PDA

View Full Version : Team v Hearts in Semi Final

Pages : [1] 2

Unseen work
17-10-2020, 08:12 AM
With Hearts getting a very good result against an albeit poor Dundee side, how do you think/want us to line up in the Semi Final?

For me Hearts looked good and had a really good balance to their squad. New additions of Halliday, Kingsley, Ginnely, Roberts and Gordon all look good aswell as having Haring back fit.

I’d imagine against us they’ll play something similar to;

..........................Gordon................

Smith.........Halkett.....Popescu....Kingsley....

...................Haring......Halliday/Irving...

Ginnelly...........Walker/Naismith........Roberts

............................Boyce......

For me it’s a huge call for Jack Ross, does he stick with the 442/352 we’ve been playing this season or will he want more of a hold on the game on a bigger pitch and play 451/433/4231 or however you interpret it.

A 352 for me is a good formation however it leaves only Doig or Wright who could play that position which would more than likely result in Jamie Murphy missing out - for me he needs to start so we need to find a way of fitting him in the team. 352 however does allow us to have Doidge, Nisbet, Boyle, Allan/Mallan/Magennis in the team along with Newell and Gogic if all fit. The back 3 picks itself.

A 442 again has been very good for us this season and manages to accommodate Murphy, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet. The only downside would be the size of the pitch and the fear hearts may dominate us in there. On the flip side with our attackers it could cause them a lot of problems as I don’t think they’re too clever defensively.

Or we try a 451/433/4231 which is something we’ve not played this season and would mean picking one out of Doidge and Nisbet up top. It would however mean we can have Gogic, Newell and Magennis competing in the midfield plus Boyle, Murphy and Nisbet/Doidge up top.

How do we see us setting up? Personally I think Ross will stay true to himself and have faith in the team and go for:

.....................Marciano..............

McGinn....Porteous....Hanlon......Doig/Stevenson....

Boyle.........Gogic.......Newell/Magennis....Murphy....

................Doidge.....Nisbet.......

Thoughts?

JimBHibees
17-10-2020, 08:21 AM
With Hearts getting a very good result against an albeit poor Dundee side, how do you think/want us to line up in the Semi Final?

For me Hearts looked good and had a really good balance to their squad. New additions of Halliday, Kingsley, Ginnely, Roberts and Gordon all look good aswell as having Haring back fit.

I’d imagine against us they’ll play something similar to;

..........................Gordon................

Smith.........Halkett.....Popescu....Kingsley....

...................Haring......Halliday/Irving...

Ginnelly...........Walker/Naismith........Roberts

............................Boyce......

For me it’s a huge call for Jack Ross, does he stick with the 442/352 we’ve been playing this season or will he want more of a hold on the game on a bigger pitch and play 451/433/4231 or however you interpret it.

A 352 for me is a good formation however it leaves only Doig or Wright who could play that position which would more than likely result in Jamie Murphy missing out - for me he needs to start so we need to find a way of fitting him in the team. 352 however does allow us to have Doidge, Nisbet, Boyle, Allan/Mallan/Magennis in the team along with Newell and Gogic if all fit. The back 3 picks itself.

A 442 again has been very good for us this season and manages to accommodate Murphy, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet. The only downside would be the size of the pitch and the fear hearts may dominate us in there. On the flip side with our attackers it could cause them a lot of problems as I don’t think they’re too clever defensively.

Or we try a 451/433/4231 which is something we’ve not played this season and would mean picking one out of Doidge and Nisbet up top. It would however mean we can have Gogic, Newell and Magennis competing in the midfield plus Boyle, Murphy and Nisbet/Doidge up top.

How do we see us setting up? Personally I think Ross will stay true to himself and have faith in the team and go for:

.....................Marciano..............

McGinn....Porteous....Hanlon......Doig/Stevenson....

Boyle.........Gogic.......Newell/Magennis....Murphy....

................Doidge.....Nisbet.......

Thoughts?

Very important that both Newell and Murphy are fit imo. Need to play 2 strikers however have the flexibility to change formation and make us more competitive in the middle of the pitch.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-10-2020, 08:54 AM
We’ll scud them.

B.H.F.C
17-10-2020, 09:06 AM
If everyone is available we just go 442 and attack them IMO.

It’s worked well against the poorer sides in our league. Hearts will be a threat but there will be chances going the other way so I hope we just set out to attack them. Dundee scored two and should have scored more last night despite being honking.

Murphy being fit is really, really important.

hibby rae
17-10-2020, 09:26 AM
The Hampden pitch js the same length as Easter Road and only one metre wider either side. And considerably bigger than the Tynecastle pitch.

So in theory this should benefit us more.

I'd say 4-4-2 might be a way to go. Worked very well against Rangers.

I'd avoid 4-3-3 as it hasn't worked as well for us this season.

Keith_M
17-10-2020, 09:27 AM
...For me it’s a huge call for Jack Ross, does he stick with the 442/352 we’ve been playing this season or will he want more of a hold on the game on a bigger pitch

Thoughts?

The Hampden and Easter Road pitches are the same size.

chrisski33
17-10-2020, 09:29 AM
We’ll scud them.

Heard that before and didnt end well! We should but doesnt mean we will

where'stheslope
17-10-2020, 09:43 AM
The Hampden and Easter Road pitches are the same size.
The thing I noticed last night was they attacked fast on both flanks, and their shooting from around the box has been improved!
Don't think their defense is the best, but on the wide spaces at Hampden they could cause us problems at the back, so midfield will have to backtrack a lot.
The first goal will be essential for us, so we can dictate play and try and add to the lead on the break, as they will try and push us right back.
Not going to be as easy as some people think!!!

calumhibee1
17-10-2020, 09:53 AM
It looks like Neilson has gone back to the same shape as last time they were in championships. Get wingers very wide and get strikers who are mobile to attack crosses/make runs. Think he has a way of playing in the championship which works.

As folk have said we SHOULD win but I think we’ve all seen enough over the years to suggest it won’t be that simple. Our quality of player is better than their’s and going forward we have players that can hurt any team in Scotland. If we match their desire then we should be fine.

hibby rae
17-10-2020, 09:56 AM
As long as the players are up for it and don't think it'll be a walkover. Treat it like it'll be the hardest game this season and we should win.

As long as everyone puts a shift in, Doidge and Gogic can do the dirty work, which will be key, and Nisbit could very well have a very good day.

HendoDelivered
17-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Marciano

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
MaGennis
Goga
Newell
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

hibee316
17-10-2020, 01:43 PM
We’ll scud them.

I really don't think we will.

Billy Whizz
17-10-2020, 04:35 PM
How many subs are you allowed in the Scottish Cup, 3 or 5

Scooter
17-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Pretty sure we play Killie next

Frazerbob
17-10-2020, 04:42 PM

We not allowed to discuss the semi?

The 90+2
17-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Rocky

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon
Stevenson

Murphy
Gogic
Newell
Wright

Doidge or Boyle
Nizzy

lord bunberry
17-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Rocky

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon
Stevenson

Murphy
Gogic
Newell
Wright

Doidge or Boyle
Nizzy
Wright should be nowhere near the starting 11 for this game. Take out Wright for Boyle and that’s the team I’d go for. Wright is better coming off the bench at the moment.

The 90+2
17-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Wright should be nowhere near the starting 11 for this game. Take out Wright for Boyle and that’s the team I’d go for. Wright is better coming off the bench at the moment.

Probably mate. 👍

Frazerbob
17-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Murphy was a big miss today. He’ll be very important in the semi.

lord bunberry
17-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Probably mate. 👍
I’ve got a feeling he’ll try and get Magennis in there.

Pagan Hibernia
17-10-2020, 04:56 PM

and?

Steve20
17-10-2020, 05:06 PM
If we can’t take our chances and score a goal against a rank Ross County team, we better buck our ideas up before a semi final. Because that was absolute garbage today.. 0-0 is not acceptable.

The 90+2
17-10-2020, 05:09 PM
I’ve got a feeling he’ll try and get Magennis in there.

Yeah me too. I’m not sure how it works with the shape we play though. We need to hit them wide. Dropping Newell if Murphy is fit would be a massive call, brave too.

Keith_M
17-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Yesterday's game at Tynecastle plus our game today just highlights that the semi-final could easily go either way.

We need to up our game, especially when it comes to converting chances.

lord bunberry
17-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Yeah me too. I’m not sure how it works with the shape we play though. We need to hit them wide. Dropping Newell if Murphy is fit would be a massive call, brave too.
It would but it’s the only realistic call he can make if he wants Magennis to play. I just hope he doesn’t go with 1 up front to get Magennis into the team.

The 90+2
17-10-2020, 05:37 PM
It would but it’s the only realistic call he can make if he wants Magennis to play. I just hope he doesn’t go with 1 up front to get Magennis into the team.

I don't think he will tbh. Changing the whole shape of a team in such an important match would be Lennon-esq and 1 up top and we lose would lose a lot of the support.

lord bunberry
17-10-2020, 05:40 PM
I don't think he will tbh. Changing the whole shape of a team in such an important match would be Lennon-esq and 1 up top and we lose would lose a lot of the support.
I tend to agree, it would be harsh on Newell if he missed out though.

basehibby
17-10-2020, 06:10 PM
We have 2 good strikers - so play them and give the Jambos something to worry about.

Whether to set up 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? Largely that depends on availability of Murphy - with whom the 4-4-2 makes sense - he's a quality player and 4-4-2 will get the best out of him. Otherwise 3-5-2.

Frazerbob
17-10-2020, 06:11 PM
If we can’t take our chances and score a goal against a rank Ross County team, we better buck our ideas up before a semi final. Because that was absolute garbage today.. 0-0 is not acceptable.

🤦🏻

basehibby
17-10-2020, 06:13 PM
I tend to agree, it would be harsh on Newell if he missed out though.

Newell has arguably been our player of the season so far - no way would I drop him.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2020, 06:21 PM

and yet, it happened, so you have zero choice but to accept it.

Since90+2
17-10-2020, 06:25 PM

What does a post like this actually add to the debate?

Sammy7nil
17-10-2020, 06:25 PM
I think we played 3_5_2 the last derby I know the team has changed but I sure hope Jack has learned a lot from that because we were awful. I Think we he can get a grip in midfield we have plenty enough up top to win. Hearts will not be worrying about us and we should not be worrying about them.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2020, 06:27 PM
What does a post like this actually add to the debate?

I mean, what does a post saying we were garbage and its unacceptable really add? Its not unacceptable at all IMO. Everyone tried hard to get the goal, we played some decent stuff, attacked them, forced saves, hit the post. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. A 0-0 draw against Ross County away is nothing to cry over.

Losing to Hearts would be a disaster, though.

Del Boy
17-10-2020, 06:48 PM
I’m about as confident as you can be before a derby. We are stronger in every single position IMO. Only way we lose is if 5 or more players have absolute stinkers, we get absolutely zero luck or the ref has a Craig Thomson-esque performance....

yerauldda
17-10-2020, 08:40 PM
Wouldn’t be against a 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Boyle - Nisbet - Murphy

Sammy7nil
17-10-2020, 09:30 PM
I’m about as confident as you can be before a derby. We are stronger in every single position IMO. Only way we lose is if 5 or more players have absolute stinkers, we get absolutely zero luck or the ref has a Craig Thomson-esque performance....

Confident too but you only have not need to look back to the last Derby at home to see what could happen. We are stronger but not by miles Hearts have good first 11 and we will have to be fully at it to win.

Sir David Gray
17-10-2020, 09:47 PM
How many subs are you allowed in the Scottish Cup, 3 or 5

The Wireless
17-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Marciano

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
MaGennis
Goga
Newell
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

Just not sure a 3-5-2 is the way to go at Hampden as Hearts would focus on their wide players and full backs getting the better of Murphy & Boyle by doubling up in defence and creating a 2v1 going forward.

1875Sean
17-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Marciano

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
MaGennis
Goga
Newell
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

This is the team I would go for, very attaching but need to play on the front foot

jacomo
17-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Wouldn’t be against a 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Boyle - Nisbet - Murphy

I like that because it also allows a midfield of Magennis Gogic Newell.

The 90+2
17-10-2020, 10:34 PM
I like that because it also allows a midfield of Magennis Gogic Newell.

So a certain poster being crucified and ripped to shreds for having an opinion could be justified.

I would have Doidge in tbh. He seems the sort for a big game goal.

Wheat Hound
18-10-2020, 09:56 AM
I think we need to win/dominate the middle of the park so I'd be tempted to go 433 with Gogic, Newell and Magennis a narrow 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet, with the option of changing things if not going to plan and bringing Doidge on.

Frazerbob
21-10-2020, 08:59 PM
Willie Collum the ref apparently

hibbysam
21-10-2020, 10:06 PM
I think we need to win/dominate the middle of the park so I'd be tempted to go 433 with Gogic, Newell and Magennis a narrow 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet, with the option of changing things if not going to plan and bringing Doidge on.

This. We have better players, so match them and beat them. They will play the same way 4-2-3-1 which is essentially what ours would be with Boyle and Murphy. Folk talking about dropping Newell is one of the worst suggestions I’ve heard. We’d be risking it going 442 and giving them the midfield.

Since452
22-10-2020, 05:47 AM
Newell and Murphy playing will be key I think

JimBHibees
22-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Willie Collum the ref apparently

Robbie Replay will be practicing having to play with ten men if that is the case. :greengrin

Strange comment given the number of retrospective Derby reds Collum has missed for them over the years.

Jones28
22-10-2020, 08:34 AM
We must play full backs/wingers, 3-5-2 didn't work for us last time and Neilson will have seen why. They get players wide and swing crosses in. Go man for man and we have the better individuals IMO, Nesbit and Murphy are absolutely key.

Rocky
McGinn Porteous Hanlon Stevenson
Boyle Gogic Newall Murphy
Doidge Nisbet

andrew70
22-10-2020, 08:45 AM
We must play full backs/wingers, 3-5-2 didn't work for us last time and Neilson will have seen why. They get players wide and swing crosses in. Go man for man and we have the better individuals IMO, Nesbit and Murphy are absolutely key.

Rocky
Doidge Nesbit

This is the team but a game to go first.

Gloucester Hibs
22-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Rocky
Doidge Nesbit

This is the team. Fingers crossed everyone is fit and available. Said it elsewhere, Hearts focus on getting the ball out wide but Boyle and Murphy should cause them far more problems in wide areas than they do to us.

EI255
22-10-2020, 08:55 AM
Wright should be nowhere near the starting 11 for this game. Take out Wright for Boyle and that’s the team I’d go for. Wright is better coming off the bench at the moment.Boyle is now due a goal or two. Been a while since he hit a few.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
22-10-2020, 09:02 AM

Rocky
Doidge Nesbit

Not sure if Stevenson has the pace against their wide players?
Thats my only doubt.

number9dream
22-10-2020, 09:03 AM

I like the sound of that too, but would like to see the formation given a run out before the big game.
Given we only have Killie beforehand, it's not much time and Murphy's fitness remains in doubt.
I'm not sure JR would risk a new approach at Hampden.
If Murphy is fit for this Saturday, do we risk starting him at Rugby Park? That's where he got his bad injury, but he's going to need some minutes to be considered for the semi final.

Jones28
22-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Not sure if Stevenson has the pace against their wide players?
Thats my only doubt.

I thought about Doig ad would have him in but Stevenson showed lots of experience against Celtic and Rangers that I chose him.

J-C
22-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Depends if you go 3 or 4 at the back, Stevenson is a better option in a back 4 with Doig better with a back 3. Also have to wait and see who's fit to play, Ross might want to keep it tight at the back but flexible and attacking from midfield and front.

Zazu62
22-10-2020, 09:53 AM

Rocky
Doidge Nesbit

It’s Kevin Nisbet

Since90+2
22-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Depends if you go 3 or 4 at the back, Stevenson is a better option in a back 4 with Doig better with a back 3. Also have to wait and see who's fit to play, Ross might want to keep it tight at the back but flexible and attacking from midfield and front.

I don't think Doig is currently a better option in a 3 or 4. He's probably better going forward than Lewis but defensively he seems miles off it at times.

The Modfather
22-10-2020, 10:32 AM
I don't think Doig is currently a better option in a 3 or 4. He's probably better going forward than Lewis but defensively he seems miles off it at times.

I know we all see the game differently, and I agree Doig is still raw, but our defensive record with him in the team (and without him) is good. I think his defensive frailties are, generally, vastly overplayed. Yes he’ll get caught out from time to time as he’s still learning but he hasn’t cost us many, if any, goals this season.

I don’t mean to pull you up specifically so apologies for quoting you. I might be inclined to go with the experience of Stevenson purely because it’s a semi against Hearts, but the trade off is we lose a lot of energy and attacking impetus on the left.

makaveli1875
22-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Rocky

McGinn
Hanlon
Porteous
Doig/Mackie

Gogic

Boyle
Magennis
Newell

Doidge
Nisbet

duffers
22-10-2020, 10:43 AM

Rocky
Doidge Nesbit

This and then Magennis on for Newell when he inevitably gets injured.

I do like the front 6 of

Magennis Gogic Newell

Boyle Nisbet Murphy

But as others have said, I feel this is the game for Doidge and I think we will need an extra body in midfield.

Lewy over Doig is a no brainer for me in this one.

Jones28
22-10-2020, 10:50 AM
It’s Kevin Nisbet

Edited. :aok:

superfurryhibby
22-10-2020, 11:34 AM

I often wonder happens once we stop accepting the unacceptable? :confused:

With regard to the team, Stevenson will play and we should match them man for man, as has been said, we have better players and will beat them if we utilise them well enough.

Dashing Bob S
22-10-2020, 05:32 PM
I think we should field a full strength team.

Northernhibee
23-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Let them worry about us. We’re the top flight team, we’ve played more competitive games this season, set ourselves up to play to our full potential.

That’s what happened in the 2-2 money spinner - Hearts in the first half attacked us, played the way they play and it fell apart for them when they tried to contain us and stop us from playing.

Scudding Dundee isn’t as impressive as us scudding Livi away from home or holding Rangers to a 2-2 draw when they hadn’t even conceded a goal.

Take a couple of precautions here and there but by and large we need to play to our strengths.

Since452
23-10-2020, 08:56 AM
Let them worry about us. We’re the top flight team, we’ve played more competitive games this season, set ourselves up to play to our full potential.

That’s what happened in the 2-2 money spinner - Hearts in the first half attacked us, played the way they play and it fell apart for them when they tried to contain us and stop us from playing.

Scudding Dundee isn’t as impressive as us scudding Livi away from home or holding Rangers to a 2-2 draw when they hadn’t even conceded a goal.

Take a couple of precautions here and there but by and large we need to play to our strengths.

This

Not In The Know
23-10-2020, 09:06 AM

As long as we do the exact opposite of what we did against the at ER last time.

Nicho87
23-10-2020, 09:10 AM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Newell
Boyle
Murphy

Nisbet
Doidge

Waxy
23-10-2020, 06:05 PM
After waiting 114 years to win the Scottish cup, might we only have to wait another four to win it again?

Glory Lurker
23-10-2020, 06:15 PM
After waiting 114 years to win the Scottish cup, might we only have to wait another four to win it again?

Don't. I'm still hurting that we didn't make it two in a row!

Since452
23-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Don't. I'm still hurting that we didn't make it two in a row!

Still irks me that. I really think the wave of momentum could have made that reality. Was stuck outside at the turnstiles and was 2-0 Aberdeen when I got in. Who knows what could have happened had we got to the final.

Smartie
23-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Malkowski

De la Cruz
Hunter
Sauzee
Hanlon

Horgan
Latapy
Lyndon Andrews
Albert Kidd

Paatelainen
Cummings

Get Zibi in there just so they know we're pish in goal and they can't get the ball anywhere near it.

Inconsequential
23-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Malkowski

De la Cruz
Hunter
Sauzee
Hanlon

Horgan
Latapy
Lyndon Andrews
Albert Kidd

Paatelainen
Cummings

Get Zibi in there just so they know we're pish in goal and they can't get the ball anywhere near it. Wouldn't have Hanlon at left back.

Brightside
23-10-2020, 09:57 PM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Newell
Boyle
Murphy

Nisbet
Doidge

Agree with this. And Doig will in effect play as LWB. Allowing Murphy freedom to push up and inside. Stevenson comes on after 65.

Since452
23-10-2020, 10:14 PM
Anyone know if Murphy is back training yet?

Smartie
23-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't have Hanlon at left back.

Yeah, but does he get a game ahead of either Hunter or Sauzee at CB? I think we need Hanlon up in their box for corners, same with Hunter, and we need Sauzee arriving late for shots outside the box and back post headers.
I thought about Stevenson for LB to utterly bamboozle them with his LC winners medal but Hanlon shades it there.

My main issue with the team was whether or not Kidd might make a bigger impact against them from the bench.

Inconsequential
23-10-2020, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but does he get a game ahead of either Hunter or Sauzee at CB? I think we need Hanlon up in their box for corners, same with Hunter, and we need Sauzee arriving late for shots outside the box and back post headers.
I thought about Stevenson for LB to utterly bamboozle them with his LC winners medal but Hanlon shades it there.

My main issue with the team was whether or not Kidd might make a bigger impact against them from the bench. Ok and I'll have a pint of whatever it is you're drinking. GGTTH. :agree:

Aldo
24-10-2020, 07:08 AM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Newell
Boyle
Murphy

Nisbet
Doidge

I’d be happy with that team.

I really do think Murphy is the key to this game.

No complacency and don’t get involved in a kicking match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeejeebies
24-10-2020, 08:57 AM
This and then Magennis on for Newell when he inevitably gets injured.

I do like the front 6 of

Magennis Gogic Newell

Boyle Nisbet Murphy

But as others have said, I feel this is the game for Doidge and I think we will need an extra body in midfield.

Lewy over Doig is a no brainer for me in this one.

I think you've managed to pay Joe Newell both a compliment and an insult there 😁

Since90+2
24-10-2020, 09:02 AM
Anyone know if Murphy is back training yet?

He's out today so wouldn't think so. He's only been out for a couple of weeks so would imagine if he was fit enough to train he'd be fit enough to be in the squad.

wookie70
24-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Gogic
Newell
Boyle
Magennis(assuming Murphy is out)

Nisbet
Doidge

Not a game for Doig to start imo and if Murphy is out then I think we may go with the players above, possibly in a 442 but maybe a 532

JimBHibees
24-10-2020, 12:16 PM
He's out today so wouldn't think so. He's only been out for a couple of weeks so would imagine if he was fit enough to train he'd be fit enough to be in the squad.

Possible he is back training but they don't want to gamble on the Killie pitch as think that is where he did his acl a few years back. Hope he is ok for next week as think he can make a difference. Would assume if he is it would only be from the bench which is a shame.

green day
24-10-2020, 06:02 PM
I think it is great for Edinburgh football that both teams are going into the semi final in third place in their respective divisions................................:greengri n

JOD
24-10-2020, 06:12 PM
I think it is great for Edinburgh football that both teams are going into the semi final in third place in their respective divisions................................:greengri n

Superb

gbhibby
24-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Newell
Boyle
Murphy

Nisbet
Doidge
Happy with that team but Boyler needs to up his game he has not been at his best in the last two games. Hearts fans say they only need to stop Boyle to win the game. Murphy gives us width on the other side of the pitch. We also have options on the bench.

Diclonius
24-10-2020, 10:03 PM
This is our most important game since the 2016 cup final. Maybe even 2012.

We HAVE to win. Losing to a Hearts team in the division below, with the team we have, the form we have, and at ****ing Hampden AGAIN would be unforgivable.

My first ever Hibs game was the 2006 semi final and I don't think I've ever really gotten over it. Winning this would go some way toward fixing that.

IberianHibernian
24-10-2020, 10:19 PM

We HAVE to win. Losing to a Hearts team in the division below, with the team we have, the form we have, and at ****ing Hampden AGAIN would be unforgivable.

My first ever Hibs game was the 2006 semi final and I don't think I've ever really gotten over it. Winning this would go some way toward fixing that.It`s a one off cup match against a team from a lower division where inferior team always has a chance of causing a surprise . Played in an empty stadium with winners playing final in an empty stadium in December or possibly much later depending on circumstances . Like all semi finals it`s an important match but we`ve had lots of important matches since 2016 and 2012 . Hopefully we`ll make semis and finals of both cup tournaments in 20 / 21 so will have more matches to be considered most important .

hibbysam
24-10-2020, 10:21 PM
It`s a one off cup match against a team from a lower division where inferior team always has a chance of causing a surprise . Played in an empty stadium with winners playing final in an empty stadium in December or possibly much later depending on circumstances . Like all semi finals it`s an important match but we`ve had lots of important matches since 2016 and 2012 . Hopefully we`ll make semis and finals of both cup tournaments in 20 / 21 so will have more matches to be considered most important .

None of which against Hearts when we are building a head of steam. There is no match of greater importance than an Edinburgh derby to reach a cup final (unless we got them in a final again). This is our chance to right a lot of wrongs.

Northernhibee
24-10-2020, 10:26 PM
None of which against Hearts when we are building a head of steam. There is no match of greater importance than an Edinburgh derby to reach a cup final (unless we got them in a final again). This is our chance to right a lot of wrongs.

How many times do we need to right those wrongs though? We carry no weight from the past into this game. We've already pumped them out of the Scottish cup three times since that day, on one occasion going through to win the whole thing after being 2-0 down at Tynie with ten minutes to go.

The reason it took so long for us to win the cup for a third time was, by the end of that run, the weight that history put on our shoulders was nearly unbearable and I'm convinced that if we'd scored even five minutes before we did the end result may have been completely different. We can't carry that weight now we've done so much to shed it.

superfurryhibby
24-10-2020, 10:33 PM

My first ever Hibs game was the 2006 semi final and I don't think I've ever really gotten over it. Winning this would go some way toward fixing that.

Take off the hair underpants.

B.H.F.C
24-10-2020, 10:42 PM

Totally agree. Have always thought Hearts record against us is down to attitude more than anything else. Certainly in recent times. Don’t need to look much further than last season when two of their four league wins were at Easter Road. Everybody from the tea lady to the kit man to the management will be hammering the importance of this game into their players. Ours need to realise the importance of this. We need to win, no excuses.

IberianHibernian
24-10-2020, 10:48 PM
None of which against Hearts when we are building a head of steam. There is no match of greater importance than an Edinburgh derby to reach a cup final (unless we got them in a final again). This is our chance to right a lot of wrongs.I appreciate that games against Hearts are extra important for fans who live or work in Edinburgh area . I don`t know any Hearts fans so a Derby defeat is just another defeat but losing a semi final is never good ( far from it ) . What`s a lot of wrongs ? Not sure about building head of steam bit . If that was the case , we`d be massive favourites against any team from lower league in cup .

zitelli62
24-10-2020, 10:51 PM
We are due one against them at hampden the last twice I can find excuses for this one I can't if we play the way we can we win but it is a derby.

Since452
24-10-2020, 11:52 PM
My thoughts and feelings mean bugger all. I'm relatively relaxed about it. Worried myself sick in 2006 and 2012 and made no difference what so ever. It's down to the boys on Saturday. Different personnel in both teams so it's a bit of a lottery. You'd like to think we're more in to our stride than them and playing against much better opposition every week will go in our favour. We're the third best side in the country, hopefully we go and show it. Hearts have a Premiership squad in the Championship so it will be tough but Robbie Neilsons tactics have always been suspect against us both at Hearts and United. Not long to find out! Massive, massive opportunity for us to win the competition though. I've said that a few times over the years though. A win would right a few wrongs. Absolutely massive.

JammyDoidger
24-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Only changes arguably could be magennis for Mallan, and doig for stevenson. Rest of the team picks itself. Shame about Murphy but we have more than enough to not just beat them but give them a tanking. Mon the hibs, this is the time:agree::flag:!!

NAE NOOKIE
25-10-2020, 01:11 AM
Not going to try to pick a team coz I'm invariably wrong :greengrin .... I do have a few observations though.

The first one being that it shouldn't be forgotten that with a premiership quality team in the championship we regularly beat premiership sides in cup competitions and made two cup finals winning one of them ... it should have been both. From that perspective it makes little difference that Hertz are in the championship, they without doubt have a premiership quality squad and playing so called 'inferior opposition every week certainly didn't do us any harm when faced with premiership sides.

As nobody needs reminding, in a season where they were utterly dreadful they won twice at Easter Road, with the second of those games involving an utterly inept performance by us. If our players needed any lessons about the reality of what they face on Saturday and that 100% effort will be required that's two right there.

Even though they were below the level of their previous performance against Dundee, on Friday night Hertz still played the same way, they moved the ball quickly on the ground in patches and used both wings pretty well, it was far from hoofball and if we are to be successful against them we have to ensure they cant get into a rhythm as they did against Dundee.

Don't get me wrong we have the players to hurt them and who are more than capable of taking control of the game if they all play to their potential. But for all we are doing well results wise in our last 3 games against Forfar, Ross County and Killie we have scored once from open play, so anybody thinking we are going to go out there and batter them doesn't have the support of recent form in front of goal to back up that theory in my opinion. This is going to be a tough close game that could go either way.

I'm not being unduly negative about our chances, its just that I've seen far too many derby matches where our prospects looked good pre match, where folk on here have gone on about how much more quality we have in our team than them and then we have gone out and utterly blown it.

James Stephen
25-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Not going to try to pick a team coz I'm invariably wrong :greengrin .... I do have a few observations though.

The first one being that it shouldn't be forgotten that with a premiership quality team in the championship we regularly beat premiership sides in cup competitions and made two cup finals winning one of them ... it should have been both. From that perspective it makes little difference that Hertz are in the championship, they without doubt have a premiership quality squad and playing so called 'inferior opposition every week certainly didn't do us any harm when faced with premiership sides.

As nobody needs reminding, in a season where they were utterly dreadful they won twice at Easter Road, with the second of those games involving an utterly inept performance by us. If our players needed any lessons about the reality of what they face on Saturday and that 100% effort will be required that's two right there.

Even though they were below the level of their previous performance against Dundee, on Friday night Hertz still played the same way, they moved the ball quickly on the ground in patches and used both wings pretty well, it was far from hoofball and if we are to be successful against them we have to ensure they cant get into a rhythm as they did against Dundee.

Don't get me wrong we have the players to hurt them and who are more than capable of taking control of the game if they all play to their potential. But for all we are doing well results wise in our last 3 games against Forfar, Ross County and Killie we have scored once from open play, so anybody thinking we are going to go out there and batter them doesn't have the support of recent form in front of goal to back up that theory in my opinion. This is going to be a tough close game that could go either way.

I'm not being unduly negative about our chances, its just that I've seen far too many derby matches where our prospects looked good pre match, where folk on here have gone on about how much more quality we have in our team than them and then we have gone out and utterly blown it.

Totally agree.

If there has been one feature of derbies in my life, it has been that Hibs have a real knack of not winning the games when everything is in their favour.

Hearts on the other hand usually hammer home any advantage.

hibbysam
25-10-2020, 07:05 AM
I appreciate that games against Hearts are extra important for fans who live or work in Edinburgh area . I don`t know any Hearts fans so a Derby defeat is just another defeat but losing a semi final is never good ( far from it ) . What`s a lot of wrongs ? Not sure about building head of steam bit . If that was the case , we`d be massive favourites against any team from lower league in cup .

You don’t think we are currently on a massive upwards curve under Ross? A defeat next Saturday would put a massive dent in that. A lot of hibs fans will take a while to get over any defeat next week. The wrongs that include getting pumped twice by them through there. Just watch the reaction on here and on social media if we lose next week. Thankfully I don’t think it’ll happen, but this is our biggest game since 2016, and our biggest derby in 8 years, we have to win it.

Since452
25-10-2020, 07:20 AM
You don’t think we are currently on a massive upwards curve under Ross? A defeat next Saturday would put a massive dent in that. A lot of hibs fans will take a while to get over any defeat next week. The wrongs that include getting pumped twice by them through there. Just watch the reaction on here and on social media if we lose next week. Thankfully I don’t think it’ll happen, but this is our biggest game since 2016, and our biggest derby in 8 years, we have to win it.

Totally agree. A win next week is absolutely vital. I don't care how we get it.

heretoday
25-10-2020, 07:44 AM
It'll be good to feel the old derby tingling in the extremities again!

neil7908
25-10-2020, 07:48 AM
We need to win this one. If Lewis is fit I'd be torn between him and Doig. Murphy is a really key player for one as well.

I'd absolutely love him back, think his creativity, vision and experience will be crucial.

Aldo
25-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Only changes arguably could be magennis for Mallan, and doig for stevenson. Rest of the team picks itself. Shame about Murphy but we have more than enough to not just beat them but give them a tanking. Mon the hibs, this is the time:agree::flag:!!

Is Murphy definitely ruled out?? Not seen that anywhere

hibee-boys
25-10-2020, 10:02 AM
Thankfully i've mellowed over the years so these games don't stress me out as much as they used to. Might have a couple of beers pre game but nowhere near the amount if I'd been there so that'll help keep the emotions in check. Can't recall many, if any, derby games i've went into with too much confidence, scars of attending through their unbeaten run and 2012/16 I think. I just hope we 'turn up' and perform at the level expected.

JimBHibees
25-10-2020, 10:41 AM
How many times do we need to right those wrongs though? We carry no weight from the past into this game. We've already pumped them out of the Scottish cup three times since that day, on one occasion going through to win the whole thing after being 2-0 down at Tynie with ten minutes to go.

The reason it took so long for us to win the cup for a third time was, by the end of that run, the weight that history put on our shoulders was nearly unbearable and I'm convinced that if we'd scored even five minutes before we did the end result may have been completely different. We can't carry that weight now we've done so much to shed it.

Totally agree a one off game in isolation which is hugely important but imo not encumbered by any games from the past. What it definitely is for sure is a huge opportunity to get to a final.

JimBHibees
25-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Don't think he has been. Hopefully at minimum an option from the bench.

Aldo
25-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Don't think he has been. Hopefully at minimum an option from the bench.

Indeed however I’d rather he started and we got a good hour out of him. We also better be prepared to get booted up and down the park

Spike Mandela
25-10-2020, 11:17 AM
We need to win this one. If Lewis is fit I'd be torn between him and Doig. Murphy is a really key player for one as well.

I'd absolutely love him back, think his creativity, vision and experience will be crucial.

He’s appeared in 4 games or something with, as far as I can tell, limited impact. Be nice to have him available but why so important?

BoyledEgg
25-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Jamie Murphy and Drey Wright are due to be back training tomorrow.

Since452
25-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Jamie Murphy and Drey Wright are due to be back training tomorrow.

Brilliant news

Heisenberg
25-10-2020, 11:27 AM

The reaction if we lose will be toxic. Expect a few “Ross out” shouts in the aftermath. Losing a derby will always bring out some overreaction, if the worst does happen let’s hope it doesn’t mess us up on the park too much and we keep our form going in the league.

I’ve got faith in the squad but I’ve no doubt it’ll be a tough match. We’ve rarely had an easy match against them no matter who they chuck out on the park.

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 12:31 PM
The reaction if we lose will be toxic. Expect a few “Ross out” shouts in the aftermath. Losing a derby will always bring out some overreaction, if the worst does happen let’s hope it doesn’t mess us up on the park too much and we keep our form going in the league.

I’ve got faith in the squad but I’ve no doubt it’ll be a tough match. We’ve rarely had an easy match against them no matter who they chuck out on the park.

It’ll definitely be a tough game. Despite the respective positions, they’ll be sent out with the attitude that they have to win. Their whole support will still expect to win, rather than hope to win, because that’s the attitude they’ve always had against us. They’re not particularly tolerant when it doesn’t happen and nobody knows that better than Robbie Neilson who was about hounded out, despite doing a pretty decent job, because of what happened against us.

I really hope the players recognise the importance of this for us because there is absolutely no doubt we have the better players. We can’t beat ourselves by not turning up.

lucky
25-10-2020, 12:59 PM
I’d play our league cup team after all it’s a game against a lower league team.

JimBHibees
25-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Indeed however I’d rather he started and we got a good hour out of him. We also better be prepared to get booted up and down the park

So would I hope he starts however do need to be careful given the type of injury.

Aldo
25-10-2020, 01:59 PM
So would I hope he starts however do need to be careful given the type of injury.

We do but I’m sure both JR and JM himself will know if he’s ready!

JammyDoidger
25-10-2020, 02:29 PM

Not sure what the scenario is with Murphy but i very much doubt he will start the game.

Hibs07p
25-10-2020, 02:56 PM
I think Neilson will have a rather unenviable fact added to his CV after the semi. Being the manager who has seen both his teams knocked out of the 19 / 20 Scottish Cup by Hibs.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Inconsequential
25-10-2020, 03:09 PM
He’s appeared in 4 games or something with, as far as I can tell, limited impact. Be nice to have him available but why so important? Well, maybe Neil thinks his creativity, vision and experience would be important in a Scottish Cup Final Derby match.

truehibernian
25-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Team is settled and picking itself to a certain extent which is always pleasing when on such a good run. Only changes I can see would be Doig for Lewis (if he doesn't recover). Having Murphy on the bench would be a real bonus, and Magennis will have a crucial part to play off the bench too in my opinion.

Last time we played them we went 3-5-2 with a very soft midfield. We'll be 4-4-2 and far more compact and solid this time around. Looking forward to seeing Nisbet against their back four :aok:

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Team is settled and picking itself to a certain extent which is always pleasing when on such a good run. Only changes I can see would be Doig for Lewis (if he doesn't recover). Having Murphy on the bench would be a real bonus, and Magennis will have a crucial part to play off the bench too in my opinion.

Last time we played them we went 3-5-2 with a very soft midfield. We'll be 4-4-2 and far more compact and solid this time around. Looking forward to seeing Nisbet against their back four :aok:

Without Murphy, I can’t see us being a midfield four. When we have set up that way against the diddy teams, it’s worked really well but we need two proper wide players on the pitch to allow it.

truehibernian
25-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Without Murphy, I can’t see us being a midfield four. When we have set up that way against the diddy teams, it’s worked really well but we need two proper wide players on the pitch to allow it.

Don't think we'll start with two wide men when playing two up top (which is a given). Also - some of Newell's best attacking play has been when he has drifted out into wide areas and whipped some delightful balls into the box - and he's also made shooting opportunities for himself.

The team as it stands know their role and are pretty solid. I wouldn't be disrupting that and having the option of Murphy, Wright and Magennis from the bench would be very decent if the shape has to change/adapt.

neil7908
25-10-2020, 03:29 PM
He’s appeared in 4 games or something with, as far as I can tell, limited impact. Be nice to have him available but why so important?

We've scored 1 goal in the last couple of games and with Scott Allan out I think we really need someone with a bit more guile in the final third. At the moment we are extremely reliant on Nisbet with Doidge and Boyle not looking at their best.

I know Murphy hasn't played a huge amount but I was impressed with him at Sevco and think he's made a difference in the games he's played for us.

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Don't think we'll start with two wide men when playing two up top (which is a given). Also - some of Newell's best attacking play has been when he has drifted out into wide areas and whipped some delightful balls into the box - and he's also made shooting opportunities for himself.

The team as it stands know their role and are pretty solid. I wouldn't be disrupting that and having the option of Murphy, Wright and Magennis from the bench would be very decent if the shape has to change/adapt.

If we play four across the midfield I don’t see it being anything other than with two wide players. Whenever we’ve played with a four this season that’s what we’ve done. It’s pretty much flipped between that and back three all season so I don’t see it being too much different next week.

JimBHibees
25-10-2020, 03:46 PM
If we play four across the midfield I don’t see it being anything other than with two wide players. Whenever we’ve played with a four this season that’s what we’ve done. It’s pretty much flipped between that and back three all season so I don’t see it being too much different next week.

Can see Mallan starting left as yesterday.

jeffers
25-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Can see Mallan starting left as yesterday.

I really hope not. I want to see Magennis in for him.

JimBHibees
25-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Maybe so but thought Mallan was good yesterday.

hibeejeebies
25-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Yeah Kyle has impressed so far but will JR think he's ready for the full 90/120 minutes?

Sir David Gray
25-10-2020, 04:20 PM
I think Neilson will have a rather unenviable fact added to his CV after the semi. Being the manager who has seen both his teams knocked out of the 19 / 20 Scottish Cup by Hibs.

GGTTH

Good point, has that ever happened before?

jeffers
25-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Yeah Kyle has impressed so far but will JR think he's ready for the full 90/120 minutes?

Possibly not for 90 minutes, but the majority of derbies are a battle and whoever wins the midfield imo will win the game. Magennis has a more physical side to his game that Mallan does not have. If Neilson watched the last derby he’ll be aware how they pressed us that night, equally JR should select a team that doesn’t allow them to do so. I think KM would have started yesterday if it wasn’t another artificial surface.

Since452
25-10-2020, 05:13 PM
I think Magennis and Murphy will come in for Hampden

Peevemor
25-10-2020, 05:26 PM
I think Magennis and Murphy will come in for HampdenI think Magennis was being saved (Killie pitch) for next weekend but I think we'll see Murphy on the bench at best.

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 06:01 PM
I think Magennis was being saved (Killie pitch) for next weekend but I think we'll see Murphy on the bench at best.

I don’t think he was being saved yesterday. Thought it was just a case of him struggling after a bright start against Ross County with Mallan doing well when he replaced him in that game.

No sure he’s at the stage where he needs saved, he needs built up. Don’t see this issue with the plastic, he played on it twice a couple of weeks back.

Agree on Murphy.

matty_f
25-10-2020, 06:35 PM
We have no excuses for this one. I think our strongest eleven beats their strongest eleven. I don’t want the players thinking about previous games or thinking there’s a point to prove, i just want them to focus on winning the game.

A defeat would be, imho, worse than either of the two Hampden defeats to them. It’s unthinkable.

If we turn up and play well, we will win with a couple of goals to spare.

Peevemor
25-10-2020, 06:51 PM
I don’t think he was being saved yesterday. Thought it was just a case of him struggling after a bright start against Ross County with Mallan doing well when he replaced him in that game.

No sure he’s at the stage where he needs saved, he needs built up. Don’t see this issue with the plastic, he played on it twice a couple of weeks back.

Agree on Murphy.You could well be right, it was just what came to my mind when I saw he wasn't starting yesterday.

Dashing Bob S
25-10-2020, 06:53 PM
We have no excuses for this one. I think our strongest eleven beats their strongest eleven. I don’t want the players thinking about previous games or thinking there’s a point to prove, i just want them to focus on winning the game.

A defeat would be, imho, worse than either of the two Hampden defeats to them. It’s unthinkable.

Pretty much my thinking too.

easty
25-10-2020, 06:56 PM

I get where you’re coming from, but a defeat this week wouldn’t even come close to how bad the last time at Hampden was.

matty_f
25-10-2020, 07:10 PM
I get where you’re coming from, but a defeat this week wouldn’t even come close to how bad the last time at Hampden was.

I honestly don’t think so. That was bad but we know why it was bad and can see a load of reasons why they beat us.

This time, we’re well into our season, they’ve just started, our players are better than theirs and our manager is better, they’re a division below us.

If they somehow beat us, it would definitely be more embarrassing than the other two.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I honestly don’t think so. That was bad but we know why it was bad and can see a load of reasons why they beat us.

This time, we’re well into our season, they’ve just started, our players are better than theirs and our manager is better, they’re a division below us.

If they somehow beat us, it would definitely be more embarrassing than the other two.

It’s probably a game that shouldn’t be played, but I’ll love it when we win
Much as I’d like to give them a good hammering, think it will be a tight game
Neilson will play it tight, and Hibs aren’t exactly scoring goals for fun
Think it will be a 1-0 win for Hibs

Broken Gnome
25-10-2020, 07:14 PM

Funny one, wouldn't have thought much would ever compare to the 2012 final but all in all we've survived that and I'm not sure anyone bothers that much after 2016.

There's been quite a few in the 'cannot lose' category against Hearts, but the various circumstances of Saturday puts this one at the top. Above the aggro and different divisions, we're still lacking a Hampden win against them as well plus need a better outcome than the last derby for Jack Ross' sake. All told, losing's unthinkable.

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 07:20 PM
Funny one, wouldn't have thought much would ever compare to the 2012 final but all in all we've survived that and I'm not sure anyone bothers that much after 2016.

There's been quite a few in the 'cannot lose' category against Hearts, but the various circumstances of Saturday puts this one at the top. Above the aggro and different divisions, we're still lacking a Hampden win against them as well plus need a better outcome than the last derby for Jack Ross' sake. All told, losing's unthinkable.

Agree totally. I’ve not even really thought about the possibility of winning the cup. All I’ve really though about is not losing to them. Would be a really bad one, in the circumstances.

The 90+2
25-10-2020, 07:21 PM

Aye this. There is no excuse at all this time and we are due a performance at the National Stadium against them. Nerves kicking in now already.

truehibernian
25-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Extenuating circumstances led to the previous defeats which is why I don't lose sleep over the outcomes of those games. Sore - yes, don't deny that - but first game we were without Killen, Deek, Boozy and Brown and even Mowbray's pre-match interview told you we were on a hiding to nothing.

Final - lack of professionalism throughout the team and management, poor build up, team of loanees who had no feel for the tie or the magnitude of the game, garbage officials. Hearts had a strong side (for both games) and thoroughly deserved the wins. Hibs were in free fall for the latter game.

This time around it will be a tight game, both sides have decent players, Hibs have shed the SC 'hoodoo', no fans might relax the players, and the team, management, and group are in a very content place and much tighter and more united. No excuses not to turn in a good performance.

Can't wait for the game, love the derbies, love the banter beforehand and after. We're defending well and scoring goals, and our big players are in form. It'll be an even contest due to the very nature of the tie but it's there to win. What I've noticed already about Hearts is that they are nowhere near as physical a side as previously and are trying to play with width at every opportunity. Midfield will be key, our front men have to work hard and limit them playing freely from the back.

Should be a very good game - Hibs win :aok:

Ringothedog
25-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Their fans are totally confident of the win as it “just Hibs”

matty_f
25-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Their fans are totally confident of the win as it “just Hibs”

Their fans are ****ing idiots, though.

They also thought they would best St Mirren, get reconstruction, win in court, win the arbitration, get £10m compensation and have Scottish football in turmoil.

B.H.F.C
25-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Their fans are ****ing idiots, though.

They also thought they would best St Mirren, get reconstruction, win in court, win the arbitration, get £10m compensation and have Scottish football in turmoil.

They are idiots, you’re right. But the mentality of their fans, towards derby games, spreads right through the club and is a big reason why they regularly beat us when we have superior players IMO.

Pagan Hibernia
25-10-2020, 07:49 PM
They’re playing a bit of football this season from what I’ve seen. Not the typical dour hearts style industrial clogging we’ve all seen from them so often.

whether that will work in our favour or against us I’ve no idea.

Smartie
25-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Extenuating circumstances led to the previous defeats which is why I don't lose sleep over the outcomes of those games. Sore - yes, don't deny that - but first game we were without Killen, Deek, Boozy and Brown and even Mowbray's pre-match interview told you we were on a hiding to nothing.

Final - lack of professionalism throughout the team and management, poor build up, team of loanees who had no feel for the tie or the magnitude of the game, garbage officials. Hearts had a strong side (for both games) and thoroughly deserved the wins. Hibs were in free fall for the latter game.

This time around it will be a tight game, both sides have decent players, Hibs have shed the SC 'hoodoo', no fans might relax the players, and the team, management, and group are in a very content place and much tighter and more united. No excuses not to turn in a good performance.

Can't wait for the game, love the derbies, love the banter beforehand and after. We're defending well and scoring goals, and our big players are in form. It'll be an even contest due to the very nature of the tie but it's there to win. What I've noticed already about Hearts is that they are nowhere near as physical a side as previously and are trying to play with width at every opportunity. Midfield will be key, our front men have to work hard and limit them playing freely from the back.

Should be a very good game - Hibs win :aok:

If you’re wanting a pessimistic angle - our last derby, under Jack Ross, we were comprehensively outplayed and well beaten at home by a team that were utter gash for the previous 18 months, give or take the odd decent win over Sevco.

The fact that we managed to pluck that horrific performance from somewhere gives me a wee bit of concern.

Ringothedog
25-10-2020, 08:04 PM
They are idiots, you’re right. But the mentality of their fans, towards derby games, spreads right through the club and is a big reason why they regularly beat us when we have superior players IMO.

Sadly you are right, I am hopeful that their whole club believe we are still a soft touch, i don’t care how we beat them ,but to do it with a bit of grit, determination and a lot of skill would make up for a few of the more recent defeats when were so pathetically weak.

truehibernian
25-10-2020, 08:05 PM
If you’re wanting a pessimistic angle - our last derby, under Jack Ross, we were comprehensively outplayed and well beaten at home by a team that were utter gash for the previous 18 months, give or take the odd decent win over Sevco.

The fact that we managed to pluck that horrific performance from somewhere gives me a wee bit of concern.

Derbies always bring with them a mix of pessimism and optimism, however I'll go with optimism and being 3rd in the league, doubled our points tally after 12 games compared to last season, clean sheets and defensive cohesion, and our strikers on form and scoring goals and providing assists. Our midfield has far more balance and physicality too.

I'm going into it 'glass half full' :agree:

jeffers
25-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Unless we pick up a few injuries this week in training there should be no excuses for not winning on Saturday. Bar their fullback Kingsley there’s not another player in their team I’d consider swapping for any of ours. We are better all over the pitch and we are far more up to speed in terms of games played this season. Not winning would be really hard to accept.

HibbyAndy
25-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Nah , We are winning this game next Saturday :agree:

Pagan Hibernia
25-10-2020, 08:36 PM
They’re fooling nobody over there with their “it’s a no-lose situation for us” pish.

defeat next week will hurt them, badly, as will the thought of us being in the Scottish Cup Final again, so let’s just get it done.

Since452
25-10-2020, 08:42 PM
They’re fooling nobody over there with their “it’s a no-lose situation for us” pish.

defeat next week will hurt them, badly, as will the thought of us being in the Scottish Cup Final again, so let’s just get it done.

The thought of us beating them and potentially winning the cup with them trying to tell us it's tainted etc has the hairs on my neck standing up. It would be absolutely glorious.

PH91
25-10-2020, 09:18 PM

Not for me. The only way it would be more embarrassing than getting absolutely hammered the last 2 games is if we get hammered again. There may have been "loads of reasons" why we lost those games but there were no reasons for losing them in the manner we did.

Despite being in a league below their team is built on a playing budget comparable to ours and although we are rightly favourites this will more than likely be a close game (bookies have it 19/10 vs 13/10). Should a narrow loss happen then it would be a sore one but not as bad as the last 2. I think 2016 has clouded how bad those were at the time.

I expect the same starting 11 from yesterday with murphy available from the bench. Provided boyle and mallan get it right tactically in terms of helping out the middle 2 then i fancy us to sneak it. The running power of boyle and nisbet can cause them problems.

JammyDoidger
25-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Not for me. The only way it would be more embarrassing than getting absolutely hammered the last 2 games is if we get hammered again. There may have been "loads of reasons" why we lost those games but there were no reasons for losing them in the manner we did.

Despite being in a league below their team is built on a playing budget comparable to ours and although we are rightly favourites this will more than likely be a close game (bookies have it 19/10 vs 13/10). Should a narrow loss happen then it would be a sore one but not as bad as the last 2. I think 2016 has clouded how bad those were at the time.

I expect the same starting 11 from yesterday with murphy available from the bench. Provided boyle and mallan get it right tactically in terms of helping out the middle 2 then i fancy us to sneak it. The running power of boyle and nisbet can cause them problems.

Sneak it, are you for real? If we don't win this comfortably there's a problem. There's no crowd it's 11 v 11 and we are better all over the park. Goals, clean sheets. Get them pumped!!

PH91
25-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Sneak it, are you for real? If we don't win this comfortably there's a problem. There's no crowd it's 11 v 11 and we are better all over the park. Goals, clean sheets. Get them pumped!!

Yes, i am. I think we will win a close game by a small margin.

Ringothedog
26-10-2020, 06:04 AM

We didn’t get hammered “the last 2 games” , we won 2-0 at the PBS and lost the second game at home 1-3 .

bigwheel
26-10-2020, 06:11 AM

there has been decades of examples where the better team in a derby has ended up losing .....they are a decent side, certainly going forward anyway. And they’ve got a top goalie ..will be a tough match.

MWHIBBIES
26-10-2020, 06:14 AM

90% of derbies are a goal either way. This will be no different. No one is getting pumped.

JimBHibees
26-10-2020, 06:15 AM
there has been decades of examples where the better team in a derby has ended up losing .....they are a decent side, certainly going forward anyway. And they’ve got a top goalie ..will be a tough match.

Will be a close game for sure. Would be surprised if we lost to be honest.

Gloucester Hibs
26-10-2020, 06:19 AM

We’re favourites but don’t forget we pumped them out the SC two seasons in a row whilst we were still in the championship, both times having to negotiate tricky away ties at the PBS. On the first occasion Neilson had them flying high in the top division. So anything can happen.

hibeejeebies
26-10-2020, 06:20 AM
I'm 35 and seen us scud Hearts once.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2020, 07:10 AM

I can't think of anything worse than a 5-1 defeat in a Scottish Cup final to be honest.

If we lose this one it will be horrible but I can't see it coming close to that one.

Pagan Hibernia
26-10-2020, 07:11 AM
I'm 35 and seen us scud Hearts once.

The 6-2 and the 3-0 at their place. That’s it in my 38 years. Really thought the 3-1 Cathro derby would end up being another demolition but it didn’t happen.

hibeejeebies
26-10-2020, 08:06 AM
The 6-2 and the 3-0 at their place. That’s it in my 38 years. Really thought the 3-1 Cathro derby would end up being another demolition but it didn’t happen.

After I posted that I thought I've probably seen us pump both Rangers more than I've seen us pump Hearts.

flash
26-10-2020, 08:14 AM

A loss here isn't even on the same universe as the 5-1 game. We won't even have to endure that journey home.
I make it 60/40 in our favour as we are more battle hardened than them this season.
I just hope we play to our capabilities and it's not a classic turgid Hertz win where we don't turn up.

The Count
26-10-2020, 08:21 AM
This all about winning anyway we can.A turgid 1-0 win would do me.It keep them quite and we can move on to the Final and chase 3rd place in the League.I the meantime thay can wallow in the Championship.

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 08:28 AM
90% of derbies are a goal either way. This will be no different. No one is getting pumped.

They've played 2 games, we are well into our season. I think you all may be surprised at how comfortable we will win this game. We are a well organised outfit with plenty of attacking threat. If we can't give them a tanking in the circumstances we never will. We've let them off the hook too many times.

Since90+2
26-10-2020, 08:29 AM
If you take out our games against the old firm in the league we are conceding an average of 0.5 goals per game. That's very impressive.

We are defensively sound and better than them going forward. It will be a close game but if we turn up and play we will win the game.

Smartie
26-10-2020, 08:58 AM
If we lose this one we hand them back a lot of momentum as regards being on top in this fixture and standing within the city.

Hearts could really have taken hold of it again when we were in the Championship and it was great credit to Stubbs and the players that they weren't allowed to.

If we beat them, it's a long time for them to have that defeat haunting them before we play again whilst they're touring about the less salubrious surroundings of the Championship.

If they win, they get a spring in their step and it's game on when we see them again.

I think this is a massive game and we've got a lot to lose. I hope Hibs realise this but manage to channel it properly.

Losing this one would hurt massively, it'd be up there with the biggest, sorest ones.

Wayne Foster is still the one that rankles with me most. We were very good at that time, they were pish and the very definition of a journeyman was afforded legendary status courtesy of one goal. Horrible stuff.

5-1 wasn't fun at the time but I've learnt to deal with it and the mitigating factors involved take away from that one a fair bit.

March still stings a bit tbh. We need to exorcise that.

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Everyone knows we are a better side than them, the fans know it, the players know it and the neutrals know it. This is just another game for our players, they'll go and put in a professional performance and come away with the win. This will be one of our easiest games this season:wink:. Belief goes a long way.

Austinho
26-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Even if they beat us I wouldn’t trade our position for theirs. They’ll still be in the Championship, and we’ll still be finishing well above them for the 4th season in a row. We’ll go on to have a good season regardless of the outcome and will continue to be the top team in Edinburgh until the 2021-2022 at the absolute earliest.

Since452
26-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Even if they beat us I wouldn’t trade our position for theirs. They’ll still be in the Championship, and we’ll still be finishing well above them for the 4th season in a row. We’ll go on to have a good season regardless of the outcome and will continue to be the top team in Edinburgh until the 2021-2022 at the absolute earliest.

I'm not so sure we'll go on to have a good season if they beat us. Would be a hammer blow and severely knock us. Losing doesn't bare thinking about. On the flip side if we win it could be a season to remember. We need to put Hearts in their place on Saturday. I really hope the remaining players from last season want to right the wrong from Easter Road.

Brightside
26-10-2020, 09:38 AM
I want us to win obv. But the result makes no difference to "standing within the city". They are a championship club. We are 3rd in the Prem. Thats the only standing that actually counts.

Sammy7nil
26-10-2020, 09:54 AM
It won’t be easy Hearts are still working on a similar or higher budget than us.
Naismith, Boyce, Halkett, Berra, Haring and Gordon probably on more or the same as our highest earners.

This is exactly like playing an Premiership opponent rather than a championship team.

scoopyboy
26-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Everyone knows we are a better side than them, the fans know it, the players know it and the neutrals know it. This is just another game for our players, they'll go and put in a professional performance and come away with the win. This will be one of our easiest games this season:wink:. Belief goes a long way.

It must be good to be as confident as you.

Every time Hibs fans say we are going to hammer them it ends up going wrong.

Very few times this century have I been confident and on those occasions I have been we generally make a mess of it.

Look no further back than the last derby at Easter Road, check the thread and everybody was predicting a huge win.

Similarly when we lost 2-1 under Lennon at Tynecastle we were saying we will beat Hearts and Rangers and finish second, we finished fourth.

Obviously I hope you're right and you are telling us how easy it was on Saturday night.

scoopyboy
26-10-2020, 09:58 AM
They've played 2 games, we are well into our season. I think you all may be surprised at how comfortable we will win this game. We are a well organised outfit with plenty of attacking threat. If we can't give them a tanking in the circumstances we never will. We've let them off the hook too many times.

They've played 5 games in October.

The 90+2
26-10-2020, 09:59 AM
Is there any news on Murphy yet? Him being fit could be quite pivotal imo.

H18 SFR
26-10-2020, 10:03 AM

I was looking for the answer to this question this morning, couldn't see anything.

Alex Trager
26-10-2020, 10:07 AM
If we lose this one we hand them back a lot of momentum as regards being on top in this fixture and standing within the city.

Hearts could really have taken hold of it again when we were in the Championship and it was great credit to Stubbs and the players that they weren't allowed to.

If we beat them, it's a long time for them to have that defeat haunting them before we play again whilst they're touring about the less salubrious surroundings of the Championship.

If they win, they get a spring in their step and it's game on when we see them again.

I think this is a massive game and we've got a lot to lose. I hope Hibs realise this but manage to channel it properly.

Losing this one would hurt massively, it'd be up there with the biggest, sorest ones.

Wayne Foster is still the one that rankles with me most. We were very good at that time, they were pish and the very definition of a journeyman was afforded legendary status courtesy of one goal. Horrible stuff.

5-1 wasn't fun at the time but I've learnt to deal with it and the mitigating factors involved take away from that one a fair bit.

March still stings a bit tbh. We need to exorcise that.

March does sting a serious amount still.

The absolutely pathetic attitude shown that night was disgusting. I genuinely could not quite believe the way we played that night.

What also concerned me was that JR seemed to be fairly satisfied -within the realms of satisfaction- with the performance, or he certainly never came across as raging which he should have been.

Anyway, we go onto Saturday. I’m fairly confident. We are the better side and we are winning games that we normally lose/draw this season.

There’s a hibby on Kickback that says he’s worried about our defence, but I find that astounding. Our defence has been much improved from last season.

I believe Killie and RC had a total of 2 shots on target against us in the last two games and 0 goals, so we are doing something right at the back.

What’s the deal with Stevenson?

Since452
26-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Another poster said both him and Wright are back in training today

The 90+2
26-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Another poster said both him and Wright are back in training today

I was looking for the answer to this question this morning, couldn't see anything.

"We hope that them not being available for Kilmarnock has given them an opportunity and I'd like to think we'd have at least one of them, if not both of them, available.

"We'll see how the week progresses, but I would be confident I would have more options to me.”

Since452
26-10-2020, 10:39 AM
March does sting a serious amount still.

The absolutely pathetic attitude shown that night was disgusting. I genuinely could not quite believe the way we played that night.

What also concerned me was that JR seemed to be fairly satisfied -within the realms of satisfaction- with the performance, or he certainly never came across as raging which he should have been.

Anyway, we go onto Saturday. I’m fairly confident. We are the better side and we are winning games that we normally lose/draw this season.

There’s a hibby on Kickback that says he’s worried about our defence, but I find that astounding. Our defence has been much improved from last season.

I believe Killie and RC had a total of 2 shots on target against us in the last two games and 0 goals, so we are doing something right at the back.

What’s the deal with Stevenson?

Totally agree. I've been embarrassed after games against them before but the only feeling I had in March was anger. Absolutely pathetic performance. Glad a few of them aren't at the club now. The others should be busting a gut to make up for it. What I will say is that Arbroath cut their defence open with relative ease on Friday and 59 year old Charlie Adam turned into Maradona against them too when he "ran" at them. Nisbet will get chances.

Gloucester Hibs
26-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Totally agree. I've been embarrassed after games against them before but the only feeling I had in March was anger. Absolutely pathetic performance. Glad a few of them aren't at the club now. The others should be busting a gut to make up for it. What I will say is that Arbroath cut their defence open with relative ease on Friday and 59 year old Charlie Adam turned into Maradona against them too when he "ran" at them. Nisbet will get chances.

Also interesting to note all 3 Hearts goalscorers from that evening have also since moved on. We will definitely get a decent amount of chance, we do need to be more clinical in front of goal though.

Since452
26-10-2020, 11:04 AM
"We hope that them not being available for Kilmarnock has given them an opportunity and I'd like to think we'd have at least one of them, if not both of them, available.

"We'll see how the week progresses, but I would be confident I would have more options to me.”

👍

matty_f
26-10-2020, 11:44 AM
A loss here isn't even on the same universe as the 5-1 game. We won't even have to endure that journey home.
I make it 60/40 in our favour as we are more battle hardened than them this season.
I just hope we play to our capabilities and it's not a classic turgid Hertz win where we don't turn up.

I think it's as big as those last two Hampden games. We got humiliated in both of them and I think a defeat on Saturday would be humiliating as well.

They're a league below us and feel they have a point to prove. If you take away the name Hearts and looked at the chances of winning for both teams, it's more than 60/40 in our favour.

They've not long started their season, they lost a few of their better players, they're without their best centre half, their winger looks likely to miss the game, their pre-season was interrupted when they were told not to train and they were so bad that last season they were relegated.

We, on the other hand, have had a great start to the season, have been playing for months at a high level, have spent money on bringing players in (while we've also lost players, I don't think there were too many that we were desperately sad to lose).

I'm confident we'll win, by the way - I think the reasons above put us in a really good place going into the game and while anything can happen in a derby, that's going to be tempered somewhat by the lack of fans (you can look at the Celtic v Rangers game to see how the intensity was less than it would have been in a full stadium), I still strongly fancy us to progress to the final because we're fundamentally a better team.

In the previous two Hampden meetings, that hasn't even been close to being the case.

gbhibby
26-10-2020, 11:47 AM
I am not bothered with previous results against them, that was then this is now. We are playing a semi final against a team from a division below who feel the were hard done to. A scrappy 1 nil win will do fine Jack Ross will know how Hearts will play. There will be pressure on Robbie replay as well to try to prove that his team belong in our league. Bring it on.

Latapy'sVolley
26-10-2020, 11:51 AM
I'm confident we'll win, by the way - I think the reasons above put us in a really good place going into the game and while anything can happen in a derby, that's going to be tempered somewhat by the lack of fans (you can look at the Celtic v Rangers game to see how the intensity was less than it would have been in a full stadium), I still strongly fancy us to progress to the final because we're fundamentally a better team.

Agreed, I think we'll miss a cracking day out, but the best football team will win. And that'll be us.

hibeerealist
26-10-2020, 12:12 PM
We will win this and if we do so by a few goals then that's a bonus, winning is the prime target.

Billy Whizz
26-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Won’t be too many changes from Saturday’s starting line up

Latapy'sVolley
26-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Won’t be too many changes from Saturday’s starting line up

Think Magennis could be in for Mallan to give us a bit more when we've not got the ball.

Saint Hibee
26-10-2020, 01:18 PM
I've got a really nasty feeling that this has flukey Jambo victory written all over it. It'll be a dodgy penalty or lucky deflection compounded by an unjustified sending off (probably Porteous). The BBC will be lapping it up. I'm hopefully completely wrong!

Since452
26-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Wish the game was tomorrow. Five days of torture second guessing and playing out different scenarios is excruciating. Just hope we turn up on the day and get an early goal to settle any nerves.

lord bunberry
26-10-2020, 01:34 PM
I expect us to win, we have a strong defence, quality in midfield and a potent strike force. The fact that hearts are in the championship is irrelevant, they’ve got a squad that would be competitive in the premiership similar to us when we were down there. It’s all about us asserting ourselves early and taking our chances.

Since452
26-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Didn't realise that Kingsley played for Falkirk in our 4-3 win over them at Hampden. Hopefully another defeat for him

Sammy7nil
26-10-2020, 02:06 PM
I have not been over to KB since they were expelled 🥳

Nipped over today and saw this they really are different their use if language is just .... well you be the judge.

trotter trotter
Posted 14 hours ago
On 24/10/2020 at 17:35, AC Mallin_51 said:
Must say my nerves have really started to kick in today, I think because the game was pushed back so far it felt like it was never going to come. Don’t get me wrong I have a good feeling about it. Cmon the Gorgie! 🇱🇻
Don't worry about it. Any PHM goes into a derby knowing that we will win. This excuse they have after yet another pumping of 'they wanted it more' is their way of comforting themselves and making it sound like there isn't a reason we've won more derbies at the ****pit than them.

Robbie is a PHM, and he will make sure that the entire dressing room knows what we have since 1874, losing against them is simply unacceptable.

I see another Hampden raping on the cards. I don't want us 4 up and stepping off the pedal. I want them dead and buried. Make no mistake, when we win this game, its over for them. Its done. The end. No more continues. Game over.

HHGH
Edited 14 hours ago by trotter

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 02:10 PM
i have not been over to kb since they were expelled 🥳

nipped over today and saw this they really are different their use if language is just .... Well you be the judge.

Trotter trotter
posted 14 hours ago
on 24/10/2020 at 17:35, ac mallin_51 said:
Must say my nerves have really started to kick in today, i think because the game was pushed back so far it felt like it was never going to come. Don’t get me wrong i have a good feeling about it. Cmon the gorgie! 🇱🇻
don't worry about it. Any phm goes into a derby knowing that we will win. This excuse they have after yet another pumping of 'they wanted it more' is their way of comforting themselves and making it sound like there isn't a reason we've won more derbies at the ****pit than them.

Robbie is a phm, and he will make sure that the entire dressing room knows what we have since 1874, losing against them is simply unacceptable.

I see another hampden raping on the cards. I don't want us 4 up and stepping off the pedal. I want them dead and buried. Make no mistake, when we win this game, its over for them. Its done. The end. No more continues. Game over.

Hhgh
edited 14 hours ago by trotter

phm?

Sammy7nil
26-10-2020, 02:12 PM
phm?

I assume it is Proper Hearts Man 😂

Pagan Hibernia
26-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Nipped over today and saw this they really are different their use if language is just .... well you be the judge.

trotter trotter
Posted 14 hours ago
Must say my nerves have really started to kick in today, I think because the game was pushed back so far it felt like it was never going to come. Don’t get me wrong I have a good feeling about it. Cmon the Gorgie! 🇱🇻
Don't worry about it. Any PHM goes into a derby knowing that we will win. This excuse they have after yet another pumping of 'they wanted it more' is their way of comforting themselves and making it sound like there isn't a reason we've won more derbies at the ****pit than them.

Robbie is a PHM, and he will make sure that the entire dressing room knows what we have since 1874, losing against them is simply unacceptable.

I see another Hampden raping on the cards. I don't want us 4 up and stepping off the pedal. I want them dead and buried. Make no mistake, when we win this game, its over for them. Its done. The end. No more continues. Game over.

HHGH

someone hasn’t quite grasped the concept of how football works and the fact that there’s always another game, another derby, another season. Nothing is ever “over” where derbies are concerned

Since452
26-10-2020, 02:21 PM

trotter trotter
Posted 14 hours ago

HHGH

What's a PHM?

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 02:22 PM

Could also mean Proper Hibs Man too in that case.

The short period I had as a self-confessed Hibs supporter on JKB, I finished all my posts with FTH. This confused them.

Since452
26-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Hearts should have lost on Friday against butchers, bakers and candlestick makers and pumped a Dundee team with two central midfielders with a combined age of 67 with far, far less pre season than them. We are a massive step up for them. If we show the right intensity we'll beat them.

Sean1875
26-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Aye it is. Proper virgin patter.

CloudSquall
26-10-2020, 02:53 PM
If we get an early goal I think we'll win quite comfortably, however in all likelihood it's going to be the typical punt and rush derby which will be decided by a goal or two.

I presume they will try to press us as usual in the middle of the park forcing Hanlon to hooof it up the park which their backline will mop up, I hope we keep calm and keep the ball on the ground and get it out wide to Boyle at every opportunity.

Since90+2
26-10-2020, 02:58 PM
If we get an early goal I think we'll win quite comfortably, however in all likelihood it's going to be the typical punt and rush derby which will be decided by a goal or two.

I presume they will try to press us as usual in the middle of the park forcing Hanlon to hooof it up the park which their backline will mop up, I hope we keep calm and keep the ball on the ground and get it out wide to Boyle at every opportunity.

I've no doubt they will press high but that's easier to play against on a big pitch like Hampden.

I also think we will have success if we do need to go long. I'm not convinced by their centre halfs and both Nisbet and Doidge are big lads and good in the air.

We have a few ways we can win the game.

CloudSquall
26-10-2020, 03:01 PM
I've no doubt they will press high but that's easier to play against on a big pitch like Hampden.

I also think we will have success if we do need to go long. I'm not convinced by their centre halfs and both Nisbet and Doidge are big lads and good in the air.

That's true, at least his time around we have a couple of big units, and it will be more difficult for them to manage vs the one up front situation of previous times.

MWHIBBIES
26-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Hampden pitch is exactly the same as Easter Road.

Since90+2
26-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Hampden pitch is exactly the same as Easter Road.

It is indeed - they are both bigger than Tynecastle.

Peevemor
26-10-2020, 03:12 PM
Aye it is. Proper virgin patter.

Don't you mean PVP?

Ringothedog
26-10-2020, 03:15 PM
What's a PHM?

Pathetic Hearts moron

Since452
26-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Pathetic Hearts moron

😂

HFC93
26-10-2020, 03:40 PM
If we win on Saturday we will have knocked out Robbie Neilson twice in the same tournament. The guy is our good luck charm. If we win the cup we should name a stand after him.

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Exactly. We are a well oiled machine:greengrin

Partyraiser
26-10-2020, 04:02 PM
I rarely go into derbies confident that we're gonna a pump them, however theres not a single player in their squad would get into our starting line up, I can't see anything other than a hibs win!

matty_f
26-10-2020, 04:08 PM

trotter trotter
Posted 14 hours ago

HHGH

"It's over for them." :faf:

Come on now. I thought we died as a club in 2012? Since then we've won the Scottish Cup, played in Europe a number of times and not finished below them in the top flight since being promoted, and currently sit a full division above them.

It's almost as if they like proving they're idiots.

Unseen work
26-10-2020, 04:08 PM
I can’t believe just how many Hibs fans are confident about this game because we’re the league about them and started well this season. Have yous learned nothing?’:greengrin

In all seriousness they still have some very good players/ones that will raise their games considerably against us. The team they start will have pace, be direct and also try and crowd out the midfield to win that battle as I really think we’ll go with a 442 or potentially a 352 if Stevenson is out.

Would love Murphy to be back and fit for this but really can’t see it, he would be ideal for unlocking them and handling the ball under their pressure and aggression.

The boy Craig Wighton has been starting and scoring recently too, he’s the exact sort of rubbish striker that scores against us and is their new cult hero.

Hearts are usual will be a threat from set pieces but also the pace in their attack with Wighton, Walker, Ginnelly, Roberts and Wighton. Boyce and Naismith only need half a chance to score also.

We need to be at our best defensively and hope Doidge and Boyle turn up as we can’t expect Nisbet to do it all on his own.

Gogic will be his normal self in their and we really need to see Newell dominate from start to finish.

green day
26-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Hearts are usual will be a threat from set pieces but also the pace in their attack with Wighton, Walker, Ginnelly, Roberts and Wighton. Boyce and Naismith only need half a chance to score also.
Not convinced that all of those players will be playing or can play in the same formation :greengrin Never even heard of Roberts..........

As for Wighton? He has only recently scored his first goal for Hearts and - unsurprisingly - has continued to score a few against utter garbage - he wont do it against us.

We have better players all over the park (the keepers are probably closest matched with Gordon maybe shading it), and as long as Ross has them motivated we will win comfortably.

jeffers
26-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Not convinced that all of those players will be playing or can play in the same formation :greengrin Never even heard of Roberts..........

As for Wighton? He has only recently scored his first goal for Hearts and - unsurprisingly - has continued to score a few against utter garbage - he wont do it against us.

We have better players all over the park (the keepers are probably closest matched with Gordon maybe shading it), and as long as Ross has them motivated we will win comfortably.

Nooooooooo don’t say that.

EI255
26-10-2020, 05:08 PM

We have better players all over the park (the keepers are probably closest matched with Gordon maybe shading it), and as long as Ross has them motivated we will win comfortably.Wighton looks like some sort of cardboard cut out. He'll never handle our back line.

EI255
26-10-2020, 05:10 PM
I rarely go into derbies confident that we're gonna a pump them, however theres not a single player in their squad would get into our starting line up, I can't see anything other than a hibs win!I'd play Craig Gordon, not necessarily ahead of Rocky, however I agree with the rest. They are in the league where they should be playing.

jeffers
26-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Seen it so many times against them. Absolutely we are the better team and have the better individuals, but am I confident ? Not for a minute.

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Seen it so many times against them. Absolutely we are the better team and have the better individuals, but am I confident ? Not for a minute.

This has the same kind of feel that we had with lennon and stubbs going into Derby's. We were mentally tough, we knew it, they knew it.. and I think this teams got that too. Everyone knows their roles.

truehibernian
26-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Wighton looks like some sort of cardboard cut out. He'll never handle our back line.

Must admit, I'd have him at Hibs. Have always liked Wighton when he first came to attention at Dundee. He's an intelligent footballer, suffers from a lack of confidence. Certainly wouldn't be underestimating him to be honest.

These games are won in midfield and we have a stronger midfield than them at present in my opinion. I think it will be a cracking game. Will be very interesting to see how both sides deal with no fans being there.

bigwheel
26-10-2020, 05:26 PM

I agree...can’t believe any Hibs fan with more than a 10 year history will assume this is a slam dunk ...for me , if we turn up we will win , but if we are off it , we could easily get turned over ...looking forward to it actually ..think we will turn up for the big game

HendoDelivered
26-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Love your confidence mate but stuff like this can look very sill (if) we lose.

As a few posters have said, we’ve seen it all before.

Austinho
26-10-2020, 05:31 PM
The game being played without fans is the best thing that could happen to us if some of the pant wetting comments on here are anything to go by. No nervous energy from the stands, less pressure for the players, no rubbing the previous Hampden trips in our faces or Hearts fans encouraging their players get extra fired up. The game will be won on ability and tactics, and will be less of the ‘battle’ it usually descends into. All of which will suit us more.

Austinho
26-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Must admit, I'd have him at Hibs. Have always liked Wighton when he first came to attention at Dundee. He's an intelligent footballer, suffers from a lack of confidence. Certainly wouldn't be underestimating him to be honest.

These games are won in midfield and we have a stronger midfield than them at present in my opinion. I think it will be a cracking game. Will be very interesting to see how both sides deal with no fans being there.You’d take Craig Wighton at Hibs when we have Nisbet and Doidge up front?

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 05:41 PM

If we lose we lose. Whatever I say won't effect that. But Ive every right to be as confident as I am. They're dug*****!!

Hibs4185
26-10-2020, 05:49 PM
A good 4 or 5-0 drubbing would be totally deserved for their shambolic derisory little championship club but it will probably be a tight scrappy nervy 1-0.

They are so Jammy it’s unbelievable

truehibernian
26-10-2020, 05:50 PM
You’d take Craig Wighton at Hibs when we have Nisbet and Doidge up front?

It's not a like-for-like argument Austinho, of course I'd keep Doidge and Nisbet. I'm merely saying I've always like Craig Wighton as a player and think he's a good footballer. If it was a like for like argument, there is nothing as yet I've seen from Drey Wright that tells me he will be a mainstay at Hibs. Time and games will tell of course, but he's not set the heather on fire.

Both sides on Saturday have good players, I think we have more quality in midfield and more quality up top too.

The 90+2
26-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Pathetic Hearts moron

If it was in reference to Neilson, like Levein they are both in the pumps his maw category.

The 90+2
26-10-2020, 06:02 PM

These games are won in midfield and we have a stronger midfield than them at present in my opinion. I think it will be a cracking game. Will be very interesting to see how both sides deal with no fans being there.

Whighton is absolute pap man 🤣🤣🤣

Since452
26-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Whighton is absolute pap man 🤣🤣🤣

Poor man's Oli Shaw

The 90+2
26-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Poor man's Oli Shaw

Was thinking more Ross Caldwell with perhaps a better attitude but good shout.

jeffers
26-10-2020, 06:42 PM
This has the same kind of feel that we had with lennon and stubbs going into Derby's. We were mentally tough, we knew it, they knew it.. and I think this teams got that too. Everyone knows their roles.
And how many times did Lennon and Stubbs teams beat them at Tynecastle ?

Sammy7nil
26-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Hibs 7/5 and Hearts 6/4

The bookies expect a very tight match for those suggesting it is a penalty kick they should lump on.

Glory Lurker
26-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Hibs 7/5 and Hearts 6/4

The bookies expect a very tight match for those suggesting it is a penalty kick should lump on.

Wishing I hadn't clicked back on this thread now, thanks!!! I would need to spend the rest of the week mentally preparing to be able to handle penalties. If it does come to that I'll have to go out for a walk.

JammyDoidger
26-10-2020, 07:23 PM
And how many times did Lennon and Stubbs teams beat them at Tynecastle ?

How many times did we get beat tynecastle? We went something like 9 in a row unbeaten.

Ringothedog
26-10-2020, 07:31 PM
If it was in reference to Neilson, like Levein they are both in the pumps his maw category.

😂

jacomo
26-10-2020, 07:50 PM

We’re gonna rip them a new one.

EDIT: if Budge isn’t crying and bleating about unfairness at the end of the match I’ll be disappointed.

eezyrider
26-10-2020, 07:53 PM
We beat them when in the lower league and there's not doubt in my mind they can do the same. It never seems to matter that we have a better team, Hearts always seem to over achieve against us. We have to be at our best.

EZ

jeffers
26-10-2020, 07:57 PM
How many times did we get beat tynecastle? We went something like 9 in a row unbeaten.
I don’t remember us winning there once under either Stubbs or Lennon. Two notable losses under Lennon were in the cup and when we were trying for 2nd. Hearts lost all their games in the top six that season except the game against us. My point being even when we are the much better side I never go into games against them expecting anything other than a hard game.

I really hope your confidence proves to be well founded.

Diclonius
26-10-2020, 08:06 PM
I don’t remember us winning there once under either Stubbs or Lennon. Two notable losses under Lennon were in the cup and when we were trying for 2nd. Hearts lost all their games in the top six that season except the game against us. My point being even when we are the much better side I never go into games against them expecting anything other than a hard game.

I really hope your confidence proves to be well founded.

There's a rather odd run going on just now in the derby of no home wins for either team since 2018, a run of seven games. We're unbeaten in three at Tynecastle and they're unbeaten in four at ER. This is following a record of no away derby wins in fourteen games from 2014-18.

jeffers
26-10-2020, 08:10 PM
There's a rather odd run going on just now in the derby of no home wins for either team since 2018, a run of seven games. We're unbeaten in three at Tynecastle and they're unbeaten in four at ER. This is following a record of no away derby wins in fourteen games from 2014-18.

Didn’t realise that but when you consider how crap they were last season and still beat us twice at home it just goes to show you can never take a result for granted in a derby.

cocteautwin
27-10-2020, 05:16 AM
"It's over for them." :faf:

Come on now. I thought we died as a club in 2012? Since then we've won the Scottish Cup, played in Europe a number of times and not finished below them in the top flight since being promoted, and currently sit a full division above them.

It's almost as if they like proving they're idiots.

Since 2012 they’ve suffered an Admin, 2 relegations, and spent close to £30m of other people’s money.

Since452
27-10-2020, 05:28 AM
Since 2012 they’ve suffered an Admin, 2 relegations, and spent close to £30m of other people’s money.

Not to mention completely ruin a new 1 million pound pitch by hosting a concert on it, take 4 years to build a single tiered stand, running 10 million over budget and costing around 25 million in total. Dragging clubs to court for having the audacity to defend their promotions.

The best comedy club around.

Robbo6-2
27-10-2020, 05:53 AM
It was a terrible decision in the first place to play Murphy on the Tuesday night vs Brora Rangers.

I get he needs minutes but two days after was a stupid decision and has back fired massively

JimBHibees
27-10-2020, 05:58 AM
It was a terrible decision in the first place to play Murphy on the Tuesday night vs Brora Rangers.

I get he needs minutes but two days after was a stupid decision and has back fired massively

We played Hamilton on the Friday before Brora so gap wasn't an issue just one of these things. Not like he was hacked down just pulled a muscle. Made sense to try and give him some game time on grass at home rather than the plastic pitch games we had after that.

Hibs07p
27-10-2020, 06:47 AM

Carrying on with the theme of "home" advantage, We were the "home" team in the previous 2 hampden fixtures, they are the "home" team this time around, payback is coming.
Since May 2012, when they held the trophy for 6.5 months, after we knocked them out in December 2012, the record shows in the 5 games since then, there has been 2 draws at tiny, 2 replay wins for the good guys, and 1 win for the tarts in 2018 at tiny.
I've been over confident in the past, only to suffer the kick in the baws when they get a last minute goal to secure a win / draw after we played them of the park.
I'm quite relaxed this time around, we've the better squad, mentally and physically tougher than in previous encounters, but we need to play to our strengths of attacking them at pace, defending properly, and not allow them to "draw" fouls in dangerous areas. The only danger I'm feeling is that the referee gets conned by their play acting whether they're defending or attacking, going down easily. If it's down to pure football, there will only be winner.

GGTTH

Since452
27-10-2020, 07:26 AM

I think it was an ideal opportunity to give him minutes. He'll more than likely feature on Saturday.

Bostonhibby
27-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Whighton is absolute pap man [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]But we need to do something about the seagull problem at Easter road and if he can chase them for 90 minutes plus a half hour before kick off I say give the guy a chance.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Aldo
27-10-2020, 09:14 AM
I have watched Hibs for more than 40 years and nothing is a certainty, even more in a Derby!

I’m a tad nervous and let’s not get carried away and think this will be easy. It will be far from it.

Yes they’ve not played many games but one thing we can be assured of, they will be up for it.

If the last meeting at ER is anything to go by we will have to play well to get anything from this game. Yes they’ve lost players but they are still have a few players that could do damage.

I know we are playing well, scoring and not conceding much but it’s a Derby and for me anything can happen.

Quietly confident but could the unthinkable happen??