PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: STEPHEN McGINN COMPLETES MOVE

Pages : [1] 2

RSS Bot
16-09-2020, 03:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10744)

500miles
16-09-2020, 03:02 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10744)

I really rated him a couple of years ago. Don't know if he's still got it, but a 31 year old holding mid usually has a couple of years in his legs.

Brightside
16-09-2020, 03:02 PM
A bit of cover.

calumhibee1
16-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Could be a good signing. He was very good against us in the game where St Mirren stayed up in the Championship (I think it was that game anyway). He’ll be back up to Gogic I’d imagine.

Billy Whizz
I’m happy with this
Only left St Mirren due to injury, and was their captain last season

04Sauzee
Ross rates him, gives us cover, probably very low wages. No. Inside info but can reckon Halberg will be moved on

bigwheel
Family deal :). Welcome Stephen..and good luck !

Northernhibee
16-09-2020, 03:05 PM
We’ve completed the set!

EdinMike
16-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Is there a cousin McGinn that’s next ?! Should be a good addition when called upon.

AgentDaleCooper
16-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Come home SJM!!!!

Billy Whizz
https://youtu.be/lknYZLLsJBs

S4uzee
This must be a joke

Unseen work
Can’t say im overly happy with this but willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Hes been training with us since we started back up but it’s took us until now to sign him on a 1 year deal? Seems very like we’ve not got who we’ve wanted and this is the back ups back up.

Its not like he was an unknown quantity either and wanted to assess how good he is, he’s been in the league for years and Ross has even managed him.

I imagine he will only ever be used as backup for Gogic however.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 03:08 PM
This must be a joke

Your post is

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Cant say I'm happy with this. More wages that could go towards real quality. Whittaker is easily a better player than McGinn IMO. So is Slivka. Strange to release both and sign him.

Hopefully he does well. Will have full support from me.

AugustaHibs
16-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Mcrorie to mcginn....

S4uzee
16-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Your post is

Get rid of Slivka/Whittaker and bring in Stephen McGinn, ok then

JohnM1875
16-09-2020, 03:12 PM
Hopefully he has as much to offer as his other brothers.

I'm not going to make the same mistake and write off a McGinn before he's had a chance to show what he can offer us! Paul has made me look a right mug, and gladly so!

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Feel Absoloutely rotten saying this, as he's a Mcginn. But He's been training with us for about 3 months. And only just been offered a deal now. Says it all. No one else wants him, jack ross doesn't want to see his pal go without a wage. So he makes a role up for him. We've already got Gray and Mcgregor for 'experience and leadership' off the park. This isn't a retirement home. We miss out on Mccrorie and they hit us with this? Away hibs. It's a regular starter we need. If he's on peanuts and it's just a bit of cover fine. But we need a midfielder that's going to walk into the starting line up and drive us on.

tamig
This must be a joke

How come?

B.H.F.C
I thought this would happen.

I really hope this isn’t the final midfielder we sign.

davhibby
He’s been helping out with the coaching side of things, watching the games from the stand whilst sending info down to the dugout. I’d imagine that’s what he’s here for but he also gives us an extra body in the midfield if needed

The Spaceman
16-09-2020, 03:14 PM
If he is even 75% the player Paul McGinn is/50% the player John McGinn is this is a good signing :greengrin

In all seriousness, happy with this. Won't be expensive, good experience and has apparently been very useful for tactical use from the stands in recent games. Very low risk signing.

tamig
16-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Feel Absoloutely rotten saying this, as he's a Mcginn. But He's been training with us for about 3 months. And only just been offered a deal now. Says it all. No one else wants him, jack ross doesn't want to see his pal go without a wage. So he makes a role up for him. We've already got Gray and Mcgregor for 'experience and leadership' off the park. This isn't a retirement home. We miss out on Mccrorie and they hit us with this? Away hibs. It's a regular starter we need. If he's on peanuts and it's just a bit of cover fine. But we need a midfielder that's going to walk into the starting line up and drive us on.
I suspect he’s not the McCrorie replacement.

Vault Boy
We've got McGinns, the super McGinns. 💚

04Sauzee
Get rid of Slivka/Whittaker and bring in Stephen McGinn, ok then

Probably for a fraction of the cost
Slivka said he was offered a new contract but turned it down
Whittaker might get more game time with Dunfermline than he would here. Don't see the problem myself

JammyDoidger
He’s been helping out with the coaching side of things, watching the games from the stand whilst sending info down to the dugout. I’d imagine that’s what he’s here for but he also gives us an extra body in the midfield if needed

Why can't Gray or Mcgregor do that? I thought that was part of the reason for the 4 year deal.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Agreed.

People really should not be comparing this with Paul Mcginn, this is totally different.

The Spaceman
16-09-2020, 03:16 PM

We are 2nd in the league in the middle of the biggest financial crisis to ever hit the game. Cool your jets. Hibs have given Ross good backing in the current climate yet a few posters are really upset we have missed out on one or two signings to cash-rich Aberdeen. From a level-headed perspective, Hibs have done really well this window so far. This is a low-risk and low-cost signing.

Sheffhibee
16-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Clever signing from JR, great cover for Gogic and obviously another leader on and off the field. Welcome to Hibs Stephen :flag::flag:

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 03:19 PM
We are 2nd in the league in the middle of the biggest financial crisis to ever hit the game. Cool your jets. Hibs have given Ross good backing in the current climate yet a few posters are really upset we have missed out on one or two signings to cash-rich Aberdeen. From a level-headed perspective, Hibs have done really well this window so far. This is a low-risk and low-cost signing.

Totally get that, but why has it taken this amount of time for Mcginn to get signed up? We are struggling to get someone, and he's struggling to find a club.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Clever signing from JR, great cover for Gogic and obviously another leader on and off the field. Welcome to Hibs Stephen :flag::flag:

Firstly, he is nothing like Gogic as a player. At all.

Second, why is he a leader? Because he captained a gash St Mirren side? Gray, McGregor, Hanlon. Those guys are leaders and cup winners.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Cash rich Aberdeen?

They aren’t paying a fee for McCrorie until next year. Their other big summer signing, Hayes, has deferred his wage for a year.

Unseen work
16-09-2020, 03:22 PM

Yes we are but over the next week or so I’d expect us to slip down to 4th which is still good

Your financial argument/rationale for signing McGinn is a bit out the window when we were close to getting McCrorie who would have cost a decent fee and much higher wages.

Maybe low risk and low cost but that money could have been the difference in getting a better player in

J-C
Cant say I'm happy with this. More wages that could go towards real quality. Whittaker is easily a better player than McGinn IMO. So is Slivka. Strange to release both and sign him.

Slivka was not released, he rejected the new contract we offered, don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

davhibby
Totally get that, but why has it taken this amount of time for Mcginn to get signed up? We are struggling to get someone, and he's struggling to find a club.

Or maybe it’s just taken a while for both sides to negotiate an acceptable deal?

Vault Boy
16-09-2020, 03:25 PM
The way he talks in his interview makes it seem like he's very much being considered as backup.

Good signing for that role. Clearly this signing isn't the alternative to McCrorie or any other first-pick midfielder. Calm down.

Oscar T Grouch
16-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Because he was working for us for free during a pandemic which has decimated every budget in the league. Do you know that he never had offers to go elsewhere? Nah thought not. This is a good signing for Hibs, he is a good pro and a good player. I fail to see why people look for negatives every time we sign someone smfh

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Or maybe it’s just taken a while for both sides to negotiate an acceptable deal?

Not having that. Signings like this is what holds back our younger players aswell. Much rather play a youngster for the odd game Mcginn will play. Pointless signing for me. Just keep every penny and throw it at a starter!

04Sauzee
16-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Second, why is he a leader? Because he captained a gash St Mirren side? Gray, McGregor, Hanlon. Those guys are leaders and cup winners.
Only cup winners can be leaders?
Pretty sure St Mirren fans talk about him being a big factor in him staying up.
Paul played in gash St Mirren team but seems to be doing OK
John was relegated with St Mirren i think?

Aldo
16-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Boys written off already! Wouldn’t expect anything less from .net!

Been with us a while so maybe been proving his fitness?

Similar comments about Paul too iirc when he signed.

I wouldn’t expect him to be the MF player replacing McCrorie but cover and a bit of experience both on and off the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Because he was working for us for free during a pandemic which has decimated every budget in the league. Do you know that he never had offers to go elsewhere? Nah thought not. This is a good signing for Hibs, he is a good pro and a good player. I fail to see why people look for negatives every time we sign someone smfh

No negatives about Nisbet or Gogic? There's negatives pointed out, because they are there for all to see. Doesn't mean I won't support him if he pulls on the jersey. But not for me this one.

04Sauzee
16-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Not having that. Signings like this is what holds back our younger players aswell. Much rather play a youngster for the odd game Mcginn will play. Pointless signing for me. Just keep every penny and throw it at a starter!
Youngsters not being good enough is what mostly holds youngsters back

Mon Dieu4
16-09-2020, 03:28 PM

He was injured for a long spell last year, maybe both parties were seeing how he held up before making it official, folk really need to calm down, it bacially states in Hibs statement that he's only here for cover until the end of the season, I'm sure they are we on the hunt for other players some people would be more happy with

Smartie
16-09-2020, 03:29 PM
When we played without Gogic a few weeks ago we looked lost and many of us have been criticising Hibs for not having a strong enough first choice midfield, let alone cover.

I'd be disappointed if McGinn has been signed to solve all our midfield woes, but I'm very happy indeed to have him on board. He's not going to start every week and be our best player but he'll mean that we aren't petrified every time Gogic goes down with a knock, or picks up a few cards and misses games via suspension.

I take his length of time with us as a positive - he's been there long enough and hasn't looked like he wasn't good enough. He's had a chance to get fit, get up to speed and see how he looks with the rest of the players. Ross has looked so far to be pretty good with the transfers and this is another player he knows well, so I'm happy to trust him on this one.

Paul McGinn has been an unsung hero who is now starting to get the appropriate level of praise that his play merits. If he can do anything like that (and his credentials as a player suggest he should be more than capable) then this could be a great signing.

JohnM1875
16-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Do players just stop being able to play once they reach 31 or 32? The way some folk chat on here you'd think so anyway. Christ, give the guy a chance to show what he's capable of.

Diclonius
Fair enough. Welcome Stephen!

swin1875

Couldn’t agree more with your post absolutely spot on 👍🏻

Ozyhibby
16-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Slivka and Whittaker were decent on the ball when given plenty time but were absolutely useless when the other team had the ball. Don’t know much about mcginn but hopefully he’s a bit more robust in midfield than Newall.

brog
16-09-2020, 03:31 PM
I believe we signed him so that those posters, largely missing since Saturday, could return to this board! Seriously, it's a cheap, short term contract to bring in a popular, experienced guy as back up. Whats not to like? I doubt it will have any impact on our overall signing strategy.
PS, it now looks like history is being rewritten & the signing of Whitty was met with universal acclaim!!

Vault Boy
16-09-2020, 03:32 PM
I can't imagine why anybody would get upset at us signing a proven Premiership quality player, with an excellent family history at the club, as inexpensive backup.

Stephen brings experience, leadership, value to HTC and he can certainly play a bit too. This signing makes perfect sense for both parties.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Only cup winners can be leaders?
Pretty sure St Mirren fans talk about him being a big factor in him staying up.
Paul played in gash St Mirren team but seems to be doing OK
John was relegated with St Mirren i think?

Right but he's shown nothing to suggest he is the level of Paul McGinn never mind John. Paul actually played and was wanted by that St Mirren side.

Slivka was not released, he rejected the new contract we offered, don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

It doesn't matter really, does it. 2 guys left for nothing, both of whom are better than Stephen McGinn IMO.

I just really don't understand this signing. If his name wasn't McGinn and he didn't have a decent game against us about 4 years ago, plenty others would be unhappy as well. Bizarre signing when the money could be going to a real quality player in an area we desperately need one.

hibeerealist
16-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Slivka 😂, nah sorry can’t agree with that mate!

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Boys written off already! Wouldn’t expect anything less from .net!

Been with us a while so maybe been proving his fitness?

Similar comments about Paul too iirc when he signed.

I wouldn’t expect him to be the MF player replacing McCrorie but cover and a bit of experience both on and off the pitch.

Paul McGinn came in as a starter from another side, one of their better players by all accounts, when we desperately needed someone in that position due to injury. This is not the same at all.

Absolutely no one has written him off either.

Callum_62
16-09-2020, 03:35 PM
This board is like Coldplay in forum form.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
16-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Mcrorie to mcginn....

We will sign another midfielder. JR confirms he’s looking for further investment in the team and a few more will be leaving too. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

hibeerealist
16-09-2020, 03:36 PM
I believe we signed him so that those posters, largely missing since Saturday, could return to this board! Seriously, it's a cheap, short term contract to bring in a popular, experienced guy as back up. Whats not to like? I doubt it will have any impact on our overall signing strategy.
PS, it now looks like history is being rewritten & the signing of Whitty was met with universal acclaim!!

Agree Brog

Sir David Gray
16-09-2020, 03:36 PM
When's Niall signing? :greengrin

jeffers
16-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Happy with this signing, I was also happy at the time when we signed Paul. I respect the right of posters to voice an opinion, but let’s see how he does in a Hibs jersey before slating him.

Andy74
16-09-2020, 03:37 PM

Yep.

Aldo
16-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Paul McGinn came in as a starter from another side, one of their better players by all accounts, when we desperately needed someone in that position due to injury. This is not the same at all.

Absolutely no one has written him off either.

They have Jammy Doidge and a number of other negative comments. Stephen McGinn has played at a decent level down south.

He will come in and do a job when asked.

My observation/perception.

Inconsequential
16-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Your post is Well said Billy!

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 03:40 PM

MacGruber
Mcrorie to mcginn....

Every disco Disco

J-C
Right but he's shown nothing to suggest he is the level of Paul McGinn never mind John. Paul actually played and was wanted by that St Mirren side.

It doesn't matter really, does it. 2 guys left for nothing, both of whom are better than Stephen McGinn IMO.

I just really don't understand this signing. If his name wasn't McGinn and he didn't have a decent game against us about 4 years ago, plenty others would be unhappy as well. Bizarre signing when the money could be going to a real quality player in an area we desperately need one.

You're easily confused eh?

He's helped out for nothing since we started back, good seasoned pro with experience who'll be on very little in the grand scheme of things.hell still help put Ross and cover if needed and unless you're privy to the money Hibs have, how do you know what is available money wise for players, the pish some folk come out with.

Billy Whizz

Can I ask you, do you trust Jack Ross and his signings so far

MacGruber
Good move, we can put the hotel up now

GordonHFC
16-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Some folk on here don't half talk a load of pish !!!!

500miles
16-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Young players shouldn't be playing odd games. They're better playing every week on loan.

Lago
16-09-2020, 03:42 PM
I'm always amazed how bitter some Hibs fans can come across if some aspect of Hibs business doesn't meet their approval. :confused:

inglisavhibs
16-09-2020, 03:44 PM
You some sort of expert on players? Doubt very much if you know anything about him but it doesn’t stop you stirring s—-. Why don’t you leave signings in the capable hands of the manager and stick to supporting the club.

Billy Whizz
I'm always amazed how bitter some Hibs fans can come across if some aspect of Hibs business doesn't meet their approval. :confused:

It’s the same old posters though
They’d be better off posting on kickback, as I don’t think there real Hibs supporters, the way they continually knock everything we do

HibbyAndy
Welcome stephen :aok:

Decent cover and probably not on a lot

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Some folk on here don't half talk a load of pish !!!!

Very true....Fortunately, they have no say in our signing policy [emoji2][emoji106][emoji106]

jeffers
16-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Ross is giving game time to our youngsters, if they are good enough like Doig, he plays them. Maybe the rest of them just aren’t good enough. I’m struggling to think of anyone other than Scott Martin who has left us recently and gone on to do well for another club.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:46 PM
You're easily confused eh?

He's helped out for nothing since we started back, good seasoned pro with experience who'll be on very little in the grand scheme of things.hell still help put Ross and cover if needed and unless you're privy to the money Hibs have, how do you know what is available money wise for players, the pish some folk come out with.

Don't make it personal with your usual daft comments mate.

You keep saying he is on bla bla money. I bet he is on more than we missed out on McCrorie on.

Cover? For what? He is nothing like Gogic.

Seasoned pro? Millions of them around.

blaikie
Can we call him Ringo!

Pilrig_Sauzee
Under circumstances I’m happy about this. Maybe coincidence but as a team we are looking more solid and consistent with a core of Scottish players the managers knows and trusts. We won’t be doing a Hearts and have on film star wages for 5 years. Suspect it suited both parties, although each may have had a different plan A.

Right I’m off to change my last name to see if i can get mysef signed as well.

Stuart93
16-09-2020, 03:47 PM
I can't imagine why anybody would get upset at us signing a proven Premiership quality player, with an excellent family history at the club, as inexpensive backup.

Stephen brings experience, leadership, value to HTC and he can certainly play a bit too. This signing makes perfect sense for both parties.

When you see the posters who’re reacting in the way you are does it really surprise you?

A cheap, low cost, back up squad player with vast experience.

SChibs
Can’t say im overly happy with this but willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Hes been training with us since we started back up but it’s took us until now to sign him on a 1 year deal? Seems very like we’ve not got who we’ve wanted and this is the back ups back up.

Its not like he was an unknown quantity either and wanted to assess how good he is, he’s been in the league for years and Ross has even managed him.

Or maybe we wanted to offer him a 1 year deal as cover and he waited to see if someone could offer him regular first team football?

Since452
Decent cover, played at a good level his whole career and we know he'll have a great attitude

GordonHFC
16-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Very true....Fortunately, they have no say in our signing policy [emoji2][emoji106][emoji106]

😄👍

JammyDoidger
They have Jammy Doidge and a number of other negative comments. Stephen McGinn has played at a decent level down south.

He will come in and do a job when asked.

My observation/perception.

I've not written him off as such. He was decent for St.Mirren a couple of years ago, He probably could 'do a job' but I wish we would come away from signing players that can just 'do a job' that's all. We need to sign boys to come in and fight for a place in our starting 11. You don't get any better signing boys that can 'do a job'. The Mccrorie one excited me as he's a young Scottish player with the potential of making us money, that's the signings we should be making.

Inconsequential
We are 2nd in the league in the middle of the biggest financial crisis to ever hit the game. Cool your jets. Hibs have given Ross good backing in the current climate yet a few posters are really upset we have missed out on one or two signings to cash-rich Aberdeen. From a level-headed perspective, Hibs have done really well this window so far. This is a low-risk and low-cost signing. Unfortunately Spaceman you will receive no plaudits for your level-headed approach on Hibsnet. Like his brother Paul he will be a excellent signing.

J-C
Don't make it personal with your usual daft comments mate.

You keep saying he is on bla bla money. I bet he is on more than we missed out on McCrorie on.

Cover? For what? He is nothing like Gogic.

Seasoned pro? Millions of them around.

I've seen some tripe from you but this pish takes the biscuit, do you just type and hope something coherent comes out?

Onceinawhile
16-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Genuinely know next to nothing about him. Except his surname, so will wait and see how it plays out before I go making any mental predictions.

Aldo
16-09-2020, 03:51 PM
I've not written him off as such. He was decent for St.Mirren a couple of years ago, He probably could 'do a job' but I wish we would come away from signing players that can just 'do a job' that's all. We need to sign boys to come in and fight for a place in our starting 11. You don't get any better signing boys that can 'do a job'. The Mccrorie one excited me as he's a young Scottish player with the potential of making us money, that's the signings we should be making.

However you were negative saying it was a waste of a wage. No one know the budget and I am sure JR knows shays he’s doing. McCorie would have been a very good signing but it’s not to be. He chose Aberdeen and not us. We move on and look for someone else. SM is not his replacement.

I trust JR to sign who he thinks will bring the right quality and qualities to the team.

CapitalGreen
16-09-2020, 03:52 PM
I've seen some tripe from you but this pish takes the business, do you just type and hope something coherent comes out?

“this pish takes the business” 😬

do you just type and hope something coherent comes out?

Fritz

😂 If this is your “full support” I dread to think what any less would look like!

Inconsequential
Some folk on here don't half talk a load of pish !!!! 17 years Gordon! It's taken you 17 years to realise that!!! :greengrin :wink:

Brightside
Some people are just really miserable. I hope they dont have family pets.

The Count
16-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Happy with the signing.Folk seem to forget its not all about the first 11.We need a squad to cover injuries,suspensions and Covid 19.Its a long season and i dont see McGinn as a first pick but he will be handy for cover.Dont panic i am sure a first team pick will be signed soon.

hibbyfraelibby
With the UEFA Covid rule saying you must put a team on the park even if you only have 13 players then having options to pad your squad with reasonably proven cheaply in financially challenging times makes sense. He has a good CV, he has attributes we can utilise, he's not a poor player nor is he a world beater but he's a better bet than some in the current environment. Lets see what pans out first before we slate him or the manager.

jeffers

Genuine question, but what did you think we signed his brother Paul ? I’m not saying you did but more than one poster said he wasn’t good enough if we wanted to be challenging for 3rd. I don’t believe the money we had earmarked for McCrorie has disappeared, maybe we will still sign another promising youngster with potential for making us money in the future. Like we did with Nisbet.

calumhibee1
An improvement on Whittaker and Slivka from last season imo.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:54 PM
I've seen some tripe from you but this pish takes the business, do you just type and hope something coherent comes out?Just reporting you now. Pathetic. Incapable of any kind of adult discussion.

😂 If this is your “full support” I dread to think what any less would look like!

He, along with all others gets my full support when playing for us.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2020, 03:55 PM
There always ends up being more posts about the negative posts, than there are actual negative posts, on threads like this.

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 03:56 PM
If he is even 75% the player Paul McGinn is/50% the player John McGinn is this is a good signing :greengrin

In all seriousness, happy with this. Won't be expensive, good experience and has apparently been very useful for tactical use from the stands in recent games. Very low risk signing.

Agree seems like sensible cover in the squad but no doubt won't stop drama queen style posts. Good experience in an area we are lacking. Always liked him as a player and imo will do a job when needed. Still expect to see another type of midfielder brought in.

J-C
16-09-2020, 03:56 PM
“this pish takes the business” 😬

Bloody autocorrect biscuit, haha

JXM73
16-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Stinks of we can't afford any of our targets...

That being said until he's made a **** pass after coming as a sub 5 minutes into his debut I'll give him the benefit of the doubt....

Murphy, McGinn....what next antony stokes...

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Agree seems like sensible cover in the squad but no doubt won't stop drama queen style posts. Good experience in an area we are lacking. Always liked him as a player and imo will do a job when needed. Still expect to see another type of midfielder brought in.

Why are we signing cover, though? I don't really get it. Cover is great when your first team is sorted. Ours isn't.

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Stinks of we can't afford any of our targets...

That being said until he's made a **** pass after coming as a sub 5 minutes into his debut I'll give him the benefit of the doubt....

Murphy, McGinn....what next antony stokes...

Ever thought of becoming a motivational speaker ? [emoji2]

Since452
16-09-2020, 04:01 PM
Paul McGinn was written off by some before he kicked a ball in green and white and has arguably been our most consistent player since January. Give him a chance.

Billy Whizz
St Mirren fans view on him

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50424-stephen-mcginn/

Smartie
Why are we signing cover, though? I don't really get it. Cover is great when your first team is sorted. Ours isn't.

What if adequate cover at the right price becomes available before the first team starter and you know you need both?

Vault Boy
When you see the posters who’re reacting in the way you are does it really surprise you?

In what way did I react?

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 04:02 PM
Slivka and Whittaker were decent on the ball when given plenty time but were absolutely useless when the other team had the ball. Don’t know much about mcginn but hopefully he’s a bit more robust in midfield than Newall.

From what I remember he is.

Tarrahib
16-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Your post is
Aye,I hope he is as bad a signing as his 2 brothers were!!

MWHIBBIES
What if adequate cover at the right price becomes available before the first team starter and you know you need both?

Do we need both? If we actually signed a quality player in there we could have Mallan, Newall etc as the cover.

Brightside

He's not finished. Just relax man.

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 04:05 PM

Doesn't mean you can't do both. Fully expect another midfielder in before window. To me good experienced signing who can do a job. Will be a lot more movement down south in next few weeks so still time.

Smartie
16-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Do we need both? If we actually signed a quality player in there we could have Mallan, Newall etc as the cover.

We have plenty of cover for the more attacking midfield positions.

We have very little by way of defensive or all-rounder type players.

Mallan is garbage when deeper and it has distracted a lot of folk from the fact that he’s a handy attacking player.

I felt we were 2 midfielders short - defensive or “box to box” types. I’d be disappointed if McGinn has signed to be a mainstay of the team but I’d be delighted to have solid back-up, and if he forces his way in and stay there - then who knows?

Was Gary Smith not signed on a short term contract to help out in a crisis, then couldn’t be dislodged from the team for years?

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 04:08 PM

Yep nothing to moan about since Saturday then pile in on this.

A Hi-Bee
16-09-2020, 04:08 PM
Good solid player who will do a job if and when required, we need a bigger squad as the season goes on, this is a no brainer win, win for Hibs.
I smell a few jumbos on here spreading horse****.
:greengrin

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:09 PM
He's not finished. Just relax man.

Full panic mode has set in with some on here, they dont know what cover means, wasting money etc etc.

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Full panic mode has set in with some on here, they dont know what cover means, wasting money etc etc.

Imagine if we were 2nd bottom rather than 2nd top!

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Who’s to say he will be cover, if we were to go 3 in the middle, he can play that role, with Gogic central and Newell left
Also gives us some more options/formations

Since452
16-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Good solid player who will do a job if and when required, we need a bigger squad as the season goes on, this is a no brainer win, win for Hibs.
I smell a few jumbos on here spreading horse****.
:greengrin

Absolutely. He's been training with us for a while too so will fit in seamlessly. Like you say, no brainer.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Imagine if we were 2nd bottom rather than 2nd top!

Whittaker was signed to do the same thing, only problem was his contract length given his age but he deputised fairly well when called upon.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Who’s to say he will be cover, if we were to go 3 in the middle, he can play that role, with Gogic central and Newell left

We seen how bare we were in the middle against Aberdeen, McGinn would've fitted in nicely there.

Wilson
16-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Good luck Stephen. :thumbsup:

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Whittaker was signed to do the same thing, only problem was his contract length given his age but he deputised fairly well when called upon.

Indeed, Whittaker took a lower salary, so in turn got a 3 year deal ..a decent outcome for both parties ..like this one. Ross knows this guy well, was his Captain..has played at a decent level, been around the place - feels like a no brainer. He’s not even 32 until the end of this year ..

Smartie
We seen how bare we were in the middle against Aberdeen, McGinn would've fitted in nicely there.

Absolutely.

Gogic turning an ankle the week before the Scottish Cup game with Hearts would have been panic stations before.

Obviously losing Gogic is never going to be ideal but we need to be in a position where losing one player doesn't damage us as much as Gogic missing the Aberdeen game did.

We were lost in that game. McGinn might not, by himself be able to reverse something like that altogether but he can certainly contribute.

greenlex
If he wasn’t required we wouldn’t have signed him. Welcome aboard Stephen .

Peevemor
16-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Exactly. It's been amazing how slow this place has been over the past couple of days.

He strikes me as a good solid pro who, if he has a similar attitude to his brothers, will be an excellent guy to have around the place.

Golden Bear
16-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the Hibees Stephen!

:thumbsup:

Brooster
16-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Welcome on board. Could've done with you against Aberdeen when we didn't lay a glove on their midfield.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2020, 04:20 PM

Would disagree Whittaker was signed as cover. He was straight in to the team when he signed.

He was limited by injuries, thereafter, but he was signed to play and ended up playing Most of the big games when available.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Great point J-C

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:21 PM

No one is panicing. You know its possible for people to have different opinions without deserving abuse from you?

RitchieHibs
16-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Welcome aboard Stephen.

:flag:

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Think he is predominately left sided.

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Welcome on board. Could've done with you against Aberdeen when we didn't lay a glove on their midfield.

Absolutely.

jacomo
16-09-2020, 04:25 PM

He’s been getting back to full fitness after a serious injury?

Even I know this, and I know nothing.

1875Sean
A lot of these comments remind me of them Paul McGinn signed!

JohnMcM
Welcome Stephen. Now, quietly go about your business and make some people eat their words.

RitchieHibs
No one is panicing. You know its possible for people to have different opinions without deserving abuse from you?

He's not even played ten minutes for us yet. Why not wait until you see how he does once he gets game time in the green and white.. Give the guy a chance to prove his worth before slating him. Dearie me.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Would disagree Whittaker was signed as cover. He was straight in to the team when he signed.

He was limited by injuries, thereafter, but he was signed to play and ended up playing Most of the big games when available.

Possibly not exactly cover but was on a lot lower wage than many on here thought, he was also doing his badges and working with the youth players. He was a good solid pro to have around at the time, McGinn is helping out Ross and is also going into coaching too, good deal for both parties.

JammyDoidger
16-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Genuine question, but what did you think we signed his brother Paul ? I’m not saying you did but more than one poster said he wasn’t good enough if we wanted to be challenging for 3rd. I don’t believe the money we had earmarked for McCrorie has disappeared, maybe we will still sign another promising youngster with potential for making us money in the future. Like we did with Nisbet.

Wasn't Excited by it. We had Gray, James and Naismith. It seemed a panic buy due to injury's and James been frozen out. I knew he 'would do a job' but I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been, hopefully his brother has the same impact. Time will tell. But another Quality midfielder is a must.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 04:28 PM
Think he is predominately left sided.

Sorry I thought he was a rightie
Anyway I like Newell on the right, cuts onto his left hand side

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Last sentence a bit panicky.

Look no abuse, that'll make you happy.

The Baldmans Comb
16-09-2020, 04:31 PM
You can hardly call someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 9 months and not wanted by St Mirren or anyone else including Hibs for that matter until today anything other than a strange signing.

It doesn't mean its a bad signing though as its cheap, cheerful and he has obviously fitted in with the lads and there are plenty dross games coming up where he can play in to get match fit again.

supermcginn
16-09-2020, 04:32 PM
An improvement on Whittaker and Slivka from last season imo.
Not a chance he's better than whittaker. He is a better option however than hallberg who is surely on borrowed time and offers absolutely nowt.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:32 PM
Last sentence a bit panicky.

Look no abuse, that'll make you happy.

Yes, it does make me happy when you aren't calling me names and insulting me. How unreasonable of me.

Since452
16-09-2020, 04:33 PM
You can hardly call someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 9 months and not wanted by St Mirren or anyone else including Hibs for that that matter until today anything other than a strange signing.

It doesn't mean its a bad signing though as its cheap, cheerful and he has obviously fitted in with the pads and there are plenty dross games he can play in to get match fit again.

He's been training with us since the start of pre season.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Possibly not exactly cover but was on a lot lower wage than many on here thought, he was also doing his badges and working with the youth players. He was a good solid pro to have around at the time, McGinn is helping out Ross and is also going into coaching too, good deal for both parties.

Time will tell if it’s a good deal for us I suppose (I’m not saying it won’t be).

What I find interesting is the whole ‘coaching’ aspect. We have Gray and McGregor with their long term contracts with that type of thing apparently included. Does it maybe tell us Ross wants his own guy and doesn’t see them getting in to that?

Steve20
16-09-2020, 04:34 PM
If he’s in as a backup player and we also bring in another midfielder, then fair enough. If he’s in as the alternative signing to McCrorie then it’s not the best.

We need another midfielder than can control the game, and despite some thinking otherwise, we also need another striker.

The Baldmans Comb
He's been training with us since the start of pre season.

Yes that's what I meant. He has been here for 2/3 months without being offered anything which is quite unusual but probably needing to offload someone first probably James.

Muckle surprise that the usual suspects question every single decision hibs make without an ounce of rational thought.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Yes, it does make me happy when you aren't calling me names and insulting me. How unreasonable of me.

Didn't call you names and if saying you talk tripe or pish is insulting, you need to get out more or start developing a thicker skin.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Didn't call you names and if saying you talk tripe or pish is insulting, you need to get out more or start developing a thicker skin.

Of course it is insulting, you wouldn't say so if not.

Did Tracy need a thicker skin when abuse from supporters forced her out of her job? Absolute neaderthal opinion that is. How about you just don't say those things and respond to my football related points?

MrRobot
Can’t understand why people will be annoyed at this, experienced cover and somebody who is clearly well liked at Hibs.

Just John to come home next...

Unseen work
I just find it funny that when we sign a player like Stephen McGinn and one poster posts anything slightly negative everyone is on his back making out it will be a great piece of business and even if it’s not here’s x, y and z about why he’s good to have about the place. It’s like we try to convince ourselves it’s brilliant.

He’s 32 this year, just back from an injury that required an operation and was on his way out at St Mirren from what I’ve seen their fans saying. He’s also been training with us since we returned but we only just signed him now? Even though Ross will know exactly what he’s capable of having managed him before and the club will know all about him from his time at St Mirren and Dundee.

If Aberdeen signed him how would we react?

I actually thought we would sign him in January before I heard of his injury at Ross talked very highly about him during his time at St Mirren and how important he was to the attacking style they played, but he never.

Im not saying he will be terrible, far from it. But it does seem a bit of an odd/easy option.

We could go and sign another brilliant centre mid tomorrow or before the window and then all of a sudden we look at our options and think we have a good variety should injures happen etc.

But I’m firmly in the camp if we need a strong squad, but make it stronger by signing starting 11 quality players not ones that are clearly coming in as cover.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Time will tell if it’s a good deal for us I suppose (I’m not saying it won’t be).

What I find interesting is the whole ‘coaching’ aspect. We have Gray and McGregor with their long term contracts with that type of thing apparently included. Does it maybe tell us Ross wants his own guy and doesn’t see them getting in to that?
He's been used as an extra pair of eyes in the stand, you get a better perspective there, Ross obviously trusts him.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Muckle surprise that the usual suspects question every single decision hibs make without an ounce of rational thought.

No one actually does that. Everyone has been delighted with our business so far, me included.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Of course it is insulting, you wouldn't say so if not.

Did Tracy need a thicker skin when abuse from supporters forced her out of her job? Absolute neaderthal opinion that is. How about you just don't say those things and respond to my football related points?

You never responded to my football question
Do you trust Jack Ross and his signings so far

lord bunberry
16-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Delighted to complete the holy trinity with the last available Mcginn. Welcome aboard the good ship Hibernian .

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:40 PM
You never responded to my football question
Do you trust Jack Ross and his signings so far

Trust Ross? Maybe. Against the poorer sides, yeah. Against the bigger, better ones, not yet.

His signings, generally been good. Too early to really tell, though. This isn't anything like the other signings he has made.

J-C
16-09-2020, 04:42 PM
No one actually does that. Everyone has been delighted with our business so far, me included.

Except this one though.

Lago
16-09-2020, 04:47 PM
I just find it funny that when we sign a player like Stephen McGinn and one poster posts anything slightly negative everyone is on his back making out it will be a great piece of business and even if it’s not here’s x, y and z about why he’s good to have about the place. It’s like we try to convince ourselves it’s brilliant.

He’s 32 this year, just back from an injury that required an operation and was on his way out at St Mirren from what I’ve seen their fans saying. He’s also been training with us since we returned but we only just signed him now? Even though Ross will know exactly what he’s capable of having managed him before and the club will know all about him from his time at St Mirren and Dundee.

If Aberdeen signed him how would we react?

I actually thought we would sign him in January before I heard of his injury at Ross talked very highly about him during his time at St Mirren and how important he was to the attacking style they played, but he never.

Im not saying he will be terrible, far from it. But it does seem a bit of an odd/easy option.

We could go and sign another brilliant centre mid tomorrow or before the window and then all of a sudden we look at our options and think we have a good variety should injures happen etc.

But I’m firmly in the camp if we need a strong squad, but make it stronger by signing starting 11 quality players not ones that are clearly coming in as cover.
Is he not 31?

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:47 PM
Except this one though.

Yes, something I am perfectly entitled to do. There are plenty of reasons to doubt this signing. If it was the no brainer folk are pretending it is, it would have been done months ago.

SlickShoes
16-09-2020, 04:48 PM
I’m cracking up at us signing another McGinn and also killing myself laughing at everyone here who’s seething with rage at this signing.

Someone else said it, there’s a pandemic on, this isn’t a marquee signing, it’s cover for gogic and it’s probably not costing a lot.

The Modfather
16-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Mourinho will be sacked by xmas IMO

Lago
16-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Except this one though.
When you see the clubs he's played for especially down south they are all of a good level, the guy is no mug, I just don't get the level of derision been thrown at him.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:50 PM
I’m cracking up at us signing another McGinn and also killing myself laughing at everyone here who’s seething with rage at this signing.

Someone else said it, there’s a pandemic on, this isn’t a marquee signing, it’s cover for gogic and it’s probably not costing a lot.

Absolutely no one is seething. Folk are questioning it, which is perfectly reasonable.

Beefster
16-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Is he not 31?

Yes but he’s 32 before the end of the year.

oneone73
16-09-2020, 04:51 PM

😂

Billy Whizz
Trust Ross? Maybe. Against the poorer sides, yeah. Against the bigger, better ones, not yet.

His signings, generally been good. Too early to really tell, though. This isn't anything like the other signings he has made.

Fine, thanks for your opinion

Bobby's Cinema
A decent signing in the sort of mould that can come on from the bench and add to our our new found solidity to see out games.

Welcome to Hibs - just don’t read this thread.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2020, 04:52 PM

It’s not old in football terms nowadays though

neil7908
16-09-2020, 04:53 PM
A bit sceptical about this one but I felt the same about Paul and he's been excellent.

Just hope we are still looking at another one to come in.

Lago
16-09-2020, 04:56 PM
But for accuracy he is 31 just now!

jacomo
16-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Yas! Back on track.

:wink:

Sioux
16-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Yes, something I am perfectly entitled to do. There are plenty of reasons to doubt this signing. If it was the no brainer folk are pretending it is, it would have been done months ago.

When you come out with this sh... you deserve all the so called 'abuse' that comes your way.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 04:59 PM
When you come out with this sh... you deserve all the so called 'abuse' that comes your way.

Great, thanks mate :faf:

Monts
16-09-2020, 05:00 PM
But for accuracy he is 31 just now!

Yea but he's 32 next :greengrin

jacomo
16-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Too many wannabe managers on here, all think it should be them in the dig out.

Two of the most tiresome cliches in modern football: it’s all about opinions and fans are entitled to have them.

Firstly, I’ve never seen an opinion win a game of football, and two, I’m not sure. Why are we ‘entitled’ to have an opinion about Stephen McGinn? Not one of us has seen him in training this summer.

Jack Ross thinks he was worth a contract and Jack Ross knows more about managing this Hibs team than I do, so that will do for me. Not a particularly exciting signing I grant you, but frankly some of the people on here saying they ‘don’t understand’ this signing are just embarrassing.

Did they expect Jack to phone them and explain his reasoning first??

Since452
16-09-2020, 05:07 PM
I long for the days we were taking random punts on guys like Miquel Nelom as back up not guys who the manager has been watching in training every day for a couple of months. Petrie out!

Yorkshire HFC
16-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Where's the money coming from for all these signings?

We're not likely to have any matchday income for a long time, unless Hibs know something that I don't.

chrisski33
16-09-2020, 05:22 PM
Is he not 31?

Problem its the wrong McGinn we have signed! We are waiting for Super John to re-sign!

Chip shop Joe
16-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Only seen this guy play once and that was against us at Easter Road a few years ago, he was marking John and easily had the upper hand all game.

A bit older now but looked good on the ball and plenty experience.

I for one am fairly happy with this signing and think he will surprise a few people.

weecounty hibby
16-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Absolutely right. Gets right on my nerves that ridiculous line about signings holding young players back. If they are good enough they will get a game. See Doig, Stevenson, Hanlon, Riordan, Shanley, Gullan and loads more. Even Olly Shaw, loads of opportunities, not good enough. I can't think of any youngsters that we have let go that have gone in to have a stunning career elsewhere.
Welcome Stephen, I'm sure if called upon you will not let Hibs down

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2020, 05:30 PM

We did, Gogic

Keith_M
16-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Where's the money coming from for all these signings?

We're not likely to have any matchday income for a long time, unless Hibs know something that I don't.

Jack Ross mentioned before that he's surprised when people ask this, as he now has a smaller squad than he did last season.

Re - The bit in bold: I'd imagine Hibs know a lot of things that you, and the rest of us, don't know.

hibees 7062
16-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Mum and dad lined up for the McCourt role

Yorkshire HFC
16-09-2020, 05:34 PM
Jack Ross mentioned before that he's surprised when people ask this, as he now has a smaller squad than he did last season.

Re - The bit in bold: I'd imagine Hibs know a lot of things that you, and the rest of us, don't know.

Well that's good - because they must be working to a smaller budget than last season.

And hopefully, soon clubs can get some paying customers in to games.

WeeRussell
16-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Hopefully he has as much to offer as his other brothers.

I'm not going to make the same mistake and write off a McGinn before he's had a chance to show what he can offer us! Paul has made me look a right mug, and gladly so!

Plenty are doing their best to do just that.. hopefully they are the mugs this time round.

hhibs
16-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Indeed so.

EI255
16-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Solid, good quality cover. Just what a team needs through the difficult months ahead. Especially when injuries and suspensions mount.

Welcome to the Family SM.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Eyrie
16-09-2020, 05:40 PM
An experienced professional who knows the league, is familiar with our club, isn't on a big wage, is known to our manager and offers defensive depth to our midfield which lacks an alternative to Gogic.

In the current environment that makes McGinn a good signing.

The only genuine negative is that it indicates youngsters like Stirling aren't showing enough to fill that role.

Hannah_hfc
16-09-2020, 05:41 PM

Two of the most tiresome cliches in modern football: it’s all about opinions and fans are entitled to have them.

Firstly, I’ve never seen an opinion win a game of football, and two, I’m not sure. Why are we ‘entitled’ to have an opinion about Stephen McGinn? Not one of us has seen him in training this summer.

Jack Ross thinks he was worth a contract and Jack Ross knows more about managing this Hibs team than I do, so that will do for me. Not a particularly exciting signing I grant you, but frankly some of the people on here saying they ‘don’t understand’ this signing are just embarrassing.

Good sensible post and completely agree.

Welcome to Hibs Stephen!

Saturday Boy
16-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Yea but he's 32 next :greengrin

Not only that, I reckon he’ll be 33 the following year.

I think I’m getting the hang of this 🤔

tonyrougier123
16-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Knowing the McGinn family so well by now, Stephen will bring so many attributes without having to see him kick a ball.
Application ✅
Work rate ✅
Determination ✅
Great attitude ✅
Another good piece of business by the club.
GGTTH

Since90+2
16-09-2020, 06:01 PM
I actually think it's a pretty decent signing. Can see him being used when we are trying to see games out.

hibee-boys
16-09-2020, 06:04 PM
No doubt the same people writing off Stephen are the one's who turned their nose up at Jack Ross bringing Paul here, and he's one of the first names on the team sheet now. Thankfully Jack Ross is a better judge of footballer than most of the 'supporters' on here.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 06:04 PM
We did, Gogic

Of course, but we were chasing Mccrorie after that, suggesting we want another quality player.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Happy with this.

Franck Stanton
16-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Doesn't matter what you or I think of him signing, Jack Ross rates him & that's good enough for me.
Let's give him a chance before we write him off shall we.

Saint Hibee
16-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Well, I’m going to apparently embarrass myself here by adding my name to those who really don’t understand the point of this signing. And please don’t say “we should just trust Jack Ross”. If we have to just blindly accept any manager’s decision, then what’s the point of a fan’s forum?

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 06:07 PM
No doubt the same people writing off Stephen are the one's who turned their nose up at Jack Ross bringing Paul here, and he's one of the first names on the team sheet now. Thankfully Jack Ross is a better judge of footballer than most of the 'supporters' on here.

Questioning a signing doesn't make you any less of a supporter at all. Paul McGinn is totally different. He was playing every week and playing well. He is younger as well and hasn't had a recent serious injury. He has come in and taken that spot. Do you genuinely think Stephen Mcginn is gonna make that central midfield spot his own?

Only reason Paul is being mentioned is the surname. Totally different signing.

jgl07
16-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Not only that, I reckon he’ll be 33 the following year.

I think I’m getting the hang of this 🤔

Phew, for one moment I thought you were going to say that he would be 34 the year after that.

Wilson
16-09-2020, 06:26 PM

Heckingbottom knows more about managing a hibs team than you do. So does Terry Butcher. Did you have any opinions at those times?

We all have opinions on many things all the time. I'm not a doctor but I'd still have an opinion on a doctors medical advice.

We all put a lot of time and money into following hibs and will have thoughts on our situation regardless of our qualifications. Trying to belittle fans or discount their opinion because we're not Jack Ross is more tedious than reading an opinion I disagree with.

scotia44
16-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Knowing the McGinn family so well by now, Stephen will bring so many attributes without having to see him kick a ball.
Application ✅
Work rate ✅
Determination ✅
Great attitude ✅
Another good piece of business by the club.
GGTTH

Absolutely spot on!
An amazing achievement also as a family to have 3 sons make it in the pro game.

Since452
16-09-2020, 06:27 PM
31 years old, 350 odd games, fully fit, Ross's ex captain, been training with the players for a couple of months. Deal to the end of the season on probably a low wage. What's there to complain about?

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2020, 06:29 PM
31 years old, 350 odd games, fully fit, Ross's ex captain, been training with the players for a couple of months. Deal to the end of the season on probably a low wage. What's there to complain about?

Exactly, he might have more of an impact on games than Scott Allan has had.

Inconsequential
16-09-2020, 06:29 PM
But for accuracy he is 31 just now! No! He is in actual fact in his 32nd year at the moment.. Think about it! Not that it really matters....:greengrin :agree:

Just Alf
16-09-2020, 06:30 PM
31 years old, 350 odd games, fully fit, Ross's ex captain, been training with the players for a couple of months. Deal to the end of the season on probably a low wage. What's there to complain about?This

(And posts like I've just done I'm SURE I've posted about on the 'Peeve' thread... sigh.. )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Since452
16-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Exactly, he might have more of an impact on games than Scott Allan has had.

Correct. Some of the same folk complaing about S McGinn signing were saying they wanted Omeonga back recently who was a total passenger last season. Opinions eh.

hibbydog
16-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Och, I suppose he will be decent cover, nothing more.

I’d be doing cartwheels had we signed McRorie. I’m not unhappy about signing McGinn, just a bit underwhelmed.

We spend lots of time and money on the youth academy and there are several lads in and around the squad who would represent a better investment. Guys like Stirling and Murray should be playing here and there and developing into better players who would add more to the team over time with potential sale to bigger clubs.

Must be disheartening for these guys when we sign a 31 year old.

That said, I’ll support anyone in a Hibs strip and I hope he does well.

tonyrougier123
16-09-2020, 06:43 PM

This was a good post 👍

tonyrougier123
16-09-2020, 06:45 PM
Correct. Some of the same folk complaing about S McGinn signing were saying they wanted Omeonga back recently who was a total passenger last season. Opinions eh.

However this was nonsense!😏

The Harp Awakes
16-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Good signing. Strengthens the squad and clearly a leader. We still need another quality, energetic ball winning midfielder in though.

Hibs90
16-09-2020, 06:48 PM
If he's as solid and reliable as Paul has turned out to be then it's a thumbs up for me. As far as cover/back-up goes thats pretty decent.

Hopefull the next signing is another midfielder

Andy74
16-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Good signing. Strengthens the squad and clearly a leader. We still need another quality, energetic ball winning midfielder in though.

So some say ball winning, some say box to box, some want a player that can run with the ball past people. I’m not sure we have a real consensus on what this missing midfielder actually is.

Someone that does all of those things won’t be cheap.

RitchieHibs
16-09-2020, 06:49 PM

Somebody mentioned Slivka earlier too. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Omeonga was at least a trier compared to the mostly anonymous Slivka. Guaranteed McGinn is better than both of them.

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Good objective , fact based summary ..

jeffers
16-09-2020, 06:53 PM
If it means moving on Hallberg, who has ultimately been a disappointment, a fit SM, will be an upgrade IMO.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Somebody mentioned Slivka earlier too. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Omeonga was at least a trier compared to the mostly anonymous Slivka. Guaranteed McGinn is better than both of them.

What makes you think he is better than both of them? I'd suggest he isn't at all. If he was, it wouldn't be a one year deal after 3 months of training.

The Modfather
16-09-2020, 06:54 PM
So some say ball winning, some say box to box, some want a player that can run with the ball past people. I’m not sure we have a real consensus on what this missing midfielder actually is.

We can’t afford one singular player with all those attributes, but we can afford a collective midfield that between them have those attributes. Gogic is the ball winner and one piece of a midfield unit. There’s another two positions to get that midfield blend of attributes correct you list above.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Good objective , fact based summary ..

Sure, it is fact based. Dunno if playing 350 games at 31 is anything amazing, though. McGregor has over 400 and we all know his story being a late starter and having 2 full seasons injured. Hanlon is a year younger, had a good few injury spells and has many more games. Stephen McGinns fitness could be an issue, especially as he hasn't played in many months and had a bad injury recently.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2020, 06:57 PM

Maybe Jack should run any future signings past you first before bringing them in, he probably doesn't see enough of them to make the judgement you do.

Andy74
16-09-2020, 06:58 PM
We can’t afford one singular player with all those attributes, but we can afford a collective midfield that between them have those attributes. Gogic is the ball winner and one piece of a midfield unit. There’s another two positions to get that midfield blend of attributes correct you list above.

So we need another 2 starters to add to Gogic?

The post I replied to also said we needed the ball winner - I thought that was Gogic?

RitchieHibs
16-09-2020, 06:59 PM
What makes you think he is better than both of them? I'd suggest he isn't at all. If he was, it wouldn't be a one year deal after 3 months of training.

Difference of opinion. I've seen both Slivka and Omeonga play for us already. Slivka was almost always anonymous while Omeonga ran his socks off without much end product. My opinion is that we'll see a better player in McGinn than both of the before mentioned. You've already written McGinn off before he's kicked a ball in earnest for us.

jacomo
16-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Problem its the wrong McGinn we have signed! We are waiting for Super John to re-sign!

Villa are holding him hostage, talking some nonsense about a ‘contract’.

#freeSJM

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 07:06 PM
Maybe Jack should run any future signings past you first before bringing them in, he probably doesn't see enough of them to make the judgement you do.Is blindly following him better somehow? No need for this smart arsed pish reply really. It is perfectly reasonable to have some doubts over a signing. I very rarely make any judgements on signings before they play for us but I think it is quite right to question this one. Do don't think Hecky saw loads of Josh Vela? Or Yogi saw loads of Graeme Smith?

Difference of opinion. I've seen both Slivka and Omeonga play for us already. Slivka was almost always anonymous while Omeonga ran his socks off without much end product. My opinion is that we'll see a better player in McGinn than both of the before mentioned. You've already written McGinn off before he's kicked a ball in earnest for us.

I haven't written him off at all. I'm questioning the signing, which many others have done as well. My first post in the thread said he would get my full support and he will.

Slivka wasn't always annoymous. If McGinn manages 3 winning goals against the old firm like Slivka did, I'll be delighted.

Omeonga was raw, but has a ceiling far higher than McGinn. 30 odd games in Serie A and a Belgian u21 international recently. Thats a CV I'd be after.

You wont see much end product from McGinn either, not his game at all.

The Modfather
16-09-2020, 07:10 PM
So we need another 2 starters to add to Gogic?

The post I replied to also said we needed the ball winner - I thought that was Gogic?

I can only speak for myself, but yes. Mid-long term we need two new centre mids to compliment Gogic. I don’t think any of Allan (this time round), Mallan, Newell or Hallberg have the athleticism and drive we need. They are all too static and part of the problem of why we struggle to keep the ball against the better teams.

There’s many ways to skin a cat. Some might prefer having two ball winners in the middle like Aberdeen and Killie. Others want a bit of everything e.g. ball winner, energy and midfielders getting into the opposition box, like Motherwell.

Most folk seem to generally agree that Gogic solves our defensive protection issue but is limited to a degree in attacking attributes, and our midfield is too static and lacks energy & drive of which none of the other midfield options particularly have.

Lendo
16-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Cringing reading some of the ***** being spouted on this thread.

RitchieHibs
16-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Is blindly following him better somehow? No need for this smart arsed pish reply really. It is perfectly reasonable to have some doubts over a signing. I very rarely make any judgements on signings before they play for us but I think it is quite right to question this one.

I haven't written him off at all. I'm questioning the signing, which many others have done as well. My first post in the thread said he would get my full support and he will.

Slivka wasn't always annoymous. If McGinn manages 3 winning goals against the old firm like Slivka did, I'll be delighted.

Omeonga was raw, but has a ceiling far higher than McGinn. 30 odd games in Serie A and a Belgian u21 international recently. Thats a CV I'd be after.

You wont see much end product from McGinn either, not his game at all.

My first post was welcoming Stephen aboard the club and I'll still hang fire on properly judging Stephen until I've seen him play in a green and white top. He deserves that at the very least and I'll be hoping he makes a better impact on the team than especially Slivka.

MagicSwirlingShip
16-09-2020, 07:19 PM

Remember when midfielders just done all these things.

weecounty hibby
16-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Sure, it is fact based. Dunno if playing 350 games at 31 is anything amazing, though. McGregor has over 400 and we all know his story being a late starter and having 2 full seasons injured. Hanlon is a year younger, had a good few injury spells and has many more games. Stephen McGinns fitness could be an issue, especially as he hasn't played in many months and had a bad injury recently.

Why are you so desperate for everything you post about him to be a negative? Do you see nothing in the signing that you see as acceptable? Or is it just an argument for the sake of an argument?

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Why are you so desperate for everything you post about him to be a negative? Do you see nothing in the signing that you see as acceptable? Or is it just an argument for the sake of an argument?

I just don't see ''he's played 350 games'' as some great trait in a new signing, thats all.

Crab apple
16-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Welcome Stephen.

Tully
16-09-2020, 07:28 PM
I just don't see ''he's played 350 games'' as some great trait in a new signing, thats all.

Be interesting to see who is eating humble pie after we've seen Stephen mcginn play in a hibs strip, I for one will wait to reserve judgement until he has played a few games

dp00
16-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Genuinely think we could sign Ronaldo or Messi and some hibs fans would find a negative [emoji85]

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Genuinely think we could sign Ronaldo or Messi and some hibs fans would find a negative [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah, I somehow doubt that.

Be interesting to see who is eating humble pie after we've seen Stephen mcginn play in a hibs strip, I for one will wait to reserve judgement until he has played a few games

I will be the first to admit I'm wrong, and do so happily. Will all the ones giving me pelters on here do the same?

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.

coldingham hibs
16-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Happy with this signing, I was also happy at the time when we signed Paul. I respect the right of posters to voice an opinion, but let’s see how he does in a Hibs jersey before slating him.

Couldn’t agree more. My experience of seeing Stephen McGinn is that he is a very decent player.

NC1875
16-09-2020, 07:44 PM
You’ll always get 110% from a McGinn and that’s better than a Hallberg/Slivka for me.

Give the boy a chance. He’s hardly going to be the highest paid player in the squad.

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Experienced player who knows the Scottish game and is well known by the gaffer. Ross must think he has something to offer the squad so that will do for me for now.

Bobby's Cinema
16-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I somehow doubt that.

I will be the first to admit I'm wrong, and do so happily. Will all the ones giving me pelters on here do the same?

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mould we should be going for.

Did I read that right? :dunno:

Personally think a thread welcoming a player to the club should be resevered for that and that alone. There's an Eddie Turnbull quote that comes to mind

weecounty hibby
16-09-2020, 08:39 PM

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.

Hold on, so even if he turns out to be a success it's not the kind of signing we should be making?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

JimBHibees
16-09-2020, 08:39 PM

So even if he is a good signing he isn't. :confused:

HoboHarry
16-09-2020, 08:41 PM

Probably time to lay off the sauce for the rest of today lol.......

Bobby's Cinema
16-09-2020, 08:43 PM
I don't envy our recruitment team :rotflmao::rotflmao:

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 08:44 PM
So even if he is a good signing he isn't. :confused:

No. If he's a good signing, I'll be delighted. I won't be delighted if we are regularly signing players of this type, though. Hopefully a rarity.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 08:44 PM
I don't envy our recruitment team :rotflmao::rotflmao:

This is a Ross signing 100%.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Hold on, so even if he turns out to be a success it's not the kind of signing we should be making?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

It makes perfect sense. I don't think 31 year olds on 12 month deal, that no one else seems to want are guys we should be signing. Might get the occasional success but really, it's not for me. Should be signing guys to take s spot, not fill one.

Andy74
16-09-2020, 08:51 PM
No. If he's a good signing, I'll be delighted. I won't be delighted if we are regularly signing players of this type, though. Hopefully a rarity.

Nah, that doesn’t make any sense.

We should know by now that no signing is a guaranteed success. We’ve had all sorts of results that don’t equate with what we thought when we signed them.

What is important is how they actually play and really how the overall team operates.

The only ‘type’ of signing that we should hope for are ones that improve the team.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Nah, that doesn’t make any sense.

We should know by now that no signing is a guaranteed success. We’ve had all sorts of results that don’t equate with what we thought when we signed them.

What is important is how they actually play and really how the overall team operates.

The only ‘type’ of signing that we should hope for are ones that improve the team.

Right, and since everyone is saying he is a backup, he doesn't improve the team, does he?

The type of signing we should be looking for is ones that we need, can take us forward, are wanted by others. You know, like Mccrorie, or Nisbit, or Gogic, Doidge.

I don't think this is the type we should be going after when we desperately need a quality player in that role. That's all.

Stuart93
16-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Right, and since everyone is saying he is a backup, he doesn't improve the team, does he?

The type of signing we should be looking for is ones that we need, can take us forward, are wanted by others. You know, like Mccrorie, or Nisbit, or Gogic, Doidge.

I don't think this is the type we should be going after when we desperately need a quality player in that role. That's all.

I don’t think we “went after it” really, it was more circumstantial.

Who’s to say we aren’t looking for they types of signings still? I’m sure we can look at more than one player at the same time. Not that we had to use any resources to find S Mcginn

A back up does improve the team when they’re needed. It improves the squad as a whole. A great choice and experience to bring off the bench.

Andy74
16-09-2020, 09:01 PM

You can improve the overall team or squad at least by having cover and competition.

In any case you were saying even if he did well you wouldn’t be happy with signings like that.

Signings that do well are exactly what we should be happy with.

I don’t think anyone is saying this is going to be signing of the season but the other way it is a bit odd to be unhappy about bringing in some cheap back up. There’s really no particular downside to it.