PDA

View Full Version : Standing in front of the ball at free kicks

lord bunberry
09-10-2020, 08:32 PM
When will the authorities crack down on this. So many teams deliberately foul then put a player in front of the ball to stop the free kick being taken. When cheating anti football is allowed as a tactic the game can only suffer. A yellow card for standing in front of the ball would stop this practice straight away.

Kato
09-10-2020, 08:33 PM
Is it not supposed to be an automatic yellow now?

lord bunberry
09-10-2020, 08:39 PM
Is it not supposed to be an automatic yellow now?
I thought so, but it’s never enforced. Surely we want to make the game more entertaining and teams that rotation foul should be punished for it. Aberdeen have been getting away with it for years, some call it being clever, I call it anti football cheating.

Kato
09-10-2020, 08:56 PM
I thought so, but it’s never enforced. Surely we want to make the game more entertaining and teams that rotation foul should be punished for it. Aberdeen have been getting away with it for years, some call it being clever, I call it anti football cheating.

Scotland bud, some teams are still allowed to tackle from behind.

lord bunberry
09-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Scotland bud, some teams are still allowed to tackle from behind.
I know mate, I’m hoping the guidelines come from FIFA.

houstonhibbee
09-10-2020, 10:15 PM
When will the authorities crack down on this. So many teams deliberately foul then put a player in front of the ball to stop the free kick being taken. When cheating anti football is allowed as a tactic the game can only suffer. A yellow card for standing in front of the ball would stop this practice straight away.

Yes it really annoys me as well. Do what they do in rugby and it'll soon stop esp if 10 yds takes it into the box........

JimBHibees
09-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Should be an automatic yellow, why it isn't is nonsense and explains how ant football teams have done so well

CMac1988
09-10-2020, 10:22 PM
If players would wise up then they'd punt the ball off the player standing in front of it quick enough. Would soon out a stop to the same player continuosly doing it throughout a game.

JimBHibees
10-10-2020, 07:31 AM
If players would wise up then they'd punt the ball off the player standing in front of it quick enough. Would soon out a stop to the same player continuosly doing it throughout a game.

I have seen that happen in premier league games and still some refs don't card the player stopping the game.

hibee-boys
10-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Could be wrong but i'm pretty sure I recall watching a game where a player awarded a free kick purposefully kicked a ball against the player standing in front of the ball......and he was booked!

where'stheslope
10-10-2020, 10:01 AM
Great idea stopping play by standing in front of the ball, even our players do it!
What gets me is, players now don't even retire 10 yards when the kick is taken, unless the ref walks the 10 yards out???

semaj64
10-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Should be enforced more with yellow cards. Seen some great quick free kicks taken that has lead to an exciting period of play.

Brightside
10-10-2020, 10:34 AM
It’s not an automatic booking. It’s a booking if your don’t move when asked. Every single player is coached to do it.

The dalmeny
10-10-2020, 10:37 AM
Seems to fall under law 12

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:

delaying the restart of play
dissent by word or action
entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a dropped ball, corner kick, free kick or throw-in

The 90+2
10-10-2020, 10:51 AM
It's also an automatic booking for taking the free kick early. Sure it happened to Bayern last week,

BlackSheep
10-10-2020, 12:41 PM
There you go, yellow for Cove for doing it.

McD
10-10-2020, 04:32 PM

I agree mate, also doesn’t help when (spurs against Man Utd a few days ago) the pundits criticise the defending team for not putting someone on the ball - let’s criticise it for what it is, a professional foul by stopping the other team from getting on with the game

hibbysam
10-10-2020, 05:06 PM
I agree mate, also doesn’t help when (spurs against Man Utd a few days ago) the pundits criticise the defending team for not putting someone on the ball - let’s criticise it for what it is, a professional foul by stopping the other team from getting on with the game

I want my team to win, I don’t want us being all nicey nicey just so that the game looks good. If a team has a chance to take a quick free kick and break on us, I’d be fuming if a player was close to it and didn’t stand in front of it.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2020, 05:15 PM
There you go, yellow for Cove for doing it.

Seen that. Do you think the ref was automatic when delivering the yellow? Looked it :greengrin

McD
11-10-2020, 07:19 PM
I want my team to win, I don’t want us being all nicey nicey just so that the game looks good. If a team has a chance to take a quick free kick and break on us, I’d be fuming if a player was close to it and didn’t stand in front of it.

have I said I don’t want my team to win? Where did I mention the game ‘looking good?’ Not got a clue why you’ve made those things up

If you want a player to stand in front of a free kick, then that’s fair enough, I’d rather my team defend better so they don’t need to stand in front of it.

lord bunberry
11-10-2020, 07:30 PM
As it stands now you be daft not to do it, but if a booking was given every time a player did it then it would have to stop.

hibbysam
11-10-2020, 07:38 PM
have I said I don’t want my team to win? Where did I mention the game ‘looking good?’ Not got a clue why you’ve made those things up

If you want a player to stand in front of a free kick, then that’s fair enough, I’d rather my team defend better so they don’t need to stand in front of it.

The other poster talks about making the game more entertaining. After a foul you stand in front of it to allow you to defend better. No different to a player walking 15/20 yards with the ball before giving it back to slow the game down and allow a team to get back in position. I expect my team to do everything they can to win, any sneaky advantage. The booking should depend on circumstance, if your simply stopping a quick free kick then absolutely not, if your clearly stopping a side from putting someone through on goal then you should rightly be booked the same as you would for a professional foul.