see VAR used when players are diving all over the place when there is the most minimal of contact. A physically strong athlete falling on the ground with the same force as a 5 year old bumping into him - "the young lad made contact with me in the tea and coffee aisle, therefore I was entitled to go down" If that's not bringing the game into disrepute, what is?

PatHead
18-10-2020, 08:33 AM

That would have been goal line technology rather than VAR. Definitely in favour of that because it is not subjective.

Hibs4185
18-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Is the solution perhaps a time limit on the decision being made?

if it’s glaringly obvious you will see it within 30 secs, if it’s a bawhair and you need 2-3 mins then it’s too close to call and therefore allowed to stand.

also means it keeps the flow of the game and fans can countdown to the goal being allowed or whatever. Adds a bit of excitement

Hibee Mac
18-10-2020, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure how you fix the offside issues that VAR has.

As someone pointed out earlier, the main problem is that the existing system does not appear to take account of margin for error. The lines are drawn by a person clicking where they think it should go, the angle of the lines is estimated, the cameras might not be the perfect angle, a person has to estimate the frame in which the ball leaves the foot of the passer, the list could go on and on...

Everything above points to there being a reasonable margin for error on both of the lines that get drawn on the screen, attacker and defender. The visual effect of this would be that the lines are actually much thicker and the "real line" would land somewhere within that line but no one knows for sure.

With all of that in mind, how can anyone disallow a goal by a millimetre using VAR and call it anything other than arbitrary guesswork?

heretoday
18-10-2020, 10:35 AM
They should just do away with it and revert to the old swings and roundabouts. Keep the goalline technology though!

PatHead
18-10-2020, 11:16 AM
They should just do away with it and revert to the old swings and roundabouts. Keep the goalline technology though!

That is where I am at.

Pagan Hibernia
18-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Hate it with a passion. Hope we never see it in Scotland.

i for one like the controversial decisions that you can argue about in the pub (in normal circumstances).

Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they go against you. That’s life.

brog
18-10-2020, 11:46 AM
There's nothing wrong with VAR. In years to come we'll take it for granted. It's the application of it, as with every other human decision that causes problems. I didn't watch after match yesterday so have no idea why the goal was disallowed. However if lino had flagged for offside & there was no VAR we would have thought it was a wrong decision & been calling for VAR IN order to allow the goal. Remember in 2 of our early games last season, Elgin & St M IIRC, we were denied goals that were 2 yards onside. Anything that improves the accuracy of decision making must surely be good for the game.

Dr What If?
18-10-2020, 11:46 AM
If the Liverpool game was a test case then VAR would be dead in the water. The goal was not offside AND Everton should have been down to 10 men for serious foul play. Its heart braking when your on the wrong end of a wrong decision and hence I've been in favour....my memory of the 2012 qualifier against the Czech's....needed a win and we were 2-1 up, they got a last minute penalty where the tv pictures showed no contact, a clear dive. To make it worse a minute after they equalised we went straight down the park and Berra goes down in their box...ref waves play on but (and this still hurts) tv showed in this case there was contact and it was a penalty!
In that example we can say at full speed during a game the ref can't see everything and therefore, mistakes happen. VAR was meant to remove that but yesterday shows it can make it a lot, lot worse. Also, pretty sure it wasn't designed to stop the game for 5 minutes every time the ball goes anywhere near the box.

brog
18-10-2020, 11:51 AM
If the Liverpool game was a test case then VAR would be dead in the water. The goal was not offside AND Everton should have been down to 10 men for serious foul play. Its heart braking when your on the wrong end of a wrong decision and hence I've been in favour....my memory of the 2012 qualifier against the Czech's....needed a win and we were 2-1 up, they got a last minute penalty where the tv pictures showed no contact, a clear dive. To make it worse a minute after they equalised we went straight down the park and Berra goes down in their box...ref waves play on but (and this still hurts) tv showed in this case there was contact and it was a penalty!
In that example we can say at full speed during a game the ref can't see everything and therefore, mistakes happen. VAR was meant to remove that but yesterday shows it can make it a lot, lot worse. Also, pretty sure it wasn't designed to stop the game for 5 minutes every time the ball goes anywhere near the box.

VAR had nothing to do with any "wrong" decisions yesterday. If they were errors then they were human in nature.

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2020, 11:53 AM

The offside from yesterday I can live with, only because I have seen plenty of similar decisions via VAR. What I can’t comprehend is the lack of action against Pickford.

Dr What If?
18-10-2020, 11:59 AM
VAR had nothing to do with any "wrong" decisions yesterday. If they were errors then they were human in nature.
VAR was used as a tool to make the decisions. No VAR and Liverpool would have had a penalty earlier in the game and the Everton goalie would have walked, the second goal would also have stood. Yesterday proved that this tool does not remove obvious error, only that when the ref has umpteen chances to look at an incident and then makes an error it somehow makes it worse. The very existence of VAR changed the result of the game yesterday.

Risboro Hibby
18-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Keep VAR well away from Scottish football. Ruining the Spontaneous excitement of the game in England

As you say you can quote examples of when it might have helped us. If we had VAR in Scotland our equalising goal against Rangers this year would have been chalked off

The decision makers in football should always be the on field officials not somebody with a maths degree looking at angles in a studio.

brog
18-10-2020, 01:22 PM
VAR was used as a tool to make the decisions. No VAR and Liverpool would have had a penalty earlier in the game and the Everton goalie would have walked, the second goal would also have stood. Yesterday proved that this tool does not remove obvious error, only that when the ref has umpteen chances to look at an incident and then makes an error it somehow makes it worse. The very existence of VAR changed the result of the game yesterday.

Why would Liverpool have had a penalty without VAR? The ref/lino gave offside so without VAR that decision would have stood. As for the goalie walking, he should have but keepers get away with reckless challenges all the time. Craig Gordon has a cv full of those challenges. Again nothing to do with VAR, without VAR offside would have stood.

hibstag
18-10-2020, 01:36 PM

All the Derby drama of a last minute goal lost yesterday to a VAR debate and a s Yr system that ruled on offside but couldn't send the Everton keeper off

It is helping the premiership become this synthetic football experience where 80 plus grand a week ply their trade to TV audiences

heretoday
18-10-2020, 03:24 PM
The whole thing's unfair anyway. Why should the top sides get VAR and goalline technology when Albion Rovers have to make do with Specsavers?

It's one law for the rich and another etc etc...

Dr What If?
18-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Why would Liverpool have had a penalty without VAR? The ref/lino gave offside so without VAR that decision would have stood. .
You might be right, I watched the highlights and when the keepers tackle went in I saw the linesmans flag go up so I assumed the offside hadn't been given. In that case the offside was clear (don't know why that had to go to VAR in the first place), don't understand though why the keeper didn't walk.

weecounty hibby
18-10-2020, 05:02 PM
VAR won't come into Scotland. The bigot twins would be the big losers. The amount of seriously bad decisions they both get in their favour would/should reduce significantly

J-C
18-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Why would Liverpool have had a penalty without VAR? The ref/lino gave offside so without VAR that decision would have stood. As for the goalie walking, he should have but keepers get away with reckless challenges all the time. Craig Gordon has a cv full of those challenges. Again nothing to do with VAR, without VAR offside would have stood.

I actually think they mentioned that he was onside even though flagged off but due to nothing coming from it it wasn't looked at again hence why the challenge should've then been looked at for a red.

ancient hibee
18-10-2020, 05:54 PM
The goalie couldn't be sent off for serious foul play. He could have been sent off for violent conduct if the ref decided he had set out to deliberately injure the Liverpool player.

VAR was supposed to be used to right obvious wrongs. One minute should be the maximum time allowed for consideration of an offence. To me refs are using it as an excuse and refusing to use their own eyes as happened in that ball over the line incident when the VAR view was blocked.

HappyAsHellas
18-10-2020, 06:00 PM
The whole thing is an utter shambles in England and the decisions made yesterday were ludicrous to say the least. The assault upon Virgil was a straight red all day long and yet the ref wasn't told about a clear and obvious error. The winning goal was perfectly legal according to the rules of the game which VAR can seemingly ignore at will. In the photo of the decision I couldn't see the toes of the defender at the top of the screen because of the pixelated line but this was overlooked as we scrutinised Mane's elbow, or maybe a gust of wind had blown his shirt sleeve in a forward motion of 3 thousandth's of a millimetre. Bloody clever these computer geeks, just a pity they know bugger all about football.

hibbysam
18-10-2020, 06:07 PM
The goalie couldn't be sent off for serious foul play. He could have been sent off for violent conduct if the ref decided he had set out to deliberately injure the Liverpool player.

VAR was supposed to be used to right obvious wrongs. One minute should be the maximum time allowed for consideration of an offence. To me refs are using it as an excuse and refusing to use their own eyes as happened in that ball over the line incident when the VAR view was blocked.

Not true at all, he could still have been sent off for serious foul play, which was all confirmed during the game yesterday. Whether the ball is in play or not it’s still serious foul play.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2020, 06:10 PM
The whole thing is an utter shambles in England and the decisions made yesterday were ludicrous to say the least. The assault upon Virgil was a straight red all day long and yet the ref wasn't told about a clear and obvious error. The winning goal was perfectly legal according to the rules of the game which VAR can seemingly ignore at will. In the photo of the decision I couldn't see the toes of the defender at the top of the screen because of the pixelated line but this was overlooked as we scrutinised Mane's elbow, or maybe a gust of wind had blown his shirt sleeve in a forward motion of 3 thousandth's of a millimetre. Bloody clever these computer geeks, just a pity they know bugger all about football.

Computer geeks have absolutely zero to do with VAR. VAR shows a replay or a still image, the officials make decisions.

ancient hibee
18-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Not true at all, he could still have been sent off for serious foul play, which was all confirmed during the game yesterday. Whether the ball is in play or not it’s still serious foul play.

I think whoever said that is wrong-particularly if it's a pundit. :greengrin The punishment for foul play is a free kick. That can't be awarded if the ball is not in play so the offence comes under violent conduct.

Stanton Spence
18-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Computer geeks have absolutely zero to do with VAR. VAR shows a replay or a still image, the officials make decisions.So who decides on the exact moment the pass leaves the players boot and who decides where to put these lines across the screen etc?
I genuinely don't know

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2020, 06:58 PM
So who decides on the exact moment the pass leaves the players boot and who decides where to put these lines across the screen etc?
I genuinely don't know

That it someones job I guess. Its not as if they are doing it wrong. Wrong decisions are nothing to do with that person, though.

Stanton Spence
18-10-2020, 07:05 PM
That it someones job I guess. Its not as if they are doing it wrong. Wrong decisions are nothing to do with that person, though.Cheers [emoji1303]
I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to var. When it was first touted I thought it would be a good thing for the game but it's clearly not going to plan and needs sorting

weecounty hibby
18-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Only football could make such a James Hunt of this. Cricket, tennis, American football, rugby union and league all have successfully managed to use technology to enhance the games and to make sure the correct decisions are made. Football though seems to have been able to make it worse!

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Cheers [emoji1303]
I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to var. When it was first touted I thought it would be a good thing for the game but it's clearly not going to plan and needs sorting

Undoubtedly. I think the idea is sound but the execution is ****ing dreadful so far, mainly in England though. The referees aren't helping themselves at all. VAR should only be used to check for clear and obvious errors.

Stanton Spence
18-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Undoubtedly. I think the idea is sound but the execution is ****ing dreadful so far, mainly in England though. The referees aren't helping themselves at all. VAR should only be used to check for clear and obvious errors.It does seem to be just England but I reckon that's down to the amount of English fitbaw we see up here. I have a mate from Milan and I can't remember what game it was I watched when I was visiting him but var gave a penalty in one match I watched which would never have been given in Scotland. I remember saying so to my mate and he said as soon as your hand/arm hits the ball then it's a penalty accidental or not.
I actually agree with you and it should be for clear cut errors

jacomo
18-10-2020, 08:14 PM
I hate VAR and would like to see it binned.

JimBHibees
18-10-2020, 08:42 PM

I like it but think EPL have made an erse of it. Don't think the same issues in other leagues.

PatHead
18-10-2020, 09:01 PM
If the FA can make this much of a mess of it, what do you think the SFA could do with it?

Eyrie
18-10-2020, 09:50 PM

If it's done right then it's fine, if it's done badly then it's a problem.

Just finished watching the NFL and a Baltimore interception was reviewed and overturned because there was clear evidence the ball hit the ground. If there wasn't, then the interception would have stood rather than replay it for ten minutes to determine whether a blade of grass flinched or was touched.

hibbysam
19-10-2020, 08:20 AM
I think whoever said that is wrong-particularly if it's a pundit. :greengrin The punishment for foul play is a free kick. That can't be awarded if the ball is not in play so the offence comes under violent conduct.

It was PGMOL - if you think they are wrong then fair play.

hibbysam
19-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Only football could make such a James Hunt of this. Cricket, tennis, American football, rugby union and league all have successfully managed to use technology to enhance the games and to make sure the correct decisions are made. Football though seems to have been able to make it worse!

When you look at the rugby aspect, they have fairly clear rules, and everything through the TMO is done by the naked eye. None of this drawing lines etc. The referee gives his verdict and if they can’t find clear evidence to overturn that then it sticks. Football should be far more like this. Flag up serious foul play/violent conduct breaches, for offsides allow the referee to decide based on the naked eye, and go with the referees decision unless their is clear evidence to oppose that.

JimBHibees
19-10-2020, 08:28 AM
When you look at the rugby aspect, they have fairly clear rules, and everything through the TMO is done by the naked eye. None of this drawing lines etc. The referee gives his verdict and if they can’t find clear evidence to overturn that then it sticks. Football should be far more like this. Flag up serious foul play/violent conduct breaches, for offsides allow the referee to decide based on the naked eye, and go with the referees decision unless their is clear evidence to oppose that.

Totally agree with that. Need to bin the offside lines and millimetres offside like Mane.

Numptie
19-10-2020, 08:29 AM
American football and rugby have it right. Once a decision has been made there needs to be overwhelming evidence that the decision was wrong. Last night a touchdown was given but the player maybe didn't get his second foot down. He probably didn't, but the evidence wasn't strong enough to overturn the decision made on the pitch.

JimBHibees
19-10-2020, 08:43 AM
The offside from yesterday I can live with, only because I have seen plenty of similar decisions via VAR. What I can’t comprehend is the lack of action against Pickford.

Totally agree red every day of the week.

Carheenlea
19-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Rules of football are not clear cut enough to benefit from VAR in a positive way as sports like rugby, cricket and tennis do.

A lot of decisions are interpretations and down to matter of opinion rather than fact, and let’s face it, when you have to forensically examine certain incidents or get the protractors and rulers our to measure minute fractions for offsides it isn’t really sport any more.

hibstag
19-10-2020, 10:45 AM

Yes this - whilst not as pressing as some of the stuff in the English game always think of how the womens world cup desended into farce about goalkeepers standing on the line at penalties, when the scottish keeper 'saved' the argentine penalty the Scottish defender who cleared the ball was completely taken out in a really nasty late two footed challenge out by the touchline. This technically didn't happen (as did a possible increasing support for Scottish womens football due to our dramatic qualification for the second phase)

a new tactic in football soon will be for teams drawing or a goal down in the 93 minute to load the box and hail mary the ball into it, then all the attackers will run into the defenders and fall down VAR will find something wrong and give a penalty. equally as another poster said footballers will stop celebrating goals until given the all clear...Imaging the wait in 2016.

worcesterhibby
19-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Gary Holt is a VAR Fud

Since452
19-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Big big no for me. Mistakes are part of football. We've been victim of some horrendous decisions but you man up and take it on the chin and it's forgotten about pretty quickly. This stop start pish isn't for me. That Liverpool decision was rediculous. If I followed an English side I'd be scunnered with it.

Sammy7nil
19-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Big big no for me. Mistakes are part of football. We've been victim of some horrendous decisions but you man up and take it on the chin and it's forgotten about pretty quickly. This stop start pish isn't for me. That Liverpool decision was rediculous. If I followed an English side I'd be scunnered with it.

Not for me VAR takes out some of the corruption claims out of the game. There is no doubt it has problems and these have to be worked on. However it must be better to have more correct decisions.

Gloucester Hibs
19-10-2020, 11:42 AM
It’s the uncertainty after a goal is scored that annoys me and is killing the game IMO. A goal isn’t a goal anymore; it just triggers a period of uncertainty after which a goal may or may not be awarded.

Until AI reaches the point where 100% accurate VAR decisions can be made in real-time with no disruption to the game then it should be binned.

JimBHibees
19-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Not for me VAR takes out some of the corruption claims out of the game. There is no doubt it has problems and these have to be worked on. However it must be better to have more correct decisions.

Yep three Derby decisions come to mind. 2012 penalty, Griff free kick and Jordan Forster 5 yards onside goal which went a long way to putting us down. God we got shafted round about that time, personally think something was up.

heretoday
19-10-2020, 11:59 AM
Do away with VAR. It's not appropriate for football which is a game that needs to flow unlike other high profile sports that have constant breaks as part of the game.

Let's revert to the traditional Swings and Roundabouts system in which refs get regular eye tests at Specsavers!

Newry Hibs
19-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Pickford won't face further punishment ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54601721

PatHead
19-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Yep three Derby decisions come to mind. 2012 penalty, Griff free kick and Jordan Forster 5 yards onside goal which went a long way to putting us down. God we got shafted round about that time, personally think something was up.

I think goal line technology would have worked for some of them rather than VAR.

I experienced it at the woman's World Cup and left feeling we were better without it. Made it too stop start.

Scouse Hibee
19-10-2020, 02:04 PM

And rightly so, should have been dealt with at the time but wasn’t so we move on.

neil7908
19-10-2020, 02:32 PM
I'm supportive of VAR but I think it needs to be improved. A lot of issues aren't the fault of VAR, it's the guidelines put in place.

The rules haven't been updated to take into account VAR, so you have regulations built around 1 ref and 2 assistants rather than embracing and adapting to the advantages of technology.

heretoday
19-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Nor should he. The day we start examining every game retrospectively is the day football dies.

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2020, 03:12 PM
I don't remember the same public outcry for retrospective action and bans when Eduardo, Diaby, Ramsey,and Rosicky were all brutally injured within a few years of eachother by teams kicking Arsenal. The narrative then was Arsenal needed to toughen up.

Fwiw, these brutal tackles should be punished. 5 game bans for challenges like Pickford's would sort it out.

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Nor should he. The day we start examining every game retrospectively is the day football dies.

Mate, it's been happening for years?? Compliance officer??

lord bunberry
24-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Today’s game proves this system is a farce. Clear penalty for Chelsea not given. Hand ball in the lead up to West Ham goal, last week it’s a foul, this week it’s not. The referee doesn’t go and have a look, why?

hibbysam
24-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Today’s game proves this system is a farce. Clear penalty for Chelsea not given. Hand ball in the lead up to West Ham goal, last week it’s a foul, this week it’s not. The referee doesn’t go and have a look, why?

Penalty against Liverpool only checked inside or outside, not whether it was a foul or not 😂 crazy.

CapitalGreen
24-10-2020, 09:46 PM

I’m no fan of VAR but another angle showed there was no handball by West Ham and I think the one given against Liverpool was a penalty. An opponent can still be deemed to have fouled the attacker even if he wins the ball. Agree with you that VAR should have picked up the foul by Maguire in the United v Chelsea game.

hibbysam
24-10-2020, 10:24 PM
I’m no fan of VAR but another angle showed there was no handball by West Ham and I think the one given against Liverpool was a penalty. An opponent can still be deemed to have fouled the attacker even if he wins the ball. Agree with you that VAR should have picked up the foul by Maguire in the United v Chelsea game.

Not when you win the ball as clearly as Fabinho did. It’s a contact sport, he slides in from the side on the floor and clearly plays the ball. If that’s a foul then every single tackle that makes any contact with a player is, and we know that’s nonsense.

The problem here is that VAR didn’t even look at the foul. Only whether it was inside or outside and that’s wrong. Should be looking at the whole action and determining if it was a penalty or not.

Diclonius
24-10-2020, 10:40 PM
The only VAR that would work is decisions that are ratified and confirmed within 10 seconds of the incident happening, wholly by the assistant referee. No massive delay, no decision being overturned long after a goal is scored and no referee spending 5 minutes looking at every conceivable ****ing angle.

An incident happens, the referee makes a decision, VAR has ten seconds to inform him differently. Can't do it in ten, the decision stands. If the decision is overturned, he doesn't have a say in it. End of.

PatHead
26-10-2020, 10:14 AM
The only VAR that would work is decisions that are ratified and confirmed within 10 seconds of the incident happening, wholly by the assistant referee. No massive delay, no decision being overturned long after a goal is scored and no referee spending 5 minutes looking at every conceivable ****ing angle.

An incident happens, the referee makes a decision, VAR has ten seconds to inform him differently. Can't do it in ten, the decision stands. If the decision is overturned, he doesn't have a say in it. End of.

Sounds fair to me but how many decisions against Sevco and Celtic would take over 10 seconds while they would be rushed into making mistakes when it suits.

MWHIBBIES
26-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Lacazette goal disallowed when Xhaka was nowhere near the goalies line of sight either.