PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes

Magpie
14-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Leaving Livingston already.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/anthony-stokes-set-shock-livingston-22682765

AugustaHibs
14-09-2020, 09:52 PM
No he’s not. another poster said so.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Doesn’t like training on the artificial pitch every day.

SaulGoodman
14-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Backup striker for us? :duck:

FifeHibs
14-09-2020, 10:13 PM

I'm not sure Stokes likes training on any kind of pitch every day 🤣

dp00
14-09-2020, 10:14 PM
I suspect he has thought he could turn up at livi take a wage and just play , realised he needs to put in the work & graft and thought I’m off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14-09-2020, 10:15 PM
Legend. Can do what he wants tbqh.

matty_f
14-09-2020, 10:23 PM

This is where i stand on the issue as well. :agree:

davy67 +
14-09-2020, 10:34 PM
I'm actually surprised he's lasted this long with some sort of incident. He's always gonna be a hero though

Michael
14-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Bring him home.

heretoday
14-09-2020, 11:54 PM
Bring him home.

He could wash the face masks or fill the sanitisers or something.

ddoc
15-09-2020, 01:22 AM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/anthony-stokes-set-shock-livingston-22682765

All joking aside, it just seems to be such a waste of a talent, reminiscence of the path taken by the likes of George Best.

I suppose at 32 years of age he could be considered to be in the twilight years of his career but you feel he still has so much to offer if he would just screw the heid.

CentreLine
15-09-2020, 05:51 AM
Maybe we could take him just for Sunday. That would give Tavanere nightmares 😏

GRA
15-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Confirmed on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54134437

Leaving after three weeks! Even by his standards that is impressive :greengrin

Always a Hibs legend for that day in May.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Real idiot of a guy

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2020, 08:45 AM
He does what he wants...

He does what he wants....

Diclonius
15-09-2020, 08:47 AM
The real shame here is that despite being supremely talented he's probably blown through all his money and will end up having to continue working after he retires.

Steven79
15-09-2020, 09:11 AM
The real shame here is that despite being supremely talented he's probably blown through all his money and will end up having to continue working after he retires.

So he will have to continue working after he's 32? Hardly a shame...

kennyh
15-09-2020, 10:33 AM
Maybe a short term deal at Dundee or Pars could be sorted if he genuinely wants to stay in the game and that would give him another chance to score against Hearts and keep his legend status growing !!

Sammy7nil
15-09-2020, 10:36 AM

That is where I am I always laugh when people think it is a shame players have to work beyond age 35 😂😁.

I appreciate they may have missed out on building work skills outside of football however if they think about it they will gather so many transferable work skills.

jacomo
15-09-2020, 10:45 AM
‘I just hope they judge me on the pitch and my performances.’

Oh Anthony. Can’t be many opportunities left now.

Hibee Mac
15-09-2020, 10:50 AM
That is where I am I always laugh when people think it is a shame players have to work beyond age 35 [emoji23][emoji16].

I appreciate they may have missed out on building work skills outside of football however if they think about it they will gather so many transferable work skills.It's also not remotely a shame if they find themselves in that situation, considering that it basically means they've blown through their cash without a thought for the future. (Obviously that doesn't necessarily apply to the lower leagues...).

It's like people who blissfully go through life without even thinking about a pension then complain about it come retirement age.

heretoday
15-09-2020, 10:50 AM
That is where I am I always laugh when people think it is a shame players have to work beyond age 35 😂😁.

I appreciate they may have missed out on building work skills outside of football however if they think about it they will gather so many transferable work skills.
"Building work skills" - I can see Stokesie tramping about on a site. He'd be an asset.

Mikey
15-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Doesn’t like training.............

You could just have stopped there.

hibee316
15-09-2020, 11:32 AM
He could wash the face masks or fill the sanitisers or something.

Check the fire extinguishers? :)

Diclonius
15-09-2020, 11:37 AM

Maybe a shame is the wrong word, but my point is he wouldn't have to if he hadn't blown it. If I were a footballer even the money I'd make in 10-20 years at Hibs' level would probably last me the rest of my life if I saved and invested it from day one. He's had megabucks from Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn and probably has barely any to show from it.

superfurryhibby
15-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Give Stokesy a contract until January and see what he can do. He'll be close to fitness by now and will have the desire for one last fling, a swansong in the twilight of his career.

I'm not entirely serious about this suggestion, but it's a funny ol' game innit guv and stranger things have happened :wink:

Magpie
15-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Love him as a player but does anyone think this ‘mutual termination’ stretches further than him not enjoying Astro?

Sir David Gray
15-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Maybe a shame is the wrong word, but my point is he wouldn't have to if he hadn't blown it. If I were a footballer even the money I'd make in 10-20 years at Hibs' level would probably last me the rest of my life if I saved and invested it from day one. He's had megabucks from Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn and probably has barely any to show from it.

Absolutely.

A first team player at Hibs is probably on at least around £100-150k p/a before tax. If you get that for at least 10 years you should be able to live off it if you spend your money wisely and make sensible decisions etc.

That fact that he's spent a large chunk of his career at Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn, making many times that amount of money suggests he would need to have really messed up to blow that by the time he's in his 30s.

FilipinoHibs
15-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Absolutely.

A first team player at Hibs is probably on at least around £100-150k p/a before tax. If you get that for at least 10 years you should be able to live off it if you spend your money wisely and make sensible decisions etc.

That fact that he's spent a large chunk of his career at Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn, making many times that amount of money suggests he would need to have really messed up to blow that by the time he's in his 30s.

He lost a lot on the Elvis case.

jacomo
15-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Must have been a real shock to him to find out Livi had an artificial playing surface. How could he have known?

:wink:

JDHibs
15-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Absolutely.

Id also suggest that he didnt move to teams in Iran & Turkey for free, never mind his weekly wages, his signing on fees would have been a fair amount

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Is he skint now, i have not read about this anywhere apart from here? :confused:

Jim44
15-09-2020, 05:38 PM
He lost a lot on the Elvis case.

Yes, he was all shook up by that. :greengrin

ancient hibee
15-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Yes, he was all shook up by that. :greengrin

Don’t be cruel.

Eyrie
15-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Don’t be cruel.

Agreed. There's no need to hound dog him over it.

Just_Jimmy
15-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Agreed. There's no need to hound dog him over it.he's been returned to sender.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
15-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Legend

erin go bragh
15-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Forever a club Legend 🔥🔥 Would definitely improve our options up front

EI255
15-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Who can blame him? How many times do we need to go over this? .... Astro pitches should not be allowed anywhere near top flight football. Not in any country.

They are amateur. For amateurs.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
15-09-2020, 06:00 PM

3 years ago maybe.

Let's just be thankful for THAT performance.

BoomtownHibees
15-09-2020, 06:02 PM
Who can blame him? How many times do we need to go over this? .... Astro pitches should not be allowed anywhere near top flight football. Not in any country.

They are amateur. For amateurs.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

You would have thought he would know they had a plastic pitch when he signed though no?

jacomo
15-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Is he skint now, i have not read about this anywhere apart from here? :confused:

Seems to be nothing more than speculation from Hibs fans with very frugal lifestyles!

Although I suppose you do need to ask why Stokes keeps chasing contracts, seeing as he doesn’t actually seem too bothered about being a pro.

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2020, 06:08 PM
I love him to death and always will, but very careers end in glory and his was never destined to be one of them.

h1bs4life
15-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Agreed , disappointed he has left was hoping if / when crowds allowed in
he would get the standing ovation he deserves and a chorus of Stokesie's on fire.
Probably the best performance ever by a Hibs player at Hampden / in a cup final in fact given the circumstances probably one of the best individual performance I have seen.
Good luck in the future Tony always welcome at Easter Road if I ever see you in a boozer the drinks are on me.

Northernhibee
15-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Not a chance. Let the past be the past.

HFC93
15-09-2020, 06:30 PM
If Stokes is going to turn his career around it's now or never.

Centre Hawf
15-09-2020, 07:21 PM
He's a club legend forever, but Stokes is finished. I'm sure in 6/12 months we'll hear an interview about how him leaving Livi wasn't all his fault etc, always seems to have an excuse for himself these days when it's quite obvious he can't knuckle down and put the talent he has to use for what time he has left fitness (if he has it left).

greenlex
15-09-2020, 07:32 PM
Livingston FC and Anthony Stokes regrettably announce a mutually agreed termination of the contract between both parties.

Head of Football Operations David Martindale said:

“Stokesy has been in training for approximately 4 weeks now and it’s fair to say that we both knew that there was going to be a lot of work to be done to get Anthony into top shape to play Premiership football.

“In all honesty, it’s not quite worked out in terms of the on-field ball work and intense training schedule we had put in place. He is struggling to adapt to training 2-3 hours per day on the Astro Turf surface – we all know it doesn’t and won’t suit everyone. Of course, Anthony knew the surface we had in place but each player adapts to that differently and you can’t know how your body will feel adapting to it until you’ve been out there and played or trained on it frequently. We know it isn’t for everyone and sadly, that’s been the case for Anthony.”

“Whilst trying to get the player in shape, it’s been extremely frustrating for all of us, staff and player alike, that we can’t seem to get the intense training needed into the player.

“To be fair to Anthony, he has noticed this himself and he approached us with the option to terminate. This allows both the player and the club to explore other opportunities.

“It’s a real shame that the Livingston FC fans didn’t get to see Anthony wear the number 9 shirt for Livingston on the field. In the short spells we did get a chance to work with him, you could certainly see the quality he possesses.”

I get the feeling he can’t be arsed any more.

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2020, 07:52 PM
He should come and train with us.

Northernhibee
15-09-2020, 07:56 PM

Well past that point now.

sauzee=legend
15-09-2020, 08:00 PM
He was at Gleneagles with Tyson Fury on the drink all weekend and turned up for training absolutely steaming.
Not for the first time either, Livi had enough and they agreed to terminate the contract.
100% fact.

A Hi-Bee
15-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Anthony Stokes, perhaps a flawed genius at the game of football, what a legend and what a legacy to leave behind, don’t matter what he does in the future no one can take that from him.
Not enough characters like Stokes around in my humble opinion although he may need to watch out for the demon drink, but only he will know.

:flag::flag::flag:

jakedance
15-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Livingston Head of Football Operations, on their pitch:

“We all know it doesn’t, and won’t suit everyone”
“We know it isn’t for everyone”

So put some grass down then eh. Even Livi are saying it’s not fit for purpose. Shocking that our players are forced to play on it. These pitches give an unfair advantage to the clubs that have them.

Magpie
15-09-2020, 08:12 PM

So put some grass down then eh. Even Livi are saying it’s not fit for purpose. Shocking that our players are forced to play on it. These pitches give an unfair advantage to the clubs that have them.

Stokes could well be the first of many good players they miss out on because of it.

CMurdoch
15-09-2020, 08:24 PM
Stokes could well be the first of many good players they miss out on because of it.

Are you really buying that parting of the waves story?

jacomo
15-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Agree. They should be told it’s unacceptable in the top flight.

Sammy7nil
15-09-2020, 09:52 PM

It is never I am afraid his days are numbered like many others far too early.

McD
16-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Agreed. There's no need to hound dog him over it.

C'mon, he's hardly In The Ghetto

04Sauzee
16-09-2020, 08:11 AM

To many suspicious minds

Andy74
16-09-2020, 08:25 AM
Absolutely.

You really think people can live for the rest of their days off 10 years at £100k?

weecounty hibby
16-09-2020, 08:30 AM
You really think people can live for the rest of their days off 10 years at £100k?
No but it's a ****ing good start in life. I get so hacked off with the bull**** about football being a short career. It may be but it isn't the end of their working lives. The way that comes across is like when you stop playing football then you stop working, it's utter crap. 10 years at 100k and then on to a job that pays half of that. Yes please!! Cos by the time I have to move on I'd be mortgage free and have my self set up well.

FilipinoHibs
16-09-2020, 08:42 AM
No but it's a ****ing good start in life. I get so hacked off with the bull**** about football being a short career. It may be but it isn't the end of their working lives. The way that comes across is like when you stop playing football then you stop working, it's utter crap. 10 years at 100k and then on to a job that pays half of that. Yes please!! Cos by the time I have to move on I'd be mortgage free and have my self set up well.

Net they would be taking home £64,000. If they managed to save £20,000 a year they could put in a pension an get tax relief. But they still have to finance their life and that of their family for 30 years until retirement. So they need a a job that pays about £60,000 a year. A pretty long shot for the majority of players.

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2020, 08:57 AM
Net they would be taking home £64,000. If they managed to save £20,000 a year they could put in a pension an get tax relief. But they still have to finance their life and that of their family for 30 years until retirement. So they need a a job that pays about £60,000 a year. A pretty long shot for the majority of players.

Why do they need a job that pays £60k a year when they finish playing? They could live off much less than that if they wanted.

bigwheel
16-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Why do they need a job that pays £60k a year when they finish playing? They could live off much less than that if they wanted.

I guess they would want to Maintain their lifestyle ..not essential of course, but often desirable

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2020, 09:05 AM
I guess they would want to Maintain their lifestyle ..not essential of course, but often desirable

Exactly and when needs must they can still live a decent life on far less.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2020, 09:12 AM

It is of course very desirable and it will be difficult to take a step down however I think most of us would accept £200,000 + along with all the adulation and good things that come with that for 6-10 years in the knowledge it won’t last forever. It is a great opportunity and start. If you have to settle for a “normal” job thereafter it is not the worst thing in the world. If you are willing to work someone will always give you a chance.

Andy74
16-09-2020, 09:14 AM

I don’t think that is a very realistic view of that type of earning. If they are going to have no family, live in somewhere with virtually no mortgage and spend very little on stuff like cars then I’d still question being anywhere close to mortgage free and set up for life in 10 years.

Maybe it seems like a lot of money to some but it is pretty equivalent for example to people in professional roles or senior manager type roles in financial services. Not many folk are working 10 years then retiring or stepping down to lower roles or anything close to it.

jacomo
16-09-2020, 10:00 AM
It is of course very desirable and it will be difficult to take a step down however I think most of us would accept £200,000 + along with all the adulation and good things that come with that for 6-10 years in the knowledge it won’t last forever. It is a great opportunity and start. If you have to settle for a “normal” job thereafter it is not the worst thing in the world. If you are willing to work someone will always give you a chance.

True, but the argument above is that a player could retire in their mid 30s and live off their football earnings for the rest of their life. That seems highly unrealistic.

Capitalism has a clever and nasty trick of convincing almost every participant that they need more money - that is how it works. Footballers don’t compare themselves to the average person earning an average wage but to their peers. If your team mates wear Gucci and drive Porsches you would need a very strong resolve not to get sucked in to that lifestyle.

Alfred E Newman
16-09-2020, 11:26 AM

That is 30 years earnings for the most of us.

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2020, 11:52 AM

And hardly any of us could retire after 30 years if our earnings were around £30k.

The vast majority of us will work 40+ years and still struggle to fund our retirement.

blaird03
16-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Stokes and Best in the same sentence - get a grip !!

Beefster
16-09-2020, 04:57 PM

Most folk’s lifestyle is based on their earnings. They earn £30k pa, they have outgoings less than that (assuming they’re not in masses of debt). They earn £100k, their outgoings are normally more (better car, bigger house, fancier holidays etc etc etc).

I’m sure there are some footballers earning £100k or so who save loads or bung lots of it into pensions but I’m guessing that more will be just enjoying their better-than-average earnings.

jacomo
16-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Stokes and Best in the same sentence - get a grip !!

Depends on the context I suppose...

Yorkshire HFC
16-09-2020, 05:18 PM

Who was the better player for Hibs?

NB - it wasn't Best!

jacomo
16-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Who was the better player for Hibs?

NB - it wasn't Best!

:agree:

ddoc
17-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Exactly. My post had nothing to do with their respective talent, but the similar result of their lifestyle stifling what they brought to the game way to soon.
We should be applauding yet another great performance, not discussing his demise.

Jim44
17-09-2020, 09:02 AM
True, but the argument above is that a player could retire in their mid 30s and live off their football earnings for the rest of their life. That seems highly unrealistic.

Capitalism has a clever and nasty trick of convincing almost every participant that they need more money - that is how it works. Footballers don’t compare themselves to the average person earning an average wage but to their peers. If your team mates wear Gucci and drive Porsches you would need a very strong resolve not to get sucked in to that lifestyle.

An aside bit of trivia. I heard somebody on the radio last week going on about Jamie Vardy having had only one car in his lifetime, a Vauxhall Astra, I think and still driving it. Rubbish of course, he drives a Bentley Continental GT...... a cool £150k.

jacomo
17-09-2020, 01:59 PM
An aside bit of trivia. I heard somebody on the radio last week going on about Jamie Vardy having had only one car in his lifetime, a Vauxhall Astra, I think and still driving it. Rubbish of course, he drives a Bentley Continental GT...... a cool £150k.

Ha! Yeah it sounds like total BS. I don’t think Rebekah Vardy married him to keep chickens, tend a vegetable plot and live The Good Life.

Fuzzywuzzy
17-09-2020, 02:38 PM
Look at Logan at Aberdeen. Been training to become a spark for when his career finished, McAllister concentrated as a joiner with football as his sideline. There's more to life than tats and nandos😂😂

Since452
17-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Look at Logan at Aberdeen. Been training to become a spark for when his career finished, McAllister concentrated as a joiner with football as his sideline. There's more to life than tats and nandos😂😂

Absolute no brainer. Pro footballers are in the privileged position to be able to have the time to learn things outwith football. A run of the mill Scottish Premiership player , if they played their cards right, could finish their career in football with a very comfortable bank balance then start a new career straight away.

Lago
17-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Absolute no brainer. Pro footballers are in the privileged position to be able to have the time to learn things outwith football. A run of the mill Scottish Premiership player , if they played their cards right, could finish their career in football with a very comfortable bank balance then start a new career straight away.
Armstrong ex Celtic now Southampton completed university degree just last season

Fuzzywuzzy
17-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Did Falkirk not have a random selection of doctors and lawyers playing for them years ago?

Sammy7nil
20-09-2020, 07:42 AM
He was at Gleneagles with Tyson Fury on the drink all weekend and turned up for training absolutely steaming.
Not for the first time either, Livi had enough and they agreed to terminate the contract.
100% fact.

Heard he was helping out at an old folks home entertaining them signing Elvis songs was late for training and Livvy binned him. It might be rubbish though 😐

Gaffer1875
20-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Most folk’s lifestyle is based on their earnings. They earn £30k pa, they have outgoings less than that (assuming they’re not in masses of debt). They earn £100k, their outgoings are normally more (better car, bigger house, fancier holidays etc etc etc).

I’m sure there are some footballers earning £100k or so who save loads or bung lots of it into pensions but I’m guessing that more will be just enjoying their better-than-average earnings.

I read something a while back that suggest Andy Robertson lives of 10% of his salary and saves / invests the rest. Presuming he earns £80k a week that’s still £32k before deductions each month to live on very comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
20-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Sorry just noticed this reply.

I'm sure making around £1 million over a period of maybe 10-15 years will give you a decent start in your post-playing life.

£100,000 per year should mean that if you invest your money wisely and don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, you should have money saved away as well.

I would need to work into my 70s to make the kind of money a Hibs player would make by their 30s.

Footballers will also get a decent sized pension even from a club like Hibs.

lucky
20-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Sorry just noticed this reply.

I'm sure making around £1 million over a period of maybe 10-15 years will give you a decent start in your post-playing life.

£100,000 per year should mean that if you invest your money wisely and don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, you should have money saved away as well.

I would need to work into my 70s to make the kind of money a Hibs player would make by their 30s.

Footballers will also get a decent sized pension even from a club like Hibs.

I doubt many people on £100k a year invest wisely whatever that means. They might save a few pounds a month, put money into a ISA and pension but it’s not going sustain you for life. Whilst it might seem big money for some, it’s not, as others have said the majority just have a more expensive life style. Bigger house and car and more holidays. I doubt may footballers live their lives as hermits and save every penny to give them a better start in life after their football career ends. Like all of us, when your young you want to enjoy yourself. There are very 20 somethings that save to have a better start to their 30s.

Football pays well compared to majority of careers but I doubt the likes of Hanlon or Stevenson will have earned enough at Hibs for them to never work again when they stop playing football.