PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scott McKenna

Sylar
23-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Signs for Nottingham Forest for £6 million.

I just don't get the hype around this laddie - I've seen him a fair bit over the years (best mate is a Dons fan and has dragged me to that soulless dump of a stadium, or a few away games) and I don't get the plaudits he appears to attract.

He's a big, imposing lump of a centre back that is effective in the air, but he's an absolute liability on the ground with the ball at his feet. Granted, his ability to wind up Morelos whenever they play Sevco is quite a thing to behold...

Am I really missing something :confused:

SChibs
23-09-2020, 07:48 PM
No smoke without fire. Hes obviously a good player and theres been teams sniffing about him for a couple of years now.

EI255
23-09-2020, 07:50 PM

I just don't get the hype around this laddie - I've seen him a fair bit over the years (best mate is a Dons fan and has dragged me to that soulless dump of a stadium, or a few away games) and I don't get the plaudits he appears to attract.

He's a big, imposing lump of a centre back that is effective in the air, but he's an absolute liability on the ground with the ball at his feet. Granted, his ability to wind up Morelos whenever they play Sevco is quite a thing to behold...

Am I really missing something :confused:I don't get it either. Talked up big time by his bearded ex hun manager.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
23-09-2020, 07:59 PM
I don't get it either. Talked up big time by his bearded ex hun manager.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Have you seen McInnes look of late

The Modfather
23-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Am I really missing something :confused:

If Harry Maguire can go for £90m odd then £6m is good value. In all seriousness, fair play to Aberdeen holding out for a good fee and hopefully the start of Scottish clubs getting our players true value from English clubs.

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2020, 08:09 PM
If Harry Maguire can go for £90m odd then £6m is good value. In all seriousness, fair play to Aberdeen holding out for a good fee and hopefully the start of Scottish clubs getting our players true value from English clubs.

Its all about the length of contract. If we keep letting players get to their last year, they'll keep moving for cheap.

JimBHibees
23-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Thought it was 3m plus possible 2 in add ons. Think he will do well in championship

neil7908
23-09-2020, 08:25 PM
He's a good player. Not sure he's worth that money though.

HoboHarry
23-09-2020, 08:34 PM
I've wondered out loud on here before that we talk up Ryan Porteous but clubs like Bayern sign the young defender from Celtic and now McKenna is off. Meanwhile Porteous is still with us.....

weecounty hibby
23-09-2020, 08:39 PM
I've wondered out loud on here before that we talk up Ryan Porteous but clubs like Bayern sign the young defender from Celtic and now McKenna is off. Meanwhile Porteous is still with us.....
I would love Porteous to stay with us throughout his whole career! Why do we always seem desperate to sell our best players?

1van Sprou7e
23-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Honestly this is great for us

Abderdeen's results this season have been based around their solid defence and now that's been disrupted big time, look how much they struggled at the weekend without him

Gaffer1875
23-09-2020, 08:45 PM
I think in the English market it’s decent value. If he does well he’ll move to the EPL for £10m+.

Weakens Aberdeen too which is a bonus. Little surprised Celtic didn’t make a last minute move like they normally do!

When the time is right for the club and Porteous to move on, I can see us getting at least £5m. He won’t be short of offers I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supermcginn
23-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Very good player. He gets slated on here but how many times did we manage to beat Aberdeen when he was playing? They will miss him hugely as their humping by motherwell shows.

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-09-2020, 08:50 PM
6M is a shedload of money in Scotland if they plan to reinvest it back into the team.

green day
23-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Thought it was 3m plus possible 2 in add ons. Think he will do well in championship

Think you are right, the £6m was speculation based on that being what Aberdeen turned down last year.

For them to reach that figure, its appearance and caps based.

Good sell on clause though, like us with McGinn.

1van Sprou7e
23-09-2020, 08:57 PM
6M is a shedload of money in Scotland if they plan to reinvest it back into the team.

Seemingly they won't be, at least not with the cash they're getting up front

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/derek-mcinnes-says-3-million-fee-aberdeen-are-set-to-receive-for-scott-mckenna-wont-be-used-to-bolster-squad/

Magpie
23-09-2020, 09:04 PM
I think in the English market it’s decent value. If he does well he’ll move to the EPL for £10m+.

Weakens Aberdeen too which is a bonus. Little surprised Celtic didn’t make a last minute move like they normally do!

When the time is right for the club and Porteous to move on, I can see us getting at least £5m. He won’t be short of offers I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They might of if they didn’t get Duffy. I think Duffy is a much better player than McKenna is.

Iggy Pope
23-09-2020, 09:06 PM

Good

HoboHarry
23-09-2020, 09:23 PM
I would love Porteous to stay with us throughout his whole career! Why do we always seem desperate to sell our best players?

I'm not saying we should, just wondering why no other club has even tried to get him. As far as I'm aware at least......

Liam89
23-09-2020, 09:29 PM
I'm not saying we should, just wondering why no other club has even tried to get him. As far as I'm aware at least......

Wouldn't stress yourself out mate. I'd imagine it's because he's years younger than McKenna, has had to get over injuries and is only now establishing himself as a consistent rock in our defence.

Greenbeard
24-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Tattersalls are reporting this as a record breaking fee .......for a donkey.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Tattersalls are reporting this as a record breaking fee .......for a donkey.

Donkey. :faf: He's no Van Dyke, but in Scottish terms he's a very good centre half. Seen some crap written about him being slow and a liability, FFS i wish we'd had him in our back 4 for the last 5 or 6 years, and were getting the money they are for such a bad player.

Greenbeard
24-09-2020, 09:27 AM
Donkey. :faf: He's no Van Dyke, but in Scottish terms he's a very good centre half. Seen some crap written about him being slow and a liability, FFS i wish we'd had him in our back 4 for the last 5 or 6 years, and were getting the money they are for such a bad player.
Ok liberal use of the term donkey but likewise your use of "very" is liberal. It is all relative. Over-rated IMO. In international terms and I suspect even at Championship level, never mind Premier level, he ain't no thoroughbred. If I am proved wrong I'll don a donkey suit and give you a day of free rides on the beach.

Smartie
24-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Our view is possibly tainted as we saw him have a nightmare against us at ER when we won 3-0.

He hasn’t had many games that bad.

Also - English football is weird. Excellent players can go and make minimal impact. Average players can be very successful, and it’s often down to physical attributes. He’s a bit of a big lump, and very average big lumps can carve out great careers there (I always thought John Terry was very average whereas Rio Ferdinand was a top player).

JimBHibees

Couldn't agree more.

Gloucester Hibs
Have you seen McInnes look of late

Does he still resemble “Littlefinger” from Game of Thrones?

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Pish!

But just IMHO

:greengrin

Since452
24-09-2020, 09:46 AM

McKenna has 2 or 3 years on Porteous. I think Porteous will become a better player. He isn't far off it now.

HoboHarry
24-09-2020, 11:39 AM
McKenna has 2 or 3 years on Porteous. I think Porteous will become a better player. He isn't far off it now.
He does, no question about that but Hickey has now signed for Bologna and he is younger than Porteous.

Magpie
24-09-2020, 11:43 AM

I’d be surprised if there haven’t been enquiries but he’s got a long contract and probably enjoying playing for the team he supports. Another 2/3 seasons and if he drastically improves I’m sure there be firmer offers. In the meantime, enjoy him while we got him.

calumhibee1
24-09-2020, 12:39 PM
A decent defender at this level, nothing more. He’ll be found out down south and is part of the reason (although through no fault of his own that he’s selected) that the Scotland national team is so tragically bad.

CMurdoch
24-09-2020, 09:46 PM
A decent defender at this level, nothing more. He’ll be found out down south and is part of the reason (although through no fault of his own that he’s selected) that the Scotland national team is so tragically bad.

If he stays fit he will do well in the Championship. Has had lots of hamstring injuries and avoiding more will be his biggest challenge.

inglisavhibs
24-09-2020, 09:56 PM
Porteous will be getting tracked by many clubs, but as stated his injuries have set him back. If he continues to improve me might get this season and next at a push.

inglisavhibs
24-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Porteous will be getting tracked by many clubs, but as stated his injuries have set him back. If he continues to improve me might get this season and next at a push.

JimBHibees
25-09-2020, 06:01 AM

Disagree the Championship is predominantly about physicality and on that front he will do well.

jacomo
25-09-2020, 06:51 AM

Agree with this, but I have high hopes for Ryan so I can still agree that McKenna is a decent player... I think our guy has the potential to be better.

KingPat4
25-09-2020, 09:20 AM
He does, no question about that but Hickey has now signed for Bologna and he is younger than Porteous.

Hickey will be playing for Portsmouth in a year or two.

jacomo
25-09-2020, 09:45 AM

Another good player imo. Attacking full backs all the rage these days and he fits the profile. Bologna no doubt hoping they’ve signed the next Andy Robertson.

Just don’t feel the need to write off Scottish talent from other clubs. Of course, some people genuinely think McKenna is a donkey and Hickey brings youthful enthusiasm but little else... such opinions are fine but I feel that some folk slag them off just because they aren’t one of ours.

EdinMike
25-09-2020, 06:56 PM
I see he is playing tonight... let’s see how he gets on.

NC1875
25-09-2020, 08:05 PM
McKenna loses his man at the goal. Don’t get the hype around him tbh.

CathroMustStay
25-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Not a fan of McKenna at all.

The national team's dearth of viable centre backs is embarrassing.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Forest fans seem to think he had a decent game going by twitter

Can't be blaming him for the goal

Hope he does well down there

theonlywayisup
26-09-2020, 05:35 AM
Not a fan of McKenna at all.

The national team's dearth of viable centre backs is embarrassing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. At boys football, we prefer the big strong lads ahead of the wee skillful lad, who probably just hasn't grown as quickly as the other lads. The big strong lad who scores a barrowload of goals, just because of their height and strength. Or the man-mountain in defence who intimidates those approaching them. Tell me I'm wrong, but I've seen many coaches who have gone for the big strong lads ahead of the wee skillful lads.

However, when the games gets to the upper levels, they get found out by the lack of skill and/or speed. Meanwhile, the wee skillful lad has moved on to other sports. I've seen it a lot and it's been happening for years.

No doubt, I'll be told that I'm talking rubbish. However, why is for a nation that like the "big strong lad" at boys football level that we have a dearth of players in the areas that need big strong lads - the dominating centre back and the big number 9.

Beefster
26-09-2020, 07:23 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. At boys football, we prefer the big strong lads ahead of the wee skillful lad, who probably just hasn't grown as quickly as the other lads. The big strong lad who scores a barrowload of goals, just because of their height and strength. Or the man-mountain in defence who intimidates those approaching them. Tell me I'm wrong, but I've seen many coaches who have gone for the big strong lads ahead of the wee skillful lads.

However, when the games gets to the upper levels, they get found out by the lack of skill and/or speed. Meanwhile, the wee skillful lad has moved on to other sports. I've seen it a lot and it's been happening for years.

No doubt, I'll be told that I'm talking rubbish. However, why is for a nation that like the "big strong lad" at boys football level that we have a dearth of players in the areas that need big strong lads - the dominating centre back and the big number 9.

Variations of what you are saying are widely recognised - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_age_effect

Malcolm Gladwell had a chapter in Outliers dedicated to it.

calumhibee1
26-09-2020, 07:28 AM
Another good player imo. Attacking full backs all the rage these days and he fits the profile. Bologna no doubt hoping they’ve signed the next Andy Robertson.

Just don’t feel the need to write off Scottish talent from other clubs. Of course, some people genuinely think McKenna is a donkey and Hickey brings youthful enthusiasm but little else... such opinions are fine but I feel that some folk slag them off just because they aren’t one of ours.

I actually think Hickey is a very good player. Loads to work on but the foundations are definitely there.

I really just don’t see it with McKenna though. Never have since he broke through. From the highlights he looked like he toiled last night.

hibee316
26-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Agree.

Youth football still seems to be focussed on results rather than developing the players, even though the authorities have recognised this doesn't work.

It's the same as teaching to the test in education. The students have enough to get through an exam, but are found severely lacking in the skills required.

Still hear loads of people going on about "teaching the kids to be competitive and to win", completely missing the fact that winning at youth football doesn't correlate to being a successful professional.

calumhibee1
26-09-2020, 07:38 AM
Agree.

Youth football still seems to be focussed on results rather than developing the players, even though the authorities have recognised this doesn't work.

It's the same as teaching to the test in education. The students have enough to get through an exam, but are found severely lacking in the skills required.

Still hear loads of people going on about "teaching the kids to be competitive and to win", completely missing the fact that winning at youth football doesn't correlate to being a successful professional.

It’s a hard balance to find though. Keeping in mind that next to nobody makes it professional I can see why people want to win. I’m glad I won the amount of leagues and cups I did at youth football because I never made it pro - I’d have much rather that than being prepped for pro football when I’m never going to make it.

At the same time though, my brother played for a team at under 13s or 14s where they swept everyone aside purely cause they had 4 guys who would have been about 6 foot and much faster than anyone else through the spine of the team. It was impossible for other teams to compete with their size, even if the ability wasn’t up to much.

tamig
26-09-2020, 07:50 AM
Hickey will be playing for Portsmouth in a year or two.

Hickey looks an excellent young player any time I’ve seen him. I think he’ll only improve in Italy. If Portsmouth become another Man City, he might end up there.

hibee316
26-09-2020, 08:06 AM
It’s a hard balance to find though. Keeping in mind that next to nobody makes it professional I can see why people want to win. I’m glad I won the amount of leagues and cups I did at youth football because I never made it pro - I’d have much rather that than being prepped for pro football when I’m never going to make it.

At the same time though, my brother played for a team at under 13s or 14s where they swept everyone aside purely cause they had 4 guys who would have been about 6 foot and much faster than anyone else through the spine of the team. It was impossible for other teams to compete with their size, even if the ability wasn’t up to much.

Competitions wouldn't be scrapped if you did this. It would be the focus on the coaching that would change.
Instead of lumping it up to the kid who is a foot taller than everyone else so you an win 17-0, train the kids properly to play football.
This would require coaches across the board to focus on skill and technique as I agree losing heavily all the time just because you have not developed yet is very demoralising.

A youth coaches job should be to develop skill, technique, perseverance amognst other things. Not to feed their own ego by fielding the biggest players they can find.

lucky
26-09-2020, 08:18 AM
It all depends on what youth football is trying to achieve. Most premiership clubs take the kids young so they have responsibilities to coach them regardless of their size. But school and youth football where 99% or above won’t make it to the pro game are playing and coaching to win at that level.

I think McKenna is a good CH and Hickey is rated by far more qualified people than are on this forum. I hope they both develop as it will be beneficial for Scottish football.