PDA

View Full Version : Bob Crampsey

Since452
18-09-2020, 07:40 AM
Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.

G15 Hibs
18-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.

I'm sure the story was he was a Third Lanark supporter. He grew up near both Cathkin and Hampden and would go to watch Thirds one week and Queen's Park the next, as well as any other big games at Hampden. His brother Frank was a goalkeeper who played over 100 games for Queen's and Bob wrote a book on their history for their centenary in 1967.

Bob won Brain of Britain and had such incredible knowledge on so many subjects that whatever he said carried a gravitas that was unmatched on Sportsound and has never been replaced.

hibbyfraelibby
18-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Crampsey was never on Sportsound...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!

Since452
18-09-2020, 08:00 AM
Crampsey was never on Sportscene...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!
He was definitely on Sportsound though

Sammy7nil
18-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Bob was very good and enjoyed listening to him he might have stayed on a year or two too long. Unlike Chic who has been there about 30 years too long.

Hiber-nation
18-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Bob would be turning in his grave if he heard the likes of English, Dodds and McCann.

Jim44
18-09-2020, 08:12 AM

I think the school may have been in Coatbridge. JJ Gilmour, singer with the original Silencers often references Bob Crampsey at his gigs as the Headmaster who expelled him saying he would come to nothing in life. Most of today’s presenters and pundits couldn’t hold a candle to him.

The Count
18-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Rumour years ago that he was in the running to be the first Rector of Holyrood School in Edinburgh.Is cousin Fr Crampsey until recently was a priest at Sacred Heart.Once heard him interviewed on the radio and he was asked his favourite player.He replied Gordon Smith and the numpty interviewing him thought it was the Rangers player !!! Bob quickly put him right.

Since452
18-09-2020, 08:33 AM
I think the school may have been in Coatbridge. JJ Gilmour, singer with the original Silencers often references Bob Crampsey at his gigs as the Headmaster who expelled him saying he would come to nothing in life. Most of today’s presenters and pundits couldn’t hold a candle to him.

Aye very very knowledgeable man. Always spoke well of Hibs

GonzoReturns
18-09-2020, 08:48 AM
It’s embarrassing to think of the ‘experts’ we now have to listen to (not that I listen to Sportsound anymore).

Greenbeard
18-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Crampsey was never on Sportsound...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!
I thought he was on Scotsport on STV.
Whatever, I agree his gravitas was immense. Dodds won't even know what that means.

Billy Whizz
18-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Probably a little known fact, but Archie Macpherson’s son, has a season ticket in the East beside us, and has done for many years

McSwanky
18-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Whatever, I agree his gravitas was immense. Dodds won't even know what that means.

Crampsey was a radio guy. You're maybe thinking of Arthur Montford - another great commentator, but couldn't hold a candle to the great Bob IMO.

As for the current crop of 'experts' - to compare them in any way would be an insult to BC.

PeeJay
18-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Yeah, I remember him on STV's Scotsport all those years ago too when I still stayed in the UK, he changed later on to the radio - wonder how he would have got on in today's footballing world?

Since452
18-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Won the Brain of Britain back in the 1960's. Clever man.

Bobo
18-09-2020, 09:15 AM
For me Crampsey was the best, I thought Alastair Alexander was pretty good too.

McSwanky
18-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I remember him on STV's Scotsport all those years ago too when I still stayed in the UK, he changed later on to the radio - wonder how he would have got on in today's footballing world?

I stand corrected, can only assume that his Scotsport tenure was before my time. Sorry to Greenbeard!

Is It On....
18-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Bob would be turning in his grave if he heard the likes of English, Dodds and McCann.

Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotry

Is It On....
18-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Crampsey was a radio guy. You're maybe thinking of Arthur Montford - another great commentator, but couldn't hold a candle to the great Bob IMO.

As for the current crop of 'experts' - to compare them in any way would be an insult to BC.

Wasn't Arthur a Dumbarton fan? Great sports jackets as well 😂

c31
18-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Morton, I believe..

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Legend !

:not worth

Up there with David Francey

Jim44
18-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotry

First part is definitely true but his status as a serious journalist took a major dip recently when he misguidedly embarked on his campaign to ‘save Hearts’, at any opportunity.

Lago
18-09-2020, 09:49 AM
He was the complete journalist, I attended a talk he hosted in Kirkcaldy many years ago, about Glasgow during WW2. Included aspects of the Clydebank blitz. He had amazing knowledge, the time flew past.

The Count
18-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Once saw Ian Archer leaving Easter Road looked like a guy that liked the sauce too much.

Jim44
18-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Arthur Montford and his infamous dog-tooth and herring bone sports jackets that played havoc with the old black and white telly screens. :greengrin

Peevemor
18-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Arthur's son Geoff was (maybe still is) a DJ in Glasgow. He's a friend of friends and I met him a couple of times. Strangely I was more star struck than when I've met other people who are famous in their own right.

WhileTheChief..
18-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Back in the day folk complained about Arthur Montford and Archie McPherson just as much as we complain about Dodds and English these days.

scoopyboy
18-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Bob Crampsey was a gem of a man, we've not had anybody even close to him since he passed.

Had incredible knowledge and worked for both BBC and STV over his career outwith journalism.

One particular story made me respect him even more.

My Uncle Alex played for Pencaitland Amateurs when they reached the Scottish Amateur Cup Final two years in a row in the early 1960s, one year they got beaten 6-0 by Queens Park at Hampden (who changed their team entirely and played the team that was in the Scottish First Division beside Hibs at that time) and the other was a 1-0 loss to Bearsden at Powderhall.

Alex seemed to recall that highlights of the finals were shown on the tv and he wrote to Bob asking if he had any recollection of them. Bob replied promptly to state he could and he would try to locate them and get him a copy. He tried over a long period of time to locate them at both channels but alas couldn't get them. My Auntie Cathie still has the letters from Bob.

A great man who took time out to try and help someone who loved football as much as him.

Groathillgrump
18-09-2020, 10:38 AM
I think I told this story on here years ago but I'll bore you all with it again. :greengrin

I used to work for a book publisher and we were trying to get Bob Crampsey to write a book for us. He came in to see us to discuss the project and after the meeting I got chatting to him about football.

He casually dropped into the conversation the fact that he'd heard that Mo Johnston was about to sign for Rangers. To be honest, I thought Bob had lost the plot as days earlier Johnston had been paraded at Parkhead in a Celtic top, not to mention the fact that he was a 'Celtic-minded' catholic and Rangers at that point were still clinging on to their strict no catholics policy.

Anyway, as we all know his info turned out to be 100% spot on and I always regretted the fact that I never ran to the bookie's that afternoon to see what odds I could get on Johnston joining Rangers. I could've made a small fortune but at the time it all seemed too ridiculous to be true.

RitchieHibs
18-09-2020, 10:43 AM

What's he doing on sportsound then other than being a budge, levein and all things hearts loyalist that is? Sportsounds a sorry joke these days.

Cat Stanton
18-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Probably a little known fact, but Archie Macpherson’s son, has a season ticket in the East beside us, and has done for many years

Woof!

Does he look like his Dad?

Back on topic, I met Bob Crampsey once at some sort of social function years ago. Was struggling for small talk until I mentioned Hibs - and that was that. An hour of encyclopedic knowledge about Hibs through the decades then followed. Couldn't get another word in.

Peevemor
18-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Back in the day folk complained about Arthur Montford and Archie McPherson just as much as we complain about Dodds and English these days.

Montford commentated, presented and usually just stuck to the facts. Archie McPherson was far more opinionated and offered his own point of view fairly regularly, thus he tended to get more stick.

Alfred E Newman
18-09-2020, 11:20 AM

You are correct, at least in the 1960s.
Bob Crampsey was the commentator on the long lost recording of the Napoli game. He obviously worked for the BBC in later years.

teamholm
18-09-2020, 11:28 AM
To think we once had
Bob Crampsey
Alistair Alexander
David Francey

Even Archie and Arthur on the tv

The rot started with Gerry mcnee
Now we’ve a cast of 1000s who are inarticulate masters of stating the obvious. Sorry I don’t normally post but just enjoy reading the comments but this really drove home how bad the bbc sports department has become.

Is It On....
18-09-2020, 11:37 AM
To think we once had
Bob Crampsey
Alistair Alexander
David Francey

Now we’ve a cast of 1000s who are inarticulate masters of stating the obvious. Sorry I don’t normally post but just enjoy reading the comments but this really drove home how bad the bbc sports department has become.

I didn't like Gerry MvNee either. Awful individual. On rare occasions when I was able to tune into Clyde James Sanderson was comedy gold....it was around the time the Tin Man was playing for now defunct Glasgow club.

Since452
18-09-2020, 11:38 AM
To think we once had
Bob Crampsey
Alistair Alexander
David Francey

True. David Begg was very good too. Was never a fan of Archie MacPherson or Gerry McNee. I actually quite liked Jock Brown as a commentator

Kato
18-09-2020, 11:39 AM
Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotryHes more verbose, but that doesn't mean he's not stupid. However I reckon he isn't stupid, he's just very, very sly bordering on the snide - so you have to question why that is.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Peevemor
18-09-2020, 11:45 AM
I didn't like Gerry MvNee either. Awful individual. On rare occasions when I was able to tune into Clyde James Sanderson was comedy gold....it was around the time the Tin Man was playing for now defunct Glasgow club.

I've posted this a few times but my ex father-in-law had seats in the Waddell Suite at Ibrox and I would go there when Hibs were playing. We were right in front of the press box and he often had to ask whoever he was sitting beside what had happened and which player did what. Maybe just an eyesight problem but you wonder why he was reporting on matches in that case.

For what it's worht, the majority of folk in the press box were usually well oiled.

EVENTUALLY
18-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Rumour years ago that he was in the running to be the first Rector of Holyrood School in Edinburgh.Is cousin Fr Crampsey until recently was a priest at Sacred Heart.Once heard him interviewed on the radio and he was asked his favourite player.He replied Gordon Smith and the numpty interviewing him thought it was the Rangers player !!! Bob quickly put him right.

The radio discussion that I heard was a debate among the presenters and pundits in the studio and around the grounds prior to kick offs to identify the best Scottish player that they had seen. The merits of Jimmy Johnstone, Henrik Larson and Brian Laudrup and a few other notable players were offered until Richard Gordon invited Bob Crampsey to name the best player he has ever seen play in the Scottish Leagues and actually suggested Bob would endorse Laudrup who he did rate highly. Without hesitation Bob said that he had never seen anyone who was better than Gordon Smith and he went on to explain why the Prince of Wingers was unrivaled and should be heralded as the greatest without any shadow of doubt.

bawheid
18-09-2020, 12:10 PM
It was either Alistair Alexander or David Begg who was commentating on France v Scotland when Faddy scored the screamer. The commentary upon the full time whistle was fantastic spine tingling stuff. I’ve never been able to find it again.

To think we now have Rob McLean.

Clarence
18-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Correct. His retirement effectively heralded a “Jerry Springerisation” of sports journalism. They’d rather provoke conflict and sensationalism than provide cerebral analysis and well structured eloquent reporting.

Greenbeard
18-09-2020, 12:27 PM
To think we once had
Bob Crampsey
Alistair Alexander
David Francey

The good old days, although I recall Francey mucking up his commentary a few times.
IIRC Ian Archer took over Bob Crampsey's slot on Scotsport but wasn't a patch on him. Alex Cameron had a go too but his best piece to camera was when he got shunted by the rear end of a muckle big frisky police horse. The look on his face! Near wet masel at the time. Sadly can't find it on U Choob.

Oscar T Grouch
18-09-2020, 01:12 PM

That will be Holy Rood School, I went there and for some reason they loved telling us it was two words unlike every other Holyrood in Scotland

RitchieHibs
18-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Correct. His retirement effectively heralded a “Jerry Springerisation” of sports journalism. They’d rather provoke conflict and sensationalism than provide cerebral analysis and well structured eloquent reporting.

Plus if you're not either an ex hearts, rangers, aberdeen or motherwell fan or player you've very little chance of being on the show. If they wanted balance they'd have at least one ex Hibs player or supporter on as a regular contributor. Tam Mcmanus and Craig Paterson were decent but never on now. Its Dodds, Biscuits, McCann, Mcfadden etc. Sportsound has never been so biased imo in all my years of listening to it. As for English's recent campaigning on behalf of budge and hearts it was chronic extremely one sided tedium.

Shrekko
18-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Once saw Ian Archer leaving Easter Road looked like a guy that liked the sauce too much.

Pretty sure there rumours that it was other stuff he was heavily into- that would make you behave differently.

McSwanky
18-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Plus if you're not either an ex hearts, rangers, aberdeen or motherwell fan or player you've very little chance of being on the show. If they wanted balance they'd have at least one ex Hibs player or supporter on as a regular contributor. Tam Mcmanus and Craig Paterson were decent but never on now. Its Dodds, Biscuits, McCann, Mcfadden etc. Sportsound has never been so biased imo in all my years of listening to it. As for English's recent campaigning on behalf of budge and hearts it was chronic extremely one sided tedium.

I get your point, but hasn't Yogi been a reasonably regular pundit when he's out of a job, and I'm sure I've heard John Collins on a few times as well? And is Pat Bonner not on quite a lot too from a Celtc perspective? I'm not a regular listener, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.

superfurryhibby
18-09-2020, 01:50 PM

Both of them liked to minimise the bad behaviour of players on the field. A vicious tackle...Archie says " he slightly mistimed that one"...… A Drew Busby elbow to the coupon, Arthur says " momentum from the jump carried the elbow up to face height there". Neither liked to rock the boat much, a\nd that';s an understatement.

Purple & Green
18-09-2020, 02:18 PM

There are people out there with that knowledge of Scottish Football - David Ross & Andy Mitchell spring to mind. They just don't get a platform in the conventional media & I think that is more an era thing than knowledge thing.

superfurryhibby
18-09-2020, 03:10 PM
That will be Holy Rood School, I went there and for some reason they loved telling us it was two words unlike every other Holyrood in Scotland

It should be two words though. As you know Holy Rood means Holy Cross, referring to miraculous intervention of the Chief when daftie King David was unhorsed and about to be impaled on the antlers of a crazed stag he's been hunting. I think the distaste for anything that resembled popery led to the place name Holy Rood becoming Holyrood and the change of pronunciation so that Holy became Holly.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Bob Crampsey, Alastair Alexander and James Alexander Gordon on the radio on the way home from the game followed by getting sent to get a Pink and bag of chips later in the evening.

An early 90s childhood (and I daresay for a generation or 3 before).

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2020, 03:48 PM

couldn’t ever stand his nasal delivery but don’t dispute then quality of content over his modern day ‘equivalent’

MM19
18-09-2020, 04:14 PM
When we were going to one of the Scottish Cup semi-finals against Rangers (which we won) in the seventies he was going to the match with a couple of laddies. One was wearing a huns scarf and the other one a Hibs scarf.

lord bunberry
18-09-2020, 04:24 PM
couldn’t ever stand his nasal delivery but don’t dispute then quality of content over his modern day ‘equivalent’
He had a very distinctive voice, I remember as kids we would do impressions of him and Francey.

Bishop Hibee
18-09-2020, 05:03 PM
He was a giant of football writing and broadcasting. Too many empty vessels competing with each other now.

Billy Whizz
18-09-2020, 05:03 PM
When we were going to one of the Scottish Cup semi-finals against Rangers (which we won) in the seventies he was going to the match with a couple of laddies. One was wearing a huns scarf and the other one a Hibs scarf.

They always said Archie was a blue nose

Sudds_1
18-09-2020, 05:15 PM
He was a giant of football writing and broadcasting. Too many empty vessels competing with each other now.

Agree 100% crampsey forgot more about football - andhow to write good informed entertaining copy - than the current crop could ever achieve - perhaps with the exception of mcIlvanney.

ancient hibee
18-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Bob Crampsey, Alastair Alexander and James Alexander Gordon on the radio on the way home from the game followed by getting sent to get a Pink and bag of chips later in the evening.

An early 90s childhood (and I daresay for a generation or 3 before).

For us auld yins the Pink and the Green.

Greenbeard
18-09-2020, 08:12 PM
For us auld yins the Pink and the Green.
The Green? Are you frae Ahburdeen?
(I'm a poet and don't even know it.)

HoboHarry
18-09-2020, 08:30 PM
The Green? Are you frae Ahburdeen?
(I'm a poet and don't even know it.)
I'm not from Aberdeen but I used to deliver the Green Final in my younger years :)

eezyrider
18-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Bob Crampsey was a legend. I always loved listening to him.

Who was the Evening News reporter in the late 70s that was doing the match reports on BBC on Hibs and Hearts matches, usually slagging us off?
To be fair we were rank at the time and he wasn't any more generous on Hearts if memory serves right.

EZ

Islington Hibs
18-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Bob Crampsey died in 2008. 12 years ago. It is a measure of the man that more than a decade after his passing so many are moved to write so warmly about this non partisan observer.

Compare and contrast with today.

The Count
18-09-2020, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=eezyrider;6302789]Bob Crampsey was a legend. I always loved listening to him.

Who was the Evening News reporter in the late 70s that was doing the match reports on BBC on Hibs and Hearts matches, usually slagging us off?
To be fair we were rank at the time and he wasn't any more generous on Hearts if memory serves right.

Alistair Dewar read the lesson at St Johns Portobello in the same dreary voice

RitchieHibs
18-09-2020, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=eezyrider;6302789]Bob Crampsey was a legend. I always loved listening to him.

Alistair Dewar read the lesson at St Johns Portobello in the same dreary voice

It seems to be the norm for jambos to report on hibs matches. One of the biggest insults was to have biscuits preston doing it for the bbc. The guy has a dug^^^e voice for it and is an obvious jambo. Gibby the Hibby was the last decent hibby reporter I remember. The bbc has become a rangers hearts anti snp borefest. A disgrace.

O'Rourke3
18-09-2020, 10:05 PM
Bob Crampsey was always worth a listen. My memories of the radio broadcasts of the 80s and 90s was if he was present at a Hibs game, we usually lost or didnt win. Pretty sure he was at the game we were 4-1 up against Dundee and managed a draw.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
19-09-2020, 01:43 AM
Bob Crampsey died in 2008. 12 years ago. It is a measure of the man that more than a decade after his passing so many are moved to write so warmly about this non partisan observer.

Compare and contrast with today.

Absolutely ... A brilliant observer of the game and commentator. Whenever I think of him it's always with the word THRASHED in mind, in that slightly well spoken accent he had. EG .... 'i remember being at Cathkin Park in 1953 when Third Lanarkshire rifle volunteers were THRASHED five nil by Hibernian' :greengrin

Since452
19-09-2020, 08:11 AM
To make it worse Radio Scotland have had Martin Geissler presenting Good Morning Scotland this week. Droning on about Hearts. Can't escape it.

davy67 +
19-09-2020, 10:04 AM
I always enjoyed listening to Bob on a Saturday before , during and after the match , he was essential listening. Guys like him are fabulous to listen to . Takes me back to the times before "open all mics" came along and you had to wait until about 5 minutes before kickoff time before they announced what the commentary game was going to be , but you could usefully work it out depending on which ground Alistair Alexander was , also back then it was only the last 5 minutes of the first half and a second half commentary you got, because the SFA wanted fans to go to the games rather than stay at home and listen on the radio.

hibbyfraelibby
19-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Holyrood HS was named after the Holy Ruid aka the Holy Cross. Got on our wicks at Auggies where the real Holy Cross Academy merged with St. Andrews to form that school.