PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Northernhibee
20-09-2020, 01:10 PM
In case anyone had forgotten that he’s still a hugely important player for us, today proved what he can do. Shored up the back line at a time of pressure, was always open for a pass and and looked to get forward.

Doig is an excellent player and hopefully the future for us but we need Lewis at the club. Chuffed for him today.

bigwheel
20-09-2020, 01:11 PM
Made a difference when he came on ..big call for Ross to move to a back 4 then - worked a treat

Borderhibbie76
20-09-2020, 01:13 PM
Made a huge difference when he came on my only gripe was the change should have been made at HT as it was clear young Doig was struggling defensively..however a good lesson for the young man

CMac1988
Indeed. Doig was under sustained pressure for a long spell and I actually thought he may have been subbed a little earlier. Learning experience for him but Stevenson came on along with a change in shape and it definitely have us a little breathing space.

wookie70
Made a difference when he came on ..big call for Ross to move to a back 4 then - worked a treat It was the obvious call imo and at least 15 minutes too late

hibee_girl
20-09-2020, 01:14 PM
He will still have a massive part to play this season.

Today (again) showed how lucky we are to have him.

Pretty Boy
20-09-2020, 01:21 PM
I think now is the time to take Doig out the firing line for a few weeks. He struggled a bit against a couple of very good players and his inexperience showed, he'll learn though.

That's how you should be managing young players and we are fortunate we are in a strong position both in terms of league position and results and also having an excellent, experienced replacement ready to slot in. We don't have to leave a young player in the deep end, put LS in for a few weeks and give Doig another run in time.

Since452
20-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Well played Lewis

Col2
20-09-2020, 01:26 PM
He settled us down significantly and we went to a back four which also helped.

Look fit, passed well and slotted in as he always done.

Shrekko
20-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Takes a true pro to come on in a game like that after hardly kicking a ball for months and play like that. Absolutely excellent - we have 2 good options at left back now which is great but I was always sure Lewis would remain a big player for us.

Mcpakeisgod
20-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Made a huge difference when he came on my only gripe was the change should have been made at HT as it was clear young Doig was struggling defensively..however a good lesson for the young man

Your not alone mate , Jack Ross said as much post match on Hibs TV . Said he was kicking himself as he felt he should’ve changed it earlier

Just Alf
20-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Him coming on and the tweak to the formation 'sorted us out' at the back... being sorted there allowed to guys up front to do their thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
20-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Young Doig is going to be a great player for us but he was struggling to cope defensively today and was really exposed for the equaliser. Stevenson steadied the ship when he came on and the sub allowed Boyle to play further forward.

HendoDelivered
20-09-2020, 01:40 PM
Never lets us down. Love the guy.

Tom Hart RIP
20-09-2020, 03:51 PM
One more game and he equals Eddie Turnbull’s appearances.

neil7908
20-09-2020, 03:55 PM
I'd be seriously considering giving Lewis a game next week from the start. I've been pushing for us to bring in some competition at left back but he made a huge difference today.

JohnM1875
20-09-2020, 03:57 PM
In case anyone had forgotten that he’s still a hugely important player for us, today proved what he can do. Shored up the back line at a time of pressure, was always open for a pass and and looked to get forward.

Doig is an excellent player and hopefully the future for us but we need Lewis at the club. Chuffed for him today.

Spot on. I felt much safer defensively when Lewis came on.

Doig will be learning constantly from Lewie as well in training.

I think I've said it on more than a few occasions on here. But I actually love the man. My favourite ever Hibs player. Club legend.

Wilson
20-09-2020, 04:05 PM
Young Doig is going to be a great player for us but he was struggling to cope defensively today and was really exposed for the equaliser. Stevenson steadied the ship when he came on and the sub allowed Boyle to play further forward.

Yes, but great players don't become great without tests like these. He'll have learned a lot from today and he'll take great comfort from the faith Jack Ross has shown and continues to show in him.

Stevenson did well when he came on. He has been a great player for us an continues to make a valuable contribution.

I'd persevere with young Doig personally. The coaches will know best.

Stantons Angel
20-09-2020, 06:24 PM
I personally thought Lewis might start today but the young lad did well again but was tiring badly in second half.

I was pleased when Lewis came on and the switch allowed some players to play further up the park and it worked a treat.

We were a bit fragile at the start of the second half and i thought maybe Ross would have brought him on at half time but when he did come on and the play switched you could see the difference in the confidence he brought with him.

He actually calmed things down on that side allowing others to get up front and play their game. I like Doig and he is an excellent prospect. he will learn a lot from Lewis and come into his own in time.

Its great for Hibs to have such an experienced player in the wings to come on and make a difference and nurture the younger player.

so well done again Lewis and Hibs too.

J-C
20-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Young Doig is the future whether that's at LB or as Hanlon's successor but he is still a youngster and before this season his experience was Div 2 at Queens Park, so it's only natural he'll make the odd mistake. He's seemingly working under Stevenson's wing, so that can only be a good thing, maybe as a couple have said it's time to give him a wee break and with Celtic up next week, it might be good to have wee Lewis back in the team.

Smartie
20-09-2020, 07:57 PM
I thought it suited us to have them play part of the game each.

Doig is younger and nimbler and Rangers are outstanding at pulling you all over the place. They often tire later in games as a result.

It was a tough shift for Doug but I think he did well.

It’ll be Forrest next week, who Stevenson has been known to keep very quiet, and it’ll be interesting to see how Ross approaches it.

murray26
20-09-2020, 08:00 PM
I would like to see them rotate all season.. excellent prospect learning from a club legend.

CMurdoch
20-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Doig allows Hibs to play a far more expansive game but Stevenson is a much better defender. Both are a compromise and it's up to Ross to decide which of them is the right guy at the right time.
Today's game was shouting out for Lewis to come on and steady the ship in the second half and when he came on things settled down. Great defender and still an essential part at left back.

IvanSproule
20-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Will still have a big part to play this season.

https://www.scotsman.com/images-e.jpimedia.uk/imagefetch/http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/Prestige.Item.1.75645707!image/image.jpg?width=640

GRA
20-09-2020, 08:48 PM
No qualms putting Doig in. Lad has done really well for us considering his age but he was always going to be tested today against the type of players he was up against. Good to see Lewy can come on and can use his experience to see the game out. Also never griped about being left out and seems genuinely happy to help Doig settle into the team. Top pro, will miss Mr Hibs when he does retire.

hibbysam
20-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Still a very good player as long as you don’t expect him to play up and down the left side on his own. He can’t play the wing back role when we play a back 3, but change it to the 4 like today and with players to work with and it works a treat. Solid and dependable. Composure in abundance today as well.

hhibs
20-09-2020, 09:16 PM
It was the obvious call imo and at least 15 minutes too late

I think in his interview after the game Jack Ross admitted he was too slow in making that sub.

Refreshingly honest.

hhibs
20-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Your not alone mate , Jack Ross said as much post match on Hibs TV . Said he was kicking himself as he felt he should’ve changed it earlier

Ops missed that

matty_f
20-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Lewis was really good when he came on, though I’d start Doig next week - games like these are really important in his development, he’ll have learned a lot today.

Lewis looked like he’d never been out the team, he’ll have an important role to play this season.

Nicho87
20-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Need to be careful not to give Doig burnout. Lewis might start next week.

hibeejeebies
21-09-2020, 06:29 AM
Lewis was really good when he came on, though I’d start Doig next week - games like these are really important in his development, he’ll have learned a lot today.

Lewis looked like he’d never been out the team, he’ll have an important role to play this season.

That's where I'm at Matty. By and large I felt Josh was fine yesterday. Unfazed in his last outing at Celtic Park, albeit in a bounce game, and found himself on the scoresheet.

Good options to have and it'll be a glorious day when Lewis hits the 500 mark.

CentreLine
21-09-2020, 06:45 AM
I hope Doig starts the game next week. It is these games especially that will make the difference in his progress and we don’t want him to feel he’s been “dropped”. However, it would do no harm to make the same switch for Stevenson during the second half when both players can benefit from not having to bust a gut for 90 mins.

LongJohnBanger
21-09-2020, 10:31 AM
lewis was really good when he came on, though i’d start doig next week - games like these are really important in his development, he’ll have learned a lot today.

dougie

H18 SFR
21-09-2020, 10:35 AM
I hope Doig starts the game next week. It is these games especially that will make the difference in his progress and we don’t want him to feel he’s been “dropped”. However, it would do no harm to make the same switch for Stevenson during the second half when both players can benefit from not having to bust a gut for 90 mins.

Interestingly, I’d actually start Stevenson then introduce Doig after a hour or so. It will do the lad no harm at all coming off the branch for the first time this season.

bigwheel
21-09-2020, 10:38 AM
lewis has quite a good track record against Forest iirc...could see him get a start. Doig is still learning the defensive side of his game. Would do him no harm to step out for a few games. he has done very well though, so he can be more than happy with his start to the season.

hibee_girl
21-09-2020, 04:05 PM
https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1308064801969582084?s=21

15 years. Doesn’t time fly? :greengrin

EdinMike
21-09-2020, 04:11 PM
https://youtu.be/pdt01RLW1jY

I’m not crying you’re crying...

Mickey Weir was always my hero as a Kid but Lewis will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Legend both on and off the park.

I think the fact that he doesn't seem to realise just how highly regarded he is just adds to the admiration I have for him.

You would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy.

Northernhibee
21-09-2020, 04:23 PM
One of the all time greats.

Still so chuffed he got a cap for his country too.

bigwheel
21-09-2020, 04:31 PM
Absolute manlove for Lewis...great pro..legend - someone who has worked hard to be the player he is . Without doubt my favourite modern player at our club..hope he stays around for as long as he wants . There a number or decent performances left in him yet and hopefully a couple more medals [emoji966]

KDY Hibs
21-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Club legend and such a selfless guy! Surely another 12 month contract on the cards?

DarlingtonHibee
21-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Legend, and seems a fantastic guy

cabbageandribs1875
21-09-2020, 06:14 PM
top ten appearances for hibs

1. Gordon Smith.......636
2. Arthur duncan.......626
3. Pat Stanton...........617
4. Willie Ormond.......506
5. Eddie Turnbull.......487
6. Lewis Stevenson...486
7. Peter Kerr...............483
8. Bobby Combe........467
9. Johnny Halligan.....457
10. Mathew Paterson.445

Onceinawhile
21-09-2020, 07:04 PM
top ten appearances for hibs

1. Gordon Smith.......636
2. Arthur duncan.......626
3. Pat Stanton...........617
4. Willie Ormond.......506
5. Eddie Turnbull.......487
6. Lewis Stevenson...486
7. Peter Kerr...............483
8. Bobby Combe........467
9. Johnny Halligan.....457
10. Mathew Paterson.445

Can see him getting to 4th, but would need a real effort to get higher.

HibbyAndy
21-09-2020, 07:24 PM

I'd tend to agree here that he won't get higher than 4th

Will call it a day though as hibs most Decorative player

B.H.F.C
21-09-2020, 07:30 PM
When I watched his interview on Hibs TV yesterday, I felt bad for giving him a hard time last season!

The role he has this year, helping the likes of Doig, coming on to help out when needed is probably more suited to him now so we might see better from him when he is on the pitch.

The legend status is not in doubt, of course.

cabbageandribs1875
21-09-2020, 07:58 PM

very much a possibility but i'm not too sure he will get another 21 appearances unless young doig picks up an injury or two, then again it's quite a demanding role for the young boy up and down the park in his first full season for the first team. he would need another two seasons at least to get any higher than 4th.

Jonnyboy
21-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Over the years I've been vociferous in my defence of Lewis when a number of netters talked him down. He's a far better footballer than some give him credit for and on top of that he's a genuine, humble and very well grounded guy.

I was fortunate enough to interview Lewis on the pitch at ER as the boys paraded the CIS Cup and my lasting memory of that was him saying he couldn't believe Hibs wanted him as in his opinion there were better players in his school team!

He's a gem of a guy and a gem of a footballer, Lewis and long may he stay on with Hibs

Kato
21-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Any striker in the world would be well pleased with that finish at Ibrox. Pretty difficult to get right.

loanheadhibby
21-09-2020, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;6306410]One of the all time greats.

Stilonel so chuffed he got a cap for his country too.[/QUOone of the all time greats! ReallyTE]

Northernhibee
21-09-2020, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;6306410]One of the all time greats.

Stilonel so chuffed he got a cap for his country too.[/QUOone of the all time greats! ReallyTE]

I like anagrams.

JimBHibees
21-09-2020, 08:40 PM
https://youtu.be/pdt01RLW1jY

I’m not crying you’re crying...

Mickey Weir was always my hero as a Kid but Lewis will always hold a special place in my heart.

That is a brilliant wee film about Lewis. What a star. :aok: :flag:

Shrekko
21-09-2020, 08:43 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned on the forum but I'd really recommend Lewis's 2 part interview on the Did Ye Aye Podcast. Think the interviewer is an old school pal and it's an excellent chat and you hear stuff that you wouldn't normally. Very honest about his lack of confidence and struggles to handle abuse from the stands etc., and amazed to hear the effect the 5-1 cup final had on him. Its been said a millions times but a more humble decent guy you'd do well to find. Its on apple and spotify.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/did-ye-aye-podcast/id1492753175?fbclid=IwAR1ExWQvmAItDJ9lL8aeizlVH5Cj 7x6MCpzb9Qk4BU8ZI6YuAQ8i24yy5dk#episodeGuid=https% 3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F40837532

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4wJr2XSXrkFfLtBxCaWBxQ?si=mpAdjx4aTDa_AR_U3mAB_A&fbclid=IwAR3MxpFJD7-jalSZm_msgQFO4jey3Gs-Go_XvYgG9U-D6z7J9tEO2_a-HwU

jacomo
21-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a listen.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again: I love Lewis.

Mango Man
21-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Really couldn't love the guy more, I would have him at Hibs the rest of his career, even if he wasn't half the player he was, I know it doesn't make sense financially and it's not good carrying deadwood(not that he is anywhere near being deadwood) but he deserves to be a 1 club man and have a job for life at Hibs, he is an inspiration.

MWHIBBIES
21-09-2020, 09:17 PM
very much a possibility but i'm not too sure he will get another 21 appearances unless young doig picks up an injury or two, then again it's quite a demanding role for the young boy up and down the park in his first full season for the first team. he would need another two seasons at least to get any higher than 4th.

He could definitely win his spot back, along with cup ties etc. Should comfortable get it.

EdinMike
21-09-2020, 09:21 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned on the forum but I'd really recommend Lewis's 2 part interview on the Did Ye Aye Podcast. Think the interviewer is an old school pal and it's an excellent chat and you hear stuff that you wouldn't normally. Very honest about his lack of confidence and struggles to handle abuse from the stands etc., and amazed to hear the effect the 5-1 cup final had on him. Its been said a millions times but a more humble decent guy you'd do well to find. Its on apple and spotify.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/did-ye-aye-podcast/id1492753175?fbclid=IwAR1ExWQvmAItDJ9lL8aeizlVH5Cj 7x6MCpzb9Qk4BU8ZI6YuAQ8i24yy5dk#episodeGuid=https% 3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F40837532

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4wJr2XSXrkFfLtBxCaWBxQ?si=mpAdjx4aTDa_AR_U3mAB_A&fbclid=IwAR3MxpFJD7-jalSZm_msgQFO4jey3Gs-Go_XvYgG9U-D6z7J9tEO2_a-HwU

This will be bed time listening, looking forward to this !

Keyser Sauzee
21-09-2020, 09:25 PM
When does is current deal run to?

hibee_girl
21-09-2020, 09:28 PM
When does is current deal run to?

The end of this season.

JimBHibees
21-09-2020, 09:48 PM

That is well worth a listen.

dp00
21-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Class podcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
24-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Great podcasts. His comments on Lennon are illuminating. No tactics, completely unprofessional bullying behaviour and an attitude that worked for a year but was destined for failure. Amazing that he thought Lennon was his best manager. Lewis should consider a book as his story is amazing and he tells it superbly

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2020, 02:16 PM
I've criticised Lewis as much as anyone over the years, but he's one of only 2 player's who's pictures are hung on my wall at home holding the cup aloft at Hampden. Legend. ❤️❤️❤️

Oscar T Grouch
24-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Just finished listening to the Lewis pods. Genuine insight into Hibs and Lewis himself. Interesting comments about Lennon, interesting about his wage level/demands. Said what we all felt about the 2012 cup final (so not caring about result). That’s the most open you’ll ever hear LS I think. Well worth a listen.

bigwheel
24-09-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for sharing that - wonderful listen ..what a humble great character Lewis is ...

Interesting to hear him talk about the difference Lennon made to the club and the winning mentality of the team..clearly feels he was the best manager he’s worked for.

Also interesting to hear that he had an Achilles problem all last season ....

wookie70
24-09-2020, 07:57 PM
Thanks for sharing that - wonderful listen ..what a humble great character Lewis is ...

Interesting to hear him talk about the difference Lennon made to the club and the winning mentality of the team..clearly feels he was the best manager he’s worked for.

Also interesting to hear that he had an Achilles problem all last season ....

It would have been fascinating if the interviewer had pressed him on why Lennon lost so may games during his last season with us or why that initial season saw him get around the same amount of points in a weaker division than Stubbs had. I'll admit to not liking the way he managed, that isn't a football thing that is a human thing, however Lewis liking him did give him some bonus points for me. Lewis is the type of winner I like - classy, considerate, responsible but hard as nails and gives everything.

MrRobot
24-09-2020, 11:05 PM
absolute legend.

Cat Stanton
25-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Really interesting listen - thanks for posting it. Best summed up in one word:"humility".