PDA

View Full Version : Marc McNulty arrested

Heisenberg
26-09-2020, 09:40 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6091342/hibs-scotland-mcnulty-arrested-match-fixing-police/

Maybe explains that Derby game...

Jones28
26-09-2020, 09:42 PM
I hate it when they use the word “ace”.

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2020, 09:49 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6091342/hibs-scotland-mcnulty-arrested-match-fixing-police/

Which one ?

The missed penalty?

Or the one where he tried to get himself sent off?

The Spaceman
26-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Using “Hibs’ Easter Road Stadium” as their image choice as well. Even though he’s not our player and was never our player. I can’t wait for them to go to the wall with all the other red tops, nothing but shameless click bait.

Peevemor
26-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Very disappointing if true.

Heisenberg
26-09-2020, 09:52 PM
Which one ?

The missed penalty?

Or the one where he tried to get himself sent off?

When he tried to get himself booked/sent off. He’s a ****ing idiot getting involved if it’s true. Could be the end of his career at any sort of decent level.

cabbageandribs1875
26-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Using “Hibs’ Easter Road Stadium” as their image choice as well. Even though he’s not our player and was never our player. I can’t wait for them to go to the wall with all the other red tops, nothing but shameless click bait.

tbf ER is a beautiful background photo for any football player

agree about them going to the wall

Auckland Hibs
26-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Would explain his performance(s) and the stamp on Sean Clare in the derby game.

Carheenlea
26-09-2020, 09:58 PM
He kind of had that look about him that suggested he could be a bit of a wrong`un.

SaulGoodman
26-09-2020, 10:00 PM
Nothing like innocent until proven guilty eh.

Gloucester Hibs
26-09-2020, 10:00 PM
Would explain his performance(s) and the stamp on Sean Clare in the derby game.

Yep seemed baffling at the time from a player who should’ve known better. I’m sure he done similar in other games?

JimBHibees
26-09-2020, 10:01 PM
He kind of had that look about him that suggested he could be a bit of a wrong`un.

:greengrin

Diclonius
26-09-2020, 10:05 PM
Imagine if he deliberately tried to lose/draw a derby.

WillowbraeHibby
26-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Imagine if he deliberately tried to lose/draw a derby.

Be ragin' if that was the case.

JXM73
26-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Impersonating a footballer, is that a crime

Pretty Boy
26-09-2020, 10:18 PM
This goes on in football fairly regularly, particularly at the lower levels.

If it's proven he's been up to something then he's been the one daft enough to get caught.

matty_f
26-09-2020, 10:18 PM

:agree:

mcohibs
26-09-2020, 10:28 PM

Spoken like a true criminal lawyer. Better call Saul 😂

MrRobot
26-09-2020, 10:35 PM
When he tried to get himself booked/sent off. He’s a ****ing idiot getting involved if it’s true. Could be the end of his career at any sort of decent level.

Never mind the end of his career, he could possibly be looking at jail time if it’s true could he not?

Centre Hawf
26-09-2020, 10:37 PM
The way he played at times if he bet on himself to not score he'd have somehow bundled the ball in.

Smartie
26-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Innocent until proven guilty, but I take a very dim view of anyone who has corrupted a game I have spend tens of thousands of pounds and tens of thousands of hours watching.

CapitalGreen
26-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Incident with McGregor at Ibrox. 90th minute and needing a yellow he challenged the goalie while he was kicking the ball from hand. Daft thing to do but was overshadowed at the time by McGregor lashing out and getting himself sent off for the Old Firm game.

CMac1988
26-09-2020, 11:05 PM
Funny cause I mind my old man saying it at the time, "Got himself sent off on purpose".

We'll see I guess.

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2020, 11:26 PM
Incident with McGregor at Ibrox. 90th minute and needing a yellow he challenged the goalie while he was kicking the ball from hand. Daft thing to do but was overshadowed at the time by McGregor lashing out and getting himself sent off for the Old Firm game.Why is it daft? It happens all the time, all over the world every weekend. Players try to block the goalie all the time. I doubt if he is desperately needing to get himself booked he'd leave it so late. If the goalie plays it short, what then?

Funny cause I mind my old man saying it at the time, "Got himself sent off on purpose".

We'll see I guess.
He didn't get sent off.

Hulk1875
26-09-2020, 11:52 PM

Like a lot of us from schemes of Edinburgh get up to no good make mistakes just unfortunately being a footballer you get it tighter if you do wrong

27-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Who cares. Bit of a twat and average striker compared to doidge and Nisbet.

CMac1988
27-09-2020, 12:14 AM
Why is it daft? It happens all the time, all over the world every weekend. Players try to block the goalie all the time. I doubt if he is desperately needing to get himself booked he'd leave it so late. If the goalie plays it short, what then?

He didn't get sent off.

My mistake. "Trying to get himself sent off".

CapitalGreen
27-09-2020, 12:15 AM
Why is it daft? It happens all the time, all over the world every weekend. Players try to block the goalie all the time. I doubt if he is desperately needing to get himself booked he'd leave it so late. If the goalie plays it short, what then?

The incident again: https://youtu.be/hqLz-tpYvjs

Players try to put the keeper off all the time all over the world every weekend by standing in their vicinity, they don’t make an attempt to play the ball as the keeper releases it. To do so is against the rules, it’s absolute schoolboy stuff and strikers nowadays know that they can’t challenge the keeper in the act of releasing the ball.

“prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it” - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

The 90+2
27-09-2020, 04:37 AM
So much wrong with that article including boyhood hero’s.

Hope he’s alright and charges dropped.

Since452
27-09-2020, 05:30 AM

That stamp was inexplicable. IF he tried to get himself sent off in a derby for bets then he'd better not show his face anywhere near Easter Road again. Couldn't understand why he did it the time and I'm really hoping what I'm thinking isn't true.

neil7908
27-09-2020, 06:49 AM
He's innocent until proven guilty but will be raging if he's done something in one of our games.

It would be a crazy thing to do if true though. The guy is supposed to be on £10k a week for a multi year contract. If your on 500k a year you'd be nuts to do anything like this.

Pretty Boy
27-09-2020, 07:17 AM
He's innocent until proven guilty but will be raging if he's done something in one of our games.

It would be a crazy thing to do if true though. The guy is supposed to be on £10k a week for a multi year contract. If your on 500k a year you'd be nuts to do anything like this.

The sums involved in football match fixing are eye watering. Some of the Asian syndicates are raking in quite literally billions a year. A player could double or treble their weekly wage if they were in with the big boys.

About a decade ago it was estimated about 300 games a year in Europe were either fixed or subject to suspicious betting. That had doubled by 5 years ago and is higher now. There was one game in Belgium a few years back that bookies would normally expect to take about €50K on, about €1.5M was wagered through various exchanges...... It used to be South east Asia that was the epicentre, particularly Malaysia, but the Russians are big players now. In Europe the most high profile incidents have probably been in Germany. There was an incident in England a few years ago were a security officer had been paid to try and sabotage the floodlights at a Charlton game and have the game abandoned. There was also a Norwich game that was seriously investigated.

A visit to the darker reaches of the internet all but confirms match fixing exists on a serious scale. It's a closed shop because by it's nature it has to be. The tipsters on Facebook and Twitter claiming to have info on fixed matches are lying but it definitely happens and far more often than people would like to believe.

Hibs90
27-09-2020, 07:34 AM
That stamp was inexplicable. IF he tried to get himself sent off in a derby for bets then he'd better not show his face anywhere near Easter Road again. Couldn't understand why he did it the time and I'm really hoping what I'm thinking isn't true.

Agreed. Hopefully not the case, for his sake.

superfurryhibby
27-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Would Police Scotland be doing the arresting and charging if the offences were alleged to have been committed in England?

As has been said a few times match fixing and betting scams must be much more widespread than we realise. It’s gone on for decades in football, a long and dirty heritage.

I really hope it doesn’t involve Hibs games.

Brightside
27-09-2020, 09:35 AM

:rolleyes:

.Sean.
27-09-2020, 09:48 AM
He also missed a penalty against them I’m sure

Hiber-nation
27-09-2020, 09:49 AM

And what kind of look is that precisely?

Greenbeard
27-09-2020, 09:57 AM

Players try to put the keeper off all the time all over the world every weekend by standing in their vicinity, they don’t make an attempt to play the ball as the keeper releases it. To do so is against the rules, it’s absolute schoolboy stuff and strikers nowadays know that they can’t challenge the keeper in the act of releasing the ball.

“prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it” - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct
Not allowed now but this was a brilliant goal from an ex-Hibs ace that should have stood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8

Hibbyradge
27-09-2020, 10:09 AM

He didn't get sent off.

It's a foul to attempt to block the keeper kicking the ball out all over the world.

Often it is a cautionable offence. Players know this.

RyeSloan
27-09-2020, 10:19 AM

We’ll never know but it looks more a bit instinctive that deliberate....he hardly goes for a mega block all arms and legs and body.

Still either way it was worth it for the complete Tom tit of himself that McGregor makes [emoji23]

MWHIBBIES
27-09-2020, 10:24 AM
It's a foul to attempt to block the keeper kicking the ball out all over the world.

Often it is a cautionable offence. Players know this.

Sure. Its also a foul and a yellow to pull a players shirt. Doesn't really mean match fixing. He swung a really lazy leg at McGregor. As I say, I doubt he leaves it to that if he needs a booking.

Gotta say, I'm laughing at all these incidents suddenly appearing, as if folk knew all along. He missed a penalty and blocked a goalie, must've been fixing the match.

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching. He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.

FilipinoHibs
27-09-2020, 10:29 AM

Agree. Though innocent to proven guilty. Always looked unfit and a bit debauched.

FilipinoHibs
27-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Gambling debts?

supermcginn
27-09-2020, 10:54 AM
A complete huddie and now possibly a match fixing criminal. Thank God we are well rid.

bigwheel
27-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Some of the haters are out early this morning I see .....

Peevemor
27-09-2020, 11:09 AM
For me, the stamp in the derby is questionable in that it came totally out of the blue and seemed out of character. I can't remember anything else that he did that would point to match fixing.

I really hope these accusations are untrue as I really liked him at ER, even though his second spell was a bit of a disappointment.

Iggy Pope
27-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Some of the haters are out early this morning I see .....

:greengrin An unfit debauched huddie that had that look about him. Priceless stuff.

04Sauzee
27-09-2020, 11:13 AM
:greengrin An unfit debauched huddie that had that look about him. Priceless stuff.

Incredible comments tbh, so many assumptions

CapitalGreen
27-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Sure. Its also a foul and a yellow to pull a players shirt. Doesn't really mean match fixing. He swung a really lazy leg at McGregor. As I say, I doubt he leaves it to that if he needs a booking.

A player may pull an opponents shirt knowing the ref might not see it or be lenient towards. Making such a deliberate attempt to play the ball while the keeper is in the act of releasing the ball is blatant foul play which the referee would have no option but to stop the play and possibly card the attacker. Anyone who plays the game at any level all over the world every weekend knows that doing so nowadays will lead to a foul being awarded against them.

Gotta say, I'm laughing at all these incidents suddenly appearing, as if folk knew all along. He missed a penalty and blocked a goalie, must've been fixing the match.

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching.He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.

The reason match fixing would not typically happen in big games is because the perpetrators would as you suggest be more likely to be caught - well McNulty has seemingly been caught.

Killiehibbie
27-09-2020, 11:23 AM

What kind of look does a wrong un have?

Bostonhibby
27-09-2020, 11:24 AM
What kind of look does a wrong un have?Criminal ear lobes always clinch it for me.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Since90+2
27-09-2020, 11:29 AM
As has been mentioned we have this thing called innocent until proven guilty in this country. Some of the comments are similar to what id expect to read on Kickback to be honest.

Bostonhibby
27-09-2020, 11:29 AM
What kind of look does a wrong un have?I've got my doubts about this guy as wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/2180e3292a8b982921797ccaf2c4bc28.jpg

Killiehibbie
27-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Criminal ear lobes always clinch it for me.

It was always safe to consider a person with a beer belly squeezed into a Rangers top to be capable of several criminal acts.

oneone73
27-09-2020, 11:32 AM
It was always safe to consider a person with a beer belly squeezed into a Rangers top to be capable of several criminal acts.

Yes, but this thread isn't about Kris Boyd.

Killiehibbie
27-09-2020, 11:33 AM
I've got my doubts about this guy as wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/2180e3292a8b982921797ccaf2c4bc28.jpg

Mastermind not a word that springs to mind.

Smartie
27-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Mastermind not a word that springs to mind.

"Hun" on the other hand...

superfurryhibby
27-09-2020, 11:45 AM
A complete huddie and now possibly a match fixing criminal. Thank God we are well rid.

Not like you to spraff Tom Kite, it must be true then :shocked:

calumhibee1
27-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching. He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.

Pulling a players shirt can gain you an advantage such as stopping a player who’s beaten you progressing further up the pitch. It’s also easier to disguise.

Doing what McNulty done gains you no advantage whatsoever and is very likely to gain you a booking.

superfurryhibby
27-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Pulling a players shirt can gain you an advantage such as stopping a player who’s beaten you progressing further up the pitch. It’s also easier to disguise.

Doing what McNulty done gains you no advantage whatsoever and is very likely to gain you a booking.

It stopped the game, got him a booking and provoked that utter twat McGregor to try and give him a kick, leading to the Hun being sent off. Win-win. The stamp on Clare in the derby on the other hand, dumb as ****.

Lendo
27-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Fingers crossed it’s not been a game involving Hibs but the police would not have arrested him had they not had some strong evidence of wrong doing and were confident of a conviction.

wallpaperman
27-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Incredible comments tbh, so many assumptions

Agree. He came along to a training session at our daughter’s youth football team last summer, he couldn’t have been nicer. Stayed for ages talking to the kids and posing for dozens of photos.

CapitalGreen
27-09-2020, 11:52 AM
It stopped the game, got him a booking and provoked that utter twat McGregor to try and give him a kick, leading to the Hun being sent off. Win-win. The stamp on Clare in the derby on the other hand, dumb as ****.

Why is stopping the game good? We were 1-0 down, chasing an equaliser in the 90th minute, why hand the Huns the perfect opportunity to time waste in the final moments of the game. We ended up getting beat, not exactly win-win.

Since90+2
27-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Fingers crossed it’s not been a game involving Hibs but the police would not have arrested him had they not had some strong evidence of wrong doing and were confident of a conviction.

Doesn't mean he is guilty of anything though. That's why we have trials in this country to ascertain whether a party is guilty or not.

Billy Whizz
27-09-2020, 11:54 AM
People should not be named before they are charged

Baker9
27-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Like a lot of us from schemes of Edinburgh get up to no good make mistakes just unfortunately being a footballer you get it tighter if you do wrong

A lot of us from the schemes of Edinburgh made sure we didn't get caught.

Beefster
27-09-2020, 12:05 PM

What the actual ****?

CropleyWasGod
27-09-2020, 12:08 PM

Have they charged him?

silverhibee
27-09-2020, 12:21 PM
A player may pull an opponents shirt knowing the ref might not see it or be lenient towards. Making such a deliberate attempt to play the ball while the keeper is in the act of releasing the ball is blatant foul play which the referee would have no option but to stop the play and possibly card the attacker. Anyone who plays the game at any level all over the world every weekend knows that doing so nowadays will lead to a foul being awarded against them.

The reason match fixing would not typically happen in big games is because the perpetrators would as you suggest be more likely to be caught - well McNulty has seemingly been caught.

Was Makalamby not a victim of this up at Aberdeen and the Dons player sneaked the ball and scored, always thought that was a foul as well and our keeper was hammered for it by Hibs fans, Riordan sneaked the ball off Gordon at the megadome and ref gave a foul, can't remember if Riordan got booked.

Would say 9 times out 10 the ref will give foul but if you look to make contact you will get a yellow for it, stupid thing to do so late in a game.

FilipinoHibs
27-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Have they charged him?

He was arrested by Scottish police and the other person is based in Scotland. Could still be for games in England but he has nit played many games down there recently. Does seem likely to have involved his time at Hibs. We will have to wait and see. No charges yet but the police look to be gathering evidence to do that.

easty
27-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Was Makalamby not a victim of this up at Aberdeen and the Dons player sneaked the ball and scored, always thought that was a foul as well and our keeper was hammered for it by Hibs fans, Riordan sneaked the ball off Gordon at the megadome and ref gave a foul, can't remember if Riordan got booked.

Would say 9 times out 10 the ref will give foul but if you look to make contact you will get a yellow for it, stupid thing to do so late in a game.

My memory of that was that Maka made an arse of it. I don’t even think the Aberdeen player moved to the ball, he was close, but Makalamby booted the ball right at him.

CapitalGreen
27-09-2020, 12:50 PM
He was arrested by Scottish police and the other person is based in Scotland. Could still be for games in England but he has nit played many games down there recently. Does seem likely to have involved his time at Hibs. We will have to wait and see. No charges yet but the police look to be gathering evidence to do that.

The other person was arrested for a suspicious bet on the Rangers game in May 2019.

CapitalGreen
27-09-2020, 12:53 PM
My memory of that was that Maka made an arse of it. I don’t even think the Aberdeen player moved to the ball, he was close, but Makalamby booted the ball right at him.

This is correct, that incident is 3.30 mins into this video. https://youtu.be/svW55rzzuPM

Sweet Left Peg
27-09-2020, 12:58 PM
I've got my doubts about this guy as wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/2180e3292a8b982921797ccaf2c4bc28.jpg

That's Joe Warner, isn't it?

cabbageandribs1875
27-09-2020, 01:06 PM

if you had mentioned this back then all this might have been prevented

:(

cabbageandribs1875
27-09-2020, 01:10 PM
another two years left on his reading contract i wonder IF found guilty reading would have grounds to get shot of a player that most likely is costing them a fair amount of £££'s

erin go bragh
27-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Whatever happened to innocent until proving guilty . As the link is for that horrible rancid paper . I won’t open it but plenty folk jumping on the band wagon of hating a decent loan player we had .

Pretty Boy
27-09-2020, 03:00 PM
another two years left on his reading contract i wonder IF found guilty reading would have grounds to get shot of a player that most likely is costing them a fair amount of £££'s

I can't imagine there is any way that match fixing is anything other than gross misconduct. Dismissal without notice.

FilipinoHibs
27-09-2020, 04:07 PM
The other person was arrested for a suspicious bet on the Rangers game in May 2019.

What's your source? Don't see it mentioned in any of the news reports.

CMurdoch
27-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Have they charged him?

From the current bun
SCOTLAND striker Marc McNulty was arrested by cops probing allegations of match fixing in football.“Two men, aged 21 and 28, have been arrested and released pending further inquiries.”

Looks like the usual rubbish journalism from the red tops.
Police in Scotland don't arrest and then release pending further enquiries. English numpty paper.

Paul1642
27-09-2020, 04:46 PM
From the current bun
SCOTLAND striker Marc McNulty was arrested by cops probing allegations of match fixing in football.“Two men, aged 21 and 28, have been arrested and released pending further inquiries.”

Looks like the usual rubbish journalism from the red tops.
Police in Scotland don't arrest and then release pending further enquiries. English numpty paper.

Erm, yes they do. It suggests interviewed, released without charge however enquiry continues.

BroxburnHibee
27-09-2020, 05:05 PM
This is far more widespread than you may think.

There was a mafia figure interviewed on Talksport a few years ago. He said they'll let players build up debts until they know they won't be able to pay it back then they've got them.

CMurdoch
27-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Erm, yes they do. It suggests interviewed, released without charge however enquiry continues.

No they don't. They detain and after 6 hours either arrest and charge or release as grounds for detention no longer exist. They may arrest at a later date if they subsequently gather sufficient evidence.

Paul1642
27-09-2020, 05:18 PM
No they don't. They detain and after 6 hours either arrest and charge or release as grounds for detention no longer exist.

Pre-2016

CMurdoch
27-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Pre-2016

I bow to your up to date knowledge and apologise for speaking ceek.
That is a massive and fundamental change.
Marc is lucky I wasn't representing him!

Stanton Spence
27-09-2020, 05:22 PM
No they don't. They detain and after 6 hours either arrest and charge or release as grounds for detention no longer exist. They may arrest at a later date if they subsequently gather sufficient evidence.Bit off topic but I think you can be detained longer than six hours now, but maybe that's just for terrorism?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

brog
27-09-2020, 05:22 PM
I just looked at my passport pic. I'm off to my local police station to turn myself in now!!😁

Centre Hawf
27-09-2020, 05:27 PM
No they don't. They detain and after 6 hours either arrest and charge or release as grounds for detention no longer exist. They may arrest at a later date if they subsequently gather sufficient evidence.

I believe you can be arrested initially on suspicion, detained for questioning, then charged if they believe they have you?

CMurdoch
27-09-2020, 05:34 PM
I believe you can be arrested initially on suspicion, detained for questioning, then charged if they believe they have you?

All changed in 2016, apparently something to do with Hibs and the Scottish Cup. It's all very English looking now. Thanks Paul 1642 for bringing me up to speed.

Changes to arrest and custody procedures in 2016 included

a single statutory power of arrest without warrant where there is reasonable grounds for suspecting someone has committed an offence - replacing the previous separate concepts of arrest and detention
enabling police to release a suspect for further investigation with conditions (for up to 28 days) with the power to re-arrest

hibsboy69
27-09-2020, 09:03 PM
The game vs Rangers in May 2019 :-

https://www.skysports.com/football/rangers-vs-hibernian/406776 (https://www.skysports.com/football/rangers-vs-hibernian/406776)

McGregor got a straight red card for kicking Marc McNulty on his back immediately after clearing the ball out of his hands in the 89th minute.
Referee Bobby Madden booked McNulty and awarded Rangers a free-kick as the Hibs striker maintained his innocence.

superfurryhibby
28-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Why is stopping the game good? We were 1-0 down, chasing an equaliser in the 90th minute, why hand the Huns the perfect opportunity to time waste in the final moments of the game. We ended up getting beat, not exactly win-win.

Ahem, mixing up games. My bad.

CyberSauzee
28-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Similar to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/06/wayne-rooney-father-alleged-betting-scam

tamig
28-09-2020, 11:36 AM
As has been mentioned we have this thing called innocent until proven guilty in this country. Some of the comments are similar to what id expect to read on Kickback to be honest.

Some poor stuff on this thread. Really poor.

jgl07
29-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Apparently Dundee United want to sign McNulty on loan?