PDA

View Full Version : What clicked today?

Monts
12-09-2020, 06:00 PM
An impressive win away from home. Another clean sheet. Multiple goalscorers.

The last couple of weeks have seen suggestions of us being in a false league position due to our performances of late. So what changed today?

matty_f
12-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Gogic and Nisbet back in the team, and i think Murphy gave us more than Allan has this season.

Andy74
12-09-2020, 06:02 PM

The last couple of weeks have seen suggestions of us being in a false league position due to our performances of late. So what changed today?

I think it’s the suggestion that we were in a false position that was wrong. We’ve a good team just now, balance is pretty much fine and we are getting players back in or bedded in.

If the fans can start to try and hold their own nerve a bit instead of freaking out when we have the odd blip then we’ll be fine.

Brightside
12-09-2020, 06:29 PM

St mirren aren’t very good tbh. Newell and Gogic were allowed to dictate.

Smartie
12-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Getting an early couple of goals settled us.

Gogic is a hugely important player for us, it was important to have him back.

Murphy played well too and the combination of all of these things seemed to allow Newell a bit of time and space to play - which he is very good at, on his day.

The Aberdeen game came at a bad time for us but we can't hide away from the big teams indefinitely.

I liked Ross' tactics - the 2 strikers, and I think we should have enough about us to continue our excellent record against weaker teams over the course of the season.

We definitely need a bit more in the middle of the park for the bigger games though, as we're too far short of Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers in there.

Keith_M
12-09-2020, 06:38 PM
Different opposition, different day, no Hibs players missing.

It's not complicated.

Wilson
12-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Getting an early couple of goals settled us.

Gogic is a hugely important player for us, it was important to have him back.

Murphy played well too and the combination of all of these things seemed to allow Newell a bit of time and space to play - which he is very good at, on his day.

The Aberdeen game came at a bad time for us but we can't hide away from the big teams indefinitely.

I liked Ross' tactics - the 2 strikers, and I think we should have enough about us to continue our excellent record against weaker teams over the course of the season.

We definitely need a bit more in the middle of the park for the bigger games though, as we're too far short of Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers in there.

Good post. Sums it up for me :top marks

MWHIBBIES
12-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Early goals. That's really it. Same as Livi. When we don't score in the first 25/30 minutes it's painful. When we do, we take control.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2020, 06:46 PM
We performed well today as individuals and as a team. In the lead up to the international break we didn't.

I think we are still one light in midfield and I think we may struggle to take anything from our next 2 games but if we keep tucking away teams like St Mirren then we'll be OK this season.

Jim44
12-09-2020, 06:48 PM
I thought Newell took his goal beautifully.

hibee_girl
12-09-2020, 06:49 PM

:agree:

Best goal of the three.

Newell played well today, that's a huge difference.

CmoantheHibs
12-09-2020, 06:51 PM
I think the way St Mirren played helped. They tried to play but were much more open than most other teams in the league. Also think our central midfield pushed further on and were more offensive minded. Got the impression that Newell and Gogic were asked to sit deeper in previous games but got to take shackles off a bit today. Felt Mackie helped too. Is composed on the ball and his first touch and movement gives him space to think. Reminds me a bit of Mc Geoch in that respect.

Onion
12-09-2020, 06:54 PM
St mirren aren’t very good tbh. Newell and Gogic were allowed to dictate.

:agree: Midfield is our weak link and StM weren't able to dominate the game in the same way Killie, Motherwell and Aberdeen were able to against us. Also, taking chances helps a bit :aok:

Unseen work
12-09-2020, 06:57 PM
We actually kept the ball for longer then 5 seconds today.

A lot of our play has been 100mph and risky passes but sometimes you need to put your foot on the ball and dictate play, we done that today.

Just Alf
12-09-2020, 06:59 PM
We actually kept the ball for longer then 5 seconds today.

A lot of our play has been 100mph and risky passes but sometimes you need to put your foot on the ball and dictate play, we done that today.That first sentence sums it up for me, we have some quality, we just need to use it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
12-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Really good team goal. All started off by a towering and accurate headed clearance from porto.

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 07:02 PM
On another day it could have been 1-1 at half time, putting an entirely different complexion on the 2nd half.

The stats indicate a very even game and I agree with Jim Goodwin that the scoreline flattered us.

That's not to say we were bad or lucky and I'm in no way complaining, it's just that there can be a very fine line between a hit and a miss.

neil7908
12-09-2020, 07:32 PM
I think it’s the suggestion that we were in a false position that was wrong. We’ve a good team just now, balance is pretty much fine and we are getting players back in or bedded in.

If the fans can start to try and hold their own nerve a bit instead of freaking out when we have the odd blip then we’ll be fine.

I don't think anyone has been freaking out. No one has really questioned the results. The performances have been crap in 5 out of our 7 games this season.

I'm delighted with the result today though and look forward to seeing more of thud Hibs team in the future as we start to gel.

SMAXXA
12-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Gogic and Nisbet back in the team, and i think Murphy gave us more than Allan has this season.

That’s it in a nutshell for me

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-09-2020, 07:57 PM
In terms of the team mentality, I think that we will benefit from winning games after being behind.

Tambo
12-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Much improved from recent weeks and thought Murphy done well and should be more to come from him.

Defence again top notch again and my motm goes to Joe Newell.

12-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Think Murphy is going to b a big player for us unfortunately out against the Huns.

Northernhibee
12-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Two up front, a central midfield pairing that works and every player playing for the benefit of each other.

B.H.F.C
12-09-2020, 08:58 PM
I don’t think it clicked as such. We scored first and it suited us after that .

Very comfortable, similar to the Livingston game. Next two games will tell us if we’re a decent team or not. Would love to see a performance next week.

gaz1875
12-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Much more movement and midfield looked much more balanced. Players were actually looking for the ball in space.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
12-09-2020, 10:07 PM
I think the way St Mirren played helped. They tried to play but were much more open than most other teams in the league. Also think our central midfield pushed further on and were more offensive minded. Got the impression that Newell and Gogic were asked to sit deeper in previous games but got to take shackles off a bit today. Felt Mackie helped too. Is composed on the ball and his first touch and movement gives him space to think. Reminds me a bit of Mc Geoch in that respect.

Mackie?

allmodcons
13-09-2020, 05:08 AM
Sometimes you win nice, sometimes you win not so nice. On occasions you draw or get beaten. That's how our start to the season has been.

It's not rocket science but if we can continue in that vein we'll do well this season.

Ross Jack's stats since he took over from PH have been excellent and IMO we are lucky to have a young manager of his calibre.

The Aberdeen game was disappointing but the outrage by some individuals on these boards completely unjustified. They are a very difficult side to beat when they get ahead, a fortuitous penalty being pivotal in the game.

The next 2 matches will be a good indicator of where we are but win, lose or draw let's not get hysterical.

No doubt there is room improvement but we are in a good place at the moment with a good manager and a decent squad of players.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-09-2020, 05:33 AM
As CmoantheHibs said, it was refreshing to play against a team that actually tries to actually play football

Jim Goodwin managerial approach has impressed me so far and he has put a decent team together

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2020, 05:35 AM
As CmoantheHibs said, it was refreshing to play against a team that actually tries to actually play football

Jim Goodwin managerial approach has impressed me so far and he has put a decent team together

Nothing impressive about playing open and getting soundly pumped imo.

hibbie02
13-09-2020, 09:16 AM
We only seem to play badly when we are being shown live. All our worst performances have been in matches shown live. All our best haven't.