PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jim Leighton

Aldo
12-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Just been reading that Jim Leighton has been battling prostate cancer for the last 18 months.

Hopefully makes a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the bar
12-09-2020, 07:18 PM
All the best to Jim, first Hibs keeper I remember watching in the flesh.

calumhibee1
12-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Same here. Superb goalkeeper and wishing him all the best.

theonlywayisup
12-09-2020, 07:24 PM
A fantastic goalkeeper, one of Scotland's best goalies. Let's hope he beats the dreaded cancer.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/2482078/gothenburg-great-jim-leighton-talks-about-his-cancer-battle-and-why-men-need-to-wise-up/

matty_f
12-09-2020, 07:29 PM
All the best to Leighton, he was outstanding with us - he and Darren Jackson practically kept us up themselves one season iirc.

lord bunberry
12-09-2020, 07:37 PM
All the best to him, he was outstanding for us.

Chorley Hibee
12-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Best wishes to Jim.

Many memories of countless outstanding performances in the green and white.

One of the best.

bawheid
12-09-2020, 07:46 PM
All the best to Leighton, he was outstanding with us - he and Darren Jackson practically kept us up themselves one season iirc.

Aye, think that was the season we sacked Miller and Duffy arrived on the helicopter. Playoff against Airdrie where Jackson in particular pulled us through. Leighton had won us numerous points during the season.

Superb keeper who was treated poorly by a couple of managers. Ferguson at United and Duffy at Dundee. It was no surprise he wanted to leave when Duffy took over at Easter Road. Alex Miller saved his career.

Good luck to Jim. One of my heroes growing up.

Baader
12-09-2020, 07:47 PM
All the best Jim. My favourite ever Hibs goalie. I remember him quoted as saying how much he loves our club after he turned his career around with us. Outstanding servant to Hibs.

Very best of luck to him.

DarlingtonHibee
12-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Best wishes Jim

DH1875
12-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Didn't know that. All the best Jim. One of my favourite ever hibs players.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-09-2020, 07:52 PM
91 caps. What a legend.

Capt Mainwaring
12-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Best wishes and positive thoughts for Jim. A very fine goalie for us and Scotland.

HibbyAndy
12-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Many years was he with us ? Proper goalkeeper

Viva_Palmeiras
12-09-2020, 08:01 PM
I hope he overcomes this.

The reason we’ve such high expectations on our keepers is being blessed with keepers of his quality. World class keeper. Consummate professional.

theonlywayisup
12-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Many years was he with us ? Proper goalkeeper

Four years, playing over 150 games.

His career was revitalised after Alex Miller signed him for Hibernian in summer 1993, Leighton playing over 150 games and missing only one league match in four seasons. He played in the 1993 Scottish League Cup Final) defeat to Rangers. He was recalled to the Scottish national team, collecting 23 of his 91 Scotland caps at Hibs. He later said he played the best football of his career in his spell at Easter Road and rated Miller the second-best manager he played under.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2020, 08:02 PM
Jim Leighton was my hero whe I was growing up. I absolutely idolised him and he is still the best goalkeeper I have seen in a Hibs shirt (I technically saw Goram but don't really remember). My abiding memory of him isn't a Hibs one but rather one for Scotland. Andy Goram had walked out a couple of days before a Euro 96 qualifier v Greece and Leighton got the nod. He made a fantastic point blank save in the 2nd half and Ally McCoist scored the winner a few minutes later.

I read Gorams book a few years back and he said Jim was the most studious keeper he knew. He analysed everything, watched every goal he lost back and tried to work out what he could have done differently. They were big rivals but had great respect for each other and were good friends.

An absolutely fantastic goalkeeper and I wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

Aldo
12-09-2020, 08:04 PM
I remember his double penalty save v Laudrup!

Outstanding for us!

The 90+2
12-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Glad to read he’s recovering.

CmoantheHibs
12-09-2020, 08:16 PM
Best wishes Jim. One of Scotland's greatest ever goalkeepers and an absolute colossus for Hibs.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2020, 08:16 PM

Me too, all the best to him. Hope he makes a full recovery.

theonlywayisup
12-09-2020, 08:18 PM
Why the "Not Hibs Content"? He's a Hibs legend for many of that era!

Onceinawhile
12-09-2020, 08:19 PM

Outstanding for us!

I think one of them hit the bar?

Regardless, hope he gets better ASAP.

jae
12-09-2020, 08:25 PM

Outstanding for us!

My Daughter was the mascot that day :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
12-09-2020, 08:28 PM
Great keeper for us and real good guy.

Best wishes Jim.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
12-09-2020, 08:41 PM
He was some keeper, great career.
Bandy Leighton, massively unfairly treated at Man U.
There loss was eventually our gain.
Always remember he couldn't kick to save himself, fantastic goalie though.

Crab apple
12-09-2020, 08:43 PM
All the best Jim. A great keeper and won us countless points. I’ve been blessed to see Rough, Goram and Leighton.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Get well soon Jim

Legend

:not worth

eastterrace
12-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Keep battling against this disease Jim , I’ve had it for about the last eighteen months as well and having surgery coming up soon. Not looking forward to the surgery but needs must.

DH1875
12-09-2020, 09:04 PM

Outstanding for us!

Remember when he saved 3 penalties away to thistle. I do, was bedlam and ended up going from top of the shed to the bottom and then to the royal in Glasgow with a broken ankle. Ahh, the memories lol.

hhibs
12-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Best of luck Jim,be safe and recover quickly.

bringbackbenny
12-09-2020, 10:13 PM
A magnificent keeper for Hibs, get well soon Jim great memories of many outstanding performances.

givescotlandfreedom
12-09-2020, 11:15 PM
A hero of mine as a wee boy.
Get well soon.

CraigHibee
12-09-2020, 11:19 PM
Keep fighting jim, he was a great keeper

zitelli62
12-09-2020, 11:22 PM
Remember when he saved 3 penalties away to thistle. I do, was bedlam and ended up going from top of the shed to the bottom and then to the royal in Glasgow with a broken ankle. Ahh, the memories lol.

I was behind the goals in the end that is now closed plenty partick fans didn't stop me cheering leightons performance in the penalty shoot out get well soon was great for us.

Roxyhibee
12-09-2020, 11:26 PM
All the best to Jim, absolute top drawer sportsman and great guy.

jacomo
13-09-2020, 12:30 AM

Same. Cult hero. Sending him all best wishes.

deeside_hibby
13-09-2020, 02:39 AM
Great goalie.. wish him well in his recovery.. personally used the team in UCAN superb set up look after you very well... cancer free after robotic surgery... feel free to donate to this charity that serves the north east of Scotland.

Please get checked if you have any of the symptoms as the earlier you catch the better the odds are.

https://www.ucanaberdeen.com/my-ucan-story-jim-leighton/

GGTTH:flag::flag:

hibbyfraelibby
13-09-2020, 07:44 AM
All the best to him, he was outstanding for us.

The pass back rule being introduced did for him in the end. He couldn't kick or pass for toffee under pressure. He was a goalie for a reason. A great one of his time.

Since452
13-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Get well soon Jim. Tremendous keeper for us

JimBHibees
15-09-2020, 06:12 AM

Outstanding for us!

Here is the highlights first one off the bar. How Rangers biased is the commentary. Some game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=email&v=iInKs5CUPYY

Billy Whizz
15-09-2020, 06:37 AM
Here is the highlights first one off the bar. How Rangers biased is the commentary. Some game.

Is that Gerry McNee commentating?

The Harp
15-09-2020, 06:38 AM
Heard Jim on Sportsound urging others to get themselves checked. Well done Jim.
One of the best keepers Scotland has ever produced. Extremely proud that Hibs played a significant role in his outstanding career.
Hope he makes a complete recovery.
All the best Jim.

Billy Whizz
15-09-2020, 06:39 AM
Heard Jim on Sportsound urging others to get themselves checked. Well done Jim.
One of the best keepers Scotland has ever produced. Extremely proud that Hibs played a significant role in his outstanding career.
Hope he makes a complete recovery.
All the best Jim.

Heard it too, impression I got was he had made a complete recovery

JimBHibees
15-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Is that Gerry McNee commentating?

Yes appalling

heretoday
15-09-2020, 11:46 AM
A handful of above average keepers have kept Hibs afloat down the years and Leighton is definitely one.

theonlywayisup
15-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Admins - can we remove the NHC? After all, Jim Leighton is one of our best goalies in the last 20 years.

surreyhibbie
15-09-2020, 12:01 PM
All the best Jim, one of the great keepers.

Oscar T Grouch
15-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Hope Jim has a full recovery from this. My uncle has prostrate cancer but is too old to have it treated, it is not progressing quickly thankfully.

I will reiterate what has been said above, especially to men over 40, please learn the symptoms and go see the doctor if you have any of them, it is better to get a blood test come back negative than not 'bothering' the doctor at all.

Give this a wee read and if any of it sounds like you, go to the doctors!!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/symptoms/

Tom Hart RIP
20-09-2020, 09:53 AM
Just listened to Jim on the Sportsound podcast. He was keen to tell people, particularly men over 50 to get tested. It's a simple blood test and takess 2 minutes. Unfortunately by the time Jim was tested it had spread to the Lymph Nodes and is is still getting treatment.

I had a test a few years ago and my PSA was higher than normal so I needed a biopsy and MRI but I'm cancer free but still get regular tests.

Prostate cancer is the most common type amongst older men and the earlier it is diagnosed the better so I would advise anyone over 50 to get tested.

JohnMcM
20-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Best wishes for a speedy get well Jim.

Northernhibee
20-09-2020, 10:07 AM
A former colleague of mine once did some business with Jim and only has good things to say about him, a really nice guy apparently. Hope he recovers fully.

jellybean
20-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Keep battling against this disease Jim , I’ve had it for about the last eighteen months as well and having surgery coming up soon. Not looking forward to the surgery but needs must.

All the best to Jim, and to you east terrace with your surgery.👍🏼

Northernhibee
20-09-2020, 10:13 AM

All the best to you, sure that wishing you well is one of the few things the whole of dot net can agree on :flag:

Billy Whizz
20-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Just listened to Jim on the Sportsound podcast. He was keen to tell people, particularly men over 50 to get tested. It's a simple blood test and takess 2 minutes. Unfortunately by the time Jim was tested it had spread to the Lymph Nodes and is is still getting treatment.

I had a test a few years ago and my PSA was higher than normal so I needed a biopsy and MRI but I'm cancer free but still get regular tests.

Prostate cancer is the most common type amongst older men and the earlier it is diagnosed the better so I would advise anyone over 50 to get tested.

You get bowel cancer tests, I believe from 55, so no reason why men shouldn’t get this from around that age

Spike Mandela
09-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Anyone listened to the Nutmeg podcast? Jim says that his four years at Hibs was the best form of his career.:aok:

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/podcast/interview-jim-leighton/

heretoday
09-10-2020, 01:07 PM
You get bowel cancer tests, I believe from 55, so no reason why men shouldn’t get this from around that age

Bowel tests are a boon but I suspect they've suspended them. I certainly haven't had anything in the post for ages.

stantonhibby
09-10-2020, 01:08 PM

From 50.....every 2 yrs

Smartie
09-10-2020, 01:11 PM
Anyone listened to the Nutmeg podcast? Jim says that his four years at Hibs was the best form of his career.:aok:

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/podcast/interview-jim-leighton/

That's interesting to hear.

He was absolutely phenomenal for us.

Mixu and Leighton were probably the signings who surprised me most - I was convinced they were both well over the hill when they signed for us, but what a contribution they both made for our club.

Pretty mad for Leighton to say that considering the esteem he was held in and the quality of the team he played for early in his career.

CockneyRebel
09-10-2020, 01:26 PM

Looks like half the Hibs wall run away at the Albertz free kick.

matty_f
09-10-2020, 01:30 PM
That's interesting to hear.

He was absolutely phenomenal for us.

Mixu and Leighton were probably the signings who surprised me most - I was convinced they were both well over the hill when they signed for us, but what a contribution they both made for our club.

Pretty mad for Leighton to say that considering the esteem he was held in and the quality of the team he played for early in his career.

We discussed him on the podcast last night and i think Leighton at Hibs was better than Goram at Hibs.

Lago
09-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Then stop them at 75.

RitchieHibs
09-10-2020, 02:16 PM
We discussed him on the podcast last night and i think Leighton at Hibs was better than Goram at Hibs.

I agree. I think Leighton was marginally better than Goram. However, Goram was a class act too, no doubt about that. Two terrrific goalies but for me Leighton shades it. Roughie was another cracking goalie. We're fortunate to have seen all three play at ER.

BroxburnHibee
09-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Leighton was a great keeper but Goram miles better for me.

jeffers
09-10-2020, 03:11 PM

Agreed. Not even close for me. Goram was the best keeper I’ve ever seen.

Irish_Steve
09-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Whenever Jim took a goal kick, the whole team would walk over to his right. He seemed incapable of hitting the ball up the left hand side of the pitch. I may be completely mis-remembering that tho!

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Agreed. Not even close for me. Goram was the best keeper I’ve ever seen.
This!

weecounty hibby
09-10-2020, 04:08 PM
This!

For me too. Goram is the best I've ever seen in goals, and I don't just mean for Hibs!!. Which is why it was so sad to see him turn into a knuckle dragging, bigoted neanderthal at the hun

Aldo
09-10-2020, 05:49 PM
From 50.....every 2 yrs

Confirmed. Got my first envelope 2 days after 50th Birthday.

jeffers
09-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Whenever Jim took a goal kick, the whole team would walk over to his right. He seemed incapable of hitting the ball up the left hand side of the pitch. I may be completely mis-remembering that tho!

I thought it was the left. He’d kick it with his right foot and curl into the left side of the field or out completely, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.

gbhibby
09-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Get well soon Jim. Remember his save at Aberdeen in the penalty shootout that the referee ordered a retake. He went mental at the decision. Made many unbelievable saves. Fergie used him as a scapegoat the Utd defence was honking that day

1875Sean
09-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Leighton over Goram for me, don’t get me wrong Goram is a great keeper but I think he gets hyped up more as he played for the old firm, just compare the caps, Leighton has a lot more. Have a lot of memories as a kid growing up watching poor Hibs teams and Leighton being outstanding

matty_f
09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Leighton over Goram for me, don’t get me wrong Goram is a great keeper but I think he gets hyped up more as he played for the old firm, just compare the caps, Leighton has a lot more. Have a lot of memories as a kid growing up watching poor Hibs teams and Leighton being outstanding

Goram was great at Hibs but I thought Leighton was better while he was here. Overall Goram was a better keeper but Leighton shades out for their respective times at Hibs, imho.

Irish_Steve
09-10-2020, 08:02 PM
I thought it was the left. He’d kick it with his right foot and curl into the left side of the field or out completely, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Ha ha - we seem to be right about his kicking, just which side of the pitch it went. I have sat for donkeys years in the North stand and just have a memory of the whole team (and opposition) traipsing over towards the dug-out in readiness for his kick. I think we missed an opportunity in having the left back stop to tie his boot and then Jim could have passed the ball to him. Said left back would have had the freedom of Easter Rd!

hibby rae
09-10-2020, 08:13 PM
I was listening to a terrace podcast. Think it was a patreon one about the game Scotland won to qualify for Euro 96 or France 98?

One of the presenters, a Jambo but not Fowler or Sked, said his memory was of Leighton being a huddy. He based this on a a derby where he shipped four goals or something.

But I remember listening to it thinking it was a of bollocks.

Since452
09-10-2020, 08:23 PM
My first game at Easter Road (that I remember) he saved a penalty in a draw with Motherwell. Not sure if that's accurate or if my mind is playing tricks on me! Great keeper.

hibby rae
09-10-2020, 08:45 PM
My first game at Easter Road (that I remember) he saved a penalty in a draw with Motherwell. Not sure if that's accurate or if my mind is playing tricks on me! Great keeper.

My memory of him is he was great at everything except goal kicks.

But that might have been reinforced by the fact he nearly hit me with one which flew into the East during a cup game we played against Aberdeen when we were in the First. We won 1-0.

lord bunberry
09-10-2020, 08:47 PM
I agree. Goram was ridiculously good at times, it pains me to say it as he’s an absolute ****, but he was better. Leighton was brilliant, but Goram was a freak as a keeper.

lord bunberry
09-10-2020, 08:52 PM
I’m only basing my opinion on what I saw for hibs and Goram was better. The difference is that Leighton is still held in high regard by us and Goram is seen as a complete welt. I think that shows that anyone saying Goram was better isn’t being clouded by what he did after he left.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2020, 09:00 PM
I saw both Goram and Leighton during their spells with HIBS both were brilliant I especially remember Leighton’s performance in the penalty shoot out at Firhill For Thrills but for me Goram was the better all round goalkeeper and besides he scored two goals to Jim Leighton’s nil

Get well soon Jim

You are a HIBS and Scotland Legend!

Smartie
10-10-2020, 08:07 AM
I was listening to a terrace podcast. Think it was a patreon one about the game Scotland won to qualify for Euro 96 or France 98?

One of the presenters, a Jambo but not Fowler or Sked, said his memory was of Leighton being a huddy. He based this on a a derby where he shipped four goals or something.

But I remember listening to it thinking it was a of bollocks.

He did have an absolute shocker once in a 4-0 home defeat against Hearts. At least once he was caught with the ball at his feet, and there might even have been another game similar to that one as well. If you’re a Jambo who only sees the odd Hibs game, you might be forgiven for forming that opinion.

Very rarely did he play badly for us and often he was outstanding.

The Scotland game being referred to - I think we were pounded by Sweden at Ibrox but came away with a 1-0 win, John McGinlay scored after a quality Darren Jackson dummy. Leighton our in one of the best goalkeeping performances I think I’ve ever seen, pretty much dragged us to whatever tournament that was, would have been 96 or 98.

Yorkshire HFC
10-10-2020, 08:14 AM
Rough, Leighton and Goram were all superb for Hibs. I'd have all 3 in the best 10 players I've ever seen play for Hibs.

Since452
10-10-2020, 08:46 AM
Just too young to remember Goram at Hibs but one game I remember Leighton playing really sticks out and it wasn't with us. We played Sweden in a qualifier at Ibrox and he was absolutely immense. Scotland had two genuinely world class keepers in the 90's. Typical.

The 90+2
10-10-2020, 08:49 AM
Always thought Leighton walked out on us too after we practically saved his career?

hibby rae
10-10-2020, 12:14 PM
He did have an absolute shocker once in a 4-0 home defeat against Hearts. At least once he was caught with the ball at his feet, and there might even have been another game similar to that one as well. If you’re a Jambo who only sees the odd Hibs game, you might be forgiven for forming that opinion.

Very rarely did he play badly for us and often he was outstanding.

The Scotland game being referred to - I think we were pounded by Sweden at Ibrox but came away with a 1-0 win, John McGinlay scored after a quality Darren Jackson dummy. Leighton our in one of the best goalkeeping performances I think I’ve ever seen, pretty much dragged us to whatever tournament that was, would have been 96 or 98.

Yes! That's the game! I imagine Sweden would have had a very good team around then too.

I'm assuming the game was at Ibrox because Hampden was being renovated?

I watched the highlights of the Gordon Hunter derby yesterday and it looked like Leighton had an immense game that day

Baader
10-10-2020, 01:42 PM
Always thought Leighton walked out on us too after we practically saved his career?

He did not get on with Jim Duffy going back to his spell at Dundee and wouldn't play under him. I wouldn't say Goram was miles ahead of Leighton as a keeper. Both top class but very little between them in my opinion.

For Hibs Leighton just edges it for me. He was fantastic for us, a great signing. The fact he went from being in the reserves at Dundee to being Scotland's number one at France '98 World Cup shows just how good Hibs were for him and vice versa.

ancient hibee
10-10-2020, 01:48 PM
My top goalies.

Goram,Leslie,Rough,Leighton,Younger.

Since452
10-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Noticed there was a Leighton as sub keeper for Cove today. Any relation?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-10-2020, 01:57 PM

That's how I remember it too.

cal-d hibs
10-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Rough, Leighton and Goram were all superb for Hibs. I'd have all 3 in the best 10 players I've ever seen play for Hibs.

How lucky we were, all 3 were superb. Due to my age Roughie will always be my favourite but the times all 3 made me roar and applaud are uncountable.

JimBHibees
13-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Noticed there was a Leighton as sub keeper for Cove today. Any relation?

Think the guy was called Tom Leighton from Northern Ireland no relation.

Found this superb article about Jim and his late dad and the relationship they had during his career. Well worth a read.

http://howtowatchfootball.co.uk/Post/Display/1942?t=his-fathers-son

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2020, 07:09 AM
Think the guy was called Tom Leighton from Northern Ireland no relation.

Found this superb article about Jim and his late dad and the relationship they had during his career. Well worth a read.

http://howtowatchfootball.co.uk/Post/Display/1942?t=his-fathers-son

Good read

Thanks for posting Jim