PDA

View Full Version : And Then There Were 23

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 04:16 PM
With Murray & Stirling away in recent days Hibs have 23 first team players left.
A match day squad is now 20 players.
Only guys missing yesterday were Stephen McGinn, Mackie and Allan.

Players not in the matchday squad are now out on loan or away permanently.
Money saving strategy in full swing?
Who's next out the door (or in)?
The players will be getting the fear if they are called in to peak to the boss!

Souter96Mac
28-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Hopefully Jackson Irvine.

scoopyboy
28-09-2020, 04:19 PM
With Murray & Stirling away in recent days Hibs have only 23 first teamers left at Easter Rd.
A match day squad is now 20 players.
Only guys missing yesterday were Stephen McGinn, Mackie and Allan.

Players not in the matchday squad are now out on loan or away permanently.
Money saving strategy in full swing.
Who's next out the door? Who's is next in the door?

You don't have to have 20 players on match day, some clubs are listing less than 9 subs.

Some players listed are never going to get on anyway.

However I agree with your comment that we are getting a bit light on numbers.

weecounty hibby
28-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Hopefully Jackson Irvine.

If we say his name often enough and on enough threads does it come true???
Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi 😃

theonlywayisup
28-09-2020, 04:31 PM
Admins - should this not be merged into the Hibs (non) transfer thread?

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 04:38 PM
You don't have to have 20 players on match day, some clubs are listing less than 9 subs.

Some players listed are never going to get on anyway.

However I agree with your comment that we are getting a bit light on numbers.

You mean the keeper Barnes and David Gray.
Do you think Gray would get on if Paul McGinn was injured.

H18 SFR
28-09-2020, 04:41 PM

Absolutely not.

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 04:42 PM

This thread is more about the game of Ker-Plunk (do you remember it) Hibs appear to be playing to get player costs down rather than a transfer in thread. The squad is getting very lean and mean. OP amended slightly.

H18 SFR
28-09-2020, 04:43 PM
This thread is more about the game of Ker-Plunk (do you remember it) Hibs appear to be playing to get costs down rather than a transfer in thread. The squad is getting very lean and mean.

I like the mean part, it certainly helped vs the Huns.

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 04:50 PM
I like the mean part, it certainly helped vs the Huns.

Maybe it's just Ross being really good at getting the players out that he doesn't want so he can get the guys in he does. Remember Vela, he was gone in no time. I thought we were stuck with him.
Horgan was eased away so he could get Murphy in. Allan, Mallan & Gray have been pushed to the margins.

brog
28-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Maybe it's just Ross being really good at getting the players out that he doesn't want so he can get the guys in he does. Remember Vela, he was gone in no time. I thought we were stuck with him.
Horgan was eased away so he could get Murphy in. Allan, Mallan & Gray have been pushed to the margins.

I don't think Allan & Mallan have been pushed to the margins. Scottie's problems are well known while Mallan is also returning from a serious injury. I would expect him to play much more as the season develops. I think Hallberg would go before Stevie Mallan.

JimBHibees
28-09-2020, 05:16 PM
We definitely look light numbers wise assume will get 2 or 3 in before window ends.

Brightside
28-09-2020, 05:19 PM
I’d be surprised if Mackie stays tbh.

04Sauzee
28-09-2020, 05:26 PM
I’d be surprised if Mackie stays tbh.
As would i, not sure how fit he is? Definitely do a job for a decent championship club.

ClermistonGreen
28-09-2020, 05:28 PM
Can’t believe we’ve missed out Halliday !

CmoantheHibs
28-09-2020, 05:48 PM
We didn’t miss out on him. We weren’t in for him. Doesn’t want to play against his beloved sevco so he has plumped for a diddy lower league team. He should get a couple of seasons out of it with them.:wink:

JimBHibees
28-09-2020, 06:20 PM

:greengrin

MyJo
28-09-2020, 06:28 PM
I think defensively we need another player in as well. We have Gray and McGregor as back-up at the moment and while probably still capable are very injury prone and could leave us really struggling if they are needed for cover and end up crocked themselves.

And while McGinn can play both positions even he couldn't do both at the same time and I would be unwilling to move Gogic back into centre-half given how integral he is now to our stronger midfield.

Another McGinn type that can play centre half and right back would be ideal, maybe Naismith?

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2020, 06:31 PM

Never mind, he holds a special place in all our hearts.

scoopyboy
28-09-2020, 06:33 PM
You mean the keeper Barnes and David Gray.
Do you think Gray would get on if Paul McGinn was injured.

Of course I don't mean the keeper, f*** sake you think I would bring on an outfield player if Marciano got injured or sent off.

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 06:33 PM
I don't think Allan & Mallan have been pushed to the margins. Scottie's problems are well known while Mallan is also returning from a serious injury. I would expect him to play much more as the season develops. I think Hallberg would go before Stevie Mallan.

A lot of folk have guessed that Scott's problem relates to his diabetes but I didn't think that had been confirmed.

It will be interesting to see whether Allan and Mallan can get back front and centre in the team again or whether Jack will make them disappear at the end of the season Vela/Horgan/James etc stylee.
Mallan probably has the best chance because he hasn't been fully Ross assessed yet due to his long injury.
As you say Hallberg must also be in danger of being cut adrift although he has at least managed to get on the pitch most weeks.
Which leads us to David Gray who must be under pressure to move away on loan or move onto the post football part of his contract. We have barely seen the poor guy since Scott Allan injured him over a year ago other than a painful half a game when he came back to early.
Football is a brutal business at the best of times but the pandemic has ratcheted that up many many notches.

CMurdoch
28-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Of course I don't mean the keeper, f*** sake you think I would bring on an outfield player if Marciano got injured or sent off.

You said "Some players listed are never going to get on anyway" and generally the sub keeper doesn't get on. Wasn't sure what your original point was other than 9 subs was more than is necessary.
They can make 5 substitutions so having 9 substitutes is not excessive.
The top 4 teams at least should always be able to field a full complement

Looking at Saturdays game:
Stevenson Mallan & Murphy got on
Of the other 6
Barnes was there to replace Marciano if required
Gullan & Shanley were there to replace the forwards if required
Hallberg was there to replace Gogic or Newell if required
McGregor was there to replace a centre half if required
Gray was there to replace McGinn if required

In essence they all had a function and could have been called upon.

jacomo
29-09-2020, 04:08 PM
We didn’t miss out on him. We weren’t in for him. Doesn’t want to play against his beloved sevco so he has plumped for a diddy lower league team. He should get a couple of seasons out of it with them.:wink:

I don’t follow the Championship these days so I missed this news.

Will keep an eye out for Dunfermline this season though, would like to see them back in the top flight.