PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Fears

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-09-2020, 09:47 PM
If I'm ever anywhere really high up, I get this weird thing in my head where I think, imagine jumping off? To the point where I get quite anxious

Also, I think a lot about being on an ice rink, falling over and someone slicing off a finger with their blades which is weird because I never go Ice Skating

What's yours?

Bangkok Hibby
13-09-2020, 10:28 PM
I've got too many to list here. Your jumping thoughts are "high place phenomenon" and very common. My worst one is Cleithrophobia, a fear of being trapped.

Future17
14-09-2020, 07:12 AM
If I'm ever anywhere really high up, I get this weird thing in my head where I think, imagine jumping off? To the point where I get quite anxious

Also, I think a lot about being on an ice rink, falling over and someone slicing off a finger with their blades which is weird because I never go Ice Skating

What's yours?

I wouldn't call it a fear as it doesn't make me anxious, but I think about the ice skating scenario a lot too. It started for me when I was told a story about it happening - I was prob 8 or 9 at the time.

Apparently it's to do with control and your brain returning to scenarios it has never "solved".

Craig_HFC
14-09-2020, 07:32 AM
I don't think it's irrational but the thought of being in open water where you can't see below you etc gives me the fear.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2020, 07:33 AM
Getting trapped in a lift shaft and crushed under the lift when it came down. I think it stems form working in a warehouse yers ago and the shutter door on the service lift was faulty and didn't lock when the lift wasn't in position and guys used to stand in the shaft for 'a laugh'.

Also getting hit on the head by falling masonry. There are a few relatively well known stories off that happening in Edinburgh so that's probably where that came from.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Getting hit on the head by an object falling from above, had a couple of bad hits over the last twenty odd years, one could have easily killed me. Always wary of anything above me or working where things are stacked high.

And spiders of any size!

Jones28
14-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Traffic and being hit by vehicles. I worked on a farm for years that had a lot of tight corners and not a lot of people that drive at sensible speeds/used horns etc and I've seen so many near misses. Once a guy came firing through a doorway and had to break so hard that the seed bags he was carrying slid off the end, with the forklift very nearly following them. So 2 people could have been killed or seriously hurt by either being hit by a truck or being crushed by a ton of grain., all of which would have been prevented by slowing down and sounding off before he came through the door. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

The same farm had an older guy who'd worked there for years and had a frightening disregard for H&S. Never wore a mask when required, worked at height with no harness, left tools scattered all over the place. There was a belt at the apex of a shed which was about 30 feet from the floor that, instead of using a forklift with a man-basket, he would just climb along the belt to clean it.

Vault Boy
14-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Velvet.

Alfiembra
14-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Ever since watching the Shawshank Redemption I have this fear of getting stuck in a pipe, or potholing getting stuck somewhere nobody would ever dream of looking for you.

McD
14-09-2020, 09:48 AM
I have a strong fear of being in a space where i dont have range of movement, like when you see someone in a movie crawling along an airduct, that freaks me out, even watching someone doing it (Die Hard comes to mind for example) i can feel my chest tightening

I also struggle with heights, mainly when its open air. I can deal with flying by ignoring the obvious, and been up Sears (Willis) Tower and loved it, but I couldn't walk over the forth road bridge, I even froze trying to push myself through it by walking out onto a 6 foot dive board, I had to walk backwards until I got to the ladder again :(

On a slightly less serious note, after a childhood nightmare I can't sleep comfortably without having the duvet tucked under my feet :greengrin

pontius pilate
14-09-2020, 09:58 AM
The fear of anything going near my eyes and losing my sight, completely freaks me out

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

easty
14-09-2020, 10:10 AM
I have this weird thing, no idea what it's called or if there's a name for it, where I kind of freak out if something is stuck to me and I can't easily shake it off. Not animals or food or anything organic like that, but say for example, the plastic wrapping on boxes of teabags and stuff like that. If I'm opening it, and the static (I assume it's static) makes it stick to my hand, then I try to shake it off my hand, but it won't drop off, or if I wipe it away with the other hand, and it sticks to that hand.

There's nothing scary about it, I know it can't hurt me...but my heart starts absolutely racing!

marinello59
14-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Snakes.

CropleyWasGod
14-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Just about all of you would benefit from hypnotherapy 😀

Peanut Shaz
14-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Snakes.

Snap

stantonhibby
14-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Snap

Never found that be a particularly scary game but can get loud I suppose😁

Peevemor
14-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Never found that be a particularly scary game but can get loud I suppose😁

:top marks

bigwheel
14-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Does late opposition corners vs us count - or is that well into the “rationale” category ?

Peevemor
14-09-2020, 12:58 PM
I have fears but none that I would call irrational.

However an ex-girlfriend of mine was terrified of pigeons. Other birds, seagulls for example, didn't bother her but pigeons would send her into a blind panic.

Hibrandenburg
14-09-2020, 02:12 PM
I still dream that I'll fail an army annual fitness test, normally wake up in a panic and normally it coincides with a night on the lash. Never had any problems with them but I'd probably struggle now after being out for so many years.

Jay
14-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Oh where do I start? :rolleyes:

Clowns,Balloons,Pigeons, flying, confined spaces, especially dark ones. I have the height thing too where I think I'm gonna jump and the ice skating one with my fingers being sliced off and wooden lolly sticks make me ill for fear of splinters

I think I have a fear of getting a fright :faf:

I love spiders and snakes though. Weirdo

Logie Green
14-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Does playing hertz in the latter stages of the Scottish Cup count?

calumhibee1
14-09-2020, 08:17 PM
I regularly have the mildest of nightmares where I’m getting chased but it’s like I’m running through quick sand, even if I’m on concrete. In real life I’m actually very fast which I think makes it worse for me :greengrin

matty_f
14-09-2020, 09:35 PM
I hate sticky things, bridges (convinced they’ll collapse) and things where there’s a danger of falling off/falling in (cliffs/rivers).

EH6 Hibby
15-09-2020, 01:02 AM
Driving on fast roads in the dark. I had a very near miss almost 2 years ago where I hit something that had obviously fallen off a lorry or something while drinking at 70mph on the M90. Since then I struggle to drive at night unless it’s on well lit roads. I can do it but I’m seriously stressed the whole time and I try to avoid it where possible.

Peevemor
15-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Driving on fast roads in the dark. I had a very near miss almost 2 years ago where I hit something that had obviously fallen off a lorry or something while drinking at 70mph on the M90. Since then I struggle to drive at night unless it’s on well lit roads. I can do it but I’m seriously stressed the whole time and I try to avoid it where possible.

What do you expect?

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2020, 06:46 AM

Drinking and driving is never a good combination.

McD
15-09-2020, 07:44 AM
I'm intrigued by what some have said about being somewhere high and asking themselves 'what if I jumped?'.

My height thing is slightly different, i can't stop imagining falling off, and can become quite possessed by the thought, sometimes to the point of freezing. This is even the case when it's quite patently obvious I couldn't just 'fall off', for example if I'm 10 feet from the edge, or like the open air bit above the museum on Chambers Street, where there is a 4-5 foot high, 6 foot across plant pot thing between me and the edge.

Future17
15-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Brilliant typo! At least, I hope its a typo...:greengrin

EH6 Hibby
15-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Brilliant typo! At least, I hope its a typo...:greengrin

Ha ha, yes it was a typo. :greengrin

Sudds_1
15-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Snakes.

snap...and wasps!! I do a passing imitation of a manic wimdmill with those wee beggars. 😬😬

CmoantheHibs
15-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Ha ha, yes it was a typo. :greengrin

Took me a few reads to suss it out when I first read it.:greengrin

Off the bar
15-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Swimming outdoors. I’m always worried something will eat/attack/sting me. Took the wee man to Whitstable today to enjoy the sun and take a dip in the sea and it took a fair few minutes before I’d calmed myself that I wasn’t going to get eaten by a shark. No sense to it, but happens any time I’m swimming in nature, which isn’t very often, but every time I get the fear. My wife is not sympathetic to this.

Sudds_1
15-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Swimming outdoors. I’m always worried something will eat/attack/sting me. Took the wee man to Whitstable today to enjoy the sun and take a dip in the sea and it took a fair few minutes before I’d calmed myself that I wasn’t going to get eaten by a shark. No sense to it, but happens any time I’m swimming in nature, which isn’t very often, but every time I get the fear. My wife is not sympathetic to this.

Do you freak to the jaws theme tune? My youngest has the shark fear bigly...only have to hum that and she shrieks...
Or sing baby shark to her bairn when shes in earshot😇😇😇

Off the bar
15-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Do you freak to the jaws theme tune? My youngest has the shark fear bigly...only have to hum that and she shrieks...
Or sing baby shark to her bairn when shes in earshot😇😇😇

Outside of the water sharks don’t really bother me. In the water the slightest brush of seaweed on my leg and the fear shoots through me that I’m about to be munched down.

The baby shark song does make me shudder but that’s due to how **** annoying it is!

FifeHibs
15-09-2020, 08:46 PM
After dislocating my knee twice, i sometimes hold my knee and imagine both the noise of the dislocation and the pain when driving.🤷*♂️

Hiber-nation
15-09-2020, 09:33 PM
Lions and other big cats escaping from their enclosures at the zoo. I've never been to the zoo for years but it always used to worry me a bit!

J-C
16-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Only thing I have a fear about is going underground into small spaces, like either caves or those crawl spaces you get in older houses, too claustrophobic. One I'm not comfortable with is the open sea, hence why I'm not fussed about cruises. Heights and speed have never bothered me, I like old dark buildings, I used to do ghost hunting a few back.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2020, 03:06 PM
A fat git like myself would never consider potholing as an activity worth pursuing even Indy Jones wouldnae give me confidence that he could assist my escape! ☺