PDA

View Full Version : Our squad

murray26
03-10-2020, 10:32 PM
I would say this is our best squad for a while.. I think we can challenge Aberdeen for 3rd spot which is realistically the best anyone outside the OF can achieve.. well don Ron for backing the manager can’t wait until the fans are allowed back in.

KDY Hibs
03-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Agreed, things looking bright! Just a pity this virus is overshadowing everything at the moment, fingers crossed it lets up soon whilst we continue to get better.....

JXM73
03-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Still weak in midfield and injury to one or two players (nesbit/gogic) and we're in trouble.

Sorry not a strong squad, strongest for a while but still lacking.

The 90+2
03-10-2020, 11:12 PM
Quality first team but weak overall as shown yesterday.

RitchieHibs
03-10-2020, 11:29 PM
Still weak in midfield and injury to one or two players (nesbit/gogic) and we're in trouble.

Every team bar the very richest tend to struggle when their top players go out injured. Nothing new there. We're building a very decent team as our position in the league demonstrates. We're about to strengthen the midfield and JR is doing a sterling job.

Onceinawhile
03-10-2020, 11:46 PM
We'll be 4th at worst. Considering We'll win three cups in that time, its not too bad.

Basildon Hibs
04-10-2020, 12:27 AM

Agreed. Still too soft in middle of park.

Wakeyhibee
04-10-2020, 01:14 AM

Agree also, we are building a decent side and it positive, but like many others a few injuries and suspensions will show this season more than it normally would.

Robbo6-2
04-10-2020, 08:51 AM
We surely cany go into season with 3 recognised centre halfs.

What happens if two get injured at same time.

Also the 3rd being Darren McGregor which isn't a guarentee he can get back to full fitness

H18 SFR
04-10-2020, 08:57 AM
We surely cany go into season with 3 recognised centre halfs.

What happens if two get injured at same time.

Also the 3rd being Darren McGregor which isn't a guarentee he can get back to full fitness

We’d simply have to ask guys like Mackie to come in a do a shift at centre back, perhaps even Stevenson like he had to at Ibrox under Lennon.

I think Jack has alluded to the fact that he has purposefully went lighter re numbers to bring in much better quality.

It’s not a gamble in my eyes, it’s a good strategy, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

truehibernian
04-10-2020, 09:03 AM

The stats of Kyle Magennis suggest he will undoubtedly add work rate and dig in that area (once fully fit). Someone posted them on another thread and they are very impressive. Staying injury free is the only slight concern but think he will be a quality addition.

I'm greedy and would like another striker if honest, but maybe the Bet Fred games will see Shanley and Gullan get game time and goals.

Fergus52
04-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Our strength in depth is nowhere near as bad as some folk are making out.

Outside of the 11 that started on Friday night, we still have:

Barnes
Gray
MacGregor
Stevenson
Stephen Mcginn
Hallberg
Mallan
Magennis
Wright
Gullane

We'll definitely need a bit of luck with injuries to come third as Aberdeen probably have more depth/different options in their back up players. However if you take a quick look at the squads for Killie, Motherwell, Dundee utd, st johnstone etc. none of them have anywhere near as strong backup players as us, as much as some posters would have you believe otherwise.

We're a bit light at centre back and up front but COVID has affected everyone and the whole league outside of the old firm and Aberdeen have limited backup options this year. Our squad should definitely be getting 4th.

Andy74
04-10-2020, 09:08 AM

No we’re not but what we do with the way we play, and Ross referred to this after the last game, is that we sacrifice a bit in the middle to be able to play with 4 attacking players.

B.H.F.C
04-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Our strength in depth is nowhere near as bad as some folk are making out.

Outside of the 11 that started on Friday night, we still have:

Barnes
Gray
MacGregor
Stevenson
Stephen Mcginn
Hallberg
Mallan
Magennis
Wright
Gullane

We'll definitely need a bit of luck with injuries to come third as Aberdeen probably have more depth/different options in their back up players. However if you take a quick look at the squads for Killie, Motherwell, Dundee utd, st johnstone etc. none of them have anywhere near as strong backup players as us, as much as some posters would have you believe otherwise.

We're a bit light at centre back and up front but COVID has affected everyone and the whole league outside of the old firm and Aberdeen have limited backup options this year. Our squad should definitely be getting 4th.

I think some of the players you lost are the reason that our strength and depth is questioned.

How long is it since Gray was able to make a contribution? If needed, can he (or McGregor) come in and give us 10, 11 or 12 games on the bounce? Hallberg offers nothing. Gullan in pretty much untried. Mallan splits opinion at best.

I think we have a good team but there is a fair drop in quality if anyone is missing. We’ve already seen that when Nisbet and Gogic missed games.

hibeejeebies
04-10-2020, 09:25 AM
We'll be 4th at worst. Considering We'll win three cups in that time, its not too bad.

I'll accept.

Fergus52
04-10-2020, 09:37 AM
I think some of the players you lost are the reason that our strength and depth is questioned.

How long is it since Gray was able to make a contribution? If needed, can he (or McGregor) come in and give us 10, 11 or 12 games on the bounce? Hallberg offers nothing. Gullan in pretty much untried. Mallan splits opinion at best.

I think we have a good team but there is a fair drop in quality if anyone is missing. We’ve already seen that when Nisbet and Gogic missed games.

That's the case this season for every team in the league outside of the old firm and aberdeen though, every other side is operating with a reduced squad and in most cases the drop in quality from the starting XI is worse than ours.

If Gogic and Newell were both to be injured we'd have to replace them with some combination of McGinn, Hallberg, Magennis and Mallan. Say what you like about the usefulness of Mallan or Hallberg, but those four players are of undoubtedly higher quality and pedigree than the untested 19 year olds and English league two rejects that would be replacing the two best centre mids at Killie or Motherwell.

hibee-boys
04-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Calculated gamble going with quality over quantity, only major issue that would concern me would be losing Doidge and/or Nisbet for a sustained period but Boyle can play up top. We have a squad of versatile players now e.g. Mcginn/Gogic can cover CB if need be.

MWHIBBIES
04-10-2020, 10:43 AM

If you pick 2 vital player and injure them, no squad looks strong.

If you injured McGinn and McGeouch, Sauzee and Latapy etc, those squads don't look so strong, either.

RyeSloan
04-10-2020, 11:34 AM
If you pick 2 vital player and injure them, no squad looks strong.

If you injured McGinn and McGeouch, Sauzee and Latapy etc, those squads don't look so strong, either.

Even Man City played with no recognised striker last night due to injuries to their two top front men.

Ross said it after Hamilton that we have deliberately traded our way to a leaner first team squad but one with higher quality.

It’s exactly what Wolves have done down south and in particular makes sense in these CV19 impacted times.

Of course it carries a bit of risk but then so does carrying a bloated squad that maybe contains a lot of players that are not quite first team material anyway.

thebausburst
04-10-2020, 11:59 AM
Strength of depth is the worry, but far happier with 11 strong first team players and some real quality in there than 15 or 16 average guys with only 2 or 3 really strong players. Also fully support managers strategy of going for top young Scottish talent we can further develop and hopefully turn into full internationals that will in time move on and the club will benefit from a significant transfer fee, 100% the way to go for me.

Borderhibbie76
04-10-2020, 12:05 PM

Think we need to remember we are in the midst of a global pandemic and losing thousands a week in lost revenue - weve done amazing under the circumstances

J-C
04-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Going with a squad of 22 isn't too bad unless you fo get a spate if injuries. Normally we'd have around 24-26 in a squad with 4-5 places being taken up by youngsters, having a small but better quality squad us what I've been wanting for a while.

jacomo
05-10-2020, 04:07 PM
We are in good shape imo, great shape considering the unbalanced mess we had this time last year.

Of course we need to carry our luck with injuries but I am very pleased with this squad.

B.H.F.C
05-10-2020, 04:09 PM
We are in good shape imo, great shape considering the unbalanced mess we had this time last year.

Of course we need to carry our luck with injuries but I am very pleased with this squad.

More quality in the squad now. Wee bit short at the back, particularly, for me but if we don’t sign anyone else it is only 12 weeks until the next window.

Duke of Currie
05-10-2020, 04:18 PM
It looks like we are sticking the development team out on loan , so not a lot of reserves to call up on. Am presuming that its easier to get them game time that way and with a small time to the next transfer window , it will be a case of making do with what we have to cover injuries , suspensions , etc. The only difficulty I see is up front where we are a bit light

Unseen work
06-10-2020, 12:58 AM
For me our squad is good and we’ve recruited very well - the best we’ve done for years.

I think we’ll finish 4th behind Aberdeen and the reason for the will be strength in depth. Aberdeen’s wage bill must be well above ours though.

If you look at both squads:

Hibernian................-.............Aberdeen

....................Goalkeepers.............

Ofir Marciano..........-.............Joe Lewis
Dillon Barnes..........-.............Tom Cerny
............................-.............Gary Woods

.....................Defenders..............

Paul McGinn..........-..............Shay Logan
David Gray............-..............Ronald Hernandez
Ryan Porteous........-..............Ash Taylor
Darren McGregor....-.............Tommie Hoban
Paul Hanlon...........-.............Andrew Considine
Lewis Stevenson....-.............Michael Devlin
Josh Doig..............-..............Greg Leigh
Sean Mackie..........-....................

.....................Midfielders.............

Martin Boyle..........-.............Matthew Kennedy
Drey Wright..........-.............Scott Wright
Jamie Murphy........-..............Jonny Hayes
Kyle Magennis.......-.............Niall McGinn
Alex Gogic.............-.............Connor McLennan
Joe Newell.............-.............Ryan Hedges
Stevie Mallan.........-..............Lewis Ferguson
Scott Allan............-..............Ross McCrorie
Melker Hallberg......-..............Dylan McGeough
Stephen McGinn......-.............Funso Ojo
............................-.............Dean Campbell

.......................Strikers...............

Christian Doidge.....-.............Sam Cosgrove
Kevin Nisbet...........-.............Marley Watkins
Jamie Gullan..........-..............Curtis Main
Ryan Shanley.........-..............Ryan Edmunson

I think to me that highlights that obviously money is playing a part with Aberdeen having more quality/first team players over their squad but also a better balance with immediate replacements for each position.

What is really exciting though is that Ross has addressed so many areas in such a short space of time. I can’t wait to see where he takes us over the next couple of years especially once the fans are back in the stadium and the clubs getting money again.

How they can justify having so many centre mids, wingers and strikers of that quality is crazy but will stand them in good stead in the long run and be massively beneficial.

Really surprised Mackie never went out on loan for us and ideally would have wanted another first team quality striker to really push Nisbet and Doidge.

King Cosell
06-10-2020, 01:49 AM
For me our squad is good and we’ve recruited very well - the best we’ve done for years.

I think we’ll finish 4th behind Aberdeen and the reason for the will be strength in depth. Aberdeen’s wage bill must be well above ours though.

I think to me that highlights that obviously money is playing a part with Aberdeen having more quality/first team players over their squad but also a better balance with immediate replacements for each position.

What is really exciting though is that Ross has addressed so many areas in such a short space of time. I can’t wait to see where he takes us over the next couple of years especially once the fans are back in the stadium and the clubs getting money again.

How they can justify having so many centre mids, wingers and strikers of that quality is crazy but will stand them in good stead in the long run and be massively beneficial.

Really surprised Mackie never went out on loan for us and ideally would have wanted another first team quality striker to really push Nisbet and Doidge.

A lot of their key players are past their best, none of ours are. Hearts probably had the 5th best squad last season.

macca70
06-10-2020, 06:10 AM

All those midfielders are irrelevant when you play the way that Aberdeen do.

Midfield is completely bypassed hence why Bryson came and went. Same reason why McGeoch has been ineffective for them. They play the exact opposite of how McGeoch wants to play.

They are better off with big physical huddies in midfield that guys that want to take the ball to feet and play.

Spike Mandela
06-10-2020, 06:43 AM
I imagine more out of contract players will be available than ever before should a squad gap need filled not to mention the window opens up again in January.

Speedy
06-10-2020, 07:33 AM
I imagine more out of contract players will be available than ever before should a squad gap need filled not to mention the window opens up again in January.

This is a great point

Speedy
06-10-2020, 07:36 AM

I only realised yesterday that Samson is listed as a player so we do technically have 3 senior keepers.

Would be interesting to know whether we have a recall optioj on Dabrowski though in case Rocky and Barnes got injured.

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2020, 08:09 AM
A lot of their key players are past their best, none of ours are. Hearts probably had the 5th best squad last season.

Who are their key players that are past their best?

Sioux
06-10-2020, 08:10 AM

This is a great point

It's not that simple is it?

If we need to sign someone who is out of contract, you'd think we have a real need to replace someone. Any players coming in in those circumstances will likely be lacking in fitness/match sharpness, which kind of defeats the purpose of signing players for immediate effect.

But having said that, there's many on here looking at the doomsday injury scenario, and in today's climate, the added threat of Covid 19. No club can afford to put a squad together to cover that scenario. Even without C 19, it would be madness to pay salaries for players who might never be needed.

One thing that JR has done is build a squad that is flexible, where he can use a number of formations using the same players.