PDA

View Full Version : Corners

Tully
20-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Why are we so poor at taking them

SaulGoodman
20-09-2020, 04:26 PM
I bet almost every team in the world asks the same questions.

I watch a lot of games and I barely ever think “That was a good corner”

nonshinyfinish
20-09-2020, 04:28 PM
IIRC an analysis of the EPL found that on average, teams score from 2 or 3% of corners. Are we doing significantly worse than that?

Hibernia&Alba
20-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Our set pieces have been poor for a long time. Teams that carry a constant threat from them have a big advantage.

04Sauzee
20-09-2020, 04:31 PM
This from 2017 shows you % of goals scored from a corner in the EPL

https://talksport.com/football/230431/revealed-each-premier-league-clubs-success-rate-corner-kicks-season-170510238614/

MWHIBBIES
20-09-2020, 04:31 PM
IIRC an analysis of the EPL found that on average, teams score from 2 or 3% of corners. Are we doing significantly worse than that?

Doubt it. Doidge goal vs Livi was from a corner. Penalty vs Saints came from a corner. Boyles goal last week was from a cross after the corner was cleared.

Think we're doing fine with them.

MWHIBBIES
20-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Our set pieces have been poor for a long time. Teams that carry a constant threat from them have a big advantage.

Pretty sure neither of those statements are true. I cant think of a real top team having been that dominant at corners. Its teams like Stoke, West Brom, Burnley. Ugly teams who need to scrap etc.

Aberdeen are a good side at corners. They've only scored more goals than us once since our promotion. We've had more the other 2 seasons and already have 8 more this season.

We've scored a good amount of goals from set pieces in the last 4/5 years. Just last season I can think of Jackson scoring 3 from set pieces. Doidge got a few vs Dundee United Probably a good few others as well. Hanlon, Porteous etc always grab a few.

Hibernia&Alba
20-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Pretty sure neither of those statements are true. I cant think of a real top team having been that dominant at corners. Its teams like Stoke, West Brom, Burnley. Ugly teams who need to scrap etc.

Aberdeen are a good side at corners. They've only scored more goals than us once since our promotion. We've had more the other 2 seasons and already have 8 more this season.

We've scored a good amount of goals from set pieces in the last 4/5 years. Just last season I can think of Jackson scoring 3 from set pieces. Doidge got a few vs Dundee United Probably a good few others as well. Hanlon, Porteous etc always grab a few.

It isn't just teams that win ugly who have an advantage from an expert dead ball taker. Remember David Beckham, for example, whose corners were deadly. If you have a corner taker/free kick taker who put it on a plate, it can be the difference in a tight game.

MWHIBBIES
20-09-2020, 04:51 PM
It isn't just teams that win ugly who have an advantage from an expert dead ball taker. Remember David Beckham, for example, whose corners were deadly. If you have a corner taker/free kick taker who put it on a plate, it can be the difference in a tight game.

Of course. It often has made a difference for us in games, though. I doubt Manchester United scored THAT many more goals from set plays than everyone else during that time. As the stats show, very few goals actually come for corners. Mallan is considered an expert from dead balls, we didn't really score than many more from corners when he was playing every week, did we?

It is something we can improve on but nothing to panic about.

Paul1642
20-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Bring back Rob Jones!

Speedy
20-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Bring back Rob Jones!

Can't remember him taking many corners :greengrin

Coach Jon
20-09-2020, 05:22 PM
Newells corners/free kicks are just floated in and are generally easy catching practice for the keeper. You need to drive the ball in with pace to get results.

JammyDoidger
20-09-2020, 05:28 PM
It's something we will need to watch next week. As Duffy and julien will be a massive threat, with Christie's delivery. They get the chances morelos and helander got today we won't be so lucky!

ancient hibee
20-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Newells corners/free kicks are just floated in and are generally easy catching practice for the keeper. You need to drive the ball in with pace to get results.

Last season Newell was putting corners into good areas.He seems to have lost the knack this season.

Sauerkraut
20-09-2020, 07:18 PM
My first post guys, and in my dotage. Seem to remember a you g man..Handy, Hondy, Hendo or something who was a little bit useful in this respect once. Sorry, can't be more precise but that's someone at door with a delivery or summat..

BILLYHIBS
20-09-2020, 07:20 PM
If Newall’s corners didn’t beat the first man they went straight to the goalie

Poor!

bigwheel
20-09-2020, 07:22 PM
If Newall’s corners didn’t beat the first man they went straight to the goalie

Poor!

Didn’t Hanlon have a free header off of one of his corners ?

SChibs
20-09-2020, 09:08 PM

If that's the case why is Jack Ross telling him to float it to the back post area

hibbysam
20-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Scoring from corners is extremely difficult and about a 1 in 100 occurrence of scoring from one. It’s why I used to laugh at people complaining about short corners, lumping the ball into a crowded area isn’t going to guarantee you a chance or a goal, Mallan has a quality delivery but we look no more likely to score from his set pieces usually.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2020, 09:32 PM
My first post guys, and in my dotage. Seem to remember a you g man..Handy, Hondy, Hendo or something who was a little bit useful in this respect once. Sorry, can't be more precise but that's someone at door with a delivery or summat..

Welcome Sauerkraut I think his name was Henry maybe wrong think he is playing in Spain now :greengrin:wink:

Magpie
20-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Won the Scottish Cup from three corners (if you include Hanlon’s goal at Tynecastle).

Jim44
20-09-2020, 09:34 PM
My God, we’re crap at corners now ........ add that to our uselessness at throw ins and we’ve not got much going for us in that part of the game. Still we seem to be surviving. :greengrin