PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Mirren 120920)

Jonnyboy
12-09-2020, 07:01 PM
St. Mirren Park was the venue for yet another game with no fans present. Of course that meant we all had to rely on internet based TV coverage and I don’t know about you but the stream we had via St. Mirren’s platform was pretty patchy at times and even froze for a minute or two early in the first half. Thankfully, none of the important and sometimes entertaining parts were enjoyed as Hibs cruised to a 3-0 win.

With Scott Allan out injured it looked to me at least as though Stevie Mallan would get the nod but in fact it was Jamie Murphy that filled the jersey as Hibs set up with a standard 4-4-2 formation. I want to say up front that the balance in midfield looked far better with this formation and I guess some might say we were more effective with Scotty out. There may be an element of truth in that thought but it’s far too simplistic to stop any analysis there. My view is that the return of Gogic was key to our performance and on a day where five or six players might have earned my man of the match award it was Gogic that topped my list. The man was everywhere he needed to be to break up St. Mirren’s play and certainly qualifies for the cliché that he covered every blade of grass.

In terms of the game, the opening exchanges involved both teams testing the other out. A stunning through ball from Murphy gave Boyle the opportunity of a shot on goal but Martin hesitated slightly and a defender did enough to remove the danger to his goal.

Hibs were taking control of the game and opened the scoring around the quarter hour mark. Boyle and McGinn combined well to allow the latter to hit a low ball into the six yard area. On loan goalkeeper Zlamal made a hash of trying to get down to it and was on the deck when Nisbet made contact, his effort resulting in the ball going through the keeper’s legs and into the net.

The goal helped to settle Hibs and anything the hosts threw at them was easily dealt with by resolute defending. We’d only played another three minutes when Hibs doubled their lead. A fine crossfield ball found Boyle on the right, allowing him to hit the touchline before picking out Newell with a cut back to the eighteen yard line. Joe hit the effort in his stride and basically passed the ball into the net to the right of Zlamal. It was an excellent goal and what struck me most about it was Boyle lifting his head to see Newell’s availability. Martin is often guilty of not lifting his head but he got it spot on this time.

Stung into action, St Mirren pressed forward and only a double save from Marciano stopped them pulling a goal back. The first of those saw a spectacular dive to his right; referred to in commentary as a ‘television save’ whilst the second, just moments later was a fine stop from a point blank header.

You need a bit of luck in games and Hibs got some as half time approached. A corner on St. Mirren’s right was headed clear but only back to the taker who delivered another cross into the area. As he jumped for it the ball clearly struck the hand of Ryan Porteous but thankfully both referee Willie Collum and his assistant missed it. Perhaps they should visit their sponsor in the near future.

The second half saw the hosts trying to use the ball to better effect but when defending, every player in a Hibs jersey earned their corn and on the hour mark, Hibs struck again. A cross from Newell reached the far post and with the Hearts loanee in goals flapping at it and missing, Boyle jumped and the ball struck off his shoulder and went into the net. Given that a 2-0 lead can cause players to become a tad nervous the third goal effectively killed the game. Jim Goodwin made a host of changes but none of the players that came off the bench looked like they were going to make a positive difference.

A 3-0 finishing scoreline; a fourth consecutive away win and a seventh league game in which Hibs have not conceded a goal from open play. Importantly though was the fact that we played a whole lot better than we have done in recent games. The balance of the side looked just right and the willing work rate from all involved, together with taking chances in front of goal were obviously contributory factors.

Next week we face the toughest test so far when the Rangers come to Easter Road. A team that hasn’t conceded from open play against a team that hasn’t conceded at all.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had a relatively easy time of it today and made the saves you’d expect him to make. I have to say though that he seemed more confident than usual in coming for crosses into his box.

McGinn – I recall when Paul signed a fair few on here were ‘underwhelmed’ but the lad has proved to be a very valuable asset to us. He does the basics very well and his movement up and down the line was very noticeable today.

Porteous – The lad Obika is a handful for any defenders, just ask Hearts, but Ryan handled him really well today. There was a helping of luck of course with the missed hand ball but he was strong throughout the ninety and I hope his painful injury at the final whistle is not too serious.

Hanlon – Like Ryan, Paul handled Obika and latterly Erwin very well. Once again his reading of the play was first class and both he and Ryan are forming a formidable partnership.

Doig – It’s astonishing, to me at least, that Josh turns in performances like today on a pretty regular basis. For one so young he shows great maturity both in possession and out of it.

Boyle – It’s strange because during the game I thought he wasn’t as involved as I’d like him to be but given that he made one goal and scored another ……… I’ll settle for that level of involvement in every game.

Gogic – On the evidence so far, Gogic might just be our best signing of the most recent recruitments. He is a spoiler but he’s also much more than that. Great tackler, great energy, great movement and a great header of the ball he offers the perfect foil to those in our side who like to create.

Newell – Joe’s not always been at it this season so far but he was outstanding today. The lad is creative, energetic and willing to do the dirty stuff whilst his role today was helped enormously by having Gogic alongside him.

Murphy – Our first real chance to see what he can offer and I for one am happy with his input. He is a really good passer of the ball, can see the runs of others and use them to good effect and contrary to popular belief he has a good turn of pace.

Nisbet – Playing in a two suits Kevin down to the ground and he was in the right place at the right time to put us in front. It wasn’t a stunner but without his reading of the situation it wouldn’t have been a goal at all.

Doidge – For such a big guy he gets around well and seems to have limitless energy. His link up play was mostly good today and his strength in the air caused St Mirren’s centre backs a lot of problems.

Gullan – I really like the look of this laddie. I enjoyed watching him a few times at Raith and I truly believe he will go on to be a good player for Hibs.

Wright – Drey replaced a tiring Jamie Murphy and slotted seamlessly into the wide left of midfield role. Hibs pretty much had the points won when he came on but he contributed well to us seeing out the game.

Mallan – As I said earlier I had thought Stevie might start the game but he only got the last few minutes and so it’s difficult to highlight anything really of note.

Shanley – Much the same as my comments re Mallan in terms of his contribution today but I know Jack Ross has high hopes for Ryan and I expect him to be in and around the match day squad more often than not.

Jack Ross – I’ve no doubt he will have been delighted with both the performance and the result and rightly so in my opinion.

Willie Collum – His face should be the same colour as the top he wore today after missing that clear cut penalty.

scoopyboy
12-09-2020, 07:17 PM
St. Mirren Park was the venue for yet another game with no fans present. Of course that meant we all had to rely on internet based TV coverage and I don’t know about you but the stream we had via St. Mirren’s platform was pretty patchy at times and even froze for a minute or two early in the first half. Thankfully, none of the important and sometimes entertaining parts were enjoyed as Hibs cruised to a 3-0 win.

With Scott Allan out injured it looked to me at least as though Stevie Mallan would get the nod but in fact it was Jamie Murphy that filled the jersey as Hibs set up with a standard 4-4-2 formation. I want to say up front that the balance in midfield looked far better with this formation and I guess some might say we were more effective with Scotty out. There may be an element of truth in that thought but it’s far too simplistic to stop any analysis there. My view is that the return of Gogic was key to our performance and on a day where five or six players might have earned my man of the match award it was Gogic that topped my list. The man was everywhere he needed to be to break up St. Mirren’s play and certainly qualifies for the cliché that he covered every blade of grass.

In terms of the game, the opening exchanges involved both teams testing the other out. A stunning through ball from Murphy gave Boyle the opportunity of a shot on goal but Martin hesitated slightly and a defender did enough to remove the danger to his goal.

Hibs were taking control of the game and opened the scoring around the quarter hour mark. Boyle and McGinn combined well to allow the latter to hit a low ball into the six yard area. On loan goalkeeper Zlamal made a hash of trying to get down to it and was on the deck when Nisbet made contact, his effort resulting in the ball going through the keeper’s legs and into the net.

The goal helped to settle Hibs and anything the hosts threw at them was easily dealt with by resolute defending. We’d only played another three minutes when Hibs doubled their lead. A fine crossfield ball found Boyle on the right, allowing him to hit the touchline before picking out Newell with a cut back to the eighteen yard line. Joe hit the effort in his stride and basically passed the ball into the net to the right of Zlamal. It was an excellent goal and what struck me most about it was Boyle lifting his head to see Newell’s availability. Martin is often guilty of not lifting his head but he got it spot on this time.

Stung into action, St Mirren pressed forward and only a double save from Marciano stopped them pulling a goal back. The first of those saw a spectacular dive to his right; referred to in commentary as a ‘television save’ whilst the second, just moments later was a fine stop from a point blank header.

You need a bit of luck in games and Hibs got some as half time approached. A corner on St. Mirren’s right was headed clear but only back to the taker who delivered another cross into the area. As he jumped for it the ball clearly struck the hand of Ryan Porteous but thankfully both referee Willie Collum and his assistant missed it. Perhaps they should visit their sponsor in the near future.

The second half saw the hosts trying to use the ball to better effect but when defending, every player in a Hibs jersey earned their corn and on the hour mark, Hibs struck again. A cross from Newell reached the far post and with the Hearts loanee in goals flapping at it and missing, Boyle jumped and the ball struck off his shoulder and went into the net. Given that a 2-0 lead can cause players to become a tad nervous the third goal effectively killed the game. Jim Goodwin made a host of changes but none of the players that came off the bench looked like they were going to make a positive difference.

A 3-0 finishing scoreline; a fourth consecutive away win and a seventh league game in which Hibs have not conceded a goal from open play. Importantly though was the fact that we played a whole lot better than we have done in recent games. The balance of the side looked just right and the willing work rate from all involved, together with taking chances in front of goal were obviously contributory factors.

Next week we face the toughest test so far when the Rangers come to Easter Road. A team that hasn’t conceded from open play against a team that hasn’t conceded at all.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had a relatively easy time of it today and made the saves you’d expect him to make. I have to say though that he seemed more confident than usual in coming for crosses into his box.

McGinn – I recall when Paul signed a fair few on here were ‘underwhelmed’ but the lad has proved to be a very valuable asset to us. He does the basics very well and his movement up and down the line was very noticeable today.

Porteous – The lad Obika is a handful for any defenders, just ask Hearts, but Ryan handled him really well today. There was a helping of luck of course with the missed hand ball but he was strong throughout the ninety and I hope his painful injury at the final whistle is not too serious.

Hanlon – Like Ryan, Paul handled Obika and latterly Erwin very well. Once again his reading of the play was first class and both he and Ryan are forming a formidable partnership.

Doig – It’s astonishing, to me at least, that Josh turns in performances like today on a pretty regular basis. For one so young he shows great maturity both in possession and out of it.

Boyle – It’s strange because during the game I thought he wasn’t as involved as I’d like him to be but given that he made one goal and scored another ……… I’ll settle for that level of involvement in every game.

Gogic – On the evidence so far, Gogic might just be our best signing of the most recent recruitments. He is a spoiler but he’s also much more than that. Great tackler, great energy, great movement and a great header of the ball he offers the perfect foil to those in our side who like to create.

Newell – Joe’s not always been at it this season so far but he was outstanding today. The lad is creative, energetic and willing to do the dirty stuff whilst his role today was helped enormously by having Gogic alongside him.

Murphy – Our first real chance to see what he can offer and I for one am happy with his input. He is a really good passer of the ball, can see the runs of others and use them to good effect and contrary to popular belief he has a good turn of pace.

Nisbet – Playing in a two suits Kevin down to the ground and he was in the right place at the right time to put us in front. It wasn’t a stunner but without his reading of the situation it wouldn’t have been a goal at all.

Doidge – For such a big guy he gets around well and seems to have limitless energy. His link up play was mostly good today and his strength in the air caused St Mirren’s centre backs a lot of problems.

Gullan – I really like the look of this laddie. I enjoyed watching him a few times at Raith and I truly believe he will go on to be a good player for Hibs.

Wright – Drey replaced a tiring Jamie Murphy and slotted seamlessly into the wide left of midfield role. Hibs pretty much had the points won when he came on but he contributed well to us seeing out the game.

Mallan – As I said earlier I had thought Stevie might start the game but he only got the last few minutes and so it’s difficult to highlight anything really of note.

Shanley – Much the same as my comments re Mallan in terms of his contribution today but I know Jack Ross has high hopes for Ryan and I expect him to be in and around the match day squad more often than not.

Jack Ross – I’ve no doubt he will have been delighted with both the performance and the result and rightly so in my opinion.

Willie Collum – His face should be the same colour as the top he wore today after missing that clear cut penalty.

Although he didn't get an assist for the first goal he slipped a great ball through to McGinn who did get the assist. So for me he was heavily involved in all three.

I said to my laddie it makes a change to see him looking up before parting with the ball and I noticed you picked up on it as well.

hibee_girl
12-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Although he didn't get an assist for the first goal he slipped a great ball through to McGinn who did get the assist. So for me he was heavily involved in all three.

I said to my laddie it makes a change to see him looking up before parting with the ball and I noticed you picked up on it as well.

My Grandad said the same thing to me as well.

Great summary JB :aok:

RitchieHibs
12-09-2020, 07:44 PM
What a difference a fortnight makes. Powderpuff against an aggressive tough Dons outfit but we turned it around today with a few changes in personnel in the line up and a switch of formation. Long may this performance be the norm and off ones like against the Dons rare. Enjoyed reading your intelligent and informative piece. Nice one.

et_hibby
12-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Good report- thanks.

Greenbeard
12-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Lots to like. Wouldn’t say one decent game from Newell has me eating my words but I will admit to having to chew on them a bit.
Not sure that Doidge merited that much praise. Want him to be a nuisance but too many fouls. It’s a long way from his brain to his feet!

Unseen work
13-09-2020, 12:37 AM
Brilliant win, result and performance. Can’t ask for much more.

Rocky was very sharp when called upon and seems to be dealing with crosses well, also a big improvement on his distribution.

Defence was solid as usual, Porteous and Hanlon are developing a really good understanding and partnership. McGinn is a player I just love, solid defensively but also uses the ball very well and intelligently....brilliant run and assist for Nisbet. Doig I sometimes forget is only 18, wasn’t troubled at all defensively and linked up well with Murphy, if he squared his cross one touch earlier he would have had a brilliant assist - it will come.

Gogic is another player I love and can’t help but laugh when he hits a shot :greengrin In all seriousness though he wins everything - loose balls, headers, 50/50s and he’s also really good at reading the game and covering the pitch. Newell was very effective on the ball today and you could see a bit of cockiness coming out in his play which was good to see, the question is can he build on this. Couple of excellent passes in particular the through ball to Doig.

Boyle was a lot better today than previous weeks, still a lot more to offer though which is very encouraging. Murphy provided a nice change in that he was willing to take the ball in tight areas, keep it and play a simple pass, I don’t think he gave the ball away today. Hopefully offers more of an attacking threat in the coming weeks but his pass to Boyle in the first half showed his ability.

Doidge was very quiet for me today, worked hard but can’t remember anything of note coming off for him, looks a frustrated figure at the moment. Nisbet is a class act and appears to have all the attributes you want for a top striker, I think he’s a brilliant addition and if he keeps playing like this Scotland and other clubs will come calling.

None of the subs had too much impact however I want to mention Gullan as I saw a couple debating his performance. Although we won 3-0 and it will be forgotten he has to do better imo, I’m a big fan of his but today I think he gave it away near enough every time he got it and looked a bit slack. I appreciate it was only 15 minutes and he’s not had much game time but Tam McManus made a great point - if you’re 3-0 up and a young striker getting the opportunity to go on the park for 15 minutes you need to make an impression and have a good impact.

Jack Ross - Got it spot on and whatever they worked on in the international break paid off, brilliant. 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss out of 7. 16/21 points....no arguments from me and long may it continue. Scored 11 in 7 and yet to concede from open play.

A couple more signings of real quality and we’re looking very strong - ideally a stand out centre mid and a striker to provide competition.

Ethan Erhahon really impressed me today for St Mirren. Only turned 19 in May and is a fair size but also very mobile and a great left foot. He’s the sort of player we should be snapping up sharply imo as they can’t demand much of a fee and he has potential. Also out of contract next year iirc.

Hibs.net - Crazy the lack of posts/threads after a comfortable 3-0 victory compared to a less convincing game/loss :confused:

Bobby's Cinema
13-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Credit where it is due - Newell and Gogic outstanding in the middle of the park.

My favourite moment of the game was Gogic chasing back down the line near side and his man tried to take him down the outside and he shrugged him off the ball so easily like men vs boys.

Well done Jack Ross for making the necessary changes along our back line and having us looking so solid at the moment. This should not be underestimated in our start to the season - how many times did we throw away points from winning positions last season? This has been well addressed on the evidence so far.

What a difference for Doidge also having a partner up there. Lads were linking up great playing off each other rather than long balls up to a frustrated Doidge throwing himself around.

jacomo
13-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Thanks JB another great report.

This 5 subs rule could make quite a difference to the game time that developing players get this season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

EVENTUALLY
13-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Credit where it is due - Newell and Gogic outstanding in the middle of the park.

My favourite moment of the game was Gogic chasing back down the line near side and his man tried to take him down the outside and he shrugged him off the ball so easily like men vs boys.

Well done Jack Ross for making the necessary changes along our back line and having us looking so solid at the moment. This should not be underestimated in our start to the season - how many times did we throw away points from winning positions last season? This has been well addressed on the evidence so far.

What a difference for Doidge also having a partner up there. Lads were linking up great playing off each other rather than long balls up to a frustrated Doidge throwing himself around.

Newall played more forward passes yesterday than in any game this season. Clearly the international break was well spent drilling this aspect of his midfield role. What a difference it made to see the team move in a forward direction with purpose. Gogic made a big difference simply by being back in the team doing the work that others aren't so easily able to do. I would like to see him take a wee bit more care of the ball when he's not under pressure to direct headers and clearances towards team mates.

The backline is solid and very disciplined. Gogic and Boyle committed the fouls for the Killie free kick and Aberdeen penalty. They've enjoyed some luck with the St. J disallowed goal and Porto's handball yesterday but they are all playing great individually and as a unit.

bigwheel
13-09-2020, 09:46 AM
I’d say yesterday’s was Doig’s best overall 90 for us ..defending strong and good use of the ball..maturing into a first eleven pick ...

B.H.F.C
13-09-2020, 09:59 AM
I’d say yesterday’s was Doig’s best overall 90 for us ..defending strong and good use of the ball..maturing into a first eleven pick ...

His part in our defensive improvement shouldn’t be underestimated. We had a real problem in that position. To have, hopefully, solved it without having to spend any money on it is a huge bonus.

JimBHibees
13-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Agree looked very comfortable and good going forward. Provides good athleticism and pace going forward and will develop having someone like Murphy an intelligent wide player to link with, thought he linked well with both Murphy and Newell. Big tests in the next 2 games that is for sure but really is a potential big asset to the team and imo will only get better.

Tambo
13-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Doidge has been quiet the past few games now, don't seem to be working as hard as we have seen from him but I'm defenfitly not criticising or wanting him dropped.

I also think not getting the Wales call had maybe had a little dent in his confidence.

hibbyfraelibby
13-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Doidge has been quiet the past few games now, don't seem to be working as hard as we have seen from him but I'm defenfitly not criticising or wanting him dropped.

I also think not getting the Wales call had maybe had a little dent in his confidence.

Do you think it not just a case of "Tap in Tommy" being beaten to the ball by "Ricochet Ronnie" and "Shoulder shrug Skippy"?😊😊😊

Greenbeard
13-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Agree looked very comfortable and good going forward. Provides good athleticism and pace going forward and will develop having someone like Murphy an intelligent wide player to link with, thought he linked well with both Murphy and Newell. Big tests in the next 2 games that is for sure but really is a potential big asset to the team and imo will only get better.
It seemed very crowded at times down the left but they generally worked the tight spaces well. Noteworthy that two of our goals came from moving the ball to the right where there was way more space. Ploy?

bigwheel
13-09-2020, 12:24 PM
And apologies if it is noted elsewhere, but congratulations to Ryan Stanley for making his competitive debut. Great to see the trust the current coaching team have in the youngsters ..

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Excellent write up as usual, Jonny :top marks

erin go bragh
13-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Agree with almost everything JB but thought Hammer had a bit of a mare .

Since452
14-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Paul McGinn has been an excellent signing

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

👍🏿