PDA

View Full Version : Hibs official website

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 05:43 PM
Whoever does our official website stats clearly thinks we've had a proper rubbish start to the season going on the attached.

Thankfully we know better :greengrin

KILMARNOCK H 2:1
LIVINGSTON A 1:4
DUNDEE UTD A 0:1
MOTHERWELL H 0:0
STJOHNSTONE A 0:1
ABERDEEN H 0:1

17-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Whoever does our official website stats clearly thinks we've had a proper rubbish start to the season going on the attached.

Looks right to me. It's the home team's score 1st, not Hibs'.

jacomo
17-09-2020, 05:53 PM

Is this a massive whoosh from the op?

:greengrin

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Yeah I think that's what they have done which would be fine if the format was as below. However to an outsider reading the stats page they would read it as we've been ***** so far :greengrin Also how will they record the semi-final score played at a neutral venue using the current format? :greengrin

HIBERNIAN H 2:1 KILMARNOCK
LIVINGSTON A 1:4 HIBERNIAN
DUNDEE UTD A 0:1 HIBERNIAN
MOTHERWELL H 0:0 MOTHERWELL
STJOHNSTONE A 0:1HIBERNIAN
HIBERNIAN H 0:1 ABERDEEN
ST MIRREN A 0:3 HIBERNIAN

or maybe

KILMARNOCK H WIN 2:1
LIVINGSTON A WIN 1:4
DUNDEE UTD A WIN 0:1
MOTHERWELL H DREW 0:0
STJOHNSTONE A WIN 0:1
ABERDEEN H LOST TO DIRTY NEGATIVE TACTICS 0:1
ST MIRREN A WIN 0:3

wookie70
17-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Yeah I think that's what they have done which would be fine if the format was as below. However to an outsider reading the stats page they would read it as we've been ***** so far :greengrin Also how will they record the semi-final score played at a neutral venue using the current format? :greengrin

HIBERNIAN H 2:1 KILMARNOCK
LIVINGSTON A 1:4 HIBERNIAN
DUNDEE UTD A 0:1 HIBERNIAN
MOTHERWELL H 0:0 MOTHERWELL
STJOHNSTONE A 0:1HIBERNIAN
HIBERNIAN H 0:1 ABERDEEN
ST MIRREN A 0:3 HIBERNIAN

or maybe

KILMARNOCK H WIN 2:1
LIVINGSTON A WIN 1:4
DUNDEE UTD A WIN 0:1
MOTHERWELL H DREW 0:0
STJOHNSTONE A WIN 0:1
ABERDEEN H LOST TO DIRTY NEGATIVE TACTICS 0:1
ST MIRREN A WIN 0:3

There are home and away teams at neutral venue semis and finals. First named on fixture is the home team

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 07:22 PM
There are home and away teams at neutral venue semis and finals. First named on fixture is the home team

Sure but that's not the point I'm making.

Someone reading the Hibs website to see the Hibs results for the season won't know that. To understand the results, using the format on the Hibs website, you basically need to already know the scores so why bother :greengrin

As above it's easily fixed by adding WIN, LOST or DRAW I suppose.

H18 SFR
17-09-2020, 07:31 PM

KILMARNOCK H 2:1
LIVINGSTON A 1:4
DUNDEE UTD A 0:1
MOTHERWELL H 0:0
STJOHNSTONE A 0:1
ABERDEEN H 0:1

Wind up?

CmoantheHibs
17-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Home teams score first is the universal system for writing football results. There is nothing wrong with how it’s written.

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Sure but that's not the point I'm making.

Someone reading the Hibs website to see the Hibs results for the season won't know that. To understand the results, using the format on the Hibs website, you basically need to already know the scores so why bother :greengrin

As above it's easily fixed by adding WIN, LOST or DRAW I suppose.

No they wouldn’t, it is correct and virtually every football fan would understand it. Am I missing something here and you are on the wind up?

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Home teams score first is the universal system for writing football results. There is nothing wrong with how it’s written.

No it’s not universal nor has it been used by Hibs before. As above (without knowing the score) how would you deal with a game played at a neutral venue? If someone was to read the Hibs results page to see how we have been performing they would get the scores wrong.

Hey hoo just an error I spotted and the fix would be to add WIN, LOSE or DRAW.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2020, 07:53 PM
No it’s not universal nor has it been used by Hibs before. As above (without knowing the score) how would you deal with a game played at a neutral venue? If someone was to read the Hibs results page to see how we have been performing they would get the scores wrong.

Hey hoo just an error I spotted and the fix would be to add WIN, LOSE or DRAW.

Hibs have put the scores up like that on the website for years.

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 07:54 PM
No they wouldn’t, it is correct and virtually every football fan would understand it. Am I missing something here and you are on the wind up?

So how would this work for a neutral game? Not a wind up and I do understand the logic, it’s just flawed. As it requires the reader to already know the score.

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Hibs have put the scores up like that on the website for years.

Ok fair enough

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 08:04 PM

So for argument sake if Hibs are drawn as the away team v Hearts in the semi and win 2-0 the score will be as below? But if I was to look at that result without knowing that I’d read it as a win to Hearts. That’s all I’m saying 😁

Hearts N 0:2

Inconsequential
17-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Home teams score first is the universal system for writing football results. There is nothing wrong with how it’s written. Absolutely! :agree:

CockneyRebel
17-09-2020, 08:11 PM
So for argument sake if Hibs are drawn as the away team v Hearts in the semi and win 2-0 the score will be as below? But if I was to look at that result without knowing that I’d read it as a win to Hearts. That’s all I’m saying 😁

Hearts N 0:2

I think you need to have a lie down m8.

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Absolutely! :agree:

I don’t disagree but it needs to be in the correct format which the Hibs website is not. Aberdeen’s website Is an example of how it should be done.

SMAXXA
17-09-2020, 08:13 PM
I’m going to guess we see a new club website soon

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 08:14 PM
I think you need to have a lie down m8.

Probably right butt my point is correct 👍🏼😁

H18 SFR
17-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Maybe worth taking this up with the fans rep - help you sleep tonight.

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Maybe worth taking this up with the fans rep - help you sleep tonight.

Haha I never said it was important just a wee annoying website error. I am a stats geek to be fair so recording scores like this would always grate someone like me 😁

See what happens when there’s no midweek game on

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Haha I never said it was important just a wee annoying website error. I am a stats geek to be fair so recording scores like this would always grate someone like me 😁

It's not an error, though. It's on purpose.

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2020, 09:38 PM

There is no error!

mim
17-09-2020, 09:44 PM
I'm in complete agreement with the OP.
It's not the best way to present the results.

sleeping giant
17-09-2020, 11:32 PM
I'm in complete agreement with the OP.
It's not the best way to present the results.

Me too :agree:

Callum_62
18-09-2020, 12:02 AM
So how would this work for a neutral game? Not a wind up and I do understand the logic, it’s just flawed. As it requires the reader to already know the score.How was May 2016 Cup final score reported?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

RoYO!
18-09-2020, 06:01 AM
On a related note... I think! I remember seeing a league table on the the rangers website- (dont ask!) And they had decided to not include any team above them in the league! It made it look at first glance that they were strolling it. An odd bunch.

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 06:05 AM
There is no error!

I’ve already explained this if you read the thread. It’s an error in the sense it requires a certain amount of knowledge and is not a universal format.

Trust me I’ve been studying stats a long time and this is not correct.

Easy fixed however.

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 06:07 AM
How was May 2016 Cup final score reported?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

From memory we were the “away” team so if they were consistent it would have been..

Rangers N 2:3

Diclonius
18-09-2020, 06:29 AM
The website has done this for years but I agree, it's really stupid.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2020, 06:33 AM
I’ve already explained this if you read the thread. It’s an error in the sense it requires a certain amount of knowledge and is not a universal format.

Trust me I’ve been studying stats a long time and this is not correct.

Easy fixed however.

Trust me I’ve been reading football scores for a long time and it is correct, requires no knowledge and as far as I am concerned is a universal format for football scores. End of.

Sir David Gray
18-09-2020, 07:00 AM
From memory we were the “away” team so if they were consistent it would have been..

Rangers N 2:3

That's exactly how the score is recorded.

Keith_M
18-09-2020, 07:03 AM
Drinking has increased quite a lot during Lockdown...

greenlad
18-09-2020, 07:19 AM
Trust me I’ve been reading football scores for a long time and it is correct, requires no knowledge and as far as I am concerned is a universal format for football scores. End of.

The convention of home score first and away second is what I'd expect when results are being reported in a "neutral" place, i.e. newspapers, BBC, when both teams names are given. (Universal everywhere except North America)

However when results are being given from one teams perspective (i.e. Hibs match programme, or the Hibs website) you'd expect that teams score to be given first regardless of whether it was home or away. That's the way the programme did the season stats page as long as I remembered. (haven't bought a programme in years). And it's in line with the way people speak.

I've never heard any Hibs fan say "we had two brilliant 0-3 wins Vs Rangers at Ibrox in 2005/06 but had to settle for a 2-1 win at Easter Road in the fixture in-between" Just sounds ridiculous.

Reversing the score line (in this context) whether the match was home or away is counter productive and unnecessary, it means the reader has to then check something else (H/A) to understand score fully.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2020, 07:32 AM
The convention of home score first and away second is what I'd expect when results are being reported in a "neutral" place, i.e. newspapers, BBC, when both teams names are given. (Universal everywhere except North America)

However when results are being given from one teams perspective (i.e. Hibs match programme, or the Hibs website) you'd expect that teams score to be given first regardless of whether it was home or away. That's the way the programme did the season stats page as long as I remembered. (haven't bought a programme in years). And it's in line with the way people speak.

I've never heard any Hibs fan say "we had two brilliant 0-3 wins Vs Rangers at Ibrox in 2005/06 but had to settle for a 2-1 win at Easter Road in the fixture in-between" Just sounds ridiculous.

Reversing the score line (in this context) whether the match was home or away is counter productive and unnecessary, it means the reader has to then check something else (H/A) to understand score fully.

You’ve just tried to describe a problem that doesn’t actually exist, sorry not being awkward but I just don’t see it, maybe I am just used to it. I’ll bow out now.

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 07:34 AM

I don't doubt for a second that you believe you are right, nor that your intentions are good, however going on the fact you don't see the format as being, at best messy and at worst misleading - would mean I wouldn't trust you with compiling stats in my work :aok:

To be clear the issue isn't that the home team score is recorded first - which seems to be your point (please correct me if I'm wrong). The issue is with the format when using this system. If you are to present results, like the Hibs website are doing, they need to add in WIN, LOST or DRAW as below otherwise the stats are open to interpretation.

Current format

Rangers N 2:3 ----> with no knowledge of this fixture you would read that as a 3-2 defeat (if reading on a Hibs website). The key is to assume the reader has no prior knowledge of the stats being presented and also that your stats are crystal clear and not open to interpretation.

Rangers N 2:3 WIN --> this is the easiest fix I would suggest

Rangers 2 Hibernian 3 N ---> also works and to my eye this is more pleasing.

Actually this is another thing that grates me...oh dear :faf:

RANGERS 2 HIBS 3

RANGERS 2 HIBERNIAN 3

It looks so much better when they (whoever they are) use our full name. Hibernian is a beauty of a club name and I much prefer when used.
:cb

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 07:35 AM

:top marks

Sir David Gray
18-09-2020, 07:51 AM
I don't doubt for a second that you believe you are right, nor that your intentions are good, however going on the fact you don't see the format as being, at best messy and at worst misleading - would mean I wouldn't trust you with compiling stats in my work :aok:

To be clear the issue isn't that the home team score is recorded first - which seems to be your point (please correct me if I'm wrong). The issue is with the format when using this system. If you are to present results, like the Hibs website are doing, they need to add in WIN, LOST or DRAW as below otherwise the stats are open to interpretation.

Current format

Rangers N 2:3 ----> with no knowledge of this fixture you would read that as a 3-2 defeat (if reading on a Hibs website). The key is to assume the reader has no prior knowledge of the stats being presented and also that your stats are crystal clear and not open to interpretation.

Rangers N 2:3 WIN --> this is the easiest fix I would suggest

Rangers 2 Hibernian 3 N ---> also works and to my eye this is more pleasing.

Actually this is another thing that grates me...oh dear :faf:

RANGERS 2 HIBS 3

RANGERS 2 HIBERNIAN 3

It looks so much better when they (whoever they are) use our full name. Hibernian is a beauty of a club name and I much prefer when used.
:cb

I agree with you about games played at a neutral venue, writing - Rangers N 2-3 without any other information isn't helpful unless you already know the score.

Writing - Livingston A 1-4 is fine and I think anyone reading that would know that the away team won 4-1 (rather than it automatically being a 4-1 defeat for Hibs) and because "A" indicates Hibs were the away team, it's clear that Hibs won 4-1.

sleeping giant
18-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Drinking has increased quite a lot during Lockdown...

Why be an erse ?

Hiber-nation
18-09-2020, 08:02 AM
The OP is spot on. It's a fairly trivial point I suppose but he is correct and it is annoying.

Reminds me of the days when the official site was an absolute joke and I decided to point out on here that they had actually mis-spelt "Hibernian" on their front page headline. Only to get slaughtered of course.

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 08:03 AM
I agree with you about games played at a neutral venue, writing - Rangers N 2-3 without any other information isn't helpful unless you already know the score.

Writing - Livingston A 1-4 is fine and I think anyone reading that would know that the away team won 4-1 (rather than it automatically being a 4-1 defeat for Hibs) and because "A" indicates Hibs were the away team, it's clear that Hibs won 4-1.

However using this format doesn't give you an option to correct the fixture at a neutral venue. Hence if they simply add WIN, LOST, DRAW it's all good (if not pleasing on the eye).

Keith_M
18-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Why be an erse ?

My comment was around the discussion as a whole, plus I didn't think anybody would take it seriously.

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 08:13 AM
My comment was around the discussion as a whole, plus I didn't think anybody would take it seriously.

My intentions aren't to upset or annoy anyone - nor have I said it's serious it's more that it grates when I see an official stats page looking so amateurish. Maybe I should offer to compile the Hibernian stats page going forward... :wink:

Unseen work
18-09-2020, 08:44 AM
You don’t need to already know the scores.

The home (H) and away (A) makes it very obvious if hibs won or loss and like most have said is how scores are written in football.

Keith_M
18-09-2020, 08:53 AM
My intentions aren't to upset or annoy anyone - nor have I said it's serious it's more that it grates when I see a messy stats page looking so amateurish. Maybe I should offer to compile the Hibernian stats page going forward... :wink:

Sounds fair enough.

:greengrin

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 09:10 AM
You don’t need to already know the scores.

The home (H) and away (A) makes it very obvious if hibs won or loss and like most have said is how scores are written in football.

As per previous posts I agree it "works" for fixtures that have been played Home or Away, but is not pleasing on the eye, however it does not work for fixtures that are not played home or away. It's certainly not a universal system or how scores are written in football.

Hibernian fixture
Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
Livingston (A) 4-1
Dundee Utd (A) 1-0
St Johnstone (A) 1-0
Aberdeen (H) 0-1
St Mirren (A) 3-0
Hearts (N) 2-0 :aok:
etc.

The above is how scores should be written on the a clubs website - where the first score is the focus team. You can quickly read down a long list of results and get an understanding of the scores. The below not so clear but you do get there when you check the match location and use another website to work out the neutral score :greengrin

Hibernian fixture
Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
Livingston (A) 1-4
Dundee Utd (A) 0-1
St Johnstone (A) 0-1
Aberdeen (H) 0-1
St Mirren (A) 0-3
Hearts (N) 0-2

Anyway I think I've made my point and hey it's not a big thing just grates people like me who are anal about stats :aok:

Halmyre Hibee
18-09-2020, 09:46 AM
https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_season.php?from=150&competition=0&update=Update

That's the way I like it.

Juniper Greens
18-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Apart from in America obviously

Feed McGraw
18-09-2020, 12:11 PM
As per previous posts I agree it "works" for fixtures that have been played Home or Away, but is not pleasing on the eye, however it does not work for fixtures that are not played home or away. It's certainly not a universal system or how scores are written in football.

Hibernian fixture
Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
Livingston (A) 4-1
Dundee Utd (A) 1-0
St Johnstone (A) 1-0
Aberdeen (H) 0-1
St Mirren (A) 3-0
Hearts (N) 2-0 :aok:
etc.

The above is how scores should be written on the a clubs website - where the first score is the focus team. You can quickly read down a long list of results and get an understanding of the scores. The below not so clear but you do get there when you check the match location and use another website to work out the neutral score :greengrin

Hibernian fixture
Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
Livingston (A) 1-4
Dundee Utd (A) 0-1
St Johnstone (A) 0-1
Aberdeen (H) 0-1
St Mirren (A) 0-3
Hearts (N) 0-2

Anyway I think I've made my point and hey it's not a big thing just grates people like me who are anal about stats :aok: Your point is a brilliant one and I can`t believe more people don`t see it that way. I Don`t think that`s the way it`s always been, not on a single list like that when it just lists who Hibs have played rather than have Hibs or Hibernian after each opponent`s name ( even though we know it`s Hibs official site). I randomly checked another team`s site ( St. Johnstone) - they too have a single list but give Saints score first whether home or away as IMO it should be. Checked one other ( Dundee Utd) - they don`t have a single list but mention both teams in the result so not comparable. I think any neutrals looking in would think Hibs had lost most of their games this season. It is very uneasy on the eye as you say and top marks to greenlad as well as his reply pretty much summed it all up.

Victor
18-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Apart from in America obviously

Yes. Not sure if it applies to “soccer” matches, but in football and baseball, the away team is always first i.e Yankees at Chicago. Therefore, possibly “universal” only in Europe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacomo
18-09-2020, 03:03 PM

Even at a neutral venue, the two teams are designated home and away no?

RoxburghHibs
18-09-2020, 03:13 PM

In the sense that they get home and away dressing rooms - yes. But it's listed as neutral in the fixtures so doesn't work in that sense.

Sir David Gray
18-09-2020, 04:23 PM

They do but if you don't know which one is which, writing "Rangers N 2-3" doesn't really help you.

Maybe a "Get it right up ye Andy Halliday" at the end might help to provide some clarity.

ancient hibee
18-09-2020, 06:04 PM
I wasted a little time and did some research and found that some of the posters on this thread when posting a perpendicular team line always put the left side of the team first e.g a back four of Stevenson
Hanlon
Porteous
Gray
Some folk are just caw handed I guess.

BoomtownHibees
18-09-2020, 06:59 PM
I wasted a little time and did some research and found that some of the posters on this thread when posting a perpendicular team line always put the left side of the team first e.g a back four of Stevenson
Hanlon
Porteous
Gray
Some folk are just caw handed I guess.

Folk that do that should be banned

H18 SFR
18-09-2020, 07:19 PM
I’m strongly against H, A and N. I think they should be h, a and n.

Eyrie
18-09-2020, 09:53 PM
I'm strongly against W, D and L. I think it should be W, W and W.

Irish_Steve
18-09-2020, 10:01 PM
It's a Hibs website, why do they include the other teams score - sort it, Petrie.........

worcesterhibby
23-09-2020, 04:55 AM
Just put the Hibs score in Bold every time and it’s sorted.