PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Loyal walk off pitch after alleged homophobic slur

theonlywayisup
03-10-2020, 07:02 AM
A homophobic slur was directed at Collin Martin, the Loyal’s only openly gay player and one of only a few “out” athletes in North American sports, by soon-to-be-ex-Phoenix Rising forward Junior Flemmings.

The Loyal’s players walk off the field, they returned to the locker room while they were leading Phoenix Rising 3-1 at halftime of their most important game of the season, a game they pretty much had to win to have any chance of making the USL Championship playoffs in their expansion campaign.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/54396474

Thoughts?

Phil MaGlass
03-10-2020, 07:07 AM
Well done👍 racists and homophobics have no place in todays world and put bigotry in there tae.

hibs#1
03-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Good for them, we should be way past that kind of crap as a society.

Onceinawhile
03-10-2020, 07:18 AM
There was an incident in their game the week before which is why they walked off.

Quite right too.

FilipinoHibs
03-10-2020, 07:23 AM
There are progressive Loyals. Well done.

The 90+2
03-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Great news. **** the haters, we are all one.

Carheenlea
03-10-2020, 08:00 AM
No Surrender to homophobia

MWHIBBIES
03-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Agree with it. Donovan came across very well speaking about it. It's **** for them to lose out but it has to happen for these things to stop and be taken seriously. Making it a big media frenzy is the best thing to do.

Pretty Boy
03-10-2020, 08:17 AM
Good for them.

If players started regularly doing this when they were subjected to racism, homophobia and sectarianism it might start to get the message across to the impotent authorities who just don't care.

Keith_M
03-10-2020, 08:55 AM
Good for them.

If players started regularly doing this when they were subjected to racism, homophobia and sectarianism it might start to get the message across to the impotent authorities who just don't care.

Every Rangers game would finish early.

neil7908
03-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Great to see players taking a stand.

CMurdoch
03-10-2020, 02:13 PM
An aspect of interest are the culprits in the two incidents.
Last weeks incident was a case of racial abuse of a black player by a player who by his appearance also appears to be a man of colour and this weeks homophobic abuse of a gay player has been by a black man. Human beings!

Vault Boy
03-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Well done to them. Donovan explained the situation in a very considered and compassionate manner.

RitchieHibs
03-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Great to see a team publicly taking a stance against the neanderthals. Legal sexual preference is nobody's else's business whatsoever. Good on each and every one of them.

LancashireHibby
03-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Well done to them. A Rangers supporters club is probably the last place you’d expect to find such honourable conduct.

whiskyhibby
03-10-2020, 05:17 PM
An aspect of interest are the culprits in the two incidents.
Last weeks incident was a case of racial abuse of a black player by a player who by his appearance also appears to be a man of colour and this weeks homophobic abuse of a gay player has been by a black man. Human beings!

There are racists and bigots in every creed and colour

CMurdoch
03-10-2020, 05:26 PM
There are racists and bigots in every creed and colour

There are, but I don't think a lot of folk realise it.

hibsbollah
03-10-2020, 05:52 PM
There are, but I don't think a lot of folk realise it.

Im not sure exactly what this means (is it just a general shot at the BLM movement?) but I’m fairly sure you’d be struggling to find anyone who doesn’t realise that black people or any group of people, can be equally as homophobic as any other group of people:dunno:

It’s great that everyone’s supportive of the stand the San Diego team took the other day on this thread; I do wonder about how widespread this tolerance actually is. Why has no professional footballer has come out yet? It’s fairly obvious that it’s because they would be absolutely crucified for it, certainly in the current Scottish footballing culture.

CMurdoch
03-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Im not sure exactly what this means (is it just a general shot at the BLM movement?) but I’m fairly sure you’d be struggling to find anyone who doesn’t realise that black people or any group of people, can be equally as homophobic as any other group of people:dunno:

It’s great that everyone’s supportive of the stand the San Diego team took the other day on this thread; I do wonder about how widespread this tolerance actually is. Why has no professional footballer has come out yet? It’s fairly obvious that it’s because they would be absolutely crucified for it, certainly in the current Scottish footballing culture.

There were 2 incidents in successive weeks against San Diego Loyal players.
In last weeks match a San Diego Loyal player was called the N word by an LA Galaxy player
When I looked at the report I expected that the culprit would be white as I'm sure most folk would.
I was surprised to find the culprit was a black Mexican. It was more this incident I was commenting on, not the homophobic incident. However, it is still worth commenting that the culprit in this weeks incident thought it was acceptable to take the knee before the match before subjecting a fellow player to homophobic abuse.

RitchieHibs
03-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Great point to highlight.

Homophobia will probably never disappear completely. However, ever increasing pressure to include lgbt rights into the mainstream along with active protests such as the one shown by the American team when homophobia or other abhorrent discriminatory attacks come to light, will further alienate the head in the sand neanderthals.

Iggy Pope
03-10-2020, 10:37 PM
In last weeks match a San Diego Loyal player was called the N word by an LA Galaxy player
When I looked at the report I expected that the culprit would be white as I'm sure most folk would.
I was surprised to find the culprit was a black Mexican. It was more this incident I was commenting on, not the homophobic incident. However, it is still worth commenting that the culprit in this weeks incident thought it was acceptable to take the knee before the match before subjecting a fellow player to homophobic abuse.

I’m surprised you are surprised by this.

HH81
04-10-2020, 04:15 AM
This is a serious subject and unacceptable behaviour.

San Diego is an awesome place though and this thread brings back some class memories from my trip there. I never even knew they had a football team.

The 90+2
04-10-2020, 04:47 AM
Any idea why homosexual lives matters hasn’t become a thing when it’s more rife in sport more than anything?

Being gay in sports is still not accepted. Why isn’t this highlighted more?

Brightside
04-10-2020, 06:22 AM

You’d have to be from a different planet to not know that black people can be just as homophobic or racist as who’re people. It would be very odd to make a point of calling that out.