PDA

View Full Version : The Rangers Game

Monts
12-09-2020, 04:25 PM
We're fresh off the back of a 4th away win in a row, with a fine performance to match the score. We've also yet to concede from open play this season. We should be brimming with confidence after that, and sit deservedly 2nd in the league.

Unfortunately the one team above us are our next opponent. And they have gone one better than us on the defensive side of things too, having yet to concede at all, and breaking a 114 year ( although we started that trend!) record.

They lost four players to injury today, including Morelos, and have a trip to Gibraltar midweek, so if we are going to beat them, surely this is the time to do it!

Although we will lose Murphy from todays team as he can't play against his parent club. And Porteous took a sore one today, but hopefully will be ok for next week.

Who's going to win the battle of the defences?

PatHead
12-09-2020, 04:29 PM
We're fresh off the back of a 4th away win in a row, with a fine performance to match the score. We've also yet to concede from open play this season. We should be brimming with confidence after that, and sit deservedly 2nd in the league.

Unfortunately the one team above us are our next opponent. And they have gone one better than us on the defensive side of things too, having yet to concede at all, and breaking a 114 year ( although we started that trend!) record.

They lost four players to injury today, including Morelos, and have a trip to Gibraltar midweek, so if we are going to beat them, surely this is the time to do it!

Although we will lose Murphy from todays team as he can't play against his parent club. And Porteous took a sore one today, but hopefully will be ok for next week.

Who's going to win the battle of the defences?

Hibs 8 7

Nevi_SOL
12-09-2020, 04:50 PM
1-0 Hibs

Nisbet

Mikey
12-09-2020, 05:05 PM
I wonder how Murphy will be replaced.

3 at the back with Doig LWB or maybe 4 4 2 with Stevenson at left back and Doig left midfield?

Sir David Gray
12-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Tough game, hopefully a 1-0 win.

Monts
12-09-2020, 05:06 PM

3 at the back with Doig LWB or maybe 4 4 2 with Stevenson at left back and Doig left midfield?

Straight swap for Wright?

Or Allan back in after his transfer falls through... :wink:

bigwheel

Straight swop for Wright ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lord bunberry

I think wright will be a straight replacement.

Heisenberg
12-09-2020, 05:07 PM
We’ll probably need one more in the middle of the park to deal with them. Not sure who should come in.

Billy Whizz
12-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Tough game, hopefully a 1-0 win.

Got the old firm back to back, a nice wee victory m on Sunday sets Hibs up for the trip to Parkhead

CockneyRebel
12-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Got the old firm back to back, a nice wee on Sunday sets up for the trip to Parkhead

Too much information!

Billy Whizz
12-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Too much information!

Oops

Brightside
12-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Rangers will win. 2-1.

jeffers
12-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Need another midfielder in before then or I fully expect their midfield to dominate us. We really struggle when our midfield gets put under pressure.

Onceinawhile
12-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Rangers will win. 2-1.

I'm fairly certain they'll win, but it's our best shot at beating them for some time.

Aribo is out, morelos and Jack injured and a game away in Europe on Thursday. Keeping the fingers crossed but given they're 7 games without conceding, it'll be incredibly tough.

Keith_M
12-09-2020, 06:45 PM
The Rangers have to be massive favourites but hopefully they lose a few players through injury after today.

The 90+2
12-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Take a draw. Three points from next two games would be a fantastic return.

Keith_M
12-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Take a draw. Three points from next two games would be a fantastic return.

But if we draw with The Rangers, how can we possibly get three points from the two games?

:dunno:

hibsbollah
12-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Everything seems to come through Kent Hagi Barisic if the Dundee U highlights are anything to go by. Very impressive performance.

The 90+2
12-09-2020, 07:02 PM
But if we draw with The Rangers, how can we possibly get three points from the two games?

I know we couldn’t, what I mean is I would take a draw but a win from any of the two games would be fantastic.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Rangers will win. 2-1.

Ah is that a fact yeah?

Hibees1973
12-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Our defence is getting some plaudits so far this season.

I would suggest holding fire with these compliments until we find out how good they really are against Rangers and Celtic. If we concede four goals or less over the two games against the big two we may be able to get a draw in either game.

This Hibs team are good on the break and have the ability to score plenty.

My gut feeling is they are way better than us and we will come out with nothing.

I’m not being negative, just honest.

CmoantheHibs
12-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Win against sevco and we will be back at the top of the league. Tough game but something to aim for.

hibee316
12-09-2020, 08:10 PM

I would suggest holding fire with these compliments until we find out how good they really are against Rangers and Celtic. If we concede four goals or less over the two games against the big two we may be able to get a draw in either game.

My gut feeling is they are way better than us and we will come out with nothing.

This.

Both bum cheeks have spent a lot of money to try and win the league this season.
I would be (pleasantly) surprised if we even take a point of either over the season.

Again, just be honest!

Paul1642
12-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Rangers are on excellent form and Celtic will desperate not to fall behind. We will be lucky to take a point from the next two games. We have put a lot of points on the board up until now and that was always the important part. Even if we do lose we are a minimum 4 points clear in 4th.

Onceinawhile
12-09-2020, 08:17 PM
Win against sevco and we will be back at the top of the league. Tough game but something to aim for.

Only if we win 4 nil.

Given rangers have conceded 0 in 7, that seems unlikely.

Their first 6 games, rangers had a COMBINED xga of less than one.

They are going to be a seriously tough nut to crack.

davy67 +
12-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Any sort of a win would be great , but being a realist I'd say it will probably be 0-2 with them getting a ****ty soft penalty. I hope that I'm proved wrong

Vini1875
12-09-2020, 08:43 PM
I think we can beat them playing 442 and hitting them on the counter. I hope JR doesn't mess with things too much to counter them.

matty_f
12-09-2020, 09:03 PM
The one thing about putting big runs together is that the longer they go on, the more likely they are to end.

Rangers have started the season very well, and they’re getting things right at both ends of the pitch. It’ll be our toughest game so far by some distance, and i hope that we don’t fall into the trap of showing them too much respect.

I think Rangers have yet to face a team that’s actually gone out to stack them, we should go on the front foot against them, be aggressive and positive, and see where it gets us.

I watched the highlights of the Rangers game earlier, and Dundee United barely laid a glove on them, they were very stand-offish and Rangers were able to run by them easily. I don’t see us affording Rangers that luxury.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2020, 09:09 PM
I've only see Rangers a couple of times this season but they look a pretty well oiled machine. They seem to have a bit of team spirit about them and danger men throughout the team. Add to that they aren't conceding any goals.

Tough, tough game next week. I think we are in for a real test and I'd take a point right now.

Unseen work
12-09-2020, 10:20 PM
I just think Rangers will be too strong, they look very good so far.

That being said they’ve not played a team as good as us offensively.

If we bring Allan or Wright in for Murphy we could cause them no end of trouble on the counter attack. Doidge and Nisbet will be a constant pest for their defence, Boyle and Wrights pace could really trouble them and Allan is at his best when the opposition are out of position and he has a bit more room to work in.

Big call for Ross with who he brings in and what system we start with, personally I think we’ll go a 352.

B.H.F.C
12-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Hope we take the game to them. The way Ross has approached the games against the Old Firm leaves a bit to be desired. I don’t expect us to win but I hope we give it a go.

The 90+2
12-09-2020, 11:10 PM

No need to be smart either tbh. 👍

Tynie01011973
16-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Hope we go back to Stubbs 3-5-2 set up against them.
Playing 4 in midfield was woeful against them last season as they outnumbered us in central midfield.
They will miss Ryan Jack and Joe Aribo, but still have Kamara,Kent and Arfield(who found acres of space between our midfield/back 4 lines at ER).
Press high rather than sit back and let them dictate play is our best chance IMO

👃

cabbageandribs1875
16-09-2020, 10:04 PM
this season again are we the only team that get back to back games v sevco/sellick :confused:

Vault Boy
16-09-2020, 10:15 PM
Who could be missing for Rangers? Jack, Aribo, Barker? I think Morelos is meant to be back for their game tomorrow. Playing them after a midweek match with three midfielders missing would be ideal.

Having said that, Kamara/Arfield are pretty damn good replacements.

Just Alf
16-09-2020, 10:28 PM
this season again are we the only team that get back to back games v sevco/sellick :confused:Ha ha, I was just thinking that! Glad it's not just me :greengrin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-09-2020, 05:57 AM
this season again are we the only team that get back to back games v sevco/sellick :confused:

Every season seems incredible how the computer can randomly pick out season after season. Probably more chance of winning the lottery. :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-09-2020, 05:58 AM
Who could be missing for Rangers? Jack, Aribo, Barker? I think Morelos is meant to be back for their game tomorrow. Playing them after a midweek match with three midfielders missing would be ideal.

Having said that, Kamara/Arfield are pretty damn good replacements.

Yep unfortunately they have a very strong squad. Jack would be a miss though imo.

Iain G
17-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Yep unfortunately they have a very string squad. Jack would be a miss though imo.

Let's hope we can tie them in knots then :-)

JohnMcM
17-09-2020, 09:42 AM

I hope so, but I'm a frayed knot.:tumble:

JimBHibees
17-09-2020, 10:24 AM

:faf:

Tyler Durden
17-09-2020, 10:48 AM
There’s no way we can play our usual system and compete IMO.

I’d be dropping Doidge and play Boyle and Wright high up the park to support Nisbet. Either in a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 and get as much energy and mobility in the team as possible.

We need to actually press them high for once. I think the last time I remember Hibs using any form or organised press was our last win against Celtic, when Slivka scored early. We need a proper game plan for this game, just going out to play our usual style isn’t going to cut it.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2020, 10:53 AM
There’s no way we can play our usual system and compete IMO.

I’d be dropping Doidge and play Boyle and Wright high up the park to support Nisbet. Either in a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 and get as much energy and mobility in the team as possible.

We need to actually press them high for once. I think the last time I remember Hibs using any form or organised press was our last win against Celtic, when Slivka scored early. We need a proper game plan for this game, just going out to play our usual style isn’t going to cut it.

Doidge is probably the hardest working player in our team. If we want to press them, he has to play. Also the best we have for making the ball stick up front. We need to make sure we support him, not drop him, IMO.

hibbyfraelibby
17-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Every season seems incredible how the computer can randomly pick out season after season. Probably more chance of winning not the lottery. :greengrin

They use the same algorythm as the SQA😉

Eyrie
17-09-2020, 05:40 PM
I saw the Sky trailer for our game last night during the cricket.

It was all about Sevco and ten in a row, and we only got a brief mention at the end. Missed opportunity to talk up Scottish football with a top of the table clash between two teams who have started well.

Jim44
17-09-2020, 05:41 PM
Hibs are 6/1 to win. The bookies don’t get things too far wrong so even our league position is not good enough to earn a fighting chance.

joe breezy
17-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Morelos played and scored tonight, as did Defoe.
Here’s hoping we can get a result though.

Since452
18-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Rangers have definitely held the Indian sign over us recently. I'd be happy with a draw in all honesty.

FilipinoHibs
18-09-2020, 08:25 AM
Roofe also injured inThursday's game. Taken off around half time. Allan likely to be available to
us although almost certainly on the bench.

Brightside
18-09-2020, 08:53 AM
Doidge is probably the hardest working player in our team. If we want to press them, he has to play. Also the best we have for making the ball stick up front. We need to make sure we support him, not drop him, IMO.

Yep - would make no sense to drop Doidge. He's the main out ball for us. I totally agree with pressing them. If we sit back we will get plundered and there will be a thread on here saying the defence needs 4 new players.

S4uzee
18-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Roofe also injured inThursday's game. Taken off around half time. Allan likely to be available to
us although almost certainly on the bench.

Would probably rather Roofe played instead of Morelos

Tyler Durden
18-09-2020, 01:15 PM
Yep - would make no sense to drop Doidge. He's the main out ball for us. I totally agree with pressing them. If we sit back we will get plundered and there will be a thread on here saying the defence needs 4 new players.

I’m as big a Doidge fan as anyone but I would try something different. My fear is that we’ll end up with Nisbet pushed wide, or Mallan coming into a 3–5–2 which might see the 2 forwards isolated anyway and Boyle kept deep.

I think Doidge is slow and we should get fast players high up the park for this one. He won’t be dropped but hopefully the manager has some sort of game plan, which we’ve lacked in the bigger games recently for me.

HendoDelivered
18-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Can see us getting a pumping tbh. I hope I am wrong!

18-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Is this game on TV?

Onceinawhile
18-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Is this game on TV?

Yes, sky sports.

JohnMcM
19-09-2020, 01:56 PM
I won't now be able to watch the match live tomorrow😡 I'll try to avoid the score and watch it on hibs tv later using the hibspass option. When will the full match be available to watch on hibs tv? Thanks for any answers.

Billy Whizz
19-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Can see us getting a pumping tbh. I hope I am wrong!

No way we’ll get a pumping

bigwheel
19-09-2020, 02:14 PM
No way we’ll get a pumping

Think it will be a really hard game ..they are imo the top side this season ..could easily get turned over ....not saying we can’t beat them on a one off, but there is a lot of danger in this game

Phil MaGlass
19-09-2020, 02:16 PM
3-0 huns, my prediction

JohnMcM
19-09-2020, 02:26 PM
I'm aware they have a big squad filled with some decent ballers to replace injured players. I can however see a much closer game than others because their best performances so far this season have seen Aribo and Jack playing big parts. With both of them out they'll lose two players who usually drive forward pretty well.

Ever hopeful:greengrin

jacomo
19-09-2020, 03:04 PM

I’m happy to praise our back line for their performances so far thanks.

Livi showed that the Rangers attack can be pretty blunt at times, same as last season.

JimBHibees
19-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Think we will do well tomorrow. Think scoring draw.

PeeJay
19-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Thought we played very well for the first 25 minutes against Aberdeen before we started to struggle - think we may well see something similar tomorrow, best take any chances we have first time round. Like to see us press them higher up the park and for us to control the game, but not sure our team can provide the work rate needed to do so - looking forward to the game though ...

Since452
19-09-2020, 04:22 PM
Hopefully Rangers fall apart when they concede their first goal

RitchieHibs
19-09-2020, 04:28 PM
It ll be interesting to see Jack's line up and formation. Whether he sticks with a front two with Boyle supporting. I'd like him to as I think we can cause Rangers problems with big Doidge and Nisbet harrying their defense and of course Boyle's quick turn of pace. Looking forward to it and hope we take at least a point from it.

bigwheel
19-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Despite me being worried about tomorrow...if we were to win it would turn expectation levels to a different sphere.....would be a fantastic start to the campaign..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
19-09-2020, 05:34 PM
Had a look at the current league table and I see that we'll have to win by eight goals tomorrow to go back to the top of the league (7-0 wouldn't be enough, as they'd still be ahead on goals scored).

Although, if we win 10-3, we'll be level on goal difference but then we'd go top on goals scored.

OK, 10-3 please Hibs!

:aok:

Tambo
19-09-2020, 06:15 PM
I've not put money in my coral account for about 6 months or so now due to not having money to waste on bets due to my luck.

Just received an email about a free £2 bet so put hibs to win 2-0 at 45/1.

CMurdoch
19-09-2020, 06:27 PM
I've not put money in my coral account for about 6 months or so now due to not having money to waste on bets due to my luck.

Just received an email about a free £2 bet so put hibs to win 2-0 at 45/1.

I think I can see what happened with your previous bets :wink:

04Sauzee
19-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Looks like Hibs are staying over in a Hotel this evening going by Gogic's Instagram story

Hibees1973
19-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Got to give Rangers credit for not conceding a goal in the League so far. Has been well earned. However, you need to have a fair slice of luck for not conceding over 7 games. Not all goals are well constructed so surely they must give away a penalty or a deflected goal at least vey soon.

Remember back in the 70s an Aberdeen team under Turnbull not conceding for around 12 games. They turned up at Easter Road and lost 2-1.

Much as Hibs do score plenty of goals a pragmatic approach will be best tomorrow. We have proved we can defend well and this is a must tomorrow to keep us in the game.

Hope Porteous roughs up Morelos tomorrow and manages to put him off his game. A huffy Morelos will seep through the rest of the Rangers team and start to give them doubts which caused them to drop of a cliff towards the end of last season.

Hope Hibs give them a really tough game tomorrow.

CLASS OF 72 -73
19-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Think we will do well tomorrow. Think scoring draw.
Is't that sad but realistic. Can't we just win and change the norm?

Cabbage East
19-09-2020, 08:55 PM
We have a great record against them recently. I fancy us to win.

Danny Allen
19-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Looks like Hibs are staying over in a Hotel this evening going by Gogic's Instagram story

Yes they are was speaking to Boyle in barbers this morning and he said they were staying in a hotel in Edinburgh tonight

Vault Boy
19-09-2020, 09:03 PM

And not a note in key between the lot of them. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
19-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Yes they are was speaking to Boyle in barbers this morning and he said they were staying in a hotel in Edinburgh tonight

:greengrin I had an Action Man like that once.

erin go bragh
19-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Had a look at the current league table and I see that we'll have to win by eight goals tomorrow to go back to the top of the league (7-0 wouldn't be enough, as they'd still be ahead on goals scored).

Although, if we win 10-3, we'll be level on goal difference but then we'd go top on goals scored.

OK, 10-3 please Hibs!

We have beat them 8-1 at ER

erin go bragh
19-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Hoping this new tannoy system gets right behind the team 😄
1-0 win for us 🤞

wookie70
19-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Hope Ross goes for it. Nisbet and Doidge are both decent workers and could disrupt The Rangers playing from the back as well as giving us more potency up top.

JimBHibees
19-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Is't that sad but realistic. Can't we just win and change the norm?

We are capable of winning but Rangers are strong and draw would be decent.

DH1875
19-09-2020, 10:51 PM
I'll take a draw tomorrow and then beat Celtic next week. They are p poor and seen nothing from them to be scared off. Rangers look the stronger team.

jgl07
19-09-2020, 11:51 PM

OK, 10-3 please Hibs!
Why not 10-0?

Ronster117
19-09-2020, 11:56 PM
They have to loose a goal at some point, when they do I think they will loose 2 so I’m going 2-0 Hibs

TheGog
20-09-2020, 02:24 AM
3-2 hibs just for the sheer exuberance

houstonhibbee
20-09-2020, 03:17 AM
Come on Hi Bees lets get it right up em............

marinello59
20-09-2020, 04:30 AM
An early goal for us today followed by nearly ninety nervy minutes as we hang on for victory.:greengrin

B.H.F.C
20-09-2020, 08:57 AM
An early goal for us today followed by nearly ninety nervy minutes as we hang on for victory.:greengrin

More like 105 minutes if rangers are chasing a goal.

JimBHibees
20-09-2020, 08:59 AM
More like 105 minutes if rangers are chasing a goal.

At a minimum. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
20-09-2020, 09:07 AM
So who’s coming in for Jamie Murphy

JimBHibees
20-09-2020, 09:13 AM
So who’s coming in for Jamie Murphy

My guess would be Drey Wright. Will be interesting if we play 2 strikers, personally don't think we will or will play Nisbet in another role whether more of a number 10 or he doesn't play and play someone like Mallan in a 3 man central mid. Think we will only play one striker in 451 or 4231 type formation.

Souter96Mac
20-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Didn't feel confident at all a few weeks back before the Aberdeen game. But I've got a right good feeling today. Gogic is going to be the difference today. Ever since we lost McGinn/McGeough, we've always lost the midfield battle against Rangers. But I reckon we'll step up today and give them a good fight. Get in to them Hibs

RossScott1991
20-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Just want to see us have a go. None of this counter attack garbage we’ve seen on occasion against old firm. Last time ER when they comfortably beat us 3.0 hibs were pathetic and didn’t lay a glove.

Positive approach please Jack Ross and none of what we seen under Hecky. Though I’m fearful that’s how we will approach it today

DH1875
20-09-2020, 02:38 PM
I'll take a draw tomorrow and then beat Celtic next week. They are p poor and seen nothing from them to be scared off. Rangers look the stronger team.

Take that, now roll onto next week and beat celtic. The league is ours :thumbsup: