PDA

View Full Version : Davie Proven Commentary

granty6_2
11-10-2020, 07:03 PM
I am too young to remember him as a player, but why is he so negative as a commentator?

It seems he almost wants Scotland to lose and praises the opposition more than Scottish players.

Possibly just a personal opinion, but seems very opposed to a Scottish success?!?

Zazu62
11-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Sky need someone like Sutton

Iggy Pope
11-10-2020, 07:05 PM
I am too young to remember him as a player, but why is he so negative as a commentator?

It seems he almost wants Scotland to lose and praises the opposition more than Scottish players.

Possibly just a personal opinion, but seems very opposed to a Scottish success?!?

Suggested the fellah going off was clattered by Kenny McLean there but it looked the other way around.
He is awfy dreary to listen to.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Did he not have his career cut short (was it not kinda promising?) And did he now suffer from ME?

The Count
11-10-2020, 07:08 PM
Proven seems to have a job for life.Time for Sky to move him on he has been rotten from day one.

J-C
11-10-2020, 07:09 PM
He's Provan to be an arse.

hibby rae
11-10-2020, 07:20 PM
You could always turn the sound off and enjoy the the insightful viewpoints of the charismatic Craig Levein on the BBC 😉😉

granty6_2
11-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Pleased it’s not just me - I’m the first to admit I have a limited knowledge of footballing intricacies but Proven just seems a dinosaur.

lord bunberry
11-10-2020, 07:23 PM
He’s absolutely awful, why do sky inflict people like him and walker on us?

Radium
11-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Pat Nevin on the Radio 5 commentary, worth putting up with the delay on the tv pictures

Jonnyboy
11-10-2020, 07:37 PM
Provan is poor and so is Ian Crocker who seems to love a negative fact about Scotland. I forgive him because of his commentary for the last twenty minutes of our Scottish Cup win 😉

BoomtownHibees
11-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Ian Crocker mentioned Kevin Nisbet and Provan sat in silence as if he didn’t know who he was

justlikebrazil
11-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Proven is not a hibs fan!!! Never has anything good to say about the Hibees. Why sky use him is unbelievable his voice is so boring and has no excitement in it!!

PatHead
11-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Ian Crocker mentioned Kevin Nisbet and Provan sat in silence as if he didn’t know who he was

Probably didn't as he doesn't play for the old firm.

Terrible summariser who is overly negative

neil7908
11-10-2020, 08:37 PM
He's one of these guys that just needs to get shuffled off. He's out of date and not sure why anyone would think he's an authority on football in 2020

Onion
11-10-2020, 08:44 PM

Like many commentators, over the years, their hope for Scotland has been crushed mercilessly over 90 mins. Proven finds it easier to just anticipate Scotland kicking him in the nuts, so banks on the inevitable win for the opposition. He's a decent commentator but like a dog that's been kick too often.

JimBHibees
11-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Some really good passages of play was completely met with silence while he and Crocker obsessed over no shots on target. Absolute torture and obviously wants Scotland to lose so he can moan how crap we are. Get tae.

JimBHibees
11-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Like many commentators, over the years, their hope for Scotland has been crushed mercilessly over 90 mins. Proven finds it easier to just anticipate Scotland kicking him in the nuts, so banks on the inevitable win for the opposition. He's a decent commentator but like a dog that's been kick too often.

He has never been a decent commentator ever

RitchieHibs
11-10-2020, 09:24 PM
He's one of these guys that just needs to get shuffled off. He's out of date and not sure why anyone would think he's an authority on football in 2020

Probably cheap and can be relied upon to feed the rangers/hearts element an anti Hibs roasting at some point or another. Its why very few, if any, pro Hibs voices are employed in the media especially at the BBC.

CmoantheHibs
11-10-2020, 09:31 PM
Can never recall him being a decent commentator. I do have a dodgy memory but don’t think it’s that bad:greengrin

matty_f
11-10-2020, 09:50 PM
He’s brutal, totally takes the enjoyment out of watching football and offers nothing in terms of insight.

bingo70
11-10-2020, 09:58 PM
I never saw all of the game tonight but towards the end he praised Gallagher but then immediately felt the need to qualify that praise by saying he wasn’t up against much as they had nothing going forward.

Why bother saying that? Why not just give the guy the praise?

Jim44
11-10-2020, 10:30 PM
He’s brutal, totally takes the enjoyment out of watching football and offers nothing in terms of insight.

I never saw all of the game tonight but towards the end he praised Gallagher but then immediately felt the need to qualify that praise by saying he wasn’t up against much as they had nothing going forward.

Why bother saying that? Why not just give the guy the praise?

Provan is possibly the worst commentator/pundit/analyst on TV. It doesn’t say much for Sky as they obviously have no quality control. Even the most neutral critic would see that he talks utter drivel in the most monotonous tone imaginable. He’s as thick as pig***** but delivers his nonsense with confidence and authority.

JimBHibees
12-10-2020, 05:45 AM

Yep I automatically sigh when his droning voice comes on just after kick off in a game. As you say offers nothing technically or tactically and is relentlessly negative. The Scottish Mark Lawrenson played a million years ago and uses that experience as the basis for his modern insight. Torture.

JimBHibees
12-10-2020, 05:46 AM
He’s absolutely awful, why do sky inflict people like him and walker on us?

Must be because they want to show Scottish football in its worst light. They don't want younger enthusiastic guys who know what they are talking about.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-10-2020, 06:35 AM
Perpetuating the stereotype of the dour Scot.

Sky are the kingmakers in many. Footballing country. They effectively decided to skew the UK market allowing Scottish football to wither on the vine whilst E gets all the riches - and a cheap source of local talent should they wish to raid over the border.

That said those in charge of scottish football have done the nation few favours in their kck-handed handling of our game in terms of sustainability and development its criminal and they should be in the dock for this. What will it take for folks to storm the gates and put these charlatans up against a wall? Maybe through our apathy we get what we deserve and the uglies self-interest just means as long S they are kept sweet the status quo remains - how on earth did we not get rid of the 11–1 vote in the Premiership?!

Brightside
12-10-2020, 06:39 AM
Tbf it’s hard to be upbeat watching the last 7 games.

green day
12-10-2020, 06:58 AM

Just heard Steve Clarkes interview this morning, it was the International equivalent of that "If its entertainment you want, go to the cinema".

He is absolutely going to get a lot of draws and some 1-0 wins...................but if we qualify for something I dont think I will be clamouring for tickets to follow the team abroad, an utter borefest.

One Day
12-10-2020, 07:01 AM

I noticed this as well. He dislikes Hibs. don't know why, (does anyone know). Also when Crocker mentioned that Marciano had made a howler you could almost hear
Proven chuckle.

He's an absolute tosser off a man

bingo70
12-10-2020, 07:06 AM

I’ll Take you back to the bit I quoted earlier though when he felt the need to qualify praise for one of our defenders by saying it was because they never had much up front.

It’s unnecessarily negative.

I only saw about half an hour of the second half and we played some good stuff, if he can’t be positive on the back of the week we’ve had Sky need to get rid of him immediately.

FWIW I’m sure this falls into the tin foil hat category but i think he fits the bill perfectly for Sky in terms of helping keeping Scottish football down so it knows it’s place. It’s in their interest for young Scottish people to be more interested in English Premiership football so the last thing they want is people promoting our game properly

Andy Walker another example.

JimBHibees
12-10-2020, 07:29 AM
I’ll Take you back to the bit I quoted earlier though when he felt the need to qualify praise for one of our defenders by saying it was because they never had much up front.

It’s unnecessarily negative.

I only saw about half an hour of the second half and we played some good stuff, if he can’t be positive on the back of the week we’ve had Sky need to get rid of him immediately.

FWIW I’m sure this falls into the tin foil hat category but i think he fits the bill perfectly for Sky in terms of helping keeping Scottish football down so it knows it’s place. It’s in their interest for young Scottish people to be more interested in English Premiership football so the last thing they want is people promoting our game properly

Andy Walker another example.

Agree with every word.

JimBHibees
12-10-2020, 07:30 AM
Just heard Steve Clarkes interview this morning, it was the International equivalent of that "If its entertainment you want, go to the cinema".

He is absolutely going to get a lot of draws and some 1-0 wins...................but if we qualify for something I dont think I will be clamouring for tickets to follow the team abroad, an utter borefest.

Actually thought we played some decent stuff in second half and looked solid defensively.

green day
12-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Actually thought we played some decent stuff in second half and looked solid defensively.

I dont deny that, but in general the "style" he is trying to bring to Scotland is brutal.

There seems to be some groundswell among journalists that us fans should now be grateful that we are not losing these games and should ignore the eye bleeding matches for the one in ten that is actually quite good.

IMO we may well end up an "ok" team, we may well qualify for something or other.................but we wont win a match when we get there playing this brand of football because the manager is so negative.

I used to go to a lot of Scotland matches, away as well (obvs last was France 98) - and I wouldnt waste my money travelling if this is what we are to see.

heidtheba
12-10-2020, 10:17 AM
A Scotland game needs a football 'Murray Walker', someone who can be polite about everyone, can be totally behind the ones he likes (but still is very respectful to the other players) and who can make anything seem interesting and laden with anticipation.

EI255
12-10-2020, 10:26 AM
He is a very depressing Co-commentator. Sky can surely do better than him. Kids won't know who he is and, really, was he ever that good back in the day?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
12-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Sky had a massive shake up of the soccer Saturday crew, got rid of all the "old guard" so to say. Phil Thompson, Le Tissier and champagne Charlie etc all gone. One of the new guys doing it on Saturday was absolutely hopeless, he was covering the Salford v Tranmere game.

Don't see whats wrong with Proven to be honest, he pretty much calls it as he sees it. Scotland are poor and he basically says that.

And by the way, Marcianos mistake is an absolute shocker but I didn't hear him laugh when Crocker mentioned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BZ3XV65Og

ancient hibee
12-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Must admit I never have the TV loud enough to hear the commentators. I started to go off them when they started having a commentator and a totally unnecessary sidekick.The first ones were ok as they were normally guys who had done something in the game but once it was a resting place for OF jobseekers that was me finished. The worst thing at a game is when you have people behind you who do nothing but rabbit on,often about nothing on the pitch. Why have it at home when you can do something about it? After all at a game do you need somebody to tell you what you're seeing? I never listen to the half time/full time pundits at Scottish matches either. The ones down south are streets ahead.

hhibs
12-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Perpetuating the stereotype of the dour Scot.

Sky are the kingmakers in many. Footballing country. They effectively decided to skew the UK market allowing Scottish football to wither on the vine whilst E gets all the riches - and a cheap source of local talent should they wish to raid over the border.

That said those in charge of scottish football have done the nation few favours in their kck-handed handling of our game in terms of sustainability and development its criminal and they should be in the dock for this. What will it take for folks to storm the gates and put these charlatans up against a wall? Maybe through our apathy we get what we deserve and the uglies self-interest just means as long S they are kept sweet the status quo remains - how on earth did we not get rid of the 11–1 vote in the Premiership?!

Aberdeen.

Provan is both snide and not that well versed on his subject matter. IMO

overdrive
12-10-2020, 11:04 AM
He lives in the same village as my former in-laws. Not many people have a good word to say about him there either, I believe.

He is one of these people that never seems to have a positive thing to say.

JimBHibees
12-10-2020, 11:48 AM
I dont deny that, but in general the "style" he is trying to bring to Scotland is brutal.

There seems to be some groundswell among journalists that us fans should now be grateful that we are not losing these games and should ignore the eye bleeding matches for the one in ten that is actually quite good.

IMO we may well end up an "ok" team, we may well qualify for something or other.................but we wont win a match when we get there playing this brand of football because the manager is so negative.

I used to go to a lot of Scotland matches, away as well (obvs last was France 98) - and I wouldnt waste my money travelling if this is what we are to see.

Scotland under Craig Brown wasnt exactly free flowing samba style football either. :greengrin

zitelli62
12-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Arthur montford would have kicked him into touch.

Carheenlea
12-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Pat Nevin on the Radio 5 commentary, worth putting up with the delay on the tv pictures

I was travelling back up the road from a weekend away down south last night and enjoyed the commentary of the Scotland game on 5Live with Pat Nevin as co commentator to John Acres.

Bright and engaging while managing to avoid the traditional dull pundit-speak clichés that plagues Scottish broadcasters. He was laughing during the late bout of pressure as Scotland were hanging on but his delight with the result when FT showed just how much he cares. 5Live`s gain is Radio Scotland`s loss, but Pat Nevin wouldn`t really fit in with "the guys", as Richard Gordon likes to call the Sportsound clique.

green day
12-10-2020, 02:54 PM
I was travelling back up the road from a weekend away down south last night and enjoyed the commentary of the Scotland game on 5Live with Pat Nevin as co commentator to John Acres.

Bright and engaging while managing to avoid the traditional dull pundit-speak clichés that plagues Scottish broadcasters. He was laughing during the late bout of pressure as Scotland were hanging on but his delight with the result when FT showed just how much he cares. 5Live`s gain is Radio Scotland`s loss, but Pat Nevin wouldn`t really fit in with "the guys", as Richard Gordon likes to call the Sportsound clique.

Just a pity that people like Pat cant be involved in something in opposition to the Saturday Sportsound, as I think there would a good audience of fans sick to the back teeth of the old boys club.

Smartie
12-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Just a pity that people like Pat cant be involved in something in opposition to the Saturday Sportsound, as I think there would a good audience of fans sick to the back teeth of the old boys club.

I’d heard a whisper a while back that a well known, prosperous Celtic / Scotland minded individual was keen to set up such a radio station, aiming in parts to take the game to sport sound and radio Clyde.

I know someone who had been sounded out as a possible presenter and to help shape the station and tbh it sounded really promising.

Not sure what happened (probably Covid) but it must have fallen by the wayside.

bigwheel
12-10-2020, 03:27 PM
I’d heard a whisper a while back that a well known, prosperous Celtic / Scotland minded individual was keen to set up such a radio station, aiming in parts to take the game to sport sound and radio Clyde.

I know someone who had been sounded out as a possible presenter and to help shape the station and tbh it sounded really promising.

Not sure what happened (probably Covid) but it must have fallen by the wayside.

Is that the only way Rod Stewart can get his music played these days ? [emoji2][emoji6]

Kato
12-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Just a pity that people like Pat cant be involved in something in opposition to the Saturday Sportsound, as I think there would a good audience of fans sick to the back teeth of the old boys club.Too true.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
12-10-2020, 05:11 PM
He lives in the same village as my former in-laws. Not many people have a good word to say about him there either, I believe.

He is one of these people that never seems to have a positive thing to say.

Sky’s Hermit Crab 😂

Only kidding, G

RitchieHibs
12-10-2020, 06:51 PM

Yeah, definitely. It'd be fantastic to have an alternative to the mainly rangers/hearts/aberdeen partisan clique that is sportsound. The sooner the better.

SideBurns
12-10-2020, 08:53 PM
He is a very depressing Co-commentator. Sky can surely do better than him. Kids won't know who he is and, really, was he ever that good back in the day?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

For all his faults as a commentator, I thought Provan was a very good player. Don't think he got a lot of caps, but played in an era when Scotland had several excellent wingers (both left & right) - Strachan, Peter Weir, John Robertson of Notts Forest, Davie Cooper, and Pat Nevin all hit their peak at varying times between the late 70s and mid to late 80s. Even the likes of Eamonn Bannon & Ralph Milne at Dundee Utd, both of whom would get plenty caps nowadays, as would John Colquhoun.

bigwheel
12-10-2020, 09:13 PM
For all his faults as a commentator, I thought Provan was a very good player. Don't think he got a lot of caps, but played in an era when Scotland had several excellent wingers (both left & right) - Strachan, Peter Weir, John Robertson of Notts Forest, Davie Cooper, and Pat Nevin all hit their peak at varying times between the late 70s and mid to late 80s. Even the likes of Eamonn Bannon & Ralph Milne at Dundee Utd, both of whom would get plenty caps nowadays, as would John Colquhoun.

Yes. Was a good player...as you say absolutely terrible Co-comms . Seems to be impossible to get emptied from these roles...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dp00
14-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Mr negative tonight again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
14-10-2020, 08:38 PM
Provan would give an Aspirin a sare heid

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jim44
14-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Mr negative tonight again

Provan would give an Aspirin a sare heid

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Absolute muppet. Everything’s negative. Scottish keeper makes a decent save ...... muppet comments “ Keeper saves but you would expect him to do that”. He takes the shine off everything. Huge chip on his shoulder for some reason.

gbhibby
14-10-2020, 08:49 PM
When Ian Crocker mentioned the Czechs guy hairstyle he deflected the comment. Crocker was comparing the guys hairstyle to Proven's mullet, Proven can't take a joke at his expense.

lyonhibs
14-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Absolutely appalling. Just a ****ing gob*****. Puts the negative angle on anything and everything.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-10-2020, 08:57 PM
After a Czech Republic attack he said "that move deserved better"

It was a great attacking move tbf, but wtf is that about saying it DESERVES BETTER!!!

So negative

dp00
14-10-2020, 09:11 PM
The one that got me was when he said they had 65% possession and he didn’t know how they hadn’t scored

Sammy7nil
14-10-2020, 09:58 PM
He was yesterday’s man 15 years ago how he gets a gig I don’t know.

wookie70
14-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Very poor commentator and I would much rather have a partisan co-commentator. I suppose Provan is that but I'm looking for someone who wants Scotland to do well