PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Cove Rangers 10102020)

Jonnyboy
10-10-2020, 04:01 PM
The rules of football determine that a game shall be played in two periods of 45 minutes and today at Balmoral Park, Hibs only managed to show up for the second of those. That first 45 minutes was as bad as I’ve seen from Hibs and yet we still created two excellent chances to score. Neither was taken whilst the hosts took one of their chances from a Higgins free kick, but more of that later.

With his squad further depleted by the loss of Paul McGinn, who had earned an entirely merited a Scotland call up from Steve Clark, Jack Ross was pretty much forced to play a back three of Gray, McGregor and Stevenson. The better news was that the midfield and attack looked strong, at least on paper.

Newly promoted to League One, Paul Hartley’s Cove Rangers side started really well and threatened Barnes’ goal inside the first minute. It was a prelude to them dominating the first ten minutes but, ironically, they should really have gone behind just after that when Boyle broke free on the right and put a tremendous cross into the six yard area where Doidge had lost his marker and had a clear header at an empty goal. Unbelievably the big striker aimed his header downwards and the fiery synthetic surface did him no favours as the ball bounced high to hit the bar rather than the back of the net.

Cove took that let off in their stride and proceeded to dominate the midfield with non stop running and good movement. Just past the quarter hour mark, David Gray was punished for obstructing Megginson around twenty yards from goal. Just as he had done the last time out, Dylan Barnes set up his wall and went to cover the other side of the goals. Cove centre half Higgins then struck a shot over the wall and into the net. I felt that Barnes had been rightly criticised for the goal conceded against Brora but this one was not his fault as the ball never rose above seven feet and our wall failed to jump.

The hosts were bouncing now and Hibs were having a hard time of it in trying to gain any meaningful possession. Our midfield was being overrun and our strikers starved of possession but one bright spot witnessed Boyle releasing Doidge in the box. Christian controlled the ball well and struck a fierce angled drive but goalkeeper McKenzie was quick off his line and blocked the effort. At the other end, Megginson cleverly turned his man and hit a shot which Barnes got down well, first to stop and then to collect when the ball run free a little.

Half time couldn’t come quickly enough for me as something had to change if we were going to get anything from the game. Listening to Jack’s post match interview it’s clear he had a few stern words to offer his players. That, together with the substitution of Drey Wright in favour of Jamie Gullan and a change of shape to 4-4-2 had the desired effect. When Doidge fed Nisbet who did well in dribbling the ball along the eighteen yard line before picking out Boyle, allowing Martin to look up and unselfishly roll the ball across the six yard box for a Gullan a tap in. It was a good move and will have knocked a bit of the steam out of a plucky home side.

The 4-4-2 formation saw David Gray move into the middle alongside McGregor with Melker Hallberg deployed at right back. Hallberg, like his team mates, had a poor first half but did a decent job as a makeshift full back.

Cove tried to lift their game again and looked to test Barnes, without much success as the newly created back four held them at bay. Hibs struck again on the hour when Hallberg’s cross into the box witnessed Nisbet getting in front of his marker to guide the delivery over McKenzie and into the top corner. It was a moment of genuine quality from a player who will surely score many more goals in his Hibs career.

In an effort to change the flow of the game, Paul Hartley made a change by bringing on Semple for Livingstone but with time ticking on the hosts seemed to paying the price for their high tempo first half performance. Indeed a spate of bookings for Cove pretty much came about because the superior fitness of the Hibs players had them resorting to fouls to stop any danger arising.

Kyle Magennis, who had come on for Steven McGinn just before Nisbet’s goal, was looking pretty impressive and his quick thinking saw him steal the ball from Milne, rush into the box and strike a fierce angled drive that McKenzie did well to save. At the other end a clearance from the Hibs defence fell to Semple who got his body shape spot on and unleashed a thunderous volley at goal from twenty yards only to see Barnes was alert enough to push it over the bar.

This wasn’t a classic by any means and a game that will probably only bring negative comments in future but for me the lasting memory will be of Nisbet’s goal. The laddie is oozing class at the minute and long may that continue.

In rating the players I feel I can only offer a player of the half because in the first 45 minutes we were never really at the races.

Barnes – As I said earlier he got stick for the Brora free kick and justifiably so but the blame for the lost goal to a similar free kick today lies fairly and squarely with the guys in the wall.

Gray – For me, SDG was one of the very few bright spots in an abysmal first half. Over the piece he was not spectacular but there were pleasing signs at times of the SDG we all revere so much.

McGregor – Darren had a worrying tendency to go walkabout in the first half but defended solidly in the second when Cove resorted more and more to the high ball into the box.

Stevenson – With little in the way of cover for him in the first half, Lewis struggled at times but he was far better in the second with Gullan tracking back to assist.

Boyle – I’d like to see him given the ball a lot more often as he is more than able to trouble defences. When he did get the ball he created a stick on chance for Doidge and then fed Gullan for the equaliser.

Hallberg – A man who has been the subject of a lengthy debate on here with opinions polarised but if we forgive him the first half, given his ten team mates did little better, we must surely offer some positive thought to him doing well as a makeshift right back.

Mallan – With those around him not getting to grips, Stevie struggled in the first half and never really got going in the second. There were times when we seemed to have three sitting with Hallberg and McGinn either side of Mallan. Ideally, I’d like to see him at the point of a diamond but Jack doesn’t seem to favour using that formation.

McGinn – Can only really comment on the fifteen minutes he got in the second half because there was nothing of note done in the first. He looked short of match practice to me and was one of a number that struggled with the playing surface.

Wright – It just didn’t happen for Drey this afternoon. Lewis was left alone far too often and I think Drey was rightly replaced at half time.

Doidge – Christian will have nightmares about that header and I’m sure Richard Gordon will find reason to mention it in future. He had a decent second half though and his strength in keeping the ball under pressure provided a solid foundation for our second goal.

Nisbet – Starved of meaningful possession in the first half, he fared better in the second and as I’m sure you’ve already guessed he wins my man of the half award. I will cherish the thought of that finish for many years to come.

Gullan – After the disappointments he suffered against Brora I’m delighted the laddie got his goal today. Folk might say it was only a tap in but you have to get yourself in the right place to accommodate that.

Magennis – More minutes for Kyle will serve him well and I have to say I’m already impressed with what he seems to bring to the table.

Jack Ross – I hope, like me, that Jack is praying Steve Clarke doesn’t call up Kevin Nisbet!

Referee – Euan Anderson had a reasonable game I thought.

The fans – Those inventive enough to bring a ladder to the game deserve praise for doing so and I’m pretty sure I recognised a face or two.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy !

Said it on another thread:

How good is Kevin Nisbet ?

More like it from The Hammer drifting in from the left into the middle for a tap-in a la Aubameyang

Will do his confidence the world of good

Good effort from Cove Rangers but after an hour they looked as though they had run their race

SingaporeHibs
10-10-2020, 04:43 PM
All very fair. 3 positives from today, 1) Nisbet’s goal was another indication of the quality he has. Wonderful finish, he is going to have a great career if he keeps his head down and keeps working hard to develop. Already cannot be far away from an international call up. It should be way too early for him but given Scotland’s lack of quality in that department and given some of the call ups maybe not so far fetched. 2) Magennis showed really great early signs of his potential which after such a long spell out with injury is really encouraging. 3) the win.

Post match I began to wonder if the extent of the gusty wind wasn’t as obvious on TV. Not making excuses for the first half but maybe the conditions played a part in proceedings. Any which way, more game time for a lot of players and we continue to win games despite a large number of changes. It’s only the win that really matters today.

h1bs4life
10-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Good summing up of the game. For their goal at the time thought Barnes looked suspect until seen replays at half-time up and over the wall ,have to say excellent free kick keeper no chance.
He did well to stop them going 2 ahead as Stevenson fell asleep at free kick also looked sharp with the late shot they had.
Game of 2 halves , while we were poor in the 1st half think it took us along time to adjust to the plastic pitch .
Doidge's header goes in the back of the net on a grass pitch.
Ross got the sub right a half time and 2 good goals won us the game.
Plastic pitches have no place in top flight football, they all play differently and are a huge advantage to the home team.
The back 3 in the 1st half best days are behind them but what you can't fault their energy drive and commitment to the cause .
Gray especially ,although injuries have caught up him still plays the only he knows and doesn't shirk anything .
Midfield was non existing in the 1st half but much better 2nd half.
Not going to complain to much ,but was a win a tricky venue on a tricky pitch with nothing like our 1st team.
Positives more minutes for fringe players , goalkeeper looks ok as back up , Magennis got more minutes , Nisbet looks like a finisher ,2 good goals and hopefully no injuries.
On to Forfar , plastic pitch there as well let's get another win there.
While both cup performances have not been up to much it would be far more concerning if we were at full strength playing like we have.

H18 SFR
10-10-2020, 04:50 PM
As always, some interesting points.

Just one thing, it seems Richard Gordon is referenced on here more and more. Is he really that relevant? Are we making him relevant by continually bringing him up? I don’t think he’s even been held in any high regard, for someone who is a nobody he is all over here like a rash. He was mentioned in a different context during the match day thread.

I’m not sure many will automatically agree with me.

PatHead
10-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the summary. It truly was an awful first half even though Dodge had two great chances.

Much better in the second though we have to remember the standard of the opposition.

Anyone know what was wrong with Hanlon?

Forza Fred
10-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Good summary.
Kevin Nisbet’s super strike certainly was the high point.
Maybe it was because the sound on Bein Sports Oz wasn’t working the whole game here, that caused more gloom, but that first half was as bad as I have seen us play that I can remember.

Thankfully we got the required goal tally in the second half but the message I got from it was...

We can compete against ANY side when we have our recognised ‘best’ starting eleven on the park, but we will struggle, severely, if there are a few absences.

JimBHibees
10-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Great and accurate write up. Spot on.

Forza Fred
10-10-2020, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the summary. It truly was an awful first half even though Dodge had two great chances.

Much better in the second though we have to remember the standard of the opposition.

Anyone know what was wrong with Hanlon?

To answer your question No....but footage of the Brora game shows him grimacing and clutching his groin area as He ran back to the centre circle immediately after his goal, so maybe a groin strain

PatHead
10-10-2020, 09:29 PM
To answer your question No....but footage of the Brora game shows him grimacing and clutching his groin area as He ran back to the centre circle immediately after his goal, so maybe a groin strain

Thanks. Didn't think I had missed anything.

Jonnyboy
11-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Just one thing, it seems Richard Gordon is referenced on here more and more. Is he really that relevant? Are we making him relevant by continually bringing him up? I don’t think he’s even been held in any high regard, for someone who is a nobody he is all over here like a rash. He was mentioned in a different context during the match day thread.

His open and sneering ridiculing of Christian Doidge was totally unprofessional and will not be forgotten easily I reckon

oneone73
11-10-2020, 02:22 PM
His open and sneering ridiculing of Christian Doidge was totally unprofessional and will not be forgotten easily I reckon

Did the same with Malonga.

Since452
11-10-2020, 02:28 PM

I vividly remember Richard Gordon saying on the radio years ago that he had a soft spot for Hearts. Explains some of his strange comments. He also has an odd habit for constantly saying Hibernian instead of Hibs. Always found it a bit strange. Don't know many people that use our Christian name in general conversation.

JimBHibees
11-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Did the same with Malonga.

Also the ridiculous relentless calling out of Garry O'Connor when he was pulled up by SFA for diving for a pen even after he was considered innocent, refused to let it go. Who can also forget his bizarre karma comment when we were relegated never really understood that.

Iggy Pope
11-10-2020, 02:41 PM
I vividly remember Richard Gordon saying on the radio years ago that he had a soft spot for Hearts. Explains some of his strange comments. He also has an odd habit for constantly saying Hibernian instead of Hibs. Always found it a bit strange. Don't know many people that use our Christian name in general conversation.

He might be a clown but this habit is not even close to being strange.

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2020, 02:46 PM

Steven Thomson the St Mirren supporting ex Hun BBC pundit that ” disnae really like fitba anyway” always says ‘Hibernian’

kaimendhibs
11-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Also the ridiculous relentless calling out of Garry O'Connor when he was pulled up by SFA for diving for a pen even after he was considered innocent, refused to let it go. Who can also forget his bizarre karma comment when we were relegated never really understood that.Richard Gordon is someone I know I would instantly dislike if introduced to him.
Irrational I know but hey ho

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
11-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Who brought ladders to the game?

linlithgowhibbie
11-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Who brought ladders to the game?

Andy B was one of the "ladder" crew:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
11-10-2020, 07:42 PM

✅😎

Keith_M
12-10-2020, 08:33 AM

Cheers.

I didn't realise there was more than one of them

:greengrin

EDIT; I've just seen the photo in the DR (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cove-rangers-fan-takes-hibs-22823476) ��