PDA

View Full Version : Laying Down a Statement of Intent

Brummie_Hibs
13-09-2020, 09:35 PM
If there was ever a game to do that, then Sunday is that game.

Not crucial, but pivotal.

Sammy7nil
13-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Rangers and Celtic are not our main rivals if there was a time for a statement it was last week and we missed our opportunity. Good bounce back result onwards and upwards.

jacomo
13-09-2020, 11:01 PM
Rangers and Celtic are not our main rivals if there was a time for a statement it was last week and we missed our opportunity. Good bounce back result onwards and upwards.

Nah. Take them down a peg or two. We all love greetin Huns.

Sammy7nil
13-09-2020, 11:03 PM
Nah. Take them down a peg or two. We all love greetin Huns.

Totally agree but our main rivals are Aberdeen not Rangers

Pagan Hibernia
14-09-2020, 02:35 AM
If we can avoid gifting them goals in the first ten minutes (like last Christmas) we can give them a proper game

Greenio
14-09-2020, 03:08 AM

I very much consider Rangers and Celtic to be our main rivals.

Aberdeen don't stop us winning trophies, the uglies do.

Agree, would LOVE to get a result against The Rangers next week, and am actually quietly confident we will perform

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2020, 03:30 AM
I very much consider Rangers and Celtic to be our main rivals.

Aberdeen don't stop us winning trophies, the uglies do.

Agree, would LOVE to get a result against The Rangers next week, and am actually quietly confident we will perform

The dons do if they beat us in. Semis (which they have done recently)

Since452
14-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Unfortunately Rangers are now on a different level again with Celtic. A draw would be a good result.

Hibby Kay-Yay
14-09-2020, 05:49 AM
No team is unbeatable.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2020, 06:00 AM
The Rangers are playing very well just now and look to be on a ‘ mission ‘ under Slippy G

Hopefully they will have a few injuries from the weekend and we can take advantage - get in their faces and get a result

Aberdeen are the same old Aberdeen under McWinless. Frustrating sucking the life out of every game using every trick in the book to get a result at all costs. Cheating bassas. Every time we play them I expect us to win but it never pans out that way

We need to be better than Aberdeen be consistent in the League and beat the Uglies any time we can

Onwards and upwards

flash
14-09-2020, 06:11 AM
Totally agree but our main rivals are Aberdeen not Rangers

Long time since we were good enough to rival Aberdeen over a season.

Oscar T Grouch
14-09-2020, 06:25 AM
Let’s stop their shutout record first then we can work on their ‘unbeaten’ run. I use ‘unbeaten’ like that because I saw a hun post on Twitter their ‘unbeaten’ run that didn’t include their games against Leverkusen but did include friendly results.

Keith_M
14-09-2020, 07:11 AM
The highest we've finished in the league in the last forty years is third, which I think we did three times.... the same number of times as we've been relegated. In fact, the last time we finished third was fifteen years ago.*

Let's be realistic here, unless Elon Musk has a bump on his head and decides to give us £500M, we're not competing with The Rangers any time soon

* Unless you count finishing third in The Championship

Hibernia&Alba
14-09-2020, 07:16 AM
It's a big ask to beat Rangers in their current form, but they aren't Bayern Munich and there's nothing to fear. We've beaten better Huns sides than their current one, so let's get stuck in from the first minute. The Old Firm hate it when teams don't let them play. Hassle and harry them and occasionally boot one of them up in the air. :agree:

Juniper Greens
14-09-2020, 07:24 AM
Long time since we were good enough to rival Aberdeen over a season.

Two years ago we were 2 games away from finishing above them

flash
14-09-2020, 07:28 AM

Except that season.:wink:

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Agreed, Aberdeen at home was the one to go and win. Rangers will be extremely tough.

Some big statement of intent is really nonsense as well. We beat Rangers early the season McLeish has us 3rd. We still totally disappeared after Christmas. Same in the season Collins had us flying. Finished bloody 6th.

A statement of intent would be being consistent over a season.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2020, 07:59 AM

They finished 6 points above us

We miss a penalty at Pittodrie

Lenny throws a wobbly

No one to blame but ourselves

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2020, 08:00 AM
They finished 6 points above us

We miss a penalty at Pittodrie

Lenny throws a wobbly

No one to blame but ourselves

So, still only 2 games then? Fairly good considering the silly money advantage they had over us.

hibsbollah
14-09-2020, 08:13 AM
They look very good, although it’s also true that they haven’t been tested yet. I’d take another lucky Doidge deflection early doors, we weather the second half storm and Tommie tap in can tap it in in the 90th minute to seal it.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2020, 08:19 AM
So, still only 2 games then? Fairly good considering the silly money advantage they had over us.

Two games in which they maximised their points and we didn’t plus a +3 goal advantage

As I said no one to blame but ourselves

We move on

Aldo
14-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Agreed, Aberdeen at home was the one to go and win. Rangers will be extremely tough.

Some big statement of intent is really nonsense as well. We beat Rangers early the season McLeish has us 3rd. We still totally disappeared after Christmas. Same in the season Collins had us flying. Finished bloody 6th.

If we don’t get a result on Sunday it’s not the end of the world imho. As you’ve mentioned MW, it’s about consistency.

I think others have mentioned both the OF are on a different level but we need to compete and make it as difficult as possible for them.

3/4 this season is the very least we should be aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brummie_Hibs
14-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Beating Rangers would be laying down a statement of intent to Aberdeen.

We lose, and Aberdeen beat Motherwell, then they are 1 point behind us with 2 games in hand.

Yes, Rangers and Celtic are not realistic rivals, but so far we are showing some constancy beating other teams (Aberdeen apart), so we need to clay back those lost 3 points from somewhere, and a win over Rangers and/or Celtic is where we need to get it.

You have to expect Aberdeen will pick up the same wins against the other teams as we do. And therefore the pivotal games will be the ones against each other and what surprises against the the Uglies. Aberdeen currently have the advantage and we need to get that back.

jacomo
14-09-2020, 09:13 AM
If we don’t get a result on Sunday it’s not the end of the world imho. As you’ve mentioned MW, it’s about consistency.

I think others have mentioned both the OF are on a different level but we need to compete and make it as difficult as possible for them.

3/4 this season is the very least we should be aiming for.

Does it matter where the points come from?

We didn’t get them against Aberdeen and there’s nothing we can do about it now. Another 3 are available against Sevco.

*Obviously* it’s a tough assignment but I’m not convinced they are completely transformed from the team that threw away a lot of points in January and February.

Let’s ask them a few questions and see if they’ve got the answers. A very tricky tactical challenge for Jack and the team but one I hope they are relishing.

Aldo
14-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Does it matter where the points come from?

We didn’t get them against Aberdeen and there’s nothing we can do about it now. Another 3 are available against Sevco.

*Obviously* it’s a tough assignment but I’m not convinced they are completely transformed from the team that threw away a lot of points in January and February.

Let’s ask them a few questions and see if they’ve got the answers. A very tricky tactical challenge for Jack and the team but one I hope they are relishing.

I don’t care where the points come from but want us to compete. Very hard game on Sunday and we need everyone on their game.

Sammy7nil
14-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Of course we should be aiming to beat The Rangers however over the course of a full season realistically they are not our rivals. Aberdeen have been consistently better than us for some time but are well within reach we should aim to finish above them. Now that would be a statement of intent.

BlackSheep
14-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Taking points from the old firm is a huge part of being successful in the Scottish Premiership... but I’d argue that dropping points to anyone else... anyone... is more important.

At the beryl east we don’t want to be shipping multiple goals to Celtic or Rangers as being best of the rest can come down to goal difference. Close games, take a point or a win even better... but no point if we then go and lose or draw with bottom 6 teams.

hibbydog
14-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Och, I see it as a free hit. The days of a swashbuckling young Hibs team showing Celtic and Rangers who's boss (at least at ER) are over.

I'd be happy with a point.

The Leith Dutch
14-09-2020, 11:33 AM

That last sentence is bang on.
Aberdeen finish above us regularly primarily by being pretty consistent.

Putting aside the fact I like beating then more than any other team beating Rangers is only really of any use if we play consistently against the other teams which, tbf, we've made a relatively good fist of so far.

If we lose to both the ugly sisters and come back and win all three League matches in October that would be preferable to a glamour win against sevco and some disappointing results in the other games.

Jim44
14-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Any points taken from The Rangers or Celtic are always welcomed and enjoyed for the moment. In the greater scheme of things the odd win or draw against them has minimal effect. The added bonus of putting one up soorpus Gerrard would be icing on the cake.

WhileTheChief..
14-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Can’t see us getting anything from our games against Celtic or Rangers. They’re both too strong for us.

BoomtownHibees
14-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Seen worse Hibs teams beat better Rangers teams in the past

Keith_M
14-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Can’t see us getting anything from our games against Celtic or Rangers. They’re both too strong for us.

I think we'll most likely get four points from our next four games (L-L-W-D), meaning 20 points from the first round of league games.

I don't think we could be too unhappy with that.

Wilson
14-09-2020, 12:18 PM

That is where I'm at too. I was hoping for a win against St. Mirren as that would leave us in a good place going into these tough fixtures and well enough placed should the next two results go against us. I was surprised how easy that win came.

If we can compete well in both games and come away with some positives to kick on with then I will be happy enough.

CMurdoch
14-09-2020, 12:33 PM
I hate empty phrases like "Laying Down a Statement of Intent"
The teams intent is to win every game.
They won't achieve it but that is the intent.
Laying down a statement of intent is a wrestler speaking mince in the lead up to a "fight" to sell tickets to dafties.

Hibernia&Alba
14-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Laying down a statement of intent is a wrestler speaking mince in the lead up to a "fight" to sell tickets to dafties.

I think that's harsh. Beating der Hun would show our intent to compete with the big two, so making them aware Scottish football isn't just about them. The best way to achieve this is by showing intent from the first whistle in the game: compete for every ball and give them no time to settle. I get what the OP is trying to say: they won't have everything their own way, and there are teams who will challenge them. Nothing wrong with that.

Billy Whizz
14-09-2020, 04:38 PM
This is a game the fans could have roared Hibs to victory....

DH1875
14-09-2020, 05:18 PM

Spot on. Add in that there coming off an away tie in Europe and have 4/5 first team players out then of course we can beat them. The pressure will be on them big time as fully expect Celtic to be top of league by time we play them and a huge test of their mentality.

The Modfather
14-09-2020, 05:37 PM
If there was ever a game to do that, then Sunday is that game.

Not crucial, but pivotal.

Is that not an oxymoron? :hmmm:

superfurryhibby
14-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Is that not an oxymoron? :hmmm:

Classic oxymoron :aok:

As for statement of intent, it's surely just another cliched term used in football? It means a few different things to me, all of which apply to HIbs v Hun. A decent competitive match is my minimum expectation (hope?). To do that the players must be given a good game plan and tactical guidance. Hopefully Jack can manage a bit more in that respect than the last insipid and clueless game v Rangers at ER.

A good result will set a marker down that this Hibs side mean business and will be in or around the top end of the table this season. I'll be very pleased with a point and see no reason why we shouldn't achieve that.

Inconsequential
14-09-2020, 06:00 PM
The Huns could only manage a draw away to Livingston recently so why can't Hibs do the same or better? Hibs also beat them in the 2016 Scottish Cup Final I believe. GGTTH.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Also seen worse Rangers teams beat better Hibs teams. Neither has any effect on the weekends game really.

Magpie
14-09-2020, 06:20 PM
I would take 2 points from our next 2 games now

bigwheel
14-09-2020, 06:25 PM
I would take 2 points from our next 2 games now

Me too..I fancy us to get at least 1 point from them ..will be a really good test for us - be interesting to see how we get on..

Both teams are well ahead of us - but doesn’t mean we can’t get something out of a one off game

BoomtownHibees
14-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Also seen worse Rangers teams beat better Hibs teams. Neither has any effect on the weekends game really.

Pretty much confirms my point that nobody can predict what’s going to happen.

But part of being a supporter is having fun trying

CMurdoch
14-09-2020, 07:42 PM
I think that's harsh. Beating der Hun would show our intent to compete with the big two, so making them aware Scottish football isn't just about them. The best way to achieve this is by showing intent from the first whistle in the game: compete for every ball and give them no time to settle. I get what the OP is trying to say: they won't have everything their own way, and there are teams who will challenge them. Nothing wrong with that.

:rolleyes: Sorry H&A, my inner pedant is also triggered when folk on here erroneously use the word seen instead of saw and done instead of did in their posts. As bad as wegies using wir instead of our. Makes Hibees on here appear a bit thick.

Hoping Hibs can give Rangers a tough time of it at the weekend and steal a point or 3. Certainly a chance to take 1. 0-0 and only 90 mins to go.

gbhibby
14-09-2020, 07:47 PM
It's only another 3 points in the big scheme of things. Love beating them but a victory over them will not define our season even if we win the next two games. Its a marathon not a sprint.

weecounty hibby
14-09-2020, 07:55 PM
As much as it is a great feeling when we have beaten the Hun, in the grand scheme of things I would have preferred to have beaten Aberdeen last week. Unfortunately the Hun will be well in front of us come the end of the season.

bordergreen
14-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately Rangers are now on a different level again with Celtic. A draw would be a good result.

I have watched a few of our games and a few of theirs so far this season. If both we and they play the way we have been, I can see us getting a skelping. Hope I am wrong. It was a good win at the weekend, but we didn't look 3-0 good.

RitchieHibs
14-09-2020, 08:53 PM
We should always look to win every game at home no matter the opposition. Saturday there was better than against the Dons and the defence has kept things tight at the back. We've got a fighting chance all being well.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Pretty much confirms my point that nobody can predict what’s going to happen.

But part of being a supporter is having fun trying

I predict if we go 2 in centre midfield like last time at home we'll lose by 2 or 3.

majorhibs
14-09-2020, 08:56 PM
:rolleyes: Sorry H&A, my inner pedant is also triggered when folk on here erroneously use the word seen instead of saw and done instead of did in their posts. As bad as wegies using wir instead of our. Makes Hibees on here appear a bit thick.

Hoping Hibs can give Rangers a tough time of it at the weekend and steal a point or 3. Certainly a chance to take 1. 0-0 and only 90 mins to go.

Sorry mate, yer inner pedant is a bit of a twat, plenty folks wi likely much higher IQs than you’re displayin here play with words purely down tae how they’re feelin at that particular time, & if that makes YOU think they appear a bit thick, well, it’s probs as well you can’t see their opinion ae you.

BoomtownHibees
15-09-2020, 12:28 AM
I predict if we go 2 in centre midfield like last time at home we'll lose by 2 or 3.

You may be right. You may be wrong. That last game doesn’t really have any effect on this one 😉

jgl07
15-09-2020, 12:36 AM
The highest we've finished in the league in the last forty years is third, which I think we did three times.... the same number of times as we've been relegated. In fact, the last time we finished third was fifteen years ago.*

* Unless you count finishing third in The Championship

What about finishing second in the Championship in 2014-15 three points ahead of The Rangers?

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2020, 06:13 AM
You may be right. You may be wrong. That last game doesn’t really have any effect on this one 😉

It does if we learn from it.

Clarence
15-09-2020, 06:57 AM

Setting/laying/putting down a marker is also a particularly annoying one. It’s a favourite amongst those who are into Old Firm bawbaggery.

tonyrougier123
15-09-2020, 07:04 AM
If Boyler is on form and Doidgey fancies a hat-trick i would take another 4-0 walloping of that mob!!ggtth

Keith_M
15-09-2020, 07:06 AM
What about finishing second in the Championship in 2014-15 three points ahead of The Rangers?

Oh aye, that's right, we finished fourteenth.

Keith_M
15-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Actually, the word is 'Weegies' and I've never heard any of them say 'wir'.

Did you maybe mean 'wur'? You know the word, it's a bit like when other Scottish people say 'oor' instead of 'our'... e.g. Oor Wullie

Sorry, it's the inner pedant in me

Gloucester Hibs
15-09-2020, 07:23 AM

The 2-1 home win over them shortly after Alex Miller left surely the best example of this. A Rangers team streets ahead of the current one getting beaten by a Hibs side arguably worse (it contained Ray Wilkins) than our current XI.

Brian Laudrup had 2 attempts at a penalty and missed them both!

Is It On....
15-09-2020, 08:22 AM

Our last manager didn't like that sort of defeatist chat 🙂. We [seem to have] have a solid defence and good attacking options so let's go for it and show them there is a new sheriff in town 🙂

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Our last manager was utterly clueless and barely laid a glove on the Old Firm.

He was defeatist from the day he arrived.

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Our last manager was utterly clueless and barely laid a glove on the Old Firm.

He was defeatist from the day he arrived.

Ross hasn't done any better so far. Real test for him to show what he has in big games.

Dashing Bob S
16-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Wish this one was at Ibrox. I think we'd win it. At ER I fancy a draw or 2-1 Hibs.

spike220
16-09-2020, 09:22 PM
No team is unbeatable.

Unless it is a SC Semi and Conrad is in Goal

CMurdoch
17-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Actually, the word is 'Weegies' and I've never heard any of them say 'wir'.

Did you maybe mean 'wur'? You know the word, it's a bit like when other Scottish people say 'oor' instead of 'our'... e.g. Oor Wullie

Sorry, it's the inner pedant in me

Thanks Keith.
Wur as Scots for our makes sense. It always sounded like wir when I heard it said on TV and Radio. I remember Tommy Burns using it a lot in interviews.
Wir would of course be good Scots for were.

Brummie_Hibs
20-09-2020, 01:12 PM
I would call that performance Laying Down a Statement of Intent

Hibernia&Alba
20-09-2020, 02:45 PM
I would call that performance Laying Down a Statement of Intent

:agree:

We battled for everything, which is all we wanted.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2020, 02:46 PM
The sheep 🐑 putting down a marker today 🙈😂

JohnM1875
20-09-2020, 02:50 PM
The sheep 🐑 putting down a marker today 🙈😂

Aye, a skid mark. Love it.